Windows 7 question 12-01-09

Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have
to say about the Back Screen of Death.
0
Rick

"Rick" <Pawalleye@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have to
> say about the Back Screen of Death.

Windows 7 Forums:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Non MS Newsgroup:
alt.windows7.general

0
Gordon
12/1/2009 9:50:08 PM
Rick wrote:
> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks
> have to say about the Back Screen of Death.

Guessing you mean "Black" screen of death.

Haven't seen it personally - sure it exists although likely caused by some
third party program having changed something from default or
incompatibility.

There is no official MS Windows 7 newsgroup (in English) - nor will there
probably be - only web forums.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
12/1/2009 9:54:17 PM
Gordon wrote:

> "Rick" <Pawalleye@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have
>> to say about the Back Screen of Death.
>
> Windows 7 Forums:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7
>
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/
>
> Non MS Newsgroup:
> alt.windows7.general

Thank you
0
Rick
12/1/2009 9:57:21 PM
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:08:32 -0600, Rick <Pawalleye@nospam.com> wrote:

> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have
> to say about the Back Screen of Death.

Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that there will be any Microsoft
Windows 7 newsgroups. Apparently Microsoft has decided that web-based
forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their efforts
there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their decision,
not mine.

However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
alt-windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
here's one free news server that does: aioe.org

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
12/1/2009 9:58:43 PM
> Gordon wrote:
>>
>> "Rick" <Pawalleye@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have
>>> to say about the Back Screen of Death.
>>
>> Windows 7 Forums:
>>
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7
>>
>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/
>>
>> Non MS Newsgroup:
>> alt.windows7.general
>>

> Thank you

YW!

0
Gordon
12/1/2009 9:59:49 PM

On 12/1/2009 3:08 PM, Rick wrote:
> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have
> to say about the Back Screen of Death.

Microsoft has not, and it's doubtful they ever will create a NNTP
newsgroup for Windows 7.  Instead they have opted for an online forum.
However there is a non-Microsoft sponsored newsgroup available, but not
all servers carry it.

The writing is on the wall and this is a sign of things to come.  More
and more companies are turning to either online forums or mailing lists
for support as it is easier for them to deal with spam and the twits
that try to spoil everybody's fun.

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3

0
Roy
12/1/2009 10:35:20 PM
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks
>> have to say about the Back Screen of Death.
>
> Guessing you mean "Black" screen of death.
>
> Haven't seen it personally - sure it exists although likely caused by some
> third party program having changed something from default or
> incompatibility.
>
> There is no official MS Windows 7 newsgroup (in English) - nor will there
> probably be - only web forums.

I am do not type well "Black is correct
0
Rick
12/1/2009 10:54:07 PM
Lemme save you some time.  See
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2009/12/01/reports-of-issues-with-november-security-updates.aspx

Rick wrote:
> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have
> to say about the Back Screen of Death.

0
PA

Rick wrote:
> I am do not type well "Black" is correct

Okay.

You may be interested in this:
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2009/12/01/reports-of-issues-with-november-security-updates.aspx

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan

------=_NextPart_000_01ED_01CA72B1.ED2FA160

MS is looking into it.
apparently it only effects a very few computers that are running some =
particular program[s].
seems the authors thought to code against ms recommendations. when ms =
made a change they got caught.

of course everyone blames ms.

mikeyhsd@hotmail.com

  "Rick" <Pawalleye@nospam.com> wrote in message =
  Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have =

  to say about the Back Screen of Death.
------=_NextPart_000_01ED_01CA72B1.ED2FA160

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16444"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>MS is looking into it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>apparently it only effects a very few =
computers=20
that are running some particular program[s].</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>seems the authors thought to code =
against ms=20
recommendations. when ms made a change they got caught.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>of course everyone blames =
ms.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<P><FONT color=3D#ff0000>
<MARQUEE bgColor=3D#ffff00 height=3D22 behavior=3Dalternate =
width=3D"35%" scrollAmount=3D2=20
scrollDelay=3D9><A=20
href=3D"mailto:mikeyhsd@hotmail.com">mikeyhsd@hotmail.com</A></MARQUEE></=
FONT></P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Rick" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:Pawalleye@nospam.com">Pawalleye@nospam.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:O6wvxpscKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl">news:O6wvxpscKHA.6096=
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>Is=20
  there a Windows7 newsgroup?&nbsp; I am interested to see what folks =
have=20
  <BR>to say about the Back Screen of Death.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01ED_01CA72B1.ED2FA160--

0
mikeyhsd
12/2/2009 12:13:04 AM
Then see http://www.prevx.com/blog/141/Windows-Black-Screen-Root-Cause.html

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Lemme save you some time.  See
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2009/12/01/reports-of-issues-with-november-security-updates.aspx
>
> Rick wrote:
>> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have
>> to say about the Back Screen of Death.

0
PA
12/2/2009 1:24:36 AM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Then see http://www.prevx.com/blog/141/Windows-Black-Screen-Root-Cause.html
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Lemme save you some time.  See
>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2009/12/01/reports-of-issues-with-november-security-updates.aspx
>>

>> Rick wrote:
>>> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have
>>> to say about the Back Screen of Death.

been there :)
0
Rick
12/2/2009 2:44:03 AM
That's because most all company's like web based everything now adays.
soon text news groups will go the way of dial up history:)

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:08:32 -0600, Rick <Pawalleye@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a Windows7 newsgroup?  I am interested to see what folks have
>> to say about the Back Screen of Death.
>

> Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that there will be any Microsoft
> Windows 7 newsgroups. Apparently Microsoft has decided that web-based
> forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their efforts
> there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their decision,
> not mine.
>
> However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
> alt-windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
> here's one free news server that does: aioe.org
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

1
Andy
12/2/2009 6:13:50 AM
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 01:26:23 -0500, "Andy" <N@n.com> wrote:

> that and thanks to a judge over file shareing ect more and more ISP'S are
> dropping news groups alltogeather

Yes, also true. My ISP (Comcast) for example, has dropped them.
However, there are lots of other companies that can provide you with a
news server, and several of them are free. I mostly use
news.eternal-September.org, which is one of the free ones, and very
good.

> or most of them.
> i can rember when dial up was both king and the only way you GOT online:)
>

> --
> AL'S COMPUTERS
> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 01:13:50 -0500, "Andy" <N@n.com> wrote:
> >
> >> That's because most all company's like web based everything now adays.
> >

> > I'm afraid that you are right.
> >

> >> soon text news groups will go the way of dial up history:)
> >

> > I don't think that they will *all* disappear anytime soon. But
> > unfortunately for many of them, their use is decreasing, and they will
> > disappear. I just hope it doesn't happen anytime soon.
> >

> >> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken

Question about Tasks in Outlook
I'm new at this so bear with me I'm trying to figure out how to assign a task that needs to go to multiple individuals. I need to track the time it takes each person in my office to do their piece of a project. Their part of the project is not done using any MS software. I need to be able to create a project, put due dates on it, assign it to a person, and have them fill in the completion date/time for their part of the project. Then they need to be able to send it to the next person. Each project will generally have the same number of steps. Any ideas? Thanks How about you gi...

Z Report #7
Hi everyone, I need to understand the X Report. Specially when you use layaways, is not clear to me where it shows the payments against the final sale. Is there a document that would explain each line of this report??? Thanks, Sacha can't remember where I found this. hope it helps Register - Number given to register where report was produced Batch Number - The number assigned by Store Operations to identify the current batch. Batch Status - Shows whether the batch is closed or not Start Date - Date when batch begins Start Time - Time when batch begins End Date - Date when batch...

Formatting Question #3
I have the following: =IF((B21-C21)>0,B21-C21 & " Under Budget", B21-C21 & " Over Budget") How can I get the resulting value to be formatted as currency? I have formatted the cell as currency but I guess with the & "text" it doesn't treat the numerical part as currency. You are correct. So to overcome that, Put your currency symbol into the formula too. =IF((B21-C21)>0,"$"&B21-C21 & " Under Budget", "$"&B21-C21 & " Over Budget") "M.Siler" wrote: > I have the fo...

reinstalling windows

CRM Questions on SFOC
Just a question... What are the advantanges and disadvantages to using the CRM Toolbar for creating Task, Appointments, E-mails and Contacts, which creates them in both CRM and in Outlook? If in both you could synch with a Palm or other PDA from within the Outlook folders, and I know you they synch automatically between, but would you not want to keep your corporate business contacts separate in CRM and then personal or personal business is Outlook? Just some clarificaion would be helpful. Thanks! Shauna A great advantage of the SFO CRM Appointment button is that you get visibilit...

Windows live mail

Outlook 2007 question
I installed outlook 2007 and now I try to customise it but I notice that the Tools/Opions and Tools/Customize menus are disabled. Why and how to enable them? thanks I notice now that the problem is more severe. I cannot reply to messages, save is not working. It seems that most of the functionality is disabled. I can receive emails but cannot answer them. Any clue? this is very bothering. Thanks! "YLY" wrote: > I installed outlook 2007 and now I try to customise it but I notice that the > Tools/Opions and Tools/Customize menus are disabled. Why and how to enable > t...

Windows Vista

NEWBIE question. Fields with calculations correct on form not showing up on report?
I have basic fields that are on a data entry form so when the clerk types in quantity and unit price the TOTALS field calculates this. When I look at or pull in the TOTALS field on my report it just shows $0's. How do I get the report to show what's on my form? On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:00:37 -0800 (PST), p-rat <osupratt@yahoo.com> wrote: >I have basic fields that are on a data entry form so when the clerk >types in quantity and unit price the TOTALS field calculates this. > >When I look at or pull in the TOTALS field on my report it just shows >$0's. How do I ...

form question
is it possible to have an animated gif work on a form? If so how? Not possible with the default Excel image control etc. You will need to use a 3rd party ActiveX control. Alternatively you could use the Internet Explorer component. However this will add a bit of bulk and an extra dependency to your solution. -- Regards, Bill Lunney www.billlunney.com "macamarr" <macamarr@cox.net> wrote in message news:091d01c35027$d45235d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > is it possible to have an animated gif work on a form? If > so how? As a more complete follow up. Add the IE contr...

open windows

Help Please 12-10-09
I have a table with Name, PostDate and amount. John 1/1/2009 10.00 john 1/2/2009 20.00 john 1/3/2009 50.00 I need to subtract the amount from the prior date and so on. almost like a running total but its the variance i want. thanks. I got this suggestion but i get "#error" in amtprev and Variance SELECT tblPosted.UserName, tblPosted.PostDate, tblPosted.Amount, nz(DLookUp("Amount","tblPosted","PostDate= #" & [PostDate]-1 & "# AND UserName='" & [UserName] & "'"),0) AS AmtPrev, [Amount]-nz...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Spam question
I'm not sure if this is the right group for posting this question, but since Outlook XP is my default client, I thought I'd start here. As many do, I get a ton of spam, but I've noticed the send to address isn't correct. Let's say I'm "sunbeam@whatever.net." I get mail with a single addressee to sunbalm, sunshine, sunbreath, etc. How does this happen and is there any way in Outlook XP to restrict the mail I receive to my specific address? mb http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.htm might be helpful. "moonbone" <relax@home.com> w...

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Excel found unreadable content 11-17-09
I recently was upgraded to Excel 2007, when I try to open my spreadsheets that have large pivot tables I get the Excel found unreadable content error I can click on yes to recover however my pivot tables are no longer pivot tables they are just the values in a cell. If I open up the spreadsheet in Excel 2003, no error and the pivot tables are still functioning. Any ideas what I can do? ...

Outlook Outbox 01-30-10
I tried to send an email and when it didn't leave the outbox, I deleted it. But, the email will not move out of the outbox area. I have tried to delete it over and over again with no success. Any suggestions? ( I am using Outlook 2010 beta ). Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Try posting to an Office 2010 group: Office 2010 forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Darrell Gow" <d...

Windows recovery console

crystal report question 05-04-04
Hi, is it possible to use my own sql statement to build the crystal reports in crm 1.2? I want to use some functions i.e. count(*) to add some statistic on the reportings. Thanks in advance Jani ...

windows messenger/Outlook 2002