Open .msi files as a Limited User by using RUNAS

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
; Open .msi files as a Limited User by using RUNAS
;
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas\command]
@=hex(2):22,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,
00,6f,00,74,\
  00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,
00,6d,00,\
  73,00,69,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,2e,
00,65,00,78,00,65,00,22,00,20,00,2f,\
  00,69,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,25,00,2a,00,00,00

0
Mint

That's all very well, but it's not magic!  You will still need the correct
password of a valid user profile on that machine, that has admin
privileges.

But by using a "runas" entry from the right-click menu for .msi files, you
can save time by installing them as another user without having to actually
logoff / logon into an admin-level user profile.

==

Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)

"Mint" <chocolatemint77581@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> ; Open .msi files as a Limited User by using RUNAS
> ;
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas\command]
> @=hex(2):22,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,
> 00,6f,00,74,\
>  00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,
> 00,6d,00,\
>  73,00,69,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,2e,
> 00,65,00,78,00,65,00,22,00,20,00,2f,\
>  00,69,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,25,00,2a,00,00,00

0
Tim
8/22/2010 1:40:41 AM
On Aug 21, 8:40=A0pm, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...@o2.co.uk> wrote:
> That's all very well, but it's not magic! =A0You will still need the corr=
ect
> password of a valid user profile on that machine, that has admin
> privileges.
>
> But by using a "runas" entry from the right-click menu for .msi files, yo=
> can save time by installing them as another user without having to actual=
ly
> logoff / logon into an admin-level user profile.
>
> =3D=3D
>
> Cheers, =A0 =A0Tim Meddick, =A0 =A0Peckham, London. =A0 =A0:-)

I would think knowing the admin password is obvious. :-)

Without this fix, .msi files can't be installed as a limited user.
This saves time by not having to log on as an admin.

Take care.

0
Mint
8/22/2010 10:06:36 PM
Any shortcut to an item can be configured to "Run with different
credentials".

Simply create a shortcut to the program or document you desire to run as a
different user, then in the shortcut's "Properties" page (r-click >
Properties) click on the "Shortcut" tab then on the "Advanced" button.
Checkmark the box "Run with different credentials" and click on [ok] [ok]
to close.

Now, whenever you want to run that particular application / file under a
different user, just double-click on the shortcut you have just saved and
you will be presented with a dialog enabling you to choose a username and
password to run it as.

I realise that the "fix" you provided enables you to run *any* .msi file as
a different user without having to make a shortcut to it.  However, a
better "fix" would be the following :

REGEDIT4

;Enables ANY file to be opened as a different user by
;right-clicking on that file while holding the [shift]
;key down, and choosing the "RunAs" menu item.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
"Extended"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

==

On Aug 21, 8:40 pm, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...@o2.co.uk> wrote:
> That's all very well, but it's not magic! You will still need the correct
> password of a valid user profile on that machine, that has admin
> privileges.
>
> But by using a "runas" entry from the right-click menu for .msi files,
> you
> can save time by installing them as another user without having to
> actually
> logoff / logon into an admin-level user profile.
>
> ==
>
> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

I would think knowing the admin password is obvious. :-)

Without this fix, .msi files can't be installed as a limited user.
This saves time by not having to log on as an admin.

Take care.

0
Tim

Publisher 2000

Custom Mailbox Limit Notification
Is there a way to modify and/or create a new notification that Exchange 2000 sends when a mailbox reaches a limit imposed by a policy? Thanks, Sam http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/04/20/117024.aspx William "Sam Reyes" <sreyes@alltel.net> wrote in message news:eAy3zEYTEHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to modify and/or create a new notification that Exchange 2000 > sends when a mailbox reaches a limit imposed by a policy? > > Thanks, > Sam > > http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/04/20/117024.aspx William "S...

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

Using Workflow to update a picklist property.
How can we modify a value of a picklist in the workflow? For example when someone modify a picklist property on the Contact, I want the picklist property on Account with the same options is changed as well. How to do this? Create a new workflow under contact. Check Start when: “Record attributes change” Hit “select” button and chose respective pick list attribute (Changes to the attribute will trigger this workflow) Now add steps to the workflow 1) Check condition - select the contact pick list and pick list value from set properties 2) Add another step "Update record" Select “...

amalgamating archive files
I have several archive files and I'd like to combine them into a single one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Howie ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Deserialization Problems Using XmlWriter vs. StringReader
I'm experiencing issues where XmlSerialier.Deserialize throws an exception when attempting to use a MemoryStream built with an XmlWriter vs. a standalone StringReader. It is attempting to deserialize a complex object. Here is what I have: 0. Environment: Visual Studio 2005, VB.Net. I won't go into the gory details of my complex object, just suffice to say that I need to return XML instead of the object directly from the web service. I'm also not including all of the code around things (try..catches, etc.) 1. I've defined a object built by using the Xsd.exe tool against a ...

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...

Use defined names in VBA?
Hi all Any way to have Excel generate links or dimension variables so that VBA can use the defined names on the spreadsheet (menu: insert > name > define)? Or is it best to just Dim all the same variable names in code to match the defined names? Thanks! Hi try something like dim rng as range set rng=range("your_defined_name") msgbox rng.address -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany JRocket02 wrote: > Hi all > > Any way to have Excel generate links or dimension variables so that > VBA can use the defined names on the spreadsheet (menu: insert > name &...