workstation service: where can I get it?

Our pc running XPPro SP3, all up to date, has started a series of 
workstation related error messages.

The service is shown in the services list but it won't start  (run  sc query 
workstation produces a message to say the service cannot be found but, I 
just tried this on the laptop where the service is running, and the query 
produces the same message here!)

I did replace the hard drive recently, and it's possible the error stems 
from that time, but the system  log doesn't go back before then so I can't 
be sure.

I don't have an XP cd as the pc came with it preloaded, and we only got Dell 
discs with it, which they say don't include the drivers.  Can I download 
this service from somewhere, and reinstall it?

Cheers,
S 


0
Spamlet
7/3/2010 6:30:04 PM
windowsxp.general 3897 articles. 1 followers. Follow

7 Replies
1422 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 36


"Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
news:i0nvjp$7fq$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> Our pc running XPPro SP3, all up to date, has started a series of 
> workstation related error messages.
>
> The service is shown in the services list but it won't start  (run  sc 
> query workstation produces a message to say the service cannot be found 
> but, I just tried this on the laptop where the service is running, and the 
> query produces the same message here!)
>
> I did replace the hard drive recently, and it's possible the error stems 
> from that time, but the system  log doesn't go back before then so I can't 
> be sure.
>
> I don't have an XP cd as the pc came with it preloaded, and we only got 
> Dell discs with it, which they say don't include the drivers.  Can I 
> download this service from somewhere, and reinstall it?
>
> Cheers,
> S

A simpler command for testing a service would be:
net start
or
net start | find /i "workstation"
or
net start workstation
or
net stop workstation

There is a simple reason why sc.exe failed: Some services have two names and 
sc.exe likes only one of them. When you run the command services.msc then 
you can see that the long name for the workstation service is 
"LanmanWorkstation". 

0
Pegasus
7/3/2010 11:00:00 PM
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:OiOW7NwGLHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>
> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
> news:i0nvjp$7fq$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>> Our pc running XPPro SP3, all up to date, has started a series of 
>> workstation related error messages.
>>
>> The service is shown in the services list but it won't start  (run  sc 
>> query workstation produces a message to say the service cannot be found 
>> but, I just tried this on the laptop where the service is running, and 
>> the query produces the same message here!)
>>
>> I did replace the hard drive recently, and it's possible the error stems 
>> from that time, but the system  log doesn't go back before then so I 
>> can't be sure.
>>
>> I don't have an XP cd as the pc came with it preloaded, and we only got 
>> Dell discs with it, which they say don't include the drivers.  Can I 
>> download this service from somewhere, and reinstall it?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> S
>
> A simpler command for testing a service would be:
> net start
> or
> net start | find /i "workstation"
> or
> net start workstation
> or
> net stop workstation
>
> There is a simple reason why sc.exe failed: Some services have two names 
> and sc.exe likes only one of them. When you run the command services.msc 
> then you can see that the long name for the workstation service is 
> "LanmanWorkstation".

Thankyou Pegasus,

I had just been picking ideas out of various other threads and web 
discussions. Hadn't come across his version of the name - and don't know 
very much about the commands myself.  These proper ones of yours work on the 
laptop at least. PC not running t the moment but I'll try them when it is.

What about the rest of my question: assuming the service file/files has/have 
been corrupted somehow, how can I get new copies? Could I copy them from the 
laptop or do I need to download an update or installer package from 
somewhere?

Cheers,
S 


0
Spamlet
7/4/2010 12:10:49 AM

"Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
news:i0okhn$tp2$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:OiOW7NwGLHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>
>>
>> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
>> news:i0nvjp$7fq$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>> Our pc running XPPro SP3, all up to date, has started a series of 
>>> workstation related error messages.
>>>
>>> The service is shown in the services list but it won't start  (run  sc 
>>> query workstation produces a message to say the service cannot be found 
>>> but, I just tried this on the laptop where the service is running, and 
>>> the query produces the same message here!)
>>>
>>> I did replace the hard drive recently, and it's possible the error stems 
>>> from that time, but the system  log doesn't go back before then so I 
>>> can't be sure.
>>>
>>> I don't have an XP cd as the pc came with it preloaded, and we only got 
>>> Dell discs with it, which they say don't include the drivers.  Can I 
>>> download this service from somewhere, and reinstall it?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> S
>>
>> A simpler command for testing a service would be:
>> net start
>> or
>> net start | find /i "workstation"
>> or
>> net start workstation
>> or
>> net stop workstation
>>
>> There is a simple reason why sc.exe failed: Some services have two names 
>> and sc.exe likes only one of them. When you run the command services.msc 
>> then you can see that the long name for the workstation service is 
>> "LanmanWorkstation".
>
> Thankyou Pegasus,
>
> I had just been picking ideas out of various other threads and web 
> discussions. Hadn't come across his version of the name - and don't know 
> very much about the commands myself.  These proper ones of yours work on 
> the laptop at least. PC not running t the moment but I'll try them when it 
> is.
>
> What about the rest of my question: assuming the service file/files 
> has/have been corrupted somehow, how can I get new copies? Could I copy 
> them from the laptop or do I need to download an update or installer 
> package from somewhere?
>
> Cheers,
> S

I doubt very much that the workstation service has become corrupted. If so 
then uninstalling the various networking components (TCP/IP, File and 
printer sharing) followed by re-installation would probably fix it. They are 
all accessible via the Control Panel / Networking. Double-click your network 
adapter, then right-click its properties. 

0
Pegasus
7/4/2010 5:45:46 AM
On Jul 3, 2:30=A0pm, "Spamlet" <spam.mores...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Our pc running XPPro SP3, all up to date, has started a series of
> workstation related error messages.
>
> The service is shown in the services list but it won't start =A0(run =A0s=
c query
> workstation produces a message to say the service cannot be found but, I
> just tried this on the laptop where the service is running, and the query
> produces the same message here!)
>
> I did replace the hard drive recently, and it's possible the error stems
> from that time, but the system =A0log doesn't go back before then so I ca=
n't
> be sure.
>
> I don't have an XP cd as the pc came with it preloaded, and we only got D=
ell
> discs with it, which they say don't include the drivers. =A0Can I downloa=
d
> this service from somewhere, and reinstall it?
>
> Cheers,
> S

Where did you get that command to run?

Does it really produce a message to say the service cannot be found -
or does it produces a message that says:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

The correct Workstation service name is lanmanworkstation so you
should run this command instead to query it:

sc query lanmanworkstation

You can learn/find out about stuff like that here:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

When you try to start the service (and if it start successfully) you
will see a  message like this in the Event Viewer System Log:

Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	Service Control Manager
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	7036
Description:
The Workstation service entered the running state.

What does yours say when you try to start the Workstation service?

Here is a method to post the specific information about individual
events if you still need help:

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System.
Some logs may be almost or completely empty.  Not every event is a
problem, some are informational messages that things are working okay
and some are warnings.  No event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time.  Errors will have red Xs,
Warnings will have yellow !s.  Information messages have white is.
Not every Error or Warning event means there is a serious issue.  Some
are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting.  Try to find
just the events at the date and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with
more information.  On the right are black up and down arrow buttons to
scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two
pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your
Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of
your issue, click the third button under the up and down arrows to
copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click,
Paste or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear
the log (backing up the log is offered), then reproduce your issue,
then look at just the events around the time of your issue.

0
Jose
7/4/2010 1:19:21 PM
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:emwpnwzGLHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
>
> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:i0okhn$tp2$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>
>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:OiOW7NwGLHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>>
>>> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:i0nvjp$7fq$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>>> Our pc running XPPro SP3, all up to date, has started a series of
>>>> workstation related error messages.
>>>>
>>>> The service is shown in the services list but it won't start  (run  sc
>>>> query workstation produces a message to say the service cannot be found
>>>> but, I just tried this on the laptop where the service is running, and
>>>> the query produces the same message here!)
>>>>
>>>> I did replace the hard drive recently, and it's possible the error
>>>> stems from that time, but the system  log doesn't go back before then
>>>> so I can't be sure.
>>>>
>>>> I don't have an XP cd as the pc came with it preloaded, and we only got
>>>> Dell discs with it, which they say don't include the drivers.  Can I
>>>> download this service from somewhere, and reinstall it?
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> S
>>>
>>> A simpler command for testing a service would be:
>>> net start
>>> or
>>> net start | find /i "workstation"
>>> or
>>> net start workstation
>>> or
>>> net stop workstation
>>>
>>> There is a simple reason why sc.exe failed: Some services have two names
>>> and sc.exe likes only one of them. When you run the command services.msc
>>> then you can see that the long name for the workstation service is
>>> "LanmanWorkstation".
>>
>> Thankyou Pegasus,
>>
>> I had just been picking ideas out of various other threads and web
>> discussions. Hadn't come across his version of the name - and don't know
>> very much about the commands myself.  These proper ones of yours work on
>> the laptop at least. PC not running t the moment but I'll try them when
>> it is.
>>
>> What about the rest of my question: assuming the service file/files
>> has/have been corrupted somehow, how can I get new copies? Could I copy
>> them from the laptop or do I need to download an update or installer
>> package from somewhere?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> S
>
> I doubt very much that the workstation service has become corrupted. If so
> then uninstalling the various networking components (TCP/IP, File and
> printer sharing) followed by re-installation would probably fix it. They
> are all accessible via the Control Panel / Networking. Double-click your
> network adapter, then right-click its properties.

Do they need to be reinstalled from a disc, or will XP simply refind them
from the drivers folder when reinstalling?

S



0
Spamlet
7/6/2010 10:30:45 PM

"Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
news:i10aqv$bc3$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:emwpnwzGLHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>
>>
>> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:i0okhn$tp2$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>>
>>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:OiOW7NwGLHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>> news:i0nvjp$7fq$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>>>> Our pc running XPPro SP3, all up to date, has started a series of
>>>>> workstation related error messages.
>>>>>
>>>>> The service is shown in the services list but it won't start  (run  sc
>>>>> query workstation produces a message to say the service cannot be 
>>>>> found
>>>>> but, I just tried this on the laptop where the service is running, and
>>>>> the query produces the same message here!)
>>>>>
>>>>> I did replace the hard drive recently, and it's possible the error
>>>>> stems from that time, but the system  log doesn't go back before then
>>>>> so I can't be sure.
>>>>>
>>>>> I don't have an XP cd as the pc came with it preloaded, and we only 
>>>>> got
>>>>> Dell discs with it, which they say don't include the drivers.  Can I
>>>>> download this service from somewhere, and reinstall it?
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> S
>>>>
>>>> A simpler command for testing a service would be:
>>>> net start
>>>> or
>>>> net start | find /i "workstation"
>>>> or
>>>> net start workstation
>>>> or
>>>> net stop workstation
>>>>
>>>> There is a simple reason why sc.exe failed: Some services have two 
>>>> names
>>>> and sc.exe likes only one of them. When you run the command 
>>>> services.msc
>>>> then you can see that the long name for the workstation service is
>>>> "LanmanWorkstation".
>>>
>>> Thankyou Pegasus,
>>>
>>> I had just been picking ideas out of various other threads and web
>>> discussions. Hadn't come across his version of the name - and don't know
>>> very much about the commands myself.  These proper ones of yours work on
>>> the laptop at least. PC not running t the moment but I'll try them when
>>> it is.
>>>
>>> What about the rest of my question: assuming the service file/files
>>> has/have been corrupted somehow, how can I get new copies? Could I copy
>>> them from the laptop or do I need to download an update or installer
>>> package from somewhere?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> S
>>
>> I doubt very much that the workstation service has become corrupted. If 
>> so
>> then uninstalling the various networking components (TCP/IP, File and
>> printer sharing) followed by re-installation would probably fix it. They
>> are all accessible via the Control Panel / Networking. Double-click your
>> network adapter, then right-click its properties.
>
> Do they need to be reinstalled from a disc, or will XP simply refind them
> from the drivers folder when reinstalling?
>
> S

It will find them from the drivers folder. 

0
Pegasus
7/7/2010 6:03:01 AM
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:e0%23mPoZHLHA.4328@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
>
> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
> news:i10aqv$bc3$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>
>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:emwpnwzGLHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>>
>>> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:i0okhn$tp2$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>>>
>>>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:OiOW7NwGLHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>>> news:i0nvjp$7fq$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>>>>> Our pc running XPPro SP3, all up to date, has started a series of
>>>>>> workstation related error messages.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The service is shown in the services list but it won't start  (run 
>>>>>> sc
>>>>>> query workstation produces a message to say the service cannot be 
>>>>>> found
>>>>>> but, I just tried this on the laptop where the service is running, 
>>>>>> and
>>>>>> the query produces the same message here!)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I did replace the hard drive recently, and it's possible the error
>>>>>> stems from that time, but the system  log doesn't go back before then
>>>>>> so I can't be sure.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I don't have an XP cd as the pc came with it preloaded, and we only 
>>>>>> got
>>>>>> Dell discs with it, which they say don't include the drivers.  Can I
>>>>>> download this service from somewhere, and reinstall it?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>> S
>>>>>
>>>>> A simpler command for testing a service would be:
>>>>> net start
>>>>> or
>>>>> net start | find /i "workstation"
>>>>> or
>>>>> net start workstation
>>>>> or
>>>>> net stop workstation
>>>>>
>>>>> There is a simple reason why sc.exe failed: Some services have two 
>>>>> names
>>>>> and sc.exe likes only one of them. When you run the command 
>>>>> services.msc
>>>>> then you can see that the long name for the workstation service is
>>>>> "LanmanWorkstation".
>>>>
>>>> Thankyou Pegasus,
>>>>
>>>> I had just been picking ideas out of various other threads and web
>>>> discussions. Hadn't come across his version of the name - and don't 
>>>> know
>>>> very much about the commands myself.  These proper ones of yours work 
>>>> on
>>>> the laptop at least. PC not running t the moment but I'll try them when
>>>> it is.
>>>>
>>>> What about the rest of my question: assuming the service file/files
>>>> has/have been corrupted somehow, how can I get new copies? Could I copy
>>>> them from the laptop or do I need to download an update or installer
>>>> package from somewhere?
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> S
>>>
>>> I doubt very much that the workstation service has become corrupted. If 
>>> so
>>> then uninstalling the various networking components (TCP/IP, File and
>>> printer sharing) followed by re-installation would probably fix it. They
>>> are all accessible via the Control Panel / Networking. Double-click your
>>> network adapter, then right-click its properties.
>>
>> Do they need to be reinstalled from a disc, or will XP simply refind them
>> from the drivers folder when reinstalling?
>>
>> S
>
> It will find them from the drivers folder.

Thanks: I'll let you know how I get on when I can get another clear  shot at 
tidying the PC

S 


0
Spamlet
7/8/2010 4:08:46 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Can't send replys?????
When I recieve an email and try to reply by hitting the reply button, typing my message and sending, it does not work. I hit send/recieve and it trys to send the message but it is never sent...it sits in my outbox. If I create a new message, it sends fine. However It will not allow me to reply. Any suggestions??????? ...

Can FrontPage 98 work with Windows XP%3f
I run two websites ! I used to work with Windows 98 and FrontPage 98. I now run Windows XP Professional, but my FrontPage 98 will not work. Is there a patch or download that will allow the two to work together again and where can it be found? Post your question in the FrontPage Newsgroup >-----Original Message----- >I run two websites ! > >I used to work with Windows 98 and FrontPage 98. > >I now run Windows XP Professional, but my FrontPage 98 will not work. > >Is there a patch or download that will allow the two to work together again >and where can it be fou...

Can't see cash flow. Asks for a spending account.
And I can't find what is a spending account. I have savings, cheque, credit and cash account but no one seems to be the one required. What is a spending account? ...

How can I print my Outlook Folder List with Size?
Basically I am trying to be able to view & print my Outlook Folder List with Sizes like I can with Windows Folders, either by Script or 3rd Party Utility. Any information is greatly appreciated. -- hammerhead13 hammerhead13 wrote: > Basically I am trying to be able to view & print my Outlook Folder List > with Sizes like I can with Windows Folders, either by Script or 3rd > Party Utility. Any information is greatly appreciated. > > > > Take a screen shot and then print it. P hammerhead13 <hammerhead13.2c2aaea@outlookbanter.com> wrote: > Basi...

Interrupting long calculations in Excel? Hi all, I am having a very long calculation in Excel using VBA. Of course I know I can hit ESC or CTRL+BREAK to interrupt the VBA program. But I found du
Interrupting long calculations in Excel? Hi all, I am having a very long calculation in Excel using VBA. Of course I know I can hit ESC or CTRL+BREAK to interrupt the VBA program. But I found due to too long running process, the Excel window stop to respond for very long time, besically it's like "not responding" situation with "not responding" on the windows title bar... It doesn't seem to accept any more key strokes, not to say ESC or CTRL +BREAK. What can I do to rein/stop my program? Thanks Try this to speed up execution Application.ScreenUpdating = FA...

List of banks to setup online services
I have recently installed MS Money 2005. I tired to set up mybank accounts and credit card accounts. I could not find any American financial institutions in the list. I tried to check all my international settings in money and windows. They are all pointing to USA. Why dont I see American Banks / financial institutions. Thank you. ...

Service work order
Does anyone have a template for a service work order? More specifically, a technology work order would be great. Just something that states the date, client name, description of problem, date completed. geek Browse around in the Template Gallery. May find something? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 06:59:03 -0800, schoolgeek63 <schoolgeek63@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone have a template for a service work order? More specifically, a >technology work order would be great. Just something t...

Most recent Exchange service pack...
I have a windows 2000 SBS machine running Exchagne 2000.How do I tell what service pack I am at and where can I find the most recent Exchange service packs? Thanks, Brad Open Exchange System Manager and drill down to your Server. In the right hand pane you will see the info you need. www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Brad Pears" <donotreply@notreal.com> wrote in message news:%23NK9b3Q7EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I have a windows 2000 SBS machine running Exchagne 2000.How do I ...

How can I cross reference phone numbers with existing phone numbe.
I have the ( DO NOT CALL) list from the government and what I want to do is cross reference it with a mailing list that I have been using for the past year. I would like to follow-up with these mailers by phone. Does anyone have an idea how to go about this task in Excel or possibly Access data base? This would make my life much simpler and convenient. Thank you for any help that can be rendered If there is a common data column between the two databases (for example phone number) formatted in the same way (like "603-555-1212") then you would use a VLOOKUP function to merge t...

system manager on workstation
Where do I need to go to install the Exchange System Manager so I can manage it from my workstation? Thanks http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3AdminGuide/8929d6c5-72c5-40af-b42a-7f346e66c44a.mspx?mfr=true -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eRZrGVTxGHA.4972@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Where do I need to go to install the Exchange System Manager so I can > manage it from my wor...

how to get all mails in box x that I have replied to
As the subject says, I would like to get ahold of all mails in a selected box that I have replied to. how does one do that kind of cross box checking? In news:1122886037.540223.144100@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com, pantagruel <bry@itnisk.com> typed: > As the subject says, I would like to get ahold of all mails in a > selected box that I have replied to. how does one do that kind of > cross box checking? Not sure what you mean by box - can you elaborate. Also, when you post in here, always include your version, SP level, and mode (if applicable) of Outlook - you can find th...

Directory Service mails
Help! we recently migrated one of our sites (on one domain) to Exchange 2003 runninng in mixed mode, in order to keep connectivity with another site (on another domain) still running Exchange 5.5 \for the 1st few weeks all appeared fine, however, GAL sychronisation has ceased. Secondly, myself (as admin) has started to recive what appear to be sychronisation mails from our other site (running 5.5), that would seem to be bound for our 2003 box (but get delivered ot me as admin on this, as it cannot find the mail box). These mails are from "Directory Servive", are addressed to &qu...

how to I get 2010 beta OneNote to be active in 2010 beta outlook
I added OneNote Quick tab to Outlook, but it is not active. How do I make it active? "Quick Tab"? Can you clarify what you mean? What steps diod you take in Outlook (what version?) to get this to appear and what exactly doesn't work? =?Utf-8?B?U01H?= <SMG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:131F64B7-0948-4C1A-B684-0ADCD0BBB3A9@microsoft.com: > I added OneNote Quick tab to Outlook, but it is not active. How do I > make it active? > I am running the Office 2010 Professional Plus Beta. I said quick tab, after checking it is actually...

data sort box too big-can it be formatted
Excel 2007? Sort Dialog box can be reduced to about 3 inch by 6 inch at smallest. Use sizing arrows to bring down to that size. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:27:01 -0700, Clee <Clee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: can it be formatted to stay the smaller size? I keep having to reduce it and it is annoying "Gord Dibben" wrote: > Excel 2007? > > Sort Dialog box can be reduced to about 3 inch by 6 inch at smallest. > > Use sizing arrows to bring down to that size. > > > Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP > > On Tue, 2 Jun ...

SQL Server Service Broker for 'replication'
Hi, My client do not wish to use sql linking over the internet to link 2 servers as they feel it is not very secure. We need to be able to copy data in sql between servers. They have suggested using SQL Server Service Broker - is this supported with Dynamics GP, and if so how does it work and how is it setup? Thank you Neil ...

How can my font be a dashed or dotted character?
I'm trying to type the word OBEY but need it to be either dashed or dotted so my kids can trace this or connect the dots. Can this be done or Word or Publisher? Jill wrote: > I'm trying to type the word OBEY but need it to be either dashed or > dotted so my kids can trace this or connect the dots. Can this be > done or Word or Publisher? Not unless you have a font that has characters already in the format I use D'Nealian (sp?) but it isn't free. I have it somewhere (I don't have it installed at the moment) you could try asking in alt.binaries.fonts. -- Fa...

How can I change the size of dialog boxes?
When doing a file open, the standard excel dialog box is too small to see long file names. Can it be made bigger and default to show file details? Thanks. Hi AFAIK you can't change this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Dale Hildebrand" <Dale Hildebrand@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:57388114-FFA5-450B-BE6A-F70B66E794C1@microsoft.com... > When doing a file open, the standard excel dialog box is too small to see > long file names. Can it be made bigger and default to show file details? > Thanks. With Excel 2002 and 2003 I c...

GP 8 Service Pack 5 Service Advantage
Hi, I am upgrading from GP 8 to GP 9 as the first step I installed GP 8 SP 5 and getting error message about SVC00951 (invalid object), which is a ServiceAdvantage table. There are no ServiceAdvantage tables in the company database. any ideas ? thanks Syed ...

how do I get more than one sub-total in pivot tables?
I am using pivot tables to show summary HR recruiting data. The data columns are nested at three levels - priority(a, b or c), type(add/replace), number of reqs and number of positions. The pivot table automatically gives me sub-totals within the priority so I get number of reqs that are adds of priority A for example. I also automatically get a total of number of reqs and total of number of positions. What I'm trying to get is the sub-total of number of reqs that are adds regardless of priority. Move Type to the column area, and you'll get columns with totals for Add and...

Default automatic start Exchange Services
I had to do some work on my Exchange System and disabled some of the sevices. I just want to double check on the default MS Exchange services that get started "Automatic". Thanks. Hi, It would help if you posted which version of Exchange server you are using :-) Leif "AllenM" <ghost@nodomain.com> wrote in message news:e$yvgFfcGHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I had to do some work on my Exchange System and disabled some of the >sevices. I just want to double check on the default MS Exchange services >that get started "Automatic". Thanks...

can someone please help
Hi I am working on a form where i have Option Buttons setup. I want to setup a sperate worksheet that i call a summary page where excel tells me which option was selected in the form. Can someone tell me how can i setup a function on my summary worksheet that would lookup the option buttons from the form workshhet and tell me which option has been selected. Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by s...

Getting attachements I can not open
I have outlook 6.0 and it seems as though I can not get an attachement. How can I fix this? Thanks, Hi, John - See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q291387 Also note: This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.publ...

Multiple all day events can not be displayed?
Can anyone comment as to why when one has multiple all day events for a given day, only one of those events is displayed when viewing in one-day mode? When viewed in week view or month view, every one of the all day events is displayed. Thanks, --Howie They are showing for me with Outlook 2003 SP1 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Howie" <nothere@this.time> wrote in message news:51clq0d5s8ovv7in5sn27287cl0d8phme6@4ax.com... > Ca...

Can't insert a new row
I have about 20 rows of data and I'm trying to insert a row of data before line 6. I highlight cell 6, click Insert /Rows and then I get an error, "To prevent the possible loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the work sheet." It goes on with some more garbage, but it's already obvious that Microsoft doesn't know what it's talking about. How do I get this insert to work? Thanks! -- skywaytraveler ------------------------------------------------------------------------ skywaytraveler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?ac...

Can't run Word and Excel at the same time
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, When Word is running, Excel won't start. I have to quit Word before I can run Excel, and vice versa. My copy of Office is legit - paid for it with hard-earned money. Hope someone can explain the malfunction. Thanks! On 9/22/08 11:07 AM, in article 59b5a0f7.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "gilbertandjames@officeformac.com" <gilbertandjames@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: Intel > > Hi, > > When Word is running,...