Memory usage in XP (memory leak detection)

Hi

How can I found out the memory usage on XP ?  My XP box uses over a week all 
memory and then has no resources available.  It has 4GB memory (3.5 GB free)

I used typeperf with the following:

\Memory\Available Bytes
\Memory\Committed Bytes
\Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
\Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
\Memory\Cache Bytes
\Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
\Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
\Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
\Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
\Process(_total)\Working Set
\Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
\Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
\Process(_total)\Private Bytes
\Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
\Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
\Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
\Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
\Process(_total)\Handle Count

But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes, 
\Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes value by 1 
GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.

What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?

Thank you
Markus


0
Markus
8/6/2010 9:01:22 AM
windowsxp.general 3897 articles. 1 followers. Follow

14 Replies
3283 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

"Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message 
news:AD63D158-331C-4CD0-94B8-09684987910A@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> How can I found out the memory usage on XP ?  My XP box uses over a week 
> all memory and then has no resources available.  It has 4GB memory (3.5 GB 
> free)
>
> I used typeperf with the following:
>
> \Memory\Available Bytes
> \Memory\Committed Bytes
> \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
> \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
> \Memory\Cache Bytes
> \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
> \Process(_total)\Working Set
> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Private Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
> \Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
> \Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
> \Process(_total)\Handle Count
>
> But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes, 
> \Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes value by 1 
> GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.
>
> What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?
>
> Thank you
> Markus
>

The Task Manager will tell you. Just click the Processes tab, then click on 
the Memory column header so that the entries are sorted by memory usage. You 
also need to click the box "Show processes for all users" at the bottom. 

0
Pegasus
8/6/2010 9:30:50 AM
But the result is the same. If I add all memory used by the processes it is 
less than the total used. I get  1688344 Kbytes from the taskmanager and 
committed are 2683666 Kbytes. Where does the rest (> 1GB) go ?

Markus


"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:OTAaToUNLHA.4968@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> "Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message 
> news:AD63D158-331C-4CD0-94B8-09684987910A@microsoft.com...
>> Hi
>>
>> How can I found out the memory usage on XP ?  My XP box uses over a week 
>> all memory and then has no resources available.  It has 4GB memory (3.5 
>> GB free)
>>
>> I used typeperf with the following:
>>
>> \Memory\Available Bytes
>> \Memory\Committed Bytes
>> \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
>> \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>> \Memory\Cache Bytes
>> \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
>> \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
>> \Process(_total)\Working Set
>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
>> \Process(_total)\Private Bytes
>> \Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
>> \Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>> \Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
>> \Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
>> \Process(_total)\Handle Count
>>
>> But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes, 
>> \Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes value by 
>> 1 GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.
>>
>> What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?
>>
>> Thank you
>> Markus
>>
>
> The Task Manager will tell you. Just click the Processes tab, then click 
> on the Memory column header so that the entries are sorted by memory 
> usage. You also need to click the box "Show processes for all users" at 
> the bottom. 

0
Markus
8/6/2010 10:41:53 AM
I have a feeling that we may be chasing a non existent problem... The 
Task Manager's Commit counters are Virtual Memory counters and they can 
be quite misleading.

John

Markus Moeller wrote:
> But the result is the same. If I add all memory used by the processes it 
> is less than the total used. I get  1688344 Kbytes from the taskmanager 
> and committed are 2683666 Kbytes. Where does the rest (> 1GB) go ?
> 
> Markus
> 
> 
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:OTAaToUNLHA.4968@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> "Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message 
>> news:AD63D158-331C-4CD0-94B8-09684987910A@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> How can I found out the memory usage on XP ?  My XP box uses over a 
>>> week all memory and then has no resources available.  It has 4GB 
>>> memory (3.5 GB free)
>>>
>>> I used typeperf with the following:
>>>
>>> \Memory\Available Bytes
>>> \Memory\Committed Bytes
>>> \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
>>> \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes
>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set
>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
>>> \Process(_total)\Private Bytes
>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
>>> \Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
>>> \Process(_total)\Handle Count
>>>
>>> But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes, 
>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes value 
>>> by 1 GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.
>>>
>>> What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Markus
>>>
>>
>> The Task Manager will tell you. Just click the Processes tab, then 
>> click on the Memory column header so that the entries are sorted by 
>> memory usage. You also need to click the box "Show processes for all 
>> users" at the bottom. 
> 
0
John
8/6/2010 11:15:35 AM
Maybe it is my wording or misunderstanding.  When I open the task manager I 
see Total and Available memory and the difference is Committed memory and 
always < Total Memory or ?  But when I add up the Memory Usage( = Working 
set ?)  of all processes in the tasklist I get  after a week or so 1GB less 
then the committed memory and have to reboot. When I boot up the memory 
usage sum and committed memory is about the same.

Markus

"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message 
news:OJqJwiVNLHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I have a feeling that we may be chasing a non existent problem... The Task 
>Manager's Commit counters are Virtual Memory counters and they can be quite 
>misleading.
>
> John
>
> Markus Moeller wrote:
>> But the result is the same. If I add all memory used by the processes it 
>> is less than the total used. I get  1688344 Kbytes from the taskmanager 
>> and committed are 2683666 Kbytes. Where does the rest (> 1GB) go ?
>>
>> Markus
>>
>>
>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>> news:OTAaToUNLHA.4968@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> "Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:AD63D158-331C-4CD0-94B8-09684987910A@microsoft.com...
>>>> Hi
>>>>
>>>> How can I found out the memory usage on XP ?  My XP box uses over a 
>>>> week all memory and then has no resources available.  It has 4GB memory 
>>>> (3.5 GB free)
>>>>
>>>> I used typeperf with the following:
>>>>
>>>> \Memory\Available Bytes
>>>> \Memory\Committed Bytes
>>>> \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
>>>> \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes
>>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
>>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
>>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set
>>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
>>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
>>>> \Process(_total)\Private Bytes
>>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
>>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
>>>> \Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
>>>> \Process(_total)\Handle Count
>>>>
>>>> But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes, 
>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes value 
>>>> by 1 GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.
>>>>
>>>> What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?
>>>>
>>>> Thank you
>>>> Markus
>>>>
>>>
>>> The Task Manager will tell you. Just click the Processes tab, then click 
>>> on the Memory column header so that the entries are sorted by memory 
>>> usage. You also need to click the box "Show processes for all users" at 
>>> the bottom.
>> 

0
Markus
8/6/2010 1:08:09 PM

"Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message 
news:4B36629B-EDB1-4807-8297-AB985A9206DA@microsoft.com...
> But the result is the same. If I add all memory used by the processes it 
> is less than the total used. I get  1688344 Kbytes from the taskmanager 
> and committed are 2683666 Kbytes. Where does the rest (> 1GB) go ?
>
> Markus

If you have a memory leak then one the programs in list will consume 
increasing amounts of memory. Take a snapshot in Task Manager twice a day, 
then compare the figures. If they remain much the same then you do not have 
a memory leak. 

0
Pegasus
8/6/2010 1:23:44 PM
Markus Moeller wrote:

> Maybe it is my wording or misunderstanding.  When I open the task 
> manager I see Total and Available memory

This is the 'physical memory' (RAM) usage.


> and the difference is Committed 
> memory 

This is 'virtual memory' (not RAM) usage but the figures can be 
completely misleading because all virtual memory allocation, whether 
used or not, 'maps' through the page file, this is sort of a trick that 
Windows uses to give the illusion of nearly unlimited available memory 
to applications.  This (Commit Charge) is pagefile 'backed' memory but 
as long as there is available physical memory (RAM) the pagefile is not 
necessarily used for anything other than virtual memory mapping.

Only if the pagefile itself (not the commit charge) is actually growing 
can you suspect a memory leak by an application, this is called a "Paged 
Pool" leak, usually one will notice the increased pagefile usage with an 
increasing sluggishness of the machine.  As the application 'leaks' or 
consumes more memory Windows pages out RAM pages to the Pagefile, hence 
the name, a "Paged Pool" leak, the memory leaks to the pagefile.  You 
can monitor the pagefile with the corresponding Perfmon counter or you 
can use Doug Knox's PageFileMon utility: 
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm

By contrast "Non Paged Pool" leaks occur in areas of memory which cannot 
be paged out so these leaks consume an increasing amount of RAM without 
any increase in the size of the pagefile.  These leaks are quite 
serious, most often they are caused by buggy drivers and they eventually 
cripple the machine and cause it to hang completely, fortunately these 
leaks are rather rare.


> and always < Total Memory or ?  But when I add up the Memory 
> Usage( = Working set ?)  of all processes in the tasklist I get  after a 
> week or so 1GB less then the committed memory and have to reboot.

Why do you have to reboot?  Does the machine become sluggish or 
unresponsive?  Or are you rebooting just for the sake of seeing the 
Commit Charge come down?


> When I 
> boot up the memory usage sum and committed memory is about the same.

You have to understand the concept of Virtual Memory and how it differs 
from actual physical memory to get a grasp on these Task Manager figures.

John


> Markus
> 
> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message 
> news:OJqJwiVNLHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> I have a feeling that we may be chasing a non existent problem... The 
>> Task Manager's Commit counters are Virtual Memory counters and they 
>> can be quite misleading.
>>
>> John
>>
>> Markus Moeller wrote:
>>> But the result is the same. If I add all memory used by the processes 
>>> it is less than the total used. I get  1688344 Kbytes from the 
>>> taskmanager and committed are 2683666 Kbytes. Where does the rest (> 
>>> 1GB) go ?
>>>
>>> Markus
>>>
>>>
>>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:OTAaToUNLHA.4968@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>> "Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:AD63D158-331C-4CD0-94B8-09684987910A@microsoft.com...
>>>>> Hi
>>>>>
>>>>> How can I found out the memory usage on XP ?  My XP box uses over a 
>>>>> week all memory and then has no resources available.  It has 4GB 
>>>>> memory (3.5 GB free)
>>>>>
>>>>> I used typeperf with the following:
>>>>>
>>>>> \Memory\Available Bytes
>>>>> \Memory\Committed Bytes
>>>>> \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
>>>>> \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes
>>>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Private Bytes
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Handle Count
>>>>>
>>>>> But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes, 
>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes 
>>>>> value by 1 GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.
>>>>>
>>>>> What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you
>>>>> Markus
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The Task Manager will tell you. Just click the Processes tab, then 
>>>> click on the Memory column header so that the entries are sorted by 
>>>> memory usage. You also need to click the box "Show processes for all 
>>>> users" at the bottom.
>>>
> 
0
John
8/6/2010 2:27:27 PM
Hi John,

  Thank you for the good explanation, which I have to digest now ;-)  I have 
to reboot the machine as I get errors of no resource available and scheduled 
jobs don't run anymore ( I have to delete the keys in 
...\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18\* as they got corrupted), application have issues and 
it coincides that my available physical memory goes to zero.

Markus

"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message 
news:%23rpr9NXNLHA.5624@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Markus Moeller wrote:
>
>> Maybe it is my wording or misunderstanding.  When I open the task manager 
>> I see Total and Available memory
>
> This is the 'physical memory' (RAM) usage.
>
>
>> and the difference is Committed memory
>
> This is 'virtual memory' (not RAM) usage but the figures can be completely 
> misleading because all virtual memory allocation, whether used or not, 
> 'maps' through the page file, this is sort of a trick that Windows uses to 
> give the illusion of nearly unlimited available memory to applications. 
> This (Commit Charge) is pagefile 'backed' memory but as long as there is 
> available physical memory (RAM) the pagefile is not necessarily used for 
> anything other than virtual memory mapping.
>
> Only if the pagefile itself (not the commit charge) is actually growing 
> can you suspect a memory leak by an application, this is called a "Paged 
> Pool" leak, usually one will notice the increased pagefile usage with an 
> increasing sluggishness of the machine.  As the application 'leaks' or 
> consumes more memory Windows pages out RAM pages to the Pagefile, hence 
> the name, a "Paged Pool" leak, the memory leaks to the pagefile.  You can 
> monitor the pagefile with the corresponding Perfmon counter or you can use 
> Doug Knox's PageFileMon utility: 
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm
>
> By contrast "Non Paged Pool" leaks occur in areas of memory which cannot 
> be paged out so these leaks consume an increasing amount of RAM without 
> any increase in the size of the pagefile.  These leaks are quite serious, 
> most often they are caused by buggy drivers and they eventually cripple 
> the machine and cause it to hang completely, fortunately these leaks are 
> rather rare.
>
>
>> and always < Total Memory or ?  But when I add up the Memory Usage( = 
>> Working set ?)  of all processes in the tasklist I get  after a week or 
>> so 1GB less then the committed memory and have to reboot.
>
> Why do you have to reboot?  Does the machine become sluggish or 
> unresponsive?  Or are you rebooting just for the sake of seeing the Commit 
> Charge come down?
>
>
>> When I boot up the memory usage sum and committed memory is about the 
>> same.
>
> You have to understand the concept of Virtual Memory and how it differs 
> from actual physical memory to get a grasp on these Task Manager figures.
>
> John
>
>
>> Markus
>>
>> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message 
>> news:OJqJwiVNLHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> I have a feeling that we may be chasing a non existent problem... The 
>>> Task Manager's Commit counters are Virtual Memory counters and they can 
>>> be quite misleading.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>>> Markus Moeller wrote:
>>>> But the result is the same. If I add all memory used by the processes 
>>>> it is less than the total used. I get  1688344 Kbytes from the 
>>>> taskmanager and committed are 2683666 Kbytes. Where does the rest (> 
>>>> 1GB) go ?
>>>>
>>>> Markus
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:OTAaToUNLHA.4968@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>> "Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message 
>>>>> news:AD63D158-331C-4CD0-94B8-09684987910A@microsoft.com...
>>>>>> Hi
>>>>>>
>>>>>> How can I found out the memory usage on XP ?  My XP box uses over a 
>>>>>> week all memory and then has no resources available.  It has 4GB 
>>>>>> memory (3.5 GB free)
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I used typeperf with the following:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> \Memory\Available Bytes
>>>>>> \Memory\Committed Bytes
>>>>>> \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
>>>>>> \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>>>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes
>>>>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Private Bytes
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Handle Count
>>>>>>
>>>>>> But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes, 
>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes value 
>>>>>> by 1 GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thank you
>>>>>> Markus
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> The Task Manager will tell you. Just click the Processes tab, then 
>>>>> click on the Memory column header so that the entries are sorted by 
>>>>> memory usage. You also need to click the box "Show processes for all 
>>>>> users" at the bottom.
>>>>
>> 

0
Markus
8/6/2010 2:40:59 PM
It might help if you post the error message verbatim.  Also look in the 
Event Viewer log for clues.

John

Markus Moeller wrote:
> Hi John,
> 
>  Thank you for the good explanation, which I have to digest now ;-)  I 
> have to reboot the machine as I get errors of no resource available and 
> scheduled jobs don't run anymore ( I have to delete the keys in 
> ..\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18\* as they got corrupted), application have issues 
> and it coincides that my available physical memory goes to zero.
> 
> Markus
> 
> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message 
> news:%23rpr9NXNLHA.5624@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Markus Moeller wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe it is my wording or misunderstanding.  When I open the task 
>>> manager I see Total and Available memory
>>
>> This is the 'physical memory' (RAM) usage.
>>
>>
>>> and the difference is Committed memory
>>
>> This is 'virtual memory' (not RAM) usage but the figures can be 
>> completely misleading because all virtual memory allocation, whether 
>> used or not, 'maps' through the page file, this is sort of a trick 
>> that Windows uses to give the illusion of nearly unlimited available 
>> memory to applications. This (Commit Charge) is pagefile 'backed' 
>> memory but as long as there is available physical memory (RAM) the 
>> pagefile is not necessarily used for anything other than virtual 
>> memory mapping.
>>
>> Only if the pagefile itself (not the commit charge) is actually 
>> growing can you suspect a memory leak by an application, this is 
>> called a "Paged Pool" leak, usually one will notice the increased 
>> pagefile usage with an increasing sluggishness of the machine.  As the 
>> application 'leaks' or consumes more memory Windows pages out RAM 
>> pages to the Pagefile, hence the name, a "Paged Pool" leak, the memory 
>> leaks to the pagefile.  You can monitor the pagefile with the 
>> corresponding Perfmon counter or you can use Doug Knox's PageFileMon 
>> utility: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm
>>
>> By contrast "Non Paged Pool" leaks occur in areas of memory which 
>> cannot be paged out so these leaks consume an increasing amount of RAM 
>> without any increase in the size of the pagefile.  These leaks are 
>> quite serious, most often they are caused by buggy drivers and they 
>> eventually cripple the machine and cause it to hang completely, 
>> fortunately these leaks are rather rare.
>>
>>
>>> and always < Total Memory or ?  But when I add up the Memory Usage( = 
>>> Working set ?)  of all processes in the tasklist I get  after a week 
>>> or so 1GB less then the committed memory and have to reboot.
>>
>> Why do you have to reboot?  Does the machine become sluggish or 
>> unresponsive?  Or are you rebooting just for the sake of seeing the 
>> Commit Charge come down?
>>
>>
>>> When I boot up the memory usage sum and committed memory is about the 
>>> same.
>>
>> You have to understand the concept of Virtual Memory and how it 
>> differs from actual physical memory to get a grasp on these Task 
>> Manager figures.
>>
>> John
>>
>>
>>> Markus
>>>
>>> "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message 
>>> news:OJqJwiVNLHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>> I have a feeling that we may be chasing a non existent problem... 
>>>> The Task Manager's Commit counters are Virtual Memory counters and 
>>>> they can be quite misleading.
>>>>
>>>> John
>>>>
>>>> Markus Moeller wrote:
>>>>> But the result is the same. If I add all memory used by the 
>>>>> processes it is less than the total used. I get  1688344 Kbytes 
>>>>> from the taskmanager and committed are 2683666 Kbytes. Where does 
>>>>> the rest (> 1GB) go ?
>>>>>
>>>>> Markus
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>>>>> news:OTAaToUNLHA.4968@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>>> "Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message 
>>>>>> news:AD63D158-331C-4CD0-94B8-09684987910A@microsoft.com...
>>>>>>> Hi
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> How can I found out the memory usage on XP ?  My XP box uses over 
>>>>>>> a week all memory and then has no resources available.  It has 
>>>>>>> 4GB memory (3.5 GB free)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I used typeperf with the following:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> \Memory\Available Bytes
>>>>>>> \Memory\Committed Bytes
>>>>>>> \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes
>>>>>>> \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>>>>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes
>>>>>>> \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Private Bytes
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Paged Bytes
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set - Private
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Page Faults/sec
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Handle Count
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> But when I add up Pool Paged Bytes, Pool Nonpaged Bytes, 
>>>>>>> \Process(_total)\Working Set I do net reach the Committed bytes 
>>>>>>> value by 1 GB or more when the machine has to be rebooted.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> What is the best way to find out which process is using it ?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thank you
>>>>>>> Markus
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The Task Manager will tell you. Just click the Processes tab, then 
>>>>>> click on the Memory column header so that the entries are sorted 
>>>>>> by memory usage. You also need to click the box "Show processes 
>>>>>> for all users" at the bottom.
>>>>>
>>>
> 
0
John
8/6/2010 3:57:01 PM
Markus Moeller wrote:
<snip>
> I have to delete the keys in ..\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18\* as
> they got corrupted
<snip>

Scheduled Tasks?  What scheduled tasks do you have running?

-- 
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
-- 
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 


0
Shenan
8/7/2010 6:02:14 AM
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:eLmTcYfNLHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Markus Moeller wrote:
> <snip>
>> I have to delete the keys in ..\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18\* as
>> they got corrupted
> <snip>
>
> Scheduled Tasks?  What scheduled tasks do you have running?
>

I have a montoring task which runs every 5 min (It does snmp monitoring of 
other hosts using cacti) and there are the usual Google and Apple Update 
tasks.

> -- 
> Shenan Stanley
>     MS-MVP
> -- 
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> 

0
Markus
8/7/2010 11:03:32 AM
"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message 
news:OPjoAAYNLHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> It might help if you post the error message verbatim.  Also look in the 
> Event Viewer log for clues.
>

Hi John,

I don't have right now the error message.

I see the attached behaviour until all available physical memory
is gone.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/106988766455240741085/Memory#5502683701635307794

 Right now I have 500MB physical memory out of 3.5GB available.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/106988766455240741085/Memory#5502683703590903170

But a pslist shows (which I interpret that I use max physical memory of
2.2GB). Is that correct ?


Total VM: 11,774,092
Total WS: 2,168,908
Total Priv: 2,077,784
Total Priv Pk: 3,382,212
Total NonP: 1,028
Total Page: 11,376

From Sysinternals PsList
Process memory detail for HOME:
Name                Pid      VM      WS    Priv Priv Pk   Faults   NonP Page
iexplore          27288  798712  443588  424748  424748 44197002     37  314
iexplore          13512  466808  177688  157012  188972  1221534     45  342
iexplore          15608  598308  160476  160600  191484  2800945     39  317
iexplore          15924  324104  122144  104836  117556   958718     36  300
iexplore          108496  403956  109156   81488   92956   114594     36 416
iexplore          112484  341564  108416   85072   98992   221897     33 353
WINWORD           106832  406740   68100   38856   44188    54004     18 663
MsMpEng            1372  163688   54704   76520  174880  7911344     11   82
svchost            1488  298472   47148   33032  474752  2781993     28  208
Babylon            2176  180496   43720   28508   28960    71213     12  229
RapportService     6016  145132   36444   29620   31820 15555689     15  165
inetinfo           1448  115404   36380   32148   50668  1844473     26   99
RapportMgmtService  1412  193772   32496   28008   59756 14052146     12 96
msnmsgr            2872  161232   30988   19876   19944    10420     12  256
iexplore          15356  250740   29104   40664   41596   717933     45  286
Skype              4244  245220   28432   35792   76140  3323152     33  235
skypePM            2812   99584   26772   19492   20256   826065     14  142
vmserverdWin32    97256   67100   24492   18044   20788   580499      5   72
Syslogd_Service    1764   92688   24228   19788   33324    23522      7   72
explorer           3204  197164   21644   36768   39900   866213     27  283
WinTVTray          4776  129000   20604   18736   19440  1382377      6  170
wmpnetwk           5744   87584   19456   13208   13504    11885      8  136
SJphone            4668  110280   18924   31732   31824  3332416     21  151
KService           1968   99496   18756   11096   11140    57164     13  132
NokiaMServer       2284   87904   17848    9812   10188     5407      5  101
mysqld-nt          2204  127252   16776   88204   89076    40705     14   73
vc9play            3120   94796   15968   10924   11084     5170      7  151
iTunesHelper       3148  106916   14964    9864    9864     3959      6  174
ccsvchst           2248  346312   12884   59332  548096 17136976     59  232
wlcomm             4560   78848   12880   11092   13156    25266      5  114
led               111512  146656   12632   79012   79164    28826     10 148
MSASCui            1740   65040   12540    7760    8916    26721      6   83
php                3320   53892   11388    8864    8868     3066      3   63
DetectorApp        2492   70864   10512    6752    7644     3228      4  121
vc9tray            4176   44620   10024    5668    5668     2651      4   78
ccsvchst           4304  155500   10008   25088   26544    53970     21  244
OctoshapeClient    2332   52684    9676    7128    7136     2659     69   62
AndreaVC            616   48272    8764    4392    8824     3992      3   77
HAUPPA~1            788  152840    8528    6232    7040     2929      4   85
spoolsv            1932   54872    8268    5336    5984     7435      5   84
svchost            1784   53676    8260    3928    4876     6177      6   76
rundll32            592   43432    8172    4896    4988     5857      3   72
taskmgr           135040   40188    7816    2596    2724     2949      4 69
ezprint            1260   71444    7700    3840    3844     2066      3   82
winlogon            860   65856    7620    8588   10608    16429      7   92
svchost            1712   35352    7196    4872    6848    18105      3   54
php                2340   61020    6960    4824    7760     2519      3   62
LogiTray           1832   48604    6804    3752    3752     1884      3   76
dllhost           25164   39152    6452    2412    2540     3419      4   67
svchost            1168   66984    6416    3224   23504     8215      5   76
sshd              135320  424924    6360    4416    4416     1672      3 40
vmware-authd      97296   38360    6228    2772    2940   979849      5   54
bash              136284  420032    5860    4976    4980     1555      2 36
sshd              24868  424132    5816    4144    4148     1545     22   35
CTSysVol            528   37616    5724    3548    3548     1628      3   65
svchost            1284   39500    5600    2456    2648     2511     12   77
WLanCfgG            364   40988    5452    2836    2908     9446      3   61
vc9secs            3768   31080    5372    1632    1692     2090      3   54
svchost            2540   39172    4912    2836    2912     1820      3   69
lsass               928   46812    4860    7220    7256  1444173      7   84
services            916   22876    4832    2276    2680     8872      4   30
ctfmon             3516   33956    4812    1640    1640     1426      3   63
stsystra           2704   35232    4756    2784    2784     1313      3   62
wmpnscfg           3328   36284    4676    1736    1736     1240      3   67
snmp               2404   22504    4604    1948    2652     6151      4   34
CineTray           4712   37656    4516    1692    1692     1223      3   69
LVComS              812   37448    4464    2676    2676     1199      2   67
tfswctrl           1880   36232    4440    1644    1644     1205      3   65
PRHYPER            3720   34072    4440    2200    2200     1201      2   56
iPodService        5556   36704    4312    2596    2632     1136      3   46
CTDetect           3384   30624    4232    1676    1676     1161      2   57
mDNSResponder       372   28988    3940    1356    1368     1017      4   52
svchost            2036   36700    3924    1440    1488     1050      3   66
IntelMEM            220   30816    3784    1632    1632     1041      2   56
alg                6004   33840    3776    1328    1340     1001      4   61
MDM                2112   35056    3748    1288    1336     1489      2   59
fxssvc             2120   33684    3744    1396    1548     1029      3   54
tcpvcon           135460   27572    3724    1588    1588     1322      2 51
svchost            1356   37272    3672    1736    1760      977      3   60
cygrunsrv         24784  415392    3620    3360    3372      928      1   27
svchost            1528   32316    3548    2496    2540      961      2   56
AppleMobileDeviceService   248   22248    3524    2148    2160      973 4 
33
PersTray           4296   28576    3428    1328    1328      928      2   55
imapi              1632   34124    3372    1208    1232      905      2   62
ico                1816   27928    3232    1268    1268      859      2   53
USBDeviceService   2816   27420    3184     872     892      810      2   48
clclean.0001       3128   29556    3084    1296    1464      936      2   53
jusched            3280   32188    3048     944     992      803      2   60
PsList            132032   30076    3016    1488    1488     2054      2 49
cmd               135956   30864    2904    2140    2144      790      2 58
scardsvr           1980   27808    2836    1024    1036      787      2   52
cmd                3220   28360    2784    2120    2124      755      2   53
ati2evxx           1148   20116    2632     688     688      707      1   32
csrss               832   37036    2248    2404    3672   492422      8   76
vmnat              4392   15984    2224     804     812     1067      2   23
jqs                1664   37760    1828    2392    2584 66370331     33   51
CTSVCCDA            664   16092    1560     568     568      385      1   21
davcdata          27412   11348    1524     488     488      378      1   22
issch               684   14280    1484     460     472      394      1   27
CreativeLicensing  5440   15096    1432     488     492      355      1   21
WLService           348   14608    1424     440     456      362      1   26
sprtcmd            2676  209520     848   24084   27908   176826     12  250
AluSchedulerSvc     284   36776     740    1344    1504    21169      2   64
sprtsvc            2464   99436     656   10708   13960   147862      8  128
smss                764    3808     416     176     196      211      0    5
System                4    1900     284       0       0    27704      0    0
PIFSvc             2072   48556     200    2184    3140    52706      3   72
PIFSvc             3248   29604     156    1168    1176    11094      2   53
tcpvcon           137036   34964     148    2192    2252     2002      2 61
Idle                  0       0      28       0       0        0      0    0



> John
>
Regards
Markus 

0
Markus
8/7/2010 3:03:33 PM
"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message 
news:OPjoAAYNLHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> It might help if you post the error message verbatim.  Also look in the 
> Event Viewer log for clues.
>

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10000
Date:  22/08/2010
Time:  05:17:55
User:  NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: HOME
Description:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73-4EFFB68962F2}. The 
error:
"Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. "
Happened while starting this command:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe -secured -Embedding

For more information, see Help and Support Center at 
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


> John
>
>

Markus 

0
Markus
8/23/2010 6:51:45 PM
"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message 
news:OPjoAAYNLHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> It might help if you post the error message verbatim.  Also look in the 
> Event Viewer log for clues.
>

And also

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Server
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2510
Date:  22/08/2010
Time:  04:33:59
User:  N/A
Computer: HOME
Description:
The server service was unable to map error code 1453.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at 
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


which is:

System error code 1453 means "Insufficient quota to complete the requested 
service." This error code may also display as "ERROR_WORKING_SET_QUOTA" or 
as the value 0x5AD.


> John
>

Markus

0
Markus
8/23/2010 6:56:19 PM
if I may, my gobbler is IE, since the last MS Update tornado.


"Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com> wrote in message 
news:e7qHARvQLHA.4212@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
:
: "John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
: news:OPjoAAYNLHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
: > It might help if you post the error message verbatim.  Also look in the
: > Event Viewer log for clues.
: >
:
: Event Type: Error
: Event Source: DCOM
: Event Category: None
: Event ID: 10000
: Date:  22/08/2010
: Time:  05:17:55
: User:  NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
: Computer: HOME
: Description:
: Unable to start a DCOM Server: {1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73-4EFFB68962F2}. The
: error:
: "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. "
: Happened while starting this command:
: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe -secured -Embedding
:
: For more information, see Help and Support Center at
: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
:
:
: > John
: >
: >
:
: Markus
: 


0
Laughingstar
8/23/2010 7:21:55 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Resource Usage Filters
I have a 2,500 activity fully resourced network, tasks have been split into 5 discreet area by populating a text field in the gannt chart view. I would like to create filters in the resource usage view where I can filter resource requirements on an 'area-by-area' basis. I have been unsuccesful thus far, and wonder if anyone can help. Hi Mike, you have created a field on task level and want to see it in a resource view. That is not possible. You can use a macro to copy your field into a resource field on assignment level. So you can use it as filter in resource usa...

Internet explorer 7
On signing on to my windows live mail account I see my mail boxes for about 10 seconds and then internet explorer 7 closes down. This happens after repeatedl attempts . Everything is normal on my friends lap top computer which uses windows Vista. Any suggestions please ? Regards Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from the 'no add-ons' icon? Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer settings? "How t...

how to run detect and repair Outlook2000?
My outlook will check for mail which functions as expected then temporarily hangs up like a lock up, then just closes without warning. Any suggestions are welcomed. When Outlook opens, select Help--Detect and Repair Regards Mark Dormer "tom721" <tom721@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:476F22CA-A058-48D4-873F-FD9FD71D215D@microsoft.com... > My outlook will check for mail which functions as expected then > temporarily > hangs up like a lock up, then just closes without warning. > Any suggestions are welcomed. ...

cleaning up memory in my thread
All, I am having a little problem with cleaning up memory in my thread. Here is how I am creating my thread: m_cMakeListThread = AfxBeginThread(MakeListThread, this); Inside my thread I create a buffer by doing the following: //Get the size of the file dwSizeOne = GetFileSize(hFileOne, NULL); // create a buffer the size of the file lpszBufferOne = (LPTSTR)LocalAlloc(LPTR, dwSizeOne); The problem is, if I stop my thread in the middle of a large file, the memory is not released. This is how I am stopping my thread: void CbVerifyView::OnBnClickedButtonStopmakinglist() { DWORD dwSessionThre...

Outlook XP Sych error
Hi - I have Outlook XP on a Windows Xp Pro machine that will only synch up until a certain point and then it errors out. The error message in the synch log had me reinstall Office and create a new .ost file. (http://www.microsoft.com/support/prodredirect/outlook2000 _us.asp?err=80004005-501-820-550). I am still unable to completely synch and receive the same error message. We are using Exchange 2000 and other users who also synch are not having problems. Any ideas? Thanks! What's the error message? How big is the OST file? Amy wrote: > Hi - I have Outlook XP on a Windows ...

memory errors in IE8
IN IE8 when I click on many links I get popup error messages saying something about memory and then some long numbers... what casues this I never get them in Opera, firefox or chrome Hi, DLLs mentioned in the error messages may be pointing to the troublesome program or browser add-on. But... Start Internet Explorer without add-ons by right-clicking the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons. or from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons) Visit several of the affected sites.If the problem goes away, a browser ...

Access XP database
I am creating a database that will produce a sales contract in the construction biz. It will have two tables: one contains the line items and the other the customer information and static contractural information. I need to link the two tables so that I can produce a query from which I will produce a report. 3 questions: 1). What kind of field would I need to create to act as primary key, which leads to question 2). What kind of relationship do I need: one to many, etc and 3). what kind of join would I need to make this work?. The table with line items has a "Yes/No&...

covert quattro pro to excel with microsoft office xp ?
i am using microsoft office xp and have some quattro pro files i would like to convert to excel. but have not bin able to find away ...

Memory Allocation Flavor?
I'm curious (and it would be very useful) if there's a way to tell whether memory was allocated by the malloc or new methods? Emphasizing that I realize mixing the two types in a single application is somewhat crazy, and one should endeavor to use 'new', it would still be nice to create a freewhatever() method that worked for either. My first thought is that, if it were possible, it would already be available, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Balboos Actually, there is a way internally that this is determined. But you can't find it out. It is in the storage header. ...

Large usage of off-site 'forwards'
After discussions on this issue. It has been decided to allow (build) mail forwards for all students (users) who wish to maintain mail activity on 3rd party mail systems (Gmail. Yahoo, MSN, AOL, etc) [PUSH]. By policy "all" students are built mailboxes within our campus Exchange site whether they use them or not. Historically we have requested that theses users POP their mail to alternate providers [PULL]. We now intend to configure Mail Forwards [push technology] for any of these users who request that functionality, which could be 'hundreds' of users. Questi...

Money 2006: Going from XP to Vista
I've got Microsoft Money 2006 Premium edition on my laptop. I also have Windows XP on it. I want to upgrade it to Windows Vista, by doing what is called a "wipe and load". That means I'll reformat the hard drive and install Vista onto it. Then I'll install my various applications (Office, etc). This includes reinstalling Money 2006. Of course, I've got to save my current Money file (.MNY). Is there anything else I should save so that I can properly get my MS Money environment back? Rod In microsoft.public.money, Rod wrote: >I've got Microsoft M...

Upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro
Tried to upgrade from XP HOME to XP PRO. Message states doesn'tsupport upgradefrom XP Home . Would like to upgrade & retain all data & Programs. Andy "Andrew" <andrewrl@verizon.net> wrote > Tried to upgrade from XP HOME to XP PRO. > Message states doesn'tsupport upgradefrom XP Home . > Would like to upgrade & retain all data & Programs. You need to ask this question in a newsgroup devoted to Windows XP... this one is for Microsoft Access database software... you'll stand a much better chance of getting a good answer there. Larry Li...

Money 2001 on XP password problem
I am trying to open a Money file on my newer PC that uses Micosoft XP. I reinstalled my copy of MS Money 2001 and tried to open the most recent money file from my back up floppies and it is asking for a password before it will open! I have never used a password on MS Money. Is there a way around this?. I've tried it on two computers in our household that both run on XP. My version on my computer before it became faulty was ME. Any suggestions please...Thanks Big Kev In microsoft.public.money, Big Kev wrote: >I am trying to open a Money file on my newer PC that uses Micosoft XP...

why AVIFileOpen Error in XP (sometimes)?
Hi I use AVIFileOpen(&pfile,(char*)m_aviFileName,OF_WRITE| OF_CREATE, NULL); to open or create a avi file in my program . it works well on windows 98/2000 and on clean XP platform. but when i install much software on my XP , AVIFileOpen will return an error result . what happened ? and how can i solve it ? thanks . enlone . nacyhwx wrote: > Hi > > I use > AVIFileOpen(&pfile,(char*)m_aviFileName,OF_WRITE| OF_CREATE, NULL); > to open or create a avi file in my program . it works well on windows > 98/2000 and on clean XP platform. but when i install much software ...

outlook 2003 ignoring XP appearance settings.
Good day all, Since formatting and reinstalling Office 2003, it seems to be completely ignoring the display settings for XP. I've selected the XP standard blue theme, but none of my office apps care about this setting, never changing from the "classic" look. I include a link to a screenshot of my Outlook 2003, where it is easy to see that WinXP is set to it's default theme, but Outlook is not picking up on this. Any suggestions out there? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, including from different known good media. Win XP is completely up to date, as is the offi...

XP Reinstallation Failure
In trying to reinstall XP-Pro on a Dell Precision 650 with a new U320 SCSI hard drive installed and partitioned (with FDISK), during the boot up sequence the screen shows that the on-board LSI Logic Bios has installed and that the new HD is recognized. Yet, when I try to reinstall XP-Pro, the machine starts the reinstallation disk but then reports there are no hard drives present. I have tried to run the reinstallation disk both by installing the LSI Logic SCSI driver from a floppy and by just letting the machine boot up itself. The no HD present error comes up either way. ...

Windows XP Pro Freezing
Ok heres the problems and i hope someone here can help me with it. Yesterday for no reason my my system started freexing up for no reason. I am not getting any blue screen or anything everything just locks up. I restored back to an earlier date last night and it seemed to help the problem but it didn't. I have run the live care virus scan and cleanup scan and that hasnt helped either and no virus's are found. Hope someone can help with this. "LordDragon" wrote: > Ok heres the problems and i hope someone here can help me with it. > Yesterday for no r...

Sharing Folders (net folders) in Outlook 2002/XP
I'm trying to share a contacts & calendar folders from a laptop (running Windows 2000 Pro & Outlook 2000) to a desktop (running Windows XP Pro & Outlook 2002). Problem is when I receive the "new subscription to contacts/calendar" email the "ACCEPT" button doesn't show. I have already tested it successfully on another Windows 2000/Outlook 2000 machine, but can't get it to work in XP/Outlook 2002. Please advise. Thanks! ...

GPO and XP Client
I am running Server 2008 Enterprise with group policies. In my test environment, I have a Vista Ultimate and XP Pro client. Any changes that I make with the GPO on the server correctly effects my Vista client, but I get nothing out of the XO Pro client. Is there a conflict with Server 2008 and XP Pro, besides Microsoft wanting people to buy new client licenses, that I am not aware of? Thank you., John Stein <john@john.com> wrote: > I am running Server 2008 Enterprise with group policies. In my test > environment, I have a Vista Ultimate and XP Pro client. Any c...

Ootlook 2002 (XP) on Windows XP
I have outlook 2002 and after machine reboot when I first do a send/receive in Outlook it prompts (on a popup that remains in the background so you have to go looking for it) for which profile to use. I only have one profile on the machine and it's set as the default. Is there any way to stop outlook prompting. Regards -- Please reply to the newsgroup and not to my email address. Control Panel->mail icon->show profiles->always use this profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.co...

File Size Bloat (serious) with Excel-XP ?
Is there a known bloat problem with Excel-XP saving earlier formats ? A friend of mine has been having a problem with serious bloat of an Excel file under XP. After inserting some email links (about 30) into a very small spreadsheet and saving as excel-95 format (which should actually just trash the links) his file size hit 1.5mb. I took his 1.5mb file, saved it to text, imported it and recreated the links in Excel-2000. With the exact same content that he had, I got a file size of under 50K for both excel-2000 format (links preserved) or in excel-95 format (links get trashed). So, s...

Running Great Plains 9.5 in DOS on XP PRO
I have 1 user who prefers GPS 9.5 DOS and has been running the DOS application on Windows 98. She wants to keep running GPS in DOS on her new machine with Windows XP PRO. Does anyone know how to do this? I have tried some solutions with integreating the new Pervasive 8 workstation (remember than this is a stand alone user with no network access and Pervasive Server) but get an error of "Trouble Loading Screen Image" in DOS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's been a while since I have had to do this but luckily I still have my notes. Make a copy of c:\windows\syste...

Office XP Excel 2002
Two questions: 1) Where do I put a custom template so it is available under templates in Excel? I looked thru the knowledgebase and they gave me folders that don't exist in my XP. 2) How do I get rid of the stupid task pane on the right that keeps popping up? I can remove it, but when I close and re-open Excel, it shows up again. I want it to function like it did in Excel 2000. 1. Pretend to save a file as template and look in what folder it saves default to. Then put it there, mine opens to a folder called templates 2. I have excel 2003 and it can be removed under Tools>opt...

How do you free COM memory and resources?
Background: I have an app that uses Crystal Reports, when I went from version 8.5 and the legacy API to version 9 and the new API I find that some functions leak memory. Notably viewing reports or exporting to PDF. The leaks seems to be in CR not in my app. Question is: How can I free this memory. I have tried everyting, ie m_Application.Release() and even ::CoUninitialize(); ::CoInitialize(NULL); But nothing seems to bring back the memory, short of exiting my app. I have a vague memory that CoUninitialize will not actually do a Release on the objects that have been loaded in that thread. I...

usage of this()
Hi I have a problem at this program a bout the usage of this() Error 1 The name 'first' does not exist in the current context Error 2 The name 'lname' does not exist in the current context using System; class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { employee first = new employee ( "peter", "young" ); employee id = new employee(); id.Id=int.Parse(Console.ReadLine()); employee salary = new employee(); salary.Salary = int.Parse(Console.ReadLine()); ...