Restart remote computer

Hello Group:

Both Systems: Windows XP/SP3

I use Windows  remote desktop from home to my office computer.
Everything works fine unless I have to restart the office computer
from home. Every command I've tried from the home computer just shuts
the office computer down, and does not restart it. (The remote office
computer does not have a CMOS or other startup password preventing its
retarting.)

Here's what I've tried:

1. Start|Run|Taskmgr--->Shutdown|Restart
(CTRL-ALT-DEL) of course typed on the home keyboard only brings up the
taskmgr for the home computer.)

2. ALT-CTRl-END, and then choose "restart"
3. Batch commands such as this one (I didn't write any of them):

:START
cls
@echo off
echo.
echo Remote Desktop Client - shutdown or restart
echo.
echo When you use Remote Desktop you do not have
echo the usual restart/shutdown choices.
echo This will RESTART or SHUTDOWN the remote client
echo according to your choice.
echo.
echo 1. Restart
echo 2. Shutdown
echo 3. Abort
echo.
set /p userinp= Choose a number(1-3):
set userinp=%userinp:~0,1%
if "%userinp%"=="1" goto restart
if "%userinp%"=="2" goto shutdown
if "%userinp%"=="3" goto end
echo invalid choice
goto start
:restart

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Maybe it's something on the
remote computer which keeps it from restarting remotely.
Thanks!

Jack
0
JClark

On 9/3/2010 7:07 AM, JClark wrote:
> Hello Group:
>
> Both Systems: Windows XP/SP3
>
> I use Windows  remote desktop from home to my office computer.
> Everything works fine unless I have to restart the office computer
> from home. Every command I've tried from the home computer just shuts
> the office computer down, and does not restart it. (The remote office
> computer does not have a CMOS or other startup password preventing its
> retarting.)
>
> Here's what I've tried:
>
> 1. Start|Run|Taskmgr--->Shutdown|Restart
> (CTRL-ALT-DEL) of course typed on the home keyboard only brings up the
> taskmgr for the home computer.)
>
> 2. ALT-CTRl-END, and then choose "restart"
> 3. Batch commands such as this one (I didn't write any of them):
<snip>
> I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Maybe it's something on the
> remote computer which keeps it from restarting remotely.
> Thanks!
>
> Jack

You need the shutgui.exe tool from Microsoft.  I believe it came with
the NT 4 and 2000 server utility packs.  I'm sure you can find it if you
google for it.
0
The
9/3/2010 1:41:04 PM
In news:qfo186d619e7kapmit7s1bik27ko099n8a@4ax.com JClark
<jclark@invalid.com> wrote:

> I use Windows  remote desktop from home to my office computer.
> Everything works fine unless I have to restart the office computer
> from home. Every command I've tried from the home computer just shuts
> the office computer down, and does not restart it. (The remote office
> computer does not have a CMOS or other startup password preventing its
> retarting.)

Have you tried simply opening up a command window and entering

shutdown -r

?

If you're sitting at your office computer will "shutdown -r" work?

--
Bert Hyman	St. Paul, MN	bert@iphouse.com
0
Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy' <me951@privacy.com> wrote:

>On 9/3/2010 7:07 AM, JClark wrote:
>> Hello Group:
>>
>> Both Systems: Windows XP/SP3
>>
>> I use Windows  remote desktop from home to my office computer.
>> Everything works fine unless I have to restart the office computer
>> from home. Every command I've tried from the home computer just shuts
>> the office computer down, and does not restart it. (The remote office
>> computer does not have a CMOS or other startup password preventing its
>> retarting.)
>>
>> Here's what I've tried:
>>
>> 1. Start|Run|Taskmgr--->Shutdown|Restart
>> (CTRL-ALT-DEL) of course typed on the home keyboard only brings up the
>> taskmgr for the home computer.)
>>
>> 2. ALT-CTRl-END, and then choose "restart"
>> 3. Batch commands such as this one (I didn't write any of them):
><snip>
>> I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Maybe it's something on the
>> remote computer which keeps it from restarting remotely.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jack
>
>You need the shutgui.exe tool from Microsoft.  I believe it came with
>the NT 4 and 2000 server utility packs.  I'm sure you can find it if you
>google for it.
I have the Windows 2000 Resource Kit on CD. I'll look there and try
it.

Thanks.

Jack
0
JClark
9/4/2010 7:07:06 PM
On 03 Sep 2010 13:59:34 GMT, Bert Hyman <bert@iphouse.com> wrote:

>In news:qfo186d619e7kapmit7s1bik27ko099n8a@4ax.com JClark
><jclark@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I use Windows  remote desktop from home to my office computer.
>> Everything works fine unless I have to restart the office computer
>> from home. Every command I've tried from the home computer just shuts
>> the office computer down, and does not restart it. (The remote office
>> computer does not have a CMOS or other startup password preventing its
>> retarting.)
>
>Have you tried simply opening up a command window and entering
>
>shutdown -r
>
>?
>
>If you're sitting at your office computer will "shutdown -r" work?
I haven't tried either. The usual Windows shutdown routine works fine
in the office.
Thanks much.

I appreciate all replies and will work through the issue and post back
what seems to be the best solution.

Jack
0
JClark
9/4/2010 7:08:32 PM
You need to use the shutdown command; type "shutdown /i" at a Command
Prompt (either choose "Command Prompt" from "Accessories" on the Windows
Start Menu or type "cmd.exe" into the "Run" box).

Using the command: shutdown /i - with the [/i] switch, brings up an
easy-to-use user-interface dialog box.  In this, there is an empty panel
near the top, in which you pres either the "Add" or the "Browse" button to
add a remote computer to this space.

You would then choose what you want the remote PC to do (Shutdown, Restart,
Logoff ) from the drop-down list, below the box above.

Then you choose a number of seconds for the system to wait until it
executes the desired task in another box below that.

And, finally, you can type a message that will be displayed on the remote
computer.

Hope this helps.

==

Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)

"JClark" <jclark@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hello Group:
>
> Both Systems: Windows XP/SP3
>
> I use Windows  remote desktop from home to my office computer.
> Everything works fine unless I have to restart the office computer
> from home. Every command I've tried from the home computer just shuts
> the office computer down, and does not restart it. (The remote office
> computer does not have a CMOS or other startup password preventing its
> retarting.)
>
> Here's what I've tried:
>
> 1. Start|Run|Taskmgr--->Shutdown|Restart
> (CTRL-ALT-DEL) of course typed on the home keyboard only brings up the
> taskmgr for the home computer.)
>
> 2. ALT-CTRl-END, and then choose "restart"
> 3. Batch commands such as this one (I didn't write any of them):
>
> :START
> cls
> @echo off
> echo.
> echo Remote Desktop Client - shutdown or restart
> echo.
> echo When you use Remote Desktop you do not have
> echo the usual restart/shutdown choices.
> echo This will RESTART or SHUTDOWN the remote client
> echo according to your choice.
> echo.
> echo 1. Restart
> echo 2. Shutdown
> echo 3. Abort
> echo.
> set /p userinp= Choose a number(1-3):
> set userinp=%userinp:~0,1%
> if "%userinp%"=="1" goto restart
> if "%userinp%"=="2" goto shutdown
> if "%userinp%"=="3" goto end
> echo invalid choice
> goto start
> :restart

> I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Maybe it's something on the
> remote computer which keeps it from restarting remotely.
> Thanks!
>
> Jack

0
Tim
9/5/2010 11:22:28 PM
On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 00:22:28 +0100, "Tim Meddick" <timmeddick@o2.co.uk>
wrote:

>You need to use the shutdown command; type "shutdown /i" at a Command
>Prompt (either choose "Command Prompt" from "Accessories" on the Windows
>Start Menu or type "cmd.exe" into the "Run" box).
>
>Using the command: shutdown /i - with the [/i] switch, brings up an
>easy-to-use user-interface dialog box.  In this, there is an empty panel
>near the top, in which you pres either the "Add" or the "Browse" button to
>add a remote computer to this space.
>
>You would then choose what you want the remote PC to do (Shutdown, Restart,
>Logoff ) from the drop-down list, below the box above.
>
>Then you choose a number of seconds for the system to wait until it
>executes the desired task in another box below that.
>
>And, finally, you can type a message that will be displayed on the remote
>computer.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>==
>
>Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>

>"JClark" <jclark@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Group:
>>
>> Both Systems: Windows XP/SP3
>>
>> I use Windows  remote desktop from home to my office computer.
>> Everything works fine unless I have to restart the office computer
>> from home. Every command I've tried from the home computer just shuts
>> the office computer down, and does not restart it. (The remote office
>> computer does not have a CMOS or other startup password preventing its
>> retarting.)
>>
>> Here's what I've tried:
>>
>> 1. Start|Run|Taskmgr--->Shutdown|Restart
>> (CTRL-ALT-DEL) of course typed on the home keyboard only brings up the
>> taskmgr for the home computer.)
>>
>> 2. ALT-CTRl-END, and then choose "restart"
>> 3. Batch commands such as this one (I didn't write any of them):
>>
>> :START
>> cls
>> @echo off
>> echo.
>> echo Remote Desktop Client - shutdown or restart
>> echo.
>> echo When you use Remote Desktop you do not have
>> echo the usual restart/shutdown choices.
>> echo This will RESTART or SHUTDOWN the remote client
>> echo according to your choice.
>> echo.
>> echo 1. Restart
>> echo 2. Shutdown
>> echo 3. Abort
>> echo.
>> set /p userinp= Choose a number(1-3):
>> set userinp=%userinp:~0,1%
>> if "%userinp%"=="1" goto restart
>> if "%userinp%"=="2" goto shutdown
>> if "%userinp%"=="3" goto end
>> echo invalid choice
>> goto start
>> :restart

>> I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Maybe it's something on the
>> remote computer which keeps it from restarting remotely.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jack
Tim, Thanks for your thoughts. I am in the process of trying out the
various suggestions I have received on this thread. First I went to
the office today and found that I can indeed restart it  "on site"
with the various commands I tried, such as

shutdown -r -t 01 (from command line)

But that didn't work from home.
So I'm working on other efforts.
One error message stated I had to "force" the shutdown, so I added the
-f switch to the command line command. That didn't work.

The remote office computer also has ZoneAlarm Firewall, and I noticed
as it was shutting down there was a ZA message about "vector"
something or other. (The remote computer shut down but did not
restart.) So I'm stuck for working on the problem until I can get back
over there tomorrow and turn it back on.

So I'm trying various methods. Yours looks like a nice one.

Again, I'll report back what works when I get it working.

Jack
0
JClark
9/6/2010 5:36:19 AM
In news:rtu886p16hmpbtmjo6cp145446hgutjclk@4ax.com,
JClark <jclark@invalid.com> typed:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 00:22:28 +0100, "Tim Meddick"
> <timmeddick@o2.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> You need to use the shutdown command; type "shutdown /i"
>> at a Command Prompt (either choose "Command Prompt" from
>> "Accessories" on the Windows Start Menu or type "cmd.exe"
>> into the "Run" box).
>>
>> Using the command: shutdown /i - with the [/i] switch,
>> brings up an easy-to-use user-interface dialog box.  In
>> this, there is an empty panel near the top, in which you
>> pres either the "Add" or the "Browse" button to add a
>> remote computer to this space.
>>
>> You would then choose what you want the remote PC to do
>> (Shutdown, Restart, Logoff ) from the drop-down list,
>> below the box above.
>>
>> Then you choose a number of seconds for the system to wait
>> until it executes the desired task in another box below
>> that.
>>
>> And, finally, you can type a message that will be
>> displayed on the remote computer.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>>

>> "JClark" <jclark@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello Group:
>>>
>>> Both Systems: Windows XP/SP3
>>>
>>> I use Windows  remote desktop from home to my office
>>> computer. Everything works fine unless I have to restart
>>> the office computer from home. Every command I've tried
>>> from the home computer just shuts the office computer
>>> down, and does not restart it. (The remote office
>>> computer does not have a CMOS or other startup password
>>> preventing its retarting.)
>>>
>>> Here's what I've tried:
>>>
>>> 1. Start|Run|Taskmgr--->Shutdown|Restart
>>> (CTRL-ALT-DEL) of course typed on the home keyboard only
>>> brings up the taskmgr for the home computer.)
>>>
>>> 2. ALT-CTRl-END, and then choose "restart"
>>> 3. Batch commands such as this one (I didn't write any of
>>> them):

>>> cls
>>> @echo off
>>> echo.
>>> echo Remote Desktop Client - shutdown or restart
>>> echo.
>>> echo When you use Remote Desktop you do not have
>>> echo the usual restart/shutdown choices.
>>> echo This will RESTART or SHUTDOWN the remote client
>>> echo according to your choice.
>>> echo.
>>> echo 1. Restart
>>> echo 2. Shutdown
>>> echo 3. Abort
>>> echo.
>>> set /p userinp= Choose a number(1-3):
>>> set userinp=%userinp:~0,1%
>>> if "%userinp%"=="1" goto restart
>>> if "%userinp%"=="2" goto shutdown
>>> if "%userinp%"=="3" goto end
>>> echo invalid choice
>>> goto start
>>>
>>> *******************************************************************
>>> I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Maybe it's something
>>> on the remote computer which keeps it from restarting
>>> remotely.
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Jack
> Tim, Thanks for your thoughts. I am in the process of
> trying out the various suggestions I have received on this
> thread. First I went to the office today and found that I
> can indeed restart it  "on site" with the various commands
> I tried, such as
>
> shutdown -r -t 01 (from command line)
>
> But that didn't work from home.
> So I'm working on other efforts.
> One error message stated I had to "force" the shutdown, so
> I added the -f switch to the command line command. That
> didn't work.
>
> The remote office computer also has ZoneAlarm Firewall, and
> I noticed as it was shutting down there was a ZA message
> about "vector" something or other. (The remote computer
> shut down but did not restart.) So I'm stuck for working on
> the problem until I can get back over there tomorrow and
> turn it back on.
>
> So I'm trying various methods. Yours looks like a nice one.
>
> Again, I'll report back what works when I get it working.
>
> Jack

You forgot to use a run-once on the remote machine to get them both
reconnected automatically. Once you shut down, the connecton has been broken
and needs to be re-established.

0
Twayne
9/6/2010 5:21:35 PM
On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 13:21:35 -0400, "Twayne" <nobody@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>You forgot to use a run-once on the remote machine to get them both
>reconnected automatically. Once you shut down, the connecton has been broken
>and needs to be re-established.

HI Twayne,

I'm not sure what a "run-once" is. I'll look it up, of course. Perhaps
that would have helped. But I really wasn't so concerned about not
getting the two computers re-connected. I just couldn't get the remote
machine to actually restart rather than just shutdown, so that I had
to make a trip over there and manualy restart it

My major goal was just to get the remote machine to restart, even if
it was all alone over there in the office. At least then I could
reconnect to it with Remote Desktop. Impossible when the remote was
completely shut down.

Sorry to belabor the response.

But I seemed to have solved the problem now, and I'll post that as a
separate reply to my original post.

Thanks much, and I'll look up the "run-once" thing. Or if you have any
links to that, I'd be glad to review it.

Jack
0
JClark
9/6/2010 7:46:23 PM
Well it looks as though I now have solution to restarting the remote
office machine from my home computer. To re-iterate, there was never
any trouble connecting to the remote box so long as it was "on"! But
when I needed to reboot the remote machine, for any of the usual
reasons, updates, etc. it would simply shut down, forcing me to drive
over there and manually restart it.

But now a fairly simple command has worked in three tests:

shutdown -r -f -t01

The -f switch apparently "forces" the restart process.  I did get one
message once that the system was locked and would have to be "forced"
to restart. But, again, it's working and hasn't done any harm so far.

I  put the command in a little batch file, and it works fine! (I added
a line about the ZoneAlarm restarting the internet monitor, since the
restart command won't start until I get rid of that prompt.)

@echo off
: start
echo THIS COMMAND WILL RESTART
echo THE COMPUTER IN 01 SECOND
echo CLOSE ANY RUNNING PROGRAMS
echo BACK UP ANY NEEDED DATA
echo BEFORE PRESSING ENTER
echo CHOOSE "NO" WHEN PROMPTED
echo TO RESTART VECTOR INT MON
Pause

shutdown -r -f -t 01

: end

Many thanks to all for suggestions.

Jack

0
JClark
9/6/2010 8:18:09 PM
In news:rvga861do5i31a1jhc3iaph1iqmmospj18@4ax.com,
JClark <jclark@invalid.com> typed:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 13:21:35 -0400, "Twayne"
> <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> You forgot to use a run-once on the remote machine to get
>> them both reconnected automatically. Once you shut down,
>> the connecton has been broken and needs to be
>> re-established.
>>
> HI Twayne,
>
> I'm not sure what a "run-once" is. I'll look it up, of
> course. Perhaps that would have helped. But I really wasn't
> so concerned about not getting the two computers
> re-connected. I just couldn't get the remote machine to
> actually restart rather than just shutdown, so that I had
> to make a trip over there and manualy restart it
>
> My major goal was just to get the remote machine to
> restart, even if it was all alone over there in the office.
> At least then I could reconnect to it with Remote Desktop.
> Impossible when the remote was completely shut down.
>
> Sorry to belabor the response.
>
> But I seemed to have solved the problem now, and I'll post
> that as a separate reply to my original post.
>
> Thanks much, and I'll look up the "run-once" thing. Or if
> you have any links to that, I'd be glad to review it.
>
> Jack

"Run Once" is simple a registry entry write where a program is told to run,
and the call is  then deleted so it won't run again on the next boot. It
only exists for the one boot.

As for links & such, I don't have them. I just noticed how support
departments that connect to my computer are able to restart my machine and
reconnect to them without my having to touch anything. You "simply" use a
run once boot script to tell the computer to start the browser and go to the
URL planted in the run once line. I think I used something like "restart
remote machine" +reconnect +& I forget the rest there. The rest
were -"entries" to weed out irrelevant hits.
   But I have no need for it, so once I got it working once, I paid it no
more attention but there is good info around the 'net on it.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne

remote outlook 2002 web account
web mail loads page ok with explorer 5.0 browser but when I update to version 6, with my windows 98SE the outlook webpage from work(remote server) locks up and will not load properly after I am logged in. thanks. The work server is 2000 professional based system. ...

powershell remote questions
Hi, #1 is it possible to copy files local[W7]->remote[w2k8R2] remote->local If yes can someone give some example? #2 is there any textual editor so I can edit files on remote server Or how to edit files from powershell? Regards, Darko Bazulj Here is a start for file transfer: http://www.nivot.org/2009/11/02/PowerShell20IntroducingThePModemFileTransferProtocol.aspx "Darko Bazulj" wrote: > Hi, > > #1 is it possible to copy files > > local[W7]->remote[w2k8R2] > remote->local > > If yes can someone give some exam...

The most powerful computer security tool
DiskNumen: www.firmlysoft.com DiskNumen, the most powerful computer security tool, will make everything intact after your reboot even if there are Virus, Hacker,Rascal software, error operation or even your purposive breakage. Your computer can be prevented from any attack by DiskNumen through the way of solidifying disk into CD. Have you ever been anguished by these problems: * Virus software destroy the computer system, leading to the resetting of the system and the decline of the computer running speed; * Once the rascal software interrupt you ,it will exhaust your...

incredimail needs Outlook to restart..and restart...and restart....
I am using the Outlook 2002, and Incredimail add-on. But now when I open Outlook, I get a window saying "Before Incredimail for Office-Outlook add-on can be used, Outlook must be restarted. Would You like to restart Outlook now?" And when I say Yes to this, the same thing happens, everytime. If I say No, Outlook starts, but the icons concerning Incredimail, is not there anymore, so I cannot use/choose anything from Incredimail. However, the standard "butler" comes up and announces, when emails arrive. I have tried totally to remove Incredimail from my computer, vi...

20,000 Computer Tips n Tricks
20,000 Computer Tips n Tricks for detail visit this site : http://www.computertipsntricks.info ...

How do I open .dbx files saved from my computer in outlook
I have a number of .dbx files I saved on an external hard drive just before my computer died. How do I open them on my new computer. It has Vista and office outlook 2007 You need to use Windows Mail and make the folders available there (import from identity - Outlook Express) , before in WM exporting msgs to Exchange (Outlook) "colinswood" <colinswood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD7FEA1C-813C-4DD0-8C22-860B2AABCE9E@microsoft.com... >I have a number of .dbx files I saved on an external hard drive just before > my computer died. How do ...

continuous restarting
Hello group, Windows XP machine keeps restarting/rebooting itself. Occasionally it will perform disk check and then proceed to user login screen. At this point any attempt to login begets another restart. Usually the disk check runs ok but occassionally it will mention something close to: " The size of the \documents & settings\Dee\ntuser.dat.Log entry is not valid." Help. I don't know how to proceed. Thanks. -- "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions" - Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson) in Pulp Fiction ...

Office 2007 Update
I am running Windows 7 and after installing the latest updates for Office 2007 (Update KB977724and Security Update KB978380) and on restarting I keep getting the message "Your must restart your computer to continue the update process." I've restarted at least a half dozen times and keep getting the same message. I actually have Office 2003 installed but the 2007 updates don't bother my other two machines which are running XP. Joseph wrote: > I am running Windows 7 and after installing the latest updates for > Office 2007 (Update KB977724and Security Update ...

Remote access to another company's Outlook calendar?
Hello! I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version not known yet). How can the remote company share this person's calendar with my client? He would need to access it and add appointments to it. Thank you for the help! Gregg Hill On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:24 -0700, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote: >Hello! > >I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an >employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version no...

Using Outlook on a 2 computer home network
Hi, I have a two computer network that is using a cable modem. However, when I use Outlook for email on my laptop, it doesn't have the folders that my Outlook on my Desktop computer has. How can I sync them so that when I use my laptop, the emails I save will be saved on both? Lou Cherry See reply to your later post in here. Lou Cherry wrote: > Hi, > I have a two computer network that is using a cable modem. However, > when I use Outlook for email on my laptop, it doesn't have the > folders that my Outlook on my Desktop computer has. How can I sync > them so that ...

Restart server user right
Just wanted to make sure that if I need one of the users to be able to restart the server adding the user to Server Operators would give that user the minimum required. Thanks yaro Yes Yaro, that would acomplish the task. OTOH, I usualy set the policy on the server "Allow shutdown without having to log on". Since servers are usually in a locked room or in a rack, I can usually ask some helpful person in remote location to walk to the console and reboot the server. (For the security watchers in this newsgroup, I never had a security issue with this setting). Of cour...

Publisher Crashes Computer
Does anyone know why when opening publisher on a PC it would cause the PC to turn off. When you have publisher on about 40 pc's and this happens it is annoying...I NEED HELP! ANYONE? You are not wrong you need anger management and psychotherapy help - URGENTLY. Who the hell do you think you are coming here and posting a message like that? You must know zilch/nada/nothing about computers if you have 40 pcs' crashing. To make matters worse, you must be lacking in the basic knowledge to tell us what version of Windows and Publisher you are attempting to destroy. Phone up Microsoft S...

Managing Remote Access Database
Hi everyone My question is how to retrieve and update records in a remote Access db sitting on a remote web host using a VB application. While I can do this with SQL Server I could do with some general pointers on the technique(s) used to do the same with Access. Do you have to get the recordset via an asp page using the appropriate SQL string and if so can updated records be returned back to the remote db via the same means. Any comments to steer me in the right direction much appreciated. Dave A Jet engine (often named Access) is no data base server, it is a database file (it ha...

OL2003 Crashes and Restarts
A recent problem... any attempt to click on an interface item to read a mail message for example will crash OL2003 which will restart without problem. A dialog pops up to notify Microsoft and it includes a 'restart' checkbox which I've left selected and OL2003 does restart but I'm getting worried about my data. This is more than annoying especially that I see I have to uninstall Office completely to uninstall OL2003 just to try to reinstall OL2003. Is this my only option or might this be an issue that has some other way to be resolved? I've also allowed Windows Upda...

How do I transfer files between computers in OE?
I use two computers to access my mail and there are files I have on one machine I need on the other. Backing up does not work Help Hi Brian, Please take a look at Microsoft KB article OLEXP: How to Back Up the Outlook Express Address Book and Mail Folders Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 188854 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188854 This article gives you information on how to Backup the OE files and how to import to your new system... Please let me know has this helped You... Thank you... Raghu... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no wa...

Install Office on my laptop using my main computer disc?
I purchased Microsoft Office 2003 with my main computer about four years ago - if I buy a laptop as an additional computer can I use the same disc to install Office 2003 on my new laptiop? Your advice would be appreciated please. It depends on the licensing. If it was an OEM copy supplied with the originbal PC then probably not. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><...

Not able to shutdown/restart IE 8 using restart manager
I am handling an activeX control which needs to be reinstalled even when it is being used by IE. I am using Restart Manager to achieve this on windows 7. What I observed is that IE simply reloads the tab that uses my activeX control when I call RmShutdown(), so I am not able to re-install the control. And RmRestart() simply returns without any error. Please help me how I can re-install the activeX control by temporarily shutting down apps which are using it and restarting them once the installation is done. Thanks. Hi Varaha, Application Mutex "varaha" <vara...

Reporting services
Hi guys, I installed CRM on a server with a Remote sql 2k8 for the crm db. I put the remote sql reporting services urls when creating my companies. The setup went trough. I even pasted the same link on a browser on the crm server and, yes the reporting services website displays. I installed the Reporting connector Connector on then sql, normal setup, specify servername\crm (because its not default instance) and the setup went trough. Do I have to take additional setup steps because this is a remote sql for reporting services ? I get a message saying that the connector is not installed...

SUM computed currency
I am getting incorrect sums on a worksheet I am using. What is happening is that I am entering a formula; e.g., .14*7205.73 in a cell that is formatted for currency. Each month, I add another cell with a similar formula. The problem occurs when I SUM the computed cells. Rather than SUM the currency value in the cell, Excel is adding the underlying 4-decimal place value computed by the original formula. To be more exact: Excel computes: 866.3604 + 1010.7468 + 649.7658 = $2526.87 Instead of adding the computed currency values of: 866.36 + 1010.75 + 649.77 = 2526.88 Is there a way to force E...

Remote desktop no longer full screen
With my newly installed Windows 7 64-bit home computer i had been able to connect to my office using remote desktop, having the remote computer fill my home screen. I added a second monitor to my home system without any problems, but now the remote desktop will not cover the task bar of my local computer, and I am forced to scroll down to see the remote task bar. I have tried changing the display options for the remote desktop but it does not make any difference. What can I do to get the full screen back for the remote desktop? Was this caused by installing a second monitor? Both ...

How to restart my application?
Which is the most efficient way to restart my dialog box application, I mean to close the application and to start it again immediately after that. Is there a reason why efficiency is important for this case? I can't offer what I know to be the most efficient method but having your application create a named global object when running and then polling for that object not existing would permit you to just re-launch it when closing it. In these circumstances the newly launched version would not complete initialising until the old one had as good as completed terminating. I commonly ...

Windows Vista Updated, Can't turn on Computer
I run Windows Vista Ultimate on my desktop Inspiron 530S, if this is helpful. My computer rebooted this morning to install updates and turned on, but was slow so i restarted. Later I turned it off and now when I turn it back on it goes to Configuring Updates 3/3 0% even though it just updated.... after a few moments it will go to the shutting down screen, shut itself down then turn itself back on and repeat the whole thing, configuring updates 3/3, shutting down, etc etc etc. Hello Annie, Give this one a whirl: <http://www.anguas.com/?p=47> -=- <http://supp...

Outlook Restarting
Approximately 5-10 times per day, my Outlook 2003 will stop responding or a dialogue box will appear stating that there is an error and do I want to send a report...then it will restart itself. This is very frustrating!!! Does anyone know a cure? ...

Accessing CRM from remotely
Hello, We have several sales representative that works from home. They have the need to access the MS CRM 3.0 from outside the corporate network. I have the CRM install both straight on the SBS 2003 Premium and on a separate server. Beside the remote desktop option (Remote Web Workplace in SBS 2003), is there any other option? I don't really want to create remote desktop session for these sales rep for security reason. Furthermore, they works out of their home and already have their own computer. They just need to access the CRM website via the web browser. I've heard ...

SBS 2003 Applying Computer Settings
Hi There We have a really strange issue where by our SBS 2003 SP2 box after rebooting is sitting at the applying computer settings. We have restarted it several times but still got the same problem. The users are able to connect to shares etc and it seems to be functioning correctly. There are no odd events being generated in the logs to suggest a problem. When you try and connect to the server using RDC it allows you to log on but sits at Loading Personal settings. We came across a Microsoft KB re APC UPS's but this isn't applicable in our case. We are able to connect ...