Re: New file management software

thanatoid wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
>> thanatoid wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> If he is so ignorant he can't use Windows Explorer, he
>> doesn't deserve to use a computer.
>
> A monkey could use WE. And wouldn't know it's better not to.

Nonsense.
It's just a matter of being flexible enough to be able to fully use the
right tool for the right job.   Just like when I explained about using ERUNT
vs System Restore, but you probably didn't understand that.

>> Total Commander is more bloatware.   I suppose you liked
>> Norton Commander?
>
> I used XtreeGold, I never used NC but I know that it was a
> considerable improvement over the MS-DOS command line

I've used Xtree and XtreeGold.    Xtree came before XtreeGold, but that may
have predated your experience.   As for NC, that's another story.

> AFA file mgmt - you obviously have no clue what that even is.

As much, if not more so, than you, I'd bet.    Have you ever done any
programming in machine or assembly language, or even worked with the
hardware?   I've also worked a lot in DOS too.   But unlike you, find
Windows Explorer does a lot of what I need.   I don't always need third
party "helper apps" to do most of the basic file management.   But there are
some notable exceptions, however, like for multiple file renaming, or
tagging directories, and selective copies, deletes, and moves, etc, but
again, that's another case.   That still doesn't negate the fact that
Windows Explorer IS a decent file manager, contrary to your statement.

> How many partitions do you have?

4 on this drive (main one is NTFS, the other three are FAT32), one partition
on my secondary internal SATA with unallocated space on the rest at this
point, two equal size FAT32 partitions on an external USB enclosure drive,
and two partitions on another external drive, with one being NTFS and the
other being FAT32, assuming you can follow and understand that.

> Do you even know what a partition IS?

Sure.   It's a room in a house.

I've also used XYplorer and xplorer2 on some occasions, but most
of the time, Windows Explorer works fine for me.

 Weren't YOU the one who had the "problem" of where programs installed
themselves, and are still trying to handle that?

0
Bill

Convert PNG file to Bitmap without a DC?
I'd like to store images resources as PNGs due to the compression over bitmps. To load such a resource and get it converted to a bitmap for the eventual Blit to my screen DC, I basically want the equivalent of LoadBitmap. Better yet, I was thinking I would create a CBitmap derived class "CPNGImage" that would have a "LoadPNGResource" method much like CBitmap's LoadBitmap method. So far so good. The stumbling block for me at this point is that the process of converting the PNG to a bitmap seems to require a DC compatible with my device. This is neatly enc...

Re-arranging table using pivot-table?

access file to exe file
Hi, good day! May i know the procedures on how to make access file to an executable file. I read a lot of Access books from 97 to XP versions but i was not able to find any. thank you very much and anticipating your response. Anthony > May i know the procedures on how to make access file to an > executable file. I read a lot of Access books from 97 to > XP versions but i was not able to find any. I tried a number of converters to translate Access into Visual Basic, all with limited success. Even when I was able to get a form working it required as much time to tweek it a...

Saving files when closing Excel
Excel does not prompt for saving changes when closing a file after changes to the file have been done. Hi have you checked that there's no event macro in your file? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jonathan Gold wrote: > Excel does not prompt for saving changes when closing a file after > changes to the file have been done. ...

Re-install Outlook 2002

Inserting new rows into sheet
I am using the following code to insert a new row onto my spreadsheet: Rows("5:5").Select Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove This code will insert a new row above the current row number 5, which is okay. My problem is that the new row has the same height and possibly dimensions and formatting of row 4. Can I basically tell Excel to insert a row of cells that are a default size or a size of my specification?? I dont want Excel to insert a row of cells that are the same dimensions of the above or below row. I realize that I co...

Re-Enable CRM User

Excel Icon for files
I am running Windows 2000 professional on my PC and connected to a LAN. I am running the MS office 2000 Professional suite. When, I save a worksheet from Exel 2000 it does not save the file with the common Excel file Icon(green X). The file is displayed with the default Windows Flag Icon. When I double click on this default Windows Flag Icon the system tries to open the file with Word not Excel. Word and PowerPoint both save with their common Icons. The Excel program saved fine a couple of weeks ago. I have not installed any new software and our server takes care of Virus protection thro...

RE:Excel will not open from a web link

Vlookups to Excel Version 3 files.
I use a system that on a daily basis creates an Excel version 3 file containing cost centers and their budgets. When I do vlookups from other Excel 97 files to this file it takes a long time for the sheet to calculate. If I save the Excel V3 file as Excel 97 its OK, and if the Excel V3 file is open before the 97 file its OK. I don't want to have to constantly save the V3 file as 97 (I may not be around to do that always) Does anyone know how to resolve this. Thanks Naz ...

How do i change my file from a 2003 office doument to a 2000 docu.
i have done this before with a word document but i dont seem to be able to figure out how to do it with a publisher document.... can anybody help?? File, save as, files of type, expand the menu to Publisher 2000. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E89A2FF9-20DD-4568-980F-73162AE7AB8A@microsoft.com... >i have done this before with a word document but i dont seem to be able to > figure out how to do it with a publisher document.... can anybody he...

I need a macro to find cut and paste data to new cell
I have data that I have exported to excel that I need to reformat to be able to create a pivot table to check for duplicate entries. On importing the data which is in the form of journal entries the memo line is stting above the journal numbers in column D. I need to find all of the comments and cut and paste them to column C. The comments are not all the same but do contain the same word "To" in the comment. The journals are not all the same size and so the comment line does not appear at regular intervals. Any help appreciated as I am very new to VBA ...

Re: exmerge error

Register a file extension
I would like to allow my users to register my apps file extension from within the app. I have managed to register the extension but the description isn't being shown in explorer on xp or 7, I can not also get the icon to display. Below is the code I found on the internet: Private Declare Function RegCreateKey Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "RegCreateKeyA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpSubKey As String, phkResult As Long) As Long Private Declare Function RegSetValue Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "RegSetValueA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpSubKey ...

How to create a .XLS file instead of a .CSV file
I have a COBOL program that generates a .CSV file regularly but I have a problem in the .csv file my users want the file to be in .XLS instead of .CSV is there a simple way I can turn my .csv file into a ..XLS file please advise. Can my COBOL program put some structure to turn the .CSV file into a ..XLS file. Also, can somebody share a VB Script to turn a .CSV file into a .XLS file. Thanks Karen An easy way is to open it in Excel and then save it as a workbook. You might just write a CSV file and name it with an XLS extension if the main gripe is having to change the fileopen dialog to lo...

Transfer files from money 99 to money 2003
We have a new computer with money 2003, old computer has our records in money 99. We tried to import export but the records to not come across correctly. What should we d???? You shouldn't have to export or import. Just move across your .MNY data file and open it with the newer version. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=68. "Michelle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1351501c419bd$2899add0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > We have a new computer with money 2003, old computer has > our records in money 99. We tried to import export but > the...

How do I set up another pst file with password ie Have a general .
I am running Outlook 2000, I wish to have a general folder for all to access, and then my own personal folder, passworded....Is it possible??? Please help!!! Thanks What I would do is the following: Go to Tools > Services > Add > Personal Folders. Then select location for the PST on your hard disk and set a password for it. This procedure should be followed, if the other users are using the same Windows logon to access this mailbox. Alternatively you can choose to Delegate access to only one folder to the users you need. To do this go to Tools > Options > Delegates to give...

re re re ????
nefertiti ??? ...

WHY CAN I RECEIVE BUT NOT SEND IN OUTLOOK 2003 FROM A NEW DELL COMPUTER? pLEASE HELP
i USE AN OPTIPLEX 210, WITH VERIZON DSL AND MICROSOFT SMALL BUSINESS EDITION 2003, WITH OUTLOOK 2003. Norton Internet Security SUite, with lowered settings. DSL is not the problem I don't think. I can send out via an alternate gmail pop account and in Outlook Express. This doesn't happen every day, and usually when it does after 3-5 hours of use of my computer. I can still receive, but the SENT email gets stuck in my outbox. I have to shut down my computer and start it up again and then I can send email. I had some memory problems indicated at shutdown, but no code that is resear...

Re:

Re: Where should be the best place to stored Applcation Data Files?
"Giovanni Dicanio" <gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> ha scritto nel messaggio news:... > BTW: this post by John Robbins is very interesting reading: > http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/default.aspx copy-and-pasto - the correct link is this: http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2008/07/10/in-defense-of-vista-and-the-challenges-facing-windows-7.aspx Giovanni And then there's this Vista security discussion from last Friday (cool date, 8/8/8): http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/08/1155208 -GB On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:50:23 +0200, ...

delete log files
have a filled up drive- no need for logfiles in this instance circumstance would allow circular logging for next few months, before setting though, need to reclaim space on hdd. how to tell which logfiles I can delete and not hose the db? In news:14ABD827-B264-4626-8970-20E5578A4053@microsoft.com, AlexandrDiogenes@hotmail.com <AlexandrDiogeneshotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > have a filled up drive- no need for logfiles in this instance > circumstance would allow circular logging for next few months, before > setting though, need to reclaim space on hdd. how ...