Windows Explorer can't delet long numerical files.

I have three directories in the root directory named

28e35e43bc9fba4052
564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
100145b6a635779a14

How do I delete them.?

All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.

I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.
-- 


Ride safe
Barry
<���>






0
limeybiker
5/10/2010 5:13:47 PM
windowsxp.general 3897 articles. 1 followers. Follow

10 Replies
787 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:13:47 -0400, "limeybiker" <abbl(nospam)@att.net>
wrote:

>
>I have three directories in the root directory named
>
>28e35e43bc9fba4052
>564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
>100145b6a635779a14
>
>How do I delete them.?
>
>All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.
>
>I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.

Try -

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

or maybe right click and check the file permissions
0
WaIIy
5/10/2010 5:22:26 PM
Many thanks worked like a charm.

-- 


Ride safe
Barry
<���>



"WaIIy" <WaIIy@(nft).invalid> wrote in message 
news:f4ggu519sk9lg1e80b8oo61p38d7tv73do@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:13:47 -0400, "limeybiker" <abbl(nospam)@att.net>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>I have three directories in the root directory named
>>
>>28e35e43bc9fba4052
>>564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
>>100145b6a635779a14
>>
>>How do I delete them.?
>>
>>All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.
>>
>>I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.
>
> Try -
>
> http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
>
> or maybe right click and check the file permissions 


0
limeybiker
5/10/2010 5:30:10 PM
limeybiker wrote:

> I have three directories in the root directory named
> 
> 28e35e43bc9fba4052
> 564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
> 100145b6a635779a14
> 
> How do I delete them.?
> 
> All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.
> 
> I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.

Have you tried rebooting into Recovery Console mode or Safe Mode with
Command Prompt to see if you can then delete them?

Have you tried unloading explorer.exe (Windows Explorer) which is also used
to display the desktop and might have a lock on those files?  Open a command
shell, open Task Manager, kill all instances of explore.exe (your desktop
disappears), use the command shell to delete the files/folders, and then use
File -> New Task to run a new instance of explore.exe (your desktop
reappears).

Unlocker is a handy utility to unlock a locked file or delete it on the next
Windows startup (by using the PendingRename registry key that the OS checks
on startup for renames or deletes).
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
0
VanguardLH
5/10/2010 7:04:55 PM
On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:13:47 -0400, "limeybiker"
<abbl(nospam)@att.net> wrote:

> 
> I have three directories in the root directory named
> 
> 28e35e43bc9fba4052
> 564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
> 100145b6a635779a14
> 
> How do I delete them.?
> 
> All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.
> 
> I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.

!!!  YOU SHOULD NOT  !!!

They are special system protected folders used by Windows or by
another application.  Deleting the MAY crash your system or
application, or effect the ability to uninstall something.

Look what is inside the folders.  Right-click a filename, select
Properties, and look at the version info to see where they came from.
This will give you an idea on why the folder is there.

By the way, the folder or file names like these are UIDs (Unique
Identifiers) used in the Registry.


--
======== Tecknomage ========
Computer Systems Specialist
     IT Technician
     San Diego, CA
0
Tecknomage
5/11/2010 11:22:39 AM
Tecknomage wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:13:47 -0400, "limeybiker"
> <abbl(nospam)@att.net> wrote:
> 
>> 
>> I have three directories in the root directory named
>> 
>> 28e35e43bc9fba4052
>> 564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
>> 100145b6a635779a14
>> 
>> How do I delete them.?
>> 
>> All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.
>> 
>> I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.
> 
> !!!  YOU SHOULD NOT  !!!
> 
> They are special system protected folders used by Windows or by
> another application.  Deleting the MAY crash your system or
> application, or effect the ability to uninstall something.
> 
> Look what is inside the folders.  Right-click a filename, select
> Properties, and look at the version info to see where they came from.
> This will give you an idea on why the folder is there.
> 
> By the way, the folder or file names like these are UIDs (Unique
> Identifiers) used in the Registry.

Where did you come up with that gem?  Folders named C:\<random> are
temporary folders created by program installations.  They are created either
when files are extracted from a downloaded archive/compressed file or used
during the install or after a reboot to continue the install.  The install
program should cleanup after itself by deleting these garbage folders but
developers are often lazy to actually check for a cleanup after install.

The folder names are rarely the class ID for the program.  They are randomly
generated and checked to make sure the folder doesn't already exist.  This
is merely to insure that there is a unique folder in which the install files
get deposited.  Often such programs will create a special-named subfolder
under your %temp% folder but some programs have realized that users tend to
cleanup their temp folder under their user profile and could interfere with
completion of the installation.

I have never seen any OS-dependent folders created with that naming scheme
for Windows.  I haven't seen it used (except during an installation) for any
applications, either, but then I only use a few dozen apps and don't what
the entire collection of software available might do when it installs.
0
VanguardLH
5/11/2010 12:06:18 PM

"Tecknomage" <tecknode@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message 
news:lieiu55fvar5b86di1nlrmjrjevcbjf4qr@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:13:47 -0400, "limeybiker"
> <abbl(nospam)@att.net> wrote:
>
>>
>> I have three directories in the root directory named
>>
>> 28e35e43bc9fba4052
>> 564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
>> 100145b6a635779a14
>>
>> How do I delete them.?
>>
>> All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.
>>
>> I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.
>
> !!!  YOU SHOULD NOT  !!!
>
> They are special system protected folders used by Windows or by
> another application.  Deleting the MAY crash your system or
> application, or effect the ability to uninstall something.
>
> ======== Tecknomage ========
> Computer Systems Specialist
>     IT Technician
>     San Diego, CA

The OP can safely delete these files or folders. They were probably left 
behind by some update that did not run its full course or failed to clean up 
on completion. Have you ever seen a case with your own eyes where deleting 
such a folder caused a problem? Please post full details here, or else state 
an authoritative reference to a Microsoft web page that says what these 
folders are and why they must be preserved. 

0
Pegasus
5/11/2010 1:43:12 PM
Well I used unlocker to delete them and sure enough it did, and the system 
hasn't died as someone predicted.

Unfortunately I now have five files in the recycle bin that won't go away.

-- 


Ride safe
Barry
<���>





"limeybiker" <abbl(nospam)@att.net> wrote in message 
news:uxG2%23QG8KHA.644@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I have three directories in the root directory named
>
> 28e35e43bc9fba4052
> 564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
> 100145b6a635779a14
>
> How do I delete them.?
>
> All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.
>
> I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.
> -- 
>
>
> Ride safe
> Barry
> <���>
>
>
>
>
>
> 


0
limeybiker
5/11/2010 3:35:12 PM
On Tue, 11 May 2010 07:06:18 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Tecknomage wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:13:47 -0400, "limeybiker"
>> <abbl(nospam)@att.net> wrote:
>> 
>>> 
>>> I have three directories in the root directory named
>>> 
>>> 28e35e43bc9fba4052
>>> 564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
>>> 100145b6a635779a14
>>> 
>>> How do I delete them.?
>>> 
>>> All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.
>>> 
>>> I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.
>> 
>> !!!  YOU SHOULD NOT  !!!
>> 
>> They are special system protected folders used by Windows or by
>> another application.  Deleting the MAY crash your system or
>> application, or effect the ability to uninstall something.
>> 
>> Look what is inside the folders.  Right-click a filename, select
>> Properties, and look at the version info to see where they came from.
>> This will give you an idea on why the folder is there.
>> 
>> By the way, the folder or file names like these are UIDs (Unique
>> Identifiers) used in the Registry.
>
>Where did you come up with that gem?  Folders named C:\<random> are
>temporary folders created by program installations.  They are created either
>when files are extracted from a downloaded archive/compressed file or used
>during the install or after a reboot to continue the install.  The install
>program should cleanup after itself by deleting these garbage folders but
>developers are often lazy to actually check for a cleanup after install.
>
>The folder names are rarely the class ID for the program.  They are randomly
>generated and checked to make sure the folder doesn't already exist.  This
>is merely to insure that there is a unique folder in which the install files
>get deposited.  Often such programs will create a special-named subfolder
>under your %temp% folder but some programs have realized that users tend to
>cleanup their temp folder under their user profile and could interfere with
>completion of the installation.
>
>I have never seen any OS-dependent folders created with that naming scheme
>for Windows.  I haven't seen it used (except during an installation) for any
>applications, either, but then I only use a few dozen apps and don't what
>the entire collection of software available might do when it installs.

Thanks for this explanation.  I've had a few of these crazily named
folders  and wondered if I could get rid of them.

One was from my Zune install.  Geez, you'd think Microsoft would get rid
of the temp folders during installation.
0
WaIIy
5/11/2010 4:56:29 PM
Restore them, then press Shift+Del to delete them without sending them to 
the Recyle Bin.

"limeybiker" <abbl(nospam)@att.net> wrote in message 
news:#iOMa#R8KHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Well I used unlocker to delete them and sure enough it did, and the system 
> hasn't died as someone predicted.
>
> Unfortunately I now have five files in the recycle bin that won't go away.
>
> -- 
>
>
> Ride safe
> Barry
> <���>
>
>
>
>
>
> "limeybiker" <abbl(nospam)@att.net> wrote in message 
> news:uxG2%23QG8KHA.644@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>I have three directories in the root directory named
>>
>> 28e35e43bc9fba4052
>> 564c1198e199c4fdd6f513f8b1a5b5
>> 100145b6a635779a14
>>
>> How do I delete them.?
>>
>> All are 10mb, with update and support sub directories.
>>
>> I can't delete them, not even in safe mode.
>> -- 
>>
>>
>> Ride safe
>> Barry
>> <���>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> 
0
Pegasus
5/11/2010 6:02:05 PM
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> limeybiker wrote ...
>> Well I used unlocker to delete them and sure enough it did, and the system 
>> hasn't died as someone predicted.
>>
>> Unfortunately I now have five files in the recycle bin that won't go away.
>
> Restore them, then press Shift+Del to delete them without sending them to 
> the Recyle Bin.

Or get CCleaner to help with this and other cleanup of your host.  You can
even configure CCleaner to run on login to do its cleanup every time you
start/use Windows (but be sure to enable the option to leave temp files that
are under a day old since some installs that require reboots to complete
will use the temp folders to complete the install after the reboot).  Once
you install CCleaner, and besides navigating the Start menu to start it, you
can right-click on the Recycle Bin to load Ccleaner.
0
VanguardLH
5/11/2010 8:23:52 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Sent Items Deletion Prevention
Greetings, We would like to prevent Sent Items file deletion for an OU of our Outlook 2003 users that connect to our Exchange 2003 SP1 servers. Any suggestions as to a smooth way of accomplishing this task? Thanks in Advance for the replies. Drukyulgoods... If you want to save emails, your best bet is message journaling or some 3rd party archivinig product. On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:10:08 -0700, drukyulgoods <Drukyulgoods@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Greetings, > >We would like to prevent Sent Items file deletion for an OU of our Outlook >2003 users that connec...

ASP Files not working windows VISTA IIS..
Hi..please advice how do i run asp files in my localhost and i'm using windows vistasundar ...

reinstalling windows
windows has become corrupted. when i have attempted to reinstall windows the set up screen tells me " the file cmdide.sys is corrupted. press any key to continue". at the bottom of the screen it says " setup failed". do i need to format the disc so that i can reinstall windows and if so, how do i do it? thanks, mike mikalle wrote: > windows has become corrupted. when i have attempted to reinstall windows the > set up screen tells me " the file cmdide.sys is corrupted. press any key to > continue". at the bottom of the screen it says &qu...

Converting Pulisher 98 files to work with Publisher 97
Can anyone help me with this. I did some work from home with Publisher 2003 and saved as Publisher 98. I thought that's what we had at work, but just found out we have Publisher 97. Can anyone help? Thanks, June Send me the file, I will convert it for you. It will lose formatting somewhat. gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "June G." <JuneG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A2C930C-A716-4C3A-A171-365E113E002B@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me...

Windows live mail
My windows live mail account will not send or recieve any messages. Every time I attempt to send an email. I get this message... windows cannot send this message you need a digital id, this message is not encrypted. I have tried to download a program for a digital id but this has not solved the problem. Dew "Dew" wrote: > My windows live mail account will not send or recieve any messages. Every > time I attempt to send an email. I get this message... windows cannot send > this message you need a digital id, this message is not encrypted. I have >...

delete rows where that contain an empty cell
I have 3 columns of data....columns 1 and 2 all have data...where column 3 contains an empty cell I would like to delete the row. Can someone help me please?? ....Lisa Try this Sub Delete_rows() i = 1 Do While Range("A" & i) <> "" If Range("C" & i) = "" Then Range("A" & i).Select Rows(i).Select Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp Else i = i + 1 End If Loop End Sub This assumes that your data is in couln A,B,C and the start of the data is in A1 If your data doesn't start in A1 then change the i=...

Windows Vista
Not sure whats going on, but when I opened Windows Mail this afternoon I decided not to send any emails and generates the message :- The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test 1', Account: 'pop.123-reg.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.123-reg.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I had this a few weeks ago and on going into account properties and clicking on and off the various Connection tick boxes, the problem cleared. However this time there is no change. Any Ideas ?? Submitted via EggHeadCafe -...

open windows
How do I close ALL open windows w/ ONE click Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums "kotus" wrote in message news:%23QO5zHhnKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How do I close ALL open windows w/ ONE click > If you can tolerate an extra click, you can right-click the group of windows in your task bar > Close group Otherwise you'd probably need a mini-app that with a desktop shortcut that does what you want. -- Jon On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:58:46 -0800, kotus wrote: > How do I close ALL open windows w/ ONE...

publisher cannot load files from a different version... HELP
i got an email from a friend and i am trying to open it, but i get "publisher cannot load files from a different version". I have Publisher 97. Is there anything that I can do besides buying an updated version? Thanks in advance! Bob TubMaster wrote: > i got an email from a friend and i am trying to open it, but i get "publisher > cannot load files from a different version". I have Publisher 97. > Is there anything that I can do besides buying an updated version? > > Thanks in advance! > Bob nope, with what you got... ask your friend to make a pdf o...

Windows pdate Status: Failed
Hi, This is my problem: http://yfrog.com/1fupdatekj So, how can I manage to install this update? I am using Acer Laptop with its own Vista and HP LP2275w monitor. Thanks in advance. Koray For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY (and/or 1-866-234-6020) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB9999...

Unknown 12029 while using window.ActiveXObject & window.XMLHttpRequest
Hi, I am using the following code in my .jsp file for request to, and get a response from a web server - without reloading the page. But this code is working if i will use http://localhost:8080/.../xxx.jsp. But if i will call remotely like http://12.12.12.1111:8080/.../xxx.jsp it's throwing "Unknown 12029" Exception. Kindly let me know what changes i should do. Plz explain me detailly on this. // code for Mozilla, Netscape, etc... if (window.XMLHttpRequest) { req=new XMLHttpRequest() req.onreadystatechange=state_Change req.open("GET",urlT,true) ...

How to delete the RSS Feeds folder in Outlook
I have a new computer with Outlook 2007. Being newly retired I am doing all my own computer setting up. Half the battle seems to be getting rid of all the garbage they download that clutters up your computer. I am trying to get totally rid of the RSS feeds which I simply don't want, but the option to delete the folder is greyed out. Do I just have to live with this pollution? You can't delete the default folders. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: d...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7
I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) and Office 2003 Pro. I setup my POP3 e-mail account and was able to send and receive mail once. I setup a second POP3 account and neither will work. I installed Outlook 2007 with the same result. From what I have read, the 32 bit OS does not have this problem. So far, no one has been able to come up with a work around for this. Any help will be appreciated. Its nothing to do with win32/64 When you test the accounts within Outlook, you should if theres a problem see some relevent err msgs "ernie146nn" <ernie146nn@discussions...

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords
When I use Windows Explorer to navigate and search through my files (using the View - choose details - keywords and other selections) I can't see the keywords - even though they are part of the file (can view in file properties). I can see the Author, Title, Subject, Category, Comments - everything that is in the file properties except keywords. Is there a setting I'm not selecting? -- David C. Beveridge -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > When I use Windows Explorer to navigate and search through my files (using > the View - choose details - keywords a...

DB Files with Access2007
Can any help prev with Access2003 I could read .db Files but 2007 return a invalid file Same goes with Excel 2003 was able to read mdb and db files but not with 2007 Thanks Hennie ...

windows 98 computer, running Office 2000, I deleted Outlook.pst thru windows explorer.
Please help, Outlook stoped recieving emails and said the problem was the Outlook.pst file. 1st. I tried reloading Office 2000 "did not help" 2nd. I deleted the Outlook.pst file on my windows 98 Computer running Office 2000 thru windows explorer The file was too large for the recycle bin and I chose delete. 3rd. Then I tried re installing office 2000 again and it did not reinstall the "outlook.pst file" Now I know that all my emails were in that .pst I have tried FINAL DATA 2.0 recovery software thru another hard drive and had no success finding the .pst file, where ...

Error message trying to recover deleted items
User receives the following error going into 'Recover Deleted Items', then Outlook closes: OUTLOOK.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. Any ideas? Let me know. Thanks. ...

Windows recovery console
How can I stop Windows Recovery Console coming up at Windows startup. There are a number of StartUp folders and none of them list WRC In news:%23qYZva4QLHA.4960@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, tatar typed on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:20:08 +0100: > How can I stop Windows Recovery Console coming up at Windows startup. > There are a number of StartUp folders and none of them list WRC You have added the Windows Recovery Console to your HDD? Anyway to change the default boot OS all you need to do is: Control Panel System Advanced (tab) Startup and Recovery (Settings) Default operatin...

Opening Files*
When I open an Excel file only the blank Excel screen comes up. Then I have to go to open and find it etc. How do I set up so files automatically open in the program they were saved on? Thank If you save all your excel files in a particular folder you set the default through Tools > Options then under the general tab. Type the path to the folder that you wish and when you select open excel will open tht folder. Is this what you meant? regards Murray >-----Original Message----- >When I open an Excel file only the blank Excel screen comes up. Then I have to go to open and find i...

How to disable the usage of "Permanently Deleting Items"
Hello, I want to disable the usage of "Permanently Deleting Items" for every user. Is there a way to disable this on the Exchange server or with Outlook. Every object must go into the folder deleted items. This setup shall help for better recovery support. Thanks Frank ...

difference between window dimensions and window client area dimensions
I need to find the difference between window dimensions and window client area dimensions for an SDI application. Currently I'm using the brute force method: CRect clientRect; GetClientRect(&clientRect); CRect mainRect; GetWindowRect(&mainRect); int frameExtraX = mainRect.Width() - clientRect.Width(); int frameExtraY = mainRect.Height() - clientRect.Height(); This is ugly and doesn't always work, so I would like to get frameExtraX and frameExtraY from some kind of system metrics values. Thank you! You've already said the magic words "system metrics&q...

Loosing Leading zeros in CSV file
Hello How do i stop a CSV file loosing leading zeros. when the file is in excel format it is exactly how i want it, but to import it into another program i need to save it as a csv file and it is then that i loose the leading zeros has any body got any ideas -- Cheers Instead of exporting a number, export "=TEXT(YourNumber,"00000000")" or as many "0"s as you need -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:132E74A3-A138-4B07-88C7-686FAB45F593@microsoft.com... > Hello > > How do i st...

windows messenger/Outlook 2002
Hello........i am running office xp 2002 on windows xp professional and every time that i open up outlook 2002, windows messgenger 6.0 opens up...windows messenger is not even on the list of programs automatically set to open up on the Start up programs tab...can anybody help and tell why this is happening?....thanks...Rolf disable messenger integration on tools, options, other Renegade wrote: > Hello........i am running office xp 2002 on windows xp > professional and every time that i open up outlook 2002, > windows messgenger 6.0 opens up...windows messenger is > not e...

Creating and accessing BCM files stored on Network Accessible Stor
Our IT contractor has just installed a Network Accessible Storage device (DLink DNS-323). We can see this from all computers on our wireless network. I want to create our BCM database on the NAS so that all people on site can access it. We are also planning to set up a VPN to allow our offsite staff access to the BCM database. My problem is that BCM cannot see the NAS. Indeed when you are setting up a new database there does not seem to be a browse capability to allow you to set it up anywhere other than your local hard drive. Any ideas? "Mdith" <Mdith@discuss...

Windows update error
I get the follow messege when i try and run a windows update. Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue: Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended) Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem What to thye mean by redister or reinstall filles. How do i do it? Adam wrote: > I get the follow messege when i try and run a windows update. > > Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or > installed on your computer. To continue: > > ...