Unable to run any programs

I have a serious problem on my PC and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

I re-booted my PC and after it came back up there were no icons in the
system tray. When I tried to run any program from my task bar or desktop the
system displayed the window which asks which program you would like to use to
open the file (even though the files are all exe). I can open Word, Excel,
PPT by double clicking on a relevant file(.doc .ppt .xls). however I can't
open Outlook by clicking on a .pst file. I also can't run things from the
'run" window (like regedit, ipconfig etc). Also I can't run anything from the
control panel.

when I "right click" on the desktop and try to create a new shortcut I get
the message "rundll32.exe - application not found" (even though rundll32.exe
is in the Windows\system32 folder).

I have managed to get File Explorer working and can run that from the task
bar. However when I navigate to a folder and try to run a program directly
from the folder I get the result above.

Any help appreciated.

I'm using Windows Xp Media Edition V5.1 SP3

"WillH" wrote:

> I have a serious problem on my PC and wondered if anyone had any ideas.
>
> I re-booted my PC and after it came back up there were no icons in the
> system tray. When I tried to run any program from my task bar or desktop the
> system displayed the window which asks which program you would like to use to
> open the file (even though the files are all exe). I can open Word, Excel,
> PPT by double clicking on a relevant file(.doc .ppt .xls). however I can't
> open Outlook by clicking on a .pst file. I also can't run things from the
> 'run" window (like regedit, ipconfig etc). Also I can't run anything from the
> control panel.
>
> when I "right click" on the desktop and try to create a new shortcut I get
> the message "rundll32.exe - application not found" (even though rundll32.exe
> is in the Windows\system32 folder).
>
> I have managed to get File Explorer working and can run that from the task
> bar. However when I navigate to a folder and try to run a program directly
> from the folder I get the result above.
>
> Any help appreciated.
try initiating a system
restore point back to
a functional date.

ps: try making a system
restore point for today
so you can bring your
pc back to today, if the
older point doesn't pan
out.

incidentally, if you can't
run a restore in normal
mode, then try safe mode.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

"WillH" <WillH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED684382-D3F5-4352-8ABF-B808369BBEF3@microsoft.com...
> I have a serious problem on my PC and wondered if anyone had any ideas.
>
> I re-booted my PC and after it came back up there were no icons in the
> system tray. When I tried to run any program from my task bar or desktop the
> system displayed the window which asks which program you would like to use to
> open the file (even though the files are all exe). I can open Word, Excel,
> PPT by double clicking on a relevant file(.doc .ppt .xls). however I can't
> open Outlook by clicking on a .pst file. I also can't run things from the
> 'run" window (like regedit, ipconfig etc). Also I can't run anything from the
> control panel.
>
> when I "right click" on the desktop and try to create a new shortcut I get
> the message "rundll32.exe - application not found" (even though rundll32.exe
> is in the Windows\system32 folder).
>
> I have managed to get File Explorer working and can run that from the task
> bar. However when I navigate to a folder and try to run a program directly
> from the folder I get the result above.
>
> Any help appreciated.

0
db
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

WillH wrote:
> I'm using Windows Xp Media Edition V5.1 SP3
>
> "WillH" wrote:
>
>> I have a serious problem on my PC and wondered if anyone had any ideas.
>>
>> I re-booted my PC and after it came back up there were no icons in the
>> system tray. When I tried to run any program from my task bar or desktop
>> the system displayed the window which asks which program you would like
>> use to open the file (even though the files are all exe). I can open
>> Word,
>> Excel, PPT by double clicking on a relevant file(.doc .ppt .xls). however
>> I can't open Outlook by clicking on a .pst file. I also can't run things
>> from the 'run" window (like regedit, ipconfig etc). Also I can't run
>> anything from the control panel.
>>
>> when I "right click" on the desktop and try to create a new shortcut I
>> get
>> the message "rundll32.exe - application not found" (even though
>> rundll32.exe is in the Windows\system32 folder).
>>
>> I have managed to get File Explorer working and can run that from the
>> task
>> bar. However when I navigate to a folder and try to run a program
>> directly
>> from the folder I get the result above.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.

0
PA
3/20/2010 5:26:16 PM
I'm curretnly running avg v9 (free). I used ot have Norton but stopped it 2
years ago.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>

> WillH wrote:
> > I'm using Windows Xp Media Edition V5.1 SP3
> >
> > "WillH" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a serious problem on my PC and wondered if anyone had any ideas.
> >>
> >> I re-booted my PC and after it came back up there were no icons in the
> >> system tray. When I tried to run any program from my task bar or desktop
> >> the system displayed the window which asks which program you would like
> >> use to open the file (even though the files are all exe). I can open
> >> Word,
> >> Excel, PPT by double clicking on a relevant file(.doc .ppt .xls). however
> >> I can't open Outlook by clicking on a .pst file. I also can't run things
> >> from the 'run" window (like regedit, ipconfig etc). Also I can't run
> >> anything from the control panel.
> >>
> >> when I "right click" on the desktop and try to create a new shortcut I
> >> get
> >> the message "rundll32.exe - application not found" (even though
> >> rundll32.exe is in the Windows\system32 folder).
> >>
> >> I have managed to get File Explorer working and can run that from the
> >> task
> >> bar. However when I navigate to a folder and try to run a program
> >> directly
> >> from the folder I get the result above.
> >>
> >> Any help appreciated.
>
> .

thanks for the advice. It sounded like a good idea but when I try to run a
system restore (start\all programs\accessories\system tools\system restore) I
get teh same result ( window which asks which program you would like to use
open the file) in both normal and safe mode.

"db" wrote:

> try initiating a system
> restore point back to
> a functional date.
>
> ps: try making a system
> restore point for today
> so you can bring your
> pc back to today, if the
> older point doesn't pan
> out.
>
> incidentally, if you can't
> run a restore in normal
> mode, then try safe mode.
>
> --
>
> db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>  - Systems Analyst
>  - Database Developer
>  - Accountancy
>  - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>  - Microsoft Partner
> -  @hotmail.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen
>

> "WillH" <WillH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED684382-D3F5-4352-8ABF-B808369BBEF3@microsoft.com...
> > I have a serious problem on my PC and wondered if anyone had any ideas.
> >
> > I re-booted my PC and after it came back up there were no icons in the
> > system tray. When I tried to run any program from my task bar or desktop the
> > system displayed the window which asks which program you would like to use to
> > open the file (even though the files are all exe). I can open Word, Excel,
> > PPT by double clicking on a relevant file(.doc .ppt .xls). however I can't
> > open Outlook by clicking on a .pst file. I also can't run things from the
> > 'run" window (like regedit, ipconfig etc). Also I can't run anything from the
> > control panel.
> >
> > when I "right click" on the desktop and try to create a new shortcut I get
> > the message "rundll32.exe - application not found" (even though rundll32.exe
> > is in the Windows\system32 folder).
> >
> > I have managed to get File Explorer working and can run that from the task
> > bar. However when I navigate to a folder and try to run a program directly
> > from the folder I get the result above.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.

I've just signed on with another user profile on my PC (as the "Owner") and
the programs run for this user profile. so it must be something to do with my
normal profile. Yesterday I had the @XP Security Center@ virus on my PC which
I deleted. Now I'm wondering if this has done something else as well.

> I've just signed on with another user profile on my PC (as the "Owner")
> and
> the programs run for this user profile. so it must be something to do with
> my
> normal profile. Yesterday I had the @XP Security Center@ virus on my PC
> which
> I deleted. Now I'm wondering if this has done something else as well.

You should have mentioned the virus infection right at the start of the
thread. This is key information! Note also that it is optimistic to say "I
deleted the virus" or "my virus protection removed the virus". Most virus
writers take great care in creating damage that is hard to detect and harder
to remove.

0
Pegasus
3/20/2010 7:20:21 PM
[Have I been assisting you this week in an MS Answers forum, Will?]

Had your Norton subscription expired before you replaced it with AVG Free?

Did you run the Norton Removal Tool before you installed AVG Free?

> Yesterday I had the @XP Security Center@ virus on my PC
> which I deleted

Your inability to "run any programs" was caused by the hijackware infection
so I can assure you that you have much more work to do!

Windows.  A Repair Install will NOT help!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!  You may need to download the

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
• http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
• http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
• http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
• http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

WillH wrote:
> I'm curretnly running avg v9 (free). I used ot have Norton but stopped it
> 2
> years ago.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than

>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> WillH wrote:
>>> I'm using Windows Xp Media Edition V5.1 SP3

>> .

0
PA
3/20/2010 8:09:12 PM
no this is the first post I've made about this problem (it only happened today)
I removed Norton before I put AVG on and it was a few weeks after the Norton
subscription ran out.

I'll look at the things that you suggest and let you know how I get on.

thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
>

> WillH wrote:
> > I'm curretnly running avg v9 (free). I used ot have Norton but stopped it
> > 2
> > years ago.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?

> >> .
>
> .

> ...I removed Norton...after the Norton subscription ran out.

You should have uninstalled Norton *and* run the Norton Removal Tool &
installed a replacement AV App *before* your Norton subscription expired.

Don't waste your time trying to clean up that computer.  Back-up any
personal data (none of which should be considered 100% trustworthy at this
point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of Windows.  Please note
that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network  (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

     4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
     http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

     Norton Removal Tool
     ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

     McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
     http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see:

Risks & Benefits of P2P file sharing
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/data/downloadfileshare/filesharing.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/06/the-cost-of-free-software.aspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/prevent.aspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/prevent.aspx

Avoid Rogue Security Software!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx

~PA Bear

WillH wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
>> • http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>> • http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>> • http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
>> • http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>>
>> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
>> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
>> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
>> shop.
>>

>> WillH wrote:
>>> I'm curretnly running avg v9 (free). I used ot have Norton but stopped

0
PA
3/20/2010 10:07:58 PM
On Mar 20, 12:23=A0pm, WillH <Wi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a serious problem on my PC and wondered if anyone had any ideas.
>
> I re-booted my PC and after it came back up there were no icons in the
> system tray. When I tried to run any program from my task bar or desktop =
the
> system displayed the window which asks which program you would like to us=
e to
> open the file (even though the files are all exe). I can open Word, Excel=
,
> PPT by double clicking on a relevant file(.doc .ppt .xls). however I can'=
> open Outlook by clicking on a .pst file. I also can't run things from the
> 'run" window (like regedit, ipconfig etc). Also I can't run anything from=
 the
> control panel.
>
> when I "right click" on the desktop and try to create a new shortcut I ge=
> the message "rundll32.exe - application not found" (even though rundll32.=
exe
> is in the Windows\system32 folder).
>
> I have managed to get File Explorer working and can run that from the tas=
> bar. However when I navigate to a folder and try to run a program directl=
> from the folder I get the result above.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Go to this WWW site by Doug Knox:

http://www.dougknox.com/

On the left, click the Win XP Fixes, File Association Fixes and read
the directions at
the top of the page.

Download the EXE File Association Fix and apply it, then reboot.
0
Jose
3/20/2010 10:17:02 PM
Thanks Jose this has done the job.

I've run one of the scans that PA Bear advised and it found
and deleted a couple of things. I'm going to run the other scans adn see if
thee is anything else hanging around.

On Mar 21, 5:21=A0am, WillH <Wi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jose this has done the job.
>
> I've run one of the scans that PA Bear advised and it found
> and deleted a couple of things. I'm going to run the other scans adn see =
if
> thee is anything else hanging around.

Good job.

That is a common leftover problem after that infection or the likes of
Desktop Defender 2010.

MBAM is your best hope, but there are things to do before MBAM and and
after MBAM.  MSRT will not help you.  Norton will not help you.
McAfee, Avira, Avast, Defender and certainly Microsoft PC Safety will
not help you - they will give up and tell you to reformat and
reinstall.  I have already dealt with them.  They may be good for some
things, but not this.

Ubuntu will not help you.  Safe Mode or moving your HDD to another
machine will not help you.  System Restore will not help you because
it will not run either - why is it even still suggested?  That is not
the problem.  If you fix it a few times, you kow what works and what
is a waste of time.

There is actually a well thought out plan for dealing with it and if
you follow the plan conceived and tweaked after fixing the problem
many, many times, you will not get frustrated and waste your time
trying things that might work.  You can fix that malware with 100%
certainty 100% of the time if you know how it works, what it does to
your system and follow the plan.

Most of that time is waiting for MBAM to finish scanning!  I would
also run SAS and if there are other issues, let us know.  You are not
the first person with this problem or the leftovers.

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.
0
Jose
3/21/2010 12:01:36 PM
[Your computer's probably been infected for the past two years, ever since
your Norton subscription expired.  I wouldn't bother with anything other
than a clean install IIWY.]

WillH wrote:
> Thanks Jose this has done the job.
>
> I've run one of the scans that PA Bear advised and it found
> and deleted a couple of things. I'm going to run the other scans adn see
> if
> thee is anything else hanging around.
>
> "Jose" wrote:
>
>> On Mar 20, 12:23 pm, WillH <Wi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> I have a serious problem on my PC and wondered if anyone had any ideas.
>>>
>>> I re-booted my PC and after it came back up there were no icons in the
>>> system tray. When I tried to run any program from my task bar or desktop
>>> the system displayed the window which asks which program you would like
>>> to use to open the file (even though the files are all exe). I can open
>>> Word, Excel, PPT by double clicking on a relevant file(.doc .ppt .xls).
>>> however I can't open Outlook by clicking on a .pst file. I also can't
>>> run
>>> things from the 'run" window (like regedit, ipconfig etc). Also I can't
>>> run anything from the control panel.
>>>
>>> when I "right click" on the desktop and try to create a new shortcut I
>>> get
>>> the message "rundll32.exe - application not found" (even though
>>> rundll32.exe is in the Windows\system32 folder).
>>>
>>> I have managed to get File Explorer working and can run that from the
>>> task
>>> bar. However when I navigate to a folder and try to run a program
>>> directly
>>> from the folder I get the result above.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Go to this WWW site by Doug Knox:
>>
>> http://www.dougknox.com/
>>
>> On the left, click the Win XP Fixes, File Association Fixes and read
>> the directions at
>> the top of the page.
>>
>> Download the EXE File Association Fix and apply it, then reboot.
>> .

0
PA

Outlook 2007 unable to open attachments
I have a user running Windows XP Pro, sp3 with Outlook 2007. All has been well. Yesterday she updated her Adobe Reader to v. 9.3 (not sure if that is relevant but pretty suspicous). Now when she receives and email with a .xls attachment she is unable to open it. She gets the message: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\F2E0M??\filename.xls could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct. I thought perhaps the security folder under Content.Outlook was full, kind of lik...

Run macro upon all files within a folder
Word 2007 Dear Gurus: I am attempting to find a macro that would possibly run an already existing macro upon all files within a specific folder. For example: I need to convert all existing styles within a series of resumes to styles newly created in a template by someone else. I have created the macro that will make the style conversions, but I am further in need of a process by which this macro can be automatically applied to all files within a given folder. Any assistance in this regard will be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Rod Hi Rod, Have a look ...

Money 2005 Small Business XP to Vista unable to login to money fil
I installed Money 2005 on a new computer with Vista and can not open my existing money file that was created with a passport on my old computer with XP. i have been working offline under xp since i can not login because my password is invalid (even after changing it). Vista will not let me open the file by working offline even under Run as Administrator. I have downloaded the update on my new computer. In microsoft.public.money, jenl11 wrote: >I installed Money 2005 on a new computer with Vista and can not open my >existing money file that was created with a passport on my ...

need excel worksheet help, running total based on date
I am trying to add a series of numbers in different worksheets(same spreadsheet) based upon the date. I don't want the future numbers in the total until the date they are associated with is passed. i.e. in A1 of each worksheet is 200. Each worksheet is titled by date (Mar 5, Mar 19, etc) I want the running total to reflect the amount to the current date. If it's March 18th, the totals would be only thru the worksheet of Mar 5. Any help is appreciated. My solution needs 2 cells, one of which may already be in use: You need a cell on each of the dated sheets that...

get value from another program
I have a program that i only change 2 number of 2 characteristics and it will give me the value i need . I make a new sheet with a list of numbers of 2 above characteristics. The question is that how can i set up a formular to get the value from this program by replacing 2 numbers of these 2 characteristic then i just copy that formula to another cell and it will get the value i need with other numbers ...

Running Sum 01-16-08
I'vee seen alot on reports and running sums, and created a report with a running sum, but I really need a query, as I have to use this data elsewhere. Data looks like: Cust PG Day Count Amt Running Sum 50418 125 1 162 162 50418 125 7 234 496 50418 125 14 486 982 I know this is easy, and thanks in advance for your help. You need a field which uniquely defines the ordering of the ru...

Unable to close Outlook 2000
When I Exit my Outlook 2000 either through <Exit and logoff. or using the close button, the message box <Please, wait while outlook exits> stays forever unless I force it closed using the task manager. Anybody got any idea on this? Maybe an add-in. Try to disable unused add-ins in tools/options/advanced/advanced/add-in manager and com-addins. Thomas Quester www.outlookfolders.de "Obum" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bced01c489ab$3e1cbc20$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When I Exit my Outlook 2000 either through <Exit and > logoff. or ...

tutorials don't run
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel the tutorials located in the online help menu within word do not run. i'm trying to find out how to link footer to previous without doing the same to header. I don't know anything about the tutorial. Do do what you want. Menu: View/Formatting Pallette Menu: View/Header and Footer Put cursor into the Header. Uncheck "Link to Previous" Put cursor into the Footer. Check "Link to Previous". --rms www.rmschneider.com On 11/02/10 22:11, alhill@officeformac.com...

Averageifs- calculate TV programs rating from various channels
Hi all, I'm trying to use averageifs on the following situation: I have 3 criteria columns- date, start time of a program and finish time of a program (no problem with this of course) and 10 columns of rating data to 10 different TV channels in any time of the day. In anoter sheet I've got a table whice includes records like: date, TV channel, program name, start time, finish time. I need to calculate the average rating for every program and my problam is- how can I produce a formula in which the excel will "understand" which channel rating data it needs to calculate t...

Backup program
I am looking for a good easy to use backup program. I now have Norton Ghost and it is hard to use. Any suggestions will be appreciated. thank you, (jbrown15@hvc.rr.com) Acronis TrueImage HOME edition is easy to use. It does help though if you read the help file and learn a bit about partitions and file structures. -- Richard Urban Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience & Security "JBrown" <jbrown15@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message news:enqztMdcKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl.....

Running eseutil /d simultaneously in 2 different stores
Hi all! Just wondering if it is possible to run more than one instance of "eseutil /d" simultaneously in 2 (or more) different mailbox stores. Does anyone know if it can be done? Any articles or documentation about it? Thanks for any help Andre Seitz Don't see a problem with that, as long as you have the storage and cpu to support that kind of activity (depending on size of stores.... ). -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Seitz" <seitz@uol.com.br> wrote in message news:Oh2$fhFxFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi all! >...

Defending Exchange server from running out of storage resulting from incoming e-mail flood
We are currently rolling out Microsoft Exchange at the campus level. Part of the configuration involves setting quotas on each mailbox - 200MB of storage. A warning is issued at 150MB and a user can no longer send when storage exceeds 180MB. At 200MB, the user can neither send or receive messages. There are 2 motivations behind this use of quotas. The first (restriction on sending) is designed to encourage a user to reduce their mail store to fit comfortably within the quota. The second (restriction on receipt of incoming mail) is designed to protect the system from attack. The design is...

Outlook Still Running
I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make sure this does not happen? Thanks for your help -- Neil Remove ABCD from Email address to reply <neil154ABCD@earthlink.net> wrote: > I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit > out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still > running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make > sure this does not happ...

Problem running CRM
Hi, When I try to run the crm website, i get the following message: http://localhost/_common/error/errorhandler.aspx?errNum=0x80040226 Any help would be appreciated Best regards, Bas Dirkse bas.dirkse@icm-solutions.nl ...

Unable to backup only one store in a storage group
Hi Team I am unabe to backup one particulart store in a storage group, i used NETBACKUP DATACENTRE ,it failed, i used NTBACkUP that also failed the other stores in teh same group are going fine NT backup says dont have enough permissions , but i checked the permissions all are fine the mail boxes in the store dont have a problem can you please let me know how often should we run ISINTEG and ESEUTIL , please note that this server supports 1500 mailboxes any ideas Thanks MARK Can you post the specific error you get with NTBackup? From event viewer and as much as possible from t...

My excel 97 (running XP) is closing all the time
I am running Xp, with office 97, Excel worked fine until this morning, now is reports an error and clsoes with 20 secs of opening - bad news as I have a report to get in by 9.00 am Mon. Please, please help. I'll have dinner with the solution provider - save my life Alison, You don't say what the error is. Try the things at www.smokeylake.com/excel/vfaq.htm. Look at item "Excel acts generally stupid." And tell us what the error is. I like surf and turf. Or a nice Italian restaurant. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ---------------------...

CRM 4 run time error 5941 using labels template
I am trying to do a mail merge of several hundred labels. We have our own template. If we select the letters option for the merge it works but doesn't provide us with multiple labels across one line. If we select the labels option in CRM, when we go to build the list the get the 5941 error with the additional comment "The requested member of the collection does not exist." Any suggestions? -- Petej-Boston ...

When trying to load microsoft Outlook error message saying: unabl.
djchampkin <djchampkin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Is there a question here somewhere? -- Brian Tillman Sorry sent twice. "Brian Tillman" wrote: > djchampkin <djchampkin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > Is there a question here somewhere? > -- > Brian Tillman > ...

Set up new identity in OE, now OE won't run
I set up a new Id in OE, changed to the new id , created an additional folder, moved mail to new folder, switched back to main Id. OE asked if it must be set as default mail prog, & I clicked YES. It took me back to desktop, and now I can't access OE from anywhere!!? Please help? Sorry Jo-Anne, This is an outlook newsgroup. They may sound the same, but they're totally different products. You need to take this to the Outlook Express newsgroup. ....but, if I may offer a hint, you didn't mention changing your identity on the computer. OE may still think you're the ol...

Unable to Import MS Outlook Contacts
Hello, I am attempting to import 1548 MS Outlook contacts. When I go to MS CRM Contacts and select Tools => Import, then select to Import MS Outlook Contacts on 1 contact shows as available to import. Any help is very much appreciated. Correction. "Only 1 contact shows up as available to import." Could this have some thing to do with forms"? "TriEssent" wrote: > Hello, > I am attempting to import 1548 MS Outlook contacts. When I go to MS CRM > Contacts and select Tools => Import, then select to Import MS Outlook > Contacts on 1 contact ...

Module to run a macro
Hello, I hoping someone can help me with a module question. I have MS Access 2003. My database has a macro called "Process Data". I want to create a module that gives me a message box stating "Links Verified?". When the user clicks OK, the module will run the "Process Data" macro. When user clicks Cancel, the "Process Data" macro will not run and the message box closes. I am very new to VBA, so I was hoping someone can provide me this code. Please let me know if I need to provide you with more information. Thanks in advance. Kevin Kevin -...

Unable to logon to mailbox as administrator even after granting service account access
The reason I'm trying to do this is because I want to use EXMERGE to extract some mail. After reviewing the EXMERGE.LOG file, I notice that it must be permissions related so I went through the process of granting the Administrator account service access at the organizational level as well as removing explicit deny to Send As and Receive As to other groups this account is part of. I've even set explicit permissions on the Mailbox store. If I try to access the mailboxes via OWA I gut the logon prompt and after 3 attempts get an "Unauthorized" message; consistent with the EXM...

Unable to delete
I I am using outlook express 6 with update patch,I am unable to delete e-mail. It does not matter how I try, tool bar from right click menu, edit menu nothing works. I do not recive any sort of message to say it is not possible just nothing happens. My in box is filling up fast!!!! Help please. Bob ...

Export to program?
Hello, I am a rookie in programming, but I would like to create a very easy program which I can publish on my website. It works very simply: you give 3 variables, than click "Go", and the program gives you 2 results. I have created it in Excel and now I am wondering if there is any way to publish it in a nice looking program? Thanks in advance, Coach __________ Informacja programu ESET NOD32 Antivirus, wersja bazy sygnatur wirus�w 3983 (20090402) __________ Wiadomosc zostala sprawdzona przez program ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.pl lub http://www.eset.com Coac...

Unable to send a message to Newsgroup
When I tried to reply to a group a got a message "The message could not be send. No sender was specified. Please check your account information." I configured the account correctly with server setting as pop.gmail.com, smtp.gmail.com and Incoming mail server is POP3. I could send email to an indiviual in the group but I could not send to the group. Please any reply appreciated. It is not clear what you mean by "group", so if you can tell us what group, then that might help someone to provide the most useful and accurate answer. In particular, if the group ...