Why is it called Windows 7

Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
The year is not ending in a 7.
They already used 95 and 98.
I would have expected Windows 10 or 2010 (as in the year 2010)

Why the "7"  ????

Or is it like this

Win3.x = 1
Win 95 = 2
Win 98 = 3
Win ME = 4
Win XP = 5
Vista    = 6
Win 7   = 7

Curious minds want to know !!!!

0
mister_friendly

In news:5lpdr51gtr2tbk8ujdphjdoh6vbihu4t5v@4ax.com,
mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com <mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com>
typed:

> Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
> Why the "7"  ????
> Curious minds want to know !!!!

You're struggling to make sense from M$ pure marketing bullshit.

0
Greg
4/3/2010 7:30:06 AM
mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:

> Why was Windows 7 called "7"?

What do you see when you run winver.exe?
0
VanguardLH
4/3/2010 7:34:38 AM
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 02:34:38 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:
>
>> Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
>
>What do you see when you run winver.exe?

To answer your question, I see "Windows 98" (cuz I'm running 98 at the
moment).

Because I do not have Windows 7,  I have no clue what I'd see in Win7?
You tell me, if you have Win7 installed.

Thanks

0
mister_friendly
4/3/2010 8:00:24 AM
Read all about the Windows series here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows

--
Google is your friend.....

<mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com> wrote in message
> Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
> The year is not ending in a 7.
> They already used 95 and 98.
> I would have expected Windows 10 or 2010 (as in the year 2010)
>
> Why the "7"  ????
>
> Or is it like this
>
> Win3.x = 1
> Win 95 = 2
> Win 98 = 3
> Win ME = 4
> Win XP = 5
> Vista    = 6
> Win 7   = 7
>
> Curious minds want to know !!!!

0
David
4/3/2010 10:04:43 AM
mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:
> Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
> The year is not ending in a 7.
> They already used 95 and 98.
> I would have expected Windows 10 or 2010 (as in the year 2010)
>
> Why the "7"  ????
>
> Or is it like this
>
> Win3.x = 1
> Win 95 = 2
> Win 98 = 3
> Win ME = 4
> Win XP = 5
> Vista    = 6
> Win 7   = 7
>
> Curious minds want to know !!!!

Window7 is simply a return to the "NT" numbering system

Windows 1, 2, 3x, Windows 95/98/ME were all DOS-based

but starting with NT3.1 "NT" operating systems were no longer DOS based
(you can do your own research as to what "NT" operating systems are )

NT 3.51 and NT4 came next

but the next step  NT5 was called "Windows 2000"

and XP is really NT5.1

Vista= NT6

and now Win7 is simply NT7
0
philo
4/3/2010 12:05:25 PM
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 07:05:25 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

> mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:
> > Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
> > The year is not ending in a 7.
> > They already used 95 and 98.
> > I would have expected Windows 10 or 2010 (as in the year 2010)
> >
> > Why the "7"  ????
> >
> > Or is it like this
> >
> > Win3.x = 1
> > Win 95 = 2
> > Win 98 = 3
> > Win ME = 4
> > Win XP = 5
> > Vista    = 6
> > Win 7   = 7
> >
> > Curious minds want to know !!!!
> >

> Window7 is simply a return to the "NT" numbering system
>

> Windows 1, 2, 3x, Windows 95/98/ME were all DOS-based
>

> but starting with NT3.1 "NT" operating systems were no longer DOS based
> (you can do your own research as to what "NT" operating systems are )
>

> NT 3.51 and NT4 came next
>
> but the next step  NT5 was called "Windows 2000"
>
> and XP is really NT5.1
>

> Vista= NT6
>

> and now Win7 is simply NT7

Windows 7 is NT 6.1. Do the Ver command to see that yourself.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
4/3/2010 2:04:15 PM
<mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com> wrote in message
> Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
> The year is not ending in a 7.
> They already used 95 and 98.
> I would have expected Windows 10 or 2010 (as in the year 2010)
>
> Why the "7"  ????
>
> Or is it like this
>
> Win3.x = 1
> Win 95 = 2
> Win 98 = 3
> Win ME = 4
> Win XP = 5
> Vista    = 6
> Win 7   = 7
>
> Curious minds want to know !!!!

It actually has nothing to do with the "NT numbering system" as someone
suggested. The NT version of Windows 7 is actually 6.1, chosen in part
because of its similarity to the Vista build and to increase program
compatibility, similar to the choice to version Windows 2000 and XP both
as NT5.x versions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#Releases

Microsoft determined that it was the seventh release of a major Windows
version, and chose that name, even though it does not correspond with
the version number of the operating system.

Why is it called Windows 7?
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=2161

This also might help you understand:
http://www.askvg.com/why-microsoft-used-the-name-windows-7-explanation-inside/

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

0
glee
4/3/2010 2:08:45 PM
mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 02:34:38 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:
>>
>>> Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
>>
>>What do you see when you run winver.exe?
>
> To answer your question, I see "Windows 98" (cuz I'm running 98 at the
> moment).
>
> Because I do not have Windows 7,  I have no clue what I'd see in Win7?
> You tell me, if you have Win7 installed.
>
> Thanks

You got your one-shot for a response.  Next time don't omit the obvious
information that you already know.  Read the other replies.
0
VanguardLH
4/3/2010 3:02:09 PM
mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:
> Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
> The year is not ending in a 7.
> They already used 95 and 98.
> I would have expected Windows 10 or 2010 (as in the year 2010)
>
> Why the "7"  ????
>
> Or is it like this
>
> Win3.x = 1
> Win 95 = 2
> Win 98 = 3
> Win ME = 4
> Win XP = 5
> Vista    = 6
> Win 7   = 7
>
> Curious minds want to know !!!!

Because "Tits Aplenty" was already trademarked?

0
HeyBub
4/3/2010 3:17:06 PM
In news:hp7l9f$h8a$1@news.albasani.net,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> typed:
> mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 02:34:38 -0500, VanguardLH
>> <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> What do you see when you run winver.exe?
>>
>> To answer your question, I see "Windows 98" (cuz I'm
>> running 98 at the moment).
>>
>> Because I do not have Windows 7,  I have no clue what I'd
>> see in Win7? You tell me, if you have Win7 installed.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> You got your one-shot for a response.  Next time don't omit
> the obvious information that you already know.  Read the
> other replies.

Vangourd's an idiot; ignore him. He's also a troller.

0
Twayne
4/3/2010 5:09:08 PM
In news:5lpdr51gtr2tbk8ujdphjdoh6vbihu4t5v@4ax.com,
mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com
<mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com> typed:
> Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
> The year is not ending in a 7.
> They already used 95 and 98.
> I would have expected Windows 10 or 2010 (as in the year
> 2010)
>
> Why the "7"  ????
>
> Or is it like this
>
> Win3.x = 1
> Win 95 = 2
> Win 98 = 3
> Win ME = 4
> Win XP = 5
> Vista    = 6
> Win 7   = 7
>
> Curious minds want to know !!!!

Actually, in the internal numbering scheme they use at MS, the
expected name would have been something that sounded like or
releated it to Vista, which they didn't want, even though
NT6.1/win7 IS actually a re-arranged, not even completely
rewritten, version of Vista, the OS that was pure crap. Win7
is defaulted and runs a bit better than Vista, but not much.
   I'm sure there will be naysayers to this, but ... that's
what it's about.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne
4/3/2010 5:14:09 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/10/14/why-7.aspx

Bernd
0
Bernd
4/3/2010 5:52:31 PM
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 07:05:25 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:
>>> Just curious.  Why was Windows 7 called "7"?
>>> The year is not ending in a 7.
>>> They already used 95 and 98.
>>> I would have expected Windows 10 or 2010 (as in the year 2010)
>>>
>>> Why the "7"  ????
>>>
>>> Or is it like this
>>>
>>> Win3.x = 1
>>> Win 95 = 2
>>> Win 98 = 3
>>> Win ME = 4
>>> Win XP = 5
>>> Vista    = 6
>>> Win 7   = 7
>>>
>>> Curious minds want to know !!!!
>>>

>> Window7 is simply a return to the "NT" numbering system
>>

>> Windows 1, 2, 3x, Windows 95/98/ME were all DOS-based
>>

>> but starting with NT3.1 "NT" operating systems were no longer DOS based
>> (you can do your own research as to what "NT" operating systems are )
>>

>> NT 3.51 and NT4 came next
>>
>> but the next step  NT5 was called "Windows 2000"
>>
>> and XP is really NT5.1
>>

>> Vista= NT6
>>

>> and now Win7 is simply NT7
>

> Windows 7 is NT 6.1. Do the Ver command to see that yourself.

Oh my

I guess Microsoft goofed then

it should be Windows 6.1

(g)

But seriously

thanks for the correction

0
philo
4/3/2010 7:21:15 PM
Twayne wrote:

> In news:hp7l9f$h8a$1@news.albasani.net,
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> typed:
>> mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:

>>> To answer your question, I see "Windows 98" (cuz I'm
>>> running 98 at the moment).
>>>
>>> Because I do not have Windows 7,  I have no clue what I'd
>>> see in Win7? You tell me, if you have Win7 installed.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> You got your one-shot for a response.  Next time don't omit
>> the obvious information that you already know.  Read the
>> other replies.
>
> Vangourd's an idiot; ignore him. He's also a troller.

Note that anyone that disagrees with Twayne has him declaring them a
troller.  In the past, if I expressed a viewpoint with which he agreed then
I was his buddy.  He has short-term memory and is very fickle.
0
VanguardLH
4/4/2010 12:03:08 AM
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 07:05:25 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>Window7 is simply a return to the "NT" numbering system
>

>Windows 1, 2, 3x, Windows 95/98/ME were all DOS-based
>

>but starting with NT3.1 "NT" operating systems were no longer DOS based
>(you can do your own research as to what "NT" operating systems are )

I was told it was Neville Tchamberlain.

>NT 3.51 and NT4 came next
>
>but the next step  NT5 was called "Windows 2000"
>
>and XP is really NT5.1
>

>Vista= NT6
>

>and now Win7 is simply NT7

0
mm

Call in?
Do new owners of Office X have to call up Microsoft to register their copy? If yes, what's the number? thanks. Ming <asdf@asdf.com> wrote: > Do new owners of Office X have to call up Microsoft to register their > copy? If yes, what's the number? thanks. Nope. We're not using Windoze :->>> This version does not require activation. Corentin -- - Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) - (MS) MVP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=FR&scid=fh;FR;mvp Newsgroups produits MS: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/?ln=FR ...

Getting child window co-ordinates
Hi, How do I get the co-ordinates of a child window relative to the application's main window? TIA, SD From the main window: m_ChildWindow.GetWindowRect(&Rect); ScreenToClient(&Rect); AliR. "SD" <SD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F5E594D-2828-46AB-A7F8-8B8447BC4799@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > How do I get the co-ordinates of a child window relative to the > application's main window? > > TIA, > SD ...

Change text font in Account Settings & Options Windows
Last week the font in the Account Settings Windows and Options Window changed to a bold font. Now I cannot select some of the buttons and cannot read all the text. How can I change the font back to its original value? papparuff -- John V. Ruff Applications Support Analyst SolutionsIQ www.SolutionsIQ.com 10785 Willows Road NE Redmond, WA 98052 425.250.3484 Did you change the DPI for your computer? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/o...

Covered Call Options
Hello all, I do I go about dealing with a covered call transaction in Microsoft Money 2007 Premium? Currently what I am doing is inputing the option symbol, and choosing the transaction "Sell to Open" then when I go to expire the option I try to do a Sell to Close. However it does not seem to work? Also what happens if instead of expired I has the position assigned? how would I account for that? Thank you. Shhhh In microsoft.public.money, Shhhh wrote: > >I do I go about dealing with a covered call transaction in Microsoft >Money 2007 Premium? Currently what I am doing is...

Call center tracking and reporting
Anyone use CRM 4.0 for call tracking? Our Sales/Marketing is set up. Now I need to decide how to most efficiently customize CRM 4.0 for our company's call tracking portion. Can someone send me a link to information? thanks ...

Windows mail syncronization with other mail server
I recently configured windows mail and configured it for synconization with t-online mailserver. Standard configuration was that the mails on the other mailserver will be deleted after 5 days. However, all incoming mails on my t-online mailserver have been deleted immediately after they were transfered to windows mail. Questions: 1. who is responsible for that? 2. How can I get the mails back to my t-online mailserver? Is there another computer or device (smartphone?) checking that same mail account? Other than that, I don't know what might cause that. Try unchecking the '...

How do I delete a report template in Windows 7 Word?
I prepared a report using a themed template with Word in Windows 7. Now I'm told the document should have no template associated with it as it has to be sent to a designer. How do I get rid of the template? Even when I create a new doc and paste the info in, it carries the old template with it. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/templaterelations/index.html and assure the designer that even attaching a different template would make no difference to the contents. There has to be SOME template attached, and there's much more danger of things going pear-shaped if it's ...

Outlook won't open #7
Upgraded to Outlook 2003. Have installed, uninstalled, and reisntalled. When I try to open Outlook, it says Outlook closed improperly last time, and do I want to open in safe mode. I do, and when I hit icon or any other way to open Outlook, it won't open. When I shut down computer, it is apparent that it is running in background. What am I doing wrong. I am on Windows XP Right-click the taskbar and click on Task Manager. Find Outlook.exe in the processes list. End process on it. You should then be able to open Outlook. (As to why it is doing that, that's another post. &l...

Average #7
Hi, I am working with marks, some of it is out of 100 and others are of 200. Colomn E has the marks and colomn C has the (Out of) mark. Colomn C Colomn E 100 70 100 80 200 120 ........ .... I want to calculate the average of marks in colomn E. It is easy if all the marks are out of 100 (average=Total / number of marks). i.e. if I have 10 marks out of one hundred then the sum is divided by 10.... What should I do if one or more marks are not of 100 as shown in the exaple ...

telephone calls
when placing a telephone call using outlook, everything works fine except I can't hear the person i am talking to. They can hear me find. When I use a telephone program not associated with outlook every thing works great. can someone help ...

sales for outlook browser windows
It seems to only happen when using sales for outlook over vpn...all browser windows open in the lower right hand corner. I have to keep dragging the window to the center of the screen to see the data. Does anyone know how to fix this so that it automatically opens in the center rather than off to the right??? THanks ...

Windows server 2000 strange crash
Hi, i have a strange problem in my network, 1 dc 2000 server which is also dhcp server and dns server ,and 1 member server 2003 acting as fileserver. When rebooting the dc, it will work properly. Running dcdiag and netdiag will not show any problems, all tests passing, no errors, no warnings. But after 14 hours (at night when nobodys working), the DC simple stops findind himself...running netdiag gives dc_list and ldap errors, dcdiag wont even run, gives just an error 31 with ldap. After this, i get replication errors, problems with connectivity, leading to server stop responding...

Calling Macro
Hi All, I have macro like this sub unique() '''''''' '''''''' Counter_item = 0 For Each Item In nodups counter_item = counter_item + 1 bic_var = Item Call Ps_Match Next Item end sub I have another macro Sub Ps_Match() ''''' ''''' If counter_item <= 1 Then call another_macro() end if end sub In the first macro i am declaring counter_item equals to 1. In my second macro i need to call that number. At the to of the module put: Public Counter_I...

Sheet Protect
Hello, In Excel when I press the alt key and F11 I get the Visual Basic Window. I don't want the user to see all the coding behind the various sheets, forms, modules etc. How do I password protect this? I try sheet protect, but I can still see the Visual Basic Window. Thank you in advance. Cheers, In the VBIDE, Tools>Project Propertries>Protection, it is all there. It is not crack-proof, but it does offer some deterrent. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "CAM" <alex_martinez@comcast.net> wrote...

Exchange 5.5 in Windows 2000, Migrate or Create New...?
I have exisiting Exchange 5.5 Server on Windows NT and planning to move to new server with Windows 2000. Any suggestions on how to implement this situation? Is it better to create a new Exchange 5.5 directory on Windows 2000 instead of moving all mailbox from Winnt Server? I ready appreciate your help guys! Mark I think the easier method if you have new hardware is to install an additional server Exchange 5.5 into the same org/site on the new Windows 2000 server then move all the mailboxes over to the new server. Don't forget to move any public folders (replicate/wait for replicat...

Workflow -Assembly Call
How does add subtract in the Workflow>> assembly call works. I do understand that ypu can write your own custom workflows, register it and then call them from here, but I am pretty confused with the existing functionality. workflows can call other workflows workflows can also call a method in a .net assembly. ie you could write a piece of code in c# or vb.net and then have the workflow call your code. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "SAM" <SAM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE...

windows mail
have been trying to set up my live account on window mail and keep gettting this error message could u help me thisThe connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.live.com.au', Server: 'pop3.live.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E is the error message Not sure you need ".au" on the end of your server name. Live.com Settings: Server names and ports: POP3 = pop3.live.com Port = 995 SMTP = smtp.live.com Port = 587 Checkboxes you need to check include: Server Tab...

Async calls to WebService in MFC
Hey guys, I use a webservice over the net which is scripted in VB.Net. This web service receives a username and a password and returns a string structure with multiples infos. If the string is empty, I had the wrong username and/or password. Pretty simple isn't? Ok now the problem is a bit more complex. I'm using an MFC client to connect to these web services, and since they're on the internet, there's a delay between sending the data and receiving an answer. I don't know really how I can tell me client to "wait for the string". The wrapper MFC created for the w...

Help resizes window &%$#!
This problem is probably not excel specific: Is there a way to prevent help routines to resize the program window? When I start Excel-Help, the Excel window is reduced to half of the full size - even if the help window is larger than the other half of the screen. This causes a lot of swearing because I can't see anything in the worksheet because the window is too small and I can't see the help window because it is partly covered by the excel window. My fear is I have to live with it. Can somebody convince me otherwise? Thanks Oskar von dem Hagen ...

Invalid procedure call or argument?
Hello All This is a re-post of a problem I posted a while ago, but to which I got no suggestions: hopefully I'll be more lucky this time!? I have the following code in a Private Sub: If InStr([ResponseXML], "element") > 0 Then errorfield = "Invalid " & Mid([ResponseXML], InStr([ResponseXML], "element"), InStr(InStr(InStr([ResponseXML], "element"), [ResponseXML], "'") + 1, [ResponseXML], "'") - InStr([ResponseXML], "element") + 1) Else .... Most of the time this works fine, but for some...

Check Printing #7
I just switched over to wallet laser checks (3 per page) from laser voucher checks (one per page). I used the voucher checks for years without a problem, but due to the low volume of checks I print these days due to electronic payments, I decided to switch. I use a HP officejet 7130. I can print 3 checks per page fine, but I can't print remainder pages of two or single checks. I can't seem to get the settings correct no matter what I try. Any suggestions? You haven't said what you've tried or why it hasn't worked. With my printer, I feed the remaining partia...

Excel 2003 with Windows Seven printing issue
Hi, I have the following environment : Pc xwith Windows Seven Pro Office 2003 Std installed Canon Pixma MX700 When I try to print out a spreadsheet its not sent to the printer I get instead the 'Print to file' feature ... The settings are correct as also the option 'Print to file' is not checked. Any idea would be appreciated (especially a solution) ..!! P.S. : No problem with any other application (Word, Outlook, etc ..) ...

LoadLibrary fails for Windows XP SP3
Our MFC dialog based Installer application shows error loading =93newdev.dll=94 after Windows SP3 service pack is installed and also after update with IE8 and Security updates for windows. GetLastError() reveals error code 998 (ERROR_NOACCESS) As suggested in the thread from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q= 196069/ I tried to get the stack trace to trace the issue using =93user mode dump process and WinDbg=94. Since its windows system DLL I have limited clue to the issue. Please help. Further info 1. I tried loading the =93newdev.dll=94 from the small =93consol...

Where to call SetWindowPos
In my SDI, can I place the following in CMainFrame::OnCreate( )? Or is there a better place? // ensure window opens on top when called by other applications, esp. the installer SetWindowPos(&wndTopMost, 0, 0, 0, 0, SWP_NOMOVE | SWP_NOSIZE); Note that wndTopMost really means it is always on top and can never have another app come on top of it. So wndTopMost is often a poor choice. SetWindowPos would not be the best choice here; SetForegroundWindow would be better. joe On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 17:04:00 -0400, "SteveR" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote: >...

Unable to get DxgkDdiRecommendFunctionalVidPn call in windows 7
I am trying to add an initial vidpn topology by implementing the DxgkDdiRecommendFunctionalVidPn call in the WDDM miniport driver. But starting from windows 7 i am unable to get the DxgkDdiRecommendFunctionalVidPn function call from dxgkrnl.After searching through the MSDN documentation i found out that the function is deprecated starting from windows 7. msdn link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee220395.aspx According to msdn "On a computer running Windows 7, the display mode manager (DMM) determines an appropriate VidPN topology to apply using VidPN history d...