Windows Firewall switching itself back on?

This happens on 2 PC's using XP/SP3, I disable it because I'm using Zone
Alarm Free.
It blocks the PC's from sharing files etc. when it does this.
Tried Comodo firewall but found it very irritating and the same thing was
happening..

--
Kenny Cargill

0
Kenny

Something's (very) wrong on all 3 computers.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and are your
subscriptions current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

computers (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Kenny wrote:
> This happens on 2 PC's using XP/SP3, I disable it because I'm using Zone
> Alarm Free.
> It blocks the PC's from sharing files etc. when it does this.
> Tried Comodo firewall but found it very irritating and the same thing was
> happening..

0
PA
1/24/2010 8:15:44 PM
Kenny wrote:
> This happens on 2 PC's using XP/SP3, I disable it because I'm using Zone
> Alarm Free.
> It blocks the PC's from sharing files etc. when it does this.
> Tried Comodo firewall but found it very irritating and the same thing was
> happening..

3rd party firewalls are unnecessary if one is on a network where the
router has a hardware firewall and the native Windows firewall is
enabled. Since you're adamant about using one, why not ask in the ZA
Forums ?

Zone Alarm Forums
http://forums.zonealarm.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

MowGreen
================
  * -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen
1/24/2010 8:15:53 PM
Kenny wrote:

> It blocks the PC's from sharing files etc.

Not if you go into its exceptions and enable its File & Printing Sharing
rule.  Regardless of using a firewall or not, the Guest account must be
enabled for file sharing to work (so be sure that it does NOT have a blank
password and make sure it is a STRONG password).
0
VanguardLH
1/24/2010 11:57:06 PM
"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> This happens on 2 PC's using XP/SP3, I disable it because I'm using Zone
> Alarm Free.
> It blocks the PC's from sharing files etc. when it does this.
> Tried Comodo firewall but found it very irritating and the same thing was
> happening..
>
> --
> Kenny Cargill

If you're adamant in disabling the XP firewall, run services.msc
and disable Security Center.

0
Ian

starting/ stopping a windows service
Hi, Does somebody know how to start / stop and get a status of a 'windows service' using MFC (or win32 api)? Regards, Ram. In article <eiUJzyWSEHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, ram_ba_ruch@newsgroups.nospam says... > Hi, > Does somebody know how to start / stop and get a status of a 'windows > service' using MFC (or win32 api)? StartService, StopService and QueryServiceStatus. You might also want to look at ControlService. -- Later, Jerry. The universe is a figment of its own imagination. int StartService(LPSTR sService) { SC_HANDLE hSCM = Open...

Rebuild windows belong a long process
I've a problem with a MFC-Application. (MS Visual c++ 6.0). I've a dialog-windows as user-interface. When the programm start a long loop, the windows goes grey and doesn't react, until the loop is over. I try with GetMessages and DispatchMessage, but then the user is able to close the dialog, while the loop is working. What can I do ? Thanks Pete >I've a problem with a MFC-Application. (MS Visual c++ 6.0). >I've a dialog-windows as user-interface. >When the programm start a long loop, the windows goes grey and doesn't >react, until the loop is over. >...

Finding Time of idle remote sessions(RDP) in windows XP
Hi, Is there any way i can find the time of idle remote session(RDP) in windows XP using powershell. Please help! Hi Rajeev, Plain TS or XenApp\Citrix? Martin "Rajeev" <s.rajeev3@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b4c8b150-79ff-4f0b-8d90-a13118c8eeda@z4g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is there any way i can find the time of idle remote session(RDP) in > windows XP using powershell. > > Please help! Its plain TS, using RDP In that case you should use Win32_LogonSession class and filter LogonType 10: http://msdn.microsoft....

Rebuilding Windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003
I've had a number of problems with this particular server blue screening while attempting to copy and paste Exchange files, restoring the Exchange files, and after working with technicians on both the hardware and software sides, I've decided to just rebuild the server. This is my plan and I'm looking for advice to make sure I'm taking the right steps. The server is currently the master domain controller, running the global catalog, dns and dhcp. I have another domain controller in the network that I will promote and give global catalog permissions to. I will then ...

Does every windows which shows itself while working on any Windows O.S ( lets say Windows 2k) a registered one?
Hello All, I am learning windows programming and using spy++ to view the class names and other properties of the windows for better understanding. It works fine for most of the windows that show themselves.But when windows generated by java program appear on the surface,it will only recognise the parent window with some classname like java.awt. but won't recognize the child windows like buttons,dropdowns inside the main java window. Earlier I was thinking that every window which we see in WindowsO.S shoule register itself with the O.S?But here the child windows of java haven't register...

Windows Mail-Getting REALLY Frustrating!
I'm starting to get really irritated now. A couple of weeks ago I wrote on this board that I had somehow lost my self created folders in Windows Mail for archiving my old e-mails. Well thanks to some 'posters' here, I managed to find them and have nearly gotten back all my old e-mails. Now for some reason everytime I open up and use Windows Mail, it completely hogs my CPU and makes using it pretty much impossible. I can hear the PC revving up like a jet engine after I open up the application and forget about trying to write anything. Press a letter and about two ...

RMS eCommerce Shopping Cart
Ok, I've been doing some research and the primary players with proven software that works are actually Kosmos Central and Nitrosell. Store Front from what I'm hearing and talking to past storefront users is pure junk so, it's basically between Kosmos and Nitrosell. Does anyone have a back to back comparison of both providers? 1) Kosmos Non Hosted. You own the source code to the shopping cart and can modify the functionality and design 100%. 2) Nitrosell Hosted. No chance of breaking the code, since you can't modify it at all. ------------------------------------------- B...

windows mail not work with office 2007
I have office 2007. Recently upgraded to Windows 7. Have Windows mail, not Outlook. Cannot email from office 2007. The email prompt is faded out and cannot be accessed. How to activate it? -- potpa What do you mean, you can't email from Office 2007? Just how are you = attempting that? Windows Mail is not designed to run in Windows 7, and although there are = hacks to make it somewhat functional, it is not so easy=20 to get it to be recognized by Windows 7 as capable of assuming the = default mail program role. The best solution is to install=20 Windows Live Mail. Gar...

windows live essentials update after reinstall of messenger
I got an optional update in my updates list that said it was released on 9/22/09 after I reinstalled messenger on this comp. has this happened to anyone else? as I don't remember the essentials update coming up in september the first time around. -- Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy Skywolfe Greetings, Out of curiosity, how did you reinstall it -- just using the MSIs or the actual Windows Live installer? I've always had this entry listed for me, as I use the MSIs on my production systems. After installing and dealing with a gazillion Live Ins...

PnPCapabilities, powermanagement and Windows 7
Don't know if this would be better off in a Windows 7 board or not, but here goes. We're rolling out Windows 7 with SCCM and want to ensure that no matter what, the nic adapter settings are the way we want them. So I'm using one of the standard vbscripts found via goggle to enumerate through nics and set the registry value for PnPCapabilities. http://www.jasemccarty.com/blog/?p=89 is one of the many sites with the same script; I don't know who originally wrote it. Anyway, the part where the script sets the value for the PnPCapabilities entry simply isn'...

Selecting multiple options in list box and sending back to table
Hi All, I have created a small database, for recording details about suppliers. Some our suppliers offer more than one service, so i thought the best way to select multiples would be to create a list box. I have changed the properties to allow me to select multiple options, however cannot get the selection to save back to the data table. Any help is much appreicated. What about something like Dim vRow As Variant With Me.YourListBoxName For Each vRow In .ItemsSelected 'Do what you'd like with the selected item. Next vRow End With -- Hope thi...

Windows 2008 Schedules task problem
Everyone, I am using excel macro to extract the data from web query. To automate this, I have created one vb.net windows application to execute the macro. And I have created in a schedules task to execute in hourly basis. This is working fine in windows 2003 with Excel 2003. After upgrading to Windows 2008 Enterprise SP2 with Excel 2010, I have some problems. 1) The scheduled task is started and not fired the excel macro when I choose the option 'Run whether the user is logged on or not' 2) The user has the Administrator privileges 3) The excel macro, VB.Net EXE has the...

UDP socket works fine on NT, doesn't work on Windows 2000 outside VS 6.0 IDE
We have an old client-server MFC application that uses UDP socket connection between client and server. In a nutshell, the client opens a connection, and the server starts sending small heartbeats every second. Everything works fine on Win95/98/NT4.0 SP6 and on Windows 2000 SP3 inside VS 6.0 IDE in the debug mode. On Windows 2000 either inside IDE (release mode) or outside VS 6.0 IDE (both debug and release build), client only receives a few first heartbeats, nothing thereafter. And the socket remains open. Is anyone familiar with this behaviour? Any suggestions? Any help will be greatly app...

"file open message window:" outlook.exe
application error when loading up outlook. any thoughts gang? tried basically everything we know here. Lisa ...

Office won't open in Windows 7
New PC in January. Outlook (Office 07) has worked fine since then. Yesterday tried to open Outlook and got the message "Cannot start Microsoft Offic Outlook. Cannot opn the Outlook window". Dagnostics tell me that there is nothing amiss but I can not open the prog. Please help! Try starting Outlook with the resetnavpane switch; Start-> type; outlook.exe /resetnavpane For additional solutions see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.c...

Stopping Windows Update auto reboot
Time and again, I've lost work because I've been pulled away from my computer and windows update decided it was more important to reboot my computer right then than it was to let me save me work. Is there anyway of preventing the auto reboot short of turning off windows update? Terry wrote: > Time and again, I've lost work because I've been pulled away from > my computer and windows update decided it was more important to > reboot my computer right then than it was to let me save me work. > Is there anyway of preventing the auto reboot short of turning o...

Auto start Outlook on Windows Startup?
Hi I know there must be an easy answer to this but... How do I get Outlook to Auto Start each time MS Windows starts? Any help is much appreciated. Cheers Jem place a shortcut in your startup folder... "Jem" <jeremy.turner@***NOSPAM***btinternet.com> wrote in message news:426e8303$0$304$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com... > Hi > > I know there must be an easy answer to this but... > > How do I get Outlook to Auto Start each time MS Windows starts? > > Any help is much appreciated. > > Cheers > > Jem > Ahh... I did a search f...

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Won't Recognize Outlook XP .pst Fi
Sirs: I received an insightful answer to my previous post on receiving "cyclic redundancy" errors when opening Outlook XP .pst files with Outlook-2007 on Windows 7 Home Premium Edition. I've used chkdsk as suggested, and am no longer receiving this error. Instead, I am receiving a new error report of, "Windows does not recognize Tools.pst as a valid 32 bit application'. Can anyone suggest a fix for this? Many thanks. How are you trying to open it? To reconnect a pst-file in Outlook use; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... Note that this is no...

Money 2004 files to back to Money 2000 program
My computer in Florida has Money 2004. When returning to Wisconsin I tried using the Money 2004 files with my Money 2000 in Wisconsin but the program would not open because it asked for my "Password". I have never used a password before and don't have a password. I have been using Money programs for 5 years and this is the first time I have had any problems. Any ideas? JoeinWisconsin -- -------------------------------------------- Joseph R. Ferris (Joe) E-mail: jferris@tponet.com URL: www.jferris.com ---------------------------------------- In microsoft.public.money...

Client IE errors when closing a window in CRM 4:U4.
Hello everyone, I've been searching for an answer on this and haven't yet run across anything. On SOME of my CRM client's machines, they get an error message stating that "Microsoft Dynamics has encountered an error." This occurs for a few of the users when they 'x' out of a window. If they send the error or hit cancel, the normal window comes up warning them that their email or letter, or whatever, will not be saved, hit ok to continue, cancel to go back. It's nothing serious, but the error doesn't come up for all users...just a few. Everything had b...

Problem exporting to excel with Windows XP
I work with a web based program that allows you to export reports to excel. However, it does not work on my computers with Windows XP. Has anyone had this problem before? What can I do to fix it? -- bhigdon ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bhigdon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23686 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395443 bhigdon <bhigdon.1to3ia_1123877104.1703@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in news:bhigdon.1to3ia_1123877104.1703@excelforum-nospam.com: > ...

windows media player 11 for windows xp
I did a system restore on my computer because neither my dell cinema player, my windows media player, nor my windows media player would play sound when i inserted any type of dvd. It played the picture fine, but no sound. There was no problem when i play a cd though. After the restore, i couldn't open up windows media player at all, I would get a yellow symbol with an exclamation point in it saying "internal application error". How can I correct this? Does reinstalling WMP fix the internal application error? If you don't have the original install package anymore,...

excel windows in taskbar
Is there a way to make the "show windows in taskbar" option a global default for excel? I have to go to Tools>Options>View and check the Windows In Taskbar box every day for every document to make it work. Is there a way to make it stick? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=21581 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com dork What version of Excel? Always good to state the version because some problems are version-specific and trouble-shooting is easier. From a posting by Debra Dalgleish............. There's some information in the following MSKB...

Opening multiple windows of same workbook with macro
I created a macro that will open several windows of the workbook I have created and each window will show a different tab on a different place on the screen. When I look at the code it references the code: Windows("Cutsheettemplate3.0.xls:3").Activate when I switch to one of the three windows and manipulate it. This works great if and only if the name of my workbook is Cutsheettemplate3.0.xls which will not always be the case. How can I revise the code to make it dynamic with what ever I name the file. Thanks for all your help! Windows(ActiveWorkbook.Name & ":3"...

Outlook 2003 presents EULA window every time I open
Just upgraded my PC to Windows 7 from XP. Had to reinstall MS Office 2003 to get Outlook. Then upgraded to MS Office 2007 (Student version) to get newer versions of Word, Excel (but not Outlook). Every time I open Outlook 2003, the EULA dialogue window pops up , which I accept. Why does it repeatedly do this even after I accept the license terms, and how can I make it stop? Thanks -- Jack G Start Outlook as an administrator and accept the EULA. Then restart Outlook to normally again. See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/353 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coau...