Where did Word and Works newsgroups go?

Anyway I believe this is a Windows XP problem dealing with MS Word 2000.
When I copy into Word 2000 from like IE6, Word will quit working with
the clipboard. Closing Word and reopening it will make it start working
once again.

About  a year ago, I was testing a number of XP systems and stopped
updating Windows. This worked so well on my test machines that I stopped
all of the rest of them. So nowadays I only get hotfixes that actually
fix a problem that I am having. Although this one computer I restored
from the Recovery CD just last week. And there are no new updates on it
since 2005 (well just KB909095). And I never seen this problem before.
Most likely because I always used updates in the past. So I am looking
for a hotfix that will fix this problem. Anybody have any ideas?

On Google  I have found some references to this problem showing up if
you have MS Works installed. This OEM version does have MS Works v8. I
don't use it, but I hate to delete it just in case. As the only way to
get it back is through the Recovery DVD once again.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

0
BillW50

BillW50 wrote:

> Anyway I believe this is a Windows XP problem dealing with MS Word 2000.

Stop using Microsoft's NNTP server.  Microsoft is scrambling away from
Usenet.  You'll need to use a non-Microsoft NNTP server to see the
microsoft.public.* groups that Microsoft hasn't already killed on their
NNTP server.

microsoft.public.word.*

Those newsgroups are still there.  Maybe not on Microsoft's NNTP server
but then Microsoft isn't Usenet.  Use a different NNTP server, like
Albasani, Eternal-September, individual.net, Giganews, etc.

> When I copy into Word 2000 from like IE6, Word will quit working with
> the clipboard. Closing Word and reopening it will make it start working
> once again.
>
> About  a year ago, I was testing a number of XP systems and stopped
> updating Windows. This worked so well on my test machines that I stopped
> all of the rest of them. So nowadays I only get hotfixes that actually
> fix a problem that I am having. Although this one computer I restored
> from the Recovery CD just last week. And there are no new updates on it
> since 2005 (well just KB909095). And I never seen this problem before.
> Most likely because I always used updates in the past. So I am looking
> for a hotfix that will fix this problem. Anybody have any ideas?

Save an image of the OS partition (which is probably also where you
installed the apps).  Do ALL the updates for however you have to spend
since there are many that you didn't deploy simply because they might
not have addressed a particular issue that you knew of at the time.
Make sure to do all Windows AND Office updates.  Then retest.  If that
doesn't fix the problem, well, you have the image to let you restore
your host back to its partially updated state.

Also uninstall any utilities that intercept the clipboard functionality
in Windows, like ClipMate or ClipMagic or the many other clipboard
managers available.  I don't remember back to Word 2000 if it had the
Office Clipboard feature at that time or it only relied on the Windows
clipboard.
0
VanguardLH
8/21/2010 8:17:29 PM
In news:i4pc8j$9n0$1@news.albasani.net,
VanguardLH typed on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:17:29 -0500:
> BillW50 wrote:
>
>> Anyway I believe this is a Windows XP problem dealing with MS Word
>> 2000.
>
> Stop using Microsoft's NNTP server.  Microsoft is scrambling away from
> Usenet.  You'll need to use a non-Microsoft NNTP server to see the
> microsoft.public.* groups that Microsoft hasn't already killed on
> their NNTP server.
>
> microsoft.public.word.*
>
> Those newsgroups are still there.  Maybe not on Microsoft's NNTP
> server but then Microsoft isn't Usenet.  Use a different NNTP server,
> like Albasani, Eternal-September, individual.net, Giganews, etc.

Oh okay I gotcha! I do use other newsgroup servers, but I haven't used
them for Microsoft newsgroups for many years. I guess it is time once
again. ;-)

>> When I copy into Word 2000 from like IE6, Word will quit working with
>> the clipboard. Closing Word and reopening it will make it start
>> working once again.
>>
>> About  a year ago, I was testing a number of XP systems and stopped
>> updating Windows. This worked so well on my test machines that I
>> stopped all of the rest of them. So nowadays I only get hotfixes
>> that actually fix a problem that I am having. Although this one
>> computer I restored from the Recovery CD just last week. And there
>> are no new updates on it since 2005 (well just KB909095). And I
>> never seen this problem before. Most likely because I always used
>> updates in the past. So I am looking for a hotfix that will fix this
>> problem. Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Save an image of the OS partition (which is probably also where you
> installed the apps).  Do ALL the updates for however you have to spend
> since there are many that you didn't deploy simply because they might
> not have addressed a particular issue that you knew of at the time.
> Make sure to do all Windows AND Office updates.  Then retest.  If that
> doesn't fix the problem, well, you have the image to let you restore
> your host back to its partially updated state.

I am actually running off a restored copy on a totally different drive
right now. I do this to test my backups and restores to make sure they
actually work. It is terrible if you don't do this and just make backups
for years and when disaster hits you later learn your backups are truly
worthless.

I have all updates for Office 2000 already which I forgot to mention in
my original post. I didn't run it without the updates for Office 2000 so
I don't know if the problem was there too before the updates.

Over the past 20 years I have been burned so many times by updates for
the OS system. So I really don't want any update that doesn't fix a
problem that I am having. And since I don't get viruses, I don't value
security updates either. And getting all hotfixes and security updates
really does bloat and slow down your OS. So I don't like any unnecessary
ones. Just the ones that actually fix something. ;-)

> Also uninstall any utilities that intercept the clipboard
> functionality in Windows, like ClipMate or ClipMagic or the many
> other clipboard managers available.  I don't remember back to Word
> 2000 if it had the Office Clipboard feature at that time or it only
> relied on the Windows clipboard.

Yes I also use Smart Type Assistant v1.5 which stores something like the
last 15 clips. And I also use PureText too (handy for pasting in plain
text only). But I disabled both of these and no change.

And yes Word 2000 does use the Office Clipboard feature. And I
personally don't like it since Smart Type Assistant is far better
anyway. And is there a trick to permanently disable the little bugger?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

0
BillW50
8/21/2010 9:03:30 PM
BillW50 wrote:

> Word 2000 does use the Office Clipboard feature. And I personally
> don't like it since Smart Type Assistant is far better anyway. And is
> there a trick to permanently disable the little bugger?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;207438

I don't like Office Clipboard, either, and instead prefer the ClipMate
clipboard manager that I bought.  However, I haven't yet had a conflict
between Office Clipboard and ClipMate.
0
VanguardLH
8/22/2010 12:13:40 AM
In news:i4pq33$70u$1@news.albasani.net,
VanguardLH typed on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:13:40 -0500:
> BillW50 wrote:
>
>> Word 2000 does use the Office Clipboard feature. And I personally
>> don't like it since Smart Type Assistant is far better anyway. And is
>> there a trick to permanently disable the little bugger?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;207438
>
> I don't like Office Clipboard, either, and instead prefer the ClipMate
> clipboard manager that I bought.  However, I haven't yet had a
> conflict between Office Clipboard and ClipMate.

Oh wow! That works very nicely. I made a reg file that should do the
same thing if somebody looks this up someday.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\General]
"AcbControl"=dword:00000001

I like Smart Type Assistant and PureText because I never found anything
that they ever conflict with. Plus Smart Type Assistant also has
AutoCorrect and AutoReplace just like Word does. Except it works in any
application. The reason why I was interested in turning off the Office
Clipboard is because I never use it anyway and it is just annoying.

Whoa! Guess what? Turning off MS Office 2000 clipboard seems to fix the
copy and paste problem too. Wow, killing two birds with one stone. Many
thanks VanguardLH.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

0
BillW50
8/22/2010 2:42:18 AM
cf. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

You will find support for MS Word in this forum now:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wordcreate/threads
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

BillW50 wrote:
> Anyway I believe this is a Windows XP problem dealing with MS Word 2000.
> When I copy into Word 2000 from like IE6, Word will quit working with
> the clipboard. Closing Word and reopening it will make it start working
> once again.
>
> About  a year ago, I was testing a number of XP systems and stopped
> updating Windows. This worked so well on my test machines that I stopped
> all of the rest of them. So nowadays I only get hotfixes that actually
> fix a problem that I am having. Although this one computer I restored
> from the Recovery CD just last week. And there are no new updates on it
> since 2005 (well just KB909095). And I never seen this problem before.
> Most likely because I always used updates in the past. So I am looking
> for a hotfix that will fix this problem. Anybody have any ideas?
>
> On Google  I have found some references to this problem showing up if
> you have MS Works installed. This OEM version does have MS Works v8. I
> don't use it, but I hate to delete it just in case. As the only way to
> get it back is through the Recovery DVD once again.

0
PA
8/22/2010 5:00:35 PM
In news:uOlZafWQLHA.2692@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> typed:

> Anyway I believe this is a Windows XP problem dealing with MS Word
> 2000. When I copy into Word 2000 from like IE6, Word will quit
> working with the clipboard. Closing Word and reopening it will make
> it start working once again.

http://openoffice.org will solve all those problems for you.

0
Greg
8/23/2010 5:11:21 PM

> http://openoffice.org will solve all those problems for you.

...and create a whole lot more.

0
Craven
8/23/2010 6:16:47 PM
In news:i4ue03$rq7$1@news.eternal-september.org,
Craven Moorehead <craven@cmoorehead.invalid> typed:

>> http://openoffice.org will solve all those problems for you.
>>
> ..and create a whole lot more.

Bullshit.

0
Greg
8/23/2010 9:15:10 PM
In news:i4v1l1$sbo$1@news.albasani.net,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> typed:

>>> ..and create a whole lot more.
>>
>> Bullshit.
>
> Guess you don't consider a steep learning curve to be a "problem" for
> new users of that software.

One strongly suspects that *anything whatsoever* constitutes a "steep
learning curve" for you. One could successfully bet that a
different-coloured toilet paper would completely defeat you regarding its
usage.

0
Greg
8/24/2010 12:02:45 AM
Greg Russell wrote:

> In news:i4v1l1$sbo$1@news.albasani.net,
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> typed:

>>> Bullshit.
>>
>> Guess you don't consider a steep learning curve to be a "problem" for
>> new users of that software.
>
> One strongly suspects that *anything whatsoever* constitutes a "steep
> learning curve" for you. One could successfully bet that a
> different-coloured toilet paper would completely defeat you regarding its
> usage.

Based on your response, you really think anyone is going to give your
opinion any consideration?  You just shot yourself in your own foot.
0
VanguardLH
8/24/2010 1:41:18 AM
Hoopleheaded loser alert.

"Greg Russell" <grussell@example.con> wrote in message
> In news:i4ue03$rq7$1@news.eternal-september.org,
> Craven Moorehead <craven@cmoorehead.invalid> typed:
>
>>> http://openoffice.org will solve all those problems for you.
>>>
>> ..and create a whole lot more.
>
> Bullshit.

0
Ben
8/24/2010 12:46:01 PM
In news:8dfoerF73mU1@mid.individual.net,
Greg Russell typed on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:11:21 -0700:
> In news:uOlZafWQLHA.2692@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
> BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> typed:
>
>> Anyway I believe this is a Windows XP problem dealing with MS Word
>> 2000. When I copy into Word 2000 from like IE6, Word will quit
>> working with the clipboard. Closing Word and reopening it will make
>> it start working once again.
>
> http://openoffice.org will solve all those problems for you.

I have and I have used OpenOffice and it is the most awkward office
program I have ever used in my life! It only sports two views for one.
Why so limited? And change to all upper or lower case is were you expect
them to be. But sentence case is totally buried in the Font Effects
menu. That is just brain-dead planning.

Sun used to charge money for OpenOffice (before they called it that) and
nobody would buy it. And I could see why nobody would buy it, because it
is such an awkward program to use. And I don't even find it handy for
plain text files either. To me, it is a very sad Office replacement and
barely usable at all.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

0
BillW50
8/24/2010 1:53:37 PM
In news:i4q2qc$7o8$1@news.eternal-september.org,
BillW50 typed on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 21:42:18 -0500:
> Whoa! Guess what? Turning off MS Office 2000 clipboard seems to fix
> the copy and paste problem too. Wow, killing two birds with one
> stone. Many thanks VanguardLH.

Oops! I can now confirm it is back again. As sometimes copy and paste
doesn't make it to the clipboard. I have all Office 2000 updates.
Although this time I avoided any Windows Updates and I decided I won't
get any hotfixes unless they include a problem that I am having.

I never seen this problem before. But I always used updates right away
after a recovery OEM install. So I believe there must be a hotfix out
there to address this problem.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

0
BillW50
8/24/2010 3:05:01 PM
BillW50 wrote:

> Greg Russell typed:
>
>> BillW50 typed:
>>
>>> Anyway I believe this is a Windows XP problem dealing with MS Word
>>> 2000. When I copy into Word 2000 from like IE6, Word will quit
>>> working with the clipboard. Closing Word and reopening it will make
>>> it start working once again.
>>
>> http://openoffice.org will solve all those problems for you.
>
> I have and I have used OpenOffice and it is the most awkward office
> program I have ever used in my life! It only sports two views for one.
> Why so limited? And change to all upper or lower case is were you expect
> them to be. But sentence case is totally buried in the Font Effects
> menu. That is just brain-dead planning.
>
> Sun used to charge money for OpenOffice (before they called it that) and
> nobody would buy it. And I could see why nobody would buy it, because it
> is such an awkward program to use. And I don't even find it handy for
> plain text files either. To me, it is a very sad Office replacement and
> barely usable at all.

Sun (now owned by Oracle - yuck) branched off OpenOffice from their
StarOffice product.  StarOffice is available separately and costs money
to include support.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staroffice and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openoffice.

OpenOffice is still a damn good deal considering it is free but it does
have too many deficiencies for anyone with MS Office to consider moving
to OO.  I had to ask OO newsgroups and forums on how to do many tasks
that had no equivalent in OO (or, like you, to find where a function was
hidden somewhere other than obvious).  I got help but the workarounds
were too damn cumbersome.  For someone that has MS Office, OO isn't a
good replacement.  For someone that doesn't have MS Office, and
especially doesn't use much of it, would find OO a free and workable
solution.  If you only use 10% of MS Office as do 90% of users then OO
works as a subsitute (not as a replacement) when the money forked out
for [a new buy of] MS Office is out of your own pocket and out of reach.

Typically I just wait while using a saved search on eBay until a legit
sale of an older version of MS Office is offered that is less than my
threshold price.  That's how I got MS Office 2003 Pro for $40 but I had
to wait several months during which I rejected many iffy auctions before
I got the deal.  I figure in about another 2 or 3 years that I'll be
saving a search of MS Office 2007 Pro when the 2010 version becomes more
prevalent and absolutely needed by those engrained to the newer-is-
better mantra of marketers and press.

For some idea of market share for OO, see:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Market_Share_Analysis

Free isn't necessarily the surmounting criteria in deciding on a
product.  Someone owning a $4700 Beretta 682 Gold E Skeet O/U
(http://tinyurl.com/23tzmhb) for competition skeet shooting isn't going
to toss it because someone comes along and gives them a $400 Mossberg
500 RoadBlocker (http://tinyurl.com/knsr9) for free.  But both work if
all you want is to knock some bottles off a fence at 5 yards.  If they
don't already have the Beretta and just as usable for home protection
then the Mossberg fits the bill and much more cheaply.  Free or cheap
has a lot of lure for many consumers.  It does for me, too, but there's
no reason for someone that already owns MS Office to waste their time
with OO on the same host.

OO isn't a bad choice.  It simply isn't an appropriate choice for
someone that already has MS Office.
0
VanguardLH

Printing WORD docs from a form

excel stopped working #2
loaded new antivirus software and now I cant open my excel files. I get a window stating "cant find file mso97.dll " I think new software quarantined it Can you open the files if you disable the AV software? On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:05:05 -0700, bathcrest <bathcrest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >loaded new antivirus software and now I cant open my excel files. I get a >window stating "cant find file mso97.dll " I think new software quarantined it What AV did you load? "bathcrest" <bathcrest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Account Tender for Work Order Deposits
The work order system needs to be able to use an account tender to pay for a deposit. The business need is a customer who has the ability to charge in RMS who wishes to start a work order. For example, a lighting store has a builder who they allow the charge. The builder sends their customers to the store to select their lighting needs. The builder will provide the store with an allowance for the customer to use for their lighting needs. This allowance is the deposit that need to be tendered using an account. Currently, I can not enter this deposit and pay for it by charging it to...

Exchange Only mail not going.
Server = 2003 Std Exchange = 2003 Std Clients using SMTP & POP to/from various ISP's, Exchange is the central archive for company. But will eventually be ONLY email. Email addressed via Exchange goes nowhere. Some sit in X400 queue, others just vanish. Email from Administrator account. (No SMTP to ISP, ONLY an Exchange account) just vanishes. Not on any queue, but Outlook claims it was sent. Email To Administrator From Administrator using X400 address vanishes Email To Administrator From Administrator using SMTP address vanishes. Email To working client From Administrator using X400 o...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Work Flow
Haloo Is it possible to prepare E-mail for the customer by using work flow? I don't want to sent e-mail just prepere it. Regards Mark P. Funnily enough....you can create a marketing campaign in crm 3.0 and add a email activity. When you deploy the emails to your contact list they will not be sent out. In your words they have been prepared for the customer. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3C15E5C-E60A-4764-BF39-1B1B649EC60C@microsoft.c...

Help: Render works in Dialog but not in View?
The following jpg shows in a dialog fdo: gpPicture->Render( fdo->GetDC()->GetSafeHdc(), 35, 10, 100, 100, 0, hmHeight, hmWidth, -hmHeight, &rc); but it won't show in the RecordView: gpPicture->Render(GetDC()->GetSafeHdc(), 35, 10, 100, 100, 0, hmHeight, hmWidth, -hmHeight, &rc); Can anybody tell me what I am missing? Thanks. Please disregard, it does work. Sorry. "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message news:uH4TbkIqDHA.2536@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > The following jpg shows in a dialog fdo: > > gpPicture->Render( fdo->G...

Encoded Word Documents

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Where are my saved word?

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

my e-mail dose not work in office 2007
i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on it nothing happens do i have to activate it "glo" <glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D3ED581-F3ED-4C6A-9048-893EC1F57761@microsoft.com... >i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on >it > nothing happens do i have to activate it And your email client is? -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level and the FULL contents of any error message(s) See if your mail p...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

Protection is working sparadically
Running into a strange deal with my Excel...I've protected and saved my sheet the protection seems to work for the most part as far as formatting is concerned - as I can't change any formatting. However, when I attempt to change data it won't let me for the first three or so cells I try and then it gives in and lets me change all of the data I want to yet not the formatting....any thought? The cells you can change are not locked. Sheet protection is a two-step process. First, using Format;cells;Protection tab, unlock all the cells that you want to be able to enter data i...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...

Auto calculating not working
For the first time in 20 years of using Excel, I am finding that auto calculation is not taking place whenever I add new entries to a range of cells included in, for example, the SUM function. I only get the correct results after invoking the function again. Even to calculate a fraction, the correct answer is not automatically updated if the numerator or denominator changes. Yesterday, I emailed the worksheet I was working on to my office neighbour's computer and I was able to edit the sheet and get the updated results automatically. Could there be something wrong with the...

microsoft word
is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks Debra Dalgleish has an example at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#CopyToWord It's a way of copying comments in a worksheet to a word document. But you can see the structure nicely. head wrote: > > is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...