New installation on old pc.

I have a non working version of Windows 98SE on C: and a reinstalled
version of XP on D:. What I would like to do is format C: install
XP and get it functioning correctly then format D: to get rid of the
reinstalled messed up version of XP.  If I do this, will I lose my
access to the C: Windows XP? Doing it the way I'd like will give me
a chance to import things from D: before I wipe it out. If I will no
longer be able to boot to C: after I wipe out D:, I might as well
wipe out both C: and D: at the same time.
0
Dennis

"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message

> I have a non working version of Windows 98SE on C: and a reinstalled
> version of XP on D:. What I would like to do is format C: install
> XP and get it functioning correctly then format D: to get rid of the
> reinstalled messed up version of XP.  If I do this, will I lose my
> access to the C: Windows XP?

Probably yes -- if C:\ currently holds files BOOT.INI,  NTLDR
and NTDETECT.COM which WinXP requires to load
(wherever it has been installed.)   But full installation of WinXP
ought to write those files afresh to C:\

In any doubt, you should back up beforehand everything you
are uwilling to lose.   This is where USB external drives are
specially useful, since now large and cheap.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
12/14/2009 5:14:31 PM
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:45:58 -0500, Dennis <den942@bright.net> wrote:

>I have a non working version of Windows 98SE on C: and a reinstalled
>version of XP on D:. What I would like to do is format C: install
>XP and get it functioning correctly then format D: to get rid of the
>reinstalled messed up version of XP.  If I do this, will I lose my
>access to the C: Windows XP? Doing it the way I'd like will give me
>a chance to import things from D: before I wipe it out. If I will no
>longer be able to boot to C: after I wipe out D:, I might as well
>wipe out both C: and D: at the same time.

No.
0
Andy
12/15/2009 12:28:28 AM
So which is it yes or no?

Dennis wrote:
> I have a non working version of Windows 98SE on C: and a reinstalled
> version of XP on D:. What I would like to do is format C: install
> XP and get it functioning correctly then format D: to get rid of the
> reinstalled messed up version of XP.  If I do this, will I lose my
> access to the C: Windows XP? Doing it the way I'd like will give me
> a chance to import things from D: before I wipe it out. If I will no
> longer be able to boot to C: after I wipe out D:, I might as well
> wipe out both C: and D: at the same time.
0
Dennis

Importing of tables and other database elements into a new databas
I have posted a query on the subject but i don't remember the exact date. How to find our my query and know whether it is answered or not. On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:57:01 -0700, Bobharis <Bobharis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I typically go to groups.google.com and run a query there. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I have posted a query on the subject but i don't remember the exact date. >How to find our my query and know whether it is answered or not. How depends on what ... what newsreader are you using? Have you tried <Find>? -- Regar...

Problems with new outlook 2007
hello! i have install Office 2007 beta 2 suite, but i have many troubles with outlook. sometimes when do the action "send and receive" program every 10 minutes, load the actions in the windows and stay in "Processing" and still there.. later, I close the outlook, but it still open in the Window Task Manager. I use the ouylook every day in my work and house. This new version looks very well and the usability it perfect, but this problem make me think to uninstall the beta and go again with my 2003. Please send me feedback Juan Manuel from Argentina pd: excuse me but...

Cannot retrieve old Outlook messages
I ran the Detect and Repair feature of Outlook 2002 and now cannot find my old messages. I've scanned my h/d for .pst files that may include them, but cannot find them. ...

CRM Install Error 2755
We are trying to install Microsoft CRM, and we are constantly getting the same errors no matter what we do. The errors are as follows: Event Type: Error Event Source: MsiInstaller Event Category: None Event ID: 1013 Date: 07/09/2003 Time: 17:39:28 User: N/A Computer: CRM-LAPTOP Description: ===================================================== Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION Module: C:\WINNT\System32\msi.dll Function: 0x4c6463 ===================================================== Registers: EAX:00000000 EBX:00076A24 ECX:004348D0 EDX:0055E380 ESI:01951094 EDI:0054F0B8 CS:EIP...

version 98 & 2000 new version wont print 98 files?
I have been a long time user of Publisher. It's my favorite program.I do alot of flyers and articles for my Methodist church, so purchased a newer version of Publisher 2000 for church office. My idea was to copy some of my created files so the secretary could just click and update the date, prices, etc for the annual events. I also wanted to be able to create articles for the monthly newletter, email them so they could just be popped into the newsletter publisher template I now have them using. I copied some files took them and loaded on chuch PC. They print on the laser printer ...

Error when Installing CRM 3.0
Installing on a 2003 SBS server with 2005 SQL. I get the following error even when the Enviromental Check utility runs without any problems: The specified Report Server URL "" Syntax is Not Valid. Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined. Any help would be appreciated ...

Installing Publisher as an add-in?
I bought MO XP Small Business, and installed it. Later I discovered I needed Access, so I bought MO XP Pro. I uninstalled Small Business and Installed XP Pro. I need Publisher also, which is a part of Small Business. Is there anyway I can install just the publisher program to work with the XP Pro? My system is Windows ME. Thanks Dee If I remember right Publisher was the second disk in the Small Business suite. You can install it as a standalone. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Dee" <Dee@di...

Outlook 2003 not checking for new mail at startup
I have followed QID312336 but still not working. Does anyone have another suggestion? Win XP Home, Compaq R3120US laptop, Office 2003 Professional. Thanks! How could we? You've provided no information. At the very least you should post your mail account type, connection type, automatic polling settings, and exactly what isn't working, including the difference between automatic and manual polling behavior. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mike" <mhoaglan@comcast.net> wrote in message news:18ead01c44c0c$6e231d10$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have followed QID312336 but...

Downloading only new emails from POP3 Server
Hi, I have the problem that I have access to a POP3 server on which I have stored about 10000 e-mails. Now I do not want a new installation of Outlook to download all of them, but only, say, the last 100 messages or the messages of the last week. It is still supposed to leave a copy of the messages on the server. How does Outlook (2003) determine which messages to get? And how can I change that? Thanks in advance and best regards Felix Arends Outlook will either download all or none. It is not configurable. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the dis...

Transfer Address to New Computer
How can I transfer e-mail addresses from my old computer to my new computer? I was using Outlook Express 5 and Windows 98 on the old machine and have Outlook 2000 and Windows XP on the new machine. All the files from the old machine are copied into the new machine, but I cannot find where to copy the *.pst files (if that's what I'm suppose to be doing) in the new Windows XP system. Please don't tell me I have to retype all that information! If you weren't using Outlook before, you have no files you can import into Outlook now. You'd have to import into Outlook E...

How to uninstall metamail for new outlook?
Computer detects newly installed outlook, and asks to re install metamail for new outlook. Any instructions on how to reinstall metamail? Ummm, ask metamail??? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Mike asked: | Computer detects newly installed outlook, and asks to re install | metamail for new | outlook. Any instructions on how to reinstall metamail? ...

Getting Excel on new computer to show dates like on old
I recently bought new computer. Had a load of excel files which I transferred over. The only problem now is where before the dates showed in the format "dd/mm/yy" they now show up as "dd/mm/yyyy" even though it's the same file. This is a major problem as the new date doesn;t fit and gets displayed as "######" since the date colum needs to be short to fit all data on the printed page. I thought that things like this get saved in the file. Does anyone know of a way to get dates to display dd/mm/yy without having to change all the dates in each individual...

Transferring data to new workbook.
Hi All, I want to transferring a data automatically by using vba code.But need soeone to point me the right direction.What I want to do is something simple. I want the code to run if it meet some condition. If a cell in column F:F have value >1 and not empty (""), I want the code to collect the entire data on every cell on the left to be copied and paste into a new workbook. And how to handle if there are some cell that have value >1.How to copy the recordset and paste it into a new workbook.And maybe I also need a message box to tell the user that there is no data will be co...

New fields won't save data ??
Hi I have an upgraded installation to 4.0 where new fields created on accounts won't save data. When I change data in any new field and hit save it blanks out the field. When I type somehting in the old fields on the form these fields save fine. What could this be ? Jack It sounds like a javascript issue with the form. I would check to see if any javascript is running against the form (Onload, Onchange, etc.) Regards "CRM consultant" wrote: > Hi > > I have an upgraded installation to 4.0 where new fields created on accounts > won't save data. When I...

Microsoft Word Starts Only in Safe Mode after Adobe Acrobat Instal
Microsoft Word will only start in Safe Mode ever since Adobe Acrobat was installed. It seems related to Adobe's automatic installation of toolbar objects in both Outlook and Word. Word reports that there were problems starting Word and tries to recover documents. It then wants to send an error message to Microsoft and then refuses to open unless the Safe mode is chosen. Anybody have this problem before? Any ideas on what the resolution is? I have suggestions on how to remove the annoying Adobe toolbar objects, but no suggestions on how to get Word to open in regular...

Microsoft Query could not be started because it isn't installed
I have Excel 2000 SP3 & Windows XP Home. When I go to Data | Get External Data | Run Saved Query I can import data from an Access database into an Excel worksheet. When I go to Data | Get External Data | New Database Query after a delay a message appears to tell me that MS Query is not installed. This is the message: "Microsoft Excel "Microsoft Query could not be started because it isn't installed. You can install Query by running the installation program you "used to install Office or Excel. The Query option is in the Office Tools category. "OK" Ho...

New to Excel
I am trying to learn how to add, substract, multiply, and divide columns in an Excel spreadsheet. I know how to add the contents of a column down that column but I cannot understand the instructions of how to add columns across the spreadsheet. I want to be able to add columns to get a result (P+Q=R...ie OBP+SLG=OPS) as well as multiply, divide and substract. Anyone offering assistance will be greatly appreciated. Hi Blake To add columns, you still need a cell reference, not just a column. eg, In C1 put =A1+B1 to multiply =A1*B1 To Subtract =A1-B1 To Divide ...

Saving files to originating PC using Citrix
Some of my remote users need to save tab delimited files creating using Great Plains printing function to their local computers. What are the keys to doing this? ...

eConnect 9 install
The documentation states that there will be a Control available after installing eConnect. The control is used to manage the message queues. I did a successful installation of eConnect, but the eConnectQueueControl.ocx is missing. Anybody have any ideas? ...

on last enter start new blank form
is there a way to have a new blank form start after entering last input of information? Thanks in advance for the help! If you set the form's property to add new records, and add a <Save> command button, you should get "a new blank form". If you're asking how to have it happen without the <Save> button, how will Access "know" when you're finished entering data? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a produ...

Money 2003 password stopped working after pc upgrade
hi, since upgrading my pc to xp from win2k (clean install) and reinstalling ms money 2003, i cant get into my money file. the file opens, but asks for a password. when i type in my password (which i have been doing for a couple of years without any trouble) - the program informs me that my password is invalid. can anyone shed any light onto this? i really need to get into money for my tax returns. thanks. i forgot to add that i use ultrasoft money for palm OS and was wondering whether this might have anything to do with it? Have a look at http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html#Q152 -- Regard...

Can't create a new user with a mail box automatically with Active Dir #2
I have 2003 server with Active Directory and Exchange installed. When i click Create -> "User" and reach the dialog to create an Exchange mail box, the "Mailbox Store" drop down list is empty. Which has the effect that the "Next" button is disabled and I can't create a mailbox attached to that account. Where can I find that setting or what should I do? Thanks in advance /Mac Check and make sure the account you are using to create the new users has at least Exchange View-Only administrator in Exchange System Manager. Right-click on either ...

Windows Install No HDD
I am attempting to install windows server 2008 standard X64, I get a message that no drives were found during installation, therefore nowhere to install windows. I have a single 73 GB SCSI hard drive, I have downloaded several controller drivers hoping the installation process would recognize my hard drive, no luck. Please help?? Hello banker123, I assume this posting belongs to the "WIndows Server and SCSI HDD" in microsoft.public.windows.server.setup, so please stick to the other posting as there are already answers existing. Please do not multipost, use crosspostin...

CRM 3.0 installation issue with sql 2005
HI, any help would be great please. Single instance of SQL 2005 upgraded from SQL2000 sp3. When trying to install CRM 3.0, I get to the end of the installation check and receive: ""The minimum required version is SQL Server 2000 SP4 (8.0.2026)."" Now, I am runnig SQL 2005, all services are running, event viewer is clear of SQL or CRM errors. I am at a loss as to why the CRM installation does not see my SQL 2005 installation and indeed reporting that I need SQL 2000 SP4 at least!? Any ideas as to what may be causing this please?! Many thanks ...

Anyone install the new BB Express version on SBS 2008?
Well, I'm in a pickle... I have a client with a single server, no alternate path, and they want BES installed - the new BB Express states it's compatible with 2008 x64, but we all know that it doesn't always mean SBS.... Anyone actually installed it directly on their SBS 08 production server and lived to tell about it? -- You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. Trust yourself. spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address) I haven'...