Trouble shutting down

I am trying to figure out why my computer (XP/SP3) seems to have trouble
shutting down from time to time.  Several days ago I shut it down.  Or
thought I did.  Obviously I was in a hurry and did not sit watching it for
the usual long time the shut down usually takes.  Came back to restart it
today and at first I thought it had read my mind and started up on its own.
Then I realized it had never finished shutting down.  Apparently a program
was not responding and Windows was asking me what did I want to do?  A
question like this is probably even more inane of the things Windows may
ask.  Did it notice the shut down command?  What are the odds that, given my
command to shut down, I would want to abort the process  because something
was not responding?  Well, as far as I know there are only two options: (1)
Wait around for a few hours in the vain hope that the dud program somehow
revives itself--and then, what, the computer resumes shutting down?  of (2)
End the program and let the shutdown proceed.  Even if option #1 were
technically feasible, it would be utter nonsense.  There is no practical
choice here.
And in the end, after clicking to End the program, the machine did not shut
down anyway.  Instead it stopped at an "empty" desktop, i.e., there was my
desktop picture but without any icons, toolbars, systray, etc.
Any idea what this is all about?
I am a PC and I'm trying to figure out how do what I think I am supposed to
without giving the guy at the keyboard heartburn!

0
Joe

>I am trying to figure out why my computer (XP/SP3) seems to have trouble
>shutting down from time to time.  Several days ago I shut it down.  Or
>thought I did.  Obviously I was in a hurry and did not sit watching it for
>the usual long time the shut down usually takes.  Came back to restart it
>today and at first I thought it had read my mind and started up on its own.
>Then I realized it had never finished shutting down.  Apparently a program
>was not responding and Windows was asking me what did I want to do?  A
>question like this is probably even more inane of the things Windows may
>ask.  Did it notice the shut down command?  What are the odds that, given my
>command to shut down, I would want to abort the process  because something
>was not responding?  Well, as far as I know there are only two options: (1)
>Wait around for a few hours in the vain hope that the dud program somehow
>revives itself--and then, what, the computer resumes shutting down?  of (2)
>End the program and let the shutdown proceed.  Even if option #1 were
>technically feasible, it would be utter nonsense.  There is no practical
>choice here.
>And in the end, after clicking to End the program, the machine did not shut
>down anyway.  Instead it stopped at an "empty" desktop, i.e., there was my
>desktop picture but without any icons, toolbars, systray, etc.
>Any idea what this is all about?
>I am a PC and I'm trying to figure out how do what I think I am supposed to
>without giving the guy at the keyboard heartburn!

Start > Run > type in REGEDIT and press Enter. Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop and, on the right side
window, locate AutoEndTasks. By default it is 0. Double-click it,
change it to 1, click OK. Reboot. Next time you shut down tasks will
automatically be ended for you.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
0
Thee
1/25/2010 2:38:23 PM
you don't have to wait
for a few hours to test
your power features.

simply go to the power
control panel and temporarily
set them for a lesser time
to shut down.

for example, set the shut
down for 15 minutes and
analyze the issue.

also test the hibernation
feature as well.

the hibernation feature is
a good alternative to the
shut down mode.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am trying to figure out why my computer (XP/SP3) seems to have trouble
> shutting down from time to time.  Several days ago I shut it down.  Or
> thought I did.  Obviously I was in a hurry and did not sit watching it for
> the usual long time the shut down usually takes.  Came back to restart it
> today and at first I thought it had read my mind and started up on its
> own. Then I realized it had never finished shutting down.  Apparently a
> program was not responding and Windows was asking me what did I want to
> do?  A question like this is probably even more inane of the things
> Windows may ask.  Did it notice the shut down command?  What are the odds
> that, given my command to shut down, I would want to abort the process
> because something was not responding?  Well, as far as I know there are
> only two options: (1) Wait around for a few hours in the vain hope that
> the dud program somehow revives itself--and then, what, the computer
> resumes shutting down?  of (2) End the program and let the shutdown
> proceed.  Even if option #1 were technically feasible, it would be utter
> nonsense.  There is no practical choice here.
> And in the end, after clicking to End the program, the machine did not
> shut down anyway.  Instead it stopped at an "empty" desktop, i.e., there
> was my desktop picture but without any icons, toolbars, systray, etc.
> Any idea what this is all about?
> I am a PC and I'm trying to figure out how do what I think I am supposed
> to without giving the guy at the keyboard heartburn!

0
db
1/25/2010 3:16:01 PM
On Jan 24, 9:18=A0pm, "Joe McGuire" <mcguir...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am trying to figure out why my computer (XP/SP3) seems to have trouble
> shutting down from time to time. =A0Several days ago I shut it down. =A0O=
> thought I did. =A0Obviously I was in a hurry and did not sit watching it =
for
> the usual long time the shut down usually takes. =A0Came back to restart =
it
> today and at first I thought it had read my mind and started up on its ow=
n.
> Then I realized it had never finished shutting down. =A0Apparently a prog=
ram
> was not responding and Windows was asking me what did I want to do? =A0A
> question like this is probably even more inane of the things Windows may
> ask. =A0Did it notice the shut down command? =A0What are the odds that, g=
iven my
> command to shut down, I would want to abort the process =A0because someth=
ing
> was not responding? =A0Well, as far as I know there are only two options:=
 (1)
> Wait around for a few hours in the vain hope that the dud program somehow
> revives itself--and then, what, the computer resumes shutting down? =A0of=
 (2)
> End the program and let the shutdown proceed. =A0Even if option #1 were
> technically feasible, it would be utter nonsense. =A0There is no practica=
> choice here.
> And in the end, after clicking to End the program, the machine did not sh=
ut
> down anyway. =A0Instead it stopped at an "empty" desktop, i.e., there was=
 my
> desktop picture but without any icons, toolbars, systray, etc.
> Any idea what this is all about?
> I am a PC and I'm trying to figure out how do what I think I am supposed =
> without giving the guy at the keyboard heartburn!

Have you any other clues?  I have seen that message before and there
is usually a program name or something associated with it.  Sometimes,
it will still shutdown on it's own eventually when it gets tired of
waiting...

It is almost as annoying as coming back after lunch and seeing the
"Click OK to begin scanning your C drive" message.

A program not responding?   What program?

You should not have to edit the registry to change the way shutdown
operates - that is not fixing the problem but fixing the symptom of
the problem.

The "create a desktop shortcut to a batch file" solution may be soon
to follow.

You may also get the idea to run the Windows User Profile Hive Cleanup
Service, which will not hurt anything to try it if it applies to your
environment, but it does add extra overhead to your system in the form
of an Automatic Service you may not really need.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3D1B286E6D-8912-4E=
18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=3Den

Something is wrong and you can fix it.  You should not have to wait
hours (usually) for a proper shutdown to finish the job.

Can you think of any hardware/software updates or installations since
the last time the system shutdown properly?

Is it reproducible?

Have you checked the event log for clues?

Look in the Event Viewer for clues around the time of the incident.

Here is a method to post the specific information about individual
events.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System.
Some logs may be almost or completely empty.
Not every event is a problem, some are informational messages that
things are working okay and some are warnings.
No event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time.  Errors will have red Xs,
Warnings will have yellow !s.
Information messages have white is.  Not every Error or Warning event
means there is a serious issue.
Some are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting.  Try to
find just the events at the date
and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with
more information.  On the right are
black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The
third button that looks like
two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to
your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of
your issue, click the third button
under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can
paste the details (right click, Paste
or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear
the log (backing up the log is offered),
then reproduce your issue, then look at just the events around the
time of your issue.

0
Jose

Email trouble with New User in Active Directory
Below is a trail of posts that have been made. My problem has yet to resolved and I need some help quickly. The only other thing I can think of is to reinstall Exchange Server 2003. Hopefully someone will know the answer. Thanks! Subject: Re: Email not Setup when new user created in Active Directory From: "Bryan Hill" <bthill@comcast.net> Sent: 8/15/2004 12:30:21 PM We have other clients that are working fine. Just when we try to set up new ones - it will create the SMTP address but not the X400 address. I tried manually forcing the X400 but it will...

Trouble with the template.
I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top. This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator Template vis: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop. I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates...

trouble with CrmIsapi.dll
I was experiencing the same problem with the SDK as many have posted to this group ... "the WhoAmI() call results in a http error 405 when running sample code" I followed some of the advice; checked my .srf mapping to CrmIsapi.dll and re-registered the CrmIsapi.dll. when I re-register CrmIsapi.dll I get an error 80004005 - unspecified. ??? I copied it to various places and retried it ... same result. I got the original from the disk and retried ... same result. unmapped it from .srf, restarted and retried to register it ... same result. Anyone experienced this. What's up with m...

IE shuts down
I am using the CRM 3.0 beta. When I log onto the site using IE as soon as I put in the username/password and hit OK IE shuts down. Any ideas? Thanks, Kevin You probably have a popup blocker enabled. Disable it then try again "mcgowankm" <mcgowankm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA06EBD1-24BC-4641-A0A6-96B01A3592E4@microsoft.com... >I am using the CRM 3.0 beta. When I log onto the site using IE as soon as >I > put in the username/password and hit OK IE shuts down. Any ideas? > > Thanks, > Kevin Yes, disable any popup blockers or...

unexpected conversion trouble

Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File
Hi, We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file which is considered archived email data. They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not letting them open the PST file. It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file. Here is the message they receive: "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them." I can't even get it open to delete...

Trouble with Pivot Tables & Named Ranges
Can I use a dynamic named range setup in one file as a range in pivot tables in another file? When I have the data source file (with the named range) and the pivot report files open, the pivot reports update just fine. But the moment I close the source data, the pivot reports no longer can update and I get a message that the source can't be found. If I reopen the source, the pivot tables work fine again - but as soon as I close it up, the reports no longer work. The source file is very large and I don't want to open it every time I have to update all the reports tha...

I am in trouble
Hi, I am a student in Cambodia.I don't have any girlfriend. I tried everything. I looked at them wrote poem to them it doesnt work. I got an account from facebook, hi5 friendster myspace. I have 0 girl friend. What should I do? I am so desperate. I am good looking and 250 kg only. Please help me or at least send me some foood I am hungry Best Regards Hungry Guy __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4944 (20100314) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com You're tr...

Trouble sorting a table???
Using Excel 2002) I am relatively new to Excel and can only really perform simple functions in a basic spreadsheet. The spreadsheet I'm having trouble with is pretty basic, but I'm having trouble sorting some of the results from a table. (I'll try and explain as best as I can) I have 10 people that I'm tracking 5 different things for (dates, debts, credits, items, number of transactions, and their balance as calculated in this table by simple SUM functions) I then have another table with these same 10 people with their total balance. This is the table I'm having t...

trouble
I have been using my MS Publisher 2000 for over 3 years. Just recently I attempted to access the Publisher program and got the following message: "This application must be installed to run. Please run setup fom the location where you originally installed the application." I have done everything I know to fix this including uninstalling and reinstalling the program. I don't understand what happened overnight nor do I understand the instruction "run from the location you originally installed the program". I can not access the numerous publicaions that I have cr...

Trouble with "time" in formulas
I have a time sheet that looks something like this: A1=time...A2=time...A3=A2-A1+if(A1/24,1)...A4=if(or(A3<time(0,15,0),A3>time(4,0,0)),A3,time(4,0,0)) A1 and A2 are set up as dropdown lists and the times in the list are i increments of 15 minutes. WHat I'm trying to accomplish is (in cell A4 if A3 is between 15 minutes and 4 hours, then return 4 hours. if A3 i 0 or greater than 4 hours, return A3. If I enter enter times in A1 around 00:00 and A2 a little after 00:0 it works fine... example: A1=22:00...A2=01:00...A3=03:00...A4=04:00 A1=20:30...A2=00:15...A3=03:45...A4=04:00 A1=00...

Having trouble
I have a set of numbers, a-e. A usually equals e but can be less. B remains constant. C is the sum of A and B. C cannot exceed D. D remains constant I have tried the following formula in the box for A, but C ends up being less than D when I want it to equal D =IF(C>D,E-(C-D)) What am I doing wrong? Uhh, I'm a little slow, but; If you are putting this formula in A and it's the same "A" that is part of the "C=Sum A & B" then I think you have a circular reference. In other words, you're asking xl to resolve "A" by asking "If C> D&quo...

Print Preview troubles
When I do print preview, the information in the scratch area gets overlaid on the document, and there are text boxes where there are none in the work area. In the work area mode, the docs look correct and the stuff I have in the scratch area is OK. It is a scrambled mess. I have used "bring to front" and its' mates-no help. Using Publisher 2002 to create a 8 page booklet on 11x17 stock. I may add: this document had been working but something happened to it, most likely my fault, but I do not know what. Thanks, Jim This was a bug in 2002. Drag the objects to the top or bottom in ...

Trouble with a domain with a
I'm trying to send email to the domain PCM-LWV.COM and I keep getting this NDR: The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address and try again, or contact your system administrator to verify connectivity to the email system of the recipient. < ylpvm25.prodigy.net #5.1.2> Everything seems fine with our exchange 2003 server otherwise. We are receiving email from this domain, and when we reply we get this NDR. We can send email to any other domain.. is it the - in the domain name?? I tes...

CDHTLMDialog troubles
Hi I'm justing to use the CDHTMLDialog with the following code IHTMLElement* pLinkElement = NULL; if (GetElement(_T("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_tb1"), &pLinkElement) == S_OK && pLinkElement != NULL) { BSTR current; pLinkElement->get_innerText(&current); pLinkElement->get_id(&current); CString tt=_T("Hello from Callidus DHTML"); BSTR bstr=tt.AllocSysString(); pLinkElement->put_innerText(bstr); pLinkElement->Release(); // Thanks Heath } Sorry I posted too soon :) ----------------------------------------- I'm just ...

Having trouble connecting to Hotmail?
Add your comments here! Maybe someone at MS will see them and actually DO something. ____________________ Outlook 2007 on Vista Ultimate 32 bit........ I have a paid hotmail account that I have been happily using for 2 years now. I always check it via outlook (2003 and 2007). In 2007, for about the past 45 days, I would get intermittent dialog boxes asking me to confirm my password. I would, and I would select remember this password and things would continue - until about 3 days ago. Then the dialog boxes would not go away in Outlook 2007. It constantly asked me for my password and wo...

Trouble with manifest...
Hello, I want create a MFC application that uses XP styles. When I use the application wizard in VS 2003 and tick the manifest option, it creates an application with a manifest file. The manifest file looks like the ones you can find in exampels and is named "ApplicationName.manifest", located in the "res" directory. "InitCommonControls();" is called in "InitInstance()". So everything looks alright to me, but I build the application and run it on XP it does not have the files. What I am duing wrong here? Regards, Thomas >I want create a MFC a...

Sudden trouble with Entourage and Word for Mac
Hope somebody can help -- here part of my Chat session with Apple Support to explain the situation. Last night, I downloaded the software update that came through on the automatic alert -- I think it was the latest OS X upgrades. At that time I did not restart the computer as I normally do, because I was working on other things. I simply chose the Shut Down option when I was done. This morning I started up again and since I did, I cannot get any of my MS Office for Mac apps to work properly. Since the only thing that changed was that the update was downloaded and must have been installed when...

Trouble sending word document to PC
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I am trying to send word documents to a PC and it opens as a zip drive for the PC and is unreadable. I am using Microsoft word for mac and saving the file as a: Word Document (.docx). What can I do to make the file compatible? The problem is the system and/or the user at the other end. It could be either of several things but without knowing what their software version is or how it's being delivered it's hard to say exactly what they're doing wrong. The OXML (.docx) file is basically a zipped form...

Pasting a chart from Excel 2007 to Word 2007 trouble
This seems like it should be simple!! Why is half of my pie chart disappearing when I try to paste it from excel to word? I have no idea of what is going on. Any ideas? Thanks! Vegas - For me, the best way to paste a chart from Excel 2007 into Word is to select the chart, choose Home | Paste | As Picture | Copy as Picture | etc., select an insertion point in Word, and Edit | Paste. Try the various Copy as Picture options to see which works best for you. - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com "Vegas" <Vegas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C13CFD60-DAA...

trouble accessing written document
trouble accessing written document saved in file that can not access Is this a cryptic crossword clue? Pleaae explain exactly what you are trying to do in which Word version and what happens when you try. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "terrell" <ter...

trouble downloading quotes
Is anyone else having trouble downloading quotes today (1/5/04)? In microsoft.public.money, quest wrote: >Is anyone else having trouble downloading quotes today (1/5/04)? > Yes. Try at a less busy time. Thank-you for your reponse. I did try between 1am - 3am and still saw the same problems. I wonder if it is something specific to me? Thanks again!! "Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message news:b00lvv09d9png114immcs6vqq0sb4h3fcd@4ax.com... > In microsoft.public.money, quest wrote: > > >Is anyone else having trouble downloading...

IMF Trouble
I'm running a SBS 2003 sp1 W/ Exchange 2003 sp2 / IMF / update IMF has not created the ucearchive folder, and is not filtering UCE. I keep finding the following entry in my event log. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: SMTP Protocol Event ID: 7514 Date: 1/24/2006 Time: 6:14:27 PM User: N/A Computer: BLUESKY Description: An error occurred while loading Microsoft Exchange Intelligent Message Filter. The error code is 0x80070570. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. 99% you installed IMFv1 on top of SP2 http://w...

Syncing troubles
I am not able to sync purchased i tunes songs to device via Media player 11. I am getting an error message every time. Ripped CD's are syncing perfectly OK. On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:03:01 -0700, Learner <Learner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am not able to sync purchased i tunes songs to device via Media player 11. >I am getting an error message every time. >Ripped CD's are syncing perfectly OK. I'd be surprised if media player can play them at all ! Apple iTunes stores are protected by FairPlay DRM, which has only one way of playback and Sync...

Trouble linking Windows Mail & AOL
I am trying to send a msg on Craig's List... when I reply to a vendor, I receive a prompt to utilize Windows Mail automatically. When I tried to set up an account on Windows Mail using an AOL address thru IMAP, I got the error below. I have "My server reqrs authentication" checked in properties and I am using "587" as my outgoing smtp port and "143" as incoming imap port. I can see my AOL folders on the Windows Mail box and I can send and receive w/ aol, but when I try to send via WM, the msg sits in the Outbox. Error msg: "XAOL-UAS-M...