XP account password lost

Hi my wife has managed to forget her password on her PC, she uses a
password to keep the kids out but has now managed to keep her self out.
Is there a way she can get the password back or override it and make a
new one?

Gerald
0
Gerald

"Gerald Bramwell" <newsgroups@animals-in-distress.net> wrote in message
> Hi my wife has managed to forget her password on her PC, she uses a
> password to keep the kids out but has now managed to keep her self out. Is
> there a way she can get the password back or override it and make a new
> one?
>
> Gerald

Google is your friend. Try typing these words into a Google search box:

Windows password lost

You'll be pleasantly surprised!

0
Pegasus
11/21/2009 11:09:32 PM

"Gerald Bramwell" <newsgroups@animals-in-distress.net> wrote in message
> Hi my wife has managed to forget her password on her PC, she uses a
> password to keep the kids out but has now managed to keep her self out. Is
> there a way she can get the password back or override it and make a new
> one?
>
> Gerald

Note: There is a hidden 'Administrator' account (the account name is:
Administrator) in Windows.
The default password for this hidden account is normally blank (none).

For XP Home users:
Boot the computer into Safe Mode
Do this by pressing the F8 key (several times) after the Power On Self Test
is finished, until the Start menu appears.
This will get you to the correct menu window.
Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account
and any other accounts.
(Note: Accounts are displayed alphabetically).
Use the mouse or Up/down arrow keys to highlight the 'Administrator'
account;
Remember as mentioned above: The default password is a blank (no password
required).

Also See: Forgotten your Windows XP Home password
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894902/en-us
and: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894901/
Note: The above articles refer to a "Password Reset Disk"

For XP Pro users:
You do not need to go into Safe Mode.
At the Welcome Screen, do/press the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys twice to display the
Windows logon box.
Type in "Administrator" (without the quotes) and 'if' you assigned a
password when you set up Windows, then enter it.
(Note: by default the password is blank, no password need be entered)

Once your in, then:
Click Start/Run/and type in: Control Userpasswords2 and then press OK
Next click the 'Users' tab (if it's not already selected).
Now click on the user's account name.that you want to change/reset the
password for, and
Click the  'Reset Password' button located at the bottom right.
Enter the new password into the 'New password' box,
Enter the same password again in the 'Confirm new password' box.
Next click the 'OK' button and once again click 'OK'.
Finally restart your PC, and logon using the account name and password you
entered.

Also see: How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or if your
password expires
(This Microsoft article applies to both XP Home and Pro)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305/en-us

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

0
JS
11/21/2009 11:20:54 PM
"Gerald Bramwell" <newsgroups@animals-in-distress.net> wrote in message
> Hi my wife has managed to forget her password on her PC, she uses a
> password to keep the kids out but has now managed to keep her self out. Is
> there a way she can get the password back or override it and make a new
> one?
>
> Gerald

Gerald:
In case the suggestions offered by "JS" don't resolve the problem try
this...

There is a freely-available program that many users employ to get over this
hurdle by resetting the administrator's password to a blank. You may want to
give it a try in case you've found no other way to resolve this password
problem.

Obviously you have available another PC connected to the net so that you can
download the necessary program.

Download the file to reset your password from...
1. On the top of the webpage click on the "Bootdisk" button.
2. In the "Download" section toward the bottom of the page click on the
cd080802.zip file and download it to your Desktop. Note it's a ZIP file so
the contents of that file will have to be extracted.
3. I assume you know how to do this by merely right-clicking on the ZIP
file, click on Extract All, Next, Next, Finish.
4. A folder will be created on your Desktop titled "cd080802".
5. Inside that folder will be the cd080802.iso file. It's this .iso file
that allows you to create a bootable CD from that .iso image.
6. Hopefully, you have a CD-burning program, e.g., Nero, Roxio, etc., that
allows you to merely double-click on the .iso file and the program will open
and create a bootable CD from that .iso image. If you don't have such a
program perhaps you have a friend or acquaintance who does and he or she can
help you with creating the bootable CD. There are other programs available
on the net that allow you to do this as well - one popular program is the
freely-available ISO Recorder program -
see...http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Now that you've created the bootable CD that's designed to reset your
password, insert the CD in your optical drive and boot to it.

The following are step-by-step instructions for using the program. The
example involved is a single-partitioned HDD, but the basic steps are the
same for any size HDD, except where the drive is multi-partitioned. If the
latter is the case the steps will be slightly different but they will not be
unduly complicated or substantially different under those circumstances.

As you progress through the screens the information provided and steps
involved may appear more complicated than they really are. In virtually
every step during the process the user will simply be pressing the Enter key
or some other simple keystroke. So don't be intimidated by what appears to
be a lengthy & complicated process. It really isn't.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Case is important when responding to the prompts so ensure
you enter the correct lower or upper case.

1. Hopefully your PC is set up so that it will boot to a bootable CD. If
it's not, change the motherboard's BIOS boot priority setting so that the
CD-ROM (optical drive) is first in boot priority.

2. Boot to the password reset CD. At the first screen you will see the
"boot:" prompt. Press Enter.

3. "Step ONE" is to select the drive on which the Windows OS is installed.
If the drive has been multi-partitioned all the partitions will be listed.
The prompt ("Step ONE") will be "Select: [1]".
Press Enter assuming [1] is the boot partition. Otherwise enter the correct
number of the partition containing boot system.

4. The next prompt ("Step TWO") will be "What is the path to the registry
directory? (relative to windows disk) [WINDOWS/system32/config]:". Once
again, press Enter.

5. The next prompt will list a number of options of which [1] is "Password
reset...". Press Enter.

6. The next prompt at "Step THREE: Password or registry edit" will list
three options. The default prompt "[1]" will reflect the first option, "Edit
user data and passwords". Again, press Enter.

The next prompt will ask for the username listing the default
[Administrator]. Enter your wife's username (ensuring that you enter the
proper case, e.g., MARY), and press Enter.

The "User Edit Menu" will display listing various options. The first option
is to "Clear (blank) user password" so enter "1" at the prompt.The
confirmation "Password cleared!" message should appear.

7. At the next prompt enter "!" (exclamation mark) to quit the "User Edit
Menu". Press Enter.

8. At the next prompt enter "q" to quit the process.

9. At "Step FOUR" enter "y" to write changes. Press Enter.

10. At the "EDIT COMPLETE" message, press Enter to confirm ending the
process.

11. The "#" prompt will appear indicating termination of the process. Remove
the CD and reboot.

Hopefully your Administrator's password has now been reset to a blank
password and you should gain access to the system.
Anna

0
Anna

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

2 Accounts on Outlook?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C93842.127F2810 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, On my PC I'm running Outlook 2007 connected to an exchange server for = work and Outlook Express (about 5 accounts) pop3 for my personal email. Is there any way I can use Outlook 2007 for all these accounts but not = have the emails merging into 1 inbox etc? Thanks Mark ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C93842.127F2810 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encodi...

Installation of Office XP SP3 issue...
I am using the Outlook 2002 client. Since I have installed Office XP "Service Pack 3", I have noticed that each time a mail message arrives in my mailbox, a window pop's up stating that ... A program is trying to access email addresss you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? etc... This is really annoying. How do I turn this off?? Thanks, Brad See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outl...

AD deleted user, lost license ?
I have a customer who deleted the ad user before moving the crm user data and license to a new crm user. I tried changing the systemusertable to match the login of the new user but I guess there also have to be changed a GUID ( I know it isn't a supported way but had to try it ) I changed it back but have the problem that I can't move the license and move data to a new crm user because the ad user is gone. What to do ? Jack Are you running CRM 1.2 or 3.0? "Jack" <jackdSPAM@jackd.dk> wrote in message news:unWJNvjLGHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I have...

After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it
The subject line says it all. On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link button). The error signature is always the same: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is. With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I ha...

Password Change Option on OWA
Is there any reason I shouldn't change the option to allow users to change their password from OWA? Microsoft must have had a reason to not make it available by default. -- Paul Bergson It isn't available by default beause SSL is required by default in order to be able to change passwords. Since SSL cannot be enabled until you have installed a certificate, it makes sense to not have the ability to change passwords via OWA on by default, right? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Paul Bergson" <pbergson_nospam@allete.com> wrote in message news:%23G8VO6uLFHA.3016...

Impersonation without passing username and password.
I have a service running on a server that gives users access to a database through remoting services. My supervisor wants the server that the service starts to access the database with the user credentials of the user making the request. I'm thinking that this will have to be done though some kind of impersonation but all of the examples I have seen require me to pass the user name and password. The user is logged onto our domain and I need to find a way to access the database through the server via remoting using the credentials of the user without passing a username/ passwor...

Office XP transfer of files to new PC
I am transfering files from my old PC to a new one and I want to take my Office XP just as it is on the old one to the new one; settings and all. Anyone know how to do this? First, you must reinstall Office. Then you can configure Outlook to use the same Outlook Data File (PST file) you were using before instead of the new blank one it created when you installed Outlook: - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add... - Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the Options dialog - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or chan...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Microsoft Office XP excel 2003
When I open Excel 2003 the splash screen hangs for 30 seconds to about a minute and then excel opens and behaves normally. All other office programs such as Word etc open quickly and behave normally. If Excel is opened in safe mode , the program opens rapidly without any splash screen at all. Any explanations and indeed a cure for this behaviour ? Regards -- FLYNNE When you open excel in safe mode, you're not opening the addins or stuff in your XLStart folder or your customized toolbar. If you don't have lots of addins turned on and don't have lots of stuff in your XLS...

Adding an Account Transfer to the Budget #2
I would like to add an account transfer that occurs every month (to a college savings account) to my budget. I have the account set up in money but can’t figure out how to add the transfer to the budget. I have a similar transfer to a retirement account in the budget but can’t remember how I did it…maybe I added it when I initially set up the budget…shouldn’t I be able to add another? You can't add transfers to the budget if both of those accounts are already in the budget. However, if you remove the savings account from the budget, it will show up in 'transfers out of budget&#...

Publisher 2002 photo and graphic problems on xp
Microsoft Publisher 2002 works well on my old computer with Windows 98. However, I installed Pub. 2002 in my new computer with Windows XP and have many problems with photos and graphics just showing outline or no image at all. Is 2002 compatable with Windows XP? Yes, Publisher 2002 is compatible with Windows XP, it should work better than it did on 98. View, pictures, detailed display. If this isn't the solution.... Even though your computer is new, it doesn't necessarily mean your video driver is up to date. Try this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel,...

Outlook Checking Forcing sequential check of multiple pop accounts
I've been bouncing back and forth between outlook and outlook express for quite a while now and I'd use outlook primarily except I'm getting frustrated with how it handles send/receive for multiple POP accounts. If I perform a general send and receive, even after semi limiting the accounts through groups, the downloading of messages takes a long time. I often run into problems where my connection to one of my servers is reset and the ever dreaded problem of duplicate messages. If I do a send/receive on a mailbox by mailbox basis, the downloads are quick and I never seem to run in...

lost import files
Tried importing .pst files to an XP machine from a 2000 machine. The inbox emails did not transfer and now they are not even visible on the original computer. Did they get lost and deleted, or are they just hiding somewhere? Please help! thanks, mike ...

Money 2001 and xp #2
Hi, I've been using money for some time but just recently I keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be preformed " and each time I go from one account to onther this box keeps poping up and then the other box opens asking do I want to send this report to Microsoft can you suggest for me what to do i CAN'T SEEM TO GET ONTO MICROSOFT TO HELP ME OUT Regards Robert (Australia ) In microsoft.public.money, Robert Herod wrote: >I've been using money for some time but just recently I >keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be &g...

Folder sharing in XP Home vs. XP Pro?
Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think I've done anything different between the two machines when sharing out folders. Yousuf Khan "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b4001f8$1@news.bnb-lp.com... > Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running > XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think > I've done anything different between the two machines when shar...

Can't Send Messages Using Outlook Web Access & XP
Our users with Windows XP cannot send messages using OWA. I've read a few KB articles about some incompatabilities between XP and OWA, but none of the proposed fixes (using the "basic" rather than "premium" client, or changing the security settings in IE) seem to solve this last problem. When they click on "send", it generates an unspecified "error on page". The problem occurs using IE and Firefox, but just on XP machines. My Windows 2000 machine works fine using IE and even my Macintosh using Safari (gasp!) works. ...

XP Pro desktop Search updates
Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. The latest update is 4 and I have not installed that. Zeus cf. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2008/06/03/windows-search-4-0-released-to-web.aspx & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 Zeus wrote: > Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the > one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. > The > latest update is 4 and I have...

Multiple accounts
I have just installed Money 2003. Does anyone know how to set up multiple member accounts from one bank? My bank puts multiple type of accounts, like checking and credit, under one account number. We can also have multiple account numbers. I cannot figure out how to set this up. I have the account types from one number updating automatically by connecting online. When I try to setup the other account number to do this, there is no where to enter another password. Any help would be appreciated. If I understand your situation correctly, you have multiple accounts at the same ban...

AfxDaoInit fails on Win XP SP2
Hi, after deinstalling some test applications and then installing the Win XP SP2 a call to AfxDaoInit() fails with a CDaoException. This usually means that the Jet is missing. Windows however reports that the Jet is now part of the system so its not possible to install the latest Microsoft Jet 4.0 SP as well. Any idea how to check the presence of the Jet and solve the issue? Thank you for your time and help. Regards Thomas Trick ...

Removing accounts
I have been using Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail. There is some duplication of accounts that I want to sort out and tidy up. The relevant Properties box that is checked is – ‘Remove from server when deleted from Deleted items.’ If I do remove an account that is in both WM and WLM will it remove both of them so that I lose the information completely, or just the one I select to remove from? Thank you. The setting "Remove from server when deleted from Deleted items" refers to email messages, not to accounts. But be careful when removing an account in Windows L...

More than one Intenret Account usage
Hi I am having an issue. I have 3 e-mail accounts configured in my MS Outlook 2000, configured to work as a Workgroup How can I choose the account to send a mail? I mean, I have account 1, account 2 and account 3. How can I choose to send a mail with the account 2? Is there a way to select the account as in Outlook Express? TIA Christian Thies It's not easy to choose a sending account in Corporate/Workgroup mode. See http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/sendaccount.htm#cw for more information and your options. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address w...

Change Owner on New Account SetUp
Hello, I have an employee that will be setting up new clients for our sales team. She will be creating these accounts and then selecting the appropriate owner for the account. Right now the spyglass next to the owner field in accounts is greyed out. How do I get that working to allow her to select any of the users? Thanks, CHristina There are two possibilities and without access to a system at the moment I cannot confirm which. Firstly ensure the user has permissions to assign accounts Then if the option is still greyed out, it may be that it has to be done using the assign function. T...

Outlook XP and VPN
My sales force can not use Outlook when they VPN to our network. Everything seems fine on the mail server. When they open Outlook, they see their mail, but can not do anything with it. Any suggestions? "=?Utf-8?B?UGVycnk=?=" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:915F9EA9-C3F8-42E9-A6E2-611B7AA19773@microsoft.com: > My sales force can not use Outlook when they VPN to our network. > Everything seems fine on the mail server. When they open Outlook, they > see their mail, but can not do anything with it. Any suggestions? What do you mean by "can't ...

problem with posting payments on account for multiple stores??
we are using 1.3.1009, has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem in a multi-store environment: we have two separate stores, a customer does one sale on account in each store. they send one check for both sales. we apply the payment in one of the stores at the POS. the account balance for the sale that was done at the same store where the payment is applied gets, zeroed out, but the other balance at the other store does not. i know in hotfix 1010 it mentions that there is something that gets fixed having to do with making payments on account at one store when the sale or...