Upgrading from XP-SP3 to Windows 7??

Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??

Thanks
0
silverfox1938

silverfox1938 wrote:

> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??
>
> Thanks

Yes.  Most people gets low cost upgrade to Win7 provided they are
willing to do a clean install.  You get an upgrade DVD but you still
have to do a custom install which means CLEAN INSTALL.

Always backup your documents because using Win7 DVD.

I should also mention for he record that anybody can buy an low cost
upgrade DVD because M$ has made it very easy even for people who don't
have any qualifying products!

hth

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:21:14 -0500, silverfox1938 <S1938@nwes.com>
wrote:

> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??

Sorry, but no, there is not one.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
2/9/2010 10:33:19 PM
silverfox1938 wrote:
> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??

No...?

Unless you somehow got some sort of deal from whomever you purchased your
computer from.

You can purchase an upgrade license of Windows 7 - which is slightly less
expensive than the full stand-alone license.  However - know there is no
direct path from Windows XP to Windows 7 - it is a CLEAN installation of
everything.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
2/9/2010 10:57:27 PM

"silverfox1938" wrote:

> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??
>
> Thanks
> .

Fry's Electronics offered a low cost Windows 7 OEM for System Builders last
weekend. Only $95  ;-)
silverfox1938 wrote:

> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??
>
> Thanks

Get?  No.  Buy?  Yes.  Low?  That's for you to interpret.
0
VanguardLH
2/10/2010 1:10:37 AM
No, and why should you?

silverfox1938 wrote:
> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??
>
> Thanks
0
PA
2/10/2010 3:55:14 AM
On 02/09/2010 22:55, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> No, and why should you?
>
> silverfox1938 wrote:
>> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??
>>
>> Thanks

That's the kind of **Slap in the face** answer if I ever seen one!! I
certainly did not expect MSF to **give me** something, they never did
why start now? I would expect to pay of course, I have been buying MSF
products for quite a few years and know that MSF is not loyal to it's
customers by any means and they do expect you to pay by the nose for
every piece of garbage that comes out of Redmond, goodby ***my dear
friends*** keep on paying, Bill Gates needs your dollars.
0
silverfox1938
2/10/2010 11:44:24 AM
silverfox1938 wrote:
> On 02/09/2010 22:55, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> No, and why should you?
>>
>> silverfox1938 wrote:
>>> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??
>>>
>>> Thanks
>

> That's the kind of **Slap in the face** answer if I ever seen one!! I
> certainly did not expect MSF to **give me** something, they never did
> why start now? I would expect to pay of course, I have been buying MSF
> products for quite a few years and know that MSF is not loyal to it's
> customers by any means and they do expect you to pay by the nose for
> every piece of garbage that comes out of Redmond, goodby ***my dear
> friends*** keep on paying, Bill Gates needs your dollars.

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

If everybody not getting a large discount bothers you much, you should
simply find a better operating system that costs considerably less.
There is a difference between Bill Gates wanting and needing "your
dollars." He is entitled to charge whatever price he feels he is likely
to receive. You are free not to do business with him. Yes, I am aware
that if you are a *businessperson*, that most businesses choose to run
Windows and that finding an alternative may present issues for your
employees. Is this your situation?

What price do you feel would be fair to upgrade? Newegg is currently
selling it for $110.

0
Daave
2/10/2010 12:36:08 PM
Why should they GIVE you anything? What do you think their development costs
are?
If you developed something at a cost of millions of dollars would you give
it away?
Do you know what a business is?
"silverfox1938" <S1938@nwes.com> wrote in message
> On 02/09/2010 22:55, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> No, and why should you?
>>
>> silverfox1938 wrote:
>>> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??
>>>
>>> Thanks
>

> That's the kind of **Slap in the face** answer if I ever seen one!! I
> certainly did not expect MSF to **give me** something, they never did why
> start now? I would expect to pay of course, I have been buying MSF
> products for quite a few years and know that MSF is not loyal to it's
> customers by any means and they do expect you to pay by the nose for every
> piece of garbage that comes out of Redmond, goodby ***my dear friends***
> keep on paying, Bill Gates needs your dollars.

0
Unknown

silverfox1938 wrote:
> That's the kind of **Slap in the face** answer if I ever seen one!!
> I certainly did not expect MSF to **give me** something, they never
> did why start now? I would expect to pay of course, I have been
> buying MSF products for quite a few years and know that MSF is not
> loyal to it's customers by any means and they do expect you to pay
> by the nose for every piece of garbage that comes out of Redmond,
> goodby ***my dear friends*** keep on paying, Bill Gates needs your
> dollars.

Other than going to some *nix operating system, you'd pay for anything else
too.  I'd figure someone who chose the name "silverfox1938" would have a
tougher "skin" and be more world-wise than that.

You asked a very generic questions with no detail/background given.  You
received quite a few answers:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/23ace0c1a60c78ac/
(That's the entire conversation, archived indefinitely in case you missed
any of the responses.)

As far as 'pay by the nose' (new to me, I though it was 'out of' not 'by' -
but things do get warped over the years) - you are asking about skipping a
whole generation and getting the second generation after 'new product'
(Windows XP to Windows 7.)

Considering all the things you may run on top of that product - it truly is
the heart of the machine.  Hardware is (has been historically getting)
cheaper because it's so uniform/so "you can swap this out for that" in form.
Dell, HP, Packard Bell, IBM/Lenovo, Gateway and on and on - and those are
just the whole-assembly OEMs - not the parts that you could build it from
yourself.

Operating systems...  Well, you could include Apple, but really - they tie
themselves to hardware except for the heaviest of enthusiasts and they
charge for each major/minor update to the system (10.1, .2, .3... .6) and
some of their cost is rolled back into their hardware (although it is the
same with only a minor change to talk to the OS as the Microsoft/Linux
machines use.)  So you have essentially various formats of *nix (Linux) and
Windows.  More software is produced for Windows because *nix is historically
the enthusiast/geek operating system.  (Historically for those wishing to
start their own thread off that.)  Supply and demand - no matter where you
live or what you talk about, in the end, it comes down to that.  ;-)

It'll cost you between $75-$350 U.S. to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7
depending on what route (upgrade edition, full retail, OEM) you choose to
take and what vehicle (edition) of Windows 7 you get to take you down that
route.  It's very simple and very logical.

I mention OEM in this because you will be doing a clean installation really
in any case.  I would not recommend the OEM route unless you are planning
ahead and will be griping later about how the license agreement tied that to
the machine you installed/activated on instead of letting you move it to a
new machine, no questions asked.

All things considered, the price of the operating system is much lower than
one would expect it - considering how many other software titles (many
priced much higher) require it or another such priced OS to even work for
you.

*shrug*

In then end - you do whatever you want, buy whatever you want, use whatever
you want.  You asked a very trolling and incomplete questions and got some
answers that were accurate but curt, some longer answers that tried to
explain things to you and so on.  What you do, how you react is only
determined by you and your character.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
2/10/2010 4:19:23 PM
There's different ways of acquiring Windows 7. Here (Canada) there's a
'Family Pack' available which is comprised of three copies steeply
discounted in price. You can also have a look at OEM discs online (be
careful) or just the plain ol' upgrade box from your neighbourhood computer
box store.

Considering it's software many people use every day sometimes hours at a
time, the price of the Home Upgrade is relatively cheap, almost commodity.

> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??
>
> Thanks

0
Saucy
2/10/2010 4:33:54 PM
Saucy wrote:
> There's different ways of acquiring Windows 7. Here (Canada)
> there's a 'Family Pack' available which is comprised of three
> copies steeply discounted in price. You can also have a look at OEM
> discs online (be careful) or just the plain ol' upgrade box from
> your neighbourhood computer box store.
>
> Considering it's software many people use every day sometimes hours
> at a time, the price of the Home Upgrade is relatively cheap,
> almost commodity.

http://www.buy.com/prod/windows-7-family-pack-premium-upgrade/q/loc/105/211406681.html

Not sure if it really is discounted though...

http://www.buy.com/prod/windows-7-home-premium-upgrade/q/loc/105/211406672.html

$342ish+shipping U.S. for three licenses to upgrade to Windows 7 Home
Premium via Family Pack.
$100ish+shipping U.S. for each license to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium
individually.

Discounted?

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
2/10/2010 4:56:20 PM
Wow! Don't pay that price!

Here's the Family Pack (3 licenses) at Futureshop in Canadian dollars (which
are pretty close to American dollars these days):

[Futureshop]
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/windows-7-home-premium-family-pack-virtual-upgrade-english/10130896.aspx?path=575c6b3665d9bce7ca8f9aa8ff303fb4en02

[Same site in tinyurl]
http://tinyurl.com/yl7ykqd

That's about 67 bucks a copy Cdn.

You probably can get better pricing in the U.S. if it is available there.

> Saucy wrote:
>> There's different ways of acquiring Windows 7. Here (Canada)
>> there's a 'Family Pack' available which is comprised of three
>> copies steeply discounted in price. You can also have a look at OEM
>> discs online (be careful) or just the plain ol' upgrade box from
>> your neighbourhood computer box store.
>>
>> Considering it's software many people use every day sometimes hours
>> at a time, the price of the Home Upgrade is relatively cheap,
>> almost commodity.
>
> http://www.buy.com/prod/windows-7-family-pack-premium-upgrade/q/loc/105/211406681.html
>
> Not sure if it really is discounted though...
>
> http://www.buy.com/prod/windows-7-home-premium-upgrade/q/loc/105/211406672.html
>
> $342ish+shipping U.S. for three licenses to upgrade to Windows 7 Home
> Premium via Family Pack.
> $100ish+shipping U.S. for each license to upgrade to Windows 7 Home
> Premium individually.
>
> Discounted?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>     MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Saucy
2/10/2010 6:17:32 PM
No one here works for or represents Microsoft, including me.

silverfox1938 wrote:
> On 02/09/2010 22:55, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> No, and why should you?
>>
>> silverfox1938 wrote:
>>> Are we supposed to get some kind of low cost upgrade to Win7??
>>>
>>> Thanks
>

> That's the kind of **Slap in the face** answer if I ever seen one!! I
> certainly did not expect MSF to **give me** something, they never did
> why start now? I would expect to pay of course, I have been buying MSF
> products for quite a few years and know that MSF is not loyal to it's
> customers by any means and they do expect you to pay by the nose for
> every piece of garbage that comes out of Redmond, goodby ***my dear
> friends*** keep on paying, Bill Gates needs your dollars.
0
PA

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Deploying SP3 via group policy
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if it is possible to deploy GP9 Service Pack 3 (we're actually deploying the Canadian Year-End Tax update, but it includes SP3) via Group Policy? Microsoft has instructions for deploying the base install of GP9 via Group Policy, but I haven't been able to find any information regarding the updates. If possible, we'd like to avoid touching every machine for this update. Thanks! tools - setup - system - client updates. "Jason Josephson" wrote: > Hi everyone. Does anyone know if it is possible to deploy GP9 Service Pack 3 > (w...

Windows Conversion
I have an Access 2000 database which runs perfectly until i loaded it on a new machine. This machine was loaded with Windows 2000 and Access 2000 but it behaves in an odd way. When I go to a pop up form it looses track of the current record when returning to the main part of the system and it appears to do this randomly, sometimes it is OK then it all collapses! I suspect that it may be due to later updates in Windows that somehow make it not backward compatible. I have tried the database on different older machines and in Access 2002, 2003 and it is all OK there. Any suggestions p...

Money 3.0 XP and Networking Query
Hi, I have a client who is using money 3 for personal purposes for keeping track of shares and dividends and such. I realise Money 3 is very old (looks like it was for windows 3.1!) but he does not wish to upgrade to a newer version of money which is more complicated and has many features which he will never use. My questions are: 1] Will money 3 work reliably in XP? 2] Has anyone tried using money 3 over a network? i.e. sharing the file and using it on different computers (it would not have to be at the same time).? Otherwise, can you suggest a program that can deal with buying/se...

Installing Office 2000 (Word) on XP with pre-installed 2007
I installed my copy of Office 2000 on a 6-months old XP computer that had Office 2007 pre-installed. Thereafter, Excel 2000 works but when I open Word 2000, I get a blank document, as expected, but no tools or buttons at the top. I believe 2000 is trying to use tool files from 2007. I have tried to load Office 2000 into its own directory named "Microsoft Office 2000" but the install does not allow me to select the program files subdirectory. Could I temporarily change the "\Microsoft Office" subdirectory name which contains Office 2007 to "\Microsoft ...

Error in Scroll window
Hi, thnaks for reading. Dexterity 8, GP 8, SQL I have problems with one scroll window, let me try to explain: In the main window I have two scroll windows each one with information from diferent tables. In both scrolls I have one check box by row, in order to select records. The forst one scroll works properly, but the second one, is my problem. When I start cheking rows, in the second or third record checked, the scroll move all the rows, this mean, the record one are now the fifth record, the second si the first, etc. I appreciate your help Best regards. -- Jorge Diaz C Company: Wa...

Upgrading the CPU?

How do I sync windows mail with my charter.net mail address?
I'm having difficulty doing this. Any suggestions? Windows Mail doesn't "sync" POP accounts. Please explain what the exact problem is. Trouble with sending or receiving? Please post a=20 copy of any error message you get. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "mhope3244" <mhope3244@charter.net> wrote in message = news:0DF79098-8E77-4E4A-84F3-64EFD6B5626B@microsoft.com... > I'm having difficulty doing this. Any suggestions? ...

XP style controls
I'm developing an application in MFC using VS 6. I've added support for XP visual styles by adding a manifest file to my project. All the XP style controls are working fine except for the scroll bars. For some reason, calling CScrollBar::EnableScrollBar no longer activates the scroll bar. Is there some other way this is done with XP styles? Any help would be greatly appreciated. David DeRam wrote: > I'm developing an application in MFC using VS 6. I've added support for XP > visual styles by adding a manifest file to my project. All the XP style > controls are wor...

SP3 will not install but no error message
I', trying to install SP3 for my XP professional program, I used the express method and the files were downloaded to the computer and installation started Wizard. The program gets "stuck" very early on at the part "updating your system, creating cabinets, etc. details says Running Process Before Install". 5 progress bars come up and that is it!! But there is no error message, etc. Just stuck. Thanks everyone -- LJB There is no such thing as Express Method because you have to go through the pain barrier M$ wants everybody to go through because SP3...

8.0 Upgrade

Can't e-mail from Word 2000 using Outlook 2002/XP
After "upgrading" Outlook 2000 SP-1 to Outlook 2002, I can't create a Word letter from within Outlook or send a file to a recipient from within Word. When I try to create a letter from within Outlook, I get the error "To use this feature you must install the version of Microsoft Word that matches the installed version of Microsoft Outlook". I've tried The Outlook 2002 "repair", and even uninstalled it and re-installed Outlook 2000 SP-1. In that configuration, the software worked fine. But when I "upgraded" again to Outlook 2002, it was br...

Clean re-install of XP
I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe, but it fails also, with the error; KB976325 Setup canceled Suggestions on how to resolve? Thank you, Terry R. -- Anti-spam measures are included in my email address. Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply. "Terry R." <F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message news:%237XjRyxkKHA.5728@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe, > but it fails also, with the error; > > KB976325 Setup canceled There will be more explicit diagnostics ...

Fun one! Windows explorer search
Hello everyone. I've been experiencing this issue for some time now, and frustration has finally got this cat. We have XP, SP2. Many times, more often that not, when I use the search function embedded in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), when I search for files and folders, searching by a word in the filename, my search returns empty results, even when I know there are files with that name. When I demonstrated this error to people before, I would navigate to a directory, point out a word in an existing file in said directory and tell them that is the word I will use in t...

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

XP Upgrade

Upgrading to Money 2004 Premium
Hi, I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this problem, and if yes what was the work around. -- Cheers Catherine PM Community Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. In microsoft.public.money, Catherine Feldhausen [MSFT] wrote: > >I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that >my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this >problem, and if yes what was the wo...

Windows Media Player 9
Hi, I don't get the picture at all when I play AVI files, although I do get sound. Can someone point me in the right direction for resolving this issue. Thanks - Phil. Wrong newsgroup, but make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime installed. Click on Help and then on 'Update Existing Software'. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ------...

Upgrade? or not to upgrade.
I accepted the invitation to try office 2010. Upon installation, outlook 2007 quit working. Since that is the only critical piece i need out of office, and all my emails etch i desperately need are on there, I uninstalled. Now I get no out look. I get the error: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. I am really kicking myself, I knew i shouldn't have done the upgrade trial. I am bordering on hysteria here. Can anyone help? Tried to open in compatibility mode xp but no go same error. Outlook now does not appear in the start ...

Outlook XP & 2003 PST Conversion
Hey Folks, Aside from doing an import, is there perhaps an easier way to convert a PST from the XP format to the 2003 format (unicode vs. ANSI)? I'm hoping someone may have some insight they can share with me on this matter. Thank You, Marty -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ No, there's no magic wand or application to do the work for you. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Marty...

downloading Office 2007 Professional didn't upgrade my outlook 20.
I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 Professional which I then converted to my own. I also have Office 2000 still on my computer. How do I get outlook to upgrade from 2000 to 2007? The trial version of Outlook will not install if any other version of Outlook is installed What does "converted to my own" mean? "rmeadie" <rmeadie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A302D5A5-12EA-4C56-8944-53FAD9A7A0C1@microsoft.com... >I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 Professional which I then > converted to my own. I also have Office ...

I am unable to update my Windows media player
I am using this audiobook program called overdrive media, and it requires Windows Media Player. When i try to download an audiobook this message (http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/yummyjellybucket/?action=view&current=VAAAT.png) pops up and when i press OK it won't let me. I am unable to put the audiobook on itunes because i downloaded it from my library website. PLEASE HELP On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:12:01 -0700, ItalianKahlanAmnell <ItalianKahlanAmnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using this audiobook program called overdrive media, and it requ...

Upgrade to 8.0/Upgrade FRX
When upgrading Great Plains (from 7.5 to 8.0) do you suggest installing over the 7.5 client or uninstalling 8.0 fresh? How about FRX? (6.5 to 6.7) Thanks, Annalisa I like to keep the GP installation clean but I've had success installing over the existing client. Just make sure you export all modified reports and forms to package files. For FRx, it will give you options during the installation process. I would keep the existing version and install in a new directory. "afollo" wrote: > When upgrading Great Plains (from 7.5 to 8.0) do you suggest installing over > ...