Remote Desktop question

Hi all,

I need to have remote access to a computer running a measuring device
in the lab (basically to check whether the machine is running fine,
and to interfer if I need to).

Can I use a remote desktop connection for this?

- I need to see the current screen with the current software running,
i.e. not "switch users" and get an empty desktop

- I need to be able to connect to the remote computer without user
interaction (because there is nobody in the lab at night)...

I considered using VNC for that, but it seems to me that a remote
desktop connection would be more efficient in terms of CPU and network
load.

Thanks for your help

0
nospam

"nospam" <ultimatespamheap@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need to have remote access to a computer running a measuring device
> in the lab (basically to check whether the machine is running fine,
> and to interfer if I need to).
>
> Can I use a remote desktop connection for this?
>
> - I need to see the current screen with the current software running,
> i.e. not "switch users" and get an empty desktop
>
> - I need to be able to connect to the remote computer without user
> interaction (because there is nobody in the lab at night)...
>
> I considered using VNC for that, but it seems to me that a remote
> desktop connection would be more efficient in terms of CPU and network
> load.
>
> Thanks for your help

Yes, you can use Remote Desktop if the lab machine runs WinXP Professional
and yes, you can tap into the current screen if you use the same account as
the one that is currently in use.

0
Pegasus
5/21/2010 9:17:47 PM
On 05/21/2010 01:47 PM, nospam wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to have remote access to a computer running a measuring device
> in the lab (basically to check whether the machine is running fine,
> and to interfer if I need to).
>
> Can I use a remote desktop connection for this?
>
> - I need to see the current screen with the current software running,
> i.e. not "switch users" and get an empty desktop
>
> - I need to be able to connect to the remote computer without user
> interaction (because there is nobody in the lab at night)...
>
> I considered using VNC for that, but it seems to me that a remote
> desktop connection would be more efficient in terms of CPU and network
> load.
>
> Thanks for your help

Hi Nospam,

I use Ultra VNC for such purposes all the time.  Does
no seem to affect performance at all.  (You will loose
pass through printing though.)

http://www.uvnc.com

-T
0
ToddAndMargo

a question and a question

2003 vs 2007 question
2003 Access Database z:\\Jones\HomeFiles\household.be z:\\Jones\household.fe Users A and B have full access to both files and all folders. User A is using Access 2003 User B is using Access 2007 User A can access and write. User B is unable to open the database. Is this a version issue or should I be looking for something else? -- Teach me to fish! Thanks for the help. Pax, M On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:43:01 -0700, m stroup <mstroup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >2003 Access Database > >z:\\Jones\HomeFiles\household.be >z:\\Jones\house...

XML DTD Question

Frequent ExchSrvr restarts needed for remote users
Hello all – I have a mob of disenchanted users about to lynch me because of a problem that I cannot get to the bottom of. I recently migrated Exchange 5.5 to 2K3, consolidating three sites in the process. Now we have one Exchange Server at headquarters that hosts all mailboxes and public folders. The problem is with the users at the remote sites. Approximately every three business days, I have to restart the Exch Srvr, because over the space of a few hours, many users at the remotes sites are unable to connect to it. (“Trying to connect..” in the Outlook status bar). Only a resta...

cells evaluation question
Hey I have a spreadsheet with 9 cells (c14:c22) They will have integers entered from 0 to 10 I need a formula to do the following: - Find how many have a value >=5 - Get the total value of the cells with a value >=5 Thanks Simon You want Countif and Sumif, as in: =countif(c14:c22,">=5") =sumif(c14:c22,">=5") Regards, Fred "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D2F8EA3-D774-4A65-9157-274051900E28@microsoft.com... > Hey > > I have a spreadsheet with 9 cells (c14:c22) > They...

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

Question about modal userform.....
My userform has various controls which allow the user to enter data. (i.e textboxes, calendar control, etc...). I load the userform as follows: Userform1.Show ' ' Code here runs after userform is closed! ' My question is....will the Visual Basic stop and wait at the "Userform1.Show" line until the user is done entering data and they close it out??? I'm just worried that the form is loaded and that VBA continues exiting the code below the "userform1.show" line. thankx No, you are okay, the code flow is passed to the code in the fo...

Positioning Dialog To Desktop
Using VC++, I have a dialog-based app. I want to put the window in the lower right corner of a desktop. It seems I can't override the positioin of the window set in the resource editor (where the window coordinates are set). How can I override this initial window position to put it in the corner? I've found how to get a pointer to the desktop, its width and height, but using that to position the window in OnPaint didn't work. Also SetPosition in the App InitInstance doesn't work. The coordinates to my dialog are sitting in a resource file, so how can I program to change t...

Lunch the application after login page and before desktop !!!
Hi, Is there any way to lunch the application after login page and before desktop? I know one way to add the entry in Runoncekey. I want this application to run every time the user log in. Couple of problem with Runoncekey.... 1. This key is meant to use just for one time application 2. User can use cntr+alt+del and cancel the application. I want this application to stay there till user hits "OK" and then show the desktop. There shouldn't be another way for him to skip this application. Can anybody help? Thanks Trupti Not possible. The only way you can do it is by cha...

Remote Active Sync
Hello, I just upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server and I have no idea how to setup Mobile Access. I would like to sync my pocket pc remotely. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks, Jose ...

Backup question

Questions about outlook client offline mode for 4.0
Does anyone know if importing 30,00 contacts into my outlook is going to increase the size of my mailbox on the exchange sever or are the crm contacts and other information store in a seperate datebase? I guess my underlining question is how does crm work with outlook, where does data get stored, how much can it impact the space on the harddrive if I synconize with crm offline? I can find any documentation on this topic, any help would be great!! Sorry I CAN NOT find any documantation on this topic. Any help would be great! "Rich" wrote: > Does anyone know if importing ...

Remoting
Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected to the same lan? If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters? Regards Mark Overall, the simple answer is "no". In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole in your network large enough to drive a freight train through. Sideways. However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security cred...

Question on "reply" format
Is there a way from within OE 6 to customize the "reply header"? I'm aware of the plugins, but I would like to do it with OE alone, if that's possible. I'm in the process of weaning myself off AOL ond so don't have a lot of experience with Outlook. Thanks, John Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomste...

Z report question
Is it possible to show the total qty of each of all the items sold from a particular department on the Zreport? ...

CWebBrowser2 question
Hello, I am having trouble loading current .svg document when my OnInitDialog() is called. I have a line: m_explore.Navigate("c:\\Data\\SVG\\web\\standalone.html", NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); standalone.html file uses 1 frame: main.html, main.html uses 2 frames: left.html and maps.svg, maps.svg uses xlink:href command to access mymap.svg This is what happens: 1) User opens a map and it gets converted into SVG 2) m_explore.Navigate() is called and displayer CORRECT map 3) User closes this map, opens another map and map from 2) is shown which INCORRECT. When the map is updated and ...

Conditional query question
I can tell I had a rough week-end because my brain isn’t working today. I have the below query with a one to many join. SELECT public_ipm_bookings.booking_id, public_ipm_booking_items.item_type FROM public_ipm_bookings INNER JOIN public_ipm_booking_items ON public_ipm_bookings.oid = public_ipm_booking_items.oid; Below is a sample of the data returned. booking_id item_type C122742 Day Tour C122742 Flight C122742 Tour C122742 Day Tour C122865 Hotel C122865 Rail C122865 Hotel C122881 Day Tour C122881 Flight C122881 Rail C122881 Hotel C122894 Free Form C122945 Day Tour ...

Remote Office VPN Internet Access
Hi Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL. Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the VPN. I am going to add 2nd ADSL line to split off and soley route the VoIP traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local', the VPN would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files. -- Many Thanks Drew In article <6...

Question about sort
I have a workbook with one sheet (Sheet1) In cell a1 I have the value "1" In cell b1 I have the formula "=a1" In cell c1 I have the formula "=Sheet1!a1" Select a1:c9 and do fill down. You obtain 3 identical columns with numbers from 1 to 9 from top to bottom. Try now to sort the area a1:c9 according to column a Descending (no headers). Questions: Is it normal that column c is in reverse order compared to a and b? Is there any explanation about this behaviour? Seems like formulas with references containing "!" are taken into consideration by sort bu...

Excel vba question
Is there any excel vba code that will accomplish the following: I have data entered in cells A1 thru E1 lets say (Name, Address, Zip, Country, and Phone). What I would like to be able to do is enter the requested information directly in the cells that contain the info as mentioned above. Then if I make a mistake or delete the info I typed in all together the original data returns. Example, In cell B2 it shows Address, so if I type in my address the word Address is replaced with my acutal address however, if I deleted my address the word Address would reappear. Hope someone out there underst...

remote connections
In SS2K , how to enable remote connections ? For example, from my machine, within SEM I'd like to create a "New SQL Server Registration" connection to that machine. This has always worked for me in the past, but today I've encountered an SS2K instance which gives me a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())" error. Does it matter if the target instance is configured as "Windows Authentication" vs "Mixed Mode" ? I'm attempting the "New SQL Server Registration" via Windows Authentication. I...

a Solver question
Hi, I am trying to use Solver to solve a scheduling problem. We get orders every Sunday, and then schedule the production for the following week. The order is as follows: Prod1 Prod2 Prod3 M 4 1 T 1 W TR 2 1 F 1 SA S 2 The numbers indicate the amount of products we need produced BY this day. And we have schedule tables for two plants like this: Plant 1: Prod1 Prod2 Prod3 M x11 x12 T x21 x22 W x31 TR .... ... ...

How to disable fade-in of desktop alerts
Hello! Is there a way to prevent Outlook 2003's Desktop Alerts from fading in? I think I like the feature, but I would like it better if the alerts did not fade in, but just appeared. -- Christian Ullrich ...

changing contents of a sheet remotely
Hi, I have a list of jobs on sheet1 col A contains the job number, Sheet2 is an invoice, i enter job numbers into col A and Vlookups operate in the other cols. When i enter a number into sheet2 i would like the row which contains this job number to have the date entered into col M so i can easily check if a job has been charged out. What is the command for this, will it have to be run as a macro? If i then go on to enter numbers in a list down to cell A38 on sheet 2 is the best way to write code to look at all the numbers at once and adjust sheet1 accordingly? Or input the job numbers via a...