Sounds and Audio Devices - How to add/remove programs?

Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that I
have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One example
is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the complete removal
tool before installing MSE.

There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list. As
stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice that IE
is not a listed program should I change my mind.

How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?

0
Smirnoff

Smirnoff wrote:
> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice
> that I have some programs listed that I no longer have on my
> computer. One example is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and
> then used the complete removal tool before installing MSE.
>
> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the
> list. As stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but
> I notice that IE is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>
> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?

There are no programs there.  If you want to dump the driver for some
*hardware* device...

    Hardware tab
        Select device
            Properties
                Driver
                    Uninstall

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
7/21/2010 11:35:09 AM
"dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Smirnoff wrote:
>> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice
>> that I have some programs listed that I no longer have on my
>> computer. One example is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and
>> then used the complete removal tool before installing MSE.
>>
>> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the
>> list. As stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but
>> I notice that IE is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>>
>> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?
>
> There are no programs there.  If you want to dump the driver for some
> *hardware* device...
>
>    Hardware tab
>        Select device
>            Properties
>                Driver
>                    Uninstall
>
> --
>
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Thanks but cannot see anything that relates to Avast!

0
Smirnoff
7/21/2010 11:50:12 AM
> I notice that IE is not a listed program...

....in Sounds and Audio Device | Sounds tab | Program Events, I assume.

IE is part & parcel of Windows.  IE's Sounds (e.g., Information Bar; Start
Navigation) are listed under Windows Explorer.

As for "leftover" programs in Program Events, I don't know of a legit way to
remove these other than a Reg hack or running a <spit> "Registry cleaner."
(My "leftovers" include WinPatrol & MSN Chat.)

Remember the First Rule of Computers: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Smirnoff wrote:
> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that I
> have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One
> example
> is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the complete removal
> tool before installing MSE.
>
> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list.
> As
> stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice that
> IE
> is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>
> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?

0
PA
7/21/2010 1:20:54 PM
Smirnoff wrote:
> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that
> I have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One
> example is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the
> complete removal tool before installing MSE.
>
> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list.
> As stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice
> that IE is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>
> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?

	Not sure I understand the problem stated, but, if left over files are
bothering you use Revo for uninstalling programs. Does a good job of
hosing the system of all files. It's free.
	http://revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
0
Motor
7/21/2010 2:02:02 PM
Smirnoff wrote:
> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Smirnoff wrote:
>>> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice
>>> that I have some programs listed that I no longer have on my
>>> computer. One example is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and
>>> then used the complete removal tool before installing MSE.
>>>
>>> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the
>>> list. As stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but
>>> I notice that IE is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>>>
>>> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?
>>
>> There are no programs there.  If you want to dump the driver for some
>> *hardware* device...
>>
>>    Hardware tab
>>        Select device
>>            Properties
>>                Driver
>>                    Uninstall

> Thanks but cannot see anything that relates to Avast!

Of course not.  Avast is software, not hardware.

Do you mean that there is a sound associated with Avast in Sounds and Audio
Devices?  If so, just delete that souind scheme.  Or choose another.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
7/21/2010 5:55:47 PM
TSmirnoff wrote:
> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that
> I have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One
> example is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the
> complete removal tool before installing MSE.
>
> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list.
> As stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice
> that IE is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>
> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?

The sound schemes are listed in the registry at

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]

and

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-[UserID]\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]

Just delete the "Avast" keys (folders) in the left-hand column and all
the sounds listed within that area of "Sounds" should be removed.

You can click File, Export, and save the entry to the Desktop.  If you
remove it and there's a problem, double-click the .reg file you exported
to the Desktop and it'll be added to the registry again.  You can create
a restore point before editing the registry too.

--

Joe   =o)
0
> Smirnoff wrote:
>> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> There are no programs there.  If you want to dump the driver for some
>>> *hardware* device...
>>>
>>>    Hardware tab
>>>        Select device
>>>            Properties
>>>                Driver
>>>                    Uninstall
>
>> Thanks but cannot see anything that relates to Avast!
>
> Of course not.  Avast is software, not hardware.
>
> Do you mean that there is a sound associated with Avast in Sounds and
> Audio Devices?  If so, just delete that souind scheme.  Or choose another.
>
> --
>
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Even in the Windows Default sound scheme, Avast! is listed under Program
Events.

I know I can disassociate sounds to any event using the drop-down menu and
selecting "(None)".

I can also use the "No Sounds" scheme or name and save a new scheme with
perhaps only one event having a sound associated with it.

My question is: why is Avast! still listed in Program Events (in whatever
scheme) when it has been entirely uninstalled from the computer?

0
Smirnoff
7/22/2010 5:48:23 AM
Thanks, I take your point that IE is covered by the Windows Explorer
settings. In fact I now remember that the first sound event I turned off was
Start Navigation to get rid of that annoying "clicking" when surfing.

I don't intend to compromise my computer over something that can be easily
ignored but it does intrigue me.

Looking in Program Events, I see (with the subsequent events listed below
them):

Windows
Avast! Antivirus
Net meeting
Windows Explorer
iTunes (which IS installed)
Windows Messenger

I can only assume that MS Office programs such as Word are also covered by
Windows or Win Explorer because it seems strange that a whole suite of
programs are not included but iTunes and Avast! are.

>> I notice that IE is not a listed program...
>
> ...in Sounds and Audio Device | Sounds tab | Program Events, I assume.
>
> IE is part & parcel of Windows.  IE's Sounds (e.g., Information Bar; Start
> Navigation) are listed under Windows Explorer.
>
> As for "leftover" programs in Program Events, I don't know of a legit way
> to remove these other than a Reg hack or running a <spit> "Registry
> cleaner." (My "leftovers" include WinPatrol & MSN Chat.)
>
> Remember the First Rule of Computers: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>

> Smirnoff wrote:
>> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that
>> have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One
>> example
>> is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the complete
>> removal
>> tool before installing MSE.
>>
>> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list.
>> As
>> stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice that
>> IE
>> is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>>
>> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?

0
Smirnoff
7/22/2010 6:09:08 AM
"Elmo" <elmogeek@xxx.invalid> wrote in message
> TSmirnoff wrote:
>> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that
>> I have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One
>> example is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the
>> complete removal tool before installing MSE.
>>
>> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list.
>> As stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice
>> that IE is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>>
>> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?
>
> The sound schemes are listed in the registry at
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]
>
> and
>
> [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-[UserID]\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]
>
> Just delete the "Avast" keys (folders) in the left-hand column and all
> the sounds listed within that area of "Sounds" should be removed.
>
> You can click File, Export, and save the entry to the Desktop.  If you
> remove it and there's a problem, double-click the .reg file you exported
> to the Desktop and it'll be added to the registry again.  You can create
> a restore point before editing the registry too.
>
> --
>
> Joe   =o)

Thanks, that worked.

I deleted the key (after backing up):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]

There are a number of UserIDs under HKEY_USERS but couldn't find the Avast!
key in any of them.

However, Avast! has now been removed from Progam Events in Sounds and Audio
Devices..

Thanks again.

0
Smirnoff
7/22/2010 6:20:14 AM
Smirnoff wrote:
> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Smirnoff wrote:
>>> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks but cannot see anything that relates to Avast!
>>
>> Of course not.  Avast is software, not hardware.
>>
>> Do you mean that there is a sound associated with Avast in Sounds and
>> Audio Devices?  If so, just delete that souind scheme.  Or choose
>> another. --
>>
>> dadiOH
>> ____________________________
>>
>> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
>>

> Even in the Windows Default sound scheme, Avast! is listed under
> Program Events.
>
> I know I can disassociate sounds to any event using the drop-down
> menu and selecting "(None)".
>
> I can also use the "No Sounds" scheme or name and save a new scheme
> with perhaps only one event having a sound associated with it.
>
> My question is: why is Avast! still listed in Program Events (in
> whatever scheme) when it has been entirely uninstalled from the
> computer?

Because those entries weren't removed.  Same reason Net Meeting and Windows
Messenger are there in mine.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
7/22/2010 11:24:02 AM
Just remembered I had this stashed away:

Alwil (Avast) Software Removal Utility
http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
[Discussion: http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallavast.shtml]

Smirnoff wrote:
> Thanks, I take your point that IE is covered by the Windows Explorer
> settings. In fact I now remember that the first sound event I turned off
> was
> Start Navigation to get rid of that annoying "clicking" when surfing.
>
> I don't intend to compromise my computer over something that can be easily
> ignored but it does intrigue me.
>
> Looking in Program Events, I see (with the subsequent events listed below
> them):
>
> Windows
> Avast! Antivirus
> Net meeting
> Windows Explorer
> iTunes (which IS installed)
> Windows Messenger
>
> I can only assume that MS Office programs such as Word are also covered by
> Windows or Win Explorer because it seems strange that a whole suite of
> programs are not included but iTunes and Avast! are.

>>> I notice that IE is not a listed program...
>>
>> ...in Sounds and Audio Device | Sounds tab | Program Events, I assume.
>>
>> IE is part & parcel of Windows.  IE's Sounds (e.g., Information Bar;
>> Start
>> Navigation) are listed under Windows Explorer.
>>
>> As for "leftover" programs in Program Events, I don't know of a legit way
>> to remove these other than a Reg hack or running a <spit> "Registry
>> cleaner." (My "leftovers" include WinPatrol & MSN Chat.)
>>
>> Remember the First Rule of Computers: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>>

>> Smirnoff wrote:
>>> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that
>>> have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One
>>> example
>>> is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the complete
>>> removal
>>> tool before installing MSE.
>>>
>>> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list.
>>> As
>>> stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice
>>> that
>>> IE
>>> is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>>>
>>> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?

0
PA
7/22/2010 3:06:40 PM
Smirnoff wrote:

> "Elmo" <elmogeek@xxx.invalid> wrote in message
>> TSmirnoff wrote:
>>> Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that
>>> I have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One
>>> example is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the
>>> complete removal tool before installing MSE.
>>>
>>> There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list.
>>> As stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice
>>> that IE is not a listed program should I change my mind.
>>>
>>> How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices?
>>
>> The sound schemes are listed in the registry at
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]
>>
>> and
>>
>> [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-[UserID]\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]
>>
>> Just delete the "Avast" keys (folders) in the left-hand column and all
>> the sounds listed within that area of "Sounds" should be removed.
>>
>> You can click File, Export, and save the entry to the Desktop.  If you
>> remove it and there's a problem, double-click the .reg file you exported
>> to the Desktop and it'll be added to the registry again.  You can create
>> a restore point before editing the registry too.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Joe   =o)
>
> Thanks, that worked.
>
> I deleted the key (after backing up):
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]
>
> There are a number of UserIDs under HKEY_USERS but couldn't find the
> Avast! key in any of them.
>
> However, Avast! has now been removed from Program Events in Sounds and
> Audio Devices..
>
> Thanks again.

YW.  Once you removed it from HKEY_CURRENT_USER it might've removed the
entries from the other locations too; I'm not sure how that works.

--

Joe   =o)
0

Obviously it is not a COMPLETE removal tool because it left behind registry
entries for Sound and Audio Devices.

Although I wasn't keen to mess with the registry, I decided to follow Elmo's
advice and deleted the key at:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Avast]

Obviously I backed up before deletion.

Avast! has now been removed from Program Events.

Thanks for your help.

> Just remembered I had this stashed away:
>
> Alwil (Avast) Software Removal Utility
> http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
> [Discussion: http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallavast.shtml]
>

> Smirnoff wrote:
>> Thanks, I take your point that IE is covered by the Windows Explorer
>> settings. In fact I now remember that the first sound event I turned off
>> was
>> Start Navigation to get rid of that annoying "clicking" when surfing.
>>
>> I don't intend to compromise my computer over something that can be
>> easily
>> ignored but it does intrigue me.
>>
>> Looking in Program Events, I see (with the subsequent events listed below
>> them):
>>
>> Windows
>> Avast! Antivirus
>> Net meeting
>> Windows Explorer
>> iTunes (which IS installed)
>> Windows Messenger
>>
>> I can only assume that MS Office programs such as Word are also covered
>> by
>> Windows or Win Explorer because it seems strange that a whole suite of
>> programs are not included but iTunes and Avast! are.

>>> ...in Sounds and Audio Device | Sounds tab | Program Events, I assume.
>>>
>>> IE is part & parcel of Windows.  IE's Sounds (e.g., Information Bar;
>>> Start
>>> Navigation) are listed under Windows Explorer.
>>>
>>> As for "leftover" programs in Program Events, I don't know of a legit
>>> way
>>> to remove these other than a Reg hack or running a <spit> "Registry
>>> cleaner." (My "leftovers" include WinPatrol & MSN Chat.)
>>>
>>> Remember the First Rule of Computers: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

0
Smirnoff

Office XP Sounds
I'm having a problem with the Office XP Sounds add-on, available for download at Microsoft's Web site. I've tried installing them a few times, but only 20% of them really work--the rest of the time it's like they don't even exist. I know this because they were working just fine a couple weeks ago, but then I decided to reformat my hard drive and now I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them all back. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. TIA! -- Kyle W. ...

How do i add text labels to each bubble on bubble chart?
Any suggestions on how to add Text labes to each bubble on a bubble chart? Download on of these free and easy to use Excel add-ins: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com/ss - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "bazza" <bazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE9FA6ED-1EF5-47FB-A9B4-8C6FF03533B8@microsoft.com... > Any suggestions on how to add Text labes to each bubble on a bubble chart? ...

add break even point
I need to add a break even point in my line chart, I have positive and negative values. We need a few more details best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "60617" <60617@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29F5C2F0-442B-4EE6-ACEC-6577197880DC@microsoft.com... >I need to add a break even point in my line chart, I have positive and > negative values. ...

Add autonumber
Hi, I have a select query. There are 10 columns of data - I want to create another column that is a primary key How do you do this? Thanks for your help. Go into design mode for the query and add the field you want. "Jeff" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a select query. There are 10 columns of data - I want to create > another column that is a primary key > > How do you do this? > > Thanks for your help. A query doesn't have a primary key, although you can add a primary key field from a table, or from several tables. What would you like to accompli...

ICQ add-in error
I recently installed SP3 on my user's computers that are running Outlook2002. Now they get an annoying message box that appears telling them "a program is trying to access e- mail addresses - do they want to continue?" The MS Knowledge Base says to de-select the ICQ Express add-in from w/in Outlook. However, my users do NOT have the add-in installed at all. Any other suggestions? Then they probably have another addin. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for ...

Contacts move but no Add Bk
I moved my contacts from the Outlook 2000 on my desktop to Outlook XP on my notebook. The exporting/importing had no problems. On the notebook the contacts are in the contact folder but the address book used for new messages has no addressees. How do I get the email addresses in the contact folder into my email address book? This is a common occurrence when moving things around -- the association between the Contacts folder and the Outlook Address Book gets broken. To fix it, go to Tools | E-mail accounts, select "View or change existing directories or address books", and clic...

low voice recording volume with Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card
Hi all, Here a while back I build a new computer and installed a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card. The Asus P5Q PRO TURBO motherboard I put in it had integrated sound but would not do what I needed. Now, I'm having problems with the microphone not having enough volume to properly record voice. For some reason when I go into Sounds and Audio Device Properties, Voice and Test Hardware the mic volume yield is very low unless I put a boost under Record Control, Advanced. After I do another Test Hardware everything working properly but when I try anything that uses analog...

Trying to sync my notes to audio as accurately as possible?
I use OneNote for an unusual purpose. As a lawyer, I summarize audio recordings and then in court I am able to instantaneously play the portion of the audio if they lie or give a different version of events in their testimony. In order to prepare for this, I copy an MP3 file into a OneNote page and then I run the audio and start summarizing the audio as close to verbatim as possible right on the same page. Sometimes I have to stop and rewind a bit but that doesn't seem to affect the results. This raises a couple of questions for me... 1) are the typed entries "synced...

any solution to add "find columns" when adding existing accounts to quotes?
Hi, Is there any solution available to search on the "parent customer" when adding "other contacts" (button add existing contact) to e.g. a quote? It seems to be another view than the standard views (quick find or lookup view) in which you can add "find columns", such as parent customer... you have e.g. the same issue when hitting the magnifying glass on the email activity for adding cc records (although this actually is a lookup view, there seems to be a "bug" that i doesn't use the added "find columns")... ...

Bulk add prefix to XmlDocument

How to add default and anoymous permissions?
I was playing with my Calendar permissions and removed these. I cannot find any to add them back. Using Outlook 2003 with Exchange Server 2003. TIA...Bob ...

deleting variable for playing audio results in crash
Hi Guys, I would like to get some insights here why when I delete a variable on playing audio which is Initialization: play1=new PlaySound1(this); play1->CreateThread(); Play: record->PostThreadMessage(WM_RECORDSOUND_STARTRECORDING,0,0); play1->PostThreadMessage(WM_PLAYSOUND_STARTPLAYING,0,0); Stop: record->SuspendThread(); record->PostThreadMessage(WM_RECORDSOUND_STOPRECORDING,0,0); play1->PostThreadMessage(WM_PLAYSOUND_STOPPLAYING,0,0); Deleting: if(play1->Playing!=-17891602) //the number means whether the variable still exist or not { play1->ExitInstance(); de...

Thumping sound in XP after I click someting
Ok I built an home theater PC (HTPC) with Windows XP and had all the latest updates. To make a long story short, my projector blew a bulb and it took about 6+ months to replace it. During that down time, I didn't turn the PC on. I was able to finally buy a bulb, and start the PC up again. Now, whenever I initiate an activity with a mouse, and the activity happens, I get a thump, where a ding is supposed to sound. For example, if I click the Back button in IE and it goes to the previous page, I get a thump. If I click Ok on a dialog box, I get a thump; if I double-click on ...

Will Outlook 2010 work on an Apple Server with Apple Devices?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap I operate a small consulting firm that uses a mac-mini server with Snow Leopard OS. Each employee has a Macbook and iPhone which are &quot;sync-ed&quot;. You would think that with all Apple products, and the fact that Apple touts their mac-mini as a great business server with unlimited user expandability, that we would be in great shape. There is one huge problem. The Apple Mail, iCal, and Address Book programs are woefully inadequate for business use. I could go into why but, any...

Cannot Add a new facility or equipment
Hello, We are trying to deploy CRM 3.0 on a SBS 2003. I read in help how to create the above, but when I click Business Unit Settings there are no options for Facilities/Equipment. At the end of this post are the directions. Am I missing something? Did the program install correctly? Is this available for the Small Business Server Version? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ed Podowski ------------Add a new facility or equipment ------------- For help gathering the right information, see the Fadllity/Equi/ment worksheet in the Microsoft CRM 3,0 Implementation Guide o...

Trying to add new company to SBF: "You must be on the server machine to perform the upgrade."
Does anyone know how I can go about fixing this error? I'm using SBF 9, and even though I'm running SBF on the same server as where the SQL server is running, I get the dreaded "You must be on the server machine to perform the upgrade." message. Does the client not think I'm on the server? What table can I look at in DYNAMICS to see what server it thinks I'm supposed to be on? TGQ, Are you logged in via Remote Desktop? I've seen this error as a result. You may need to login directly on the server if you are not. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dyna...

Sound card / sound devices not recognized
I recently re-installed XP SP3 after a virus attack and now my machine is not recognizing my headphones nor my plug and play speakers (both of these work on other machines). My machine is a Gateway, built 12/2003, P4, Windows Media Player 9. My best guess is that it is a sound card issue. I don’t know whether the card is on the motherboard or separate: I haven’t ID’ed the type of sound card yet. I ran a program called Everest that lists all the components, but under the motherboard I did not recognize anything that looked like a sound card. I have made sure the speakers are...

Cannot add appointment to a future date
I've tried creating any appt. and Outlook just refuses to add it to the date I requested (August 12, 2005). It adds it with current time for today. This is driving me nuts. I cannot find anywhere on MS KB site on how to solve this. Please help ... somebody ... anybody ... AG Helpful if you provided more information. What version of Outlook and are you using an Exchange server What is the error you are getting or what is happening. Regards, Francine Otterson President, San Diego Outlook User Group "ag" wrote: > I've tried creating any appt. and Outlook just r...

Normal ntbackup does not remove transaction logs...
Hi Gurus, I'm running Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003. The domain controller resides on a 2000 server. We were messing with the raid configuration on our Exchange machine and screwed up the master boot record. To make a long story short we had to reinstall Windows and then install Exchange with the /disasterrecovery option and restored the exchange database from backup. Everything is working except after a normal ntbackup the transaction logs are left intact. I checked the event log and it says ntbackup succeeded and that it deleted log files xxx.log - yyy.log. Of course, I go and check ...

Error faced::Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another progra
i can hear all system sounds an even hear tst sound in Realteck HD Audio Manager bt no other sound plays as in no music file an no online music.... if i open music file in windows media plyer 9 the eroor comes: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly. THERE is no ques mrk on ny sound,vedio and game controllers device..in device manager...bt yellow ques mrk an exclamation mrk on MODEM DEVICE O...

Sound recorder in Publisher
Hi I want to record a voice in Publisher using the sound recorder. I can do this by Insert object and selecting Wave Sound, but when I do this the sound icon does not appear even if I tick the display as Icon box. If I click on Change Icon, I can select a different one and it works, but I just want to the sound recorder icon. This works in Word so not sure why is does not in publisher? Thanks Shirl -- shirl shirl wrote: > I want to record a voice in Publisher using the sound recorder. I can > do this by Insert object and selecting Wave Sound, but when I do this > the soun...

Put your program on a high-fiber diet...
See my essay on using fibers (complete with downloadable code example) on my MVP Tips site. www.flounder.com/fibers.htm joe Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm -- NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message news:8ovc52lofuvtthmj1l0opcc0mu0o4h0bg7@4ax.com... > See my essay on using fibers (complete with downloadable code example) on > my MVP Tips > site. > > www.flounder.com/fibers.ht...

Changing Calendar Alarm Sound
Recently, a hard drive failure forced reinstalling Office, including Outlook. Previusly, I had set up Outlook to use a custom sound for alerting me to calendar events by simply renaming my custom sound to the default sound name - I've foprgotten what that is. When I reinstalled Office, it seemed that both the mail notification and the calendar alert default sounds were the same. This isn't convenient. How can I set them up to be different, and in fact, to use my custom sound as my appointment alert? Thanks Optiker You can set a WAV here: Tools menu > Options > Other > ...

Excel changes my formula when I add values!
Hi, I was using excel97 but I've just changed to 2000 and I've go problems using a sheet I've been using on 97 for months. I have the formula: J10=SUM(B10:H10)-(I10+P10) or: J10=SUM(B10:H10)-I10-P10 I've tried them both just to see if it made any difference. What happens is that when I enter a value in I10 the J10 square flashe black and excel changes the H10 in my formula to I10, so the formul now reads: J10=SUM(B10:I10)-(I10+P10) which completely negates th I10 value! I have no idea what gives it the idea that it can change my formula fo...

How to remove OWA link redirector in email messages
Pasting a link in an OWA message adds automatically "http://domain.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=" (redirector) in front of the link. For some reason, the recipient of the email cannot open the link, and receives the error message "You are not authorized to view this page". The MS articel http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817312&Product=exch2003 does not work for me. Questions How to permanently remove the automatic owa redirector? ...