System Files

Hello,

I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP Professional CD. I
am trying to create a bootable cd.

Please advise.
--
Mike

Jessica@aol.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP Professional CD. I
> am trying to create a bootable cd.
>
> Please advise.

First of all, I'll have to admit, I've never made a bootable CD
from scratch myself. These are just a few bits and pieces I've noticed
along the way.

It is not simply a matter of "throwing" some files onto a CD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootable_cd

Try figure 1 on page 6 here. This is an archived copy of the El-Torito spec.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070928081155/http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/98D3219C-9CC9-4DF5-B496-A286D893E36A/0/specscdrom.pdf

In terms of learning about the different CD formats, try a utility like
"disktype". For example, I can boot a Linux LiveCD in a VPC2007 session
(using the toram option), and then run "disktype" from in there. In the
following, I include a couple examples of discs I checked, for comparison.
disktype can analyse a great many different file systems, and printing
out CD/DVD structures is only one of its capabilities.

http://disktype.sourceforge.net/

When Microsoft offered a 2GB+ download of Windows 7 last year, I ran
the disktype utility on that image, and this is what it said.

*******
--- 7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso
Regular file, size 2.357 GiB (2530975744 bytes)
UDF file system
   Sector size 2048 bytes
   Volume name "<5500><4400><4600><2000><5600><6F00><6C00><7500><6D00><6500>"
   UDF version 1.02
ISO9660 file system
   Volume name "GRC1CULFRER_EN_DVD"
   Publisher   "MICROSOFT CORPORATION"
   Preparer    "MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052, (425) 882-8080"
   Application "CDIMAGE 2.54 (01/01/2005 TM)"
   Data size 2.357 GiB (2530975744 bytes, 1235828 blocks of 2 KiB)
   El Torito boot record, catalog at 22
     Bootable non-emulated image, starts at 663, preloads 4 KiB
       Platform 0x00 (x86), System Type 0x00 (Empty)
*******

You can see that DVD uses El Torito. And the bootstrap portion does not
use an emulation of a floppy, to do its work. Now, for comparison, this
is the "disktype" output for a dual layer DVD movie I burned. There is
no boot stuff to be seen, in this report. This is effectively a "data" disc.

*******
--- /dev/sr1
Block device, size 7.076 GiB (7597457408 bytes)
CD-ROM, 1 track, CDDB disk ID 02000001
Track 1: Data track, 0 bytes
   UDF file system
     Sector size 2048 bytes
     Volume name "VACATION_2009"
     UDF version 1.02
   ISO9660 file system
     Volume name "VACATION_2009"
     Application "IMGBURN V2.5.0.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!"
     Data size 7.076 GiB (7597410304 bytes, 3709673 blocks of 2 KiB)
*******

So whatever utility you use, to prepare a bootable CD, it involves more than
just the "visible" files on the CD. There is also stuff that needs to be
included for booting, and there are techniques for including it into an
ISO9660 image.

So if you take a Windows installer CD, and copy the files (drag and drop)
to another burnable CD, that won't grab any of the boot structure. You need
a tool. For example, in this description of "isomaster", I see mention of
features needed for boot support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomaster

In the page here, a program called "isobuster" is mentioned. This guy
is building his own bootable CD, and this page describes some
of the details.

http://www.infocellar.com/cd/boot-cd.htm

A utility that copies CDs, will know about the boot stuff and copy
it as well. Copying using just the "visible", file system section
of the CD, won't work by itself.

One other example, for fun. If you download the memtest86+ test
CD, it is an example of bootable media. This one seems to be using
floppy emulation, as near as I can tell. The download size is only
62KB (compressed), so you know there is little in the way of code
inside this thing. Inside this, there is an ".img" the size of a
floppy, but even that is mostly empty. If a bootable CD burning program
like Nero, burns this to disc, it is going to be burning at least
several megabytes worth of sectors, to finish the job.

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.iso.zip

If I open that with 7-ZIP, the structure inside looks like

     BOOT
        BOOT.CAT                2048 bytes
        MEMTEST.IMG          1474560 bytes
     [BOOT]
        Bootable_1.44M.img   1474560 bytes
     README.TXT

The README.TXT file is included, so if the CD is popped into a
running Windows computer, you'll have something to read. It would
be the only "visible" file on the CD. It was placed there, to make
people "comfortable", as a completely empty test CD would scare people.
All of the working bits, of that bootable CD, are hidden. The 1474560 byte
floppy emulation (1440K) is actually mostly empty. A single executable
program hides in there, and it runs the 640x480 VESA screen while
the memory testing is taking place.

So that is an example, of as bare-bones a bootable CD as you can find.
The CD does have a file system, but it was only put there for comfort
and not for function.

Now, how that differs from a Windows installer CD, is in the memtest
case, the bootstrap loader ends up running the computer. On the
Windows CD, the bootstrap loader is only an intermediate step, and
it eventually begins to access the "visible" files on the disk, as a
real OS of some sort is being booted.

My purpose in explaining this, is mainly to point out that a "drag
and drop" copy is not enough. There are some more details.

    Paul
0
Paul
5/1/2010 5:05:31 AM
Jessica@aol.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP
> Professional CD. I am trying to create a bootable cd.
>
> Please advise.

Boot.ini is just a text file that specifies where Windows resides on *your*
system; consequently, you won't find it on your XP CD...look on C:

You shouldn't need it on a boot CD anyway.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
5/1/2010 12:12:10 PM
dadiOH wrote:
> Jessica@aol.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP
>> Professional CD. I am trying to create a bootable cd.
>>
>> Please advise.
>
> Boot.ini is just a text file that specifies where Windows resides on
> *your* system; consequently, you won't find it on your XP CD...look
> on C:
> You shouldn't need it on a boot CD anyway.

What you *do* need are files from a boot *floppy*; however, as Paul pointed
out, just dumping them onto a CD won't make the CD bootable unless you've
made an .iso of the floppy.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
5/1/2010 12:16:50 PM
Jessica@aol.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP
> Professional CD. I am trying to create a bootable cd.

Why are you doing this?

What do you intend to do with it?

Is there a specific type of bootable CD you are trying to create? Bart
PE perhaps?

Please provide more information.

0
Daave
5/2/2010 1:51:50 AM
You don't need to create a bootable CD because your Windows XP
Professional CD is itself a bootable CD.  If you want a CD to
create backup copies of your documents because your system has
become unresponsive or unbootable then I suggest you download
either a Windows Vista Recovery CD or Windows 7 Recovery CD
because these CDs will be able to read the NTFS file System of
Windows XP and allow you to create backups.  Try this link:

<http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/>

Windows 7 Recovery CD Link is at the bottom of the screen.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.
0
LD5SZRA
5/2/2010 2:09:41 AM
In news:O4NFNoZ6KHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Daave <daave@example.com> typed:
> Jessica@aol.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP
>> Professional CD. I am trying to create a bootable cd.
>
> Why are you doing this?
>
> What do you intend to do with it?
>
> Is there a specific type of bootable CD you are trying to
> create? Bart PE perhaps?
>
> Please provide more information.

OP: As you've already been told by another poster, it's not on the CD; it's
created on the hard drive and can be different for different computer
configurations. Pull the one from your boot drive to see it as it needs to
be.

It would have been smart to mention what it is that you're trying to do. Oh,
and ignore LD55ZRA; it seldom gives anything useful.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne

link .pub files
I have produced a series of .pub files [Publisher 2003] for a book - each has illustrations, footnotes etc as separate text or picture boxes. I now want to put all the chapters into a new .pub file so that I can take the complete book to a printer - but I can't find a way to do this! Best 'fix' so far has been to save each chapter as a Word file and import that into a new .pub file. But that does not deal with the pictures, which all have to be re-inserted in the precisely correct position. there MUST be a better way! Or is it another problem with Publisher, like the inabi...

How to lock and unlock the XP system from remote system.
Hi I am writting a program to lock and unlock the remote desptop.For this I need some help related to sending Ctrl+Alt+Del to the remote PC.Can any one help me on the issue. Regards Prashant Sharma Yes. Find something else to do with your time. You keep trying to do something that any decent security system forbids. There is already remote access. See if you can find APIs relating to remote access. But I suspect that you will discover that Windows security is going to make this task impossible. joe On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:19:31 +0530, "ISDC" <satish7684@hotmail.com&...

where to write temporary files?
hello experts, I am developing a software and I need to create a couple of temp files when the program is running. I need a piece of advice regarding the best place to put them: - Windows\temp directory - User directory - Program directory - ?? Needless to say, the directory must exist and the user must have the appropriate permissions. What are the good practices regarding this question ? Thanks Phil On Mon, 5 May 2008 08:43:18 -0700 (PDT), Phil <pbruyant@yahoo.com> wrote: >hello experts, >I am developing a software and I need to create a couple of temp files >when >the pr...

How to impersonate to Local System Account (SYSTEM)
My service is configurated as the Administrators acount. I need to impersonate the service to Local System Account (SYSTEM) in some circumtances. How? Thanks very very much indeed lauch ...

working with temporary working files.. #2
I keep getting the message that I cannot save a temp. working file. This work has been save on a cd and transfered back on to my desk top. Help Right-click the file, properties, see if "read only" is checked. This happens when a file is saved to a CD. Save the file on your hard drive and then copy it to the CD. Publisher does not like saving to removable media. Delete all the temporary (.tmp) files that are located in the Windows\Temp folder. For information about how to delete files, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type deleting files, and then click Display. --...

Search and copy files. Look up destination folder in a range
I need help in doing this: I have an excel worsheet that have columns for destination folder and corresponding file to search for. The files to be search for will have wild cards e.g *total*.*. What I want to do is create a macro that will search for call values in a range, copy the result of the search to the corresponding destination folder for example column A(files to search for) column(Destination folder) column c (source always c:\documents) *total*.* total_cost c:\documents *accounts*.* ...

Error opening File
I keep getting the message "Publisher cannot open files from a different version". I am running PUB'98 and assume that the files are in '97 format but cannot find a way to open them or import them. If I try selecting file from the Pub browser then it can preview the object but I still cannot open it. Please help someone as this is getting damn frustrating! Thanks What makes you "assume" the files are Pub 97? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jim hooper" <JH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3ceb01c47f26$b2636640$...

Integration with legacy systems
Hello there. 've seen there is an integration between Microsoft CRM and MS Great Plains. I need to do a similar integration beetween Microsoft CRM and a local System ERP named Diapason. The customer shoul be created by MS CRM. passed to the ERP. Updated tin the ERP and then updated automatically in the MS CRM. Order born in CRM. When approved, tehy should send to the ERP. The ERP create the invoice and send the invoice to MS CRM. Price list is managed by the ERP, imported in MS CRM and when updated in ERO, should be updated automatically in CRM. Customer are updated in ERP and shou...

excel causing system to be in low system resource
Hi all. Whenever i open my excel application, i am always prompted low system resource and have to exit the application. However all my other office applications like word, access work fine when i open them. I face similar problems before and i reinstall excel to solve the problem. Is there a better solution which can solve this problem once and for all? Thks in advance ...

overriding the print button and File/Print
Hello: I have a model that I want to override the ability to print only one page. The model has 3 pages and the first page needs to be printed first always before any of the others. Can a macro be written that attaches to the model that only allows printing from a custom print macro? Or, something that when the user hits the toolbar print button (or File...Print...) the model always prints the first page too? Yes - use this Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub Put this in the module attached to this workbook in the VBE and it disables printing from th...

Customizing File Dialog
Hi all: I am trying to customize the file dialog. To do this, I have learned, you provide a template that contains only the additional controls that you want. By default, these controls appear below the normal file dialog controls, which is what I want. However, when the Places bar is present, it extends only to the bottom of the original controls, and my controls span the full width of the dialog, which is not what I want. Does anybody know how to fix this? I am actually using VC6, but I have previously customized the normal file dialog to show the Places bar on OS's that permit...

Trust access to visual basic project in XP systems
we have 2000 OS in some system and XP in some system .Excel in XP system not have checkbox (Trust access to visual Basic Project) for macros . Because of the this i think vb exe which is try to run excel macro are failing. can any one hlep me. This is a setting that each user must change. So I think you'll have to educate the users to change this setting before your VB program can run. kasi wrote: > > we have 2000 OS in some system and XP in some system .Excel in XP system not > have checkbox (Trust access to visual Basic Project) for macros . > Because of the this i...

Sig file "could not be located."
I created a new sig file (actually to get rid of Active-X controls), and I selected this sig for both new messages and for replies and forwards. When I create a new message, it works fine; but when I reply to a message, I get an error that the named sig could not be located, and it gets removed from my "Signature for new messages" setting. (That gets switched to "<None>", but my "Signature for replies and forwards" setting is unchanged). I have tried both renaming and copying the sig file to other named files and switching both settings to the new file nam...

can all the dowloads ihave in the system can they be moved
Iwant to take all downloads that have failed and all downloads that have errors with them Where would you like to take them? Buckingham Palace? "steve.vickers2010@live.co.uk" <steve.vickers2010@live.co.uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:208855E4-BD3F-4C3D-A817-C0DC8CB6BCF9@microsoft.com... : Iwant to take all downloads that have failed and all downloads that have : errors with them Windows version is...? If you want to delete what you see in Update History, I can tell you how to do that. steve.vickers2010@live.co.uk wrote: > I...

Help Importing Text File!
Hello, I am new to excel and could really use some help. I have a plain tex file that I would like to import into Excel --but the problem is th text was copied from a webpage and there is no delimited formatting (extra spaces, lines etc.) i.e. I want to create a book database with this info. But the followin was copied like this: Author Name Location Books Writen Publisher I would need to somehow put each line into a column. This is a hug text file formatted like the example above. Could this be done possibl by using a macro? If anyone could help me out (or if you need more info) please ...

Sending jpg files
I installed sp2 a few days ago and had some problems so I uninstalled it. Since then, when I send pictures to someone they are not received as jpg files. They lack the jpg extension. If I manually add the extension in the pictures "properties" before sending it, it arrives with the extension .jpg[1] and still does not open properly. Any ideas on how to have this go out and arive as jpg files? Many thanks. DId you find out what the problem is cause i am having th esame trouble "James" wrote: > I installed sp2 a few days ago and had some problems so I &g...

Total Communications System & MS CRM 3.0
To Anyone: I am trying to find a complete "converged communications" system that has complete integration with MS CRM 3.0 as well as an open API that I can further integrate into my business applications. I am finding a lot of sales pitches but no hard facts and confirmed installs. Can anyone point me ? Anthony DeHart try www.genesyslabs.com ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D009397A-044A-482E-97F8-D2BADC9A6A15@microsoft.co...

Is my file corrupted?
We moved from an Excel 2003 to Excel 2007 file (we work on Office 2007 and were having compatibility issues). The file size doubled and some things became very slow. Pasting things took 5-10 seconds per cell. Pasting rows would cause the document to not respond and it'd have to be shut down. Is the file corrupt? What would cause this? One thing I would recommend to do is that once you open your (old) excel spreadsheet and click on " save as" and make sure to save it as a new office excel(new office 2007 format). Then make changes and see if the problem still pers...

[cont'd] can't open a retrieved Money file nor its backup
Hi Cal, I haven't heard back from you, so I'm just sending my last question again, below. [I messed up the order of the posts because I sent 2 replies to one of your posts!] mjl ~~~~~ Hi Cal, I don't have a Flash drive, but I tried opening it from my FireLite external harddrive (also has FAT files), but it acted the same way and gave me the same message. When I tried to restore the backup from the Firelite, it also acted as before and failed. I'm so discouraged..... Maryellen -- lewisma9 ...

File system
Hi I am havimg some problem in booting WindowCE 4.2 . The bootup failed in filesystem 1. can anyone help me how to debug the error or where area in windowce I should zoom into for susch problem The ouput of error message is given below FMD::FMD_Init FMD_ReadSector() ######## BLOCK 10 FMD_ReadSector() ######## BLOCK 10 Data Abort: Thread=8feec5d0 Proc=8e028b58 'filesys.exe' AKY=ffffffff PC=8c233c78 RA=8c233c00 BVA=04000000 FSR=00000007 Data Abort: Thread=8feec5d0 Proc=8e028b58 'filesys.exe' AKY=ffffffff PC=8c2169d8 RA=8c216a38 BVA=04000019 FSR=00000003 D...

Import txt file
Hi all, How can I import a text file (tab delimited) with over 400 columns. (Excel only contain 200 something). Your help will be appreciated. Billy Hi you can't in Excel. You have to split the data at least in two worksheets -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Billy Leung wrote: > Hi all, > > How can I import a text file (tab delimited) with over 400 columns. > (Excel only contain 200 something). Your help will be appreciated. > > > Billy Thanks, Frank, But, how can I split the text file in the first place? Billy ***********************************...

using access as a content management system for documents
Hello got a question for you all, I am using access to create a content management solution. initially it seems pretty easy i would create a table for each type of document template. and the fields in the table would be the different sections within the template. the data in the fields would be the content this goes with those specific sections in the document. basically i would have a report that puts all the fields together in the correct order and export that to a word document. here is my problem.. some of my data includes bullet points Bold letter and different colors.. is there anyw...

2 gb pst file
i am desktop support for 5000 users, those pst files drive me nut, pst files keep corrupt it. i use scanpst.exe scan the pst files sometimes it work someimes it does not work, do you have better program to fix this on going problem. what is the limit size for pst files. 2GB for Outlook 97-2002 files. "Unlimited" for Outlook 2003 files When a pst-file reaches the 2GB you'll need to crop it with this tool; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=B33B1DFF-6F50-411D-BBDF-82019DDA602E -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com ...

Excel opened a file but did not show it's contents
Hi all, One of my colleagues tried to open an Excel file. Excel opened the file (no error was shown up) but it didn't show the contents of the file. If you have 2 files originally opened in Excel, Excel only shown those 2 file windows in it. The newly opened one disappeared. Have anyone of you came across this before? Any ideas to fix the problem are welcome. TIA el Does this mean you looked under the Window option on the menubar and didn't see all the workbooks that you think you opened? If you could see the name, maybe it's just off the visible screen: Window|Arrange|ti...

Import Requisitions Into System For Approval
We have a database of registrants for different events and were hoping it was possible to import certain hotel and other expenditure requests into the requisition system for approval. Is there a way to import this data instead of manually create a requisition in the system, and then to route it for approval. Thanks for your help. Graham ...