redirecting to unwanted web sites

I have Windows XP with service pack 2.  Am using the latest versions
of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.

In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
redirects to unwanted ad sites
automatically.

Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?

best, Aaron
0
aaronep

You most likely have spyware or other such pest on your computer, you
need to run AV/spyware scans on your machine to find these pests and get
rid of them.  See here for basic information on removing malware:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Viruses_Malware

John

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
> I have Windows XP with service pack 2.  Am using the latest versions
> of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.
>
> In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
> redirects to unwanted ad sites
> automatically.
>
> Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?
>
> best, Aaron
0
John
11/30/2009 4:20:27 PM
You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!

Windows.  A Repair Install will NOT help!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via...

Consumer Security Support home page

Otherwise...

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!  You may need to download the

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
.. http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
.. http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
.. http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
.. http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
> I have Windows XP with service pack 2.  Am using the latest versions
> of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.
>
> In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
> redirects to unwanted ad sites
> automatically.
>
> Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?
>
> best, Aaron

0
PA
11/30/2009 4:28:33 PM
it sounds like your browser is
hijacked.

run a program called HiJackThis.

the first few lines produced by
the log will pertain to the browser
and will likely reveal the nagging
lines that you can delete.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I have Windows XP with service pack 2.  Am using the latest versions
> of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.
>
> In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
> redirects to unwanted ad sites
> automatically.
>
> Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?
>
> best, Aaron

0
db
11/30/2009 4:44:55 PM
On Nov 30, 11:01=A0am, "aaro...@pacbell.net" <aaro...@pacbell.net>
wrote:
> I have Windows XP with service pack 2. =A0Am using the latest versions
> of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.
>
> In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
> redirects to unwanted ad sites
> automatically.
>
> Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?
>
> best, Aaron

When encountering a system with such behavior, start here:

Perform some scans for malicious software first, then fix any
remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.
0
Jose
11/30/2009 5:01:14 PM

"aaronep@pacbell.net" wrote:

> I have Windows XP with service pack 2.  Am using the latest versions
> of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.
>
> In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
> redirects to unwanted ad sites
> automatically.
>
> Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?
>
> best, Aaron
> .

Wouldn't hurt to get your machine up to date with SP3 as well.
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:01:51 -0800 (PST), "aaronep@pacbell.net"
<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I have Windows XP with service pack 2.  Am using the latest versions
> of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.
>
> In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
> redirects to unwanted ad sites
> automatically.

You are infected with malware.

> Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?

Read PA Bear's message for instructions on how to proceed.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
11/30/2009 6:19:46 PM
On Nov 30, 10:19=A0am, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:01:51 -0800 (PST), "aaro...@pacbell.net"
>
> <aaro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > I have Windows XP with service pack 2. =A0Am using the latest versions
> > of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.
>
> > In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
> > redirects to unwanted ad sites
> > automatically.
>
> You are infected with malware.
>
> > Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?
>
> Read PA Bear's message for instructions on how to proceed.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Thank's to all of the good persons who have replied with good solid
info!
I have seen many references to a spyware removal program called
SPYBOT.
Has anyone reading this used it, and with what success?   best, Aaron
0
aaronep
12/3/2009 5:18:40 PM
aaronep@pacbell.net wrote:
> Thank's to all of the good persons who have replied with good solid
> info!
>
> I have seen many references to a spyware removal program called
> SPYBOT. Has anyone reading this used it, and with what success?

Spybot Search and Destroy is one of the older and better freeware
antimalware (malware cleanup) applications there was/is.  Although _I_ would
not now rank it as high as I once would have - it's still a great
application.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
12/3/2009 5:27:33 PM
On Dec 3, 12:18=A0pm, "aaro...@pacbell.net" <aaro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 10:19=A0am, "Ken Blake, MVP"
>

> <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:01:51 -0800 (PST), "aaro...@pacbell.net"
>
> > <aaro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > > I have Windows XP with service pack 2. =A0Am using the latest version=
> > > of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.
>
> > > In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
> > > redirects to unwanted ad sites
> > > automatically.
>
> > You are infected with malware.
>
> > > Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?
>
> > Read PA Bear's message for instructions on how to proceed.
>
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
> Thank's to all of the good persons who have replied with good solid
> info!
> I have seen many references to a spyware removal program called
> SPYBOT.
> Has anyone reading this used it, and with what success? =A0 best, Aaron

Spybot has lost it's luster with me, but it is a good locator of
Internet cookies.  I used to like it, but never use it anymore.

I have it installed to help other people that have issues with it, but
it has never found malicious software on my system.  It finds only
cookies, but I can find cookies by myself.  It is never my first
choice of things I would run when looking for malicious software.
MBAM and SAS are my first choices for free software and seem to have
much better detection mechanisms

If you choose to install Spybot, it may want to install it's TeaTimer
function which is one of the biggest consumers of Virtual Memory I
have ever seen for a background monitoring process.  This can be
disabled/enabled at will of course.

Before and after you install it, do this to see what I mean:

Right click the Taskbar, choose to open Task Manager.

Click View, Select Columns, check the box that says:

Virtual Memory Size

Expand the width of the Task Manager box so you can see all the
columns.

Click the VM Size column heading once or twice to sort by VM Size
biggest to smallest, top to bottom.

Who is on top of the VM column?
0
Jose
12/3/2009 6:10:39 PM
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:18:40 -0800 (PST), "aaronep@pacbell.net"
<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 10:19�am, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:01:51 -0800 (PST), "aaro...@pacbell.net"
> >
> > <aaro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > > I have Windows XP with service pack 2. �Am using the latest versions
> > > of both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers.
> >
> > > In the last 10 days when I select web sites to view, the browser
> > > redirects to unwanted ad sites
> > > automatically.
> >
> > You are infected with malware.
> >
> > > Is there anything I can do to stop this annoyance?
> >
> > Read PA Bear's message for instructions on how to proceed.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
> Thank's to all of the good persons who have replied with good solid
> info!
> I have seen many references to a spyware removal program called
> SPYBOT.
> Has anyone reading this used it, and with what success?

First, note that the name of the program is *not* Spybot (that would
be a very negative name). The name is Spybot Search and Destroy.

Spybot Search and Destroy used to be one of the better anti-spyware
programs. It's not terrible, but it's no longer one of the better
ones. The two best ones are MalwareBytes AntiMalware and
SuperAntiSpyware. Both are available in freeware versions and I
recommend using both, not just one of them.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
12/3/2009 6:54:22 PM
On Dec 3, 10:54=A0am, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:18:40 -0800 (PST), "aaro...@pacbell.net"
>

> <aaro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > On Nov 30, 10:19=A0am, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> > <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> > > You are infected with malware.

> > > Read PA Bear's message for instructions on how to proceed.
>
> > > --
> > > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
> > Thank's to all of the good persons who have replied with good solid
> > info!
> > I have seen many references to a spyware removal program called
> > SPYBOT.
> > Has anyone reading this used it, and with what success? =A0
>
> First, note that the name of the program is *not* Spybot (that would
> be a very negative name). The name is Spybot Search and Destroy.
>
> Spybot Search and Destroy used to be one of the better anti-spyware
> programs. It's not terrible, but it's no longer one of the better
> ones. The two best ones are MalwareBytes AntiMalware and
> SuperAntiSpyware. Both are available in freeware versions and I
> recommend using both, not just one of them.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Dear Ken: thank's for the suggestons!  I have downloaded MalwareBytes
AntiMalware & try that.  Best, Aaron
0
aaronep
12/4/2009 2:20:21 AM
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 18:20:21 -0800 (PST), "aaronep@pacbell.net"
<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:

> On Dec 3, 10:54�am, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:18:40 -0800 (PST), "aaro...@pacbell.net"
> >

> > <aaro...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> > > Thank's to all of the good persons who have replied with good solid
> > > info!
> > > I have seen many references to a spyware removal program called
> > > SPYBOT.
> > > Has anyone reading this used it, and with what success? �
> >
> > First, note that the name of the program is *not* Spybot (that would
> > be a very negative name). The name is Spybot Search and Destroy.
> >
> > Spybot Search and Destroy used to be one of the better anti-spyware
> > programs. It's not terrible, but it's no longer one of the better
> > ones. The two best ones are MalwareBytes AntiMalware and
> > SuperAntiSpyware. Both are available in freeware versions and I
> > recommend using both, not just one of them.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
> Dear Ken: thank's for the suggestons!  I have downloaded MalwareBytes
> AntiMalware & try that.  Best, Aaron

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
12/4/2009 2:26:47 PM
On Dec 4, 6:26=A0am, "Ken Blake, MVP" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain>
wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 18:20:21 -0800 (PST), "aaro...@pacbell.net"
>

> <aaro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > On Dec 3, 10:54=A0am, "Ken Blake, MVP"
> > <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> > > First, note that the name of the program is *not* Spybot (that would
> > > be a very negative name). The name is Spybot Search and Destroy.
>
> > > Spybot Search and Destroy used to be one of the better anti-spyware
> > > programs. It's not terrible, but it's no longer one of the better
> > > ones. The two best ones are MalwareBytes AntiMalware and
> > > SuperAntiSpyware. Both are available in freeware versions and I
> > > recommend using both, not just one of them.
>
> > > --
> > > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
> > Dear Ken: thank's for the suggestons! =A0I have downloaded MalwareBytes
> > AntiMalware & try that. =A0Best, Aaron
>
> You're welcome. Glad to help.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Note to Ken Blake & Others:   Again, thanks to all of you for your