Windows XP system restore points question

I have had this system for about a year and a half with no problems
and have the daily system restore points and system restore points for
when I installed / removed / updated software for that time.

Question is how far back should I keep the restore points or files or
whatever??  Room is not a problem for now so keeping them all is no
big deal but I was just wondering.

Thanks much.

0
kraut

"kraut" <kraut3852@yahoo.comg> wrote in message

> I have had this system for about a year and a half with no problems
> and have the daily system restore points and system restore points for
> when I installed / removed / updated software for that time.
>
> Question is how far back should I keep the restore points or files or
> whatever??  Room is not a problem for now so keeping them all is no
> big deal but I was just wondering.
>
> Thanks much.

Depending on what you have allocated for space (default is 12%), it will
keep them until needing to be overwritten, or, IIRC, 90 days.

I would hate to think of using a restore point from, say, 6 weeks ago. Any
changes made to the system will be lost, including updates, etc. If you're
thinking of going back more than a week or two, I would personally consider
disk imaging over system restore. SR is great when, as you stated, used for
undoing something a program installation may have messed up, but doesn't
protect anything else other than Windows files.
--
SC Tom

0
SC
5/20/2010 4:48:41 PM
You have 18 months of available Restore Points?

Start here: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

kraut wrote:
> I have had this system for about a year and a half with no problems
> and have the daily system restore points and system restore points for
> when I installed / removed / updated software for that time.
>
> Question is how far back should I keep the restore points or files or
> whatever??  Room is not a problem for now so keeping them all is no
> big deal but I was just wondering.
>
> Thanks much.
0
PA
5/20/2010 6:24:06 PM
On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:48:41 -0400, "SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote:

>> I have had this system for about a year and a half with no problems
>> and have the daily system restore points and system restore points for
>> when I installed / removed / updated software for that time.
>>
>> Question is how far back should I keep the restore points or files or
>> whatever??  Room is not a problem for now so keeping them all is no
>> big deal but I was just wondering.
>>
>> Thanks much.
>>

>Depending on what you have allocated for space (default is 12%), it will
>keep them until needing to be overwritten, or, IIRC, 90 days.
>
>I would hate to think of using a restore point from, say, 6 weeks ago. Any
>changes made to the system will be lost, including updates, etc. If you're
>thinking of going back more than a week or two, I would personally consider
>disk imaging over system restore. SR is great when, as you stated, used for
>undoing something a program installation may have messed up, but doesn't
>protect anything else other than Windows files.
>--
>SC Tom

Not sure how many restore points there are much there are a lot!!
What ever it was set to from factory or however long it was set to
keep them is what I have.

Thanks for the reply.  Appreciate the help.

0
kraut
5/21/2010 2:14:45 AM

>>> I have had this system for about a year and a half with no problems
>>> and have the daily system restore points and system restore points for
>>> when I installed / removed / updated software for that time.
>>>
>>> Question is how far back should I keep the restore points or files or
>>> whatever??  Room is not a problem for now so keeping them all is no
>>> big deal but I was just wondering.
>>>
>>> Thanks much.
>>>

>>Depending on what you have allocated for space (default is 12%), it will
>>keep them until needing to be overwritten, or, IIRC, 90 days.
>>
>>I would hate to think of using a restore point from, say, 6 weeks ago. Any
>>changes made to the system will be lost, including updates, etc. If you're
>>thinking of going back more than a week or two, I would personally consider
>>disk imaging over system restore. SR is great when, as you stated, used for
>>undoing something a program installation may have messed up, but doesn't
>>protect anything else other than Windows files.
>>--
>>SC Tom
>

>Not sure how many restore points there are much there are a lot!!
>What ever it was set to from factory or however long it was set to
>keep them is what I have.
>
>Thanks for the reply.  Appreciate the help.

I decided to take a chance and delete all the restore points that are
over 4 weeks old and hope it is okay.

Thanks again.

0
kraut
5/21/2010 2:19:34 AM
On May 20, 9:19=A0pm, kraut <kraut3...@yahoo.comg> wrote:

> >>Depending on what you have allocated for space (default is 12%), it wil=
> >>keep them until needing to be overwritten, or, IIRC, 90 days.
>
> >>I would hate to think of using a restore point from, say, 6 weeks ago. =
Any
> >>changes made to the system will be lost, including updates, etc. If you=
're
> >>thinking of going back more than a week or two, I would personally cons=
ider
> >>disk imaging over system restore. SR is great when, as you stated, used=
 for
> >>undoing something a program installation may have messed up, but doesn'=
> >>protect anything else other than Windows files.
> >>--
> >>SC Tom
>
> >Not sure how many restore points there are much there are a lot!!
> >What ever it was set to from factory or however long it was set to
> >keep them is what I have.
>
> >Thanks for the reply. =A0Appreciate the help.
>
> I decided to take a chance and delete all the restore points that are
> over 4 weeks old and hope it is okay.
>
> Thanks again.

You best bet is to turn off System Restore and use a Disk Imaging
Program.
Store the image on a second drive in case your primary goes out.

I use Macrium Reflect which is  very reliable.

Andy
0
Mint
5/21/2010 2:43:08 AM
Mint wrote:

>>> Not sure how many restore points there are much there are a lot!!
>>> What ever it was set to from factory or however long it was set to
>>> keep them is what I have.
>>
>>> Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the help.
>>
>> I decided to take a chance and delete all the restore points that are
>> over 4 weeks old and hope it is okay.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>
> You best bet is to turn off System Restore and use a Disk Imaging
> Program.
> Store the image on a second drive in case your primary goes out.
>
> I use Macrium Reflect which is  very reliable.

The best bet is to keep SR on *and* use a disk imaging program
regularly. SR still has its uses! Running SR is *much* quicker than
restoring an image. And if SR fixes the problem, then it is the
preferred solution.

An example of where SR is preferred:

You install a program. Performance slows to a crawl. You know that the
new program is responsible. Simply uninstall the program and if
necessary, run SR, using the last good Restore Point (i.e., the one
right before the problematic installation). The reason is might be
necessary? If the uninstallation routine was not thorough enough and the
performance problem remained.

Sure, restoring an image would be equally effective, but it would take
an awful lot longer! Of course, for those times where SR does not solve
the problem (unable to boot for instance, and no other method can fix
the problem), restoring an image can be a godsend!

To OP:

As SC Tom indicated, SR is most useful when you use a very recent
Restore Point. The further far back in time you go, the more issues you
will have with it and the less effective it will be. In those cases,
yes, restoring an image is certainly the way to go!

0
Daave
5/21/2010 4:21:18 AM
On Fri, 21 May 2010 00:21:18 -0400, "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote:

>Mint wrote:

>>> I decided to take a chance and delete all the restore points that are
>>> over 4 weeks old and hope it is okay.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>
>> You best bet is to turn off System Restore and use a Disk Imaging
>> Program.
>> Store the image on a second drive in case your primary goes out.
>>
>> I use Macrium Reflect which is  very reliable.
>
>The best bet is to keep SR on *and* use a disk imaging program
>regularly. SR still has its uses! Running SR is *much* quicker than
>restoring an image. And if SR fixes the problem, then it is the
>preferred solution.
>
>An example of where SR is preferred:
>
>You install a program. Performance slows to a crawl. You know that the
>new program is responsible. Simply uninstall the program and if
>necessary, run SR, using the last good Restore Point (i.e., the one
>right before the problematic installation). The reason is might be
>necessary? If the uninstallation routine was not thorough enough and the
>performance problem remained.
>
>Sure, restoring an image would be equally effective, but it would take
>an awful lot longer! Of course, for those times where SR does not solve
>the problem (unable to boot for instance, and no other method can fix
>the problem), restoring an image can be a godsend!
>
>To OP:
>
>As SC Tom indicated, SR is most useful when you use a very recent
>Restore Point. The further far back in time you go, the more issues you
>will have with it and the less effective it will be. In those cases,
>yes, restoring an image is certainly the way to go!

Thanks again for all the help.

0
kraut

Question about Tasks in Outlook
I'm new at this so bear with me I'm trying to figure out how to assign a task that needs to go to multiple individuals. I need to track the time it takes each person in my office to do their piece of a project. Their part of the project is not done using any MS software. I need to be able to create a project, put due dates on it, assign it to a person, and have them fill in the completion date/time for their part of the project. Then they need to be able to send it to the next person. Each project will generally have the same number of steps. Any ideas? Thanks How about you gi...

Money 2000 stalls system after two or three transactions entered
Recently when I try to add transactions to my account register, it will let me enter two or three and then my whole system locks up solid. I can't bring up Task Manager or anything. I'm running it on XP Pro and have never had any problems with Money in the past. Any help would be very appreciated. UncBooga ...

Shell.UI and vista Unable to determine XP theme error message
I'm opening a .net project that loads Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI in order to make the app inherit the dexterity colors. When I open this project on an XP machine, it works fine. When I open the same project on vista and open the designer, I get the following message : System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to determine XP theme. GetCurrentThemeName returned C:\Windows\resources\themes\Aero \Aero.msstyles for the theme name. at Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI.LibWrapper.GetThemeName() Fair enough, it doesn't understand aero themes. :) Is there an easy workaround or am I stuck having ...

MMC error on opening exchange system manager
I get an error when opening: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. then I click to report or continue, if continue it opens up but you cant get into anything, in the right bigger window it says MMC could not create snap-in. The snap-in might have not been installed correctly. Name: Exchange System CLSID: 1b600aea-10ba-11d2-9f28-00c04fa37610 It has been working for a month fine, HELP! ...

Formatting Question #3
I have the following: =IF((B21-C21)>0,B21-C21 & " Under Budget", B21-C21 & " Over Budget") How can I get the resulting value to be formatted as currency? I have formatted the cell as currency but I guess with the & "text" it doesn't treat the numerical part as currency. You are correct. So to overcome that, Put your currency symbol into the formula too. =IF((B21-C21)>0,"$"&B21-C21 & " Under Budget", "$"&B21-C21 & " Over Budget") "M.Siler" wrote: > I have the fo...

reinstalling windows

CRM Questions on SFOC
Just a question... What are the advantanges and disadvantages to using the CRM Toolbar for creating Task, Appointments, E-mails and Contacts, which creates them in both CRM and in Outlook? If in both you could synch with a Palm or other PDA from within the Outlook folders, and I know you they synch automatically between, but would you not want to keep your corporate business contacts separate in CRM and then personal or personal business is Outlook? Just some clarificaion would be helpful. Thanks! Shauna A great advantage of the SFO CRM Appointment button is that you get visibilit...

Windows live mail

Outlook 2007 question
I installed outlook 2007 and now I try to customise it but I notice that the Tools/Opions and Tools/Customize menus are disabled. Why and how to enable them? thanks I notice now that the problem is more severe. I cannot reply to messages, save is not working. It seems that most of the functionality is disabled. I can receive emails but cannot answer them. Any clue? this is very bothering. Thanks! "YLY" wrote: > I installed outlook 2007 and now I try to customise it but I notice that the > Tools/Opions and Tools/Customize menus are disabled. Why and how to enable > t...

Windows Vista

open windows

Can't install Exchange System Manager 2003..
Hi, The OS is Windows Server 2003 SP1 (only 1 partition, the free disk space is only 8 GB) and actually what I'm trying to do is to have a mailbox for a user from Domain B but the Exchange 2003 is in Domain A. Domain A (domainA.hq.com) and B (domainB.hq.com) are under one forest. I have checked some of the emails that were sent to this newsgroup and they suggested that I just need to install the Exchange System Manager on Domain B but I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard (Exchange 2003 Std Edt CD). I'm stuck ...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows recovery console

crystal report question 05-04-04
Hi, is it possible to use my own sql statement to build the crystal reports in crm 1.2? I want to use some functions i.e. count(*) to add some statistic on the reportings. Thanks in advance Jani ...

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Windows update error

Can't open Outlook for Web Access over the net using 2000 or XP but can with 98?? Any ideas
Hi there, Can anyone tell me why a 2000 or XP system cannot log on remotely to Exchange's Outlook (2000 Server) for web access over https: when a 98 system can no-problem? Thx in advance. "David Sullivan" <dsullivan@bcl-international.com> wrote in message news:lGNLc.5216$Z14.6537@news.indigo.ie... > Hi there, > > Can anyone tell me why a 2000 or XP system cannot log on remotely to > Exchange's Outlook (2000 Server) for web access over https: when a 98 > system > can no-problem? > > Thx in advance. > > What version of IE is running ...