Service Packs and installing OS's?

Hi. I was wondering if someone downloaded and saved a Service Pack, installed
an OS, then installed that Service Pack: Would it save them from downloading
the prior service packs and updates?

Eg: A person installs Windows XP with Service Pack 1. But beforehand they
got a copy of Service Pack 3. They then install Service PAck 3 ontop of
Service Pack 1. Hence erasing the need to get Service Pack 2.

Or do you need to start from the first update and get the rest no matter what?

Windows update messages told me Service packs have all the previous updates
and service packs with the newer one. So Service Pack 3 has everything before
is (including Service Pack 2 and 1).

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I was wondering if someone downloaded and saved a Service Pack, installed
> an OS, then installed that Service Pack: Would it save them from downloading
> the prior service packs and updates?
>
> Eg: A person installs Windows XP with Service Pack 1. But beforehand they
> got a copy of Service Pack 3. They then install Service PAck 3 ontop of
> Service Pack 1. Hence erasing the need to get Service Pack 2.
>
> Or do you need to start from the first update and get the rest no matter what?
>
> Windows update messages told me Service packs have all the previous updates
> and service packs with the newer one. So Service Pack 3 has everything before
> is (including Service Pack 2 and 1).

What you heard from Windows Update is true in theory, but the devil is in the
details and here it is:

"To install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), either Windows XP Service Pack 1a
(SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed."

Read all about it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/

Google is your friend.

0
David
3/23/2010 11:59:33 AM
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:29:01 -0700, Brian V
<BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi. I was wondering if someone downloaded and saved a Service Pack, installed
>an OS, then installed that Service Pack: Would it save them from downloading
>the prior service packs and updates?
>
>Eg: A person installs Windows XP with Service Pack 1. But beforehand they
>got a copy of Service Pack 3. They then install Service PAck 3 ontop of
>Service Pack 1. Hence erasing the need to get Service Pack 2.
>
>Or do you need to start from the first update and get the rest no matter what?
>
>Windows update messages told me Service packs have all the previous updates
>and service packs with the newer one. So Service Pack 3 has everything before
>is (including Service Pack 2 and 1).

Regardless of what the service pack contains, the system must be at a
level that meets the requirements documented for the service pack.

--
Remove del for email
0

Windows Installer loads every time I open Excel 2007
Hi all, I'm facing the following problem: when I open Excel 2007 the windows installer loads every time... is not going to give me any error, but it's something annoying... does anyone has any solution??? thanks Vit p.s. this happens also with other office 2007 applications Try clicking "Help" and then "Detect and Repair..." That worked for me when I had the same problem. ...

getting reporting services web service to work
The error I am getting is 'The selected report is not ready for viewing. The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)'. There are lots of answers on the web and I have tried alot of them including obtaining extract space. The error I am getting is: " The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)". I am using using windows-authentication to the datasource, and I am wondering if I am not setting up the pass-through properly on the web-service.? Thus to correc...

sites and services servers
Hi I recently went into our AD site and services and noticed under servers there are about 4 servers that havent been online for months. Is it safe to just remove/delete them here? Also our licensing server is listing a dead server? Wondering why it never showed anything in event log. This is a 2003 sp2 server in a small domain with 2 other DCs Thanks Shem You need to perform a metadata cleanup. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736378(WS.10).aspx You can follow this article to change the licensing sever http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...

Outlook slow after installing SP2
Hi, I have just installed all the SP's for Office 2002 and now Outlook is running very slowly; specifically when you move from message to message... takes some time to show the preview. This was previously very fast. Anyone aware of a fix? O/S WinXP Pro with all SP's and updates. PC is a Toshiba notebook, with P4 2.0HGz, 512Mb, etc. Tks, DaveA Try going to Tools -> Options -> Other and disabling Instant Messaging integration. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Dave" ...

CRM services (help!!!!)
I have CRM installed on a W2K3 SP1 box, member server The CRM was installed to have the accompanying services run under the Domain Admin acct. I know that in someway the authentication is tied into to AD, from doing some reading up on CRM. Can I switch the services to run under the 'Local System' acct. without any problems. Reason being is that I have some KDC event ID 11 errors showing on my DC, which state that there are duplicate SPN name associated with the server running the CRM, and with further research found that the SPN names for the server were also attached to the A...

Re-Install on Re-Imaged computer error
I have recently been forced to re-image my computer due to spyware, viruses, (and various other things microsoft cannot deal with). Durring my reinstalation of microsoft outlook (it is a legal copy pre-packaged with a pocket pc), i came upon the error 'This product has allready been instaled on another computer',,, great... thanks for the info. of course the other computer was the same computer with a diffrent image on it. So due to poor programing i am left without a product i paid for. if anyone has encountered this error before, please reply.(i would have tried directly co...

Services don't start when server restarts.
The information store and MTA stacks services do not start when server is restarted. How do I fix this problem? Check your Event Veiwer, any errors? What are the associated event id #'s. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Micah Pokorney" <micah@primeadvantage.com> wrote in message news:137f01c3df7d$df537300$a501280a@phx.gbl... > The information store and MTA stacks services do not > start when server is restarted. How do I fix this > problem? ...

Resolution for the compatibility issue in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Products after Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is installed
------=_NextPart_0001_EC57D3FB Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Good afternoon, Microsoft has released a fix for the compatibility issue in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Products after Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is installed The Microsoft Dynamics Retail Development team has identified problems when Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows XP SP3 is installed. Running these service packs, without the below fix installed, may cause data loss in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System or Microsoft Dynamics - Point of Sale datab...

MTA Service
Hello, we are having exchange 5.5 server, its hard drive fails. i have installed new server and restoed the backup but MTA service is not starting. other Exchange Dirtocory, IS sA is working anybody can suggest. regards "azam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >we are having exchange 5.5 server, its hard drive fails. i >have installed new server and restoed the backup but MTA >service is not starting. other Exchange Dirtocory, IS sA >is working anybody can suggest. >regards Check the application event log. There will be some ev...

Installing CRM Breaks CompanyWeb
I am trying to install MS CRM on a Small Business Server 2003 server. When I do, it 'breaks' the Companyweb. I know MS has a big promotion with CRM and SBS 2003 so there MUST be a way to install CRM on a SBS 2003 server without breaking Companyweb. Can anyone tell me how? Thanks - Larry -- Larry Lentz, MCSE+Internet & W2K, MCDBA GoldMine Certified Professional Lentz Computer Services www.LentzComputer.Net Larry@LentzComputer.Net > I am trying to install MS CRM on a Small Business Server 2003 server. When I > do, it 'breaks' the Companyweb. I know MS has a big pr...

Service Scheduling MS CRM
Guys There are some extremely knowledgeable people in here I am hoping some one can help me. Any help you can give me is appreciate. We will not mind paying for your help if you are a freelancer and would spend time getting this to work for us. We have an implementation of Microsoft CRM 3.0 and would like to use the Service Scheduling to help us run our fleet of buses. We have a fleet of 8 buses, 6 drivers and need to schedule them for a variety of jobs. Each bus has a capacity of 20, 30 or 50. The buses can be out of order and drivers can be on holiday or off sick. We want to able ...

Problem installing CRM 09-09-03
We are trying to install Microsoft CRM Server for testing purposes on a Windows Server 2003 machine. I have install all the needed software, including SQL Server SP3, IIS, Indexing services, Message Queuing, etc. We are running into some issues: First, anyone know for sure that CRM Server will run on Win Server 2003? Prob 1: When I try to open http://localhost on the server, it gives the following message: "The Microsoft CRM server or security service has been disabled or has not yet started..." Prob 2: When I try to open the CRM deployment manager, I get the following er...

Unable to Install Publisher 2003 with Office 2003
I bought Microsoft Publisher 2003 at the same time but in a separate package with Microsoft Office: Student and Teacher 2003. The installation gets to the point where I enter my key, it works. But shortly afterwards there is an error message saying that it cannot find Office 98, Office 2000, or Office XP on my computer and that this is necessary to install Publisher 2003, and it prompts me to designate a drive where it is found. But then the installation repeats that it cannot find Office 98, Office 2000, or Office XP and stops. I really hope that it's not impossible for Publisher...

Default automatic start Exchange Services
I had to do some work on my Exchange System and disabled some of the sevices. I just want to double check on the default MS Exchange services that get started "Automatic". Thanks. Hi, It would help if you posted which version of Exchange server you are using :-) Leif "AllenM" <ghost@nodomain.com> wrote in message news:e$yvgFfcGHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I had to do some work on my Exchange System and disabled some of the >sevices. I just want to double check on the default MS Exchange services >that get started "Automatic". Thanks...

Removing Personal Folders in Services
Hello I have a problem in removing my other Personal Folder (2003 and 2004 folders) in my Folder list, I already change the Delivery to another Folder (2005 forlder) then I want to delete the other personal folders. I used the Close "Personal Folders" to close the old personal forlders but the folder still exist in my Folder List and when I open the Services then the Delivery tab the old folder still exist. How can i remove that? Can you help me with this, is there something i can do to the registry, something like that pls helppp.... Hi You may want to create a new profile ...

where do I find my 25 product key number on a pre installed PC
I bought my acer computer from tesco, it was pre installed with microsoft, I did not get a CD with it and have looked everywhere on the packaging but I cannot find the 25 figure product key number. Look on the computer itself, it's often there. -- Sylvain Lafontaine, ing. MVP - Windows Live Platform Blog/web site: http://coding-paparazzi.sylvainlafontaine.com Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server (French) "stainforth" <stainforth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:59673B2E-E271-4C04-A792-FAC52E039FD1@mic...

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service failed to sta
Several error messages in the System event log as follows: Event Type: Error Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7000 Date: 5/12/2004 Time: 3:18:56 PM User: N/A Computer: CRM01 Description: The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service failed to start due to the following error: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Hi Brian I have had same hassle at one of ou...

VC++ 2008 Feature Pack -> Outlookbar
Hello, i got s strange problem with an MFC application under VC++ 2008 with the feature pack installed. I had build a SDI application with an outlook bar. The application was build with the wizard. After building and runnning of the generated code, everything worked fine, and the outlook bar on the left pane was visible and functional (folder button and calendar button). After the following lines in the CMainFrame::CreateOutlookBar() funtion had been disabled (via comments): //tree.Create(dwTreeStyle, rectDummy, &bar, 1200); //bNameValid = strTemp.LoadString(IDS_FOLDERS); //ASSERT...

Problems installing a program
Trying to install Adobe reader on my Vista Home Premium (SP-2) system, I encountered numerous "privilege" problems. UAC is disabled, I R-Clicked on the installer and selected "Run as Administrator". The installation was interrupted numerous times, saying the installer lacked privileges to write to various different folders, mostly under the Program Data folder, and also in the Start Menu folder. On each occasion, I had to open Explorer, R-Click on the folder in question, and "Take Ownership" of it. I am the sole user of this system, so if I don&#...

Problem in installing sample Toaster Function driver on Windows 7
Hello Sir , I m a newbie to windows driver development, i was involved with linux driver development in past . I have downloaded WDK 7.1.0 and installed on my development PC with Win XP. I use WIndows 7 Debug Build (x86) on my target pc . I have compiled all the driver samples from WDK for Win 7 x86 Debug Build environment . Whenever I try to install the Toaster Function KMDF driver( wdfsimple.sys/wdffeatured.sys) on Windows 7 x86 target PC using "Add Hardware wizard" as per the steps described in WDK Documentation i get error box saying "...

GP 8 Service Pack 5 Service Advantage
Hi, I am upgrading from GP 8 to GP 9 as the first step I installed GP 8 SP 5 and getting error message about SVC00951 (invalid object), which is a ServiceAdvantage table. There are no ServiceAdvantage tables in the company database. any ideas ? thanks Syed ...

adding button on edit.aspx and calling external .net web service in event handler
Hi, In the case section in Microsoft CRM Server if I open through web site in iis,I go to the edit.aspx and try adding a button server control or html control button,asp.net control addition gives error,because perhaps the formbase is a custom control refrenced through assembly,so I am looking to add a button on the page from where I can call a web service to send a fax,is it possible through isv config file,this is my first day in office with this server,I get errors in the case screen when i add aspx button to edit.aspx,the whole form seems to be made from 3 custom controls thru 3 assembly ...

Windows service with web service interface
Hi Friends, I want to design a windows service that also has web service interface. Any tips for that ? Thanks Ashish I think this is the wrong newsgroup for this type of question. You are better off finding a more appropriate newsgroup. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Ashish" <asdd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#nj3aTuXDHA.3232@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi Friends, > I want to design a windows service that also has web service interface. Any > tips for that ? > Thanks > Ashish > ...

Service Management Equipment Inquiry
Would like the ability to grant users view-only access to Equipment Records. There is no read-only window for Equipment. The users would need to see the same information that exists on the Equipment Maintenance window, but not have the ability to make changes. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then cli...

Messenger Service Not Installed Error
I recently deleted then reinstalled MSN. Now every time I try to sign into my MSN explorer account I get the following error: "Messenger Not Installed MSN Messenger Service is not installed on this machine. It is a critical part of MSN Explorer and must be repaired before you can use MSN Explorer again. We'd like to repair it for you." When I allow MSN to "Repair Now" I get a notice that MSN has experience an internal error and must resart. When I go through the process of reporting the error, this is supposedly what is error signature sent: AppNa...