Hi all,

I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
and so on).

Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?

Thanks for any advice.

a wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
> as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
> I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
> are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
> and so on).
>
> Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
> I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Copy the user profile to the new user.

To copy a user profile
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true

John
0
John
7/12/2010 1:46:35 PM
"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message news:%23KtFgicILHA.4596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> a wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
>> as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
>> I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
>> are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
>> and so on).
>>
>> Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
>> I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Copy the user profile to the new user.
>
> To copy a user profile
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
>
> John

No good, the "Copy To" button for the Administrator account is disabled,
so I can't perform Step 3 at the URL you quoted above. :(

"a" <b@invalid.com> wrote in message news:4c3b2643$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message news:%23KtFgicILHA.4596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>

>> a wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
>>> as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
>>> I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
>>> are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
>>> and so on).
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
>>> I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Copy the user profile to the new user.
>>
>> To copy a user profile
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
>>
>> John
>
> No good, the "Copy To" button for the Administrator account is disabled,
> so I can't perform Step 3 at the URL you quoted above. :(

Hang on, I bet it's because I haven't logged in as the Limited Account yet!
I'll be back in a moment... :)

"a" <b@invalid.com> wrote in message news:4c3b2643$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>>

>> a wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
>>> as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
>>> I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
>>> are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
>>> and so on).
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
>>> I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Copy the user profile to the new user.
>>
>> To copy a user profile
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
>>
>> John
>
> No good, the "Copy To" button for the Administrator account is disabled,
> so I can't perform Step 3 at the URL you quoted above. :(

You need to reboot the machine, then log on under some third admin account
in order to perform the copy action.

0
Pegasus
7/12/2010 2:31:22 PM
a wrote:

> John John ...
>
>> a wrote:
>>
>>> I usually run my PC as Administrator which I now know is dangerous,
>>> as it can let malware in and play with the system more easily. So
>>> I want to create a limited User account instead, but all my settings
>>> are under the Admin profile (eg. Quick Launch icons, file associations,
>>> and so on).
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to migrate these to the User account, so that when
>>> I log in as User, my desktop is the same, icons are the same, etc?
>>
>> Copy the user profile to the new user.
>>
>> To copy a user profile
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
>
> No good, the "Copy To" button for the Administrator account is disabled,
> so I can't perform Step 3 at the URL you quoted above. :(

You cannot copy the userprofile of the account on which you are logged.
That means you must not be logged on the userprofile you are copying
from or the userprofile that you are copying to.  You need to use a 3rd
"intermediary" account that does the copying.

You should have an alternate admin-level account, anyway, and NEVER use
the Administrator account (not even to install programs) except in
emergencies.  Create a second admin-level account and always use that
one for your admin tasks.  Use a 3rd account on which you login to copy
the source userprofile to the target userprofile.

However, for there to be a target userprofile means you must have logged
in at least once to that new account.  The userprofile doesn't get
generated until you login the first time.  After creating the limited
account, log onto it.  That creates its userprofile path and definition
in the registry.  Then logoff that limited account, log onto your
alternate (but now primary) admin-level account and copy your old admin
userprofile atop your *existing* limited userprofile.

By the way, what is important is that you run the vulnerable programs
(used as infection vectors into your host) under a LUA token.  The LUA
(limited user account) token reduces the privileges on the process to be
the same as if you had logged under a limited account and ran that
program.  The web browser is probably the highest targeted infection
vector into your host.  You can still logon under your admin-level
account but run the web browser under a LUA token to have all the same
safety that you get when running that web browser while logged on under
a limited account.  So you don't have to give up using your admin-level
account (which should still NOT be the Administrator account but a
different admin-level account) just to have the safety of limited
privileges on your web browser.  While there are 3rd party software that
lets you restrict a program to run under a LUA token, you can do that
using SRPs (software restriction policies) already provided in Windows
XP; however, it requires adding a "Basic" account under which to run a
program which is not defined by default in Windows XP.  If you want to
use your admin-level account but protect yourself by limiting the
privileges on your web browser, I can tell you how to do that using SRPs
already available in Windows XP.  Once you do it the first time, you'll
see how easily it is to do for other programs, like for other web
browsers that you install, a newsreader (NNTP client), or for your
e-mail program.  It is not required to log under a limited account to
limit the privileges allowed for a program.
0
VanguardLH
7/12/2010 4:04:23 PM
Thanks for your long answer (and to Pegasus, too!). :)

Okay, it's late here now so I will add a new admin account tomorrow
and try again. Hopefully it'll all work! Does it also mean that all
apps installed will have their Registry settings copied across, too?
Or is it literally just the basics like my "Documents and Settings"
folder? I was kind of hoping I could copy everything and just boot
up as Limited with all my apps still running, too. I fear not?

"a" <b@invalid.com> wrote in message news:4c3b4a0f@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Thanks for your long answer (and to Pegasus, too!). :)
>
> Okay, it's late here now so I will add a new admin account tomorrow
> and try again. Hopefully it'll all work! Does it also mean that all
> apps installed will have their Registry settings copied across, too?
> Or is it literally just the basics like my "Documents and Settings"
> folder? I was kind of hoping I could copy everything and just boot
> up as Limited with all my apps still running, too. I fear not?

Copying a profile is equivalent to cloning an account.
0
Pegasus
7/12/2010 5:24:20 PM
a wrote:

> Thanks for your long answer (and to Pegasus, too!). :)
>
> Okay, it's late here now so I will add a new admin account tomorrow
> and try again. Hopefully it'll all work! Does it also mean that all
> apps installed will have their Registry settings copied across, too?
> Or is it literally just the basics like my "Documents and Settings"
> folder? I was kind of hoping I could copy everything and just boot
> up as Limited with all my apps still running, too. I fear not?

Did you install the app(s) for all users?  Or just for your own account?
0
VanguardLH
7/13/2010 5:57:15 AM
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote

>> Okay, it's late here now so I will add a new admin account tomorrow
>> and try again. Hopefully it'll all work! Does it also mean that all
>> apps installed will have their Registry settings copied across, too?
>> Or is it literally just the basics like my "Documents and Settings"
>> folder? I was kind of hoping I could copy everything and just boot
>> up as Limited with all my apps still running, too. I fear not?
>
> Copying a profile is equivalent to cloning an account.

Good to know!

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote

>> Okay, it's late here now so I will add a new admin account tomorrow
>> and try again. Hopefully it'll all work! Does it also mean that all
>> apps installed will have their Registry settings copied across, too?
>> Or is it literally just the basics like my "Documents and Settings"
>> folder? I was kind of hoping I could copy everything and just boot
>> up as Limited with all my apps still running, too. I fear not?
>
> Did you install the app(s) for all users?  Or just for your own account?

Can't remember now, but I think they were for all. A good point to remember
for future installs, too! :)

Anyway, I tried to copy the Administrator account to the Limited account by
using a second temp Admin account, but it failed. Here's a screenshot of the
error, which is to do with "failing to set security on the dest profile":

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/361/profileerror.png

I tried the copy in Safe Mode, but it also fails in normal boot mode. I really
don't know what to do next, except try the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"?

Also, I found this web page...

http://www.techiehq.net/system-security-and-infection-support/convert-admin-account-limited-account-4612.html

(shortened URL = http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vp8d2h )

....where the second tip says "What you can do is change your 'everday' account
to the admin setting then switch your admin acount to limited (in that order)".

How would I do that? I see no option that converts an Admin account to Limited.

"a" <b@invalid.com> wrote in message news:4c3c680c$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote
>
>>> Okay, it's late here now so I will add a new admin account tomorrow
>>> and try again. Hopefully it'll all work! Does it also mean that all
>>> apps installed will have their Registry settings copied across, too?
>>> Or is it literally just the basics like my "Documents and Settings"
>>> folder? I was kind of hoping I could copy everything and just boot
>>> up as Limited with all my apps still running, too. I fear not?
>>
>> Did you install the app(s) for all users?  Or just for your own account?
>
> Can't remember now, but I think they were for all. A good point to
> remember
> for future installs, too! :)
>
> Anyway, I tried to copy the Administrator account to the Limited account
> by
> using a second temp Admin account, but it failed. Here's a screenshot of
> the
> error, which is to do with "failing to set security on the dest profile":
>
> http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/361/profileerror.png

<snip>

This could happen if the account you use when copying the profile does not
have administrative privileges. You can probably resolve the issue like so:
1. Log on under an admin account.
2. Seize ownership of the "User" profile folder.
3. Set the permissions for the "User" profile folder to "Full access" for
"Everyone".
4. Repeat the "copy" process.

0
Pegasus
7/13/2010 3:34:47 PM
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote

>> Anyway, I tried to copy the Administrator account to the Limited account by
>> using a second temp Admin account, but it failed. Here's a screenshot of the
>> error, which is to do with "failing to set security on the dest profile":
>>
>> http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/361/profileerror.png
>>
> <snip>
>
> This could happen if the account you use when copying the profile does not have administrative privileges. You can probably
> resolve the issue like so:
> 1. Log on under an admin account.
> 2. Seize ownership of the "User" profile folder.
> 3. Set the permissions for the "User" profile folder to "Full access" for "Everyone".
> 4. Repeat the "copy" process.

I was logged in as TempAdmin, which, as you can tell, was an Admin account.
But, can you please confirm for me that I was trying to copy the Admin
profile to the new correct folder, ie. "..\Documents and Settings\User" ?
Because I had to browse for a folder and wasn't sure if that was right?
Once you confirm, I'll try your steps above again.

"a" <b@invalid.com> wrote in message news:4c3db04d@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote
>
>>> Anyway, I tried to copy the Administrator account to the Limited account
>>> by
>>> using a second temp Admin account, but it failed. Here's a screenshot of
>>> the
>>> error, which is to do with "failing to set security on the dest
>>> profile":
>>>
>>> http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/361/profileerror.png
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> This could happen if the account you use when copying the profile does
>> not have administrative privileges. You can probably resolve the issue
>> like so:
>> 1. Log on under an admin account.
>> 2. Seize ownership of the "User" profile folder.
>> 3. Set the permissions for the "User" profile folder to "Full access" for
>> "Everyone".
>> 4. Repeat the "copy" process.
>
> I was logged in as TempAdmin, which, as you can tell, was an Admin
> account.
> But, can you please confirm for me that I was trying to copy the Admin
> profile to the new correct folder, ie. "..\Documents and Settings\User" ?
> Because I had to browse for a folder and wasn't sure if that was right?
> Once you confirm, I'll try your steps above again.

There is no need to guess what the correct name of the profile folder is.
You can find out for sure like so:
1. Log on as User.
2. Start a Command Prompt.
3. Type this command:
    set  userprofile

0
Pegasus
7/14/2010 3:25:27 PM
a formulated on Wednesday :
> I was logged in as TempAdmin, which, as you can tell, was an Admin account.
> But, can you please confirm for me that I was trying to copy the Admin
> profile to the new correct folder, ie. "..\Documents and Settings\User" ?
> Because I had to browse for a folder and wasn't sure if that was right?
> Once you confirm, I'll try your steps above again.

3. Type this command:
    set  userprofile

set  userprofile is a typo I think. Probably should be net userprofile.

More info here.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5031577.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251394
http://ss64.com/nt/

Johnw
7/14/2010 11:42:41 PM
On 7/14/2010 8:42 PM, Johnw wrote:
> a formulated on Wednesday :
>> I was logged in as TempAdmin, which, as you can tell, was an Admin
>> account.
>> But, can you please confirm for me that I was trying to copy the Admin
>> profile to the new correct folder, ie. "..\Documents and Settings\User" ?
>> Because I had to browse for a folder and wasn't sure if that was right?
>> Once you confirm, I'll try your steps above again.
>
> 3. Type this command:
> set userprofile
>
> set userprofile is a typo I think. Probably should be net userprofile.

You certainly didn't try that before you posted...

John
0
John
7/15/2010 12:25:25 AM
on 15/07/2010, John John - MVP supposed :
> On 7/14/2010 8:42 PM, Johnw wrote:
>> a formulated on Wednesday :
>>> I was logged in as TempAdmin, which, as you can tell, was an Admin
>>> account.
>>> But, can you please confirm for me that I was trying to copy the Admin
>>> profile to the new correct folder, ie. "..\Documents and Settings\User" ?
>>> Because I had to browse for a folder and wasn't sure if that was right?
>>> Once you confirm, I'll try your steps above again.
>>
>> 3. Type this command:
>> set userprofile
>>
>> set userprofile is a typo I think. Probably should be net userprofile.
>
> You certainly didn't try that before you posted...

Correct, but I googled set userprofile & could'nt find a thing.

Got me wondering now.

Johnw
7/15/2010 12:42:12 AM

"Johnw" <johnmattmel@gmail.com> wrote in message
> on 15/07/2010, John John - MVP supposed :
>> On 7/14/2010 8:42 PM, Johnw wrote:
>>> a formulated on Wednesday :
>>>
>>> 3. Type this command:
>>> set userprofile
>>>
>>> set userprofile is a typo I think. Probably should be net userprofile.
>>
>> You certainly didn't try that before you posted...
>
> Correct, but I googled set userprofile & could'nt find a thing.
>
> Got me wondering now.

%UserProfile% is one of the many environmental variables. The command

set UserProfile

will give you its current value. On the other hand, your proposed command
"net userprofile" will fail.

0
Pegasus
7/15/2010 5:55:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies, but I've had no success after all.

I did everything that I could (logged in as a new Admin in Safe
Mode, took ownership of the old Admin's profile, and was even
able to copy it over). But logging in under the Limited account
was just like a new account, with no Quick Launch icons or fave
settings carried over. It was such an ordeal that I'm over it.

What I will do instead is a clean re-install of XP this weekend
and set up the Limited "User" account from scratch this time!

Workflow Logical Users
In MS CRM 3.0 there are total 5 logical users we can choose from when creating workflow email task for the Sales Order. [account/contact] [account] [contact] [owner's manager] [owner] Can someone define what/where each of this information is fetched from? For example, I belive Owner comes from the owner of the order. What the other fields come from? Please help. Thanks.. ...

Changing mode to IMO; Unable to Open Outlook
My computer got a virus. After saving my data, I cleaned the C: drive and reinstalled windows and Office2000 Duuring installation of Office inadvertantly hit corporate mode rather than IMO mode. Now I cannot get back to IMO and recover my personal folders with all my data. In fact I can't seem to get anywhere. I tried: a) Uninstalling Office and reinstalling. Nope. b) Uninstalling Outlook and reinstalling. Nope. Currently, when trying to run Outlook, I get, "Unable to open your email folders. Outlook could not start because a location to send and receive ema...

Outlook with multiple users
New Outlook user. Trying to set up with multiple users and having each users emails private and secure. Cannot find how to set this up. Need step by step set up of this if it can be done. Please indicate the version of outlook you are using. Will these users be logging into the computer using their own credentials or Do they all share one user account? "Barry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b8401c49cf5$595eeb90$a301280a@phx.gbl... > New Outlook user. Trying to set up with multiple users > and having each users emails private and s...

Macro and user created button Question?
Hello all. I wanted to ask about macros and buttons. By that I mean, I'm creating a spread sheet that I want a user to click on button I created on the spreadsheet, and trigger the macro. Does anyone know how this can be done? Thanks! Create your macro. On the worksheet, drag a button from the Forms toolbar onto the sheet. You will be asked which macro to assign it to. Choose your new macro. Done! -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "R Guzman" <ralphguzman@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:5ByBe.10402$aY6.6366@newsread1...

Change Query Object's Criteria via code
Let me try again: TIA very much: Is it possible to change and existing Query Object's criteria via VB code?? If so how might it be done? Thanks again, Joel ...

Date format change when using Series() function
I’m using the Series() function with graphs, and the name ranges within the graphs seem to work, however, the X axis date range now goes weird on me. The named range for my X axis looked fine before, but when I put the name range in the Series, the dates are now all wrong (1/1/1900, 2/1/1900, etc). Any thoughts? Thank you. ...

how to add a user to outlook.
We have a couple of new employees, and I have been given the task of setting them up on the e-mail system, etc. I have no clue how to do this. I did manage to get the names in for email, but they cannot access other calendars in public folders, and it keeps saying they are not recognized names. So, how DO you set up a new user for e-mail, etc.? Thanks for any help! ...

permission to add user to a certain store only
I would like to enable remote OU admins to be able to mail enable users, but only allow them to put their users on the store hosting that site. I have looked in the security tab in the store properties and I am not sure which permissions need to be checked. I want to say 'Administer Information store' would work, but I don't know if that will give them rights to delete that store. We have a very wide spread network and I only want them to add users to the store. Right now, we have them adding users to their OU and then send in a helpdesk ticket to mail enable that user! ...

Do not want to synchronize CRM Contacts to Outlook Contacts
We do not want to synchronize CRM Contacts to Outlook when we go offline in the SFO client. We DO want to synchronize CRM Appointments so the Fast Sync is not an option. All the contacts were entered by the same user who has shared the contacts with everyone in the business unit. Is there any way to prevent synchronization of contacts to Outlook? Lynn you can only control what gets synched by using crm security roles. Basically if your users can see contacts in the crm web interface they will get synced to outlook. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/...

Formatting changes in message replies.
I know I ought to know the answer to this but... My OE is set to Ariel for both composing and reading messages, and not to reply in the same format they are received. Yet I send a message to a friend who is using Outlook (I'm not v familiar with Outlook settings), which he says is set to Ariel, and when he replies, his part is in Ariel, but mine has been converted to Times. Which, if that is how it appears to others, he might send my stuff to, makes me look even more quaint and old fashioned than I really am! How might I tell him to correct this, or is there some way my...

GP 10Cost Change History Report
Hello, Has anyone experienced data issues with the Cost Change History report within GP 10? We have experienced an issue where an item number "Previous Cost" seems to be inherited from the previous item number "Updated Cost". Example: Item Number Previous Cost Updated Cost ABC $5.00 $10.00 XYZ $10.00 $90.00 The issues we see are this extreme, $10.00 to $90.00. We know the cost of XYZ has never been set to $10.00. These date issues can be seen throughout the report. We have also s...

This transaction is being edited by another user ?!
Hello, Everyone: My company is using Great Plains 7.5 for several months. Recently I just found out one invoice can not be edited. When I tried to open it, one message box just poped up; it said "This transaction is being edited by another user". But only myself logged in at that time. So, if anyone knows how to correct this error, please let me know. Thanks in advance. Zach If everyone is logged out, run the following in sql: USE DYNAMICS DELETE SY00800 GO USE tempdb DELETE DEX_LOCK GO DELETE DEX_SESSION GO "Zach" wrote: > Hello, Everyone: > M...

Excel 2003 Find and Replace is changed to previovois ver.-awful!!
Well, the 2003 version of Excel has several changes compared to E2000 and older. As an example the find and replace function now has as default the active box "replace with", while earlier had "Find what". For no good reason one has to re learn. And this is just one change. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft We...

Unable to login as any users with the exception of "SA"(Enterprise
Hello, I cannot login as any users accept with the exception of "sa". We just installed GP 7.0 enterprise on a windows 2003 server and everything appears to be running fine. As the SA login, Im accessing all the normal GL, AP, Purchasing screens fine. I created multiplie users within GP and that worked fine as well. When I sucessfully installed the client on client PCs, I do not see the GP server under anything except for SA. I can ping it fine but cannot see the servers under any login. Please help!?! Thank you in advance. David ...

multipe users, sees all emails
I have a Windows 98 computer with Outlook 2000 running and I have three different users setup on that computer under control panel-users. But when one receives a message, they all can see it. Example (user #1 is logged in, gets a mail message, he goes to lunch, user #2 logs user #1 out and logs user #2 in and checks his mail, he sees user #1 message) Why is this? please help. Thanks. Candy <Candy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a Windows 98 computer with Outlook 2000 running and I have > three different users setup on that computer under control > panel-us...

how do i change the amount of recent documents on my file menu?
Please could anyone email me on da_snogaholic@hotmail.com with the answer! Hi see your other post "Kay c" wrote: > Please could anyone email me on da_snogaholic@hotmail.com with the answer! ...

Changing the font of a PropertyPage
Hallo, Can anybody tell me how I can change the font of a PropertyPage within a PropertySheet. I have tried to change the font in the resource editor, nothing happened. I have changed all possible element of the operating systems desktop, nothing happened. What is the way ?? Thank for any useful hint. "jackson" <j.riedel@meditec.zeiss.com> wrote in message news:4270ddb1$0$307$4d4ebb8e@read-nat.news.de.uu.net... > Hallo, > Can anybody tell me how I can change the font of a PropertyPage within a > PropertySheet. > I have tried to change the font in the resource ed...

CFO want me RMS Certified to support our growing operation
My company has been growing 20% each year and my CFO want me to get certified like our System Admin as with MCSA. Why can't customer get RMS Certified? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/...

change default table style
Hello, Is it possible to change the default table style in Excel 2007 in general and not only for the workbook you are working in? I want to use a certain table style for all my tables and now I have to change the style everytime. Best regards On a blank sheet in a new file, right click the table style required and set it to be the Default Save this file a BOOK.XLT in the XLSTART folder See also http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA102045501033.aspx best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Syl" <syldev@gmail.co...

How to change background color of dialog boxes at touch of a button
How can I change the background color of my dialog boxes (main dialog box & pop-up dialog boxes) of my MFC application program? I would like to change the background color according to the selection of radio buttons. Thanks in advance for help. Handle OnCtlColor(or WM_CTLCOLOR) in your dialog class. If you want to change it for all the dialogs of your app, take a look at CWinApp::SetDialogBkColor (This function is obsolete in MFC7 on though, should work for MFC42). Regardless, look at codeguru/codeproject for sample code first. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com &quo...

Change lookups so that by default they don't show inactive record.
When doing any lookup in Great Plains it defaults with all master records. Would like by default only active records to show up. Hi Catherine, SmartFill from Rockton Software can do this. Thanks, Therese "Catherine McDade" wrote: > When doing any lookup in Great Plains it defaults with all master records. > Would like by default only active records to show up. ...

How do I have multiple emails for a user in E2K
Hi, Some of our users have multiple emails and we'd like to display them in the GAL. These emails are typically external SMTP email accounts i.e. their Yahoo, Hotmail emails, etc. What is the "right" way to have their emails in the system? In the past some admins created Contacts for them. Another admin put them under "Email Addresses" tab in E2K. I want to learn the right way. I'd appreciate your responses. -- Thanks, Sam You will have to create Contacts for your external accounts. See, http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/User-Groups-Distribution-List-C...

Changing the default form size
We have a client that has customised Contacts and included additonal fields on the Contact form. The form now opens with a scroll bar down the right. They would like to increase the size of the form when it opens so that all fields are visible without having to resize the form or scroll down. I understand it is not possibe to alter the default size of the Contact's form? If this is not true, please advise how. If it is true, we suggest it would be a useful enhancement. Regards Graeme ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestion...

Changing cell from formula to data.
Is there a way to change a cell from a formula (that is returning data) to the data it is returning. I realy hop it it becuse it would help out a ton. -- Thanks TimM If you select the cell and copy then edit - pastes special - values on the cell you will have the value and not the formula. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "TimM" wrote: > Is there a way to change a cell from a formula (that is returning data) to > the data it is returning. I realy hop it it becuse it would help out a ton. > > > -- > Thanks > TimM Hi, Select the cell(s) contain...

How do I change case from lower to proper in a range of cells?
I need to change case from Lower to UPPER for a range of cells. Any pointers on this will be appreciated. Ajayjeet, you could use the upper functon like this, with data in column A in B1 put =UPPER(A1) and copy down, then copy and paste special over your data, or with a macro, select your data then run this code Sub Make_CAPS() Dim cel As Range For Each cel In Intersect(Selection, _ ActiveSheet.UsedRange) cel.Formula = UCase$(cel.Formula) Next End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedb...