XP SP3 for Media Center

Does the following SP3 apply to Windows XP Media Center 2005?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displayLang=en

The system requirements on the above URL do not mention Media Center.

I search everywhere but can't find any information about SP3 for XP Media
Center 2005 Edition. Is there any?

0
John

Yes, it does.

"John" <a> wrote in message news:uoJmZUJQLHA.1784@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Does the following SP3 apply to Windows XP Media Center 2005?
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displayLang=en
>
> The system requirements on the above URL do not mention Media Center.
>
> I search everywhere but can't find any information about SP3 for XP Media
> Center 2005 Edition. Is there any?

0
Craven
8/20/2010 7:13:32 PM
"John" <a> wrote in message news:uoJmZUJQLHA.1784@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Does the following SP3 apply to Windows XP Media Center 2005?
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displayLang=en
>
> The system requirements on the above URL do not mention Media Center.
>
> I search everywhere but can't find any information about SP3 for XP Media
> Center 2005 Edition. Is there any?

Yes.  Media Center is nothing but XP with makeup and a dress.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Michael
8/20/2010 7:32:56 PM
"Michael" <dshsh@sdhfsd.com> wrote in message

> "John" <a> wrote in message news:uoJmZUJQLHA.1784@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Does the following SP3 apply to Windows XP Media Center 2005?
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displayLang=en
>>
>> The system requirements on the above URL do not mention Media Center.
>>
>> I search everywhere but can't find any information about SP3 for XP Media
>> Center 2005 Edition. Is there any?
>>

> Yes.  Media Center is nothing but XP with makeup and a dress.

but it's still a pig, right? :-)

Anyway... thanks for your reply. I just find it odd that Media Center isn't
mentioned in the System Requirements.

0
John
8/20/2010 8:07:02 PM
Thanks. I downloaded & installed a few days ago without a problem. Just want
to be sure I got the correct SP3.

"Craven Moorehead" <craven@cmoorehead.invalid> wrote in message
> Yes, it does.
>
> "John" <a> wrote in message news:uoJmZUJQLHA.1784@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Does the following SP3 apply to Windows XP Media Center 2005?
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displayLang=en
>>
>> The system requirements on the above URL do not mention Media Center.
>>
>> I search everywhere but can't find any information about SP3 for XP Media
>> Center 2005 Edition. Is there any?

0
John
8/20/2010 8:08:23 PM
There's only 1.

"John" <a> wrote in message news:%23I7syNKQLHA.456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Thanks. I downloaded & installed a few days ago without a problem. Just
> want to be sure I got the correct SP3.
>
> "Craven Moorehead" <craven@cmoorehead.invalid> wrote in message
>> Yes, it does.
>>
>> "John" <a> wrote in message news:uoJmZUJQLHA.1784@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Does the following SP3 apply to Windows XP Media Center 2005?
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displayLang=en
>>>
>>> The system requirements on the above URL do not mention Media Center.
>>>
>>> I search everywhere but can't find any information about SP3 for XP
>>> Media Center 2005 Edition. Is there any?

0
Craven
8/20/2010 8:27:18 PM
John wrote:
> Anyway... thanks for your reply. I just find it odd that Media Center isn't
> mentioned in the System Requirements.

You expect MS to make things like this simple ? <w>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displayLang=en
The download page contains a link towards the bottom for -

Related Resources - Windows XP Service Pack 3 Whitepaper
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en

On that download page it shows System Requirements - Supported Operating
Systems does contain Windows XP Media Center Edition.

If MS was logical, Windows XP Media Center Edition would also be listed
on the SP3 download page as a Supported Operating System.
Apparently, MS isn't logical <w>

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

MowGreen
8/20/2010 9:47:00 PM
"MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Related Resources - Windows XP Service Pack 3 Whitepaper
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en
>
> On that download page it shows System Requirements - Supported Operating
> Systems does contain Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I thought that System Requirements is for reading the XP SP3 overview
documents (DOCX, PDF or XPS files), not for installing SP3.

> If MS was logical, Windows XP Media Center Edition would also be listed on
> the SP3 download page as a Supported Operating System.
> Apparently, MS isn't logical <w>

Yup, it should've been listed on that page.

0
John
8/20/2010 11:00:47 PM
John wrote:
> "MowGreen"<mowgreen@nowandzen.com>  wrote in message
>> Related Resources - Windows XP Service Pack 3 Whitepaper
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en
>>
>> On that download page it shows System Requirements - Supported Operating
>> Systems does contain Windows XP Media Center Edition.
>
> I thought that System Requirements is for reading the XP SP3 overview
> documents (DOCX, PDF or XPS files), not for installing SP3.

Nope, all OSes listed are variants of XP that SP3 is suitable for.

>> If MS was logical, Windows XP Media Center Edition would also be listed on
>> the SP3 download page as a Supported Operating System.
>> Apparently, MS isn't logical<w>
>
> Yup, it should've been listed on that page.

MS likes to make it difficult to find accurate information in one
location. Why do you think they have so many MVPs ? Because the MVPs
know that MS scatters accurate information all over their Support pages
and they know how to find it. <w>

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

MowGreen

xp- word version not compatible
We recently purchased new desktop computers at our office which run office xp. We found out after the purchase that some of our software is not xp compatible so we need a version of word that is 2000, or 97. Is it possible that microsoft could give us a copy of word 2000 being that we have already purchased xp? ...

Access in guest acct XP Pro
i need to allow a guest account to use the PC, but deny access to Control Panel, Network Places. Lots of pretty complicated regedits, gpedits, etc. any easy, less scary way? thanx ...

Trying to recover contacts after XP reinstall
I recently had to reinstall XP. Before I did, I saved the entire Outlook Express folder stored in Program Files to an external hard drive. It has about 15 files in it. The wab file is empty. Is there anything in there I can use to access the contacts? Any of the large dll files? Thanks! None of your data was stored in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express <=this folder. For future reference: Backup & Restore OE Data http://www.insideoe.com/backup/ Patrick wrote: > I recently had to reinstall XP. Before I did, I saved the entire Outlook > Express folder sto...

Conflict between Microsoft Publisher and Office XP 2002
Need urgent help to be able to continue my work!! I upgrade from Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition to Microsoft office XP 2002. When I install Microsoft office XP 2002 DOES NOT allow me to use my Publisher. If I installed the Publisher (in fact the complete Office 2000 package) after having installed the Microsoft office XP 2002, the Publisher will work but the Microsoft office XP 2002 WILL NOT. I need both packages and need to resolve this issue!! I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks again! Rafael Belloso Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility http://support...

XP/SP2 Platform SDK (Aug 2004) & MFC Applications
Does anyone know how you are supposed to compile & link MFC applications once the Windows XP/SP2 Platform SDK is installed and registered with Visual Studio .Net 2003??? You get unresolved errors if you #import type library files. To duplicate the problem, all you have to do is create a simple MFC dialog application and add the following dummy call (obviously this call will crash if you were to run the application--but that is not my concern now): #include <comdef.h> .... _com_dispatch_method(NULL, 0, 0, VT_EMPTY, NULL, NULL); This gives LNK2019 errors on the call such as: ...

Office 2000 and Windows XP
If I upgrade to Windows XP Home Edition, is my Microsoft Office 2000 application compatible with this operating system? Yes. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Richard Perry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06d601c4aacf$18f1aba0$a601280a@phx.gbl... | If I upgrade to Windows XP Home Edition, is my Microsoft | Office 2000 application compatible with this operating | system? OK but When I attempt to load Office I get an Error msg:" Windows files must be installed to proceed. Insert your Windows XP Professional(I have Home) CD now." I am insta...

Help to delete previous XP installs
Hello, We had installed XP Pro but somehow it became unbootable. After messing around we decided to start at the top and reinstall. We did this but twice were interrupted and started again. Consequently we have this.. C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS.0 C:\WINDOWS.1 C:\WINDOWS.2 The correct one we have working now is C:\WINDOWS.2 Now in the Documents and settings directory, we have all these sub dirs.. The ones with (Correct Date) are the ones associated with the current correct XP. How do I get rid of the rest please? Thanks rock ------------------------ Admin A...

COA sticker OEM XP Pro
Hi, A year or two ago I bought an OEM copy of XP PRO from a well-know retailer. Upon looking in the envelope now I see no COA anywhere. I see something called the COA barcode on the outside of the envelope..it's an XP Pro SP3 disk. Does anyone have any idea why no COA was included. Again I got if from where many think is the best place to buy this sort of thing - it has to be genuine, but I'm not undetstanding why there's no COA sticker. Any help appreciated. Lee What did this well-known retailer tell you when you asked them about this? goldtech wrote: > A year...

windows xp
I tried to uninstall the program "logmein" but I am unable to do it neither from add/remove programs in control panel, nor by manually removing all folders after a search. I get a message "access denied" and "another version of the pogram is running" while there is no other version on the system. How do I get rid of the program? Thanks. R. Meron Microsoft's Help system has landed you in the wrong newsgroup: this one is for the database program Microsoft Access. Please use the dropdown box (the one that says "Access" by default) to select ...

Share email folder between XP and win7
Hi, I'd like to share my email folder under win XP and Win7 x64. I installed under both windows the same version of WLM (32bit version) then I import my OE email under Win7 but after I set the same folder to WLM under XP and I open it, WLM reports a problem reading the emails and starts recovering them creating a mess inside the folder containing the emails. I wonder if there's a workaround to this problem. Thanks in advance. On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:26:25 +0100, 4N wrote: > I'd like to share my email folder under win XP and Win7 x64. > I installed under ...

changing from outlook 2000 to outlook xp
i just bought a new computer and want to move all my outlook 2000 personal folders from my old computer--to my new computer which is running outlook xp. What's the best way to do this? thanks, Sammy http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer sammy russo <sammy@aorafting.com> asked: | i just bought a new computer and want to move all my | outlook 2000 personal folders from my old computer--to my | new computer which is runnin...

Dual Boot Win 98 and Win XP Pro
Currently dual boot WIN SE 98SE with WinXP Pro I have 2 hard drives C(Win98) and D (WinXP Pro) I just imaged each drive. I would like to add a partition to the C drive and then either move,copy or restore the image of the D drive to the new partition on C drive . Should the partition be Primary or logical My current BOOT>INI is: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microso...

I can't get Windows XP Professional started!
Everytime i start my computer, it comes up with a black screen saying: Windows XP Professional could not start due to damage in/ or missing file: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM\ press r to repair, but nothing happens. It's a laptop and I have no XP CD for it. The computer came with XP on it, so all I've got is a product key on a label. I can't start it in failsafe condition or anything else when I use F8, it just goes back to the previous??? I can, however, enter the BIOS settings screen (F2), if that's any help. I was wondering if I could just delete the who...

Windows XP...computer shuts down and blue screen comes up with wri
I will be on my computer then all of a sudden it shuts down then blue screen comes up with white writing on it...then disappears really fast...keeps happening quite often. The computer restarts it's self back up. I don't understand what is going on...I hope someone could please help me...Help Please!!!! :-) "Debbie" wrote: > I will be on my computer then all of a sudden it shuts down then blue screen > comes up with white writing on it...then disappears really fast...keeps > happening quite often. The computer restarts it's self back up. I do...

macro to login GP using Window XP Schedule Tasks stopped working
I have create a batch file that runs a macro to login to Great Plains and then print out report to a text file then logs out of Great Plains. This is run every night on the server so I use the 'Schedule Tasks' in Window XP to do this. I normally logon to the server using Remote Desktop Connection to see if it is running. I actually see GP being login to, print the report & then logs out. It has been working fine about 90% of the time for the last 2 months. But I sometime would get an "Error: Field on window is inactive or disabled. Last Line: 20". In my ...

Magnetic Media for prior years
My client needs to send copies of their W2's to SS for 2007. They didn't own mag media then. When I go in to create the file it only gives me 2008 as an option. Is there a way to make 2007 data available so we don't have to re-print 200 W2's? Thanks for any help. Tracey D ...

windows media player
Hello I have a Sound Blaster X-fi Surround 5.1 soundcard. Is there way to play an ac3 file with encoding intact into the passthrough toslink? Thanks Tom Obenschain Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this something that should be addressed in the owner's manual? Or, a question you should be directing to Creative Labs Support? Doesn't the manual explain the capabilities and how to connect this item? On 2010-07-12 10:37, tobenschain wrote: > Hello > > I have a Sound Blaster X-fi Surround 5.1 soundcard. Is there way to play > an ac3 file with enco...

Synchronisation Between Handspring Treo and Outlook in Office XP
I recently upgraded to Office XP. Previously, I had had few problems synchronizing between my Handspring Treo (PocketMirror)and Outlook. Since upgrading however, I continually get "The default Outlook profile has changed. If you continue, a Recovery synchronization will be performed possibly causing duplication of items." Please advise what I need to do. I've updated to PocketMirror 3.1.6 Check with Chapura support - they may have something on their support pages about this. It's not an Outlook error message. Trevor Parry wrote: > I recently upgraded to Offic...

XP DVD Drive.
Just a pefunctory query, New XP computer with "Western Digital" super ritemaster DVD drive Used the drive to install XP OS but the drive will not read my CDRom data discs I burnt in 2007 they read on an old clunker. Would that be an XP software or activation issue or DVD issue, and if so what suitable NG please? thanks in advance. It could be the media just isn't compatible. That happens now and again, especially if it's cheap. "rodney" <pookiethai@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message news:4bb94dc2$0$56415$c30e37c6@exi-reader.telstra.net... :...

KB292249 is not fixed in Outllook Editions (2003) or XP
The problem reported in KB292249 is not fixed in Outlook 2003, Outlook XP, for that matter any past Outlooks. Is there a plan to fix it in a service pack? This is the most annoying bug ever for POP users and shows time and again that Microsoft software programmers are unable to write multi-threaded programs properly. -Pawan ...

Win XP won't log off with Outlook open
When a user tries to log off of Windows XP with Outlook 2002 still open, a message is displayed. It says "please close any Microsoft Office applications before logging off." Then a screen comes up and gives you the option to end the task or wait. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. ...

XP slow to load programs
This is one of those questions that I don't think anyone has an answer to. The programs on my xp machine are very slow to load ie outlook takes 3 minutes. The loading time keep getting longer and longer over time. I did all the standard stuff, defragged, ran three spyware programs, three registry cleanup programs, ran windows update, limited the number of startup programs, ran disk cleanup and etc. I have 2 gig or ram and half of my 200g hard drive is empty. It just keeps slowing down over the months. Sadly, I think that this is just standard windows behaviour that we have ...

Re: VBscript works normally on Windows XP/Win2003 but not on Win Vista -> "Invalid class" error
"Estefania" <Sant merdir> escribi� en el mensaje de noticias:... > > > "Estefania" <Sant merdir> escribi� en el mensaje de > noticias:F45434D2-7809-4C21-B06F-B2EEA3026A3C@microsoft.com... >> >> >> "Estefania" <Sant merdir> escribi� en el mensaje de >> noticias:EE6921A8-5D3D-42B6-AE35-58B998ED4262@microsoft.com... >>> >>> >>> "Nick Dakoronias" <dakoroni@gmail.com> escribi� en el mensaje de >>> noticias:AF5BC5A9-873A-447E-9FD4-F75E0F89655D@mic...

Re: Windows XP continuously reboots
Shawn Haney wrote: > I cannot get to the start menu to disable the auto reboot. It just > keep taking me back to the screen that wants me to pick safe mode, > sfae mode with networking, etc. I have tried all of options, but it > just keeps doing the same thing. Do you have the options listed here: http://help.artaro.eu/images/winxp/xptroubleshooting01.jpg If so, you can select "Disable automatic restart on system failure." You might have to press F8 or F5 repeatedly after you turn the PC on to get this menu. ...

Windows Media Player on 2008
Not sure if this is the right group to get an answer on this, but here goes.... WE have a requirement for Windows Media Player on our W2008/TS/XenApp5 farm. I know I can get it from enabling the "Desktop Experience" feature in 2008. However, I really dont want all the other crap that it installs such as Defender Mail etc. Is there a way to remove these, or even simpler a way to "install" WMP without going near the Feature above? Thanks Simon ...