Using wide and regular format monitors

Hello All

 My job just gave me new Lenovo T400 laptop running XP. (No Windows 7 yet
for us)

It has a 14 inch wide format screen. I'm attaching the computer to a
traditional 20 inch screen. The wide display on the laptop 1280 x 800 is
squished and off the screen on the traditional montior. When I open display
properties, it shows both montiors as Monitor 1.

I'd like to have the traditional monitor work property without having to
resize the display resolution every time I connect to it. (I do NOT want to
use one monitor as an extension of my desktop). Is there a way to have two
different reoltuiosn - one to accommodate the laptop display and the other
my traditional 20-inch display? If I try to activate monitor 2 in the
display settings or even drag, it wants to extend my desktop. What, if
anything, am I missing here?

Thanks for any help.

Anthony Giorgianni

0
Anthony

"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepost@backto.group> wrote in

> Hello All
>
>  My job just gave me new Lenovo T400 laptop running XP. (No
>  Windows 7 yet
> for us)
>
> It has a 14 inch wide format screen. I'm attaching the
> computer to a traditional 20 inch screen. The wide display
> on the laptop 1280 x 800 is squished and off the screen on

Go to the control panel or right-click on the desktop and go to
graphics properties. There will be a bunch of options depending
on your chip. Set it up the way you want for the laptop screen
and save it as a "scheme" (or whatever your software calls it).
Then connect the big monitor, set it up for THAT, and save it as
another "scheme". Then they will be easily accessible by right-
clicking the desktop and choosing the one you want.

Remember about refresh rates etc!

--
The arrows are faster than rodents!
- t.

I can change to a large size on Monitor 2, but there's no way to assign that
to the big monitor unless I extend my desktop to that one, which i don't
want to. Very odd.

Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group

"thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
> "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepost@backto.group> wrote in
>
>> Hello All
>>
>>  My job just gave me new Lenovo T400 laptop running XP. (No
>>  Windows 7 yet
>> for us)
>>
>> It has a 14 inch wide format screen. I'm attaching the
>> computer to a traditional 20 inch screen. The wide display
>> on the laptop 1280 x 800 is squished and off the screen on
>
> Go to the control panel or right-click on the desktop and go to
> graphics properties. There will be a bunch of options depending
> on your chip. Set it up the way you want for the laptop screen
> and save it as a "scheme" (or whatever your software calls it).
> Then connect the big monitor, set it up for THAT, and save it as
> another "scheme". Then they will be easily accessible by right-
> clicking the desktop and choosing the one you want.
>
> Remember about refresh rates etc!
>

> --
> The arrows are faster than rodents!
> - t.

0
Anthony
2/5/2010 5:12:03 AM
I'm guessing that you have your advanced monitor settings "Hide modes that
this monitor cannot display" setting checked.  By unchecking this, I get a
multitude of screen resolution options up to double my monitor's actual
width and height.  I don't know if this is unique to my ATI Radeon XPress
200M laptop driver, so your mileage may vary.

-Paul Randall

"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepost@backto.group> wrote in message
> Thanks for advice. Unfortunately, the highest selection I can get is the
> laptop max at 1280 x 800. There's a tab for the monitor when it's
> connected,
> but no option to change the resolution (which is 1280x1024) . The
> resolution
> option only appears on the laptop tab.
>
> I can change to a large size on Monitor 2, but there's no way to assign
> that
> to the big monitor unless I extend my desktop to that one, which i don't
> want to. Very odd.
>
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group
>

> "thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepost@backto.group> wrote in
>>
>>> Hello All
>>>
>>>  My job just gave me new Lenovo T400 laptop running XP. (No
>>>  Windows 7 yet
>>> for us)
>>>
>>> It has a 14 inch wide format screen. I'm attaching the
>>> computer to a traditional 20 inch screen. The wide display
>>> on the laptop 1280 x 800 is squished and off the screen on
>>
>> Go to the control panel or right-click on the desktop and go to
>> graphics properties. There will be a bunch of options depending
>> on your chip. Set it up the way you want for the laptop screen
>> and save it as a "scheme" (or whatever your software calls it).
>> Then connect the big monitor, set it up for THAT, and save it as
>> another "scheme". Then they will be easily accessible by right-
>> clicking the desktop and choosing the one you want.
>>
>> Remember about refresh rates etc!
>>

>> --
>> The arrows are faster than rodents!
>> - t.

0
Paul
2/5/2010 2:20:05 PM
Thansk Pual. that did enable mroe setting. But ti turned out the problem was
I didn't turn off the laptop monitor - but I instead had both on, was was
causing me to a limited selection.

However, things still go off the page if I set my 20" monitor any higher
than 1024X768 (actually I can go two stops higher, but the aspect ratio
screws up. It's a mess if I go anywhere near the 1280 X 1024 native
resolution.  So now I'm work with a fairly giant screen, and every time I
switch to the 20" monitor, I get a warning that 1024x768 is not optimal. But
I just can't go any higher without losing icons, parts of toollbars, etc.

Thanks.

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
> I'm guessing that you have your advanced monitor settings "Hide modes that
> this monitor cannot display" setting checked.  By unchecking this, I get a
> multitude of screen resolution options up to double my monitor's actual
> width and height.  I don't know if this is unique to my ATI Radeon XPress
> 200M laptop driver, so your mileage may vary.
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepost@backto.group> wrote in message
>> Thanks for advice. Unfortunately, the highest selection I can get is the
>> laptop max at 1280 x 800. There's a tab for the monitor when it's
>> connected,
>> but no option to change the resolution (which is 1280x1024) . The
>> resolution
>> option only appears on the laptop tab.
>>
>> I can change to a large size on Monitor 2, but there's no way to assign
>> that
>> to the big monitor unless I extend my desktop to that one, which i don't
>> want to. Very odd.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anthony Giorgianni
>>
>> For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group
>>

>> "thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepost@backto.group> wrote in

>>> Go to the control panel or right-click on the desktop and go to
>>> graphics properties. There will be a bunch of options depending
>>> on your chip. Set it up the way you want for the laptop screen
>>> and save it as a "scheme" (or whatever your software calls it).
>>> Then connect the big monitor, set it up for THAT, and save it as
>>> another "scheme". Then they will be easily accessible by right-
>>> clicking the desktop and choosing the one you want.
>>>
>>> Remember about refresh rates etc!
>>>

>>> --
>>> The arrows are faster than rodents!
>>> - t.

0
Anthony
2/5/2010 5:34:30 PM
Thanks everybody. The solution was nothing more than setting 1290x1024 on
the extermal montior and pressing the auto refresh botton!!!! That last
thing was the missing part!

> Thansk Pual. that did enable mroe setting. But ti turned out the problem
> was
> I didn't turn off the laptop monitor - but I instead had both on, was was
> causing me to a limited selection.
>
> However, things still go off the page if I set my 20" monitor any higher
> than 1024X768 (actually I can go two stops higher, but the aspect ratio
> screws up. It's a mess if I go anywhere near the 1280 X 1024 native
> resolution.  So now I'm work with a fairly giant screen, and every time I
> switch to the 20" monitor, I get a warning that 1024x768 is not optimal.
> But
> I just can't go any higher without losing icons, parts of toollbars, etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group
>

> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> I'm guessing that you have your advanced monitor settings "Hide modes
>> that
>> this monitor cannot display" setting checked.  By unchecking this, I get
>> multitude of screen resolution options up to double my monitor's actual
>> width and height.  I don't know if this is unique to my ATI Radeon XPress
>> 200M laptop driver, so your mileage may vary.
>>
>> -Paul Randall
>>
>> "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepost@backto.group> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for advice. Unfortunately, the highest selection I can get is the
>>> laptop max at 1280 x 800. There's a tab for the monitor when it's
>>> connected,
>>> but no option to change the resolution (which is 1280x1024) . The
>>> resolution
>>> option only appears on the laptop tab.
>>>
>>> I can change to a large size on Monitor 2, but there's no way to assign
>>> that
>>> to the big monitor unless I extend my desktop to that one, which i don't
>>> want to. Very odd.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Anthony Giorgianni
>>>
>>> For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group
>>>

>>> "thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message

0
Anthony

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Conditional Formating #18
Dear all, I would like to apply a conditional formating to fill with a red colour some Excel cells when the computer calendar gets some date, I would like to fill that cells when "best before date" of some pruducts gets that date with the computer calendar. Thanks a lot. Pedro Mestre One way: If cell A1 is active: CF1: Formula is =TODAY()>=A1 Format1: Patterns/red In article <13BD3AC5-9DFE-4C53-BA91-440BC506B82E@microsoft.com>, Pedro Mestre <PedroMestre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I would like to apply a condition...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

Conditional Formatting #65
I have a date cell that I need to apply conditional formatting to when the date is now one year later. Example: A4 contains the date 1/1/2007 and today's date is in cell F2 with the formula [TODAY()]. If cell A4 is one year in the past I'd like the font to change so I'll know that date is older than one year from today's date. Thanks for any help! Trish On Apr 10, 9:43=A0am, Trish <trish....@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a date cell that I need to apply conditional formatting to when > the date is now one year later. > > Example: A4 contains the date 1/1/2007 ...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...

use the @ sign
i have one cell a1 that has this in it Tuesday, November 06, 2007 ii the next b1 i would like to put @7:30pm but i keep getting error @ is the way Lotus indicated a function. You can enter @SUM(A10:A100) in a cell and XL will convert it to =SUM(A10:A100) To start your cell with @, prefix it with an apostrophe - the apostrophe indicates Text, and won't be displayed. In article <88862DC0-DDEB-4245-B2BD-D2102B577B49@microsoft.com>, joen <joen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i have one cell a1 that has this in it > Tuesday, November 06, 2007 > ii the...

page format lost with 2007
We upgraded to Office 2007 at my company just this past week. I was frustrated to find that the format of documents (programs, brochures, invitations, etc.) I had in Publisher 2003 does not always translate into 2007. For example, I have a 1/2 page program set up to print two per 8 1/2x11 sheet: when I opened this with Publisher 2007, it was set to print a single full page program per sheet. In a time crunch, I gave up and printed the way it had opened. I have since gotten it switched back over to 1/2 page, by re-selecting landscape layout and multiple copies per page. Easy enou...