Svhost.exe using 100% Processor on XP Professional

I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003
Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec
Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.

This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the system
boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is
using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in business.

I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the
machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no
threats, also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear.
There are a lot of ideas on the net as to how to fix this ---- just wondering
if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolved. Any assistance
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Google for Svhost. Also try the system with Symantec disabled.
"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003
> Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec
> Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.
>
> This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the
> system
> boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is
> using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in
> business.
>
> I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the
> machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no
> threats, also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear.
> There are a lot of ideas on the net as to how to fix this ---- just
> wondering
> if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolved. Any
> assistance
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

0
Unknown
7/14/2010 9:08:00 PM
On Jul 14, 4:38=A0pm, Bob <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003
> Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec
> Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.
>
> This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the sys=
tem
> boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is
> using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in busine=
ss.

> I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the
> machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no
> threats, also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear.
> There are a lot of ideas on the net as to how to fix this ---- just wonde=
ring
> if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolved. Any assista=
nce
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Did any of those ideas have a happy ending?

You should normally see several svchost,exe in Task Manager (if that
is where you are looking).  If you are curious why that is, read this
article:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html

Malicious software will sometimes hide underneath or hijack a
legitimate XP svchost.exe process.  Sometimes malicious software will
run using a Process Image Name that looks like a legitimate process in
order to fool you.  If you really see svhost.exe, that sounds
suspicious.

I would not put all your malicious software detection eggs in the
Symantec basket.

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining
issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

If you have the same problem, we can then figure it out and fix it
(not try things).
0
Jose
7/14/2010 9:27:21 PM
Bob - svchost functions as a "host container" for threads being executed -
several will be "running".  Usually malware  will have names similar to
system files.  Is the title you posted "svhost"  correct?  If so it is
likely malware. or did you intend to mean "svchost"?

There are several utilities - "process monitor"  in particular - at
Sysinternals site that will permit pinpointing the problem.

0
Al
7/14/2010 10:42:55 PM
Nevertheless, there is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of
a hijackware infection!

Windows.  A Repair Install will NOT help!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!  You may need to download the

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now post the requested logs in an appropriate forum for assistance by an
expert in such matters. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

I can recommend the expert assistance offered in these forums:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php, and
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30

Bob wrote:
> I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003
> Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec
> Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.
>
> This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the
> system
> boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is
> using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in
> business.
>
> I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the
> machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no
> threats, also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear.
> There are a lot of ideas on the net as to how to fix this ---- just
> wondering if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolved.
> Any
> assistance would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

0
PA
7/15/2010 1:23:22 AM
>I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003
>Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec
>Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.
>
>This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the system
>boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is
>using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in business.
>
>I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the
>machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no
>threats, also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear.
>There are a lot of ideas on the net as to how to fix this ---- just wondering
>if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolved. Any assistance
>would be appreciated.

Hi,

Go and grab the following hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897571

In the hotfix, it contains the most current svchost.exe file (build
5.1.2600.5689). See if that helps you any. Let me know how it goes.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
0
Thee
7/15/2010 2:45:57 PM
>I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003
>Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec
>Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.
>
>This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the system
>boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is
>using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in business.
>
>I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the
>machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no
>threats, also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear.
>There are a lot of ideas on the net as to how to fix this ---- just wondering
>if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolved. Any assistance
>would be appreciated.

Also, what is the exact version of SEP you have installed? The current
version is 11.0.6005.562.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
0
Thee
7/15/2010 2:48:38 PM

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Bob wrote:
> > I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003
> > Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec
> > Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.
> >
> > This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the
> > system
> > boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is
> > using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in
> > business.
> >
> > I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the
> > machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no
> > threats, also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear.
> > There are a lot of ideas on the net as to how to fix this ---- just
> > wondering if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolved.

Thank you for the replies all ----

I did spell the name wrong, the Process that we end in Task manager is
spelled ------  svchost.exe

Concerning the Symantec software ---  it does have Antivus and Antispyware
protection, the corporate subscription is up to date, the definitions are up
to date daily, and I apply all MS patches via WSUS.

Now this morning --- the user did not have any problems with it robbing
their processor. I will download/run the mentioned scans to see if anything
found on the system.

Bob

On Jul 15, 1:38=A0pm, Bob <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > wondering if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolve=
d.
> > > Any
> > > assistance would be appreciated.
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bob
>
> > .
>
> Thank you for the replies all ----
>
> I did spell the name wrong, the Process that we end in Task manager is
> spelled ------ =A0svchost.exe
>
> Concerning the Symantec software --- =A0it does have Antivus and Antispyw=
are
> protection, the corporate subscription is up to date, the definitions are=
 up
> to date daily, and I apply all MS patches via WSUS.
>
> Now this morning --- the user did not have any problems with it robbing
> their processor. I will download/run the mentioned scans to see if anythi=

See all the rookus caused by your typo?!

Just kidding...  we have almost all seen (and fixed) a system that has
a runaway svchost.exe.  It is always explainable.

After scanning with MBAM and SAS, if you still have the issues:

....you should get Process Explorer so you can see what is "really"
running, especially behind those multiple svchosts you see running in
Task Manager.  You'll like PE when you get the hang of it.  PE is the
Windows Task manager on steroids.  PE installs nothing, and only runs
on demand.  It looks a little intimidating, but you will start to like
the way it works.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Using PE and the info from the other link I sent will help you see
what is going on and then you can fix it instead of trying things.
0
Jose
7/15/2010 6:11:51 PM
Bob wrote:
>> Nevertheless, there is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects
>> of a hijackware infection!
<snip>
> I did spell the name wrong, the Process that we end in Task manager is
> spelled ------  svchost.exe

I assumed such was the case.

0
PA
7/15/2010 7:07:49 PM
Jose wrote:
<SNIP>
> See all the rookus caused by your typo?!

Ur spiel chukkers broke.
0
PA
7/15/2010 7:08:21 PM
On Jul 15, 3:08=A0pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > See all the rookus caused by your typo?!
>
> Ur spiel chukkers broke.

That is Festus Haggen speak.  S'way we tawk out cheer in Dodge.
0
Jose
7/15/2010 8:57:28 PM
Jose wrote:
> On Jul 15, 3:08 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jose wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> See all the rookus caused by your typo?!
>>
>> Ur spiel chukkers broke.
>
> That is Festus Haggen speak.  S'way we tawk out cheer in Dodge.

Did Matt ever find Miss Kitty's lost pussy?
0
PA
7/15/2010 10:02:24 PM
On Jul 15, 6:02=A0pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jose wrote:
> > On Jul 15, 3:08 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Jose wrote:
>
> >> <SNIP>

> >> Ur spiel chukkers broke.
>
> > That is Festus Haggen speak. =A0S'way we tawk out cheer in Dodge.
>
> Did Matt ever find Miss Kitty's lost pussy?

Look, Bear...  It's almost 6:30.   By midnight, I want you to ride
down that street and out of town. And if you come back, you're going
to jail.
0
Jose
7/15/2010 10:22:54 PM
Jose wrote:

>>> That is Festus Haggen speak. S'way we tawk out cheer in Dodge.
>>
>> Did Matt ever find Miss Kitty's lost pussy?
>
> Look, Bear...  It's almost 6:30.   By midnight, I want you to ride
> down that street and out of town. And if you come back, you're going
> to jail.

Buy me a <hic> drink and a bar girl then we'll talk...
0
PA
7/16/2010 12:37:55 AM
On Jul 14, 1:38=A0pm, Bob <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003
> Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec
> Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.
>
> This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the sys=
tem
> boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is
> using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in busine=
ss.

> I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the
> machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no
> threats, also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear.
> There are a lot of ideas on the net as to how to fix this ---- just wonde=
ring
> if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolved. Any assista=
nce
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I had the EXACT same problem with my WinXP system, got no help here -
only told it was likely a malware, or such, infection, jumped through
many,many hoops looking and searching for an infection, and found
none, but problem continued.

The Windows98 group helped me by telling me it had something to do
with the system legitmately looking everywhere for a driver, or
something.  After I disabled the software that asked for that search,
all the svchost.exe CPU hogging problems magically went away!
0
Robert
7/16/2010 5:58:45 PM
On Jul 15, 8:37=A0pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Did Matt ever find Miss Kitty's lost pussy?
>
> > Look, Bear... =A0It's almost 6:30. =A0 By midnight, I want you to ride
> > down that street and out of town. And if you come back, you're going
> > to jail.
>
> Buy me a <hic> drink and a bar girl then we'll talk...

Miss Kitty, bring me a bottle of Kessler and half a dozen of yo'
finest females.
0
Jose
7/17/2010 12:27:20 PM
On 7/16/2010 10:58 AM, Robert Macy wrote:
> On Jul 14, 1:38 pm, Bob<B...@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote:
>> I have one desktop that is running XP Professional SP3 on a server 2003
>> Domain, all security patches are up to date, all systems run Symentec
>> Endpoint Protection 11.0.5.
>>
>> This one system starting using 100% processor for svhost.exe when the system
>> boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is
>> using all of the processor, end that task, and the user is back in business.
>>
>> I saw some information on the net that is may be a virus --- I boot the
>> machine up in safe mode, with system restore off, ran a full scan and no
>> threats, also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear.
>> There are a lot of ideas on the net as to how to fix this ---- just wondering
>> if anyone ran into this problem and if successfully resolved. Any assistance
>> would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>
> I had the EXACT same problem with my WinXP system, got no help here -
> only told it was likely a malware, or such, infection, jumped through
> many,many hoops looking and searching for an infection, and found
> none, but problem continued.
>
> The Windows98 group helped me by telling me it had something to do
> with the system legitmately looking everywhere for a driver, or
> something.  After I disabled the software that asked for that search,
> all the svchost.exe CPU hogging problems magically went away!

interesting... care to share how you figured out which software was
doing all the calling?

sean

0
sean

Which QIF transactions to use to import short sales?
I am attempting to import a QIF file of stock transactions into Money 2004. My long buys and sells work fine, but I am having trouble having Money recognise short sales and buys. Through trial and error, the closest I got was using transaction QIF transaction of Sell "NSell" which works for the initial short sale, but following it with a Buy "NBuy" does not result in Money recognizing this as a buy to cover. I tried using "NCover Short" and it seemed to be rejected. So right now, I have to manually go in and correct each Buy to Cover. Is there a Money refere...

Using tree view in access
I don't know if what I'm attempting is possible in Access but here goes. I have an application in Access 2003 that uses two tabs (pages). On one I have text boxes, an unbound combo box and and an image control. I have set the path in code and linked one of the fields in the table to the image files so when the corresponding record is pulled up the image is displayed. On the second tab (page) I have placed a tree view control and would like for the end users to be able to scroll to the desired location on the network or designated drive (i.e. C:\images) and have the images...

Send / Receive not Automatic in Outlook XP
I am using the new Outlook xp, and when I logon to my exchange server, I don't automatically get my email (until I perform a send / receive). Is there a feature I can turn on or off to get the email automatically? Thanks, John Try - Outlook/Options/General tab and click the middle box - send messages at startup. "John C. Weldin" <jweldin@focusbsi.com> wrote in message news:eyjG%23mx7DHA.1672@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I am using the new Outlook xp, and when I logon to my exchange server, I > don't automatically get my email (until I perform a send / receive)...

How do I get excel to create an email using Outlook?
I am using Excel 2003 and need to get the spreadsheet to generate an email using Outlook when a cell reaches a specific value i.e. date to several different email addresses. ...

How do I use the autofilter to sort a list
How do I use the autofilter to sort a list You don't. Autofilter is used to filter a list. Data - Sort is used to sort a list. HTH Otto "cookie" <cookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A04C6E7-C110-4260-8EC2-05DDE94D0BEF@microsoft.com... > How do I use the autofilter to sort a list Depends on the version of excel you're using. If you apply the data|filter|autofilter to the list, do you see "Sort ascending" and "sort descending" at the top of the list when you use the arrow in the header? cookie wrote: > > How ...

246 Special Fonts.exe (7/7)
=ybegin part=7 line=128 size=1593911 name=246 Special Fonts.exe =ypart begin=1497601 end=1593911 �C[=@a=}�/��`�5Ҵ�b��,�'���r�?������/��3NV���q���w�3x��`A���7,$D2=J_SOfu�4p�"��Z&N�褜#-n���̷�@��r�/��5�QҬу��� I͠)?{7@�%��[�ym�z��^�~�:���ڑYdkŝ��� Dx���@3��8�p+�"y��$E�ޓeْ2�b<=}STTY]�=@T9W�6����P�%��C��^o�x+1��c�5[O|N�I�KD xb��1Œ�bz$Ӭk�#⺶H���C:��h��,E�?�\?���~��0볈�j�+���T���ay�$���Y%��-��5���<=}�i+�?O�7�#�m�%V�d��9Bc>Qv_;=}�V��w� ��&�S�F6����3���/;^�n�x��=J���>�$��H���WK�\�-�v�+:dyw�=J��A���n���J-����J�haak�]w���e��Z�f...

Used Users' Poem
Used Users' Poem (inspired by true experiences with Microsoft products) ------------------------------------------------------------------------- While rushing to client, no moment to spare I hurried to finish a job in despair. Trying to upload some files to my site... Nothing was happening, try as I might! I pounded and shouted and yelled at the screen, But this did not work it to well it would seem. So I thought a download would fix me up quick, But I should have beaten myself with a stick. The ftp download wiped out my accounts, It clobbered my passwords and ate all my fonts. So I ...

scanpst.exe
Is not on my system. How do I get it? MS Office 2k pro. Turn on searching hidden/system folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Al Slocumb asked: | Is not on my system. How do I get it? | | MS Office 2k pro. Show hidden is already turned on. Please, it ain't here. How do I get it?? "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@don...

Can I Use VBA to filter Incoming Mails?
Microsoft Outlook does provides spam filtering feature. But I think it just provides basic functionalities, and not adequate to filter today's sophisticated spams. For example, I receive the same type spams over and over again but there's no way to block it with Outlook's filter. Those spams are... Type 1) With no title, no sender - No option for "black subject" Type 2) One single add image linked external URL - No option for filtering HTML source Type 3) Mails with meaningless strings in subject or body Like "Re:Document xewxz...

suddenly when i use formula it just show
pls help me on this, somehow when i use formula, to link to existing box with formula, the result will be 0. plss help it kind of urgent here... Try to explain in a little different way please. ...

Install OH & S 07 with 03 Trial Installed (XP)
Expired 2003 Office Trial on laptop with XP oper. sys. I want to install my 2nd home license of OH & S 2007 (full version, not an upgrade). What steps should I take and in what order? Thanks. Uninstall the Trial & any Activation Assistant, reboot, run MSUpdate for critical updates, then install 2007 "zeke" <zeke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9A2EDD9-F516-4BA9-9475-6158ADDD25C4@microsoft.com... > Expired 2003 Office Trial on laptop with XP oper. sys. I want to install > my > 2nd home license of OH & S 2007 (full versi...

Accessing OWA using Japanese OS
Hello all, First off thanks to anyone who posts a reply. The issue is when replying/sending in OWA from a Japense version Windows OS produces an error that once clicked disappers and you cannot reply/send. I'm currently waiting for a screen shot of the error which i will need to get translated to English. I will post the error once i get it. I checked MS KB 830827 and OWA is configured to use unicode (UseRegionalCharset=1). This is a W2k3 server running E2k3 Sp1 with FBA enabled. Any help will be greatly appreciated. J Did you find any resolution? I am having the same proble...

how do i use the R[]C[] notation in visual basic, for example to .
Trying to write a macro... want certain value to be assigned to cells on different rows according to a counter, so would be useful to use the R[]C[] notation to assign a value to a cell. I can use for example cell("D3").value = 5 But how would I write something like cell(R[3]C[4]).value = 5 The compiler rejects the example above... what is the right way of using the Row/Column notation in Visual Basic for Excel? You can use the Cells property: Cells(3, 4).Value = 10 pacheco wrote: > Trying to write a macro... want certain value to be assigned to cells on > diff...

.NET-BroadcastEventWindow.1.0.5000.0.2f: EXCEL.EXE
My Windows 2000 system suddenly started giving this error message whenever I log in. I do not launch Excel before getting this error: ..NET-BroadcastEventWindow.1.0.5000.0.2f: EXCEL.EXE - Application Error The instruction at "0x308f3c7c" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program Click CANCEL to debug the program [OK] [Cancel] Why am I getting this error, and how can I fix it? I noticed that after I click OK, Task Manager shows one or two copies of EXCEL.EXE still running. But I did not (knowingly) ...

Using SSL with Outlook
Hi, I just found the initial question from Andi Dunstan (2004/03/17) but I'm afraid it does not answer my question:-( I'm having trouble to connect to our IMAP and SMTP servers over TLS/SSL where TLS/SSL is configured to require client authentication - what happens is that Outlook 6 and also Outlook Express 6 refuse to send the appropriate certificate. As a quick test I tried to connect with IE via https to the secure IMAP port. In the course of the SSL connection setup I was asked to select one of my installed certificates (actually, only the appropriate one showed up). After ...

2000 Deluxe & Windows XP looks for disk at start up.
Installing 2000 Deluxe on XP Pro system works for awhile then spontaneously starts to look for a disk on startup. The msgbox caption is "No Disk" and the message is something like "Msmoney.exe Put disk in drive D:" The program will open after Ignoring, Retrying or Canceling the prompt. Its just annoying. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a command line switch that might fix the issue. Thanks lemo In microsoft.public.money, Lemo wrote: >Installing 2000 Deluxe on XP Pro system works for awhile then spontaneously >starts to look for a disk on startup. The m...

Excel VBA
Hi, How to import text file to Excel worksheet using VB? Can I use a for menu to execute this process? Please give me some ideas of doing it. have attached a text file for your reference. Thanks! AN -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com >>How to import text file to Excel worksheet using VB? Record a macro as you do it manually with File, Open. Pick the appropriate file type from the drop down. That will give you a good start. >>Can I use a form menu to execute this process? form menu? No such thing. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "annsmjarm >" <<an...

Number entries are automatically divided by 100
For some mystical reason, all of my numerical entries into an Excel 2003 spreadsheet are being divided by 100. For example, if I enter 1025, the number 10.25 will appear in the cell. This "divide by 100" situation happens on ALL of my spreadsheets - even ones that were working fine previously. To my knowledge, I have not made any changes to the program settings. Any help is appreciated. Chuck Click Tools/Options on the menu bar, select the Edit tab and remove the check mark from the checkbox that is labeled "Fixed decimal". Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel) "Chu...

Store.exe process faulting
Recently the store.exe has been faulting with this error.. Source:Application Error Event ID: 1000 Faulting application store.exe, version 6.5.7638.2, faulting module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.3790.1830, fault address 0x00026f76. I've seen posts that range from a malformed message to database corruption. The nightly online defragmentations run w/o any errors. Also I've exported out all the mailboxes via ExMerge successfully w/o ANY errors (My understanding is if there is a corrupt message, exporting will reveal it). I've combed the W3SVC1 logs (as we have some Entourage/ActiveSync/...

error while running an exe file in another computer
hi guyss I am in a grt problem. when i use installshield to build the setup file of my project, i follow all the steps required properly. after that the setup file is also created but when i install it neither it comes in the "all program". also when i install it in any other computer not having vc++ after installation when i click the exe file to run it gives an error of a missing dll file like mfs42d.dll but i have included this dll file while making the setup. please help as soon as possible as i have to submit the project by a week. Thanksss "Sonu" <getsonu@gmai...

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

rundll32.exe
what exactly is the purpose of the program rundll32.exe on win2k I think that it can be used to call a function in a DLL from the command line. There are probably more uses to it though. <anonymous@coolgroups.com> wrote in message news:27b37821068580e4a2a472ce8b521625@news.scbiz.com... > what exactly is the purpose of the program rundll32.exe on > win2k > what exactly is the purpose of the program rundll32.exe on > win2k Provides a way for a dll to be stand-alone dll apps to programmer and user(only one file(prog.dll) must be move and not two files(startprog.exe and pro...

Using Fill to Increment Cell References
In the first column of my spreadsheet (coumn A), every third row of my spreadsheet contains information that needs to be linked to a different location in my sheet. For example, A1, A4 and A7 contain the information that needs to be referenced. In D1, I would like type "=A1", in D2 I would like to type "=A4". Ideally, I would like to fill down and have the cell references increment to A7, A10, etc. Is this possible? Thank you for your suggestions. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Type in the A1 and the A4 with out the equal signs. Select both, fi...

Cost of Goods Sold Calculation using Average Valuation Method -
Can someone describe how GP calculates Cost of Goods sold for manufactured finished goods? Specifically when using FIFO/LIFO/Average Perpetual inventory valuation. thanks. It's fairly detailed how GP does the calculations. Rather than explain it here, you'd be well-served to download the white paper on inventory costing. You can send me an e-mail message and I will send it to you. Remove the nospam portion. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Russ" wrote: > Can someone describe how GP calculates Cost of Goods sold for manufactured > finished goods? Specifically w...

Installation of Office XP SP3 issue...
I am using the Outlook 2002 client. Since I have installed Office XP "Service Pack 3", I have noticed that each time a mail message arrives in my mailbox, a window pop's up stating that ... A program is trying to access email addresss you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? etc... This is really annoying. How do I turn this off?? Thanks, Brad See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outl...