Windows XP Compatability with Older ATI (Legacy) Software from ATI

I am currently using an older machine a: ASUS P2B-VM slot 1 550Mhz with a
built in ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (GT-C2U2) 8MB Ram Video Card running 384mb
RAM. I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have been for quite a while. I
have done very little upgrades, even though I know it definately needs alot.
I haven't had any problems with anything until recently. 2 or 3 years ago I
downloaded from the ATI website a new driver with a display console adapter
for adjustments. It worked fine in Win 2000 and in XP up until three weeks
ago. Now XP is trying to protect my CPU and dumping the memory saying the
Video Driver isn't correct, and windows is stating that the ATI software is
not upto Windows Standards, or something like that.  It is good software from
the valid site of the creation company of the hardware. I have enclosed the
Addressess of the site I downloaded from, and the instructions enclosed to
install them.

Drivers Download Page
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/legacy-xp.aspx

Instructions site
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-j5-30-1-b02.html

Is there a way to fix this? Can I tell Windows to leave it alone? Anyone Help?

csteele32 wrote:
> I am currently using an older machine a: ASUS P2B-VM slot 1 550Mhz
> with a built in ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (GT-C2U2) 8MB Ram Video Card
> running 384mb RAM. I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have
> been for quite a while. I have done very little upgrades, even
> though I know it definately needs alot. I haven't had any problems
> with anything until recently. 2 or 3 years ago I downloaded from
> the ATI website a new driver with a display console adapter for
> adjustments. It worked fine in Win 2000 and in XP up until three
> weeks ago. Now XP is trying to protect my CPU and dumping the
> memory saying the Video Driver isn't correct, and windows is
> stating that the ATI software is not upto Windows Standards, or
> something like that.  It is good software from the valid site of
> the creation company of the hardware. I have enclosed the
> Addressess of the site I downloaded from, and the instructions
> enclosed to install them.
>
> Drivers Download Page
> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/legacy-xp.aspx
>
> Instructions site
> https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-j5-30-1-b02.html
>
> Is there a way to fix this? Can I tell Windows to leave it alone?
> Anyone Help?

First - "something like that" is not a description one should put when
quoting an error.  Try quoting verbatim, please.  ;-)

Why not download the latest version of the video device driver and install
it?

The video device - BTW - is supported by the original manufacturer (or not.)
Microsoft has no responsibility surrounding it.  They did not create it,
they did not make a driver for it so any of their OSes could use it, etc.
If you are having issues surrounding the video card, it is up to the
manufacturer to fix it (or not.)  Unfortunately for you - most manufacturers
stop supporting a product usually at a certain OS level, but sometimes just
at a certain patch level.

I believe you may just have gotten lucky with it working in Windows XP - I
mean you were using a product ATI/AMD decided to stop supporting at the
Windows 2000 level in WIndows XP using what sems to have been a hack that
only redirects you to this web page now (when you click on the second link
you gave...):
http://support.amd.com/us/403/Pages/leech.aspx

It's fantastic it worked for you all this time, it's too bad it is giving
you trouble now - but it was never meant to work.  You could uninstall the
driver and just use the machine with a generic VGA driver or you could find
a cheap *supported* Windows XP video card to replace it with (used, friends,
family, ebay, local computer store, etc.)

Windows is not, despite the implications in your post, attacking the driver.
;-)  You have not given enough information for anyone to tell what started
the issue - like any updates you did (you said yuou don't do much in terms
of that) or anything else.  AFAIK you have been infested/infected with
something because you haven't updated and finally got hit through some
security flaw left unfixed and this is just a symptom - unfortunately.
Could be the ancient video device circuitry is just dying.  In order to
provide more, one would have to know what changed between it working fine
and it no longer working.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
2/2/2010 12:35:02 PM
"csteele32" <csteele32@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently using an older machine a: ASUS P2B-VM slot 1 550Mhz with a
> built in ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (GT-C2U2) 8MB Ram Video Card running 384mb
> RAM. I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have been for quite a while.
> have done very little upgrades, even though I know it definately needs
> alot.
> I haven't had any problems with anything until recently. 2 or 3 years ago
> downloaded from the ATI website a new driver with a display console
> adapter
> for adjustments. It worked fine in Win 2000 and in XP up until three weeks
> ago. Now XP is trying to protect my CPU and dumping the memory saying the
> Video Driver isn't correct, and windows is stating that the ATI software
> is
> not upto Windows Standards, or something like that.  It is good software
> from
> the valid site of the creation company of the hardware. I have enclosed
> the
> Addressess of the site I downloaded from, and the instructions enclosed to
> install them.
>
> Drivers Download Page
> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/legacy-xp.aspx
>
> Instructions site
> https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-j5-30-1-b02.html
>
> Is there a way to fix this? Can I tell Windows to leave it alone? Anyone
> Help?

Along with what Shenan said, you shouldn't be installing drivers from the
ATI site for an onboard video card; you should be getting the driver from
Asus. But since they stopped supporting anything after NT and Win9x for that
board, good luck with that. Windows is probably correct that it's not the
correct driver. You might try reinstalling the original and see what
happens. You'll have to uninstall your current one first, though.

Sounds like it's time to save up your pennies for a new(er) MB, or a new
system. Quite often, you can find ads for entry level PC's for around $200
with Win7 already installed. If what you have now is satisfactory for you,
one of those would be like jumping to a Cray :-)

I know that's not what you really want to hear, but eventually some piece of
software or hardware is going to want a much better system than what you
have now and you're going to be stuck with either doing without or getting
an upgrade.
--
SC Tom

0
SC
2/2/2010 1:15:41 PM
       That also may be WinXP telling you that the Rage Pro chip is finally
going south for the winter. I have a slot 1 that is only used for
emergencies. It's nine years old at least. I don't have the heart to throw
it away since it was my first build.
"csteele32" <csteele32@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently using an older machine a: ASUS P2B-VM slot 1 550Mhz with a
> built in ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (GT-C2U2) 8MB Ram Video Card running 384mb
> RAM. I am running Windows XP Home Edition and have been for quite a while.
> have done very little upgrades, even though I know it definately needs
> alot.
> I haven't had any problems with anything until recently. 2 or 3 years ago
> downloaded from the ATI website a new driver with a display console
> adapter
> for adjustments. It worked fine in Win 2000 and in XP up until three weeks
> ago. Now XP is trying to protect my CPU and dumping the memory saying the
> Video Driver isn't correct, and windows is stating that the ATI software
> is
> not upto Windows Standards, or something like that.  It is good software
> from
> the valid site of the creation company of the hardware. I have enclosed
> the
> Addressess of the site I downloaded from, and the instructions enclosed to
> install them.
>
> Drivers Download Page
> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/legacy-xp.aspx
>
> Instructions site
> https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-j5-30-1-b02.html
>
> Is there a way to fix this? Can I tell Windows to leave it alone? Anyone
> Help?

0
Rich

Shell.UI and vista Unable to determine XP theme error message
I'm opening a .net project that loads Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI in order to make the app inherit the dexterity colors. When I open this project on an XP machine, it works fine. When I open the same project on vista and open the designer, I get the following message : System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to determine XP theme. GetCurrentThemeName returned C:\Windows\resources\themes\Aero \Aero.msstyles for the theme name. at Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI.LibWrapper.GetThemeName() Fair enough, it doesn't understand aero themes. :) Is there an easy workaround or am I stuck having ...

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Windows Vista

Rental Equipment Software
I have a client that is renting equipment and would like some rental equipment software that will work with their current Great Plains software. My search, to date, has lend me to WennSoft. I'm looking for alternatives. Not that I have anything against WennSoft but just the fact that I would like them to have a number of alternatives solutions to choose from. Is anybody aware of any other solutions? My client cleint is running Dynamics GP. Thanks. Regards ...

open windows

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Downward compatibility
Why is it that Publisher 97 files cannot be opened in Publisher 2002? All other Office apps can open files from older versions. If I install Publisher 97 on my PC which already has Publisher 2002 installed, I can only use one. The older version "wipes" out the newer, preventing me from switching from one version to the other which would allow me to open my old files in '97 and later use 2002 to make new documents. What gives? There no reason why you can't use both versions. I can use 2000, 2002, and 2003 all at the same time. Are you installing them in separate d...

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows recovery console

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Windows update error

Can't open Outlook for Web Access over the net using 2000 or XP but can with 98?? Any ideas
Hi there, Can anyone tell me why a 2000 or XP system cannot log on remotely to Exchange's Outlook (2000 Server) for web access over https: when a 98 system can no-problem? Thx in advance. "David Sullivan" <dsullivan@bcl-international.com> wrote in message news:lGNLc.5216$Z14.6537@news.indigo.ie... > Hi there, > > Can anyone tell me why a 2000 or XP system cannot log on remotely to > Exchange's Outlook (2000 Server) for web access over https: when a 98 > system > can no-problem? > > Thx in advance. > > What version of IE is running ...

How Do I Remove Page # From Cover Sheet w/ Windows 2007?
I am writing a paper in Windows 2007 and cannot have a page number on the cover sheet. Help! Thanks : ) Presumably you mean Word 2007 since (a) there is no Windows 2007 and (b) Windows is not a word processor. Click in the header/footer to open it. In the Options group of the contextual Header & Footer Tools | Design tab, check the box for "Different First Page." Leave the First Page Header/Footer empty. If you need to start the numbering with 1 on the the second page, click on Page Number, choose Format Page Numbers, and change the "Page numbering" set...

We can't sign you in to Windows Live Messenger
For several days I've been unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger. I keep getting the same error: "Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" Error code 80048820 I've clicked troubleshoot to try to fix this problem, but troubleshoot couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried to reset my password, but this doesn't seem to work, because on the change password page I have to enter those security numbers and letters but they don't appear. When I listened to the audio and...

Windows Workflow Foundation
Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would be greatful Simon After much searching and trawling through C# examples that as its friday i didn't want to convert.. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2e575633-e357-4ee7-aaff-34138f00e830&displaylang=en Simon "Simon Whale" <simon@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23zfF5ScwKHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would > be greatful > > > Simon > ...

windows mail window
When I press send or receive, I get the emails but an error message appears. There is nothing left in the draft file and I eliminated the email that wouldn't go through. I want to clear this message from the windows mail window. Please help me. Jackie Carpenter What does the error message say? Right-click on it, select Copy, then paste it into a reply here. -- Windows 7 Ultimate http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview http://download.live.com/wlmail "jwcarpenter" <jwcarpenter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B5D0223-EE44-4C4E-9...

Non English fonts (Greek) not working in Windows XP SP3
I had a collection of Greek fonts which used to work fine with other versions of Windows (Windows 98). Recently I found the CD on which there were saved and tried to play these Greek fonts on Windows XP SP3, but they were not recognised. I tried them both in Windows English and Greek versions. What could be wrong? Thank you, Paul ...