Sort Start -> Programs from command line

Hello,

I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...

I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
right-click -> Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
(Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
Sort button.)  It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
OS's, too.  From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
without performing additional work like rebooting the computer.  I
also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid.  From using
SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
API call is even exposed for programmers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd

0
ever90321

On 5/24/2010 11:31 AM, ever90321@mypacks.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
> come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
>
> I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
> technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
> right-click ->  Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
> (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
> Sort button.)  It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
> OS's, too.  From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
> without performing additional work like rebooting the computer.  I
> also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
> shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid.  From using
> SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
> functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
> API call is even exposed for programmers.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

If all else fails, you can make an exe from an Autohotkey script.
0
Bob
5/24/2010 4:58:22 PM
On May 24, 12:58=A0pm, Bob CP <ctcboa...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 5/24/2010 11:31 AM, ever90...@mypacks.net wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
> > come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
>
> > I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
> > technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
> > right-click -> =A0Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
> > (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
> > Sort button.) =A0It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
> > OS's, too. =A0From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this=
,
> > without performing additional work like rebooting the computer. =A0I
> > also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
> > shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid. =A0From using
> > SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
> > functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
> > API call is even exposed for programmers.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Todd
>
> If all else fails, you can make an exe from an Autohotkey script.

Or AutoIt?  But this would still involve opening some window, I think,
which is less than professional / ideal.
0
ever90321
5/24/2010 6:07:09 PM
On 05/24/10 2:07 PM, ever90321@mypacks.net wrote:
> On May 24, 12:58 pm, Bob CP<ctcboa...@sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>> On 5/24/2010 11:31 AM, ever90...@mypacks.net wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>
>>> I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
>>> come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
>>
>>> I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
>>> technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
>>> right-click ->    Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
>>> (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
>>> Sort button.)  It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
>>> OS's, too.  From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
>>> without performing additional work like rebooting the computer.  I
>>> also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
>>> shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid.  From using
>>> SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
>>> functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
>>> API call is even exposed for programmers.
>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Todd
>>
>> If all else fails, you can make an exe from an Autohotkey script.
>

> Or AutoIt?  But this would still involve opening some window, I think,
> which is less than professional / ideal.

Autohotkey has the ability to hide a window too.  Still, a Mickey Mouse
solution, but if no one comes up with a better solution...
0
boatman312
5/24/2010 6:39:52 PM
As workaround you could kill explorer.exe after having deleted the
registry-key.
(Being killed by script explorer.exe restarts automatically.)

Lg
Marcello

0
Marcello
5/24/2010 7:02:58 PM
On 5/24/2010 8:31 AM, ever90321@mypacks.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
> come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
> I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
> technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
> right-click ->  Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
> (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
> Sort button.)  It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
> OS's, too.  From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
> without performing additional work like rebooting the computer.  I
> also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
> shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid.  From using
> SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
> functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
> API call is even exposed for programmers.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Todd

This claims it works for XP

http://www.theeldergeek.com/sort_menus_alphabetically.htm

mscir
5/24/2010 10:51:54 PM
On 5/24/2010 8:31 AM, ever90321@mypacks.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
> come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
>
> I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
> technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
> right-click ->  Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
> (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
> Sort button.)  It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
> OS's, too.  From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
> without performing additional work like rebooting the computer.  I
> also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
> shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid.  From using
> SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
> functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
> API call is even exposed for programmers.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

This shows the registry changes more clearly:

http://samanathon.com/registry-hack-automatically-sort-the-programs-menu-alphabetically/
-----------

and this discusses the security API used to change registry key permissions:

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=78240

In answer to your question, it is possible but requires the use of the
security api function. Unfortunately these are some of the more arcance
functions in the API. I haven't the time to run up an example for you,
however you should use MSDN to check out these functions:

RegSetKeySecurity
SetEntriesInACL

Of course, you need to be able to open the key to set these ACEs so your
program will need to be run from an administrative account first in
order to set the necessary access.
-----------

I recommend you post this in a newsgroup for whatever programming
language you are going to use and write a program that you can run from
the command line.

Mike

mscir
5/24/2010 11:02:59 PM
On May 24, 7:02=A0pm, mscir <ms...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 5/24/2010 8:31 AM, ever90...@mypacks.net wrote:

[...]

> This shows the registry changes more clearly:
>
> http://samanathon.com/registry-hack-automatically-sort-the-programs-m...
> -----------
>
> and this discusses the security API used to change registry key permissio=
ns:

> http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3D78240
>
> In answer to your question, it is possible but requires the use of the
> security api function. Unfortunately these are some of the more arcance
> functions in the API. I haven't the time to run up an example for you,
> however you should use MSDN to check out these functions:
>
> RegSetKeySecurity
> SetEntriesInACL
>
> Of course, you need to be able to open the key to set these ACEs so your
> program will need to be run from an administrative account first in
> order to set the necessary access.
> -----------
>
> I recommend you post this in a newsgroup for whatever programming
> language you are going to use and write a program that you can run from
> the command line.
>
> Mike
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@netfront.net ---

Thanks for all the replies, but there may have been a
misunderstanding.  I don't want the Programs menu sorting itself
automatically forever, but only on cue, each time I run
"sortprograms.exe".  It's looking more likely there's no registry or
OS trick for that, eh?  But is there a way to link directly to the
"Sort" / "Sort by Name" functionality in explorer.exe (?) and avoid
all this messiness?  I am not a C programmer (for a small,
straightforward program, it wouldn't be an impossible leap) and was
hoping/guessing that such a program must already exist somewhere.
Second takes anyone?

Thanks again,
Todd
0
ever90321
5/25/2010 12:33:51 AM
On 5/24/2010 5:33 PM, ever90321@mypacks.net wrote:
> On May 24, 7:02 pm, mscir<ms...@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>>> On 5/24/2010 8:31 AM, ever90...@mypacks.net wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> This shows the registry changes more clearly:
>>
>> http://samanathon.com/registry-hack-automatically-sort-the-programs-m...
>> -----------
>>
>> and this discusses the security API used to change registry key permissions:
>>
>> http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/showthread.php?t=78240
>>
>> In answer to your question, it is possible but requires the use of the
>> security api function. Unfortunately these are some of the more arcance
>> functions in the API. I haven't the time to run up an example for you,
>> however you should use MSDN to check out these functions:
>>
>> RegSetKeySecurity
>> SetEntriesInACL
>>
>> Of course, you need to be able to open the key to set these ACEs so your
>> program will need to be run from an administrative account first in
>> order to set the necessary access.
>> -----------
>>
>> I recommend you post this in a newsgroup for whatever programming
>> language you are going to use and write a program that you can run from
>> the command line.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@netfront.net ---
>
> Thanks for all the replies, but there may have been a
> misunderstanding.  I don't want the Programs menu sorting itself
> automatically forever, but only on cue, each time I run
> "sortprograms.exe".  It's looking more likely there's no registry or
> OS trick for that, eh?  But is there a way to link directly to the
> "Sort" / "Sort by Name" functionality in explorer.exe (?) and avoid
> all this messiness?  I am not a C programmer (for a small,
> straightforward program, it wouldn't be an impossible leap) and was
> hoping/guessing that such a program must already exist somewhere.
> Second takes anyone?
>
> Thanks again,
> Todd

Todd,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I haven't seen anything that would do
what you're asking for. Would you mind explaining the application... is
this something you'd be running just to save time, or is it a feature
you want to add to a program you're installing or running?

Mike

mscir
5/25/2010 1:51:15 AM
On May 24, 9:51=A0pm, mscir <ms...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Todd,
>
> Sorry for the misunderstanding. I haven't seen anything that would do
> what you're asking for. Would you mind explaining the application... is
> this something you'd be running just to save time, or is it a feature
> you want to add to a program you're installing or running?
>
> Mike
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@netfront.net ---

It's meant to add some polish to a remote device management server.
Once a program (.exe, .msi, etc.) is installed over-the-air on the
laptop, "sortprograms.exe" would run once.  I suppose it would be
possible to set each laptop to always sort Start -> Programs
automatically (or just let the folders fall where they may), but I
find this the cleanest solution.  I'm often surprised at the features
lying under the surface of Windows when I go digging, but this seems
to be something that was left out.

If you or anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.
Autohotkey is looking pretty good right now! ;)
0
ever90321
5/25/2010 4:23:30 PM
On May 24, 11:31=A0pm, ever90...@mypacks.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
> come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
>
> I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
> technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
> right-click -> Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
> (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
> Sort button.) =A0It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
> OS's, too. =A0From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
> without performing additional work like rebooting the computer. =A0I
> also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
> shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid. =A0From using
> SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
> functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
> API call is even exposed for programmers.

Sort Menus Alphabetically
http://www.theeldergeek.com/sort_menus_alphabetically.htm

Menu Sorter
http://www.cooltoys.org.uk/products/menu_sorter/

0
jmatt
5/26/2010 11:47:45 AM
On 5/26/2010 4:47 AM, jmatt wrote:
> On May 24, 11:31 pm, ever90...@mypacks.net wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and
>> come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input...
>>
>> I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line
>> technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the
>> right-click ->  Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu.
>> (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's
>> Sort button.)  It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer
>> OS's, too.  From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this,
>> without performing additional work like rebooting the computer.  I
>> also found a VBS script that does an actual (bubble?) sort on the
>> shortcuts, which is also something I want to avoid.  From using
>> SysInternals' Process Monitor, the best I can tell is that the Sort
>> functionality is built into explorer.exe, but I have no idea if this
>> API call is even exposed for programmers.
>>
> Sort Menus Alphabetically
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/sort_menus_alphabetically.htm
>
> Menu Sorter
> http://www.cooltoys.org.uk/products/menu_sorter/

I emailed the cooltoys guy asking for the source code, I may be able to
write a small Visual Basic 6 app that did the job that doesn't open any
windows, just runs, does the sort, then closes itself. If he gives me
the source code I'll write the app and test it on my XP machine and let
you know if I get it working.

mscir
5/27/2010 2:59:26 AM
On May 26, 10:59=A0pm, mscir <ms...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Menu Sorter
> >http://www.cooltoys.org.uk/products/menu_sorter/
>
> I emailed the cooltoys guy asking for the source code, I may be able to
> write a small Visual Basic 6 app that did the job that doesn't open any
> windows, just runs, does the sort, then closes itself. If he gives me
> the source code I'll write the app and test it on my XP machine and let
> you know if I get it working.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@netfront.net ---

Mike,

Wow, I really appreciate the help.  I am in the process of contacting
James @ Cooltoys myself.  His program sort of does what I want, with
the exception of a /silent switch as you noted.  The other problem?
It does't work so well.  I tried dragging a single folder out of place
and running Menu Sorter, and it generally does nothing at all.  This
is on a WinXP SP3 computer...no telling what effect it has on Vista or
7.  I am curious what James has to say about this.  If at its heart,
Menu Sorter is simply a dog, then the source code won't make much
difference.  The final problem, which I'm sure is just bad luck, is
that the line of A-Squared/Ikarus malware detectors flag it as
containing Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB!IK.  I checked the program at
http://www.virustotal.com and http://virusscan.jotti.org/en, and these
are the *only* programs to flag it, and I also ran my own tests that
judge it as clean.

Thanks,
Todd
0
ever90321
5/27/2010 5:51:43 PM
On May 27, 10:51 am, ever90...@mypacks.net wrote:
> On May 26, 10:59 pm, mscir <ms...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Menu Sorter
> > >http://www.cooltoys.org.uk/products/menu_sorter/
>
> > I emailed the cooltoys guy asking for the source code, I may be able to
> > write a small Visual Basic 6 app that did the job that doesn't open any
> > windows, just runs, does the sort, then closes itself. If he gives me
> > the source code I'll write the app and test it on my XP machine and let
> > you know if I get it working.
>
> > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@netfront.net ---
>
> Mike,
>
> Wow, I really appreciate the help.  I am in the process of contacting
> James @ Cooltoys myself.  His program sort of does what I want, with
> the exception of a /silent switch as you noted.  The other problem?
> It does't work so well.  I tried dragging a single folder out of place
> and running Menu Sorter, and it generally does nothing at all.  This
> is on a WinXP SP3 computer...no telling what effect it has on Vista or
> 7.  I am curious what James has to say about this.  If at its heart,
> Menu Sorter is simply a dog, then the source code won't make much
> difference.  The final problem, which I'm sure is just bad luck, is
> that the line of A-Squared/Ikarus malware detectors flag it as
> containing Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB!IK.  I checked the program athttp://www.virustotal.comandhttp://virusscan.jotti.org/en, and these
> are the *only* programs to flag it, and I also ran my own tests that
> judge it as clean.
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

Here's the reply from James, who released the Cool Toys sort program:

From: James (Cool Toys) <james@cooltoys.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Cool Toys - Contact Form - would you mind making the
source code available
To: "Mike Scirocco" <mscir@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 12:41 PM

Hi Mike,

The Menu Sorter utility is a bit crude really, as all it does it
delete
everything under this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\MenuOrder

Which is what Windows uses to store the sort order - I seem to
remember
Windows doesn't re-read the values from the registry all of the time
though, i.e. rebooting may be necessary for the changes to be picked-
up.

Hope that helps

James

Is this an approach you want to try, and if so do you require a VB
program to accomplish it?

Mike
0
mscir
5/28/2010 12:35:06 AM
On May 27, 8:35=A0pm, mscir <msciro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 27, 10:51 am, ever90...@mypacks.net wrote:
>

> Here's the reply from James, who released the Cool Toys sort program:

-----------------------------
> From: James (Cool Toys) <ja...@cooltoys.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: Cool Toys - Contact Form - would you mind making the
> source code available
> To: "Mike Scirocco" <ms...@yahoo.com>
> Date: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 12:41 PM
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> The Menu Sorter utility is a bit crude really, as all it does it
> delete
> everything under this registry key:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
> \MenuOrder
>
> Which is what Windows uses to store the sort order - I seem to
> remember
> Windows doesn't re-read the values from the registry all of the time
> though, i.e. rebooting may be necessary for the changes to be picked-
> up.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> James
-----------------------------

> Is this an approach you want to try, and if so do you require a VB
> program to accomplish it?
>
> Mike

Hey, James sent me a copy of that email as well.  But unfortunately I
was trying that days before I posted here, and it doesn't work.  At
least it doesn't work instantly, like clicking "Sort" or "Sort by
name" within Windows XP, which is what I'm trying to do.  I forget
which board it came from, but someone else suggested
http://www.lujosoft.net/_content/_utilities/AutoSortMenu.html.  This
seems like a further step backward, though, because not only does it
not work instantly, but as a .NET program it requires an outright
installation, and I'm trying to stay within a small footprint.  I do
want to contact the LuJuSoft guy, in case he has any ideas.

To recap, the problem is that while Windows probably also deletes the
\Menu or \Menu2 key in the registry, it likely triggers an instant
rebuild of the key, which is otherwise requires by a reboot.  I'm
looking for the API to do that without rebooting, if it's even
possible. I'll post again the next time I have news.

Thanks!
Todd
0
ever90321
6/1/2010 8:54:33 PM
On 6/1/2010 1:54 PM, ever90321@mypacks.net wrote:
> On May 27, 8:35 pm, mscir<msciro...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On May 27, 10:51 am, ever90...@mypacks.net wrote:
>>

>> Here's the reply from James, who released the Cool Toys sort program:

>> From: James (Cool Toys)<ja...@cooltoys.org.uk>
>> Subject: Re: Cool Toys - Contact Form - would you mind making the
>> source code available
>> To: "Mike Scirocco"<ms...@yahoo.com>
>> Date: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 12:41 PM
>>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> The Menu Sorter utility is a bit crude really, as all it does it
>> delete
>> everything under this registry key:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
>> \MenuOrder
>>
>> Which is what Windows uses to store the sort order - I seem to
>> remember
>> Windows doesn't re-read the values from the registry all of the time
>> though, i.e. rebooting may be necessary for the changes to be picked-
>> up.
>>
>> Hope that helps
>>
>> James
>>
>> Is this an approach you want to try, and if so do you require a VB
>> program to accomplish it?
>>
>> Mike
>
> Hey, James sent me a copy of that email as well.  But unfortunately I
> was trying that days before I posted here, and it doesn't work.  At
> least it doesn't work instantly, like clicking "Sort" or "Sort by
> name" within Windows XP, which is what I'm trying to do.  I forget
> which board it came from, but someone else suggested
> http://www.lujosoft.net/_content/_utilities/AutoSortMenu.html.  This
> seems like a further step backward, though, because not only does it
> not work instantly, but as a .NET program it requires an outright
> installation, and I'm trying to stay within a small footprint.  I do
> want to contact the LuJuSoft guy, in case he has any ideas.
>
> To recap, the problem is that while Windows probably also deletes the
> \Menu or \Menu2 key in the registry, it likely triggers an instant
> rebuild of the key, which is otherwise requires by a reboot.  I'm
> looking for the API to do that without rebooting, if it's even
> possible. I'll post again the next time I have news.
>
> Thanks!
> Todd

Have you seen this:

http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1691.html

using a batch file.

Mike
0
Mike

--------------------------------

--------------------------------

> >> Is this an approach you want to try, and if so do you require a VB
> >> program to accomplish it?
>
> >> Mike
>
> > Hey, James sent me a copy of that email as well. =A0But unfortunately I
> > was trying that days before I posted here, and it doesn't work. =A0At
> > least it doesn't work instantly, like clicking "Sort" or "Sort by
> > name" within Windows XP, which is what I'm trying to do. =A0I forget
> > which board it came from, but someone else suggested
> >http://www.lujosoft.net/_content/_utilities/AutoSortMenu.html. =A0This
> > seems like a further step backward, though, because not only does it
> > not work instantly, but as a .NET program it requires an outright
> > installation, and I'm trying to stay within a small footprint. =A0I do
> > want to contact the LuJuSoft guy, in case he has any ideas.
>
> > To recap, the problem is that while Windows probably also deletes the
> > \Menu or \Menu2 key in the registry, it likely triggers an instant
> > rebuild of the key, which is otherwise requires by a reboot. =A0I'm
> > looking for the API to do that without rebooting, if it's even
> > possible. I'll post again the next time I have news.
>
> > Thanks!
> > Todd
>
> Have you seen this:
>
> http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1691.html
>
> using a batch file.
>
> Mike

Yes, I did come across that earlier, or something similar.  I
originally wanted to avoid a full sort routine, as I wasn't sure it
how it would work on later OS's, or if it would run into any
permission issues...but then I never read the whole article.  At this
point, I should probably have another look. :)

Todd
0
ever90321

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

How to sort account list?

Sorting

Add horizontal line to a chart
How can I add a horizontal line for my chart? I did choose the XY value, paste to my chart but what I see is just a dash ? I should have a line from x min to x max ? Any ideas of this? Do I have to add trend line? Thanks Daniel Are the X values of the added line consistent with those of the original data? What is the original data like, and what is your added series' data like? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Row names will not move with sort

To Generate 500 almost identical VBA Lines?
Hi there I have to create 500 lines of almost identical VBA code. Code is Range("y10").GoalSeek Goal:=ActiveSheet.Range("z10").Value, ChangingCell:=Sheets("FTSE").Range("x10") Range("y11").GoalSeek Goal:=ActiveSheet.Range("z11").Value, ChangingCell:=Sheets("FTSE").Range("x11") Range("y12").GoalSeek Goal:=ActiveSheet.Range("z12").Value, ChangingCell:=Sheets("FTSE").Range("x12") and so on untill Range("y500").GoalSeek Goal:=ActiveSheet.Range("z500").Valu...

Outlook 2000 (SP3) slow to start, close and display emails
I have a client that has Outlook 2000 with Office SP3 recently added. Some time ago, after receiving a mountain of spam one day, her Outlook slowed to a crawl. It is very slow starting up, up to a minute, slow closing, up to about 30 seconds or so, slow opening emails about 30 seconds, and if you close an email, it often looks like it's closing, but will just return to an active state where it can be closed for "real" the next time. I have tried removing the virus scanner, dumping cache, compacting folders, fresh install. After I re-installed the video driver, Outlook ...

sorts not sorting

The Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine Service failed to start
Hello Folks, I have an issue here; The Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine Service failed to start due to the following error, "The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement this service." I am unable to start the Exchange Routing Engine Service and it fails. I tried to add IMAP4Svc, RESvc & POP3Svc which were missing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\InetInfo\Parameters\DispatchEntries with NO GO. Some background: IIS components SMTP & NNTP were removed some how and I had to install that again and since then i am s...

import- number- sort?

admin console cannot start, mapi problems
admin console cannot start, mapi problems. server 5.5sp4 working well, outlook session cannot run on server, same mapi problems Any error message in event log? -- Alvin "daniv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ���g��l��s�D :10bef01c440b0$5525aa10$a001280a@phx.gbl... > admin console cannot start, mapi problems. > server 5.5sp4 working well, outlook session cannot run on > server, same mapi problems As I understand you installed Outlook on your Exchange Server, which is not a good idea. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313889 Dajo O...

Multiple Line Invoice Non-Inventory Item Descriptions
What is the recommended way to accomodate more than 3 lines of description for a non-inventory invoice line item? I've had people do it different ways. One way has been using the item comment field. Another way has been to use Extender to provide a longer description field. "Scott Rutledge" <Scott Rutledge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CE42F6C-3633-4A1F-8C27-40D3BFAAF80C@microsoft.com... > What is the recommended way to accomodate more than 3 lines of description > for a non-inventory invoice line item? The lines would need to be differen...

I am trying to project out a line graph based on data
Hi, I have made a line chart based on some data for a fiften year period. I would like to plot out the future points for a thirty year period based on this data. Does anyone know how to do this? To perform a line projection, first click on the series the you would like to forecast. Go to Chart -> Add Trendline. The "options" tab will allow you to project the trend forward. You will probably want to use the "linear" option. It can also provide an equation which would allow you to manually calculate a future projection as opposed to using the trendline. -- Jo...

sorting macro #3

Bug in Grid Lines in CListCtrl Report View
Hi, This thing is again annoying me! whenever I display the grid lines using LVS_EX_GRIDLINES , there are problems when scrolling the CListCtrl at once , the grid lines seem to loose their position and thus generating a blurred view or sometimes just disappear temporarily. Have anyone else faced the same thing ? Thanks >whenever I display the grid lines using LVS_EX_GRIDLINES , there are >problems when scrolling the CListCtrl at once , the grid lines seem to loose >their position and thus generating a blurred view or sometimes just disappear > temporarily...

Charting Lines and Bars on Same Graph
I am having trouble charting a Quarterly Revenue Graph with Lines and Bars on same graph. I would like Revenue on Y Axis and Quarters on X Axis. I would like 2 base series as bars and 6 other series as lines. Any idea how to do that? (i'm in Excel 2000) I have gone to the chart wizard and chosen "Custom Types" and then "Line-Column". This automtically selects the first four in the series as bars and last 4 as lines. I would like only the first two as bars. Thank you!!! David - Chart all eight series as lines. Select one to change to columns, choose Char...

New Line in Cell
Appol's in advance if this is really obvious. I have been given a spreadsheet and its looks as though somehow the person has been able to do carriage returns that create a new line in the same cell. For me it simply jumps to the next cell. Anyone know how to do the new line in cell please? Ta. Bill. Hold down the Alt key and press Enter at the same time. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 30, 9:05=A0am, "Bill" <b...@bill.com> wrote: > Appol's in advance if this is really obvious. > > I have been given a spreadsheet and its looks as though somehow the perso...

starting Word from an Excel macro
I found this piece of code by Bob Phillips that opens a Word document from within an Excel macro. Dim oWord as Object Dim oDoc as Object Set oWord = CreateObject("Word.Application") oWord.Visible = True Set oDoc = oWord.Documents.Open("C:\personal\bob\personal\CV - RP (short).doc") It works fine but it also closes the Excel file that contains the macro. Is there a way to prevent the Excel file from closing? -- russ Russ, There's nothing in that snippet that will close the Excel Application. I think you need to post all yo...

Draw continous vertical line in report detail section
My report has a report header approx 1.5" tall, a page header approx 0.5" tall, followed by the detail section. How can I print a fixed height detail section with verticle lines even if there are only a few records? Essentially, trying to replicate a paper form. The line starts at the bottom of the page header and continues to the top of page footer. In a post a couple days ago, Allen Browne recommended the below for drawing a line down the entire page.....this close, and I am trying to figure out a similar approach for the detail section. Private Sub Report_Page() Me....

line chart displays wrong values
Yesterday my chart wizard went crazy A simple chart, I've done them thousands of times Now when I select 2 series and try to plot a 2 line chart the first series plots fine and the second plots as the sum of the two series. I tried shutting down, restarting, typing the data manually into a new sheet, sending the data to a colleague -- the result is the same HELP! -- koche005 It sounds like you created a stacked line chart. To change it: Select the chart Choose Chart>Chart Type Select the Line chart type Select the Line chart sub-type (at the top left) Click OK koche005 wrote: &...

Sorting checking register

Assign a macro to Command Button Object
When I right click on my command Button to locate the option of assign to macro its not their. How do I get the option to assign to macro to appear? The other options are available to me on the command button but not the assign to macro??? -- thanks, mc Hi Dallin, If the button is from the Control Toolbox, double-click the button which will take you to the sheet module and provide you with a macro stub for the CommandButton something like: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() End Sub Insert insert the body of your macro between the two stub lines. Alternatively, if the macro you ...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...