sp3 install/uninstall problem

Hi all
I need to revert back to ie6 from ie7 but have to uninstall sp3 first.
Here is my problem
Winver and add or remove programs both tell me that SP3 is installed, but
when I attempt to uninstall SP3 the computer tells me it cannot be unnstalled
because it is NOT INSTALLED.
Appreciate any helpful response.
TIA.
OS  Winxp Pro, Media Center Edition
franktee
KWV

What problems are you having that you think uninstalled IE7 might resolve?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer?

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

   • How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer as a
troubleshooting step
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

franktee wrote:
> I need to revert back to ie6 from ie7 but have to uninstall sp3 first.
> Here is my problem
> Winver and add or remove programs both tell me that SP3 is installed, but
> when I attempt to uninstall SP3 the computer tells me it cannot be
> unnstalled because it is NOT INSTALLED.
> Appreciate any helpful response.
> TIA.
> OS  Winxp Pro, Media Center Edition

0
PA
8/7/2010 12:39:13 AM
How to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What problems are you having that you think uninstalled IE7 might resolve?

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> computer?
>
> Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
> bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)
>
>    • How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer as a
> troubleshooting step
>       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> franktee wrote:
> > I need to revert back to ie6 from ie7 but have to uninstall sp3 first.
> > Here is my problem
> > Winver and add or remove programs both tell me that SP3 is installed, but
> > when I attempt to uninstall SP3 the computer tells me it cannot be
> > unnstalled because it is NOT INSTALLED.
> > Appreciate any helpful response.
> > TIA.
> > OS  Winxp Pro, Media Center Edition
>
> .
> Problem solved
Did a repair install which returned me to ie6 and sp2.
Then reinstalled sp3.
Thanks for all responses.
franktee wrote:
>>> I need to revert back to ie6 from ie7 but have to uninstall sp3 first.
>>> Here is my problem
>>> Winver and add or remove programs both tell me that SP3 is installed,
>>> but
>>> when I attempt to uninstall SP3 the computer tells me it cannot be
>>> unnstalled because it is NOT INSTALLED.
>>> Appreciate any helpful response.
 OS  Winxp Pro, Media Center Edition

>> What problems are you having that you think uninstalled IE7 might
>> resolve?

>> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>
>> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>> computer?
>>
>> Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when
>> you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)
>>
>>    • How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer as a
>> troubleshooting step
>>       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
>>

> Problem solved
> Did a repair install which returned me to ie6 and sp2.
> Then reinstalled sp3.

[OK, we'll bottom-post]

Good luck with that!

   • How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version
of Internet Explorer is installed
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

See this recent, related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/de6ac8ecded1e8ac
--
~PA Bear

0
PA

E03sp2 FE -BE/GC RPC Problem
Current setup: Both Exch03 sp2 behind Firewall and IDP Ports 80 and 443 open to FE We recently created the FE server, moving RPC and OWA to it to increase performance. Previously had single server RPC over HTTP working. RPC over HTTP using 3rd party Cert SSL configured and working for existing clients. Unable to create new profiles. Been through http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827330/en-us#XSLTH4234121123120121120120 https://fqdn.domain.com/rpc gives expected ACL result https://fqdn.domain.com/rpc/rpcproxy.dll gives expected blank page w/ lock RPCPing.exe returns successful RPC P...

Coding Problem
I'm using Access 2003. I'm having problems when I try to type some code. Example, in the click event I code a button to close a form. I'll type docmd. then the docmd text and dot will turn red. You don't get the dropdown list of events. If I continue to type close then space the dropdown list appears. But after I type acf everything disappears. To continue I'll have to type the orm,. After a few seconds all the text turns red again. This doesn't happen all the time. One minute everything is fine and the next the problem is back. I've tried un-installing and r...

Install Hang
This one is driving me mad! I'm trying to install Exchange 2003 Enterprise on a very simply network (a firewall, a domain controller and an exchange box). Yet I can't get passed ForestPrep. It gets to "Configuring registry entries for Microsoft Windows Active Directory schema update", then just hangs. I have added all logical updates. The outputs of dcdiag and netdiag are fine. In the Exchange Server Setup Process log the last line is "Process Created .... Waiting (-1)", and then nothing. Does anyone have any idea? Take a look at the Exchange Setup Log in th...

SP3 or NOT SP3 ?
I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and have been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I installed SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the list that is an option on the Windows Update site.) My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe) If I do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now? Please advise. SP3 will overwrite all updates froim before SP3. Any updates applicable to S...

alignment problems when copying excel graphs to word
I'm trying to copy an excel graph into a word doc and when I print the pages with excel graphs the doc prints the graphs way out of alignment, compared to the text. Any suggestions. Thanks -- petevang ------------------------------------------------------------------------ petevang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25034 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=487033 Do the copy/paste as picture. You can always re-size and re-shape pictures to print to your liking. -- Gary's Student "petevang"...

V10 SP Remote Install
Hi We have a customer that still has a large number of GP clients, therefore a SP4 install is cumbersome. Is there any tool available that can be used to rollout automatically, e.g. part of logon script? Thanks Marius Have you looked at creating an installation package? I have never done it, but it may be an option. Look at Ch. 3 in the User guide for Installation & Configuration. "Marius" wrote: > Hi > > We have a customer that still has a large number of GP clients, therefore a > SP4 install is cumbersome. > > Is there any...

Can I install RMS Store Ops on Small Biz Server 2003 ?
I have a Small Biz Server with the RMS database on an instance of SQL Server. I want to occasionally open Store Ops Manager on that pc to run some reports and accept some store transfers. Q1) Is it o.k. to install the RMS Store Ops programs on this box? Q2) Is it o.k. to install HQ Client on this box? Running SO Mgr on the server isn't an issue. Running HQ Server and HQ Client on a box that hosts both databases is a performance disaster. If the HQ Server is on another box, running HQ client is OK. BEWARE: According to MS, SBS 2003 is a UNSUPPORTED OS for hosting RMS HQ or Sto...

problem adding
I am having a problem with adding a column of time values. Column e has the time called out and is formated as Time 13:00. Column f has the time in and is formated as Time 13:00. Column g adds the total time which has a formula of - =if(f10>e10,f10-e10,1-(e10-f10)) Then I have Column g adding up to give me a total of time. It i formated as Number. The formula is g=sum(g8:g26)*24 This all works great as long as there is actual time entered. Howeve when the cells in e & f as blank it still enters a total as it i taking it as 0:00 which it is counting it as 24:00. Can anyone tell...

Outlook 2000 SP3
There has been so much hype about email worms/ viruses but I still don't understand everything I'd like to. When an email arrives in my Inbox, it will display in the preview pane as soon as I single click in the message header in the Header pane. My question is: Is that equivalent to opening the mail message and therefore launching whatever script/ executable is embedded in the body of the email? I'm concerned because any HTML type messages will instantly begin to render simply by single click and preview. Given concerns about HTML based spyware, worms, etc. I'm thinking the...

Office2003 - Outlook
Hi, Wen I move an email from my imap inbox to my removed items folder. It doesn't appear in that folder, it just mysteriously vanishes! This used to work under Office XP! Tryd dragging it to removed items folder. Moving it to removed items folder. No I haven't closed outlook in the meantime (so it would get automaticly get removed on exeting outlook) Checked this on several pc's they all had it. Latest Office 2003 patches are installed. Win XP systems with all updates. If you drag a message from my imap inbox to any other folder except removed items it does work! Help! Bram Lau...

CStringArray pointer problem
I am trying to use a CStringArray pointer, but everytime I do, I get a runtime error. CStringArray *ptmpStr; //in class header file of dialog ptmpStr->SetSize(2,40); If just use a regular CStringArray variable, it works fine. CStringArray tempString; //in class header file of dialog tempString.SetSize(2,40); What am I doing wrong? Roger Are you sure that the poitner is acutally pointing to an instance of the CStringArray class: ptmpStr = new CStringArray; ptmpStr->SetSize(2, 40); Remember that you will need to call delete on the pointer, otherwise you'll have ...

problem with release and debug mode
hi all I am using SetWindowText() for displaying text inside progress bar control. It is working fine in Debug mode It is not working in release mode what to do to make it work in release mode also pls help thanks in advance with regards Harish Post you code for better details..... Anywasy.. It looks like buffer overrun...Packing is loose in debug build..that's why it doesn't crash in debug mode. Check the text buffer that you are passing to SetWindowText() function. HTH, Parhar "Harish" <harish.k at sify.com> wrote in message news:%23DVKJJWxDHA.2000@TK2MSFT...

New installation on old pc.
I have a non working version of Windows 98SE on C: and a reinstalled version of XP on D:. What I would like to do is format C: install XP and get it functioning correctly then format D: to get rid of the reinstalled messed up version of XP. If I do this, will I lose my access to the C: Windows XP? Doing it the way I'd like will give me a chance to import things from D: before I wipe it out. If I will no longer be able to boot to C: after I wipe out D:, I might as well wipe out both C: and D: at the same time. "Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message news:J7K...

Mail and Catalog merge problems
This is a two part question. The first part concerns an error and the second part is seeking advice. First the error: I am trying to create a data source for use in a catalog merge. No matter what method I use, even using "Create Address List" from Publisher's Tools menu, I get an error dialog saying: "The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine failures. Please try again later." What causes this and how do I correct it? I would like to be able to connect to a SQL 2005 database for merge data. Now the request for advice: I am cr...

office install error
I just bought my first Mac (a powerbook) and love it, but am having trouble installing Office 2004. I originally installed it, but for some reason it installed it as the 30 day demo version. Thinkin that I didnt pay full prize for a demo, i dragged the office folder to the trash and emptied it, after using the remove office application. Now everytime i install it using the assistant the actually apps such as word and excel dont appear in the folder. And if i just try to drag office to the harddrive to install it gives me an error about now being able to copy Ms Mincho, a font i believe. H...

How to uninstall Publisher 2003
I have recently upgraded two of my office computers from XP Home to XP Profesional. After the installation Publisher no longer shows up in the all programs list. When I try to reinstall it, it says "Uninstallation of the patch package is not supported". So I went into add/remove programs and there it shows up, but when i click remove it just blinks a couple times then doesn't do anything. Do you have any suggestions on what I should try next? You need to run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility You receive the "This patch package could not be opened" error messag...

Uninstalled Office 07
I just uninstalled Office 2007 off of a laptop. I then installed Office 2010 onto it. I wanted to start with a clean slate, particularly for Outlook as a lot of the calendar data is screwed up. However, all the old data is still present. What's the easiest and most effective way to purge Outlook of all data, so I can start afresh? I want to install the Google Calendar Sync utility so the laptop can sync its calendar data with Google. I have my Android Phone and Outlook 2010 on a desktop PC sync'ed this way. On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:50:28 +1100, Marts <marts@ymail.com> wrote...

having serious problems
Hey everyone. I'm having a huge problem with my computer (which operates on vista) and am tearing my hair out over it. First of all, a nasty virus called 'security tools' infected my computer and i couldn't get rid of it because it wouldn't enable me to run real anti-virus programs such as anti-malwarebytes which has worked for me in the past. I do have solutions for getting rid of this virus now but i can't even boot up my computer properly. This morning when i booted up my laptop, startup repair tried to repair my computer but after not being able to fi...

Sync CRM 3.0 with Outlook 2007 problem
Hello. At synchronization CRM of the client with Outlook, in added contacts in Outlook the organization to which this contact concerns does not appear in Outlook card. How it can be corrected? Hi Dmitry, this should be able to help: http://www.workopia.com/howto/DisplayParentAccountOutlookContactForm.htm. If not then take a look at http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/UserSamples/Details.aspx?SampleGuid=85B6BEED-3212-48C1-9634-BAACAC74A16A Hope this helps -- George Doubinski CRM Certified Professional - Developer "Dmitry" <Dmitry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Serious Problem
Hi A few weeks ago I had a problem with all of a customers PO's disappearing. As I couldn't find an answer I put it down to user error. The same thing has happened with a different customer so it's def a bug of some sort. ALL the PO's disappear, it's as if the tables are truncated. This as you can imagine is a VERY SERIOUS issue, has anyone ever seen it before or does anyone have any way of contacting Microsoft about this? What version of RMS, version of Database engine, size of Database, number of POS users and SO users? Danny "Gaz" <Gaz@discussions.mic...

installed earthinktotalaccess 2004 problems with outlook
Just installed the above. Have had earthlink with no problems. The settings are correct, did the auto set e- mail and checked. I also use the outlook express which sends and recieves fine. but my regular outlook, when I hit "send/recieve" it days "operation failed". When I"m in an e-mail and send it, it sends and is fine. I have the e-mail to auto check every 3 minutes and I'll get e- mail then, it is just when I manually hit send and recieve it "operation fails" me. I Have windows XP professional on a Dell 8400 computor. Outlook 2002. Ear...

New Installation Problems
I have just reinstalled the OS (XP) Home and reloaded Outlook2003. I had my pst file backed up. But in the folder view there are two identical listing of "personal files". The second problem is that although my contacts are intact email does not link to them. Can these problem be fixed? Regards Did you import the .pst file? Don't - not ever - not even on a bet. Create a new mail profile and point it to your saved .pst file to re-use. Importing/exporting is never required to migrate your .pst file from one Outlook installation to another. --� Milly Staples [MVP - ...

Import GP 9.0 Modified Reports on GP 10 installation
Hello I there a problems if i import a GP 9.0 Modified Reports on GP 10 Installation? Usually it is not s problem. If you have already modified the same reports in your V10, you should export them and save the backup. Visit us at booth 836 at Convergence and join us for a couple of great parties. We are taking a group on a Cruise Wednesday evening and you are invited. Visit our web site to sign up. Also, don't miss Rock-n-Rave on Thursday evening. Passes available at our booth! -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips...

Offer On Demand Web Demos For Product Installations
Microsoft seems to sometimes work from a problem up approach in terms of how it posts information. I understand the reasoning behind this, but sometimes just having the information on how a successful installation should go is needed. I think it would be very beneficial if you offered "On Demand" Web Demonstrations for installing products such as MS CRM, Great Plains and other products. I think you would reduce a lot of problems and simple questions if you had an "On Demand" demonstration of how an installation should go. Then if an individual runs into an issu...

Outlook 2003 asian filename file attachment problem
Using Outlook 2003 on an XP SP1 box with the multilanguage option selected for the OS. When I create an email message using RTF as the format and attach a file with an asian doublebyte filename, it attaches it into the body of the email and all the doublebyte characters are replaced with question marks (?????.doc). If I change the email format to HTML and attach the same file, it attaches the file to a new field called "Attach.." under the "Subject:" field and the multibyte characters show up just fine. Why don't the characters show up when I use RTF? Is this...