Replaced motherboard due to hardware failure, it's not identical. Repair installation of Windows XP completed but now stuck in Logon-Activation loop.

Dear Group,

An ASUS motherboard failed in a Win XP Pro pc belonging to a friend of mine,
so I have replace it for her.  Asus no longer make this mobo, it's not
available so I bought a board from ASrock with the same socket, however the
ASUS board had NVidia chipset while the ASRock uses AMD chipset.  It's
socket 939 and these are hard to come by now.

Windows XP repair installation has been completed, it starts normally and
offers logon to the pc or the domain controller. I select the pc and after a
couple of seconds a Windows Product Activation message appears:
"This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can
continue. You cannot log on until you activate Windows. Because activation
cannot occur in safe mode, please restart your computer in normal mode to
activate Windows."

And the same is true when starting Win XP Pro normally.  The message for
normal boot and logon is:
"This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log
on. Do you want to activate Windows now?  [ Yes / No ] "

I select Yes and no other window or message appears.  It is connected with a
LAN cable to my router, to the internet.  So web activation should work.  I
have left it like this for over an hour, but the screen just stays with the
Windows background and nothing else loaded on screen.

*** Router Info ***
Router is not seeing the Win XP Pro pc as an Attached Device.  So I assume
Network functionality is not working.  This could be why it's waiting for
activation but not completing.  The light on the router is lit up, but
logging on to the router I can only see my own pc and not the Win XP Pro pc.

If I select No on the activation message I get sent back to the logon
screen.  I am not selecting the Domain Controller because I am not located
there, it's a few miles away.  I could go there but I think it would be a
waste of time, is it worth actually trying this, would it make any
difference since my own router has internet for activation?

It's a genuine copy of Windows etc.  What can I do?

My thought is to take the hard drive out, put it into another pc and rename
the WPA files, then put it back into this pc.  My hope is that any problems
with them may be solved this way, new files would be completed etc.  But I
am still left with what appears to be a Network Driver problem.

I really am stuck with this one.

Thanks in advance.

0
Derek2

"Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Dear Group,

> My thought is to take the hard drive out, put it into another pc and
> rename the WPA files, then put it back into this pc.  My hope is that any
> problems with them may be solved this way, new files would be completed
> etc.  But I am still left with what appears to be a Network Driver
> problem.

I tried renaming the WPA files and rebooting.  A similar WPA message
appeared and again it just sat there doing nothing. I think this is because
Networking doesn't seem to be working due to incompatible drivers (I assume)
because this is a different motherboard with a different chipset (old one
was NVidia, new one AMD).

I am currently trying to install Windows on a new HDD in problem pc. Then I
will reconnect the original hard drive and back up it's data.  Then I think
I will have to fresh install windows onto the original hard drive, copy data
back across, reinstall all apps etc.

Unless someone has a repair suggestion that's what I will carry on doing.

Regards.

0
Derek2
8/25/2010 12:18:03 PM

> "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Dear Group,
>

>> My thought is to take the hard drive out, put it into another pc and
>> rename the WPA files, then put it back into this pc.  My hope is that any
>> problems with them may be solved this way, new files would be completed
>> etc.  But I am still left with what appears to be a Network Driver
>> problem.
>

> I tried renaming the WPA files and rebooting.  A similar WPA message
> appeared and again it just sat there doing nothing. I think this is
> because Networking doesn't seem to be working due to incompatible drivers
> (I assume) because this is a different motherboard with a different
> chipset (old one was NVidia, new one AMD).
>
> I am currently trying to install Windows on a new HDD in problem pc. Then
> I will reconnect the original hard drive and back up it's data.  Then I
> think I will have to fresh install windows onto the original hard drive,
> copy data back across, reinstall all apps etc.

I've had an idea - activate the new installation and the copy the WPA files
from the new install to the original hard drive SYSTEM32 folder.  I hope
that the new WPA will be correct for the old install since the hardware will
be the same.

Any ideas?

0
Derek2
8/25/2010 1:31:28 PM

"Derek2" wrote:

> "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Group,
>

> > My thought is to take the hard drive out, put it into another pc and
> > rename the WPA files, then put it back into this pc.  My hope is that any
> > problems with them may be solved this way, new files would be completed
> > etc.  But I am still left with what appears to be a Network Driver
> > problem.
>

> I tried renaming the WPA files and rebooting.  A similar WPA message
> appeared and again it just sat there doing nothing. I think this is because
> Networking doesn't seem to be working due to incompatible drivers (I assume)
> because this is a different motherboard with a different chipset (old one
> was NVidia, new one AMD).
>
> I am currently trying to install Windows on a new HDD in problem pc. Then I
> will reconnect the original hard drive and back up it's data.  Then I think
> I will have to fresh install windows onto the original hard drive, copy data
> back across, reinstall all apps etc.
>
> Unless someone has a repair suggestion that's what I will carry on doing.
>
> Regards.
>

> .

You will need to do a repair install:

After the repair, start the machine and press F8 to get the boot menu. Start
up in VGA mode and log in. If you get the product activation prompt, cancel
it. You didn't say you installed the drivers for the new main board. Download
all the drivers for the new board from the Asrock website on to the computer
you are using to post here and save them to a flash drive or burn to CD.
Also, a disk with drivers should have come with the board. Now go into
Add/Remove programs and uninstall the video driver, and any other drivers
listed there. Go into Device Manager and uninstall driver for the audio and
LAN. Reboot the machine in VGA mode and log in. Cancel Activation again. Now
install the drivers from the included disk, or the ones you downloaded.
Reboot the machine again and login. Once the driver for the LAN is installed,
you will then be able to establish connection with your router. Now activate
Windows. If activation fails you will be given a phone number to call for
activation.
"Mark Adams" <MarkAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Derek2" wrote:
>

>> "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear Group,
>>

>> > My thought is to take the hard drive out, put it into another pc and
>> > rename the WPA files, then put it back into this pc.  My hope is that
>> > any
>> > problems with them may be solved this way, new files would be completed
>> > etc.  But I am still left with what appears to be a Network Driver
>> > problem.
>>

>> I tried renaming the WPA files and rebooting.  A similar WPA message
>> appeared and again it just sat there doing nothing. I think this is
>> because
>> Networking doesn't seem to be working due to incompatible drivers (I
>> assume)
>> because this is a different motherboard with a different chipset (old one
>> was NVidia, new one AMD).
>>
>> I am currently trying to install Windows on a new HDD in problem pc. Then
>> will reconnect the original hard drive and back up it's data.  Then I
>> think
>> I will have to fresh install windows onto the original hard drive, copy
>> data
>> back across, reinstall all apps etc.
>>
>> Unless someone has a repair suggestion that's what I will carry on doing.
>>
>> Regards.
>>

>> .
>>

> You will need to do a repair install:

> After the repair, start the machine and press F8 to get the boot menu.
> Start
> up in VGA mode and log in. If you get the product activation prompt,
> cancel
> it. You didn't say you installed the drivers for the new main board.
> Download
> all the drivers for the new board from the Asrock website on to the
> computer
> you are using to post here and save them to a flash drive or burn to CD.
> Also, a disk with drivers should have come with the board. Now go into
> Add/Remove programs and uninstall the video driver, and any other drivers
> listed there. Go into Device Manager and uninstall driver for the audio
> and
> LAN. Reboot the machine in VGA mode and log in. Cancel Activation again.
> Now
> install the drivers from the included disk, or the ones you downloaded.
> Reboot the machine again and login. Once the driver for the LAN is
> installed,
> you will then be able to establish connection with your router. Now
> activate
> Windows. If activation fails you will be given a phone number to call for
> activation.

Thanks for the reply Mark.  I am attempting that now, I did the repair
install 2x already but will try it again.

The trouble I am having is that no matter how I get to the login screen,
after I complete login I get the WPA Yes/No before I can install the network
driver.  This means that if I say Yes then pc is stuck in a loop of trying
to do internet WPA without network drivers, or I say No and it kicks me back
to login screen.

I am doing the repair install now, if only I could somehow slipstream the
network driver then I could make this work.

Can I slipstream the network driver?

Will let you know how this install repair goes soon.

Thanks.

0
Derek2
8/25/2010 2:27:29 PM

> "Mark Adams" <MarkAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> You will need to do a repair install:
>>
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> After the repair, start the machine and press F8 to get the boot menu.
>> Start
>> up in VGA mode and log in. If you get the product activation prompt,
>> cancel
>> it. You didn't say you installed the drivers for the new main board.
>> Download
>> all the drivers for the new board from the Asrock website on to the
>> computer
>> you are using to post here and save them to a flash drive or burn to CD.
>> Also, a disk with drivers should have come with the board. Now go into
>> Add/Remove programs and uninstall the video driver, and any other drivers
>> listed there. Go into Device Manager and uninstall driver for the audio
>> and
>> LAN. Reboot the machine in VGA mode and log in. Cancel Activation again.
>> Now
>> install the drivers from the included disk, or the ones you downloaded.
>> Reboot the machine again and login. Once the driver for the LAN is
>> installed,
>> you will then be able to establish connection with your router. Now
>> activate
>> Windows. If activation fails you will be given a phone number to call for
>> activation.
>

> Thanks for the reply Mark.  I am attempting that now, I did the repair
> install 2x already but will try it again.
>
> The trouble I am having is that no matter how I get to the login screen,
> after I complete login I get the WPA Yes/No before I can install the
> network driver.  This means that if I say Yes then pc is stuck in a loop
> of trying to do internet WPA without network drivers, or I say No and it
> kicks me back to login screen.
>
> I am doing the repair install now, if only I could somehow slipstream the
> network driver then I could make this work.
>
> Can I slipstream the network driver?
>
> Will let you know how this install repair goes soon.

Ok I have tried the Repair Install again, started up in VGA mode, logged in
and cancelled (No) to the WPA prompt, and it immediately logs me off and
kicks me back to the Login screen.

This is ridiculous.  Network access is needed for WPA internet to work, yet
it wont let me install a network driver, infinite loop.

Driver CD came with the motherboard, I have the drivers and they do work
because when I did the test clean install of Windows on another hard drive
in this PC I was able to connect to the internet.

I am now going to see if I can find a way of making the Network Drivers
available during the Repair Install.

Is there a way I can make autoexec.bat run a driver installation for the
network driver?

Regards.

0
Derek2
8/25/2010 3:13:51 PM

> "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks for the reply Mark.  I am attempting that now, I did the repair
>> install 2x already but will try it again.
>>
>> The trouble I am having is that no matter how I get to the login screen,
>> after I complete login I get the WPA Yes/No before I can install the
>> network driver.  This means that if I say Yes then pc is stuck in a loop
>> of trying to do internet WPA without network drivers, or I say No and it
>> kicks me back to login screen.
>>
>> I am doing the repair install now, if only I could somehow slipstream the
>> network driver then I could make this work.
>>
>> Can I slipstream the network driver?
>>
>> Will let you know how this install repair goes soon.
>

> Ok I have tried the Repair Install again, started up in VGA mode, logged
> in and cancelled (No) to the WPA prompt, and it immediately logs me off
> and kicks me back to the Login screen.
>
> This is ridiculous.  Network access is needed for WPA internet to work,
> yet it wont let me install a network driver, infinite loop.
>
> Driver CD came with the motherboard, I have the drivers and they do work
> because when I did the test clean install of Windows on another hard drive
> in this PC I was able to connect to the internet.
>
> I am now going to see if I can find a way of making the Network Drivers
> available during the Repair Install.
>
> Is there a way I can make autoexec.bat run a driver installation for the
> network driver?

Ok I have done it, I think.  I edited the autoexec.bat which was empty and
wrote in this:
F:\LANXP\setup.exe /installquiet
H:\ASROCK_CD\Drivers\LAN\REALTEK\XP64_XP(5702)\setupexe /installquiet

F might have failed because it's actually the C drive now, so I think that
the H drive worked.  H is actually a USB stick that I copied the drivers to.
I don't know if F gave errors because of the /installquiet command.

Anyway I started in Safe Mode, autoexec must have run, and it took a long
time to change from the text loading screen that shows
system32/drivers/mup.sys etc before it switched to the logon screen.  This
logon screen also looked different and I haven't had a WPA message.

WPA - the activation icon message is in the bottom right of the screen,
which is fine, I will try doing this once I have installed all the new
drivers for the new motherboard.

Thanks for your help Mark, if you hadn't replied I probably would have given
up and just installed a fresh Windows install.

Regards.

0
Derek2
8/25/2010 3:49:50 PM
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:27:29 +0100, "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the reply Mark.  I am attempting that now, I did the repair
>install 2x already but will try it again.
>
>The trouble I am having is that no matter how I get to the login screen,
>after I complete login I get the WPA Yes/No before I can install the network
>driver.

I don't know much, but maybe this is "out of the mouths of babes".

Do you have the internet connected to your computer?  I was under the
impression that it can't know that your hardware doesn't match what it
used to be, in fact it can't know anything at all about a license
being or seeming unauthorized until it communicates with MS via the
web.

So can you disconnect your internet and install, debug if necessary,
the network driver then?

>  This means that if I say Yes then pc is stuck in a loop of trying
>to do internet WPA without network drivers, or I say No and it kicks me back
>to login screen.

I figure it won't even ask if you're not connected to the net.

>I am doing the repair install now, if only I could somehow slipstream the
>network driver then I could make this work.
>
>Can I slipstream the network driver?
>
>Will let you know how this install repair goes soon.
>
>Thanks.

0
mm
8/25/2010 4:38:33 PM
"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:27:29 +0100, "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the reply Mark.  I am attempting that now, I did the repair
>>install 2x already but will try it again.
>>
>>The trouble I am having is that no matter how I get to the login screen,
>>after I complete login I get the WPA Yes/No before I can install the
>>network
>>driver.
>
> I don't know much, but maybe this is "out of the mouths of babes".
>
> Do you have the internet connected to your computer?

Yes, and I can see that this pc's network cable socket on the router is lit
up, BUT this pc is not listed on the router in Attached Devices = therefore
this pc's network drivers (or something else) isn't working properly.  Now
it's a new mobo and needs the drivers installed, so that's what I am
assuming it is.

> I was under the
> impression that it can't know that your hardware doesn't match what it
> used to be, in fact it can't know anything at all about a license
> being or seeming unauthorized until it communicates with MS via the
> web.

WPA, as I am learning, uses a table and it checks the hardware against this
table for your pc.  You need to score 7 marks to pass, because I changed the
mobo this is failing.

> So can you disconnect your internet and install, debug if necessary,
> the network driver then?
>
>>  This means that if I say Yes then pc is stuck in a loop of trying
>>to do internet WPA without network drivers, or I say No and it kicks me
>>back
>>to login screen.
>
> I figure it won't even ask if you're not connected to the net.

It makes no difference if I remove the network cable or not, I have actually
tried it both ways just in case.

>>I am doing the repair install now, if only I could somehow slipstream the
>>network driver then I could make this work.
>>
>>Can I slipstream the network driver?
>>
>>Will let you know how this install repair goes soon.
>>
>>Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

0
Derek2
8/25/2010 5:06:02 PM

>> Is there a way I can make autoexec.bat run a driver installation for the
>> network driver?
>

> Ok I have done it, I think.  I edited the autoexec.bat which was empty and
> wrote in this:
> F:\LANXP\setup.exe /installquiet
> H:\ASROCK_CD\Drivers\LAN\REALTEK\XP64_XP(5702)\setupexe /installquiet
>
> F might have failed because it's actually the C drive now, so I think that
> the H drive worked.  H is actually a USB stick that I copied the drivers
> to. I don't know if F gave errors because of the /installquiet command.
>
> Anyway I started in Safe Mode, autoexec must have run, and it took a long
> time to change from the text loading screen that shows
> system32/drivers/mup.sys etc before it switched to the logon screen.  This
> logon screen also looked different and I haven't had a WPA message.
>
> WPA - the activation icon message is in the bottom right of the screen,
> which is fine, I will try doing this once I have installed all the new
> drivers for the new motherboard.
>
> Thanks for your help Mark, if you hadn't replied I probably would have
> given up and just installed a fresh Windows install.

I spoke too soon.  I am back in the same loop even though for that one login
I was able to install video driver, I think LAN, but not all the other mobo
drivers even though I thought I had installed the major ones.

I am trying similar methods to the one that worked.  Asrock driver CD is
actuallys a 3.2GB DVD.  3.2GB is too much.  Anyway I am copying this to the
root directory and will try to run the setup application, the problem I have
is that the Setup program is just a click-screen gui, so I need to run the
first click.  The first click - Install All, that's the link I need to put
in Autoexec.bat.  I think.

Regards.

0
Derek2
8/25/2010 5:08:54 PM
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:08:54 +0100, "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I spoke too soon.  I am back in the same loop even though for that one login
>I was able to install video driver, I think LAN, but not all the other mobo
>drivers even though I thought I had installed the major ones.
>
>I am trying similar methods to the one that worked.  Asrock driver CD is
>actuallys a 3.2GB DVD.  3.2GB is too much.  Anyway I am copying this to the
>root directory and will try to run the setup application, the problem I have
>is that the Setup program is just a click-screen gui, so I need to run the
>first click.  The first click - Install All, that's the link I need to put
>in Autoexec.bat.  I think.
>
>Regards.

I haven't been through this yet, I'm just getting prepared; and I
don't know if this has anything to do with your problem; and I don't
have the URL and this is for Dell which may nor may not be the same
for other makes, but last night I saved what Dell says is the proper
order for installing drivers:

The following list is an overview of the correct order to install
drivers on Dell desktops and portables. After reinstalling Microsoft�
Windows�, follow the order listed when reinstalling drivers. It is
recommended that you print this list for reference when installing
drivers.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are
installed out of order.

1.  Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) -
A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the
operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all
drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. This
is located under the System Utilities Category on the Drivers and
Downloads page.

Note : NSS and DSS may not be available for all desktop and notebook
products.

2.  Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and
controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers
and Downloads page.

3.  Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under
the Video Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

4.  Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for
Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category
on the Drivers and Downloads page.

5.  Laptops Only: Dell Quickset or Dell Control Point Manager (DCP) -
Controls power management, ambient light sensor, wireless profiles,
and security features on laptops. This is located under the
Applications on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6.  Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is
located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

7.  Modem - Allows dial-up capability. This is located under the
Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

8.  Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network
controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers
and Downloads page.

9.  Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the
pointing device features. This is located under the Input Device
Drivers Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

10.  Other Devices

    * Intel vProTM  or AMTTM  - Enhances system manageability. This is
located under the Chipset Category on on the Drivers and Downloads
page.
    * Bluetooth �  Module located under the Network Category on the
Drivers and Downloads page.
    * Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards located under the
Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    * PCMCIA/Smartcard controller located under the Security Category
on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    * Touch Screen Digitizer Enables touch screen mouse control
available on select Dell laptops. This is located under the Input
Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

0
mm
8/25/2010 9:07:15 PM
> [...]
> pointing device features. This is located under the Input Device
> Drivers Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
>
> 10.  Other Devices
>
>    * Intel vProTM  or AMTTM  - Enhances system manageability. This is
> located under the Chipset Category on on the Drivers and Downloads
> page.
>    * Bluetooth �  Module located under the Network Category on the
> Drivers and Downloads page.
>    * Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards located under the
> Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
>    * PCMCIA/Smartcard controller located under the Security Category
> on the Drivers and Downloads page.
>    * Touch Screen Digitizer Enables touch screen mouse control
> available on select Dell laptops. This is located under the Input
> Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Hi MM,

Thanks for the reply.

I've been getting a bit closer to solving it, or I think I am.

When doing a Repair Install of Windows XP it resets IE to 6.  This is part
of the reason why Activation is failing.  I've learned that if I login using
Safe Mode Command Prompt and then type in "explorer" at the command prompt
then I can get a working Safe Mode without the Product Activation headache
I've been having.

It appears that many people have been caught in the same loop as myself, and
that Internet Explorer 6 is the problem.  Installing IE 8 fixes it.  And so
far that seems to be working for me.

Trying to run Internet Explorer 6 is giving me an error

Ok so I downloaded IE8 on another pc and copied it to the problem pc.  Run
the exe and it has installed IE8.

Restarting the problem pc and it works, I get a product activation within 30
days message, but it's working fine.

Some people having the same problem found this page useful, I did do the
oobe thing but I'm not sure if it was necessary since IE6 seemed to be to
blame, and once I installed IE8 everything seemed ok.

IE7 is also problematic, according to the internet reports, so go straight
to IE8 which you may need to download on another pc first.

So far it's looking like it might work ok.  Huge number of fixes and SP3 to
go through.

Thanks and I hope this might help others.

0
Derek2
8/25/2010 9:56:20 PM
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:56:20 +0100, "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>IE7 is also problematic, according to the internet reports, so go straight

When I first installed XP Home, either a year or two years ago, I
upgraded to IE7 and had lots of problems.  I could't decide whether to
it woudln't start all the way, and I went back to 98SE.

I don't remember what happened about IE when I got XP working again,
but I spent no more time with 7 and  got up to 8 somehow.

>to IE8 which you may need to download on another pc first.
>
>So far it's looking like it might work ok.  Huge number of fixes and SP3 to
>go through.
>
>Thanks and I hope this might help others.

I hope I don't have to go through this!  gOOD LUCK.
0
mm
8/26/2010 6:21:09 AM
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:06:02 +0100, "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>> I was under the
>> impression that it can't know that your hardware doesn't match what it
>> used to be, in fact it can't know anything at all about a license
>> being or seeming unauthorized until it communicates with MS via the
>> web.
>
>WPA, as I am learning, uses a table and it checks the hardware against this
>table for your pc.  You need to score 7 marks to pass, because I changed the
>mobo this is failing.

So this table is in the local software, not at MS-Supreme-HQ?  Because
they only used a limited number of mobos when they built their
computers and yours isn't one of them?
0
mm
8/26/2010 7:32:43 AM

"mm" wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:06:02 +0100, "Derek2" <nospam@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>

> >> I was under the
> >> impression that it can't know that your hardware doesn't match what it
> >> used to be, in fact it can't know anything at all about a license
> >> being or seeming unauthorized until it communicates with MS via the
> >> web.
> >
> >WPA, as I am learning, uses a table and it checks the hardware against this
> >table for your pc.  You need to score 7 marks to pass, because I changed the
> >mobo this is failing.
>
> So this table is in the local software, not at MS-Supreme-HQ?  Because
> they only used a limited number of mobos when they built their
> computers and yours isn't one of them?
> .

Here is an explanation of Windows Product Activation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 07:52:03 -0700, Mark Adams
<MarkAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"mm" wrote:

>> >WPA, as I am learning, uses a table and it checks the hardware against this
>> >table for your pc.  You need to score 7 marks to pass, because I changed the
>> >mobo this is failing.
>>
>> So this table is in the local software, not at MS-Supreme-HQ?  Because
>> they only used a limited number of mobos when they built their
>> computers and yours isn't one of them?
>> .
>>

>Here is an explanation of Windows Product Activation:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Thanks.
0
mm

Install this correction patch from Microsoft Corp.
--jxghuyezfs Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="hntfqerqymdrjwed"; type="multipart/alternative" --hntfqerqymdrjwed Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ktkvnexzady" --ktkvnexzady Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect ...

Download your free 60-day trial version now
Hi, What's with Microsoft sending customers to http://www.simtel.net/ to obtain the Money trail version? http://www.microsoft.com/money/freetrial_HomeandBusiness.mspx --- Bob Simtel is DigitalRiver is a Microsoft contractor for online software distribution. But for some reason, Microsoft's links to simtel keep getting broken... "Bob" <86c6c2e6-2146512712@news.postalias> wrote in message news:%23jefhWmCIHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What's with Microsoft sending customers to http://www.simtel.net/ to > obtain the Money trail version? > > ...

windows xp help please
I need some help please. When I download things it will only download to 99% then it stops and want completely download things. Is there anything I can do to fix this short of a reformat? -- thank you, coffee121858 Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. In this case, also state your IE version. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(...

Update field w/ string based on due dates
Hi, I have a form that provides a listing of various instruments that are serviced on a monthly to annual basis, with general info about the instrument, last and next service dates, etc.. What I am trying to do is create an On Open event procedure that will identify all instruments that are listed with a string of either "Past Due" or "Schedule Vendor" based on whether each of their respective 'Due' dates have already transpired or not from the current month. The code I initially created for this was as follows: Private Sub Form_Open() Dim myDate, myDue myDa...

Office 2004 install mucks up fonts in Safari
After installing Office 2004, I find that some of the fonts in which webpages are displayed (such as WSJ.com) have been changed. For example, formerly some pages that displayed their text using a serif font now display with a sans-serif font. This is quite irritating. Does anyone know what has gone wrong, or how to fix it? Thanks. Found the fix already. I updated MathType from 5.0 to 5.1 (a free update for 5.0 owners), which both fixed the Symbol font problem (noted in another thread) and also restored the fonts used to display webpages using Safari. Looks like Design Science was the cu...

Update Rollup 3 Fails to Install
I just tried to install Update Rollup 3 for CRM 3.0 Server and it fails with a "Setup failed to update the database. Contact Customer Support" This is a very plain vanilla installation on Win2k server with SQL server installed locally. There as been a few mods to the forms that added some DB attributes, but nothing special. This is an Action Pack license so we don't have Customer Support. What should I do? does the user you are logged in as have sysadmin rights in the sql instance? Dave Ireland "Stewart A" <StewartA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Problems with Outlook 2000 after upgrading to Windows XP SP2
Hi everyone. We have been running Exchange 5.5 with Outlook 2000 clients on Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines for a few years. Everything has always worked perfectly. We recently upgraded a few machines to Windows XP SP2 and noticed problems with Outlook 2000. Outlook 2000 installed on a Windows XP SP2 hangs all the time when exiting. When I close Outlook 2000 on one of these machines there is a 50-50 chance that it will exit properly. When it does close properly you have to hot CTRL- ALT-DELETE, choose Microsoft Outlook (listed twice for some weird reason), and click END TASK. Cli...

Replace word in sentence function...
I have the following function which replaces a word in a sentence with "....." =REPLACE(I2,SEARCH(E2,I2),LEN(E2),".....") Where the word is E2 and the sentence is I2. At the moment, if the word is "work" and the sentence is "I worked at home" I get the sentence "I .....ed at home". Any ideas how I could capture any remaining letters at the end of the word and get the result "I ..... at home"? I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Chris can you upload example, would be easier to view -- Message posted from h...

Windows 2003 Exchange server won't log off
I can't log off our Windows 2003 Exchange server. I can click on start, log off and click yes for "are you sure?" but nothing happens. It's also running Exchange 2003. This should be posted in the windows newsgroups - this has nothing to do with Exchange. Try one of the newsgroups in microsoft.public.windows.server, or microsoft.public.win2000. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne <jules.farrell@james-chapman.co.uk> wrote in message news:1124183408.839364.223120@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I can't log off our Windows 2003 Exchange server. I ca...

windows forms
I have a button next to a text box when i click the button i show a Datagridview there is a button on the datagridview window so the user can click button or press the Alt+S &Select lablel on the button when the button is clicked it selects the data closes the window Fills the textbox with the data selected and i Senkey.Send{"{TAB") to leave the text box this works.....what does not work is when the User Presses the Alt+s key while in the Datagridview window it enters the button click event as if the button was pressed...but never leaves the Text box Thanks D...

Cannot receive mail on a newly installed computer
Hi This is very weird. I have installed a lot of windows xp computers but this one, everything works perfect; but i cannot receive mail on this one. Outlook is able to perform its testing routine without problem. I can send mail also, but cannot receive. When I press the "send/receive" button it just flashes by without any error messages. I have tried with outlook express on the same computer: Same result. The mail account is a standard POP3/SMTP mail, and works on a laptop with win xp. I have installed ALL patches for Office XP and Windows XP. I've tried to disable the win...

find and replace hyperlink?
Hi, I want to globally find and replace the contents of a hyperlink with a new hyperlink. For example, I want this Jul.xls#'Title Page'!A1 to be replaced with Aug.xls#'Title Page'!A1 I can't seem to find a way do it. Is there a way? Thank you, Mike Take a look at David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm look for: Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks) If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm me wrote: > > Hi, I want to g...

error message when using windows mail
I am trying to set up my aol email account with Windows Mail. I keep getting the following error. I followed the instructions given by the aol website to the letter. I don't know what else to do. Help. The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'imap.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Change the outgoing (SMTP) port number from 25 to 587, as per....... http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess#OE6 These instructions for OE will work for Windo...

Replacing Powerpoint 97 SR-2 on M/S Office 97 Pro Edit on Win XP
I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP 97 which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3. I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I already have and still operat...

Outlook 2003 preparing for install popping up
Hi, I did a full install of Office 2003 Standard - "full install" means *everything* to run from the computer; Yet each time I do certain actions in Outlook, a dialog pops ups saying "Windows Installer - Preparing for install". The Floppy drive grinds a few seconds, and after about 20 seconds the dialog disappears. It happens when: - I highlight or open a HTML format message - I rightclick on a mail-address I've ran the Repair function - didn't help. Searched the web and found dozens of other people having the same problem.... but not one solution!! The ...

Server Failures
Hello Friends, Some mail are stuck in exchange server and shown up in Sync Issues>Server Failures in Outlook. Is thier any way to change setting so that all those mail are shown in Inbox or Spam folder. Is their any way to resolve server failures. All user using exchange is complaing that they dont receive mail from other users. When i check thoses are in Server failure folder. Thanks Regards Gureey On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:08:02 -0700, Gureey <Gureey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello Friends, > >Some mail are stuck in exchange server and shown up in Sync Issue...

Run Windows XP OS from DVD???
I am sick of having to upgrade my anti-virus software every few minutes and still getting virusses I am toying with the idea of removing my hard drives and having a bootable DVD with the WinXPPro on it with only the apps I use installed. Anything I want to save off internet or word processor would be saved to a USB stick. I have 4gB of Ram installed so I would not need a swapfile so the question is this... How do I go about creating a windows Bootable DVD with the software I require installed on it such as the drivers for the USB sticks. I may eventually just have a small...

problem installing crm 10-18-06
first i posted here to ask how to upgrade windows sbs2003 standart to premium edition http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs/browse_thread/thread/a33669b4b4795ce9/df8a3140d0e2ae91?lnk=st&q=sbs2003+softweng&rnum=1&hl=en#df8a3140d0e2ae91 then it was claim that if install ISA i would do so, and so i did. i tryied to install crm 3.0 sbs edition, and i got this two errors: The edition 'Developer Edition' of the specified SQL Server is not supported by this SQL Server Reporting Services installation. Supported editions are Enterprise Edition and St...

Outlook Not booting up completely
Milly: I tried your suggestion by renaming outcmd.dat to .old and=20 it still is not working. I still get the same response in=20 my task manager, where Personal Folders-Outlook is not=20 responding. Just to let you know, my OS is Win98SE while=20 using Office XP. I don't know if this has anything to do=20 with the problem, but do I need to reinstall Outlook or=20 what needs to be done at this point? Any assistance will be appreciated. Dennis >-----Original Message----- >Close Outlook. Find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. (If=20 using Windows 2000=20 >or XP, you will need ...

Search and replace problem
Hi, I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to mark the cell's "to review". The symbol used was "(*)". I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace", but Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng between brackets. Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to delete the specific characters. TIA Melissa It's because it is a wildcard, you can replace it by preceding it with a tilde ~ which tell Excel to find an asterisk in find what p...

SCOM RMS install account to use
Security wants to see why we cant use a local account to install RMS. We did. Now running setup for other components such as Reporting, which connects back to the RMS, and the RMS cannot verify that the account being used is in the SCOM admins domain security group. Installing RMS with a domain account rather than local account fixes this. Where's the documentation that says you must install with a domain account and cannot use a local account? And if a domain account is used, what happens if that domain account is later deleted - Security is asking ..... Tks, Joe Wrong...

Hardware Requirement for Lab Machine
Hi Guys I would like to experiment with the CRM 3.0 SBS edition that I received in Action Pack. I only have a single processor desktop (2.8Ghz) which I am currently using for my lab but the minimum requirement for CRM says dual processor. I don't mind spending some money on extra memory (take it up to 1.5GB) but don't want to have to buy a dual processor machine at this stage of the game. Will CRM 3.0 and Small Business Server run well enough on such a hardware platform to to get a feel for the product? Upgrade the memory and that computer should be fine for a lab environmen...

deleted extender window still appearing in extras
Hi! I created a test extender window and attached it to the customer maintenance screen. I then deleted it but whe I go to Customer Maintenance, extras, I still see the deleted window. How can I get rid of it? -- Marisol Mortera ...

Activities tab
When I send an e-Mail, Outlook keeps track of it on the Activities tab for that contact. How do I keep track of INcoming e-Mails for that contact on the Activities tab? Thanks in advance for your help. SteveR7138@msn.com Right-click your Contacts folder, select Properties, and then the Activities tab. Make sure the Inbox is in the list of folders that are searched when you click the Activities tab in a contact record. (Note -- the Inbox may be part of one of the groups listed; it may not be by itself in the list.) -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail addr...

replace a negative result with a zero?
I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is negative. Any help is greatly appreciated. -- Pam Well, what is the formula that you are using? You could try this: =3DMAX(your_formula,0) to replace your_formula. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 19, 5:17=A0pm, Pam2277 <Pam2...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is > negative. =A0Any help is greatly appreciated. > -- > Pam Hi, =if(your formula<0,0,your formula) "Pam2277" wrote: > ...