Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)

Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM and
HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!

Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D

Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Adela

Try the Computer Shopper forums: http://forums.computershopper.com/index.php
there is plenty of info on buying new or building your own.

"Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>
> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
> and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT
> to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade
> I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>
> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>
> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Jerry
9/4/2010 3:28:38 AM
Adela wrote:
> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>
> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM and
> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>
> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>
> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

Do you have a large budget or a small one ?

Are you expecting the machine to last for another 10-1/2 years ?

Are you reusing anything from the old one ? (Like the monitor perhaps.)

    Paul

0
Paul
9/4/2010 3:52:40 AM
On 9/3/2010 11:02 PM, Adela wrote:
> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>
> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM and
> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>
> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>
> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

Depends, do you want to keep using Windows XP, or are you willing to go
towards Windows 7?

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
9/4/2010 4:17:36 AM
It's getting closer to time for me to do upgrade also. Been trying to figure
out what though. For me, the confusion is all in the cpu chips, there seems
to be so many selections were-as last purcashe it was simple, e.g. 3.2Gz
beats 2.8Gz. About the only thing I've figured out so far is i3 is less than
i5 is less than i7 but how they match up against AMD (or whatever) requires
loads of research. The various flyers drive me nuts as every 2nd ad for a
computer (desktop or laptop) sports a different cpu. ARGH!!!!

"Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>
> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
> and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT
> to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade
> I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>
> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>
> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
pjp
9/4/2010 6:36:02 AM
Consider a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series with a AMD Athlon(TM) X4
635 quad-core processor [2.9GHz and 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM.  Also, order
the optional 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

Ref:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&series_name=HPE300z_series&a1=Category&v1=High
performance

On 9/3/2010 10:02 PM, Adela wrote:
> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>
> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM and
> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>
> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>
> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Leroy
9/4/2010 7:10:27 AM
pjp wrote:
> It's getting closer to time for me to do upgrade also. Been trying to figure
> out what though. For me, the confusion is all in the cpu chips, there seems
> to be so many selections were-as last purcashe it was simple, e.g. 3.2Gz
> beats 2.8Gz. About the only thing I've figured out so far is i3 is less than
> i5 is less than i7 but how they match up against AMD (or whatever) requires
> loads of research. The various flyers drive me nuts as every 2nd ad for a
> computer (desktop or laptop) sports a different cpu. ARGH!!!!

Intel has shockingly bad taste in assembling processors for marketing purposes.
The marketing department demands "tiers" for products. Their efforts recently,
are more artificial than they normally are. I agree with the statement about
clock rate, as at least *that* was pretty easy to understand. To a large
extent, the following analysis is irrelevant (if you were blindfolded, knowing
the clock rate would probably be enough knowledge), but doing this
kind of analysis is fun for me :-)

*******

If you look at this Core i3 (probably mobile, as this is a laptop article),
the processor has two silicon die in it. The article says the processor is 32nm
geometry, while the second chip is a "GPU plus memory controller" and is done
in 45nm geometry silicon. What that means, is when the processor wants to access
memory, it has to go through a chip to chip interface. That makes Intel chips
with integrated GPU, similar to LGA775 and Core2 systems. The GPU silicon die
is then equivalent to an old Northbridge, like a G45 perhaps.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Arrandale-Core-i5-and-Core-i3-Mobile-Unveiled/?page=4

     Core2 ------ Northbridge ---------- dual_channel_memory

     Core i3 --- (Internal GPU chip) --- dual_channel_memory

Processors without integrated GPU, have no choice but to have the memory controller
right on the processor. Some of the higher end processors are this way. All the
current AMD products work that way (AMD isn't quite as stupid).

     Core --------------- rest of system

    Dual_channel_memory

Intel chose to split the designs with integrated GPU into two pieces,
for reasons such as yield. They can test both parts, and then put them
into an MCM (multi-chip-module) package.

You can use ark.intel.com to sort the processors out, and see which ones
have built-in graphics. That will help sort out, which of them are
split like the one in the picture.

These Core i3 processors, all have integrated GPU. An integrated GPU helps
assemble low end computers, as cheaply as possible, as you don't have
to buy a video card. It means the motherboard ends up with one or
more video connectors, in the I/O plate area. If you use a processor
without a GPU inside it, then the video connectors in the I/O plate
area won't work. (Dell or HP wouldn't do that - but a home builder might.)

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=43129

The ones at the top of the Core i5 list, don't have an integrated GPU, so they
use one chip, and the memory controller should be right on the processor. The
second link here, is supposed to be a picture of a Core i5-750. The "PCI-E"
on the right hand side, is how the video card connects to the PCI Express x16 slot -
the processor has the interface right on the silicon die. This is a decent
way to do things, yet eliminates one chip on the motherboard (the Northbridge).

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=42912

http://img.hardcoreware.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lynnfield-die-layout-560x342.jpg

If we look at the Core i7 list, the ones at the top are "true i7".
They have triple channel memory, versus the dual channel of the i3 or i5.
The Core i7-920 is the favorite of overclockers, because you can
buy a "cheap" processor, and get it running at the clock speed of
one of the faster ones. The LGA1366 socket is used with the true ones.
The extra pins help support the third channel of memory interface.
It also means, you need a different motherboard, depending on whether
the processor is LGA1156 or LGA1366 socket.

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=28037

In this link, is a silicon die shot. In this case, instead of the
PCI Express interface being on the die, there is something called QPI,
and QPI is the "FSB" or "Front Side Bus". Such LGA1366 systems, need
a Northbridge, and the Northbridge has the PCI Express interfaces on it.
The Northbridge typically used, has at least two full video card interfaces,
for things like Crossfire video setups. The memory controller is right
on the processor, for a low latency interconnect to memory. So this
is the "Cadillac" at Intel.

http://www.tomshw.it/guides/hardware/cpu/20081103/images/Core-i7-test,8-2-164882-3.jpg

                         QPI                     DMI                  SATA
    Core i7 (true) --------------- Northbridge -------- Southbridge -------- (disks)
      |                                 |
    triple_channel_memory       PCI Express to video

The lower items in the Core i7 listing, don't have the word QPI next to them.
It means those Core i7 come in LGA1156 packages, and have the PCI Express
interface on the side of the die, instead of QPI and LGA1366 package. So
they're like some of the better Core i5 processors (the ones without a GPU
chip). They'd look something like this (and I wish Intel would draw these
stupid pictures for me, so I don't have to make them up).

    PCI Express to video
      |                             DMI ?                             SATA
    Core i7 (false) ----------------------------------- Southbridge -------- (disks)

   dual_channel_memory

If we compare a Core i5-750 (no GPU, 2.66GHz, 4C, 4T) versus a
Core i7-870S (no GPU, 2.66GHz, 4C, 8T), the difference between them
is the Core i7 one has Hyperthreading, which is why it has 8 threads
instead of 4 threads (8T versus 4T). (The S on the end, means it is a
power saving version, so we can't compare prices directly. I wanted
to show there were two processors ostensibly identical in performance,
yet with different family names. Hyperthreading isn't always a big win.)

If I price compare, the Core i5-750 2.66GHz is $196. The Core i7-860 2.8GHz is $284.
And the puny difference in clock speed doesn't justify the higher price.

There is one other processor, of interest only because it has six cores,
instead of two or four. The price means this is only affordable to
enthusiasts. It's a true Core i7, with QPI. The second link shows
the extravagant use of silicon.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47932&processor=i7-980X&spec-codes=SLBUZ

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/03/intel-core-i7-980x-extreme-edition-review/gulftowndie.jpg

*******

In terms of future proofing, the number of cores you can buy (Intel or AMD),
range through 1,2,3,4,6 right now. Dual core makes sense, if you're primarily
a web surfer, and don't do multimedia (video editing, Photoshop). Buying
a quad core, leaves room for future performance improvement, as (presumably)
software developers make better usage of multiple cores. The hex core right
now, is almost suited to server usage, as it is hard to envisage a desktop
making cost effective use of it. I'm not certain how many applications
can load six cores equally and to 100% (Cinebench can, but then, it's pointless).
Buying a dual is good, if you value saving electricity over everything else.
Buying a quad is good, if you want the machine to last a few years. (At least,
as long as the clock rate choice isn't too low. There are a few quads that
are on the slow side, and you might not be happy with them five years from now.)

I've left AMD out of the picture, mainly because there is less to explain. They
all look more or less like this.

                HyperTransport                 HyperTransport                SATA
    AMD_Core ------------------- Northbridge ------------------ Southbridge ------ (Disks)
       |                            |
    Dual_Channel_Memory        PCI Express to video

You can use tomshardware.com/charts , to do processor benchmark comparisons.
Or, I like Xbitlabs.com and some of their comparison articles, to get a better
feeling for some of them.

*******

As for Adela, I had a quick look around, and I can't say I'm too impressed
with Dell or HP. (What is with all the crappy video cards offered for the
systems ? ) I liked some of the options offered by Gateway FX series.
But so far, this web page, shows the level of choice I'd be looking for
as a shopper. You can get almost anything you want here, including
an SSD for your boot drive. I'm not saying you should buy a computer
here, merely that I'm impressed with the level of choices offered.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Rattler/

With the smaller companies, it helps to look at their rating. The Better
Business Bureau in their home town, may also have data on them, such
as unresolved complaints.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CyberPower

On my first PC, I chose to let a local company build my computer,
and they charged $100 above retail cost of the parts. For that
price, I got the OS installed, and the company did a good job.
You don't have to go Dell or HP, if you have a good builder
in town. Unfortunately, that company is bankrupt now, and
I've been building all my own computers, since having the first
one built for me (I've got more time now to do it).

    Paul

> "Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>> and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT
>> to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade
>> I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Paul
9/4/2010 8:26:48 AM
Leroy wrote:
> Consider a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series with a AMD Athlon(TM) X4
> 635 quad-core processor [2.9GHz and 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM.  Also, order
> the optional 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
>
> Ref:
> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&series_name=HPE300z_series&a1=Category&v1=High
> performance

The HD 5450 isn't much of a card for 3D gaming. It's down near the bottom.
In fact, I notice my old Radeon 9800 Pro AGP card from six years ago,
is marginally faster :-)

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?cpu=Radeon+HD+5450

Those cards cost around $50 or a bit more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131339

The HD 5450 is easy on electricity load, so it does have that advantage.
It draws 9.2 watts flat out, which is a lot better than my old 9800 Pro video card.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/radeon-hd5670-hd5570-hd5450/rdw_cdr_power.png

It would be a fine choice, for an office PC, for web surfing or email,
but a 3D gamer would hate it. Any game title needing graphics muscle,
would be a slide show.

    Paul

> On 9/3/2010 10:02 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like
>> RAM and
>> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
>> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
>> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Paul
9/4/2010 8:37:39 AM
Why????????
"Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Consider a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series with a AMD Athlon(TM) X4 635
> quad-core processor [2.9GHz and 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM.  Also, order the
> optional 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
>
> Ref:
> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&series_name=HPE300z_series&a1=Category&v1=High
> performance
>
> On 9/3/2010 10:02 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>> and
>> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
>> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
>> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Unknown
9/4/2010 3:07:11 PM
talk about shooting sparrows with a cannon . . .

Paul wrote:
>> Leroy wrote:
>>> Consider a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series with a AMD Athlon(TM)
>>> X4 635 quad-core processor [2.9GHz and 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM.
>>> Also, order the optional 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA
>>> adapter]
>>>
>>> Ref:
>>> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&series_name=HPE300z_series&a1=Category&v1=High
>>> performance
>>
>> The HD 5450 isn't much of a card for 3D gaming. It's down near the
>> bottom.
>> In fact, I notice my old Radeon 9800 Pro AGP card from six years ago,
>> is marginally faster :-)
>>
>> http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?cpu=Radeon+HD+5450
>>
>> Those cards cost around $50 or a bit more.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131339
>>
>> The HD 5450 is easy on electricity load, so it does have that
>> advantage.
>> It draws 9.2 watts flat out, which is a lot better than my old 9800
>> Pro video card.
>>
>> http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/radeon-hd5670-hd5570-hd5450/rdw_cdr_power.png
>>
>> It would be a fine choice, for an office PC, for web surfing or
>> email,
>> but a 3D gamer would hate it. Any game title needing graphics muscle,
>> would be a slide show.
>>
>>    Paul

0
Laughingstar
9/4/2010 3:43:41 PM
Thanks so much Jerry, I'm going to try this forum!    Adela

"Jerry" <ChiefZekeNoSpam@MSN.com> wrote in message
> Try the Computer Shopper forums:
> http://forums.computershopper.com/index.php there is plenty of info on
> buying new or building your own.
>
> "Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>> and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT
>> to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a
>> decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Adela
9/4/2010 6:10:28 PM
Thank you so much Paul.  Good  questions:

>Do you have a large budget or a small one ?
*From medium to small*

>Are you expecting the machine to last for another 10-1/2 years ?
*LOL!  yes as a matter of fact!*

>Are you reusing anything from the old one ? (Like the monitor perhaps.)
*Not sure.  My (heavy) monitor is still perfect but I'd love the flat panel
to save space (and muscle when it needs to be moved).  I doubt that any
other components would serve except a 257MB I bought a month or so ago*

Adela

> Adela wrote:
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>> and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT
>> to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a
>> decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>
> Do you have a large budget or a small one ?
>
> Are you expecting the machine to last for another 10-1/2 years ?
>
> Are you reusing anything from the old one ? (Like the monitor perhaps.)
>
>    Paul

0
Adela
9/4/2010 6:16:15 PM
Thanks very much Yousuf, but I learned that ALL new computers come with
Windows 7 withh very few exceptions...   :o)             Adela

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 9/3/2010 11:02 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>> and
>> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
>> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
>> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>
> Depends, do you want to keep using Windows XP, or are you willing to go
> towards Windows 7?
>
> Yousuf Khan

0
Adela
9/4/2010 6:19:34 PM
My sentiments exactly.  It's all such a jungle of specs without the proper
explanations!  One needs to take a university course to know how to buy a
computer these days!!!  <:-(((((  Adela

"pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at@someplace.somewhere> wrote in message
> It's getting closer to time for me to do upgrade also. Been trying to
> figure out what though. For me, the confusion is all in the cpu chips,
> there seems to be so many selections were-as last purcashe it was simple,
> e.g. 3.2Gz beats 2.8Gz. About the only thing I've figured out so far is i3
> is less than i5 is less than i7 but how they match up against AMD (or
> whatever) requires loads of research. The various flyers drive me nuts as
> every 2nd ad for a computer (desktop or laptop) sports a different cpu.
> ARGH!!!!
>
> "Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>> and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT
>> to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a
>> decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Adela
9/4/2010 6:22:33 PM
Oh dear me WHAT is "clock rate" and for what purpose?   Thanks.       Adela

> [...]
> I've been building all my own computers, since having the first
> one built for me (I've got more time now to do it).
>
>    Paul
>

>> "Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>>
>>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>>> and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful
>>> NOT to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a
>>> decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>>
>>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

9/4/2010 6:24:45 PM
Thanks again Paul....you know what?  I dont do games or movies or whatever
takes THAT much power.    Only use it for plenty internet surfing (finding
out things) and emails.  Now the emails I receive many with heavy videos,
etc. and I send them out to my list.  Is this considered to need a lot more
power?  If so I'll have to get it.  Maybe this is why my elderly computer is
refusing to speed up its pace???   lol!          Adela

> Leroy wrote:
>> Consider a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series with a AMD Athlon(TM) X4 635
>> quad-core processor [2.9GHz and 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM.  Also, order the
>> optional 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
>>
>> Ref:
>> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&series_name=HPE300z_series&a1=Category&v1=High
>> performance
>
> The HD 5450 isn't much of a card for 3D gaming. It's down near the bottom.
> In fact, I notice my old Radeon 9800 Pro AGP card from six years ago,
> is marginally faster :-)
>
> http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?cpu=Radeon+HD+5450
>
> Those cards cost around $50 or a bit more.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131339
>
> The HD 5450 is easy on electricity load, so it does have that advantage.
> It draws 9.2 watts flat out, which is a lot better than my old 9800 Pro
> video card.
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/radeon-hd5670-hd5570-hd5450/rdw_cdr_power.png
>
> It would be a fine choice, for an office PC, for web surfing or email,
> but a 3D gamer would hate it. Any game title needing graphics muscle,
> would be a slide show.
>
>    Paul
>

>> On 9/3/2010 10:02 PM, Adela wrote:
>>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>>
>>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>>> and
>>> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
>>> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade
>>> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>>
>>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Adela
9/4/2010 6:30:35 PM
Hi Laughingstar!  Now your proverb is funny except it hurts shooting an
animal even in a virgual hunt....  :o)   Do you think then that the HP
Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series is too much for me?          Adela

"~*Laughingstar*~" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
> talk about shooting sparrows with a cannon . . .
>

> Paul wrote:

>>> The HD 5450 isn't much of a card for 3D gaming. It's down near the
>>> bottom.
>>> In fact, I notice my old Radeon 9800 Pro AGP card from six years ago,
>>> is marginally faster :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?cpu=Radeon+HD+5450
>>>
>>> Those cards cost around $50 or a bit more.
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131339
>>>
>>> The HD 5450 is easy on electricity load, so it does have that
>>> advantage.
>>> It draws 9.2 watts flat out, which is a lot better than my old 9800
>>> Pro video card.
>>>
>>> http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/radeon-hd5670-hd5570-hd5450/rdw_cdr_power.png
>>>
>>> It would be a fine choice, for an office PC, for web surfing or
>>> email,
>>> but a 3D gamer would hate it. Any game title needing graphics muscle,
>>> would be a slide show.
>>>
>>>    Paul

0
Adela
9/4/2010 6:33:53 PM
Hi Unknown and thanks but....you think the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series
is no good???  Now I ask YOU:  why???   :o)         Adela

"Unknown" <unknown@unknown.kom> wrote in message
> Why????????
> "Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Consider a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series with a AMD Athlon(TM) X4 635
>> quad-core processor [2.9GHz and 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM.  Also, order the
>> optional 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
>>
>> Ref:
>> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&series_name=HPE300z_series&a1=Category&v1=High
>> performance
>>
>> On 9/3/2010 10:02 PM, Adela wrote:
>>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>>
>>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>>> and
>>> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
>>> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade
>>> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>>
>>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Adela
9/4/2010 6:35:13 PM
Adela wrote:
> Thank you so much Paul.  Good  questions:
>
>> Do you have a large budget or a small one ?
> *From medium to small*
>
>> Are you expecting the machine to last for another 10-1/2 years ?
> *LOL!  yes as a matter of fact!*
>
>> Are you reusing anything from the old one ? (Like the monitor perhaps.)
> *Not sure.  My (heavy) monitor is still perfect but I'd love the flat panel
> to save space (and muscle when it needs to be moved).  I doubt that any
> other components would serve except a 257MB I bought a month or so ago*
>
> Adela

If you don't play a lot of demanding 3D games, then something
from this page might work. The quad core would help you, if you
wanted to do video editing. And the extra computing cores, may
help the machine when it is much older, and you've installed
a brand new (sluggish) OS.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance

It really depends a lot on what you typically do with the machine,
as to whether the extra horsepower is worth it.

I had more trouble, finding pre-built machines that offered good
3D graphics cards for gaming. If you don't need fancy graphics,
you have a lot more choices in computers to buy.

I'm using a Core2 Dual Core at 3GHz for my desktop here, but
I don't think this will be fast enough ten years from now. Since
I don't regularly edit video (only prepared a couple DVDs as
an experiment), I decided not to get quad cores. Doing video,
I'd have to sit around for two hours, waiting for the job to
finish and see how it turned out. Some people will pay a lot
of money, to speed that process up.

    Paul
0
Paul
9/4/2010 6:44:22 PM
Adela wrote:
> Oh dear me WHAT is "clock rate" and for what purpose?   Thanks.       Adela

The "clock" is an electrical signal, used to pace the operation
of the processor. What the processor is doing, has limits as
to what frequency it can be done at (without corrupting the
computed result). The usage of a clock signal, is intended to
operate the processor at a safe value of frequency, below
its absolute maximum value.

In this diagram, I'm executing four instructions, and using
a clock to pace the hardware activity.

                 Load A      Load B      ADD A+B     Store
                                                    results
              <----------><----------><----------><---------->
               _____       _____       _____       _____       _____
   clock   ___|     |_____|     |_____|     |_____|     |_____|     |_____

The faster that square wave goes, the more instructions can be
retired per second. So clock speed is a relatively important factor.
But there is an equation that includes the other important factors.

Computing performance is proportional to:

     clock_rate * number_of_cores * instructions_retired_per_cycle
                                    (A.K.A IPC)

If you buy a processor with six cores, running at 3.2GHz, then
6*3.2 = 19.2 performance units. If you had a dual core operating
at 3GHz, it would give you 2*3.0 = 6.0 performance units. You could
say, the hex core processor is about three times faster, but that
would only be a true statement, if you were doing something like
video editing. Many other, older computer programs, would be no
faster on a hex core, than a dual core, because the program only
uses the services of just one core. "Multi-threaded" programs
make better usage of processors with more cores, but good
multi-threaded programs are hard to find. The comparison of
"19.2" to "6.0" is only fair, when using multi-threaded programs.
For a lot of ordinary programs, you should compare 3.2GHz to 3.0GHz,
and then there is little difference between them.

And that is why, much of the future proofing of your computer
purchase, depends on computer scientists improving the "multi-threaded"
nature of all the computer programs. It wasn't that long ago, for
example, that Microsoft Excel got multi-threading, and even that
isn't perfect. Microsoft doesn't say all possible operations are
speeded up. Only selected operations can be multi-threaded safely.
Excel has too many custom features and add-ons, to make it
possible to support multi-threading for everything. If I wanted
multi-threaded operation of Excel, I'd have to buy a new
copy of the program to get it. My older copy of Excel doesn't
have that feature.

This is one of the reasons I'm relatively comfortable buying
only a 3GHz processor with 2 cores. The only thing I miss, is
the extra speed I could have had while video editing. For most
other work I do on the computer, the dual cores are good enough.

    Paul
0
Paul
9/4/2010 7:06:13 PM
04 Sep 2010,"Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> in

>  I dont do games or movies or whatever
> takes THAT much power.    Only use it for plenty internet surfing
> (finding out things) and emails.  Now the emails I receive many
> with heavy videos, etc. and I send them out to my list.  Is this
> considered to need a lot more power?  If so I'll have to get it.
> Maybe this is why my elderly computer is refusing to speed up its
> pace???

try reinstalling xp (have sp3 and your  defense apps predownloaded)
10.5 year old 400mhz xp pc *might* be a little slow (espec if celeron), even with
512+ mb ram(all that xp needs). 8 year old 1+ghz p3 should be good. the point is
that you don't need much to run xp, but ms drops xp support 2014.

if you expec to upgrade windows 8 years from now (i'm guessing that's when win7
support "dies"), then the new pc should support guesstimate 8 gb ram.

look at the tomshardware benchmarks. the great thing abut those, is that the cpus
are tested in the rest of the pc that's appropriate (built) for each cpu.

in your case, i think you watch vids often, so compaare vid performance to prices
culled from wherever.

someone here already mentioned thst vid editing needs better pc, but if yu rarely
do such demandin tasks, it's probably not worth paying for best pc.

i've read mostly good about dell refurb.
check fatwallet, slickdeals.

spend les on the pc. use the money for external drive for backups.

(1 hand typing on **y keyboard>>typos)
0
8os
9/4/2010 8:00:12 PM
Leroy said to consider the HP Pavilion Elite. I am asking why.
My personal choice is Intel processors. (personal experience)
> Hi Unknown and thanks but....you think the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z
> series is no good???  Now I ask YOU:  why???   :o)         Adela
>

> "Unknown" <unknown@unknown.kom> wrote in message
>> Why????????
>> "Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Consider a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series with a AMD Athlon(TM) X4
>>> 635 quad-core processor [2.9GHz and 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM.  Also, order
>>> the optional 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
>>>
>>> Ref:
>>> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&series_name=HPE300z_series&a1=Category&v1=High
>>> performance

0
Unknown
9/4/2010 8:49:20 PM
Oh thank you so very much for your generosity in explaining so thoroughly
the importance of a clock rate!   So, when they describe a computer as "duaL
core" this is what would be okay for someone like me?   I was told that I
should get the "cuad core" and so I was trying to get it with this 4-core
but they were higher priced.  You say dual core is fine then?  This will
simplify this part of my search!  Thank you again!!!      :o)       Adela

P.S.  On a 2nd thought...did I understand correctly that my understanding,
above, applies to your last paragraph...?  Or maybe when vendors say "dual
core" is different from what you explained?   (So sorry for being such a
dummy!)

> [...]
> purchase, depends on computer scientists improving the "multi-threaded"
> nature of all the computer programs. It wasn't that long ago, for
> example, that Microsoft Excel got multi-threading, and even that
> isn't perfect. Microsoft doesn't say all possible operations are
> speeded up. Only selected operations can be multi-threaded safely.
> Excel has too many custom features and add-ons, to make it
> possible to support multi-threading for everything. If I wanted
> multi-threaded operation of Excel, I'd have to buy a new
> copy of the program to get it. My older copy of Excel doesn't
> have that feature.
>
> This is one of the reasons I'm relatively comfortable buying
> only a 3GHz processor with 2 cores. The only thing I miss, is
> the extra speed I could have had while video editing. For most
> other work I do on the computer, the dual cores are good enough.

0
Adela
9/4/2010 9:30:11 PM
Hi...yes, I too hear a lot more good things about Intel than other
brands....    Adela

> Leroy said to consider the HP Pavilion Elite. I am asking why.
> My personal choice is Intel processors. (personal experience)
> "Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Unknown and thanks but....you think the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z
>> series is no good???  Now I ask YOU:  why???   :o)         Adela
>>

>> "Unknown" <unknown@unknown.kom> wrote in message
>>> Why????????
>>> "Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

0
Adela
9/5/2010 12:06:25 AM
Hi again and thank you Paul for clarifying even more about the nilly greety
in finding the right workings of a computer!  Since I don't do games or edit
videos or movies or any of that higher type of activity, I will look into
the link you gave me and hopefully I'll find an appropriate computer.

> I'm using a Core2 Dual Core at 3GHz for my desktop here, but
> I don't think this will be fast enough ten years from now.

Paul, would you then say I should get a cuad core instead of the dual core
if I want it to last ten years from now?

All of your wonderful advice to me in getting the right machine will help a
lot as I gathered all the info and am going to start looking armed with this
great arsenal fo info!

THANK YOU ALL!  :o)         Adela

> Adela wrote:
>> Thank you so much Paul.  Good  questions:
>>
>>> Do you have a large budget or a small one ?
>> *From medium to small*
>>
>>> Are you expecting the machine to last for another 10-1/2 years ?
>> *LOL!  yes as a matter of fact!*
>>
>>> Are you reusing anything from the old one ? (Like the monitor perhaps.)
>> *Not sure.  My (heavy) monitor is still perfect but I'd love the flat
>> panel to save space (and muscle when it needs to be moved).  I doubt that
>> any other components would serve except a 257MB I bought a month or so
>> ago*
>>
>> Adela
>>

> If you don't play a lot of demanding 3D games, then something
> from this page might work. The quad core would help you, if you
> wanted to do video editing. And the extra computing cores, may
> help the machine when it is much older, and you've installed
> a brand new (sluggish) OS.
>
> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance
>
> It really depends a lot on what you typically do with the machine,
> as to whether the extra horsepower is worth it.
>
> I had more trouble, finding pre-built machines that offered good
> 3D graphics cards for gaming. If you don't need fancy graphics,
> you have a lot more choices in computers to buy.
>
> I'm using a Core2 Dual Core at 3GHz for my desktop here, but
> I don't think this will be fast enough ten years from now. Since
> I don't regularly edit video (only prepared a couple DVDs as
> an experiment), I decided not to get quad cores. Doing video,
> I'd have to sit around for two hours, waiting for the job to
> finish and see how it turned out. Some people will pay a lot
> of money, to speed that process up.
>
>    Paul

0
Adela
9/5/2010 12:24:29 AM
Thank you very much Leroy!  I'll look into it.  :o)        Adela

"Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Consider a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z series with a AMD Athlon(TM) X4 635
> quad-core processor [2.9GHz and 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM.  Also, order the
> optional 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
>
> Ref:
> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&series_name=HPE300z_series&a1=Category&v1=High
> performance
>
> On 9/3/2010 10:02 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>> and
>> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
>> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
>> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

0
Adela
9/5/2010 12:26:45 AM
Thank you 8os!

> try reinstalling xp (have sp3 and your  defense apps predownloaded)
> 10.5 year old 400mhz xp pc *might* be a little slow (espec if celeron),
> even with
> 512+ mb ram(all that xp needs). 8 year old 1+ghz p3 should be good. the
> point is
> that you don't need much to run xp, but ms drops xp support 2014.
> if you expec to upgrade windows 8 years from now (i'm guessing that's when
> win7
> support "dies"), then the new pc should support guesstimate 8 gb ram.

About 2 or 3 months ago I upgraded from IE6 to IE8 and from SP2 to SP3.  I
do know about WinXP support ending in 2014...(Just when one gets used to one
method and learns what makes it tick...in comes an urgent warningn to
upgrade!)  Yay!

If I'm still alive by 2018...then yes I'd like to upgrade it now so as not
to have to bother later.  With that in mind, your advice to get GB instead
of MB makes sense, no?  I notice many computers already come with 3 or 4GB
of RAM and 500MB and more for HD.  Now for the rest of the innards of the
computer, I don't know what would be proper GBs or Mgz whatever.  :o)

 I will look into  "tomshardware benchmarks" about the tested CPUs.   I
don't do any editting of videos or movies, graphics, etc. so I guess a
middle of the road computer specs would be in order for someone like me?

> i've read mostly good about dell refurb.
> check fatwallet, slickdeals.
> spend les on the pc. use the money for external drive for backups.

You are so right that I should get an external backup device, unless I can
use the CD burner for that, no?  'Good idea, I'll also try Dell's
refurbished.  should I look into this at Dell's?  Or at FatWallet?

Thanks again so very much!!!      :o)       Adela

<8os.8@invalid.nomail> wrote in message
> 04 Sep 2010,"Adela" <nuevadela2@rcn.com> in
>
>>  I dont do games or movies or whatever
>> takes THAT much power.    Only use it for plenty internet surfing
>> (finding out things) and emails.  Now the emails I receive many
>> with heavy videos, etc. and I send them out to my list.  Is this
>> considered to need a lot more power?  If so I'll have to get it.
>> Maybe this is why my elderly computer is refusing to speed up its
>> pace???
>
> try reinstalling xp (have sp3 and your  defense apps predownloaded)
> 10.5 year old 400mhz xp pc *might* be a little slow (espec if celeron),
> even with
> 512+ mb ram(all that xp needs). 8 year old 1+ghz p3 should be good. the
> point is
> that you don't need much to run xp, but ms drops xp support 2014.
>
> if you expec to upgrade windows 8 years from now (i'm guessing that's when
> win7
> support "dies"), then the new pc should support guesstimate 8 gb ram.
>
> look at the tomshardware benchmarks. the great thing abut those, is that
> the cpus
> are tested in the rest of the pc that's appropriate (built) for each cpu.
>
> in your case, i think you watch vids often, so compaare vid performance to
> prices
> culled from wherever.
>
> someone here already mentioned thst vid editing needs better pc, but if yu
> rarely
> do such demandin tasks, it's probably not worth paying for best pc.
>
> i've read mostly good about dell refurb.
> check fatwallet, slickdeals.
>
> spend les on the pc. use the money for external drive for backups.
>

> (1 hand typing on **y keyboard>>typos)

0
Adela
9/5/2010 12:26:55 AM
Adela wrote:
> Oh thank you so very much for your generosity in explaining so thoroughly
> the importance of a clock rate!   So, when they describe a computer as "duaL
> core" this is what would be okay for someone like me?   I was told that I
> should get the "cuad core" and so I was trying to get it with this 4-core
> but they were higher priced.  You say dual core is fine then?  This will
> simplify this part of my search!  Thank you again!!!      :o)       Adela
>
> P.S.  On a 2nd thought...did I understand correctly that my understanding,
> above, applies to your last paragraph...?  Or maybe when vendors say "dual
> core" is different from what you explained?   (So sorry for being such a
> dummy!)

2 cores (dual cores) is sufficient for web surfing, email, and light
computing today. If you're on a tight budget, a dual core is plenty.

If you want the machine to last ten years, I recommend getting the
4 core machine, as *eventually* more software will use the extra
cores. I cannot predict, or give you a date, when the majority of
software will be multi-threaded. That may never happen completely.
I gave an example, where Microsoft Excel has been changed to be
multi-threaded, but you need to buy a fairly recent version of
Excel, to get that feature. So the software is being upgraded,
but it is happening slowly.

If you don't care about the future at all, you can buy the dual core
machine today, and when it becomes too slow, buy a new computer
at that time.

The reason I have a dual core, is I upgrade computers fairly frequently,
so I have no plan to keep the current configuration for ten years. The
last processor setup lasted about a year, before I changed it again.
(I've had seven or eight different motherboards in the last ten years.)

If I was to become a professional video editor tomorrow, I'd upgrade
with a processor having more cores, to speed up the job. But right now,
the dual core I've got is sufficient.

On my machine here, the part that makes it slow, is the hard drive.
Some day, I'll be buying a SSD flash drive, as a replacement for
my hard drive, and that will make the machine faster than it is now.
This is an example of what you can use for your boot drive. It takes
a lot of research, to find a good one of these. Reading the customer
reviews for the product, is important.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233131

You can find smaller ones of those, like this 40GB one, but for
Windows 7, that might be too small in storage capacity to be practical.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233130

    Paul
0
Paul
9/5/2010 1:28:41 AM
On 04/09/2010 2:19 PM, Adela wrote:
> Thanks very much Yousuf, but I learned that ALL new computers come with
> Windows 7 withh very few exceptions...   :o)             Adela

Well, sure, that's of course right. But you can downgrade to XP on your
own if you like, unless you've accepted your situation and you're
willing to learn something new with Win 7. I don't mind Windows 7, and
I've come to learn some great features about it, but I do know there are
a lot of people who are having a tough time with relearning the interface.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
9/5/2010 4:22:30 AM
On 04/09/2010 2:22 PM, Adela wrote:
> My sentiments exactly.  It's all such a jungle of specs without the proper
> explanations!  One needs to take a university course to know how to buy a
> computer these days!!!<:-(((((  Adela

These days pretty much any computer will do for just about anybody. It's
like with cars, no one really needs more than a 4-cylinder econobox, but
it's upto you if you want to go for a bit more.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
9/5/2010 4:36:33 AM
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> On 04/09/2010 2:19 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Thanks very much Yousuf, but I learned that ALL new computers come with
>> Windows 7 withh very few exceptions...   :o)             Adela
>
> Well, sure, that's of course right. But you can downgrade to XP on your
> own if you like, unless you've accepted your situation and you're
> willing to learn something new with Win 7. I don't mind Windows 7, and
> I've come to learn some great features about it, but I do know there are
> a lot of people who are having a tough time with relearning the interface.
>
>     Yousuf Khan

This HP workstation (Z200) offers "downgrade rights" to WinXP. But when
I tried configuring it, it was pretty expensive for what you get (even if you
reduce it to using integrated graphics).

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/12454-12454-296719-307907-4270226.html

And I wouldn't buy the SFF version of that thing, because it is too hard
to upgrade later. I'd get the mid-tower instead.

It's expensive enough, to be like "buying Apple".

    Paul
0
Paul
9/5/2010 5:00:24 AM
Adela wrote:
> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a
> new one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>
> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like
> RAM and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be
> careful NOT to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers
> for over a decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>
> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff,
> including programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do
> it???  :D
> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

Your current PC is too old to have been shipped with XP. It must have
had either Windows 98SE or Windows Millenium, and then you must have
upgraded it to XP at some point. That was quite possibly a big mistake
since XP needs more horsepower (i.e., a faster processor and almost
certainly more RAM) to properly function. You must have been living with
a slow slug for quite a long time!

As long as you will be using the new PC for ordinary Web surfing,
e-mails, and video viewing, virtually *any* modern PC (certain netbooks
might be the exception, though) with Windows 7 will be more than
adequate.

Warning: If the new PC comes with a 30-day free trial of McAfee,
uninstall it post haste! And then install something like Avira AntiVir.
McAfee is notorious for hogging resources and thus crippling
performance.

Programs will need to be reinstalled (and I'm not sure how many of the
old ones will be able to be run on the new Windows 7 OS). Data can be
copied, however. I would recommend purchasing an external hard drive if
you do not already have one.

You can opt for the more expensive Windows 7 Professional in order to
have the option to switch on demand to run in virtual XP mode. This way,
you can install programs that will only run on XP.

If you are not a sophisticated PC user, you might want to hire a tech to
set this up for you. This includes transferring all your data and
installing all the programs you want to use.

0
Daave
9/5/2010 1:13:40 PM
Daave wrote:
> Adela wrote:
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a
>> new one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like
>> RAM and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be
>> careful NOT to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers
>> for over a decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff,
>> including programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do
>> it???  :D
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>
> Your current PC is too old to have been shipped with XP. It must have
> had either Windows 98SE or Windows Millenium, and then you must have
> upgraded it to XP at some point. That was quite possibly a big mistake
> since XP needs more horsepower (i.e., a faster processor and almost
> certainly more RAM) to properly function. You must have been living
> with a slow slug for quite a long time!
>
> As long as you will be using the new PC for ordinary Web surfing,
> e-mails, and video viewing, virtually *any* modern PC (certain
> netbooks might be the exception, though) with Windows 7 will be more
> than adequate.
>
> Warning: If the new PC comes with a 30-day free trial of McAfee,
> uninstall it post haste! And then install something like Avira
> AntiVir. McAfee is notorious for hogging resources and thus crippling
> performance.
>
> Programs will need to be reinstalled (and I'm not sure how many of the
> old ones will be able to be run on the new Windows 7 OS). Data can be
> copied, however. I would recommend purchasing an external hard drive
> if you do not already have one.
>
> You can opt for the more expensive Windows 7 Professional in order to
> have the option to switch on demand to run in virtual XP mode. This
> way, you can install programs that will only run on XP.
>
> If you are not a sophisticated PC user, you might want to hire a tech
> to set this up for you. This includes transferring all your data and
> installing all the programs you want to use.

BTW, here's the page on Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

0
Daave
9/5/2010 1:27:30 PM
On 9/3/2010 8:02 PM, Adela wrote:
> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>
> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM and
> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>
> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>
> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

Hi: I would consider waiting until the new year.
The newer units should have USB3, BluRay drives, better on board video
for HD and better priced large LCD monitors.
There may be some holiday specials, good units at a good price.
Hope you find something that works for you at a reasonable price.

tommyold

0
tommyold
9/5/2010 8:36:24 PM

tommyold wrote:

> Hi: I would consider waiting until the new year.

By that time Intel and AMD would bring out new processors and
other gadgets and you will need to wait another 6 months to get
better value for these new gadgets!

If you need a new system, go and buy it now;  It is silly to wait
until next year when VAT is going up in the UK and most probably
USA might be in double-dip recession and some of you piggies may
not have a job to go to.
Buy now and enjoy before you die or blown up by a muslim terrorist
wanting a new mosque at ground zero.
0
Cheng
9/5/2010 9:23:41 PM
Hi Yousuf, I suppose I could have the cake and eat it too by keeping both,
my present WinXP and Win7?   After all I'll have plenty of power in my new
computer, no?    Adela

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 04/09/2010 2:19 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Thanks very much Yousuf, but I learned that ALL new computers come with
>> Windows 7 withh very few exceptions...   :o)             Adela
>
> Well, sure, that's of course right. But you can downgrade to XP on your
> own if you like, unless you've accepted your situation and you're willing
> to learn something new with Win 7. I don't mind Windows 7, and I've come
> to learn some great features about it, but I do know there are a lot of
> people who are having a tough time with relearning the interface.
>
> Yousuf Khan

0
Adela
9/6/2010 3:13:52 AM
LOL!  Well said!    Adela

> On 04/09/2010 2:22 PM, Adela wrote:
>> My sentiments exactly.  It's all such a jungle of specs without the
>> proper
>> explanations!  One needs to take a university course to know how to buy a
>> computer these days!!!<:-(((((  Adela
>
> These days pretty much any computer will do for just about anybody. It's
> like with cars, no one really needs more than a 4-cylinder econobox, but
> it's upto you if you want to go for a bit more.
>
> Yousuf Khan

0
Adela
9/6/2010 3:18:58 AM
On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 22:23:41 +0100, Cheng Heng <"Cheng.
Heng"@microsoft.com> wrote:

>tommyold wrote:
>>

>> Hi: I would consider waiting until the new year.
>
>By that time Intel and AMD would bring out new processors and
>other gadgets and you will need to wait another 6 months to get
>better value for these new gadgets!
>
>If you need a new system, go and buy it now;  It is silly to wait
>until next year when VAT is going up in the UK and most probably
>USA might be in double-dip recession and some of you piggies may
>not have a job to go to.

They could maybe save the money they would have spent now and spend
the same money later.

If they really won't have a job then, they should not buy a computer
now either.

>Buy now and enjoy before you die or blown up by a muslim terrorist
>wanting a new mosque at ground zero.

0
mm
9/6/2010 3:29:56 AM
Adela wrote:
> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a
> new one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>
> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like
> RAM and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be
> careful NOT to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers
> for over a decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>
> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff,
> including programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do
> it???  :D
> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

As to question #1, you can find used computers in two places not mentioned:
Goodwill Industries Computer Store (if they have one in your town) and
Craigslist.

It is almost a trivial task to clone your existing hard drive to the drive
in the new machine. Most hard-drive manufacturers provide a free bit of
software to move everything from a smaller drive to their larger, new,
drive. You need only visit the new hard drive's web-site (Fijutsu, Seagate,
Western Digital, etc.)

This latter option will, of course, wipe out anything on the new (used)
machine.

And, lastly, do you have access to a twelve-year old male?

0
HeyBub
9/6/2010 10:50:37 AM
In article <uU79q29SLHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nuevadela2@rcn.com
says...

> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>
> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM and
> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>
> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>
> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela

Buy an Intel i5 series CPU, 4GB RAM, and a dedicated video card with at
least 512MB of Dedicated memory, as large a drive as you can afford,
some form of DVD read/write drive, a case with at least 4 USB ports, a
quality keyboard/mouse and good LCD screen, and then Windows 7 in the
version that works for you. Once you have all of that, install Avira
Antivirus Personal (FREE) and enjoy the computer.

Depending on how old your programs are, they may not install properly or
may not be fully supported on the new Windows 7 platform - but you
should get a Win 7 64 Bit operating system with a machine that also
supports 64 bit. Anything lesee and you're wasting your long term money.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
9/6/2010 11:32:59 PM
Leythos wrote on Mon, 6 Sep 2010 19:32:59 -0400:
> In article <uU79q29SLHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nuevadela2@rcn.com
> says...
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM and
>> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
>> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
>> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>
> Buy an Intel i5 series CPU, 4GB RAM, and a dedicated video card with at
> least 512MB of Dedicated memory, as large a drive as you can afford,
> some form of DVD read/write drive, a case with at least 4 USB ports, a
> quality keyboard/mouse and good LCD screen, and then Windows 7 in the
> version that works for you. Once you have all of that, install Avira
> Antivirus Personal (FREE) and enjoy the computer.
>
> Depending on how old your programs are, they may not install properly or
> may not be fully supported on the new Windows 7 platform - but you
> should get a Win 7 64 Bit operating system with a machine that also
> supports 64 bit. Anything lesee and you're wasting your long term money.

I would never be interested in such a machine myself. 64 bit Windows has
lots of problems running older software for one. And I ran 32 bit
Windows 7 for a year on three different machines and they didn't run all
of my programs either. But Windows XP does. So I switched them all to
Windows XP which I found to be far better.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

> Your current PC is too old to have been shipped with XP. It must have had
> either Windows 98SE or Windows Millenium, and then you must have upgraded
> it to XP at some point.

Correct!  I bought it with 98SE, but it was only from last year or so that
it became gradually but surely slower....I didn't know XP demanded more than
what I had.  I bought it without asking anyone anything, as I do now, so no
one told me this, among other things too.

> Warning: If the new PC comes with a 30-day free trial of McAfee, uninstall
> it post haste!

When I bought it (a decade ago!) lol! it came with McCaffee too and was
advised to get rid of,  and got Norton (from the frying pan to the fire).
At present I have Avast and intend to keep it.

> Programs will need to be reinstalled (and I'm not sure how many of the old
> ones will be able to be run on the new Windows 7 OS). Data can be copied,
> however. I would recommend purchasing an external hard drive if you do not
> already have one.

Good idea!  I've been wanting to get an external HD to make my backups
easier and more secure.  Do you think that a techi could copy them for me
without having to install a program?  By copying...do you mean copying the
entire HD "as is"?  With defects and all?  Or is there a better way?

> You can opt for the more expensive Windows 7 Professional in order to have
> the option to switch on demand to run in virtual XP mode. This way, you
> can install programs that will only run on XP.

What programs and what advantage would I have by using also the XP?

Thanks a lot again, I'm learning a bit more with each kind advice received
here!  :o)    Adela

"Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
> Adela wrote:
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a
>> new one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like
>> RAM and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be
>> careful NOT to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers
>> for over a decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff,
>> including programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do
>> it???  :D
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>
> Your current PC is too old to have been shipped with XP. It must have had
> either Windows 98SE or Windows Millenium, and then you must have upgraded
> it to XP at some point. That was quite possibly a big mistake since XP
> needs more horsepower (i.e., a faster processor and almost certainly more
> RAM) to properly function. You must have been living with a slow slug for
> quite a long time!
>
> As long as you will be using the new PC for ordinary Web surfing, e-mails,
> and video viewing, virtually *any* modern PC (certain netbooks might be
> the exception, though) with Windows 7 will be more than adequate.
>
> Warning: If the new PC comes with a 30-day free trial of McAfee, uninstall
> it post haste! And then install something like Avira AntiVir. McAfee is
> notorious for hogging resources and thus crippling performance.
>
> Programs will need to be reinstalled (and I'm not sure how many of the old
> ones will be able to be run on the new Windows 7 OS). Data can be copied,
> however. I would recommend purchasing an external hard drive if you do not
> already have one.
>
> You can opt for the more expensive Windows 7 Professional in order to have
> the option to switch on demand to run in virtual XP mode. This way, you
> can install programs that will only run on XP.
>
> If you are not a sophisticated PC user, you might want to hire a tech to
> set this up for you. This includes transferring all your data and
> installing all the programs you want to use.

0
Adela
9/8/2010 12:44:49 AM
Hi tommyold and thanks so much!  Good thinking, however, it has gotten SO
VERY SLOW that it's making me really sick!  I guess I would only wait if the
techi that I know, can't help me right now as I'd appreciate his opinion
before I finalize the purchase.  Also, once before when I had problems with
the computer and  told him I wanted to buy another Dell since it gave me
such good results, he said he can make one for me for a fraction of Dell's
computer.  So now, I don't know whether to have him do it, or go with my
hunch about Dell's... But I would love to wait until the holidays as you
well said!   :o)

Thanks again a lot!        Adela

"tommyold" <tommyold@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 9/3/2010 8:02 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>> and
>> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
>> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
>> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>>

> Hi: I would consider waiting until the new year.
> The newer units should have USB3, BluRay drives, better on board video for
> HD and better priced large LCD monitors.
> There may be some holiday specials, good units at a good price.
> Hope you find something that works for you at a reasonable price.
>
> tommyold

0
Adela
9/8/2010 12:54:11 AM
LOL!  Hi Cheng!  You are funny but, in a serious way.  I agree with you.
This is the beauty of this wonderful forum where ideas are crossed and
thought over so that one comes out with the best filtered solution.    :o)
You are also right in that the newest components will not be cheap; however,
I don't have to have the latest!  Just a good quality one AND...the
fastest!!! lol!  So I've already emailed my techi and hope he'll give me his
definite solution.

....and sadly enough you are SO RIGHT that being blown out by muslims today
is not just an exciting movie anymore!  You're very sensible!     :-)
Adela

"Cheng Heng" <"Cheng. Heng"@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> tommyold wrote:
>>

>> Hi: I would consider waiting until the new year.
>
> By that time Intel and AMD would bring out new processors and
> other gadgets and you will need to wait another 6 months to get
> better value for these new gadgets!
>
> If you need a new system, go and buy it now;  It is silly to wait
> until next year when VAT is going up in the UK and most probably
> USA might be in double-dip recession and some of you piggies may
> not have a job to go to.
> Buy now and enjoy before you die or blown up by a muslim terrorist
> wanting a new mosque at ground zero.

0
Adela
9/8/2010 1:01:35 AM
Good thinking here too!   :o)           Adela

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 22:23:41 +0100, Cheng Heng <"Cheng.
> Heng"@microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>tommyold wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi: I would consider waiting until the new year.
>>
>>By that time Intel and AMD would bring out new processors and
>>other gadgets and you will need to wait another 6 months to get
>>better value for these new gadgets!
>>
>>If you need a new system, go and buy it now;  It is silly to wait
>>until next year when VAT is going up in the UK and most probably
>>USA might be in double-dip recession and some of you piggies may
>>not have a job to go to.
>
> They could maybe save the money they would have spent now and spend
> the same money later.
>
> If they really won't have a job then, they should not buy a computer
> now either.
>
>>Buy now and enjoy before you die or blown up by a muslim terrorist
>>wanting a new mosque at ground zero.

0
Adela
9/8/2010 1:03:15 AM
THANK YOU HeyBub!   A 2nd hand computer would be a good idea, except not
knowing how old it is and in what condition, it would be risky.

> It is almost a trivial task to clone your existing hard drive to the drive
> in the new machine. Most hard-drive manufacturers provide a free bit of
> software to move everything from a smaller drive to their larger, new,
> drive. You need only visit the new hard drive's web-site (Fijutsu,
> Seagate, Western Digital, etc.)

Oh this is very encouraging!  I have the Samsung (sp?) HD and I'll look into
it.  If for some reason my techi won't or can't do it, I'll certainly try it
myself.

> And, lastly, do you have access to a twelve-year old male?

....what's this???   :o)

Thanks again!     Adela

"HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Adela wrote:
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a
>> new one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like
>> RAM and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be
>> careful NOT to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers
>> for over a decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff,
>> including programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do
>> it???  :D
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>
> As to question #1, you can find used computers in two places not
> mentioned: Goodwill Industries Computer Store (if they have one in your
> town) and Craigslist.
>
> It is almost a trivial task to clone your existing hard drive to the drive
> in the new machine. Most hard-drive manufacturers provide a free bit of
> software to move everything from a smaller drive to their larger, new,
> drive. You need only visit the new hard drive's web-site (Fijutsu,
> Seagate, Western Digital, etc.)
>
> This latter option will, of course, wipe out anything on the new (used)
> machine.
>
> And, lastly, do you have access to a twelve-year old male?

0
Adela
9/8/2010 1:49:31 AM
Adela wrote:
> Thank you SO much Daave!

YW!

>> Your current PC is too old to have been shipped with XP. It must
>> have had either Windows 98SE or Windows Millenium, and then you must
>> have upgraded it to XP at some point.
>
> Correct!  I bought it with 98SE, but it was only from last year or so
> that it became gradually but surely slower....I didn't know XP
> demanded more than what I had.  I bought it without asking anyone
> anything, as I do now, so no one told me this, among other things too.

From what I have seen, here are the major causes of slow performance:

1. Malware

2. Resource hogs like McAfee (and earlier versions of Norton)

3. Lately, many people have been having horrible problems with automatic
updates from Microsoft Update.

All of the above can be corrected. But in your case, I'd say it's time
for a new PC. :-)

>> Warning: If the new PC comes with a 30-day free trial of McAfee,
>> uninstall it post haste!
>
> When I bought it (a decade ago!) lol! it came with McCaffee too and
> was advised to get rid of,  and got Norton (from the frying pan to
> the fire). At present I have Avast and intend to keep it.

Avast is a good free antivirus program. But it is important to configure
it so it doesn't consume too many resources. For example, e-mail
scanning is unnecessary and can be turned off.

>> Programs will need to be reinstalled (and I'm not sure how many of
>> the old ones will be able to be run on the new Windows 7 OS). Data
>> can be copied, however. I would recommend purchasing an external
>> hard drive if you do not already have one.
>
> Good idea!  I've been wanting to get an external HD to make my backups
> easier and more secure.  Do you think that a techi could copy them
> for me without having to install a program?  By copying...do you mean
> copying the entire HD "as is"?  With defects and all?  Or is there a
> better way?

You could copy the data (no, not the entire hard drive!). You don't
necessarily need a tech; I mentioned that because some people aren't too
comfortable with "techy" things. You don't need any program (it's just
data). Just use Windows Explorer. :-)

>> You can opt for the more expensive Windows 7 Professional in order
>> to have the option to switch on demand to run in virtual XP mode.
>> This way, you can install programs that will only run on XP.
>
> What programs and what advantage would I have by using also the XP?

Only you would know this. Some older programs that can run on XP may not
run on 7 (if you paid for these programs, you could contact their
support and ask if they can be installed on 7). If you don't need XP
Mode, don't pay the extra premium for it.

> Thanks a lot again, I'm learning a bit more with each kind advice
> received here!  :o)    Adela

YW again. :-)

0
Daave
9/8/2010 1:51:04 AM
Hi and thank you Leythos!   Your advice makes sense too...

> Buy an Intel i5 series CPU, 4GB RAM, and a dedicated video card with at
> least 512MB of Dedicated memory, as large a drive as you can afford,
> some form of DVD read/write drive, a case with at least 4 USB ports, a
> quality keyboard/mouse and good LCD screen, and then Windows 7 in the
> version that works for you. Once you have all of that, install Avira
> Antivirus Personal (FREE) and enjoy the computer.

....except I was thinking of more GBs so as not to have to upgrade later.
Does it make sense?  Or will I have problems when the time comes?   I'll
continue using the Avast AV.

> Depending on how old your programs are, they may not install properly or
> may not be fully supported on the new Windows 7 platform - but you
> should get a Win 7 64 Bit operating system with a machine that also
> supports 64 bit. Anything lesee and you're wasting your long term money.

I didn't know that the computer had to fit into the Win 7/64 Bit.  I can see
it's more advisable to just go to those programs and download them from
scratch.

> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.

This is so true, Leythos, but sometimes even our best 5 senses need
advice...  :o)  Witness that the highest government officers have attached
their advisors!

Thank you a lot again.   :^)        Adela

"Leythos" <spam999free@rrohio.com> wrote in message
> In article <uU79q29SLHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nuevadela2@rcn.com
> says...
>>
>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>
>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>> and
>> HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful NOT to
>> have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a decade I
>> feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>
>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>
>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>
> Buy an Intel i5 series CPU, 4GB RAM, and a dedicated video card with at
> least 512MB of Dedicated memory, as large a drive as you can afford,
> some form of DVD read/write drive, a case with at least 4 USB ports, a
> quality keyboard/mouse and good LCD screen, and then Windows 7 in the
> version that works for you. Once you have all of that, install Avira
> Antivirus Personal (FREE) and enjoy the computer.
>
> Depending on how old your programs are, they may not install properly or
> may not be fully supported on the new Windows 7 platform - but you
> should get a Win 7 64 Bit operating system with a machine that also
> supports 64 bit. Anything lesee and you're wasting your long term money.
>
> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

0
Adela
9/8/2010 2:11:41 AM
> I would never be interested in such a machine myself. 64 bit Windows has
> lots of problems running older software for one. And I ran 32 bit Windows
> 7 for a year on three different machines and they didn't run all of my
> programs either. But Windows XP does. So I switched them all to Windows XP
> which I found to be far better.

Oh no Bill!!!   I think I'm used to XP so I found it easy but, as to whether
or not it's ACTUALLY good...only a techi would know it?  So then apparently
Windows 7 with 32, even 64 Bit is not so hot...

Oh Goddess Computer, please tell me the secret!  lol!

Thanks much Bill!        Adela

"BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote in message
> Leythos wrote on Mon, 6 Sep 2010 19:32:59 -0400:
>> In article <uU79q29SLHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nuevadela2@rcn.com
>> says...
>>> Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>>> slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a new
>>> one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>>
>>> Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like RAM
>>> and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be careful
>>> NOT to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers for over a
>>> decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>>
>>> Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff, including
>>> programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do it???  :D
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>>
>> Buy an Intel i5 series CPU, 4GB RAM, and a dedicated video card with at
>> least 512MB of Dedicated memory, as large a drive as you can afford, some
>> form of DVD read/write drive, a case with at least 4 USB ports, a quality
>> keyboard/mouse and good LCD screen, and then Windows 7 in the version
>> that works for you. Once you have all of that, install Avira Antivirus
>> Personal (FREE) and enjoy the computer.
>>
>> Depending on how old your programs are, they may not install properly or
>> may not be fully supported on the new Windows 7 platform - but you should
>> get a Win 7 64 Bit operating system with a machine that also supports 64
>> bit. Anything lesee and you're wasting your long term money.
>
> I would never be interested in such a machine myself. 64 bit Windows has
> lots of problems running older software for one. And I ran 32 bit Windows
> 7 for a year on three different machines and they didn't run all of my
> programs either. But Windows XP does. So I switched them all to Windows XP
> which I found to be far better.
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Xandros Linux (build 2007-10-19 13:03)

0
Adela
9/8/2010 2:18:01 AM
Dell has refurbished, dents and scratches at the "Outlet" also "off
lease" if you are looking for bargains.

Adela wrote:

> THANK YOU HeyBub!   A 2nd hand computer would be a good idea, except not
> knowing how old it is and in what condition, it would be risky.
>

>>It is almost a trivial task to clone your existing hard drive to the drive
>>in the new machine. Most hard-drive manufacturers provide a free bit of
>>software to move everything from a smaller drive to their larger, new,
>>drive. You need only visit the new hard drive's web-site (Fijutsu,
>>Seagate, Western Digital, etc.)
>

> Oh this is very encouraging!  I have the Samsung (sp?) HD and I'll look into
> it.  If for some reason my techi won't or can't do it, I'll certainly try it
> myself.
>

>>And, lastly, do you have access to a twelve-year old male?
>

> ...what's this???   :o)
>
> Thanks again!     Adela
>

> "HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Adela wrote:
>>
>>>Hello to all!  Finally my over 10-1/2 year old Dell desktop's extreme
>>>slowness has seriously gotten on my nerves and I'm now looking for a
>>>new one.  (Surprisingly, it's working pretty well otherwise...)
>>>
>>>Maybe this isn't the right forum?  But beside the usual things like
>>>RAM and HD GBs, are there things I should be sure to have...or be
>>>careful NOT to have on a desktop?  After n ot looking into computers
>>>for over a decade I feel like a Martian in the Earth.  lol!
>>>
>>>Also, is it possible to transfer to the new one ALL my stuff,
>>>including programs, etc.?  Do you think a dummy like me could do
>>>it???  :D
>>>Thanks so much for any suggestions!  :o)          Adela
>>
>>As to question #1, you can find used computers in two places not
>>mentioned: Goodwill Industries Computer Store (if they have one in your
>>town) and Craigslist.
>>
>>It is almost a trivial task to clone your existing hard drive to the drive
>>in the new machine. Most hard-drive manufacturers provide a free bit of
>>software to move everything from a smaller drive to their larger, new,
>>drive. You need only visit the new hard drive's web-site (Fijutsu,
>>Seagate, Western Digital, etc.)
>>
>>This latter option will, of course, wipe out anything on the new (used)
>>machine.
>>
>>And, lastly, do you have access to a twelve-year old male?

0
Bob
9/8/2010 12:27:35 PM
On 04/09/2010 8:24 PM, Adela wrote:
>> I'm using a Core2 Dual Core at 3GHz for my desktop here, but
>> I don't think this will be fast enough ten years from now.
>
> Paul, would you then say I should get a cuad core instead of the dual core
> if I want it to last ten years from now?
>
> All of your wonderful advice to me in getting the right machine will help a
> lot as I gathered all the info and am going to start looking armed with this
> great arsenal fo info!
>
> THANK YOU ALL!  :o)         Adela

Well, a question you should ask yourself is if you really want a
computer to last 10 years? It doesn't matter how powerful it is now, by
the time it's ten years old, it'll feel abysmally slow & limited.
Thinking back 10 years ago, the most powerful processors available then
would not even be able to cut it with today's cheapest processors.

I think it's best to just simply go with the cheapest acceptable
computer for today, and then in three years, you can get another. A
family friend recently bought a cheap $299 Emachines desktop, to replace
a Dell from around 2003-2004 era which must've been an $800 machine
around then. The new box not just puts the old box to shame in speed
(everything is way more responsive), it also packs more features into a
tinier box. The new machine must be 1/4th the size of the old one!

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
9/8/2010 12:49:38 PM
On 05/09/2010 11:13 PM, Adela wrote:
> Hi Yousuf, I suppose I could have the cake and eat it too by keeping both,
> my present WinXP and Win7?   After all I'll have plenty of power in my new
> computer, no?    Adela
>

> "Yousuf Khan"<bbbl67@spammenot.yahoo.com>  wrote in message
>> On 04/09/2010 2:19 PM, Adela wrote:
>>> Thanks very much Yousuf, but I learned that ALL new computers come with
>>> Windows 7 withh very few exceptions...   :o)             Adela
>>
>> Well, sure, that's of course right. But you can downgrade to XP on your
>> own if you like, unless you've accepted your situation and you're willing
>> to learn something new with Win 7. I don't mind Windows 7, and I've come
>> to learn some great features about it, but I do know there are a lot of
>> people who are having a tough time with relearning the interface.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan

You mean like a dual-boot system? Yes that's possible, though that's a
little disk intensive. There is a program called Zinstall-XP7 (i.e. Win
XP to Win 7, thus XP7), which lets you take your existing Windows XP
image and migrate it to your new Windows 7 machine (it can even migrate
it over the network). The Windows XP runs as a virtualized sub-process
of the Windows 7. You simply hot switch between the XP and the Win 7
desktop as you like. The virtualized Win XP even retains all of your
existing programs and settings (including your existing desktop
wallpaper, etc.), you don't even have to reinstall any of them.

You start up your Windows 7, and then once you're in, then you click on
the Zinstall-XP7 icon and you are back in your old XP environment again,
as if you never changed your machine. Mind you, for this to work
properly, you need a fairly quick machine, but it saves you a lot of
headache in relearning stuff.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
9/8/2010 12:59:10 PM
On 04/09/2010 8:06 PM, Adela wrote:
> Hi...yes, I too hear a lot more good things about Intel than other
> brands....    Adela

The processor brand doesn't matter, you can have just as many problems
with Intel processors as any other brand. The issue has more to with
Microsoft Windows bugs than processor problems.

These days AMD processors offer slightly better performance/price
ratings, while Intel processors offer slightly better ultimate
performance ratings. Those were reversed about 5 years ago, so it's
something that changes over and over again.

Don't worry about processor brands, or even anything to do with the
processor at all, just worry about price points. Generally, all machines
are priced properly for their performance these days. If you compare a
machine in the $300 range, they will generally be all of the same
processor types. Then most $500 machines are comparable to each other,
and $700, etc. The only ones not comparable are the Apple machines which
are usually $200-$300 overpriced.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
9/8/2010 1:15:57 PM
someone send the lady a computer!

Yousuf Khan wrote:

>>> Paul, would you then say I should get a cuad core instead of the
>>> dual core if I want it to last ten years from now?
>>>
>>> All of your wonderful advice to me in getting the right machine
>>> will help a lot as I gathered all the info and am going to start
>>> looking armed with this great arsenal fo info!
>>>
>>> THANK YOU ALL!  :o)         Adela
>>
>> Well, a question you should ask yourself is if you really want a
>> computer to last 10 years? It doesn't matter how powerful it is now,
>> by the time it's ten years old, it'll feel abysmally slow & limited.
>> Thinking back 10 years ago, the most powerful processors available
>> then would not even be able to cut it with today's cheapest
>> processors.
>>
>> I think it's best to just simply go with the cheapest acceptable
>> computer for today, and then in three years, you can get another. A
>> family friend recently bought a cheap $299 Emachines desktop, to
>> replace a Dell from around 2003-2004 era which must've been an $800
>> machine around then. The new box not just puts the old box to shame
>> in speed (everything is way more responsive), it also packs more
>> features into a tinier box. The new machine must be 1/4th the size
>> of the old one!
>>
>> Yousuf Khan

0
Laughingstar
9/8/2010 3:21:32 PM
Your opinions or facts? What are failure rates of the various processors?
AMD vs Intel?
> On 04/09/2010 8:06 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Hi...yes, I too hear a lot more good things about Intel than other
>> brands....    Adela
>
> The processor brand doesn't matter, you can have just as many problems
> with Intel processors as any other brand. The issue has more to with
> Microsoft Windows bugs than processor problems.
>
> These days AMD processors offer slightly better performance/price ratings,
> while Intel processors offer slightly better ultimate performance ratings.
> Those were reversed about 5 years ago, so it's something that changes over
> and over again.
>
> Don't worry about processor brands, or even anything to do with the
> processor at all, just worry about price points. Generally, all machines
> are priced properly for their performance these days. If you compare a
> machine in the $300 range, they will generally be all of the same
> processor types. Then most $500 machines are comparable to each other, and
> $700, etc. The only ones not comparable are the Apple machines which are
> usually $200-$300 overpriced.
>
> Yousuf Khan

0
Unknown
9/8/2010 3:38:48 PM
On 08/09/2010 11:38 AM, Unknown wrote:
> Your opinions or facts? What are failure rates of the various processors?
> AMD vs Intel?

Opinion, just as yours is. With a lot of experience thrown in.

Failure rates are pretty much zero for all processors these days. When
was the last time you saw a processor die all by itself with no external
stimulus? Such as someone pulling the heat sink off of it, or a
lightening strike (which would probably kill the power supply but rarely
the processor).

System reliability is now measured on non-processor feature
compatibility mostly, which is usually down to a device driver or
software problem. Does a piece of software work on your system? Does a
piece of hardware work on your system? If they do, then do they work as
advertised or do they have some minor problems, etc.?

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
> Dell has refurbished, dents and scratches at the "Outlet" also "off lease"
> if you are looking for bargains.
>
> Adela wrote:
>
>> THANK YOU HeyBub!   A 2nd hand computer would be a good idea, except not
>> knowing how old it is and in what condition, it would be risky.
>>

>>>It is almost a trivial task to clone your existing hard drive to the
>>>drive in the new machine.  ...

Yes, but then you will have a registry expecting the exact
hardware environment of the old machine.  You will also
have a Win XP which will probably detect a non-allowable
number of hardware changes.

0
Anthony
9/8/2010 5:05:48 PM
You post as if they were facts. Clarify your posts.
> On 08/09/2010 11:38 AM, Unknown wrote:
>> Your opinions or facts? What are failure rates of the various processors?
>> AMD vs Intel?
>
> Opinion, just as yours is. With a lot of experience thrown in.
>
> Failure rates are pretty much zero for all processors these days. When was
> the last time you saw a processor die all by itself with no external
> stimulus? Such as someone pulling the heat sink off of it, or a lightening
> strike (which would probably kill the power supply but rarely the
> processor).
>
> System reliability is now measured on non-processor feature compatibility
> mostly, which is usually down to a device driver or software problem. Does
> a piece of software work on your system? Does a piece of hardware work on
> your system? If they do, then do they work as advertised or do they have
> some minor problems, etc.?
>
> Yousuf Khan

0
Unknown
9/8/2010 8:12:18 PM
Unknown wrote on Wed, 8 Sep 2010 10:38:48 -0500:
> Your opinions or facts? What are failure rates of the various processors?
> AMD vs Intel?
> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 04/09/2010 8:06 PM, Adela wrote:
>>> Hi...yes, I too hear a lot more good things about Intel than other
>>> brands....    Adela
>> The processor brand doesn't matter, you can have just as many problems
>> with Intel processors as any other brand. The issue has more to with
>> Microsoft Windows bugs than processor problems.
>>
>> These days AMD processors offer slightly better performance/price ratings,
>> while Intel processors offer slightly better ultimate performance ratings.
>> Those were reversed about 5 years ago, so it's something that changes over
>> and over again.
>>
>> Don't worry about processor brands, or even anything to do with the
>> processor at all, just worry about price points. Generally, all machines
>> are priced properly for their performance these days. If you compare a
>> machine in the $300 range, they will generally be all of the same
>> processor types. Then most $500 machines are comparable to each other, and
>> $700, etc. The only ones not comparable are the Apple machines which are
>> usually $200-$300 overpriced.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan

Well I bought four AMD HP desktop computers back in 2000. All of the
same model and they came with Windows ME on them. Nothing but problems
with them. Bought four copies of XP and replaced Windows ME. Still
wasn't solid computers. Video files would skip a frame or two and every
few seconds jump a frame backward. Recording from my TV Tuner was the
very same. Replaced video cards with another manufacture and nothing but
the same. These computers were refubs and I swear HP had a few spare
parts around and created these monsters. So maybe it would be unfair to
blame AMD, but I never bought another one again.

Back in February I was playing The Sims 3 on one of my Gateway MX6124 (I
have three of them). Although this one read the Celeron 1.5MHz 10 to 40
degrees F cooler than the other two MX6124. The error was worse the more
CPU usage it had.

Well you guessed it, after 6 weeks of maxing out the CPU all of the time
the CPU fried. Oops! Swapped the CPU from one of the other ones and now
that working CPU reads low too. I have no idea what is wrong, but it
must be something wrong on the motherboard. They all have the same BIOS
versions and everything. Swapped the heatsink and fan and no help. And
they used thermal pads and not thermal grease. Although I don't think
that matters.

My guess is this motherboard was somehow believing the CPU was running
cooler than it really was. Thus the fan never kicked up on high or
anything when it should have been during high CPU use. I still use it
today, but only for low CPU use tasks. I thought about putting a thermal
switch on the heatsink and thus kicking the fan on high if it get hot.
But I haven't got around to it yet. Other two never had a problem and I
run high CPU use games on them all of the time.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Linux
0
BillW50
9/8/2010 10:13:11 PM
Adela wrote on Tue, 7 Sep 2010 22:18:01 -0400:
>> I would never be interested in such a machine myself. 64 bit Windows has
>> lots of problems running older software for one. And I ran 32 bit Windows
>> 7 for a year on three different machines and they didn't run all of my
>> programs either. But Windows XP does. So I switched them all to Windows XP
>> which I found to be far better.
>
> Oh no Bill!!!   I think I'm used to XP so I found it easy but, as to whether
> or not it's ACTUALLY good...only a techi would know it?  So then apparently
> Windows 7 with 32, even 64 Bit is not so hot...
>
> Oh Goddess Computer, please tell me the secret!  lol!
>
> Thanks much Bill!        Adela

Well I would listen to a computer scientist and an electronic engineer.
I may not agree with them, but I would at least give them a fair hearing
anyway.

And while the last I heard, 80% likes Windows 7 and 20% doesn't. I just
happen to fall into the latter camp. As I am not so impressed with these
newer hand holding OS that are meant to be idiot proof. And you know
what they say about making something idiot proof right?

> "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote in message
>> Leythos wrote on Mon, 6 Sep 2010 19:32:59 -0400:
>>> In article <uU79q29SLHA.5460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nuevadela2@rcn.com
>>> says...

>>> Buy an Intel i5 series CPU, 4GB RAM, and a dedicated video card with at
>>> least 512MB of Dedicated memory, as large a drive as you can afford, some
>>> form of DVD read/write drive, a case with at least 4 USB ports, a quality
>>> keyboard/mouse and good LCD screen, and then Windows 7 in the version
>>> that works for you. Once you have all of that, install Avira Antivirus
>>> Personal (FREE) and enjoy the computer.
>>>
>>> Depending on how old your programs are, they may not install properly or
>>> may not be fully supported on the new Windows 7 platform - but you should
>>> get a Win 7 64 Bit operating system with a machine that also supports 64
>>> bit. Anything lesee and you're wasting your long term money.
>> I would never be interested in such a machine myself. 64 bit Windows has
>> lots of problems running older software for one. And I ran 32 bit Windows
>> 7 for a year on three different machines and they didn't run all of my
>> programs either. But Windows XP does. So I switched them all to Windows XP
>> which I found to be far better.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Linux
0
BillW50
9/8/2010 10:21:09 PM
Thanks Yousuf, it's interesting and makes sense what you say.  Only thing is
I dislike having to learn so much before buying a computer (so I know what
I'm getting), and so was hoping I wouldn't have to search for another 10
years if I get now one loaded with plenty specs....

However, I will think about it and will pose the question to this techi whom
I'll ask to make it for me, and if not, gather all the good info here and go
find one in a store.

Thank you again!     :o)       Adela

> On 04/09/2010 8:24 PM, Adela wrote:
>>> I'm using a Core2 Dual Core at 3GHz for my desktop here, but
>>> I don't think this will be fast enough ten years from now.
>>
>> Paul, would you then say I should get a cuad core instead of the dual
>> core
>> if I want it to last ten years from now?
>>
>> All of your wonderful advice to me in getting the right machine will help
>> lot as I gathered all the info and am going to start looking armed with
>> this
>> great arsenal fo info!
>>
>> THANK YOU ALL!  :o)         Adela
>
> Well, a question you should ask yourself is if you really want a computer
> to last 10 years? It doesn't matter how powerful it is now, by the time
> it's ten years old, it'll feel abysmally slow & limited. Thinking back 10
> years ago, the most powerful processors available then would not even be
> able to cut it with today's cheapest processors.
>
> I think it's best to just simply go with the cheapest acceptable computer
> for today, and then in three years, you can get another. A family friend
> recently bought a cheap $299 Emachines desktop, to replace a Dell from
> around 2003-2004 era which must've been an $800 machine around then. The
> new box not just puts the old box to shame in speed (everything is way
> more responsive), it also packs more features into a tinier box. The new
> machine must be 1/4th the size of the old one!
>
> Yousuf Khan

0
Adela
9/9/2010 1:40:32 AM
LOL!!!  Thanks Laughingstar!       Adela

> someone send the lady a computer!
>
> Yousuf Khan wrote:

>>> Well, a question you should ask yourself is if you really want a
>>> computer to last 10 years? It doesn't matter how powerful it is now,
>>> by the time it's ten years old, it'll feel abysmally slow & limited.
>>> Thinking back 10 years ago, the most powerful processors available
>>> then would not even be able to cut it with today's cheapest
>>> processors.
>>>
>>> I think it's best to just simply go with the cheapest acceptable
>>> computer for today, and then in three years, you can get another. A
>>> family friend recently bought a cheap $299 Emachines desktop, to
>>> replace a Dell from around 2003-2004 era which must've been an $800
>>> machine around then. The new box not just puts the old box to shame
>>> in speed (everything is way more responsive), it also packs more
>>> features into a tinier box. The new machine must be 1/4th the size
>>> of the old one!
>>>
>>> Yousuf Khan

0
Adela
9/9/2010 1:42:00 AM
I'm willing to learn the Win 7 Yousuf...    :o)         Adela

> On 05/09/2010 11:13 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Hi Yousuf, I suppose I could have the cake and eat it too by keeping
>> both,
>> my present WinXP and Win7?   After all I'll have plenty of power in my
>> new
>> computer, no?    Adela
>>

>> "Yousuf Khan"<bbbl67@spammenot.yahoo.com>  wrote in message
>>>
>>> Well, sure, that's of course right. But you can downgrade to XP on your
>>> own if you like, unless you've accepted your situation and you're
>>> willing
>>> to learn something new with Win 7. I don't mind Windows 7, and I've come
>>> to learn some great features about it, but I do know there are a lot of
>>> people who are having a tough time with relearning the interface.
>>>
>>> Yousuf Khan
>
> You mean like a dual-boot system? Yes that's possible, though that's a
> little disk intensive. There is a program called Zinstall-XP7 (i.e. Win XP
> to Win 7, thus XP7), which lets you take your existing Windows XP image
> and migrate it to your new Windows 7 machine (it can even migrate it over
> the network). The Windows XP runs as a virtualized sub-process of the
> Windows 7. You simply hot switch between the XP and the Win 7 desktop as
> you like. The virtualized Win XP even retains all of your existing
> programs and settings (including your existing desktop wallpaper, etc.),
> you don't even have to reinstall any of them.
>
> You start up your Windows 7, and then once you're in, then you click on
> the Zinstall-XP7 icon and you are back in your old XP environment again,
> as if you never changed your machine. Mind you, for this to work properly,
> you need a fairly quick machine, but it saves you a lot of headache in
> relearning stuff.
>
> Yousuf Khan

0
Adela
9/9/2010 1:43:17 AM
Again you say very sensible things.  I'm learnign and thank you so much!
Adela

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 04/09/2010 8:06 PM, Adela wrote:
>> Hi...yes, I too hear a lot more good things about Intel than other
>> brands....    Adela
>
> The processor brand doesn't matter, you can have just as many problems
> with Intel processors as any other brand. The issue has more to with
> Microsoft Windows bugs than processor problems.
>
> These days AMD processors offer slightly better performance/price ratings,
> while Intel processors offer slightly better ultimate performance ratings.
> Those were reversed about 5 years ago, so it's something that changes over
> and over again.
>
> Don't worry about processor brands, or even anything to do with the
> processor at all, just worry about price points. Generally, all machines
> are priced properly for their performance these days. If you compare a
> machine in the $300 range, they will generally be all of the same
> processor types. Then most $500 machines are comparable to each other, and
> $700, etc. The only ones not comparable are the Apple machines which are
> usually $200-$300 overpriced.
>
> Yousuf Khan

0
Adela
9/9/2010 1:45:41 AM
Thank you Bob!  Then perhaps it's a good idea to try Dell's refurbished
desktops which I'll try too.   :o)        Adela

> Dell has refurbished, dents and scratches at the "Outlet" also "off lease"
> if you are looking for bargains.
>
> Adela wrote:
>
>> THANK YOU HeyBub!   A 2nd hand computer would be a good idea, except not
>> knowing how old it is and in what condition, it would be risky.
>>

>>>It is almost a trivial task to clone your existing hard drive to the
>>>drive in the new machine. Most hard-drive manufacturers provide a free
>>>bit of software to move everything from a smaller drive to their larger,
>>>new, drive. You need only visit the new hard drive's web-site (Fijutsu,
>>>Seagate, Western Digital, etc.)
>>

>> Oh this is very encouraging!  I have the Samsung (sp?) HD and I'll look
>> into it.  If for some reason my techi won't or can't do it, I'll
>> certainly try it myself.
>>

>>>And, lastly, do you have access to a twelve-year old male?
>>

>> ...what's this???   :o)
>>
>> Thanks again!     Adela
>>

>> "HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>As to question #1, you can find used computers in two places not
>>>mentioned: Goodwill Industries Computer Store (if they have one in your
>>>town) and Craigslist.
>>>
>>>It is almost a trivial task to clone your existing hard drive to the
>>>drive in the new machine. Most hard-drive manufacturers provide a free
>>>bit of software to move everything from a smaller drive to their larger,
>>>new, drive. You need only visit the new hard drive's web-site (Fijutsu,
>>>Seagate, Western Digital, etc.)
>>>
>>>This latter option will, of course, wipe out anything on the new (used)
>>>machine.
>>>
>>>And, lastly, do you have access to a twelve-year old male?

0
Adela
9/9/2010 1:51:35 AM
> Yes, but then you will have a registry expecting the exact
> hardware environment of the old machine.  You will also
> have a Win XP which will probably detect a non-allowable
> number of hardware changes.

Hi and thanks Anthony!  No, I wouldn't want that.  I better stick to the
idea of giving myself the gift of a NEW computer!    :o)       Adela

"Anthony Buckland" <anthonybucklandnospam@telus.net> wrote in message

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Dell has refurbished, dents and scratches at the "Outlet" also "off
>> lease" if you are looking for bargains.
>>
>> Adela wrote:
>>
>>> THANK YOU HeyBub!   A 2nd hand computer would be a good idea, except not
>>> knowing how old it is and in what condition, it would be risky.

> Yes, but then you will have a registry expecting the exact
> hardware environment of the old machine.  You will also
> have a Win XP which will probably detect a non-allowable
> number of hardware changes.

0
Adela
9/9/2010 1:53:59 AM
Yes I know Bill....LOL!!!     Adela

> Adela wrote on Tue, 7 Sep 2010 22:18:01 -0400:
>>> I would never be interested in such a machine myself. 64 bit Windows has
>>> lots of problems running older software for one. And I ran 32 bit
>>> Windows 7 for a year on three different machines and they didn't run all
>>> of my programs either. But Windows XP does. So I switched them all to
>>> Windows XP which I found to be far better.
>>
>> Oh no Bill!!!   I think I'm used to XP so I found it easy but, as to
>> whether or not it's ACTUALLY good...only a techi would know it?  So then
>> apparently Windows 7 with 32, even 64 Bit is not so hot...
>>
>> Oh Goddess Computer, please tell me the secret!  lol!
>>
>> Thanks much Bill!        Adela
>
> Well I would listen to a computer scientist and an electronic engineer. I
> may not agree with them, but I would at least give them a fair hearing
> anyway.
>
> And while the last I heard, 80% likes Windows 7 and 20% doesn't. I just
> happen to fall into the latter camp. As I am not so impressed with these
> newer hand holding OS that are meant to be idiot proof. And you know what
> they say about making something idiot proof right?
>
>> "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote in message

>>> I would never be interested in such a machine myself. 64 bit Windows has
>>> lots of problems running older software for one. And I ran 32 bit
>>> Windows 7 for a year on three different machines and they didn't run all
>>> of my programs either. But Windows XP does. So I switched them all to
>>> Windows XP which I found to be far better.
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Linux

0
Adela
9/9/2010 1:58:52 AM
Judging by the amount of posts on this topic, it appears that a lot of
thought has gone into buying this new computer.  I hope the time spent
was worth it.

On 09/09/2010 02:58, Adela wrote:
> Yes I know Bill....LOL!!!     Adela

0
Tester
9/9/2010 2:47:40 AM
On 08/09/2010 9:43 PM, Adela wrote:
> I'm willing to learn the Win 7 Yousuf...    :o)         Adela

Ah, good for you. It's not that hard really. Just sometimes Microsoft
has a tendency to move the furniture around in Windows, everything is
still there, but in a different place than before. :)

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
9/10/2010 12:06:44 AM
Per Yousuf Khan:
> sometimes Microsoft
>has a tendency to move the furniture around in Windows

I like the phrase.   Nice and concise, paints the picture.

But it begs the question: "Why dey do dat?".

Just one user... maybe a few man hours or (in my case) days.

But a corporation with ten, twenty thousand users?   That adds up
to big money.
--
PeteCresswell
0
On 09/09/2010 8:16 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Yousuf Khan:
>> sometimes Microsoft
>> has a tendency to move the furniture around in Windows
>
> I like the phrase.   Nice and concise, paints the picture.
>
> But it begs the question: "Why dey do dat?".
>
> Just one user... maybe a few man hours or (in my case) days.
>
> But a corporation with ten, twenty thousand users?   That adds up
> to big money.

Don't know, Microsoft might say that they do that because they got some
big scientific study that says users prefer this control or that control
in a different location than it is now. But I suspect the real answer is
that they get bored and decide to redecorate, just like real people.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf

Field1 or Field2 must be null
Is it possible to set a constraint on a table across two fields such that one of the pair must have a value and the other be null? Dan Neely wrote: >Is it possible to set a constraint on a table across two fields such >that one of the pair must have a value and the other be null? You can use the table's Validation Rule: [f1] Is Not Null Or [f2] Is Not Null -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:21:03 -0700, Dan Neely <dan.neely@gmail.com> wrote: >Is it possible to set a constraint on a table across two fields such >that one of the pair must have a value...

I am getting an message saying"you must be an Adminstrator to...."
I am getting an message saying"you must be an Adminstrator to install Office 2007". Can someone please let me know how do I resolve this issue. It means you must logg on to win using an account that has full writes What version of win? "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:653CE8A1-317C-4FD5-9599-9AE51F3892C4@microsoft.com... >I am getting an message saying"you must be an Adminstrator to install >Office > 2007". Can someone please let me know how do I resolve this issue. Log on to the computer as the administr...

New Field Type
It would be nice to be able to embed a button in the form that is not part of the database but only has an event assoicated with it. Using the ISV.Config does not have the button where you would want it. This button needs to be like a field so that you can progamitically set the visibility and readonly attributes. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggest...

New Mail icon/ghosts
I'm using the excellent SpamInspector to remove the curse of tedious Spam.My problem is it works very well but everytime it moves a spam e-mail to my deleted items folder I also obviously get a new mail icon appear.It's the same with "rules" removed mails-is there anyway of making sure I get the envelope icon in my tray only when there is mail in my inbox? Thanks The icon fires when mail is received. It does not depend on whether the mail is subsequently moved by rules or an Anti-Spam program. The arrival happens first so the icon fires before any subsequent action ...

New Customizable Option Strategy Screeners
o More powerful custom screeners. o Build your own screeners with configurable filters. o Save your screeners to use later. o Six filters to choose from(more coming soon). o Screener data updated twice daily. Check out www.avasaram.com ...

Must display as: send on behalf of XXXXXXXX
Hi I hav exchange 2003 and xp pro clients. The PA has the right to send on behalf of the GM but in the From: field is showing that the mail comes directly from her which they don't want. How can i change this so that it display : On behalf of the GM(the name of the name) thanks On Thu, 18 May 2006 22:56:01 -0700, Craig from Huguenot <CraigfromHuguenot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >I hav exchange 2003 and xp pro clients. The PA has the right to send on >behalf of the GM but in the From: field is showing that the mail comes >directly from her which th...

NEW MESSAGE
On the untitled message form on top and all the way to the right is a search window. I did a search but now the words are still in the search window everytime I want to send an email. How do I delete it? Thank you!!! It should be gone when you restart Outlook. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "lynsuann" <lynsuann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Caonnot get new intsall of Outlook 2003 to open?
New install of Outlook 2003. It tries to configure Outlook. When it does not it say "Your MIcrosoft Exchange Server is unavailabele". I then try to work offline but then it says "unable to open your default e-mail folder. Your profile is not configured". I cannot get into Outlook to make or setup any of the configurations to make the program start. Please help. Thank you. Try the initial configuration from Control Panel, Mail Icon. Install your mail service from there. Make sure you know the Exchange server name (FQDN) and your user profile name/password. -...

OK, I must be retarded or something...
OK, I must be retarded or something. I am having the hardest time setting up POP3 mail for external users. When I do, eithe it halts all mail with no immediate return messages or it only allows delivery from an internal user to an internal user. I obviously do not want to have the relay open. That is understood. Here are the latest sub-genius steps I have done with no avail. Exchange 2003 over 2003 native\native AD domain All done under properties of <Server>\SMTP: 1. Accesss tab, Authentication button. Anonymous unchecked, Basic Authentication checked, and the default domain is listed...

Can't add new record to form
I have 2 tables that are linked. One table holds the Main Data - a collection of cost totals, the second holds additional data about one of the items (a breakdown of one of the cost totals) from the Main Data. I created the main form, then I created the second form and used a command button to open the second form. On historical data this worked perfect. Now I tried to add a new record starting with the main form. When I hit the command button to open the linked form, the form would not open. After that, I then realized that I can't even open the second form by itself and ad...

There must be a way...
Hey All: I've got a quick question that's been bugging me for a while. If I'v got data arranged by columns, but I've written a formula which I wan to drag right (i.e. rearrange the calculated data into rows), then ho can I write a formula so it will just copy over? The problem is that normally when you copy a formula to the right i will increment the column letter by one each time while keep ing th row number referenced in the formula the same. Instead, when I copy i to the right, I want the column letter to remain the same and the ro number referenced in the formula to ...

new series option
Sometimes when I highlight a new series on the spreadsheet and drag it into an existing chart, a pop-up appears giving me various options. Other times, the new data just gets added to an existing series, which is not what I want. How can I either get the pop-up to occur every time, or get the new data to form a new series every time? Thanks for any ideas. The easiest option is to copy the series from the data sheet and then go to the chart and Edit/ Paste Special (rather than dragging) to get the prompt for selecting a new series. -- David Biddulph "Shasbaz" <brunsonl@hotm...

Setting Sale Price for must enter price items
we are having a store wide sale. There are items that you must enter price at pos. When I set a formula (price*.75) these come up as $0.00 even after entering the price. Is there any way around this??? ...

New MSCRM Addon
EBAX is here! I am excited to announce the much anticipated release of Prosoft System’s "EBAX" for Microsoft Dynamics CRM. EBAX is an add-on application created to improve CRM’s efficiency and simplify the process of data input. EBAX takes advantage of the ease and speed of Excel spreadsheets to populate CRM’s data. Now users can enter all and any information into an Excel spreadsheet and with the click of the mouse update this data into CRM! More information on EBAX can be found on our website: http://www.prosoft-sys.com. My name is Brad Nimitz and I am the EBAX Product Man...

new machine
I'm trying to move Money fto a new machine. Has anybody else done this before? What should I consider? Is there a knowledgebase article with instructions? Thanks, Heiko Money the application? Forget it. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=156. Money your data file? Go find your data file and move it. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=68. "Heiko" <Heiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC9F10F8-8B2D-4BD7-B503-7B9DDA7292CD@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to move Money fto a new machine. Has anybody else done this > before? What should I consi...

New Mail Notification, But No New Mail
I have users running Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000 Pro SP4. Suddenly, people are getting new mail notifications, but there is nothing in their Inbox. This is happening to 5-10 users. I have checked to see if they have rules setup. I have also looked to see if the mail is getting caught by the spam filter. Some users even say that they quickly see the message come into their Inbox, but then it dissappears and they don't know where it goes. Any ideas on how I can approach the troubleshooting of this problem? Thanks. ...

must I include stdafx.h?
Hello, I am trying to use a couple files in two different systems, one of which being an MFC project. What is the best way to write a fairly portable cpp file? When I bring a certain cpp file over to my MFC project, it initially will not compile because it doesn't have #include "stdafx.h" at the top. I thought about adding something like this to the top of the file: #if defined(_WINDOWS) #include "stdafx.h" #endif so that MFC would be happy, and my other system would not complain about not being able to find stdafx.h. However, this does not compile either: "f...

Creating a new object
Hello all! Our company is new using CRM customizations. We want to create a custom object (like Account, Product, Opportunity, Lead, etc...). However, we can find no documentation on how to do so. Is it possible to do this, and if so, how would we go about doing it? Also, CRM is being weird as far as the isv.config is concerned. It doesn't seem to be accessing it when it is turned to "On" from the web.config. It was working yesterday before we left, but now it's not working. Any suggestions? Maybe is there somewhere that a path is defined for the isv? Any help would ...

Millions will BUY this if you offer it to them.....
Millions will BUY this if you OFFER it to them... Wouldn't it be great if you could realistically offer a product to anyone in the world aged 16 or over with Internet access?... A product of a kind already purchased by countless millions every week. A product so simple to understand, it virtually sells itself. And what if thousands - maybe hundreds of thousands - jumped at the chance to buy it from you? That should keep your cash-flow streaming and your bank account brimming, right? Okay, so what's the product? Well, lean in, because I want to disclose details of something th...

Add New Record Using Combo Box
I am using 2 different tables: Employee Info and Trip Details. I need to have a blank form open to enter new information, but I would like a combo box to choose the employees name, as there are over 300 employees. Ideally, the first name, last name, and DOB would be populated, but the rest of the information would still be blank to add new data. I could then just hit a button to open the form again to add information about a different employee. I am having a problem doing this and would greatly appreciate if someone could let me know how to accomplish this. Thanks. On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:03...

How can I add the new record from another list to current one?
I receive updated lists from others and have used VLOOKUP to add a "closed date" to an existing record, but I need to know if I can recognize if a completely new record has been added to that list as well. Currently, I just do a side by side comparison and cut & paste when a new line is found. Patty Yes, you can do that with VBA. If your records, new and old, have an identifier such as an account number, serial number, ID, anything, VBA can search the new list for each identifier in the old list, and do whatever you want if a new record is found. If you wa...

New mail automatically sets up a reminder
I had to use the inbox repair tool to reapir my mailbox.pst file because Outlook 2000 said it could not open it. Ever since doing this all of my new mail have instant reminders set up for them. They do not appear on the calendar, but pop up and require me to dismiss, snooze etc. just like a reminder I would of set up on the calendar. They are also displayed normally in my inbox. I can't seem to figure out how to turn this off, and also how this was turned on! Any help woud be appreciated Ken Try starting Outlook once with the /CleanReminders switch. If you need help using Outloo...

new account
I have not used my money account for about 8 months. I want to start completly over. I have tried, by creating a new passport account. Its getting me nowhere. I don't want to delete files one be one. Do I have any options?? All of my account info has changed. In microsoft.public.money, Leah wrote: >I have not used my money account for about 8 months. I >want to start completly over. I have tried, by creating >a new passport account. Its getting me nowhere. I don't >want to delete files one be one. Do I have any >options?? All of my account info has ...

New custom report failing to display
Hi all, I am starting to create new custom reports for the first time. As a test, I have changed the Account Overview report slightly in MS VS 2003. I uploaded the new report to CRM as per the many posts on here. When I run the SUB report from CRM, it runs fine. When I run the main report, I get this error message "Error: Subreport could not be shown." Following the posts here, I set the right data source connection in MS VS 2003. When I run the SUB report from there, again it runs fine. When I run the main report, I get this other error message "The url javascript:void(windo...

CRM 3.0 New Activity Type
We are attempting to customize a CRM 3.0 installation and we need to create a new type of Activity. We need it to have all the elements of the "basic" Activity, but we want our new Activity to be on the menu of Activities once we are done. So, we should be able to select phone, e-mail, fax, letter, etc and then "our" Activity from the menu of choices. Is this possible and if so, wher do we even start? We are a non-programming organization, but we are fairly comfortable with CRM. It has at least been "friendly" to our efforts. Thank you kindly, John Hi Joh...