Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the first copy

Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
first copy?

A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
harddrive, and one person said he did that.

Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
won't run.

What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?

Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
except to run the AV.

Any other problems?

Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
other friends or me someday.

Thanks a lot.

0
mm

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.
>
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.
>
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>
> Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.
>
> Any other problems?
>

> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Since you have some spare disks the safest method would go like this:
1. Disconnect her existing disk.
2. Connect your disk.
3. Install Windows and a virus scanner.
4. Connect here disk as a slave disk.
5. Scan her disk.

Note, however, that virus scanners are good at *preventing* infection. They
can only do a moderate job at *cleaning* infections. It all depends on the
damage that the virus did. After going through the above steps, her machine
might still be crippled. If it was my own machine then I would do a clean
installation. Much less hassle and a guaranteed outcome.

0
Pegasus
9/12/2010 5:58:44 AM
On 9/12/2010 1:01 AM, mm wrote:
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>=20
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.=20
>=20
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.=20
>=20
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>=20
> Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.=20
>=20
> Any other problems?
>=20
>=20
> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.=20
>=20
> Thanks a lot.=20

Try installing and running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode.  Then run it again
after a restart.  Or:

Download this Avira Antivir Rescue System program which will burn a CD
image to a blank CD.  It's updated a few times per day.  Insert the CD
into the damaged machine and let it do a scan of your system.  Before
starting the scan, select "Configuration" and set to repair or rename
the infected files.  Sometimes your machine won't restart after such a
repair process, so you might want to save needed files to another system
before using this.  If you can't, then you can move the hard drive to
another machine to copy needed files.  You can do that before, or after
this scan.

http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

Then run these:

Malwarebytes=A9 Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

AVG now has a Rescue CD that's free.  They also have a free USB download
that should work on newer systems that can boot from a USB device.  Get
them here:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd

You can try some of the CD's mentioned at the following site.
BitDefender was my favorite, but if the infected machine can't connect
to the internet to get updates, Avira comes with current virus
definitions.  Also, some of these just won't run on some systems,
perhaps because there's no drivers available for some system devices,
motherboard, graphics card, etc.  So try a few of these till you find
one that works:

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list=
/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available,
(though no .exe is available for BitDefender).

After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot.  You'll need to copy any
quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
exiting.

--=20

Joe   =3Do)

0
Elmo
9/12/2010 12:46:38 PM
mm wrote:
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.
>
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.
>
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>
> Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.
>
> Any other problems?
>

> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.
>
> Thanks a lot.

I agree with Pegasus.

Some malware is easier to get rid of than others. And some malware can
be so entrenched that a Clean Install is the quickest way to get back to
a working PC.

Perhaps if you told us the name of this infection, we could have a
better idea which method you would be wisest to use.

Installing another instance of XP on the hard drive is not necessary if
you can slave the hard drive to a working machine and use the good PC to
scan it (it would definitely be quicker!). Or you could use one of these
devices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Adapters+and+gender+changers-_-Apricorn-_-12161002

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

0
Daave
9/12/2010 2:55:50 PM
On Sep 12, 1:01=A0am, mm <NOPSAMmm2...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.
>
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.
>
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>
> Would this work? =A0Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.
>
> Any other problems?
>
> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run. =A0She has only one drive. =A0Either it has =A0plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives. =A0I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Which is it with MBAM and SAS - won't install or won't run?

Some malware knows what the installation programs and executables of
MBAM and SAS look like by their file names and will not let them
launch, so you sometimes have to outsmart them.  The malware is afraid
of MBAM and SAS.

The solution (if you got it downloaded) it to rename the installation
file and/or the executable to something the malware will not recognize
- like jose.exe, then it will launch.

MBAM does not recommend running in Safe Mode, I don't know why it is
ever even suggested (oh yeah - it is always preceded with the word
"try").

Here is info from the Malwarebytes CEO:

MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in
safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not
work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types
of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection
process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections
which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not
always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so
it
does not limit the abilities of MBAM.

Scanning in Normal Mode, that is the best for detection rates.
--------------------
Marcin Kleczynski
Malwarebytes President and CEO

Installing a second copy of Windows is not a solution, since you have
not fixed the problem.
0
Jose
9/12/2010 3:28:46 PM
Three more possibilities:

* SUPERAntiSpyware offers an Online Safe Scan at
http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html

* David Lipman's Multi-AV scanning tool. I'm not sure if it's been updated
recently, but basically it runs a bunch of other programs to detect and get
rid of malware.
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/sicherheit/35905/multi_av_scanning_tool.html

Information about running this program is at
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/09/scan-your-computer-with-multiple-anti-virus-for-free/

* Something that is very powerful but also dangerous if you don't know what
you're doing (but if you might need to reinstall the OS anyway is worth a
try): Combo-Fix, which you can download at Bleeping Computer. I believe the
procedure is to disconnect the affected computer from any network, download
the program to a
flash drive or a clean computer, copy it to the affected computer, and run
it. I read about it in an Internet Explorer newsgroup post back in June and
suggested it to someone with a bad infection. He used it, and it worked. A
guide to using Combo-Fix is at
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Jo-Anne

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.
>
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.
>
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>
> Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.
>
> Any other problems?
>

> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.
>
> Thanks a lot.

0
Jo
9/12/2010 4:13:55 PM
In news:egCUbqoULHA.2104@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Daave typed on Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:55:50 -0400:
[.]
> Some malware is easier to get rid of than others. And some malware can
> be so entrenched that a Clean Install is the quickest way to get back
> to a working PC.

Actually restoring from a backup is far faster. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

0
BillW50

Excel combo box
Is there an easy way to maintain a date format from the original cell through selection via a combo box? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you add the items yourself--instead of using listfillrange, then the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar will keep the formatting: Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() Dim myCell As Range With Me.ComboBox1 .ListFillRange = "" .Clear For Each myCell In Me.Range("a1:a14").Cells .AddItem myCell.Text Next myCell End With End Sub or if you want...

Need only one DLL instance to run...

How do I copy pages so that formats also arrive at the destinatio
Whenever I copy a worksheet to a new page, I have to reset the column widths, Bold selections, alignments, etc. How do I copy so that the non-text material appears at the destination? "Paste special" doesn't help. Thanks Peg Hi Peg, Why does PasteSpecial not help?? Seems it has everything you're asking for. :? -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack) To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as to benefit others. "Peg" <Peg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC00EE5B-02A6-445A-97CC...

in box header telephone bent arrow and envelope
messages in inbox: those with a telephone, bent arrow, and an envelope will not open, I cannot delete. I can read them from web mail, but I want to down load and/or delete. any help out there? what type of email acct do you have? is outlook online? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange ...

How to copy macro from template into document programaticaly?
There is one template. By this template I'm creating new document. I need to copy one macro from this template into this document into module ThisDocument. How? Thank you. Just one macro? There are others that you do NOT want copied over? You do know, I assume, that procedures in a template can be used in a document cloned from that template - as long as the .DOT file is available. To answer your question though, you could put that procedure into a exported file (as a separate module perhaps), and then as part of your template Document_New(), import that file into the newly c...

Combo box multi autocomplete
Hi am very new to access and am making fair progress, but have struck a problem. I have a database with an old existing table and am creating a new table and form for it. On the new form I want to combo box select a value (say name) from the old table and have it auto complete other fields (say customer number, telephone number, address) on the form and store these into the new table under slightly different column names. Any direction would be much appreciated.. Why would you want to store the data redundantly? That's seldom a good idea. In any case, remember that your combo box can co...

Excel Validation Drop Down Box
Is there any way to increase the size of the text in the validation drop down box? If the sheet is zoomed to say 60% the text in the box is not readable. No, but you may find this helpful: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger In article <0a4c01c3999c$92878a10$a001280a@phx.gbl>, "Mike S." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there any way to increase the size of the text in the > validation drop down box? If the sheet is zoomed to say > 60% the text in the box is not readable. ...

run time error 10-22-03

xp desktop and start button missin
cant get into to windows even in safe mode have to go to task manager to open anytgin In task mgr,locate "new task",type: cmd In cmd type: CHKDSK C: After,you may want to type: Sfc /Scannow Install xp cd,exit the menu page.Once its thru,remove xp cd,type: CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,type: EXIT Restart pc. "jen" wrote: > cant get into to windows even in safe mode have to go to task manager to open > anytgin ...

Automatically run macro

Excel Continuous Running Total

mail merge wiht Office xp
I liked the old mail merge in office 2000. Can i configure office Xp mail merge to work like office 2000? ...

Money 2002 will not run

Xp Vs Win98 style
I use VisualC++ 6. I have seen that the applications created with my VC6 the windows, buttons and all results with win98 design. How is possible to convert this kind of style in the new XP style with flat and colorized buttons etc. You might search the Web for manifest and XP themes. If you are still using VC6, then you need to create a manifest file (which can actually work as a separate file instead of being linked into your EXE as a resource). Things are a bit different with VS 2005. -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com "Milkas" <Milk...

Re: Workflow just wont run automatically, i have to run them manually
Yes, but i realized what i was doing wrong. I assumed [bad idea] that if i create a case and hit Save & Close the first time, taht the rule will run. In order for the rule to run automatically, it has to be Save, once it saves it, then Save & Close. Thanks for your reply. "Hi, Did you check the workflow monitor to see if the rules get triggered correctly and complete sucessfully ? Have a nice day, St=E9phane Dorrekens " --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://...

Copy Import/Export Specifications
Is it possible to Copy Import/Export Specifications from one table to another? -- Joseph Meehan Dia 's Muire duit In the File/Get External Data/ Import dialog, choose the database, then in the next dialog, check the options button and select the import/export specifications checkbox. "Joseph Meehan" <sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:46b22cce$0$3131$4c368faf@roadrunner.com... > Is it possible to Copy Import/Export Specifications from one table to > another? > > -- > Joseph Meehan > > Dia 's Muire duit > P...

copy meeting invites
Hello... I am trying to figure out how to copy a meeting and not move it. It is not recurring with any consistency due to availability. I invite a distribution list and agenda/open items created for 1PM on Monday. How do I create a followup meeting on Wednesday at 11AM without moving the Monday meeting or starting from scratch.? outlook 07... "jmac60" <jmac60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31A710E6-43B3-4BBC-A9F1-9F5B0D6CACDB@microsoft.com... > I am trying to figure out how to copy a meeting and not move it. It is not > recurring wi...

Outlook Still Running
I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make sure this does not happen? Thanks for your help -- Neil Remove ABCD from Email address to reply <neil154ABCD@earthlink.net> wrote: > I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit > out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still > running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make > sure this does not happ...

Cant Restart XP Home Edt / Desktop doesnt reload / Blank Screen
Thank you All in advance for your responds. My laptop froze and I had to restart it using the on/off button. During the reboot, I saw the windows logo showing on my screen while loading just like normal, however, my desktop never reloaded. Now, It appears a blank black screen after the reloading process. No error messages either. I push the F8 button to access the "advanced options menu" during the restart. I tried safe mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normalls but none of those options worked. I didnt want to get into more technical stuff without...

Copy Local Message Rule
I've created a complicated message rule for filtering that I would like to put on other client machines. Can I copy it? Is this possible? WIn2k server/ Exchange 2k w/all current SPs. STEVE ...

combo box in a query
Hi, Is it possible, do you think, to insert a combo box into the criteria section of a query? The user of the query will have a lot of units to choose from in the query and it would be easier for the user to have a drop down box to make a selection from. Can this be inserted into the query so that it appears and is functional when the query is run? If so...how would a novice go about it? Thanks, Regards, oic3120 Not directly, but you can enter a reference to a combo box as a parameter in the query. Create an unbound form with a combo box on it which lists all the possible values in o...

Very strange problems while running Great Plains on workstations
I notice that a few workstations in an office I support are having problems when they run Great Plains. Excel, Outlook, Word and Dynamics.exe are showing in the Application event log as being Hanging or Faulting. I also see Fault Bucket errors, but when I search online I cannot find any information online. Here is one of the Fault Bucket errors: 3:15:35 pm 28-Sep-06 Application Hang None 1001 N/A Fault bucket 296734104. Also, these workstations are experiencing problems printing PDF files. Has anyone out there seen this behavior and if so, how can these problems be fixed? Thank you, ...