Opened program minimizes itself to taskbar in Windows 7 64-bit

Operating System:  Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium Edition

Problem:  A program written for Windows XP when started immediately
minimizes itself to the taskbar and I can't get it off the taskbar.  I have
used different compatability modes without success.  If I choose to open in
a maximized window, it opens fully for a fraction of a second and then
immediately mimimizes itself to the taskbar.

The only workaround solution found is to right click the shortcut icon,
choose Troubleshoot Compatability, have the system search for a solution,
and choosing the defaults and starting the program that way gets the program
to work correctly and not be stuck on the taskbar.

Any idea what's going on?   No other program on my computer gives me this
problem.

Bud H

0
Bud

This group helps solve Windows XP issues, you could run Windows XP and
then if you have a problem we can suggest a solution. But it seems you
don't have a Windows XP problem, so perhaps you can post to the Windows
7 Answers forum or see if the vendor has a Windows 7 compatible version
available.

Bud H wrote:

> Operating System:  Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium Edition
>
> Problem:  A program written for Windows XP when started immediately
> minimizes itself to the taskbar and I can't get it off the taskbar.  I have
> used different compatability modes without success.  If I choose to open in
> a maximized window, it opens fully for a fraction of a second and then
> immediately mimimizes itself to the taskbar.
>
> The only workaround solution found is to right click the shortcut icon,
> choose Troubleshoot Compatability, have the system search for a solution,
> and choosing the defaults and starting the program that way gets the program
> to work correctly and not be stuck on the taskbar.
>

> Any idea what's going on?   No other program on my computer gives me this
> problem.
>

> Bud H

0
Bob
6/14/2010 7:44:55 PM
"Bud H" <budh9534@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Operating System:  Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium Edition
>
> Problem:  A program written for Windows XP when started immediately
> minimizes itself to the taskbar and I can't get it off the taskbar.  I
> have used different compatability modes without success.  If I choose to
> open in a maximized window, it opens fully for a fraction of a second
> and then immediately mimimizes itself to the taskbar.
>
> The only workaround solution found is to right click the shortcut icon,
> choose Troubleshoot Compatability, have the system search for a
> solution, and choosing the defaults and starting the program that way
> gets the program to work correctly and not be stuck on the taskbar.
>

> Any idea what's going on?   No other program on my computer gives me
> this problem.
>

> Bud H

It's actually opening off-screen.

Right click on the minimized window tab on the Taskbar and select Move.
Now use the arrow keys to get it in the screen. Close all other windows
except this one and use the cursor to drag the message to full screen
size. File | Exit, and Windows will remember the size when you open it
again.
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

0
Bruce
6/14/2010 7:49:08 PM
"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "Bud H" <budh9534@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Operating System:  Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium Edition
>>
>> Problem:  A program written for Windows XP when started immediately
>> minimizes itself to the taskbar and I can't get it off the taskbar.  I
>> have used different compatability modes without success.  If I choose to
>> open in a maximized window, it opens fully for a fraction of a second and
>> then immediately mimimizes itself to the taskbar.
>>
>> The only workaround solution found is to right click the shortcut icon,
>> choose Troubleshoot Compatability, have the system search for a solution,
>> and choosing the defaults and starting the program that way gets the
>> program to work correctly and not be stuck on the taskbar.
>>

>> Any idea what's going on?   No other program on my computer gives me this
>> problem.
>>

>> Bud H
>

> It's actually opening off-screen.
>
> Right click on the minimized window tab on the Taskbar and select Move.
> Now use the arrow keys to get it in the screen. Close all other windows
> except this one and use the cursor to drag the message to full screen
> size. File | Exit, and Windows will remember the size when you open it
> again.
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA

Thanks for the response.

When I right click on the program on the taskbar, "Move" is not one of the
options to click.  It does mention pin or unpin, and Close as options.

Bud H

0
Bud
6/14/2010 8:46:17 PM

> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bud H" <budh9534@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Operating System:  Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium Edition
>>>
>>> Problem:  A program written for Windows XP when started immediately
>>> minimizes itself to the taskbar and I can't get it off the taskbar.  I
>>> have used different compatability modes without success.  If I choose
>>> to open in a maximized window, it opens fully for a fraction of a
>>> second and then immediately mimimizes itself to the taskbar.
>>>
>>> The only workaround solution found is to right click the shortcut
>>> icon, choose Troubleshoot Compatability, have the system search for a
>>> solution, and choosing the defaults and starting the program that way
>>> gets the program to work correctly and not be stuck on the taskbar.
>>>

>>> Any idea what's going on?   No other program on my computer gives me
>>> this problem.
>>>

>>> Bud H
>>

>> It's actually opening off-screen.
>>
>> Right click on the minimized window tab on the Taskbar and select Move.
>> Now use the arrow keys to get it in the screen. Close all other windows
>> except this one and use the cursor to drag the message to full screen
>> size. File | Exit, and Windows will remember the size when you open it
>> again.
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

> Thanks for the response.
>
> When I right click on the program on the taskbar, "Move" is not one of
> the options to click.  It does mention pin or unpin, and Close as
> options.
>
> Bud H

Sorry about that. I didn't realize Win7 didn't have the Move option. Might
I suggest:

Windows 7 Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Microsoft Answers - First Time Users
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

0
Bruce
6/14/2010 8:55:01 PM
Bud H wrote:

> Bruce Hagen wrote ...
>>
>> Bud H wrote ...
>>
>>> Operating System:  Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium Edition
>>>
>>> Problem:  A program written for Windows XP when started immediately
>>> minimizes itself to the taskbar and I can't get it off the taskbar.
>>
>> It's actually opening off-screen. Right click on the minimized window tab on the Taskbar and select Move.
>> Now use the arrow keys to get it in the screen. Close all other windows
>> except this one and use the cursor to drag the message to full screen
>> size. File | Exit, and Windows will remember the size when you open it
>> again.
>
> When I right click on the program on the taskbar, "Move" is not one of the
> options to click.  It does mention pin or unpin, and Close as options.

Try it the same way you did it under Windows XP.  Click on the taskbar
button to change focus to that program's window.  Then hit Alt+Spacebar
to open the app window's control menu (even if you don't see it
onscreen).   Then hit M to select the Move item in the control menu.
Use the arrow keys to move the window around.

With app window having focus: Alt+Spacebar, M, arrow keys

Did you install any application that manages the size or location of app
windows?  Have you tried rebooting into Windows safe mode and retesting?
0
VanguardLH
> Bud H wrote:
>
>> Bruce Hagen wrote ...
>>>
>>> Bud H wrote ...

>>> It's actually opening off-screen. Right click on the minimized window
>>> tab on the Taskbar and select Move.
>>> Now use the arrow keys to get it in the screen. Close all other windows
>>> except this one and use the cursor to drag the message to full screen
>>> size. File | Exit, and Windows will remember the size when you open it
>>> again.
>>
>> When I right click on the program on the taskbar, "Move" is not one of
>> the
>> options to click.  It does mention pin or unpin, and Close as options.
>
> Try it the same way you did it under Windows XP.  Click on the taskbar
> button to change focus to that program's window.  Then hit Alt+Spacebar
> to open the app window's control menu (even if you don't see it
> onscreen).   Then hit M to select the Move item in the control menu.
> Use the arrow keys to move the window around.
>
> With app window having focus: Alt+Spacebar, M, arrow keys
>
> Did you install any application that manages the size or location of app
> windows?  Have you tried rebooting into Windows safe mode and retesting?

I did install Ultramon on this computer, although I closed the Ultramon
program and the problem still existed.

0
Bud

Sibling Window KillFocus Issue (MFC)
I have a Dialog based MFC application that emulates a windows based browser with my own widgets and etc. Above the main window I have 4 children windows that are the primary focus of the project. The child windows in question have the capacity of minimizing and maximizing. Each of the 4 child windows act as siblings. Now the problem: I would like a maximized child window to automatically minimize when another child window is focused. I assumed OnKillFocus would accommodate this but it doesn't. More over, I do not have access to OnActivate, as they are children and only produce an O...

Can a custom checkbox be added to a Scroll Window?
Hello all, I've added a custom checkbox field to GP. I have created the field in a separate table with a one to one relationship per the suggestions of various documents. My problem is now this, I cannot get the checkbox to work in a Scroll Window. I have the checkbox related to the PO Line table and can get it (the checkbox) to work on the PO Line Detail screen, but I really would like it to work on the PO Entry screen with the Scroll Window that contains all the PO Lines. I have added the checkbox onto the Scroll Window but it doesn't seem to work or be possible to fill t...

Publisher 2000

Process stealing window focus
Is there a way to prevent a process from stealing window focus? I want my process to run completely silent, no UI interuptions at all, so this includes when it steals the focus from my top window. Not sure exactly what you mean by this? Is the top window in the same application or a different application. Does the "process" do any UI at all? When does it interrupt your main window? Tom "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9430ED69-207F-4266-9467-003F11BC11B7@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to prevent a process from stealing wi...

opening links in outlook

I don't show on windows friends list
I have a friend who says he can not see me online, when I have mine set to online, he can not see me, though he can see others. I am not in his blocked list? He has reinstalled it, with no luck. I can see him when he is online. appreciate any help on the situation, Bruce Is he using the same ID that you are using? I have had that experience where I used a different ID on WLM than elsewhere. -- rext "brucefl" wrote: > I have a friend who says he can not see me online, when I have mine set to > online, he can not see me, though he can see others. I am n...

Problem trying to open old money file

Windows Vista and RMS 2.0
Has anyone upgraded to Vista using RMS 2.0? Any pros/cons on duing this. I'm running it on my laptop without issues. But this is just for demos and research. Have not intalled it in production yet "Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1D4E574-5383-45D8-8E44-F7BEAFDC0424@microsoft.com... > Has anyone upgraded to Vista using RMS 2.0? Any pros/cons on duing this. The Lack of non existant thermal printer drivers, for 1 "Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1D4E574-5383-45D8-8E44-F...

Windows goes to the background
Hi Everyone, I am having a wiered problem. I have a Dialog based application that has a Modeless Child dialog. The child dialog is mostly hidden. I show the child dialog when I am syncing with the server to show progress message, and at the same time I disable the Main dialog with EnableWindow(FALSE), to simulate a modal dialog. Anyway when everything is done and I hide the Child dialog and call EnableWindow(TRUE) on the main dialog. When I do this the main dialog jumps behind all the other applications on the screen. This happens because of EnableWindow(FALSE), if I remove that line eve...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

why is outlook closing when I try to maximise window?
Just started using Microsoft outlook 2000 for emails. Was using web based programmes before. Outlook express wouldn't recognise internet connection, so went to MS Outlook. After a lot of adjustments, finally got it to send and recieve however when it opens, it is in a minimized window. Every time I click the maximize button or try to expand the borders by clicking and dragging, it closes and gives me a message that outlook needs to close. Why is it doing that and how can I get it to open in a maximized window. ...

In place CRM and Windows upgrade
I have a customer that has CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2000 and SQL 2000 Server. The customer wishes to upgrade to CRM 4.0 and Windows 2008, and remain on the same physical server. What is the best approach for this? Here what I am thinking: 1. Backup CRM databases 2. Format and Upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 3. Install SQL 2005 4. Install CRM 3.0 from Existing Database Option 5. Upgrade to CRM 4.0 6. Backup CRM 4.0 databases 7. Upgrade to Windows 2008 Is there any other critical steps I am missing for this? Hi, It sounds like a plan, however I think CRM 4.0 still hav...

Need an open house sign in sheet

My windows Mail
When I hit "send / receive" in windows mail, (it just started today), I get a windows security box that says: logon to pop-server.socal.com "Please verify that both the user name and password are correct for your mail server." There are boxes for username and password. I put them in and hit "ok". I then get an error message: "account: 'pop-server.socal.rr.com',server:'pop-server.ca.rr.com',protocol:pop3,server response:'-ERR invalid username or pass word.'port:110, secure (SSL): no, server error: 0x800ccc90, error number...

CRM4: IIS 7.0 on Win2k8
Hi all, I'm using the following code on entity's OnLoad event to load a JavaScript file: =================================== function LoadFile(url, cache) { var httpRequest = new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP'); httpRequest.open('GET', url, false); if (!cache) httpRequest.setRequestHeader('If-Modified-Since', 'Sat, 1 Jan 2000 00:00:00 GMT'); httpRequest.send(null); return httpRequest.responseText; } LoadFile('/ISV/COMPANY/script.js', false) =================================== I am accessing CRM using Web Client from the ser...

opening links

cannot open excel file from outlook

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

Windows updates won't install
I am using a Windows XP Professional computer with service pack 3. When the update icon (yellow diamond) appeared in my systray I tried to install the following three updates: 1) Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417) 2) Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and >net Framework 2.0 Security Update for Windows 2000. Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB979909) 3) Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168) Although the updates completed, app...