What is the Outlook 2007 "PST" file called and how do I find it?

In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user
data by scanning for PST file type.  I've got a machine in which an
eval version was used and now expired.  I want to save the data for
the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off.

I can't find a PST file.

--
Al Dykes

adykes

> In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user
> data by scanning for PST file type.  I've got a machine in which an
> eval version was used and now expired.  I want to save the data for
> the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off.
>
> I can't find a PST file.
>

> --
> Al Dykes
> News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
> advertising.
>    - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

Nothing to do with Windows - I recommend you ask an MS Office newsgroup.

0
Pegasus
11/26/2009 8:52:43 AM
Al Dykes wrote:
> In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user
> data by scanning for PST file type.  I've got a machine in which an
> eval version was used and now expired.  I want to save the data for
> the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off.
>
> I can't find a PST file.

Look for a .ost file.  Default location is C:\Documents and
Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
0
TomV
11/26/2009 10:41:17 AM
On Nov 26, 9:44=A0am, ady...@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
> In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user
> data by scanning for PST file type. =A0I've got a machine in which an
> eval version was used and now expired. =A0I want to save the data for
> the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off. =A0
>
> I can't find a PST file. =A0
>
> --
> Al Dykes
> =A0News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advert=
ising.
> =A0 =A0 - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

Al, look here. Save link for later. :-)
http://whatis.techtarget.com/file-extension-list-A/0,289933,sid9,00.html
0
sandy58
11/26/2009 10:58:31 AM
"sandy58" <aleckie68@googlemail.com> wrote in message
On Nov 26, 9:44 am, ady...@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
> In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user
> data by scanning for PST file type. I've got a machine in which an
> eval version was used and now expired. I want to save the data for
> the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off.
>
> I can't find a PST file.
>
> --
> Al Dykes
> News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
> advertising.
> - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

Al, look here. Save link for later. :-)
http://whatis.techtarget.com/file-extension-list-A/0,289933,sid9,00.html
-------

Helpful as that link may be, it has nothing to do with the Al's question ;-)

SC Tom

0
SC
11/26/2009 12:19:03 PM
You have to search to include hidden for *.pst files
Uninstalling a Trial version has no impact on the Data file (pst) or the
outlook profile.

  a.. Make sure you include hidden and system files and folders when
searching for a pst-file
  b.. By default it is located in;
  C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
  For Windows Vista and Windows 7 the default is;
  C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\
  c.. You can also locate the file by using;
  Right click the root folder (probably Outlook Today)-> Properties-> button
Advanced-> field Filename
  d.. If you have multiple pst-files you can get an overview via;
  File-> Data File Management.

> In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user
> data by scanning for PST file type.  I've got a machine in which an
> eval version was used and now expired.  I want to save the data for
> the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off.
>
> I can't find a PST file.
>

> --
> Al Dykes
> News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
> advertising.
>    - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

0
DL
11/26/2009 1:41:31 PM
On Nov 26, 3:44=A0am, ady...@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
> In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user
> data by scanning for PST file type. =A0I've got a machine in which an
> eval version was used and now expired. =A0I want to save the data for
> the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off. =A0
>
> I can't find a PST file. =A0
>
> --
> Al Dykes
> =A0News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advert=
ising.
> =A0 =A0 - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

If you are searching for .pst files, be sure to include hidden files
and folders in your Advanced Search options.

Or, just look where Outlook is looking:

Click Tools, Options, Mail Setup, Data Files.
0
Jose
11/26/2009 3:45:59 PM
Hi Pegasus,

Your reply made me laugh. You're right though & I think the OP got a little
lost on the way to the Outlook newsgroup

--
SPAMCOP User

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>>

>> In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user
>> data by scanning for PST file type.  I've got a machine in which an
>> eval version was used and now expired.  I want to save the data for
>> the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off.
>>
>> I can't find a PST file.
>>

>> --
>> Al Dykes
>> News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
>> advertising.
>>    - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail
>>

> Nothing to do with Windows - I recommend you ask an MS Office newsgroup.

0
SPAMCOP
11/26/2009 7:08:20 PM
"SPAMCOP User" <spamcop_user@no_mail.haha> wrote in message
> Hi Pegasus,
>
> Your reply made me laugh. You're right though & I think the OP got a
> little lost on the way to the Outlook newsgroup
>
> --
> SPAMCOP User

Al Dykes is a frequent poster and I'm sure he knows how or where to find an
MS Office newsgroup.

0
Pegasus

outlook 2003 pst and outlook pst
I had a loaner machine which has outlook 2003. I saved the outlook inbox as a pst file. I tried to retrieve the pst file from my laptop that has an outlook 2002 and the versions are incompatiible. I no longer have the loaner machine and have no access to outlook 2003. How do access the pst files from outlook 2002? Thank you, Ramesh YOu don't as the file format for Outlook 2003 is incompatible with prior versions. Your best bet is to download the trial version of Office 2003 and open the .pst file in that Outlook. Then create a 97-2002 compatible .pst file from within Outloo...

Auto convert PST/POP to Exchange 2003 mailboxes?
We are about to convert our users from PST files (POP3) to Exchange 2003 mailboxes. As there are several hundred of users, this would be way too heavy to do them all manually one by one. Is there a tool to do this automatically (covert from PST/POP3 to Exchange 2003 mailboxes)? We will upgrade the users Office 2000/XP to Office 2003. TIA Linda On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:50:24 +0200, Linda Lindsez <spamblooocker@hotmail.com> wrote: >We are about to convert our users from PST files (POP3) to Exchange >2003 mailboxes. As there are several hundred of users, this would be >way to...

strange pst file
I have just updated Outlook 2000 to 2003 and have a problem that on face value is well documented but in practice does not solve my problem. I have the folders held in our exchange folder just fine. I have my pst file and folders just fine. I have my public folders just fine BUT I also have an extra folder which does not have a name. If I try to open it it says "The set of folders could not be opened. The requested information store could not be found in the active profile." If I right click on it I get the option to 'Close "<0#w25>"' but if I try this I get ...

Accessing the same PST file from multiple WinXP Pro IDs
I am running a Windows NT 4.0 network with workstations with Windows XP Pro. One user has Outlook 2000 on his notebook. He has a profile to log on to the machine itself (i.e. not on the Windows NT domain) for when he's "on the road" and one for logging on to the NT network domain to use the printers and network facilities. On my personal notebook I have Office XP and I was able to configure Outlook's data files (Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup -> Data Files) so that I would access the same PST file under both profiles. I cannot figure out how/if this is poss...

Cannot import Outlook.pst
I have backed up a Office 2002 Outlook.pst file on my PC file and then reformatted the PC. I have reinstalled Office 2002 and tried to import the backed up Outlook.pst file but get the error "The file Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file" Can anyone please help? Make sure the file isn't marked read-only. If it's on a CD, move it to your hard drive and remove the read-only attribute. Incidentally, it's better to simply re-use your original .PST file than to import from it. Click here for an article on how to move your Outlook data to a new Outlook 2002 machi...

Outlook PST Date--Use with Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003
I use Outlook 2000 on my Windows 98 Desktop and Outlook 2003 on my Windows XP Pro Laptop. I can sync my current Visor Neo using either PC and all is GOOD. Now, I am considering the purchase of a new handheld which will ne sync software and will be incompatible with Windows 98. There will not be a problem setting up the new handheld on the Win XP PC but I will not be able to sync with my old Handheld. Is there a way to keep my Outlook 2002 PST file updated with new data entered into Outlook 2003 without a sync (which won't be possible)? Thanks in advance, BL Take a look here, ...

outlook.pst copy problem
Hello all, I copied my outlook.pst file (150mb large) from my work computer to a CD ROM then tried to call it up in Outlook at home. This did not work. I tried everthing (e.g., importing the file, copying from the CD and putting it in my Windows folder, etc.). The main problem is that I know I need to copy it to my hard drive first so I can uncheck the "read only" aspect of the file, but every time I try to copy it to my hard drive it seems to copy the entire file, and then in the last 5 seconds I get an error message that states: "cannot copy outlook: invalid MS-...

Exported PST greater that 2GB appears to be corrupt
When moving office I used exmerge to export user mailboxes. One of them was over 2GB and now I cannot import it because it appears to be corrupt. Does anyone know of any way or reliable tools to resolve this please? Thanks, Andrew Use ScanPST.exe to look for errors. You may have to run it several times. You should also compact the PST as well or move some of the contents into a newer, smaller PST. Note that the PST size limit of 2 GB is for Outlook 2002 and older versions, Outlook 2003 and up use a different format that allows the PST to grow upwards of 20 GB. Older versions of Ou...

is outlook 2003 pst backward compatible with outlook 2000?
can you take a 2003 pst file, all i want is the addresses, and export it to another computer that has outlook 2000 on it? Mike Hollywood, you wrote on Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:33:08 -0500: > can you take a 2003 pst file, all i want is the addresses, > and export it to another computer that has outlook > 2000 on it? No! pst-files that has been created in Outlook 2003 can't be used in a previous version. You need to create a new pst-file File | New | Outlook Datafile in Outlook's old format (Personal Folder (.pst) for Outlook 97-2002). Then copy all addresses you need in th...

Mailbox size does not decrease after PST archive
I have a user that has recently archived his mail. A week later, he was hitting his mail cap from Exchange. This is an Exchange Server 2003 SP2 box. I always understood that if you used the archive function in Outlook, then it would reduce the Exchange mailbox size, but it is not happening in the case of this user. Not sure of the answer to this or what may be the cause, but I thought I would see if anyone else had the issue. Thanks. On 25 Jan 2007 14:01:21 -0800, tballfst@gmail.com wrote: >I have a user that has recently archived his mail. A week later, he >was hitting his mail...

PST files in Exchange server 2003
Hi , Can we store the user pst on the exchange server 2003 in a seperate partition.Would it affect performance. Thanks in advance PST files are client-only files. Exchange doesn't use them at all. Yes it would likely detriment performance drastically, especially if your users are trying to access PST files across the network. Why do you need PST files? You are much better off importing that information into the users's mailbox on the server, and then having everyone use Outlook to access the server instead of their PST files. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "vn" &l...

Restoring .pst file/s
My hard drive crashed so a technician at PC World installed a new one. I have regularly backed up my data on a clickfree automatic backup over the past year so was confident that I could restore my pictures, documents, Outlook 2007 e-mails and address book. I have managed to restore m picture and documents but don't know how to restore my e-mails and address book. I've looked at "Backup and Restore How To Outlook" on the Microsoft website but it doesn't help me. I have managed to get the .pst files onto my PC from clickfree but don't know how to tran...

Creating Outlook PST with script
Hi, We have to create Outlook PST files for our 150 users. But, It is so difficult to create these manually. Does anyone recommand a tool or script to create Outlook PST profiles in users' mailboxes. Thanks, regrads Koray Ersin On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:52:32 +0200, "Koray Ersin" <koray@NOSPAMkorayersin.com> wrote: >Hi, > >We have to create Outlook PST files for our 150 users. >But, It is so difficult to create these manually. It is? > >Does anyone recommand a tool or script to create Outlook PST profiles in >users' mailboxes. Use Group Po...

Non-Outlook access to old O2k .pst
I have about 670 mb of old messages in the Outlook 2000 .pst files on my 'old' pc. Cannot afford to license Outlook on my 'new' pc. I can/will put the O2k files on the 'new' pc, which runs Win7 HP-64 OEM. How can I access them there if/when I need to dig an old Email out? Any/all help/suggestions much appreciated. Puddin' "Law Without Equity Is No Law At All. It Is A Form Of Jungle Rule." "Puddin' Man" <puddingDOTman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:fd5j16dvhp8m2lps6q6dl3cjq3r8nt71kn@4ax.com... > > I have about 670 mb ...

Repair PST file in Outlook
Hi I have spent hours and hours to solve this problem: My PC broke down and I had to repair the outlook 2000 pst- file. Ewerything seemed to work just fine when repairinh. I was told that most messeges were repaired, Whe I imported the mail-folders it also seemed to be just fine BUT ALL IMPORTED FOLDERS WERE EMPTY. I did watch the import-proces and I'm sure that a lot of mails were im fact imported (names were shown). Also when a folder contained many mails it took quit some time to import. the "new" pst file were app. the same size before and after repair. I have followed...

Import of .pst files from one Outlook to another Outlook
I'm working in Outlook 2002 and my computer has been reinstalled (formated etc.). Now I want to import the old files from Outlook into the exact same Outlook (just reinstalled on a new partition). I can't do this. It's possible to import from Outlook Express and other programs but not form another Outlook! I have the files backed up from earlier. Personal Folders(1).pst Outlook.pst extend.dat archive.pst I can't believe it's not possible to import these files... Please help me. Morten Why are you trying to import a native Outlook file type? (BTW - you can only use ...

Unable to load Outlook 2000 .pst file
I have been using Outlook 2000 on a Windows XP system; recently I had to reinstall Windows and all my applications after a corrupt registry problem. I reinstalled Outlook 2000 from my CD and applied all the updates from the web. Then I tried to open my .pst file and I got the “not a personal folder file" error. I have checked that the read-only attribute is not on, and I have run scanpst which repairs the file but then when I load the repaired file into Outlook 2000, there are no records in the email folder. The file size is 630 MB, so it is not close to the 2 GB limit....

How to compare PST files?
I sync two laptops with my PSTs with Goodsync on OL2007. That detects differences at the file level. There USED to be a tool for comparing PSTs, but it has been withdrawn. When the two PSTs are different, and I have added to both of them, is there a tool that will find the differences? Mail items only. Thanks, Rick -- rickrcomm http://forums.slipstick.com I'm happy with Easy2Sync: http://www.easy2sync.de/en/produkte/e2s4o.php -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pu...

Help: MAPI can't find PSTPRX.DLL
Hi there Can anyone suggest how I can make outlook 2002 work properly. Everytime I press send/receive it says MAPI can not locate PSTPRX.DLL. I have done search and it is not on my computer. Please can anyone assist? just trying out 1st time >-----Original Message----- >Hi there > >Can anyone suggest how I can make outlook 2002 work >properly. Everytime I press send/receive it says MAPI can >not locate PSTPRX.DLL. I have done search and it is not >on my computer. Please can anyone assist? >. > See if this info helps: http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...

Outlook 2007 Pst repaire tool
Hi. I have started to use Office 2007. And I wounder where I can find Scanpst.exe file. Have looked into my computer, but can not find it. Thank you in advance. Dag N I think it's in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 directory "Dag N" <dag.naestvold@intertanko.com> wrote in message news:ONh7CIcGKHA.3948@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi. > I have started to use Office 2007. And I wounder where I can find > Scanpst.exe file. > Have looked into my computer, but can not find it. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/scanpst.htm -- Diane P...

AutoArchiving Password protected PST?
Running Outlook 2003 SP3, when attempting to auto-archiving password protected pst's I get an error that the version I'm using does not support auto-archiving password protected folders, and that I need to upgrade the software. Is there a work-around? do I really need to go to outlook 07-10? -- putertech http://forums.slipstick.com ...

I can't delete a pst folder-error message:an object could not be f
I exported a pst file and removed the e-mails that were exported I added the pst file later to find something I noticed an e-mail in the wrong folder and moved it to the correct location (not a good idea) now when I want to close the pst file I cannot - I get the error message "The operation failed. An object could not be found." I don't know which e-mail(s) I moved so I cannot move them back Is there any to delete the pst file? If you have any problems with pst file, you can try a tool called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can download a free demo version at http://w...

Outlook XP compatibility with 2003 PST files
Hi, Tried to import a .PST file from Office 2003 into Outlook XP, but got an error - file incompatible. I need to go back to Office XP. Is there a way, or utlily to let me import a 2003 .PST file into Outlook XP? Thanks, Rob Outlook 2003 defaults to using an Outlook 2003 PST file format. If you did not select in Outlook 2003 to use the Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (*.PST) format, then it may not be possible to import or recover any data from the PST file. In Outlook 2003 click Tools | E-mail Accounts | View or Change existing e-mail accounts, click New Outlook Data File and ...

On one PC only after reload of user profile cannot reload Outlook integration due to OutlookPstInstaller.dll not loading ...