QoS RSVP service (XP)

My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2).  I
have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run.  However, sometimes it is
turned back on (and I am not doing it manually).  My question -- Does anyone
have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or
whatever.

So, why do I care?  Sending an email with a large attachment is sometimes
VERY, VERY slow.  For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I send as
an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes.  If I disable QoS, sending the
same email is at least 10 times faster.  But, QoS somehow keeps getting
re-enabled.

Any ideas will be really appreciated.

I'll answer your question with a question: Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows
Update website will not be available after 10 July 2010 until SP3 is
installed.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Hickory wrote:
> My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2).  I
> have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run.  However, sometimes it
> is
> turned back on (and I am not doing it manually).  My question -- Does
> anyone
> have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or
> whatever.
>
> So, why do I care?  Sending an email with a large attachment is sometimes
> VERY, VERY slow.  For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I send
> as an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes.  If I disable QoS,
> sending
> the same email is at least 10 times faster.  But, QoS somehow keeps
> getting
> re-enabled.
>
> Any ideas will be really appreciated.

0
PA
1/16/2010 1:44:21 AM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> I'll answer your question with a question: Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

Because he doesn't trust nutters like you forcing him to do things he
doesn't want.

> Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
> security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and
> Windows Update website will not be available after 10 July 2010 until
> SP3 is installed.

What has this got to do with OP's question?

0
ANONYMOUS
1/16/2010 1:53:12 AM
Hickory wrote:

>My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2).  I
>have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run.  However, sometimes it is
>turned back on (and I am not doing it manually).  My question -- Does anyone
>have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or
>whatever.
>
>So, why do I care?  Sending an email with a large attachment is sometimes
>VERY, VERY slow.  For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I send as
>an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes.  If I disable QoS, sending the
>same email is at least 10 times faster.  But, QoS somehow keeps getting
>re-enabled.
>
>Any ideas will be really appreciated.

You do need QoS RSVP if you are still using  Windows Wireless Control
rather than your Wireless manufacturer's own software.  I use M$ so I
have got it in my Win XP SP3.

You can rename the file rsvp.exe which is found in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsvp.exe

hth
0
ANONYMOUS
1/16/2010 1:59:54 AM
PA Bear is not a nutter (I've seen some good answers from him).  BUT, your
conclusion is correct that the reply has nothing to do with the original
problem.

But, again, my question actually is "Does anyone know what might re-enable
QoS RSVP?"  Are you suggesting that, by renaming rsvp.exe, that it can't get
turned on?  Also, I am not using any wireless.

Many thanks

"ANONYMOUS" wrote:

> Hickory wrote:
>
> >My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2).  I
> >have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run.  However, sometimes it is
> >turned back on (and I am not doing it manually).  My question -- Does anyone
> >have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or
> >whatever.
> >
> >So, why do I care?  Sending an email with a large attachment is sometimes
> >VERY, VERY slow.  For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I send as
> >an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes.  If I disable QoS, sending the
> >same email is at least 10 times faster.  But, QoS somehow keeps getting
> >re-enabled.
> >
> >Any ideas will be really appreciated.
> >

> You do need QoS RSVP if you are still using  Windows Wireless Control
> rather than your Wireless manufacturer's own software.  I use M$ so I
> have got it in my Win XP SP3.
>
> You can rename the file rsvp.exe which is found in:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsvp.exe
>
> hth
> .

Install SP3 to answer your question

--
Peter

"Hickory" <Hickory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> PA Bear is not a nutter (I've seen some good answers from him).  BUT, your
> conclusion is correct that the reply has nothing to do with the original
> problem.
>
> But, again, my question actually is "Does anyone know what might re-enable
> QoS RSVP?"  Are you suggesting that, by renaming rsvp.exe, that it can't get
> turned on?  Also, I am not using any wireless.
>
> Many thanks
>
> "ANONYMOUS" wrote:
>
>> Hickory wrote:
>>
>> >My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2).  I
>> >have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run.  However, sometimes it is
>> >turned back on (and I am not doing it manually).  My question -- Does anyone
>> >have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or
>> >whatever.
>> >
>> >So, why do I care?  Sending an email with a large attachment is sometimes
>> >VERY, VERY slow.  For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I send as
>> >an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes.  If I disable QoS, sending the
>> >same email is at least 10 times faster.  But, QoS somehow keeps getting
>> >re-enabled.
>> >
>> >Any ideas will be really appreciated.
>> >

>> You do need QoS RSVP if you are still using  Windows Wireless Control
>> rather than your Wireless manufacturer's own software.  I use M$ so I
>> have got it in my Win XP SP3.
>>
>> You can rename the file rsvp.exe which is found in:
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsvp.exe
>>
>> hth
>> .

0
Peter
1/16/2010 1:44:23 PM
This is really frustrating.  What are you suggesting by that reply.
Won't anyone just answer the question?
I have some very old software that I really depend on; I am happy with the
system I have (albeit there are some issues, of course); I do not like to
download/upgrade/whatever software unless I know what is being changed.

Well, thanks anyway.

Hickory wrote:
> My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP
> (SP2).  I have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run.
> However, sometimes it is turned back on (and I am not doing it
> manually).  My question -- Does anyone have any ideas how QoS might
> get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or whatever.
>
> So, why do I care?  Sending an email with a large attachment is
> sometimes VERY, VERY slow.  For example, I have a 1mb file (not all
> that big) I send as an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes.  If
> I disable QoS, sending the same email is at least 10 times faster.
> But, QoS somehow keeps getting re-enabled.
>
> Any ideas will be really appreciated.

You need to change the Startup type from Automatic to Manual:

Start | Run | type "services.msc" (without the quotation marks) | OK

Double-click QoS RSVP

If the service has been started, click the Stop button.

For Startup Type, select Manual

Click OK.

Also, I agree with PA Bear with regard to your SP level. Support for SP2
ends this spring. You should definitely upgrade to SP3 (which will be
supported through 2014). When you are ready to do so, post back for
guidance since there are certain precautions you need to take before
upgrading, and we weill be happy to provide guidance.

0
Daave
1/16/2010 3:30:20 PM
On Jan 15, 5:01=A0pm, Hickory <Hick...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2). =
=A0I
> have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run. =A0However, sometimes =
it is
> turned back on (and I am not doing it manually). =A0My question -- Does a=
nyone
> have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server o=
> whatever.
>
> So, why do I care? =A0Sending an email with a large attachment is sometim=
es
> VERY, VERY slow. =A0For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I s=
end as
> an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes. =A0If I disable QoS, sendin=
g the
> same email is at least 10 times faster. =A0But, QoS somehow keeps getting
> re-enabled.
>
> Any ideas will be really appreciated.

If you set the QoS Service to manual (you did not say), that does not
keep some "QoS Aware" application from starting it if it thinks it
need to.  There are many rumors about QoS but you will have to
research to see if you are using Qos Aware applications that may be
starting it behind your back.  It is certainly on my list of Services
to disable.

Setting it to manual does not equal disable.

If you disable it, you will only be able to start it from Services.
Nobody (including you) should be able to start it - even from a CMD
prompts.  Try it.

From Services, stop Qos and set it manual and then, from a command
prompt enter:

net start rsvp

It will start and tell you so.  Stop the service and set it to
Disabled and you will not be able to start it again.

If you disable it and you find it started, there will be an System
Event Log message that it started and that that will give you clues.
It would be most curious.

To stop the service manually,

net stop rsvp
0
Jose
1/16/2010 4:03:42 PM
Repost: Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical

@anonymous: <bite me>

Hickory wrote:
> This is really frustrating.  What are you suggesting by that reply.
> Won't anyone just answer the question?
> I have some very old software that I really depend on; I am happy with the
> system I have (albeit there are some issues, of course); I do not like to
> download/upgrade/whatever software unless I know what is being changed.

0
PA
1/16/2010 7:25:25 PM
Thanks to Daave and Jose.

I have always Disabled QoS RSVP, never set it to Manual.  I have done this
several times.  Then, next day OR maybe even a couple of weeks later, QoS is
back to running again.  I am the only account on this PC and the only user.
I know I haven't set QoS to Automatic or Manual.

This all goes back to the problem in my initial post.  If, for example, I
send an email with a 1mb attachment, it may transmit very slowly.  Task
Manager Network utilization shows roughly 0.04% with Bytes per Interval of
21,000, then 600, then 240, back to 21k and repeated over and over.  Often
these transmissions fail and I have to start over again.  When working OK,
Task Manager shows Network utilization at about 0.45% with Bytes per Interval
of, say, 131,000, 120,000 than back to 131k and so forth.  Download time for
the same file (when I send to myself) is nearly twice as fast, as I expect.
This "slow" versus "fast" is seemingly random, that is, it runs fast every
time for a while, then for some reason, slow every time until I do something.

If sending is slow, I look at QoS RSVP.  If running, I again Disable it,
then email is sent quite fast again.  But, the problem always returns.  I
have no idea why.

I do not track web surfing since there are so many variables.  What's being
searched, how many pages, what is their server doing, etc.?

More than a year ago, I downloaded DrTCP021 as recommended on this forum.  I
ran it using the settings suggested.  My understanding is that all it does is
set some register entries.  If email is again very slow, the problem may be
fixed temporarily by running DrTCP021 and saving the settings even though I
make NO changes.  I don't know why this works either.  (Does anyone know what
register entries are set by this program -- I would like to be able to
confirm the values in the registry.)

So, the bottom line is that sending an email with an attachment of more than
several K may be very slow, then I "fix" the problem by disabling QoS or
running DrTCP without changing anything and voila!, it runs fast again --
until something happens and it runs slow again.  I have been over a year
trying to figure out what "something" is.

This has been checked with our local ISP/carrier and with a local PC
technician.  No answers or solutions even though I know they have tried.
This is not malware as the PC has been checked with Norton (ughh??) and
Spy-Bot as well as the PC technician with a different virus program.

I have a Dell 4700 with XP.  The NIC card is an Intel Pro/100 VE using an
Ethernet cable.  There are no connected PC's or other equipment and no
wireless.

This one has me, our ISP and local technician really stumped.  Many thanks
to anyone who has any ideas.

On Jan 16, 2:49=A0pm, Hickory <Hick...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > need to. =A0There are many rumors about QoS but you will have to
> > research to see if you are using Qos Aware applications that may be
> > starting it behind your back. =A0It is certainly on my list of Services
> > to disable.
>
> > Setting it to manual does not equal disable.
>
> > If you disable it, you will only be able to start it from Services.
> > Nobody (including you) should be able to start it - even from a CMD
> > prompts. =A0Try it.
>
> > From Services, stop Qos and set it manual and then, from a command
> > prompt enter:
>
> > net start rsvp
>
> > It will start and tell you so. =A0Stop the service and set it to
> > Disabled and you will not be able to start it again.
>
> > If you disable it and you find it started, there will be an System
> > Event Log message that it started and that that will give you clues.

What are you using for your email client?

What is DrTCP021 supposed to do and how do you know if you "need" it?
I read it "does some things to make it faster maybe" and those posts
were really old and I am not trying some executable thing that might
work maybe.  Someplace else said it was all BS.

Did that put anything in your configuration/startup that you can see?

If you disable the service and reboot, you should not even be able to
start it manually until you enable it or set it to manual again - is
that not what you see?

If QoS is disabled and you send your email attachment does it start
running?  When it starts, it puts an event in the Event Log.

You should troubleshoot your system when it is broken of course.  If
you suspect upload/download, then do some tests.

www.speedtest.net (Comcast likes this one - beware of ads)

http://www.bandwidth.com/tools/speedTest/

See what your speeds are.  Find an intelligent person from your ISP
(this may take several calls) and ask them what they advertise the
upload/download speeds are supposed to be for the type of service you
are paying for and how can you test it right now with them on the
phone.

Do not volunteer the results of your own testing or any unnecessary
details.

Tell them you think your stuff takes too long and ask them how you can
confirm and test your upload/download speeds are okay using whatever
methods or WWW sites they suggest.   Just - how do I test it to be
sure I am getting what I pay for.  You may be getting better than what
they advertise or you may have to call them on it.

If you run the test they suggest and it sucks, get them to (make them)
help you fix it or explain it.  If it is too slow, don't accept any of
that "unusually heavy traffic" BS.  Comcast came out to my friends
house and replaced everything from the pole in the street to his
laptop when they could not explain only 25% of their advertised
speed.  They got it going.  I was ROTFLMAO and I don't use acronyms
very much.

QoS doesn't seem to make any difference on my system with those tests,
but I am leaving it disabled and I can't remember when I did decided
to turn it off.
0
Jose
1/16/2010 8:33:09 PM
Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It provides no
additional protection, it may be causing the problem, and even Symantec says
it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

Hickory wrote:
> [...]
>> need to.  There are many rumors about QoS but you will have to
>> research to see if you are using Qos Aware applications that may be
>> starting it behind your back.  It is certainly on my list of Services
>> to disable.
>>
>> Setting it to manual does not equal disable.
>>
>> If you disable it, you will only be able to start it from Services.
>> Nobody (including you) should be able to start it - even from a CMD
>> prompts.  Try it.
>>
>> From Services, stop Qos and set it manual and then, from a command
>> prompt enter:
>>
>> net start rsvp
>>
>> It will start and tell you so.  Stop the service and set it to
>> Disabled and you will not be able to start it again.
>>
>> If you disable it and you find it started, there will be an System
>> Event Log message that it started and that that will give you clues.

0
PA
1/16/2010 9:15:16 PM
Hickory wrote:
> Thanks to Daave and Jose.
>
> I have always Disabled QoS RSVP, never set it to Manual.

Set it to Manual then. :-)

That is the default setting for this service.

Also, it is important not to confuse stopping a service with disabling a
service.

So, make sure it is stopped. Then set it to Manual. AFAIK, only if the
startup type is Automatic, will something be able to trip it to the On
posistion. Setting the type to Disabled should prevent it from running
whatsoever -- even if you issue a command for it to do so.

If you indeed *did* set the Startup Type to Disabled *and* if it later
became enabled and started running, I would surely suspect malware.

Also, PA Bear raised a good point regarding e-mail scanning.

0
Daave
1/16/2010 10:24:38 PM
Thanks to Jose, PA Bear and Daave --

For Jose, I am using Outlook Express 6.  I do not "know" that I need
DrTCP021.  I only know someone on this forum about a year ago suggested it
and that sometimes, it temporarily fixes the problem.  Since it supposedly is
only a GUI for setting registry values, I can not "see" any thang that is
being done.  (That's why I asked if anyone knew what entries were being
changed.)  I have done several tests at, for example, DSLReports.com.  Just
this morning, I got (download/upload) 1254/165, the executed DrTCP021 with no
reboot, then ran the test again and got 1157/324.  I can't begin to explain
this.

For PA Bear, I have on many occassions turned off email scanning, either
outgoing only or both incoming/outgoing.  It seems to make almost no
difference -- too little to make any real conclusions.

For Daave, I believe I am being very specific when I set QoS in
services.msc.  There are only 3 possibilities.  I am setting it to Disabled.
I agree that nothing should be able to turn it on.  If I set it to Manual,
wouldn't that allow some software to then, in fact, enable it?

You are all trying to help -- I really appreciate it.

On Jan 17, 4:37=A0pm, Hickory <Hick...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks to Jose, PA Bear and Daave --
>
> For Jose, I am using Outlook Express 6. =A0I do not "know" that I need
> DrTCP021. =A0I only know someone on this forum about a year ago suggested=
 it
> and that sometimes, it temporarily fixes the problem. =A0Since it suppose=
dly is
> only a GUI for setting registry values, I can not "see" any thang that is
> being done. =A0(That's why I asked if anyone knew what entries were being
> changed.) =A0I have done several tests at, for example, DSLReports.com. =
=A0Just
> this morning, I got (download/upload) 1254/165, the executed DrTCP021 wit=
h no
> reboot, then ran the test again and got 1157/324. =A0I can't begin to exp=
lain
> this.
>
> For PA Bear, I have on many occassions turned off email scanning, either
> outgoing only or both incoming/outgoing. =A0It seems to make almost no
> difference -- too little to make any real conclusions.
>
> For Daave, I believe I am being very specific when I set QoS in
> services.msc. =A0There are only 3 possibilities. =A0I am setting it to Di=
sabled. =A0
> I agree that nothing should be able to turn it on. =A0If I set it to Manu=
al,
> wouldn't that allow some software to then, in fact, enable it?
>
> You are all trying to help -- I really appreciate it.
>

> "Daave" wrote:
> > Hickory wrote:
> > > Thanks to Daave and Jose.
>
> > > I have always Disabled QoS RSVP, never set it to Manual.
>
> > Set it to Manual then. :-)
>
> > That is the default setting for this service.
>
> > Also, it is important not to confuse stopping a service with disabling =
> > service.
>
> > So, make sure it is stopped. Then set it to Manual. AFAIK, only if the
> > startup type is Automatic, will something be able to trip it to the On
> > posistion. Setting the type to Disabled should prevent it from running
> > whatsoever -- even if you issue a command for it to do so.
>
> > If you indeed *did* set the Startup Type to Disabled *and* if it later
> > became enabled and started running, I would surely suspect malware.
>
> > Also, PA Bear raised a good point regarding e-mail scanning.
>
> > .

After you set it to Disabled, you need to try to figure out (later of
course) what turns it on again.

Disable it, send an email that you you think might be a problem, see
it it is running, etc.  You need to experiment.

Have you looked in the Event Log to see when the service is being
turned on?  Then you may have some idea as to what you were doing at
the time.

You know - a message like this:

Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	Service Control Manager
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	7036
The QoS RSVP service entered the running state.

What happens around the time of that message?

0
Jose
1/18/2010 12:50:58 PM
Answers inline.

Hickory wrote:
> Thank you.  What and where is the Event Log?  You answer seems rather
> reasonable.

Right-click My Computer and select Manage. Then select Event Viewer.

> On the other hand, I am not sure that QoS is the problem.  This
> morning as a further test, I did the following.  QoS RSVP is still
> Disbabled from two days ago.

I tend to agree that your problem is caused by something else. Then
again, I would like to know what is causing this service to start up in
the first place. If it is disabled, it should *never* do this! That is
why I thought malware might be involved.

> 1) Sent an email with my test 1mb attachment to myself.  It ran very
> slow. After a few minutes, it failed and the submission was lost --
> the message was not sent.
> 2) Executed DrTCP021 with NO changes and saved.
> 3) Sent the same email.  It was transmitted about ten times faster and
> succeeded.
> 4) Rebooted.
> 5) Sent the same email.  Again, it was very slow and failed.
>
> Since (supposedly) DrTCP021 is only a GUI to set certain values in the
> register, how is this even possible.  This makes absolutely no sense.
> The only thing I can think of is that OE6 is looking at the register
> EACH time it is started.  But, even that does not make sense.

It is a mystery!

> And, by the way, if email scanning was the whole or even part of the
> problem, why would the transmission be fast even when scanning is
> turned on?

Good point. But there might be an intermittent problem with the
scanning. I would turn it off completely. Who knows? Perhaps that's all
you need to do to solve your problem!

BTW, If you set the QoS Service to Manual, it should *not* allow some
software to trip it (that is what the Automatic setting is for). If you
choose Manual, that means that in order for the service to run, you
would need to start it manually.

> "Jose" wrote:
>
>> On Jan 17, 4:37 pm, Hickory <Hick...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Thanks to Jose, PA Bear and Daave --
>>>
>>> For Jose, I am using Outlook Express 6.  I do not "know" that I need
>>> DrTCP021.  I only know someone on this forum about a year ago
>>> suggested it and that sometimes, it temporarily fixes the problem.
>>> Since it supposedly is only a GUI for setting registry values, I
>>> can not "see" any thang that is being done.  (That's why I asked if
>>> anyone knew what entries were being changed.)  I have done several
>>> tests at, for example, DSLReports.com.  Just this morning, I got
>>> (download/upload) 1254/165, the executed DrTCP021 with no reboot,
>>> then ran the test again and got 1157/324.  I can't begin to explain
>>> this.
>>>
>>> For PA Bear, I have on many occassions turned off email scanning,
>>> either outgoing only or both incoming/outgoing.  It seems to make
>>> almost no difference -- too little to make any real conclusions.
>>>
>>> For Daave, I believe I am being very specific when I set QoS in
>>> services.msc.  There are only 3 possibilities.  I am setting it to
>>> Disabled. I agree that nothing should be able to turn it on.  If I
>>> set it to Manual, wouldn't that allow some software to then, in
>>> fact, enable it?
>>>
>>> You are all trying to help -- I really appreciate it.

0
Daave
1/19/2010 5:45:07 PM
Many thanks to ALL of you.  This is still not resolved.  But all of your
comments are helpful and give me more things to try.  Yes, this is a real
mystery.  (Maybe I should just feed the gremlins more often!)

"Daave" wrote:

> Answers inline.
>
> Hickory wrote:
> > Thank you.  What and where is the Event Log?  You answer seems rather
> > reasonable.
>
> Right-click My Computer and select Manage. Then select Event Viewer.
>
> > On the other hand, I am not sure that QoS is the problem.  This
> > morning as a further test, I did the following.  QoS RSVP is still
> > Disbabled from two days ago.
>
> I tend to agree that your problem is caused by something else. Then
> again, I would like to know what is causing this service to start up in
> the first place. If it is disabled, it should *never* do this! That is
> why I thought malware might be involved.
>
> > 1) Sent an email with my test 1mb attachment to myself.  It ran very
> > slow. After a few minutes, it failed and the submission was lost --
> > the message was not sent.
> > 2) Executed DrTCP021 with NO changes and saved.
> > 3) Sent the same email.  It was transmitted about ten times faster and
> > succeeded.
> > 4) Rebooted.
> > 5) Sent the same email.  Again, it was very slow and failed.
> >
> > Since (supposedly) DrTCP021 is only a GUI to set certain values in the
> > register, how is this even possible.  This makes absolutely no sense.
> > The only thing I can think of is that OE6 is looking at the register
> > EACH time it is started.  But, even that does not make sense.
>
> It is a mystery!
>
> > And, by the way, if email scanning was the whole or even part of the
> > problem, why would the transmission be fast even when scanning is
> > turned on?
>
> Good point. But there might be an intermittent problem with the
> scanning. I would turn it off completely. Who knows? Perhaps that's all
> you need to do to solve your problem!
>
> BTW, If you set the QoS Service to Manual, it should *not* allow some
> software to trip it (that is what the Automatic setting is for). If you
> choose Manual, that means that in order for the service to run, you
> would need to start it manually.
>

> > "Jose" wrote:

> .

Some of us may find that after installing Windows XP, the Internet
connection gets slower. A possible reason for this is the QoS (Quality
of Service) installed. This service reserves 20 per cent of the
bandwidth for itself, even with QoS disabled. In order to remove this
reserved quota, you will have to make sure you are logged on as
Administrator. Go to Start > Run and type gpedit.msc. Expand the local
computer policy branch, the administrative templates branch, and the
network branch. Highlight the QoS Packet Scheduler in the left window
and in the right window double-click the limit reservable bandwidth
setting. Then, on the Setting tab, check the enabled item and change the
Bandwidth limit % to read 0. After doing this, you should immediately
notice a boost in your Internet connection speed.

You also need to verify that QOS packet scheduler is enabled in your
network connection properties done by going to control panel > network
connections > right click on your connection > properties > check mark
for QOS.

0
brikeh
2/9/2010 8:09:07 AM
Hickory;1165757 Wrote:
> My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2).
> have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run.  However, sometimes
> it is
> turned back on (and I am not doing it manually).  My question -- Does
> anyone
> have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server
> or
> whatever.
>
> So, why do I care?  Sending an email with a large attachment is
> sometimes
> VERY, VERY slow.  For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I
> send as
> an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes.  If I disable QoS,
> sending the
> same email is at least 10 times faster.  But, QoS somehow keeps getting
>
> re-enabled.
>
> Any ideas will be really appreciated.

Some of us may find that after installing Windows XP, the Internet
connection gets slower. A possible reason for this is the QoS (Quality
of Service) installed. This service reserves 20 per cent of the
bandwidth for itself, even with QoS disabled. In order to remove this
reserved quota, you will have to make sure you are logged on as
Administrator. Go to Start > Run and type gpedit.msc. Expand the local
computer policy branch, the administrative templates branch, and the
network branch. Highlight the QoS Packet Scheduler in the left window
and in the right window double-click the limit reservable bandwidth
setting. Then, on the Setting tab, check the enabled item and change the
Bandwidth limit % to read 0. After doing this, you should immediately
notice a boost in your Internet connection speed.

You also need to verify that QOS packet scheduler is enabled in your
network connection properties done by going to control panel > network
connections > right click on your connection > properties > check mark
for QOS.

0
brikeh

70-284: unable to run Exchange services using a service account
I'm working through the MS study kit for 70-284. I installed Exchange 2003 using a service account set up for the purpose; all OK. Initially the services run as LocalSystem so I changed them to run using the service account. However the System Attendant now does not start. I get an Event ID 1005 with text: "Unexpected error The logon attempt failed ID no: 8009030c Microsoft Exchange System Attendant occurred. " That would suggest a problem with authenticating as the service account, yet I was logged on with that account and the Exchange Management service starts up fine using ...

Money 2002
The Money 2002 disc doesn't say it's XP compatible but the booklet does...does anyone know for sure? did you try loading it? >-----Original Message----- >The Money 2002 disc doesn't say it's XP compatible but >the booklet does...does anyone know for sure? >. > It runs under XP OK. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "tina" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:000301c3a6ec$36eefaf0$...

How to XPStyles to be retained when the theme is classic on an XP Machine
Hi Everybody, I am working on an application that was developed in VC++ 6.0. It was migrated to VC++ 7.0 to have the .Net Support. The application's GUI looks very old and dull when I loaded XP in my machine with XP theme .To Make it look fresh I added the Manifest.xml and now it looks fresh with the rounded rectangles and shades. The PROBLEM that I face now is when someone goes and changes the theme of the system to "Windows Classic" using Control Panel/ Desktop properties the entire new look goes off and it again starts looking the same. Can somebody help me as to what I sh...

internet explorer/ or MY OP\XP\PERFESSIONAL
DOWN load office 2007 free 60 day and after four 1/2 hours it said "cant install need a newer version? And your Windows Update question is...? big.daddy1922@hotmail.com wrote: > DOWN load office 2007 free 60 day and after four 1/2 hours it said "cant > install need a newer version? big.daddy1922@hotmail.com wrote: > DOWN load office 2007 free 60 day and after four 1/2 hours it said > "cant install need a newer version? What? If English is not your primary language - I suggest you try posting in a newsgroup/forum where your native language is prev...

Unable to use manage online services
Yall, This issue is plaguing me for a while already. It happens that I installed Money 2005 SB and now I am unable to manage online services. When I try to go to set up online services, I chose credit card, and right after I am presented with a red font message saying “ …. To set up your accounts, you must be online. Please close Money, and then sign in to your file. When you sign in, make sure the Work offline box is cleared. ….”. The work offline is not set at File Menu so I am at a loss here. In addition, if I try to alter my passport at Password Manager I am presented with a...

Characters not supported by the Internet Services:
This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set. I'm running Exchange 5.5 and have only seed this once before. ...

How do I move/copy Outlook Express messages from a Win98 PC to an xp for Home PC
Just bouht a new PC with Windows xp for Home. I was able to export to a Zip Cartridge all the Address Book, but when I cannot find a way to export the messages (including all the folders). Could someone tell me a way, or tell me it cannot be done. ...

Outlook "Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service" with attachments
Hi gurus In Outlook I am getting "Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service" with any attachments. Can send using the Send To in Word etc. NT4 SP6 Outlook 2000. Only Outlook running. Thanks to 1 n all Juliet x ...

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Hi, I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. Everytime I go to Microsoft Updates and attempt to download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1, I get an error message....DOWNLOAD HAS FAILED. What could the problem be? Thank you for any assistance you can give me. Me to, Anybody?? "moon4707" <moon4707@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5286C7B5-9AB1-478C-A5EE-8F315A9EAB11@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. Everytime I go to Microsoft > Updates and attempt to download Microsoft .NET Framewo...

Business Portal and Reporting Services on same server
Hello: There was a white paper published on CustomerSource for integrating BP 3.0 and SQL Reporting Services 2005 onto the same web server. We have both BP 3.0 and SRS 2005 correctly configured and are working just fine. BP is accessible to external customers and also works just fine. However, SRS does not. The white paper states that BP and SRS cannot be in the same web site and one of them needs to be running on a different web site and a different port. So, I set SRS to run on port 81. External users cannot view the SRS website on port 81. The firewall is also correctly configured to...

Outlook XP "Send and receive, operation failed"
Hello, Every time I hit Send and receive button, it gives me the message that "operation failed". But infect, the operation didn't failed. Any Idea what could cause this problem? Thanks pls exit out of Outlook. goto your task manager & check if more than one instance of OUTLOOK.EXE is running. if yes, kill all instances & start Outlook again. also, try starting outlook in safe mode (press 'shift' while starting Outlook) & check if "send/receive" produces this error. you can do a detect-repair in outlook after this & check for you...

Money Keeps Shutting Down since XP Service Pack 3 was installed
Microsoft prompted me to install some secuirty updates yesterday, and since then Microsoft Money Small Business 2005 will not stay open. Shortly after opening the program, and without clicking on anything, I get the message, "We're sorry, but Microsoft Money has experienced an internal error and will have to restart." The error signature is AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 14.0.0.1105 ModName: myisam05.dll ModVer: 4.0.3107.7 Offset: 00001b37. Upon restarting Money, the same error occurs. I have uninstalled and re-installed Money, and run the Money updates to get current v...

Exchange Services Do not Start After a Restart #2
I have a SBS 2003 Running and for some reason some of my Exchange Service do not start after a restart. System Attendand tries to start shuts down unexpectedly. I can go to services right after logging in and start the services and they start with no problem. Right before the error that service did not start, I get this warning: "A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service. The Service Control Manager launched process 2448 and process 3688 connected instead. Note that if this se...

ocx in a service
I want use an ocx in a service. The create method of the ocx is the following virtual BOOL Create(LPCTSTR lpszClassName, LPCTSTR lpszWindowName, DWORD dwStyle, const RECT& rect, CWnd* pParentWnd, UINT nID, CCreateContext* pContext = NULL) In a service I do not have any CWnd, so I don’t know what put in the argument “CWnd* pParentWnd”. How can I solve this? Tks. Rui You should be using CoCreateInstance to create the OCX control. AliR. "Rui Oliveira" <RuiOliveira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1D47112-53FC-4B85-97A5-614A7139960A@microsoft.com....

Change online billpay service
I'm trying to change from MSN billpay to Wells Fargo on-line billpay. I have cancelled MSN Billpay and updated linking checking account on-line services to go directly through WF. I have set-up on-line billpay with WF and have a password. However, in the updating/changing on-line services within money the only option for online billpay is MSN. Where/how do I initiate the change in Money to access WF online billpay? I have looked through this newsgroup, help within money and there is hardly a word on how to change bill pay services. Seems like this would be a relatively common si...

Office XP web component error
Hello: I am trying to use the "Export to Microsoft Excel" button in the Office web component (pivot table component) from withing a web page. I get the following error: Unable to export to installed version of Microsoft excel. Export requires Excel 2000 or higher. Is it true that despite the installation of the Web component and the Office XP license, I would still nedd Office 2000 or higher????? I am able to do all other pivot table manipulations. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Usha ...

How can I set up an RSVP form for external recipients
I'm trying to send an email to several people using Publisher. I would like people to be able to RSVP to an event through a link but all the links I have tried won't work. How can I make it so an email can be sent to me through a link in Publisher with information already inbedded in the email? Like a form with check marks and areas to enter a name and phone number. ...

Smart Host and Internet Mail Service General Tab
Hello. We have Ex2K and we are relaying all outgoing messages through another virtual server which has GFI to filter our Internet mail. We have contracted with a third party mail filtering service. Now the mail filtering service said that we should enter the FQDN of their smart host in the Delivery Tab -> Advanced -> Smart Host of the Default SMTP Virtual server properties of the EX2K. The IMS properties of the Routing Group, do I select "Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector"? This used to have the IP address of the Virtual Server with the GFI in the &qu...

SQL 2005 Service packs
Hello, We are running SQL 2005 Standard, RTM, and want to install SP1 and SP2. Are there any known issues/gotchas with this? We are running GP 8.0 Thanks! Mark, I have not seen any issues with SQL 2005 SP1 or SP2 and GP 8.0, 9.0 or 10.0. You do not need to install SP1 as SP 2 is inclusive. Be sure to run Windows update after there is a Security Hotfix for 2005. "Mark Ellestad" <MarkEllestad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D5FD30A-33B7-4E2B-983A-0A3DF42703E1@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > We are running SQL 2005 Standard, RTM, and want to ins...

Exchange 5.5 Service Account
Hi, I have accidentally deleted this account and then recreate because of my mistake. Am I going to be in trouble. Please advise what should I do. Thanks TagaR Hi, FYI http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;163686 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152808 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266041 -- Jammy "TagaR" <TagaR@discussions.microsoft.com> ���g��l��s�D :8C9DF603-808D-486F-8297-5397496D9183@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have accidentally deleted this account and then recreate because of my > mist...

Windows XP
For the past few days most incoming e-mails have a "paperclip" in the left column of the subject line - even if there is no attachment. I've been told that an e-mail I sent out had a "paperclip" in the left column when I didn't send an attachment. Do you have any ideas what might be causing this? Thanks Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=I...

Why can't I save Publisher files since an XP upgrade?
-- 89Q Radio Trial version? Maybe the time has run out. Are you saving to your hard drive? Can you open files? Do you get an error? What version Publisher? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Coy" <Coy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4666111-8322-43AA-BD05-A1E24D4D7C23@microsoft.com... > > -- > 89Q Radio Mary: I have used Publisher 2002 for a couple of years now. It was only recently (since an upgrade t...

windows XP 64 bit service pack
Where can I find the windows 64 bit XP latest service pack? You have replies to your first posting. Ernie wrote: > Where can I find the windows 64 bit XP latest service pack? ...

Sycronizization of XP Professional with XP Home
Can anyone tell me how to syncronize my office version of Outlook (XP Professional) with my home version of XP Outlook (Home). When I tried to import the pst file from my office computer to my home computer I get a message that the file is incompatable. Is there a way to do this or does it not work by design? Greg <greghearn1@netzero.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me how to syncronize my office version of > Outlook (XP Professional) with my home version of XP > Outlook (Home). When I tried to import the pst file from > my office computer to my home computer I get a m...

HD grahics cards under Windows XP
I'm about to buy a HD graphics card and saw the Saphire Radeon HD 4550 had good reports for the price. The spec says "For Microsoft DirectX® 10.1 support, Windows Vista® Service Pack 1 is required". does this mean it will not work if I have windows XP or that just the MS DirectX 10.1 will not work. If the later what exactly is MS DirectX 10.1. Many thanks You don't get DirectX 10 support unless you have Vista. XP will only support version 9. I don't know exactly what version 10 would give you, a search on google should answer that although I&#...