Missing Newsgroups

I've been using outlook express version 6 (win xp) for years to read the
msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups. I recently noticed that only maybe 5% of
all of the available msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups will display in the
newsgroups dialog.

For example, there are no excel or access newsgroups even listed. Has
microsoft changed something? How can I read the missing msnews.microsoft.com
newsgroups with outlook express 6?

0
scott

scott wrote on Mon, 6 Sep 2010 18:10:33 -0500:
> I've been using outlook express version 6 (win xp) for years to read the
> msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups. I recently noticed that only maybe 5% of
> all of the available msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups will display in the
> newsgroups dialog.
>
> For example, there are no excel or access newsgroups even listed. Has
> microsoft changed something? How can I read the missing msnews.microsoft.com
> newsgroups with outlook express 6?

No! Microsoft are getting rid of all of them by October I believe it is.
But you can use other non-Microsoft news servers and get all of them.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

This WinXP General newsgroup will be dropped from the MS newsservers on 12
Sept-10.

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

You will find continuing support for WinXP in these forums:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

scott wrote:
> I've been using outlook express version 6 (win xp) for years to read the
> msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups. I recently noticed that only maybe 5% of
> all of the available msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups will display in the
> newsgroups dialog.
>
> For example, there are no excel or access newsgroups even listed. Has
> microsoft changed something? How can I read the missing
> msnews.microsoft.com
> newsgroups with outlook express 6?

0
PA
9/6/2010 11:40:36 PM
mark wrote:
> Bill,
> if microsoft is not support its newsgroups by october then how can other non ms servers get the articles?

USENET is a set of peer to peer servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

No server is the "master". When Microsoft disconnects their server, the
other servers can continue to exchange messages as they always
have. There just won't be a web-to-USENET server hosted at
Microsoft, that contributes as many articles to the distribution.

As long as individual USENET server administrators, don't remove
the microsoft.* hierarchy, those groups can function. And using
a news reader (like Forte Agent or Thunderbird), plus a free server
like nntp.aioe.org , will allow you to continue posting articles
to those USENET groups.

http://www.aioe.org/   (no account required, limit on articles posted per day)

As to whether people will use the Microsoft private forum, or
go elsewhere, really depends on whether they're getting the answers
they're looking for. The USENET option is harder to find, and takes
work on the part of the user. It doesn't have an "advertising budget"
as such. And USENET has the advantage, for at least the moment,
that Google archives all the posted articles, so they won't get lost.

    Paul
0
Paul
9/6/2010 11:54:12 PM
scott wrote:

> I've been using outlook express version 6 (win xp) for years to read the
> msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups. I recently noticed that only maybe 5% of
> all of the available msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups will display in the
> newsgroups dialog.
>
> For example, there are no excel or access newsgroups even listed. Has
> microsoft changed something? How can I read the missing msnews.microsoft.com
> newsgroups with outlook express 6?

Microsoft is scrambling away from Usenet.  Microsoft is not Usenet but
just one node in the worldwide mesh network of NNTP servers.  Despite
the departure of Microsoft, Usenet will continue to exist as will the
microsoft.public.* group; however, obviously you need to use a different
node in the Usenet network to get at those groups.  Eventually you won't
even be able to connect to [ms]news.microsoft.com because they'll kill
that server.

NNTP is not an included server in the later versions of Windows Server
(Windows 2003 Server was the last server version of Windows that
included their NNTP server).  Microsoft isn't going to support an OS or
any part of it that is no longer under support.  The rest of us know
that software remains usable for years or even decades after support is
dead or even if its author/owner fades into oblivion.  The NNTP protocol
has changed little (which means it's stable) with some extensions added
back in 2000 but stability isn't what is important to Microsoft.
Microsoft won't support newsgroups because they lost their own NNTP
server in a supported version of their own OS but God forbid they use
anyone else's NNTP server.  It's not Microsoft owned so Microsoft can't
use it.  And Microsoft still trying to convince users not to abandon
Microsoft with a claim that they're embracing open standards.  Uh huh.

Microsoft had no effective control over the content of posts in the
microsoft.public.* groups because, well, it's Usenet and Usenet is an
anarchy.  They could filter out posts submitted to their NNTP server or
peered to them from other NNTP servers but they could do absolutely
nothing about the content in those same newsgroups carried on all the
rest of Usenet.  So Microsoft finds excuses to close a very cheap
communications venue for free peer support and instead pushes their
customers to inane web-based forums lacking a vast number of features
that have been common to newsreaders for over a decade.

Microsoft did give a glancing stab at providing an NNTP-to-webforum
gateway that runs locally on your host (instead on their server to which
you would connect your NNTP server) and there is also a better
"Community" version (somewhere on Sourceforge, I think) but if you try
either then it won't be long until you abandon that access method.
Trying to get articles updated through the NNTP-to-webforum gateway is
extremely slow.  Microsoft's gateway (which itself proclaims that
Microsoft didn't write that program) screwed up the Message-ID header's
value hence the values listed in the References header which led to
threading problems in many if perhaps not all newsreaders.  The
Community version of the gateway fixes that but the excrutianting slow
article retrieval will make you long for the days of 1200 baud dial-up
when downloading e-mail which was far more speedy.  Plus, if you visit
their web-based forums for awhile, you start to realize that the minimal
intelligence needed to configure a newsreader automatically eliminated
some of the severest boobs that still show up in the forums.

Their forums are a mess.  They don't even have features that are typical
in other web-based forums that usually employ phpBB or vBulletin.  Yeah,
I know, those aren't Microsoft products either and why Microsoft will
refuse to use them.
0
VanguardLH
> [...]
> Microsoft didn't write that program) screwed up the Message-ID header's
> value hence the values listed in the References header which led to
> threading problems in many if perhaps not all newsreaders.  The
> Community version of the gateway fixes that but the excrutianting slow
> article retrieval will make you long for the days of 1200 baud dial-up
> when downloading e-mail which was far more speedy.  Plus, if you visit
> their web-based forums for awhile, you start to realize that the minimal
> intelligence needed to configure a newsreader automatically eliminated
> some of the severest boobs that still show up in the forums.
>
> Their forums are a mess.  They don't even have features that are typical
> in other web-based forums that usually employ phpBB or vBulletin.  Yeah,
> I know, those aren't Microsoft products either and why Microsoft will

Well put.

Web based forums are just a plain pain in the arse.

Thanks Micro$oft.

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:i63uv4$qhp$1@speranza.aioe.org...
> As to whether people will use the Microsoft private forum, or
> go elsewhere, really depends on whether they're getting the answers
> they're looking for. The USENET option is harder to find, and takes
> work on the part of the user. It doesn't have an "advertising budget"
> as such. And USENET has the advantage, for at least the moment,
> that Google archives all the posted articles, so they won't get lost.

Usenet will be around long after Microsoft is a distant memory.

0
nospam
9/7/2010 10:05:26 PM
On 9/6/2010 6:21 PM, BillW50 wrote:
> scott wrote on Mon, 6 Sep 2010 18:10:33 -0500:
>> I've been using outlook express version 6 (win xp) for years to read
>> the msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups. I recently noticed that only
>> maybe 5% of all of the available msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups will
>> display in the newsgroups dialog.
>>
>> For example, there are no excel or access newsgroups even listed. Has
>> microsoft changed something? How can I read the missing
>> msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups with outlook express 6?
>
> No! Microsoft are getting rid of all of them by October I believe it is.
> But you can use other non-Microsoft news servers and get all of them.

Not that there would be any point... I know this and the Vista group are
gone as of the 12th. The server is gone as of the 1st of Oct. This has
only been discussed a billion times, perhaps you would be better served
by the new MS forums where no one bothers to look up anything and wants
everything spoon fed to them even if its been answered 20 times in the
past day.

0
milt
9/8/2010 2:53:22 AM
On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:53:22 -0500, milt
<theatreguy_dunspam_@miltsweb.com> wrote:

>On 9/6/2010 6:21 PM, BillW50 wrote:
>> scott wrote on Mon, 6 Sep 2010 18:10:33 -0500:
>>> I've been using outlook express version 6 (win xp) for years to read
>>> the msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups. I recently noticed that only
>>> maybe 5% of all of the available msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups will
>>> display in the newsgroups dialog.
>>>
>>> For example, there are no excel or access newsgroups even listed. Has
>>> microsoft changed something? How can I read the missing
>>> msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups with outlook express 6?
>>
>> No! Microsoft are getting rid of all of them by October I believe it is.
>> But you can use other non-Microsoft news servers and get all of them.
>>

>Not that there would be any point... I know this and the Vista group are
>gone as of the 12th. The server is gone as of the 1st of Oct.

The *Microsoft* server will be gone, but the other news servers will
still be carrying the same groups.

They won't be "msnews.microsoft.com" groups, but they will be the
*same* groups, the very same groups, with many or most of the same
people.

I've never read any of these groups from the micorsoft news server, so
I don't even have to change the server name in my newsreader.

In adddition there are other good newsgroups that cover the same
subjects, in the alt.comp.* series of groups, for example, and
alt.sys.* and comp.*

I'm certainly not going to move to any web lists.  They are
inconvenient to say the least.

>This has
>only been discussed a billion times, perhaps you would be better served
>by the new MS forums where no one bothers to look up anything and wants
>everything spoon fed to them even if its been answered 20 times in the
>past day.

Two more reasons not to go there.

0
mm
9/8/2010 5:22:07 AM
On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 16:38:38 -0700, mark <user@msgroups.net/> wrote:

>Bill,
>if microsoft is not support its newsgroups by october then how can other non ms servers get the articles?

Microsoft support is not needed.   The other servers will get articles
when people using the other servers post them, just like now.

No offense but it it's sort of like asking, We used to have 8 cars
taking people to the baseball game and now we have only 7.  How will
we get there?

0
mm
9/8/2010 5:24:31 AM
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 15:05:26 -0700, <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:i63uv4$qhp$1@speranza.aioe.org...
>> As to whether people will use the Microsoft private forum, or
>> go elsewhere, really depends on whether they're getting the answers
>> they're looking for. The USENET option is harder to find, and takes
>> work on the part of the user. It doesn't have an "advertising budget"
>> as such. And USENET has the advantage, for at least the moment,
>> that Google archives all the posted articles, so they won't get lost.
>
>Usenet will be around long after Microsoft is a distant memory.

I think so,

And it's not just free news servers, but there are paid news servers
for 3 to ?10? dollars a month, that have in many cases longer
retention times, or have binaries (which I have no use for.)

0
mm
9/8/2010 5:26:46 AM
On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 19:40:36 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>The OE newsgroups & many others were dropped from the MS newsservers in
>early July 2010; cf.
>http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/msg/e6e22fe7bc8b1f04
>
>This WinXP General newsgroup will be dropped from the MS newsservers on 12
>Sept-10.
>
>Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities:
>http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
>You will find continuing support for WinXP in these forums:
>http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

And you will find continuing support right here
on microsoft.public.windowsxp.general .

But you'll have to use a different newsserver from the MS server.
0
mm
9/8/2010 5:28:22 AM
On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 21:17:08 -0700, "W****n S."
<Thisisnotreal@guess.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> Microsoft didn't write that program) screwed up the Message-ID header's
>> value hence the values listed in the References header which led to
>> threading problems in many if perhaps not all newsreaders.  The
>> Community version of the gateway fixes that but the excrutianting slow
>> article retrieval will make you long for the days of 1200 baud dial-up
>> when downloading e-mail which was far more speedy.  Plus, if you visit
>> their web-based forums for awhile, you start to realize that the minimal
>> intelligence needed to configure a newsreader automatically eliminated
>> some of the severest boobs that still show up in the forums.
>>
>> Their forums are a mess.  They don't even have features that are typical
>> in other web-based forums that usually employ phpBB or vBulletin.  Yeah,
>> I know, those aren't Microsoft products either and why Microsoft will

Yes it was.

>Web based forums are just a plain pain in the arse.

Yes they are.

BTW, mozilla may not broadcast its newsgroups, or whatever it's called
to let other servers carry them.  But mozzilla has 45 mozilla
newsgroups , related to firefox, Netscape, Thunderbird and maybe other
stuff, on its own news server,  news.mozilla.org iirc.  Many/most
computer programs to read news allow one to use more than one news
server at the same time, so you do have to put in another entry for
servers, but there's no charge, and the ARE newsgroups, with all the
advantages of newsgroups.  Although there are 45 ngs, 3 of them will
get most of the business.)

>Thanks Micro$oft.

UGH.

0
mm
9/8/2010 5:36:58 AM
> only been discussed a billion times, perhaps you would be better served by
> the new MS forums where no one bothers to look up anything and wants
> everything spoon fed to them even if its been answered 20 times in the
> past day.

That's the way it's always been, even in the NNTP MS newsgroups.

0
Klaatu
9/8/2010 12:49:49 PM

> And you will find continuing support right here
> on microsoft.public.windowsxp.general .

You still don't get it, HoopleHead.

0
Klaatu
9/8/2010 12:50:39 PM
"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 16:38:38 -0700, mark <user@msgroups.net/> wrote:
>
>>Bill,
>>if microsoft is not support its newsgroups by october then how can other
>>non ms servers get the articles?
>
> Microsoft support is not needed.   The other servers will get articles
> when people using the other servers post them, just like now.
>
> No offense but it it's sort of like asking, We used to have 8 cars
> taking people to the baseball game and now we have only 7.  How will
> we get there?

0
ctowers
9/9/2010 1:51:19 AM
mm wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 mark wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>> if microsoft is not support its newsgroups by october then how can
>> other non ms servers get the articles?
>
> Microsoft support is not needed.   The other servers will get articles
> when people using the other servers post them, just like now.
>
> No offense but it it's sort of like asking, We used to have 8 cars
> taking people to the baseball game and now we have only 7.  How will
> we get there?

I am beginning to think the /innocent/ and /inexperienced/ questioners are
really Microsoft shills using incessant repetitive questions to instill
gloom and doom into newsgroup advocates.

0
ctowers
9/9/2010 3:01:45 AM
It's really sad.....

Because of M$'s decision to close the Groups, I added the following to my
OE :

(nntp.aioe.org)
alt.msdos.batch
alt.windows-xp

....the sadness comes when a whole day can go by without anything new being
posted to them!!

Wasted resources.......

==

Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)

"scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com> wrote in message
> I've been using outlook express version 6 (win xp) for years to read the
> msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups. I recently noticed that only maybe 5% of
> all of the available msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups will display in the
> newsgroups dialog.
>
> For example, there are no excel or access newsgroups even listed. Has
> microsoft changed something? How can I read the missing
> msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups with outlook express 6?

0
Tim
9/9/2010 11:42:58 AM
Microsoft's waste bathwater has a lot of babies in it.

steve

"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick@o2.co.uk> wrote in message =
> It's really sad.....
>=20
> Because of M$'s decision to close the Groups, I added the following to =
my=20
> OE :
>=20
> (nntp.aioe.org)
> alt.msdos.batch
> alt.windows-xp
>=20
> ...the sadness comes when a whole day can go by without anything new =
being=20
> posted to them!!
>=20
> Wasted resources.......
>=20
> =3D=3D
>=20
> Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> "scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com> wrote in message=20
>> I've been using outlook express version 6 (win xp) for years to read =
the=20
>> msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups. I recently noticed that only maybe =
5% of=20
>> all of the available msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups will display in =
the=20
>> newsgroups dialog.
>>
>> For example, there are no excel or access newsgroups even listed. Has =

>> microsoft changed something? How can I read the missing=20
>> msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups with outlook express 6?
>>=20

0
Steve
9/10/2010 12:27:36 PM
You'll find the "babies" are over on "google groups".

Steve Cochran wrote:

> Microsoft's waste bathwater has a lot of babies in it.
>
> steve
>
> "Tim Meddick" <timmeddick@o2.co.uk> wrote in message news:OO6zrQBULHA.5912@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
>>It's really sad.....
>>
>>Because of M$'s decision to close the Groups, I added the following to my
>>OE :
>>
>>(nntp.aioe.org)
>>alt.msdos.batch
>>alt.windows-xp
>>
>>...the sadness comes when a whole day can go by without anything new being
>>posted to them!!
>>
>>Wasted resources.......
>>
>>==
>>
>>Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>>

>>"scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've been using outlook express version 6 (win xp) for years to read the
>>>msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups. I recently noticed that only maybe 5% of
>>>all of the available msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups will display in the
>>>newsgroups dialog.
>>>
>>>For example, there are no excel or access newsgroups even listed. Has
>>>microsoft changed something? How can I read the missing
>>>msnews.microsoft.com newsgroups with outlook express 6?

0
Bob
9/10/2010 12:33:40 PM
Well this "baby" aint....

==

> You'll find the "babies" are over on "google groups".
>
> Steve Cochran wrote:
>
>> Microsoft's waste bathwater has a lot of babies in it.
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "Tim Meddick" <timmeddick@o2.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>It's really sad.....
>>>
>>>Because of M$'s decision to close the Groups, I added the following to
>>>my OE :
>>>
>>>(nntp.aioe.org)
>>>alt.msdos.batch
>>>alt.windows-xp
>>>
>>>...the sadness comes when a whole day can go by without anything new
>>>being posted to them!!
>>>
>>>Wasted resources.......
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>>>

>>>"scott" <sbailey@mileslumber.com> wrote in message

0
Tim
9/12/2010 10:57:30 PM

Tim Meddick wrote:
> It's really sad.....
>
> Because of M$'s decision to close the Groups, I added the following to
> my OE :
>
> (nntp.aioe.org)
> alt.msdos.batch
> alt.windows-xp

This is a very stupid thing to do because nutters like you don't get the
  cryptic message from Redmond (WA 98052-6399) that they don't want
idiots like you or Pig-Bear posting any solutions to Microsoft's own
applications.  They have their own staff to do this.  No wonder they
hang around on Forums to give real life working solutions to by pass
nutters like you.

Peckham boy - learn a thing or two and don't remain a stupid fat boy.

0
Tester
9/13/2010 1:03:27 AM
You show your ignorance, presuming to describe with such authority,
somebody whom you do not know in the least.

When I give advice in this forum, for whatever time is now left to it, I do
so knowing my limitations, and make no secret of the fact that I am no
expert, just an enthusiast.

I believe I have been of some help here, even in threads where Microsoft
MVPs have been involved, but even they don't "hit the right spot" on
occasion - they are not "gods" (as I'm sure they will admit) !!

Plus, I have been giving advice (only on matters that are within my
experience, I hasten to add), here for around the past two years, and this
is the FIRST time I've seen a poster that goes by the name of "Tester" !!

==

God bless you (you need it),    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-(

"Tester" <testing@msnews.com> wrote in message

> Tim Meddick wrote:
>> It's really sad.....
>>
>> Because of M$'s decision to close the Groups, I added the following to
>> my OE :
>>
>> (nntp.aioe.org)
>> alt.msdos.batch
>> alt.windows-xp
>>

> This is a very stupid thing to do because nutters like you don't get the
> cryptic message from Redmond (WA 98052-6399) that they don't want idiots
> like you or Pig-Bear posting any solutions to Microsoft's own
> applications.  They have their own staff to do this.  No wonder they hang
> around on Forums to give real life working solutions to by pass nutters
> like you.
>
> Peckham boy - learn a thing or two and don't remain a stupid fat boy.

0
Tim
9/13/2010 1:47:37 AM
P.S.  I correct myself;

Having conducted a search (in OE) for the sender's name: "Tester".  - It
came back with five responses by yourself since February of this year.

And, IMHO your own advice leaves a lot to be desired....

==

Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)

0
Tim

Missing files

Outlook 2007 Missing Mail

Missing Emails #2
From time to time my users report that so-and-so sent them an email but they never got it. Last night my VP sent 2 emails from home and never got them. 1. We have Exchange 2000 server, all clients are Outlook 2. We have Symantec anti-virus for exchange server now I have checked the following: 1. in the Exchange logs [reading them in Excel] I can see the 2 messages arrive and seem to process normally -- HELO,MAIL, RCPT, DATA, QUIT are the 5 lines in the log; the datum on the HELO record says =+sccrmhc13.comcast.net. the Quit record as cs-uri-query of 240. 2. I have searched through...

Missing Folders after Sync

Bin Transfer Entry window missing

Missing Fonts in Word Art

Missing Message Text

HI, Please be patient as the story is long: I migrated my users from a workgroup to a Client/Server network about a month ago. A network using Windows 2000 active Directory. All the clients workstations are Wondows 2000 professional. Before migration, I exported the emails, etc. to a .pst file and after migration imported the same file and all was fine. Last over the weekend our Active Directory server crashed by a Virus supposedly and we had to rebuil the servers, and couldn't have the users logon on to the network to the export/import scenarion again. After the server were re...

Missing Sata Sources
Hi there When I click Data, Get External Data, New Database Query..., there are no data sources listed in the Database list under <New Data Source>. Even the defaults e.g. dBase Files, Microsoft Access Database, Excel Files, etc are not listed. I am using Windows XP Professional with Office 2000. How can I fix this? Thanks Michael ...

What am I missing?
Have PC. Onlyprofile on it is administrator.Me. What am I missing on System Restore. There are partitions that I do not need,or want, for System restore to monitor. But "Drive Settings" in 'System Properties/System Restore' the choices are greyed out. ie; Turn off System Restore(disable by Group Policy) and Turn off System restore on this drive in Drive Settings. I have checked in services in administratyive tools. Botj System restore and RPC and started and on auto. Maybe one could show me what I'm missing. I'm getting too old to remember this stuff...

RMA ( Credit) Missing Line Items

Windows 7 Newsgroups
Hi: Can anyone tell me why Microsoft has not established Windows 7 Newsgroups? Where is everyone going for public support for it? Thanks, ColTom2 "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message news:ONfQKFjZKHA.4920@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi: > > Can anyone tell me why Microsoft has not established Windows 7 > Newsgroups? No (except for some guesses). > Where is everyone going for public support for it? There is a respective forum and I don't have the link for it, but it has been mentioned many times befor...

Missing .dll on opening
Upon opening Outlook 2002 I get a message that I am missing MociExt.dll but I cannot get it to reload during any sort of fix or reinstall of Outlook. Any ideas? This started occuring after a recent update I did to Office. John, I don't believe that's a file installed by Office/Outlook. So, my guess is that you have an Outlook add-in that's causing this problem. Please do the following steps to confirm this assumption: 1. Exit Outlook. 2. Press and hold the CTRL key as you launch Outlook. 3. When prompted to start in Safe mode click Yes. Does the error occur? If not, please...

Windows XP Home Edition Config\System Missing
Hi: My 15 year-old daughter has a Gateway system that is 4 years old, running XP Home. Today she encountered a black screen on start-up that essentially states Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG. We can't find the Operating System CD for Windows XP Home, and my XP Professional OS disc I read cannot be used instead. I have a read a resolution that requires ijnsertion of the OS XP Home disc; boot from CD; Windows set-up initializes and press "R" to repair recovery console; hard drive is examined; pe...

Scanpst missing
Outlook says there is problem with c:\users\xxx\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst and to run scanpst.exe. I have Vista and after searching computer cannot find the file. Is there a way to download this file? My computer is french so I don't always knowthe translations It's there. Are you using 64bit vista? if so, office is in the 32 bit programs file. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/scanpst.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook T...

Font missing
I created a document in Publisher and printed it. Opened document a week later and received 'font missing' error message. In the Format...Font dialong box the font's name is there with the word (missing) next to it. Where did it go? Are you using a font manager? Maybe the link was broken. Do you have the font somewhere else on your computer? If so install/re-install it. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9390E623-E0FE-498A-AA6...

IMF Console missing??
Hello i just have one question , simple i hope! I use my pc (windows xp pro SP2) with a custom console to administer my domain , exchange , dns , etc... Everything is working fine. Last month i installed on my exchange , the IMF from microsoft. When i am logging on to my exchange machine localy or through RDC i can see in exchange system manager below SMTP ,the IMF icon and i am able to change setting install filters and so on... When i open my console from my pc and use exchange system manager console (i have installed exchange management tools and sp1) i cannot see IMF icon below SMTP Vitu...

Micorsoft is going to stop MS newsgroups
No, no joke: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx Seems that Micro$oft does want more control on what we can do and write ... so all is going to based on their sites and they going to close their Usenet groups. Well, going to their "support" is not for me. I do not trust them one bit!!! I refuse to fall for that f***ng rage of MS to get more and more control on what it's users can and may do!! Hi Menno, Hopefully we can come up with something else. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messen...

Missing Email #4
I am running a 2003 exchange server and one of my users sayes he isn't getting some mail that people say they are sending him. There is a mailbox listed in mailboxes called "Systemmailbox - {GIUD}" there are items listed in there. Could this be the missing mail? And is there anyway to see what these items are. Thanks for any help Damian It won't be in the System Mailbox. The System Mailbox contains schema information. There's generally no reason to ever need to access it unless PSS is instructing you to. As far as your user, make sure that you have message t...

Toolbars Missing, And option to Add Missing
Hi, My Problem is that my normal 'Formatting' toolbar is missing. When I right click on the 'Standard' toolbar to add/view the 'Formatting' the only options i have is: 'Task Pane' & 'Customize'. In 'Customize' the only tool bars listed is the 'Task Pane' & 'Work Sheet Menu Bar' Anyone know how to resolve my Problem... Please Pull-down View > Toolbars There should be about 15 bars listed. if not then select Customize > Toolbars and then push the reset button. -- Gary''s Student "SmeetaG"...

debugging missing images in a CTreeCtrl
Hello, I am having some difficulty trying to debug some missing images in a CTreeCtrl. Essentially, I subclass CDialog and have a CTreeCtrl and CImageList as data members. The CTreeCtrl is supposed to be an expandable tree with each item containing a standard checkbox and a 16x16 solid icon. The problem is that the icons are not showing up at all. I'm wondering where is a good point to start debugging the missing icon images? Things I have verified: 1. The image list is valid and is set as the TVSIL_NORMAL image list for the CTreeCtrl. 2. The bitmaps within the image list are valid (I o...

Missing PB Updates?
Hi, When I check this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsembedded/ce/dd430902.aspx for PB 5.0 updates only the July monthly is listed. But I read somewhere else that there was a September update, which I actually found. Is there also an August release for PB 5.0 and is there another place where the updates are listed? Thanks, Jojje I just saw that there is a potential problem with netowrk in the September update. Is this the reason that it is not listed in the updates site. Regards, Jojje On 9 Nov, 10:16, Jojje <jojje.an...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi,...

Sent Messages Missing
Yesterday, suddenly, all my previously sent messages disappeared from the "Sent Items" folder. To make things ever worse, the messages which I have sent since yesterday are not showing up in the "Sent Items" folder? The messages were received by the recipients! Under the Tools - Option ... Email Options, the "Save copies of message in Sent Items folder" option is checked. What could have been inadvertently changed to cause this? -- Basharat Javaid. Are you sure your view is set correctly? (not set to display only unread items for instance) -- Roady [MV...

Gridlines ok in Excel but linked powerpoint- lines are missing
I have several charts that look just fine in Excel (2003). I have the graphs linked to a powerpoint presentation. In Powerpoint, which major axis gridlines show - up seem random. I have tried resizing the graph. That gets a different subset of gridlines. I want all the gridlines to show-up in the powerpoint presentation. I have deleted and relinked the charts. Linking is a different animal than just pasting as a picture, but I know the latter approach gives unreliable results if (a) gridlines are formatted as hairlines and (b) the chart is not scaled at 100% of its size in Excel. - Jon...

miss configured outlook
I just installed outlook 2000 the user tried to configure it. they selected internet connection. To change the installation type from IMO to CW, follow these steps: 1.. On the Tools menu, click Options. 2.. On the Mail Delivery Tab, click Reconfigure Mail Support. 3.. On the E-mail Service Options page, click to select the mail support option you are switching to. Click Next. 4.. Read the warning message and then click Yes. Outlook will close. 5.. Start Outlook. The Windows Installer will start and install the required files. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook...