Run a particular application with admin privilege

Hi,

How can I make sure that a limited user account can start a particular
application with admin prievelege without providing any admin username and
password?

Around ten users, who have limited account, need to run application for
their job but if the application is not run with admin privielege then it
does not let the user to benefit from all available options. I don't want to
elevate their account to power user  or administrator and don't want to
provide them with admininstarot password either.

Any idea how to resolve this isssue?

thanks.

JohnSmith1 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I make sure that a limited user account can start a particular
> application with admin prievelege without providing any admin username and
> password?
>
> Around ten users, who have limited account, need to run application for
> their job but if the application is not run with admin privielege then it
> does not let the user to benefit from all available options. I don't want to
> elevate their account to power user  or administrator and don't want to
> provide them with admininstarot password either.
>
> Any idea how to resolve this isssue?

You will have to use third party tools, use one that encrypts the
password or else it will be available for all to see if they take a peek
at your script or batch file.  Some suggestions:

http://www.softtreetech.com/24x7/archive/53.htm
http://www.schwietz.org/runadminbat/en/

John
0
John
3/16/2010 2:38:48 PM

"JohnSmith1" <JohnSmith1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How can I make sure that a limited user account can start a particular
> application with admin prievelege without providing any admin username and
> password?
>
> Around ten users, who have limited account, need to run application for
> their job but if the application is not run with admin privielege then it
> does not let the user to benefit from all available options. I don't want
> elevate their account to power user  or administrator and don't want to
> provide them with admininstarot password either.
>
> Any idea how to resolve this isssue?
>
> thanks.

You could use one of the many "runas" tools, e.g. CPAU from
http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/cpau.htm. However, you need to be
aware that a computer-savvy user can use your process to run his own stuff
with elevated privileges, e.g.
- By substituting his own program for the one that you want him to use
- By working out how you supply the password to "runas" and using it for his
own program.

0
Pegasus
3/16/2010 2:48:49 PM
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "JohnSmith1" <JohnSmith1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I make sure that a limited user account can start a particular
>> application with admin prievelege without providing any admin username
>> and
>> password?
>>
>> Around ten users, who have limited account, need to run application for
>> their job but if the application is not run with admin privielege then it
>> does not let the user to benefit from all available options. I don't want
>> elevate their account to power user  or administrator and don't want to
>> provide them with admininstarot password either.
>>
>> Any idea how to resolve this isssue?
>>
>> thanks.
>
> You could use one of the many "runas" tools, e.g. CPAU from
> http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/cpau.htm. However, you need to be
> aware that a computer-savvy user can use your process to run his own stuff
> with elevated privileges, e.g.
> - By substituting his own program for the one that you want him to use
> - By working out how you supply the password to "runas" and using it for
> his own program.

Couldn't he just add all 'users' to the permissions tab of the prog in
question - which would require turning off simple file sharing in XP, and if
using XPHome, getting access to the tabs in safe mode.

I say this because we had a similar problem with an HP all in one, that only
administrators could use.  This was because HP had set the permissions at
the factory, but because we were using 'simple' file sharing we could not
see the permissions tabs and so did not understand why 'users' were being
denied access.  Once we had access to the tabs, we could give the necessary
permissions.  (That said I find the whole subject fiddly and am often
refused access to things that I have set up as network shares!)

spamlet
3/16/2010 8:05:49 PM
JohnSmith1 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I make sure that a limited user account can start a particular
> application with admin prievelege without providing any admin username and
> password?
>
> Around ten users, who have limited account, need to run application for
> their job but if the application is not run with admin privielege then it
> does not let the user to benefit from all available options. I don't want to
> elevate their account to power user  or administrator and don't want to
> provide them with admininstarot password either.
>
> Any idea how to resolve this isssue?
>
> thanks.

	The best way to resolve the problem would be to replace the application
with a version that is actually WinXP-compatible.  Then you won't need
to compromise security for the sake of using yhis legacy application.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce
3/17/2010 3:38:41 AM
Have you tried installing to a folder that is "Shared" over the network?  I
used to do this when using Netscape version 4.80 (very old program), and
some DOS compilers and some DOS applications.

If you want it I can post step by instructions to implement this but I
suspect you know what I mean by Shared over the network.  The Shared folder
has to be Read/Write Access by all.  So only this folder is prone to attack
nothing else.

hth

"JohnSmith1" <JohnSmith1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How can I make sure that a limited user account can start a particular
> application with admin prievelege without providing any admin username and
> password?
>
> Around ten users, who have limited account, need to run application for
> their job but if the application is not run with admin privielege then it
> does not let the user to benefit from all available options. I don't want
> elevate their account to power user  or administrator and don't want to
> provide them with admininstarot password either.
>
> Any idea how to resolve this isssue?
>
> thanks.

0
LD55ZRA

SOAP Server Application Faulted 08-10-04

Need only one DLL instance to run...

MDI and Dialog based applications show different performance
Hello all, I have created three versions of obstensibly the same application. Two of these versions are multi-threaded; the main worker thread of these applications is very compute intensive. The third version is a console application and is not multi-threaded The first applicaton is Dialog based and the second is an MDI (multi document) application. The only real diffenence between the two is in the user interface. The user interface is obstensibly These two applications share a common code base for the worker thread. The code for this worker theard is virtually identical to that code...

Automatically run macro

run time error 10-22-03

Excel Continuous Running Total

Money 2002 will not run

Ways to Start a particular form?
1) I want to automatically open a particular form when the Access file (Access 2007) is opened. I would prefer doing this with a Macro. 2) I would also like to start a particular form what I click on a menu page to open it? Suggestions PLEASE? Question 1 - Create a macro named Autoexec with action OpenForm and the form as argurment. It will run every time Access is opened except when the SHIFT key is held down. Querstion 2 - What kind of 'menu page' do you have? -- Build a little, test a little. "BobC" wrote: > 1) I want to automatical...

Re: Workflow just wont run automatically, i have to run them manually
Yes, but i realized what i was doing wrong. I assumed [bad idea] that if i create a case and hit Save & Close the first time, taht the rule will run. In order for the rule to run automatically, it has to be Save, once it saves it, then Save & Close. Thanks for your reply. "Hi, Did you check the workflow monitor to see if the rules get triggered correctly and complete sucessfully ? Have a nice day, St=E9phane Dorrekens " --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://...

Outlook Still Running
I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make sure this does not happen? Thanks for your help -- Neil Remove ABCD from Email address to reply <neil154ABCD@earthlink.net> wrote: > I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit > out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still > running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make > sure this does not happ...

Publisher 2000 will not run
I had problems with Publisher 98 not running which we=20 never did solve so I installed office 2000 to see if=20 Publisher 2000 would function. Same problem: The flash=20 screen pops up and then disappears. No program. Microsoft=AE Publisher 2000 Version 6.0 has encountered a=20 problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the=20 inconvenience. Howard, hi again, Have you tried opening Publisher in safe mode? Publisher retains all printer information within its publications. If you can open Publisher in safe mode, either regress or update your printer and video drivers. -- Mary Sauer MS MV...

Very strange problems while running Great Plains on workstations
I notice that a few workstations in an office I support are having problems when they run Great Plains. Excel, Outlook, Word and Dynamics.exe are showing in the Application event log as being Hanging or Faulting. I also see Fault Bucket errors, but when I search online I cannot find any information online. Here is one of the Fault Bucket errors: 3:15:35 pm 28-Sep-06 Application Hang None 1001 N/A Fault bucket 296734104. Also, these workstations are experiencing problems printing PDF files. Has anyone out there seen this behavior and if so, how can these problems be fixed? Thank you, ...

Macro automatic run at open
Is there a simple way to have a macro automatically started when a workbook is open? Thanks Francesco Francesco, use the workbook open event, like this, Private Sub Workbook_Open() MsgBox "It Works!" End Sub To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and pick View Code. This icon is at the top-left of the spreadsheet this will open the VBA editor to the thisworkbook module, then, paste the code in the window that opens on the right hand side, press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your workbook, now this will run every time you ...

Running diferent query with one command
I would like to run queries with just one botton and a date dispalyed in a form. If Sunday March 09, 2008, is dispalyed I would like to click on a button and run a query that will select emloyees that are scheduled to work on this day of the week along with other pertinent information already preselected by that query. Currenlty I am using 7 diferrent buttons to run 7 differnrent append queries but it is too confusing and I am sure there is an better way. Thanks Charles -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200803/1 Why 7 butt...

Win 7 Pro running 64 bit with Outlook 2007. Problem: frequent cras
I have a brand-new computer with i-7 processors and 8 GB of RAM running Win 7 Pro 64-bit. At the time of upgrading to new computer, i upgraded office 2003 to 2007. For the first month, all was well. Suddenly, my computer started crashing regularly, as in every 30 minutes. The screen would go blank, the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work, and I would have to do a hard reboot. The store where i bought the PC has done everything imaginable to try to isolate the problem. They have swapped out every component, including the RAM, motherboard, power supply, video card and all ca...

Run AutoDim without running Integration
I wonder how to modify the AutoDim.txt file so that every time the it only execute the macro file to logon into Great Plains, run couple of posting and then logoff Great Plains after posting. Is AutoDim able to run without running any integration? I don't see that happening as it wasn't the original idea behind the application. However if all you want to do is what you are saying, just create a macro to do this and run it via a scheduler. I believe there are several KB articles that talk about macros and dynamics/great plains. patrick developer support -- This posting is...

Execution of application inside a window
Hi How can I force an application A (windows based) to execute with the window of Application B. Regards Anjna Follow these simple step. 1. Run application A with SW_HIDE(You can call ShellExecute or WinExec). 2. Find a window which application A created(You can call FindWindow API). 3. Change the window parent to a window of application B(You can call SetParent API). 4. Now, you should show the window(You can call ShowWindow API). "ak" <anjnakhanna@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e7YRINulEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi > > How can I force an applicatio...

DTM Need help deciding which tests to run.
Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right group, so if I'm in the wrong place please tell me. I'm trying to get drivers signed for a USB device, and I'm not certain which category it falls under. The device uses winusb. It is an embedded system for test and measurement that only uses control and bulk transfers. It also has an embedded hub that exposes an additional port for general use. Thank you for your time, Jay Dolan Did you ever get through WHQL testing with winusb and the inf file? I am trying to pass WHQL testing and have encountered 3 errors ...

Preventing application exit
I want to prevent the user from existing my application if it has a long-running thread in operation. How would I do this? I assume the thread needs to send a message somewhere (to the main frame window?) when it starts, to tell the application to resist closing. The main frame's OnClose() handler would then check a variable somewhere to decide whether to close or not. But where do I send the message and how do I catch it? I don't think I understand the message system very well, which is a bit of a problem when programming Windows! --- Al. Think I've found it. A quick ...

Help me run a customer report
I need to know if there is a way to run a report so I may get a list of all customers that purchased products in one of our retail departments to send a flyer too in the future. There's a mailing list report in the Reports Library on Customer Source. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information "misshettie" <misshettie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

running a macro only if criteria are met
hello all, I have a macro that runs fine, the problem is it relies on user input and will run even if the data received is invalid. I can calculat simple checks to confirm if the user has inputted valid data, an simply set a test cell to either "YES" or "NO". Is there any way I can amend the macro such that if the cell reads "NO the macro stops and gives the user a relevant message, and if the cel reads "YES", the macro runs through as normal. any help/comments will be appreciated. CHEER -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi within you m...

MICROSOFT FRONTPAGE 2003 Running with Windows 7 HOME EDITION
Hi there It looks like the program works up to the point of logging into the website using Frontpage/Sharepoint option. It is my beliefe that Frontpage 2003 comes with everything you need for out of the box solutions. What do I need or what am I missing? Thanks -- Tony Ashlin So, do you actually have a web site with a host and an account set up with them? Don't quite understand what you are asking. What do you mean by "logging into the website"? -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "TonyAsh...