XP Pro SP3 - Repair install failure

Hello!

In a bit of a bind; hoping someone can help me!

I have a laptop here that was not logging in correctly - it would log in
and immediately log out. Drive showed minor failure, so I did a surface
scan and remapped the failing sector. Ran SFC which replaced one file -
still wasn't working.

So I tried a repair install. Normally, this fixes just about any darn
thing.

Not this time. On the initial boot afterwards (the black screen with
logo), it just hangs. Power down and reboot, it allows log in, then says
"windows must be activated before you can log in". Upon saying yes
(because no isn't really an option), the activation windows disappears
and.. nothing: I'm left staring at the green hills that are becoming
increasingly less calming.

If anybody has any ideas that will spare me the pain of having to do a
clean rebuild of this system, I'd be most appreciative!
0
Dances

Dances with Servers wrote:
> Hello!
>
> In a bit of a bind; hoping someone can help me!
>
> I have a laptop here that was not logging in correctly - it would log
> in and immediately log out. Drive showed minor failure, so I did a
> surface scan and remapped the failing sector. Ran SFC which replaced
> one file - still wasn't working.
>
> So I tried a repair install. Normally, this fixes just about any darn
> thing.
>
> Not this time. On the initial boot afterwards (the black screen with
> logo), it just hangs. Power down and reboot, it allows log in, then
> says "windows must be activated before you can log in". Upon saying
> yes (because no isn't really an option), the activation windows
> disappears and.. nothing: I'm left staring at the green hills that
> are becoming increasingly less calming.

Are you saying Windows finishes booting but the activation window doesn'r
open?  If yes, open it manually...

Start
    Programs
        Accessories

            -OR -

Start
    Run
        type in "oobe/msoobe /a".

If no, try from safe mode.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
9/6/2010 5:22:04 PM
Your described issues notwithstanding, had IE8 or IE7 been installed before
you did this are any other Repair Install?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Dances with Servers wrote:
> I have a laptop here that was not logging in correctly - it would log in
> and immediately log out. Drive showed minor failure, so I did a surface
> scan and remapped the failing sector. Ran SFC which replaced one file -
> still wasn't working.
>
> So I tried a repair install. Normally, this fixes just about any darn
> thing.
>
> Not this time. On the initial boot afterwards (the black screen with
> logo), it just hangs. Power down and reboot, it allows log in, then says
> "windows must be activated before you can log in". Upon saying yes
> (because no isn't really an option), the activation windows disappears
> and.. nothing: I'm left staring at the green hills that are becoming
> increasingly less calming.
>
> If anybody has any ideas that will spare me the pain of having to do a
> clean rebuild of this system, I'd be most appreciative!

0
PA
9/6/2010 5:28:44 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Your described issues notwithstanding, had IE8 or IE7 been installed
> before you did this are any other Repair Install?

Yes, and I suspect yes. IE8 had been installed, and there is a chance he
did a repair install himself about 12 onths ago. Thankyou for asking!
0
Dances
9/7/2010 1:06:56 AM
See...

   . How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version
of Internet Explorer is installed
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

If IE8 was not uninstalled prior to doing the Repair Install, the only
recourse now is to format the HDD & then do a clean install.

Dances with Servers wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Your described issues notwithstanding, had IE8 or IE7 been installed
>> before you did this are any other Repair Install?
>
> Yes, and I suspect yes. IE8 had been installed, and there is a chance he
> did a repair install himself about 12 onths ago. Thankyou for asking!

0
PA
9/7/2010 5:29:29 AM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> See...
>
>   . How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later
> version of Internet Explorer is installed
>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
>
> If IE8 was not uninstalled prior to doing the Repair Install, the only
> recourse now is to format the HDD & then do a clean install.
>

> Dances with Servers wrote:
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> Your described issues notwithstanding, had IE8 or IE7 been installed
>>> before you did this are any other Repair Install?
>>
>> Yes, and I suspect yes. IE8 had been installed, and there is a chance he
>> did a repair install himself about 12 onths ago. Thankyou for asking!

Cheers for the advice - you've given me one last straw to clutch at
before a rebuild!

I might be able to fool it into workin by removing the IE files from the
drive, in the hopes that a repair install might then be able to work
properly. I'm assuming the windows activation process is failing because
it cannot run IE?
0
Dances
9/7/2010 12:02:36 PM
Dances with Servers wrote:

>>> Yes, and I suspect yes. IE8 had been installed, and there is a chance he
>>> did a repair install himself about 12 onths ago. Thankyou for asking!
>>
>> See...
>>
>>   . How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later
>> version of Internet Explorer is installed
>>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
>>
>> If IE8 was not uninstalled prior to doing the Repair Install, the only
>> recourse now is to format the HDD & then do a clean install.
>>
> Cheers for the advice - you've given me one last straw to clutch at
> before a rebuild!

That's no last straw but yet another reason to do a clean install.

> I might be able to fool it into workin by removing the IE files from the
> drive, in the hopes that a repair install might then be able to work
> properly.

That will not work.

> I'm assuming the windows activation process is failing because
> it cannot run IE?

That and the fact that the computer's probably still infested with
hijackware (which neither System Restore nor a Repair Install will resolve).

0
PA
9/7/2010 1:25:49 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Dances with Servers wrote:

>> I might be able to fool it into workin by removing the IE files from the
>> drive, in the hopes that a repair install might then be able to work
>> properly.
>
> That will not work.

Worked a treat - at least as far as this issue is concerned :)

>> I'm assuming the windows activation process is failing because
>> it cannot run IE?
>
> That and the fact that the computer's probably still infested with
> hijackware (which neither System Restore nor a Repair Install will
> resolve).

There was -still- something buried that I gave up on finding; completing
the rebuild now. But for anyone else who is facing the other issue -
windows hanging on the 'please wait' screen, then after choosing the
activate - deleting all the file in the internet explorer folder and
re-doing the repair install should get you past it.
0
Dances

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

MN-130 cannot be installed
The computer OS(XP-PRO sp3)detects the card(network PCI)but cannot find a driver.The card is made by Microsoft,but nothing is found in Microsoft.com.or any place on the Web.Any ideas?thanx MSBBN: How to Install the MN110, MN120, MN130, MN510, and MN520 Network Adapters http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810953 and MSBBN: MN-130 Network Adapter Is Not Recognized http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812468 Jack Kanter wrote: > The computer OS(XP-PRO sp3)detects the card(network PCI)but cannot find > a driver.The card is made by Microsoft,but nothing is found in > Micro...

Installation of Office XP SP3 issue...
I am using the Outlook 2002 client. Since I have installed Office XP "Service Pack 3", I have noticed that each time a mail message arrives in my mailbox, a window pop's up stating that ... A program is trying to access email addresss you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? etc... This is really annoying. How do I turn this off?? Thanks, Brad See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outl...

Dynamics GP Web Service Install Error
I have installed the default databases for Great Plains 9.0 along with SP2 on a standalone Windows 2003 Server that is not a domain controller. When I go to install Dynamics GP Web Services I get an error just before it finishes that indicates the following: ADAM Error... The value entered for Administrator is not a valid user account. In the unattended setup file, type a valid user account in the Administrator field, and then run Setup again. Does anyone have any advice to get me past this point? I forgot to mention the error code: Error Code: 20020 "Dennis" wrote: >...

After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it
The subject line says it all. On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link button). The error signature is always the same: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is. With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I ha...

Office XP transfer of files to new PC
I am transfering files from my old PC to a new one and I want to take my Office XP just as it is on the old one to the new one; settings and all. Anyone know how to do this? First, you must reinstall Office. Then you can configure Outlook to use the same Outlook Data File (PST file) you were using before instead of the new blank one it created when you installed Outlook: - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add... - Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the Options dialog - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or chan...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Outlook 2000 SP3

Microsoft Office XP excel 2003
When I open Excel 2003 the splash screen hangs for 30 seconds to about a minute and then excel opens and behaves normally. All other office programs such as Word etc open quickly and behave normally. If Excel is opened in safe mode , the program opens rapidly without any splash screen at all. Any explanations and indeed a cure for this behaviour ? Regards -- FLYNNE When you open excel in safe mode, you're not opening the addins or stuff in your XLStart folder or your customized toolbar. If you don't have lots of addins turned on and don't have lots of stuff in your XLS...

CFileDialog failure
#define MAX_FILE_COUNT 1 //define it to 1. It make it easy to reproduce this error CString strFilesSelected; CFileDialog *pFileDialog=NULL; while(1) { pFileDialog = new CFileDialog(TRUE, 0, "C:\\",OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT, "All Files (*.*)|*.*||", CWnd::FromHandle(hStatusWnd)); pFileDialog->GetOFN().lpstrFile = strFilesSelected.GetBuffer((_MAX_PATH + 1) * MAX_FILE_COUNT + 1); pFileDialog->GetOFN().nMaxFile = (_MAX_PATH + 1) * MAX_FILE_COUNT + 1; nResult = pFileDialog->DoModal(); ...

Publisher 2002 photo and graphic problems on xp
Microsoft Publisher 2002 works well on my old computer with Windows 98. However, I installed Pub. 2002 in my new computer with Windows XP and have many problems with photos and graphics just showing outline or no image at all. Is 2002 compatable with Windows XP? Yes, Publisher 2002 is compatible with Windows XP, it should work better than it did on 98. View, pictures, detailed display. If this isn't the solution.... Even though your computer is new, it doesn't necessarily mean your video driver is up to date. Try this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel,...

Polcheck error in exchange 03 install
I am at the point of install now running ORGCheck before we deploy our first exchange 2003 server (co-exist w/55). We have a single domain, single forest, 2 sites. Site 1 has 2 DCs (which are also GCs) and the exchange 5.5 box. It also has the new box where exchange 2003 will be going to. From the Exchange 2003 computer (2003 member server) I ran Forest Prep and Domain Prep. The DCs are on the same switch. Site 2 has 1 DC (also gc) connected over a DSL VPN ------------ I get this error from the policy check: =============================================== Local domain is "mydom...

restore after re-install
I had to used the restore disc after my config.sys got corrupted some how on my desk top pc. The disc re-installed the os xp professional. Can I still recover files from the older os? I had about 41 gb left on the 80 gb hard disk prior to the problem and have about the same left now. I am hoping the new install was just put over the old. My restore point is the date I used the restore disc. I have tried system restore, both normally and in the safe mode. I also tried the administrator w/command code in the safe mode. I am really only concerned about getting pictures back....

Save & Install Add-In with VBA
I'm trying to write code to save an activeworkbook as an addin and then install the addin just saved. Can anyone help me with this? This seemed to work ok for me: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim wkbk As Workbook Dim myAddin As AddIn Dim myPath As String Dim myFileName As String myPath = "C:\my documents\excel\" myFileName = "book1.xla" Set wkbk = ActiveWorkbook If wkbk Is ThisWorkbook Then MsgBox "not this workbook!" Exit Sub End If With wkbk .IsAddin = True Appl...

Money 2001 and xp #2
Hi, I've been using money for some time but just recently I keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be preformed " and each time I go from one account to onther this box keeps poping up and then the other box opens asking do I want to send this report to Microsoft can you suggest for me what to do i CAN'T SEEM TO GET ONTO MICROSOFT TO HELP ME OUT Regards Robert (Australia ) In microsoft.public.money, Robert Herod wrote: >I've been using money for some time but just recently I >keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be &g...

Excel program tries to install when opening the file
When trying to open an excel document from explorer, a dialogue box appears for installing excel from the Microsoft Small Business disk. However, if you open an excel file from within the application, the document is brought up. In other words, if I open excel and then request the appropriate file, the document can be retrieved. If I try to open the file directly from explorer, it asks me to load the installation disk. Hi maybe the following helps: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;265194 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Rockin4k" <Rock...

Folder sharing in XP Home vs. XP Pro?
Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think I've done anything different between the two machines when sharing out folders. Yousuf Khan "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b4001f8$1@news.bnb-lp.com... > Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running > XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think > I've done anything different between the two machines when shar...

Installing Money 2007 #2
I have Money 2003 on my computer and I just purchased Money 2007 Deluxe. Do I need to have the latest version and where can I find them so that i can use Money 2007. Everytime I try to install, I get a message telling me that I need the latest version or the Service Pack. Can someone tell me what I need to get this Deluxe installed. Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, JMacon wrote: >I have Money 2003 on my computer and I just purchased Money 2007 Deluxe. Do >I need to have the latest version and where can I find them so that i can use >Money 2007. Everytime I try to inst...

Multiple CRM 3.0 Installs in One Domain
We'd like to have 2 CRM 3.0 environments (dev and production) such that crm.domain.com points to production and crmtest.domain.com points to a dev environment. These will be mutually exclusive environments in that they will not need to share data. The dev environment will serve 2 purposes. 1. development arena - custom entities, callouts, etc 2. training arena - for internal company use I hear a lot of talk about CRM supporting such a configuration, but no reference to where I can find the documentation that would tell us how to implement it. Can anyone help out with that? Also, if...

XP Pro desktop Search updates
Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. The latest update is 4 and I have not installed that. Zeus cf. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2008/06/03/windows-search-4-0-released-to-web.aspx & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 Zeus wrote: > Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the > one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. > The > latest update is 4 and I have...

Can't Send Messages Using Outlook Web Access & XP
Our users with Windows XP cannot send messages using OWA. I've read a few KB articles about some incompatabilities between XP and OWA, but none of the proposed fixes (using the "basic" rather than "premium" client, or changing the security settings in IE) seem to solve this last problem. When they click on "send", it generates an unspecified "error on page". The problem occurs using IE and Firefox, but just on XP machines. My Windows 2000 machine works fine using IE and even my Macintosh using Safari (gasp!) works. ...

AfxDaoInit fails on Win XP SP2
Hi, after deinstalling some test applications and then installing the Win XP SP2 a call to AfxDaoInit() fails with a CDaoException. This usually means that the Jet is missing. Windows however reports that the Jet is now part of the system so its not possible to install the latest Microsoft Jet 4.0 SP as well. Any idea how to check the presence of the Jet and solve the issue? Thank you for your time and help. Regards Thomas Trick ...

Installation issue on v3c
I have tried to use the installation package made availabel on 21st december to install the CRM client on Outlook 2007 running under Vista. This is a copletely fresh build of Vista and Office 2007. However, it gets to the point where it says that it must have .NET installed. Indeed, it tells me I must manually install it. But, of course, ..NET 3.0 is already installed as part of the operating system (Vista). If I try to run the redistribatiuon package it will (and does as I trie dit) prevent it installing as it is already there and is intelligent enough to know that. I ave admin r...

Repeating 'Installing Money' message.
I enrolled in a Visual Basic.net class and had to update my windows XP home edition to XP Professional. After installation, I periodically get a popup dialogue box telling me that Microsoft Money is being installed. Then it tells me it cannot find the installation disc. The drive path looks like money was initially installed from someone's network. Computer came from Best Buy last year with MONEY preinstalled. If I press Cancel, the message goes away but comes back a little later. I tried putting someone's Money disks in the drive to see if reinstalling the product wou...

Winxp-pro SATA / AHCI / cannot run Defrag chkdsk etc
Looks like may of gone 'too' far , pc is running using sata-2 hard drives (x2) , installed is the intel ICH10R driver . gigabyte m-board set to achi? / ide ... hard drives c-d/e-f , 1 sata dvd 1 ide dvd drive I now find that I cannot run any of the windows boot tools .. comes up with 'cannot access volume' and then boots tried to run the win-xp install disk .. runs .. then after installing the sata drive . comes up with error message , linked to volume data drive D and stalls .. with no drive .. cannot access the volume ...