Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?

Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it
seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that
needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network
connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there
any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For
example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has
been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the
network resource? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

On 8/5/2010 12:23 PM, Randy wrote:
> Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it
> seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that
> needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network
> connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there
> any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For
> example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has
> been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the
> network resource? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you running this as a GPO "Shutdown" script?  GPO Shutdown scripts
are 'supposed' to run before network connections are deleted.

John
0
John
8/5/2010 3:33:46 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is a GPO "Shutdown" script. Since you have
confirmed that network connectivity "should" still be available when the
script runs, we are going to have the script generate a log to hopefully give
us an idea of where and what exactly is failing. Thanks again for your reply.

"John John - MVP" wrote:

> On 8/5/2010 12:23 PM, Randy wrote:
> > Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it
> > seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that
> > needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network
> > connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there
> > any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For
> > example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has
> > been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the
> > network resource? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Are you running this as a GPO "Shutdown" script?  GPO Shutdown scripts
> are 'supposed' to run before network connections are deleted.
>
> John
> .

Prrofile not connecting to exchange server
Windows 2000 on computer. We just cloned a small drive to a large drive. In the process I must have shut off or deleted something. The profile can accessed on the server from any other computer except the one that we cloned the drive. Error reads Can Not Open Information Store. All suggestions are welcome. We need to do this with out calling in anyone else. Thank You How is general network connectivity? Are you able to ping the Exchange server? Browse the network? Did you try recreating the Profile? The network is good. We are getting on the internet, receiving internet email t...

How do I maintain formatting?
I'm using Word 2K and when I save as a .txt file all formatting is lost. I use a Text to HTML converter prior to uploading to a website. How do I go about preserving the formatting so that the web doc looks like the one I created in Word? Best regards, -- VHH III Txt is plain text and that does not support formatting. Html does support formatting, but its requirements are entirely different from those of a Word document and so there is little correlation between the two. You can view what the Word document will look like in html by using the Web view. -- <>&...

Network Load Balancing
There is documentation that details how to install CRM 3.0 in an NLB environment, however that assumes that we want to use the NLB functionality built-in to Windows 2003. What other NLB based environments does it work with? Can they use Cisco equipment etc? Has anyone else implemented CRM in an NLB environment using a product like Cisco etc? seen a few different setups including one from F5 ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Jeremy Winchell" <JeremyWinchell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Problems with Outlook2003 trying to connect to xchange
Strange problem this... Installed 2 new PCs onto SBS2003 domain when adding the machine on to the domain we installed Outlook when it was offered from the server (though it was never configured or used) as the user wanted to be on Outlook Express A couple of days later we installed Office 2003 OEM Basic And tried to migrate the user to Outlook, at this point Outlook kept wanting to connect to Exchange running on the SBS2003 box, however its not possible because we aren't using exchange so it isn't installed... Despite uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook and then Office every ...

Outlook and home network
Outlook 2007 / Vista Home Premium I have Outlook on my desktop and laptop. I can connect both PCs to my home network. Is it possible to set up both PCs to access one pst? I have the pst on a HD visible on both PCs. I just want to eliminate identical pst's on both PCs. Network access of a pst is not supported and can lead to corruption. If you choose to do it (it is possible) you can only use the pst with one outlook at a time. If your email provider supports imap it's a better solution. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &a...

Payroll Connect
What exactly is Payroll Connect? I have tried several ways to search for information about in on CustomerSource with no luck (the search engine is really awful ... but I digress). We are using ADP for payroll and they basically suck when it comes to getting data from them to import into Great Plains. We need to bring in detail GL (including PTO balances for liability), check information for banking and eventually expense information for AP. I thought, perhaps, that Payroll Connect might hold some hope. Use the below link to get information about payroll connect; it will be under t...

Maintaining Links
All, I have a db that is linked to a table of another db. They are kept in one folder. Whenver I move the folder to another comp or change the location I need to re-link. How do I maintain the link so that I don't have to relink every time I move the folder? Thanks in advance. What you are asking is "How can I be in 2 places at the same time?" Do I really need to answer that? On the other hand, you can have the front-end app automatically ask for the new location. Have a look at the following: http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://...

Outlook 2003 & CRM 3.0 connection error after install.
I am having trouble getting Outlook to connect to my crm server using the laptop installation version. When opening Outlook, I get the error "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM Server." I have tried uninstall and then reinstall but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this issue resolved? Thanks! I have found that if you have any kind of pop-up blocker, the Outlook client will throw an error like that (after waiting for a long time). In my case, I disabled the built-in pop-up blocker that comes with XPsp2 and then it was fine. To ch...

Maintaining Format
We have a 400 page tech manual with tons of formatting: figures, tables with auto numbering, chapters and paragraph numbering. There are 4 folks on the team re-writing the document and when we combine the doc, all the formatting gets jumbled. Is there a way to create a formatting template perhaps and pass that to all the writers? You should set up a template with the appropriate paragraph styles and have all editors use the template. More to the point, if all editors make use of the same (set of) styles and apply them consistently, the formatting will straighten itself out as t...

Cannot connect to quotes server
All of a sudden, I'm unable to connect to the quotes server using my primary computer. My back-up, a laptop,connects fine. My Internet connection is OK - I can browse with no problem. The connectivity problem exists only with MS Money. I've turned off the firewall. Using XP with SP2, MS Money 2007 Deluxe. Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks. Dave M. A further indication of the problem: When I click "Go Online" in the info bar (between "File, Edit, Favorites..." and "Home, Banking..." lines), I immediately get the message, "Not ab...

Maintain 1 List... Twice
Good afternoon all, Just wondering if this is possible. I started maintaining a list of what files we kept archived at a storage facility, based on a list that was on paper. I finally got all the boxes typed in, resulting in a list which has all the files in each box, grouped by what box they are in. However, for the sake of searching these files, it's best if I have them alphabetically as well. My solution was to make a copy of the "List" called "Alpha". Alpha contains the list, sorted by surname. Every time I catalogue a new box, I copy it into "Alpha" an...

Outlook Express Connectivity
Recently, when I go to check my e-mail using outlook express, I get an error stating that I have been disconnected from my server. Logging off my account (or rebooting the computer) is the only way the error goes away and I can check e-mail. I have heard of others with this problem, but have not heard of any potential causes. I downloaded / installed Outlook Express hoping this would alleviate the problem, but it persists. Would appreciate any advice on what the problem might be... thanks in advance ! Stu in Vermont vtfoster (remove this) @aadelphia.net <anonymous@discus...

Restricting connection access to the virtual server.
Almost 80 % of the spam received at my server originates from a handful of domains used by DSL users eg: nyc.rr.com, however these domains span a vast range of ip address if I can block the domain I should be home free (or so I hope). Most versions of Exchange allow you to permit or deny access to your mail server either by ip address or by domain name. I can successfully restrict access by ip address. However I cannot restrict by domain name. If a given mail server is hostname.domain.com Do I have to enter "hostname.domain.com" or is it sufficient to enter "domain.com&qu...

Error saying I'm not connected to internet???
I'm trying to add a new account and get it to connect to the internet but i get an error saying i'm not connected to the internet. I tried everything and tried even setting up an account in safe mode but i still get the same error. microsoft help line but they where no help. This is happening to me too, tonight. Are you using Money Plus (2008) by chance? On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:12:06 -0700, Me here <Me here@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to add a new account and get it to connect to the internet but i >get an error saying i'm not connected...

corruption of mdb files on network drives using Access 2003 under Vista
I have been having a rather aggravating problem with databases becoming corrupt after opening them on a Vista machine. I have finally found a common theme to the problem, and a work around, and am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Running Access 2003 on a Vista Business computer in a Windows 2003 AD environment. If I open an Access database, make any changes to ANY object, then close the database and allow it to automatically compact itself, the database ends up corrupt and I can no longer open it under Vista, nor under XP. I have found that if I turn off the automatic compacting...

Shutdown Problems with Outlook 2002
I have Outlook 2002 and Windows XP. When I attempt to shut down the computer with all programs already closed, I get the message box that Outlook.exe is shutting down and do I want to cancel or end now. This happens a few times before I can finally shut down. The same thing happens at work which also has Outlook 2002 and Windows XP. Any ideas? Pam: Did you find any answer to this problem? I am experiencing the same issue? Michael >-----Original Message----- >I have Outlook 2002 and Windows XP. When I attempt to >shut down the computer with all programs already close...

Maintaining cricket stats
Hello, I'm a relative nOOb to Excel. I'm going to be maintaining stats for a cricket league. Its goingto be: Column A: Name, B: Games played, C: Runs(points)scored, D: Highest score etc... Now, my problem is, since there are 168 players, and they'll be playing around 16 games each whole season, I need to add up their stats end-of-season as easily as possible. I could use simple SUM(C1+C2+C3+...Cn) for the total runs and all, but doing it individually for each player would take long, plus each player wont be playing the same number of games , so i'd have to alter the fo...

Basic Network Monitor
Visio provides a wonderful environment for me as an IT Manager to inventory the infrastructure I am responsible for. My diagrams have grown over the years and include a whole lot of "dumb" items (notes on cable runs; mini-hubs: etc) as well as inteligent devices (Cisco routers & switches; servers; etc). Because of the effort I've put into this product it has become one of my primary management tools. What I'm after now is to take it to the next level and provide dynamic status of some (not all) of these elements. I need to indicate if a link is up by showing a...

Excel 97 will not open a shared network file, only flashes on the screen
I have a user who experiences trouble with a shared network Excel 97 file. It flashes on the screen quickly and closes. Here are some observations: -The file is shared and allows multiple users to use the file at once and merge data. -Change history tracking is turned off. -The user remains in the Other users have had problems until history tracking was turned off. Please email me any suggestions. Thanks. ...

CRM App Pool Network Service
What do I have to mention to setup crm app-pool as network-service? TIA Stefan ...

Maintain Formatting
When I paste my resume or upload it to Monster.com the formatting is always messed up. How do I prevent or fix this. Because it doesn't want a formatted document. What I do is to keep a plain text version. I tweaked it to look nice and pasted that into the career sites. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Lindaw1984" <Lindaw1984@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7A1488C-63AC-4644-85C2-F029AA7F9AA5@microsoft.com... > When I paste my resume or upload it to Mons...

RPC over HTTPD while on remote network
Hi Everyone, I have been successfully able to setup RPC over HTTP on a computer that is not part of a domain when on the local area network where my domain and exchange server reside, but I was wondering if there is a way to do it while not on the LAN. The main problem I see is that when I select the exchange mail server when setting up the mail account and I use the FQDN, mail.companyname.com, outlook is never able to find the exchange server. when i am on the LAN and I put the FQDN it changes it to the local network name and everything works. I feel like I am very close to making it work, ...

The connection was dropped by remote host
In the queue of Exchange 2003, there is a item with this message: The connection was dropped by remote host Why occurs? how to fix this problem? Thanks Teo Could be a number of reasons. Take a look at the SMTP logs to try and get more information. It may just be a transient error. Nue "Teodoro" <Teodoro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2EE7EBFD-2AD5-419A-9FC2-E16E1D344E6F@microsoft.com... > In the queue of Exchange 2003, there is a item with this message: > > The connection was dropped by remote host > > Why occurs? how to fix this problem...

Shariing Outlook 2003 files across a home network
I'm considering getting a laptop to go along with my desktop, and connecting them via a home wireless network. I would like to be able to download email to either machine, but still be able to read all of the emails from either machine. Is it possible to set up Outlook 2003 such that both machines would share the files (inbox, outbox, address book, etc) on the desktop? Naturally, the desktop would have to be on for the laptop to access the email. Thanks in advance for any assistance! Lewis Clark wrote: > I'm considering getting a laptop to go along with my desktop, and ...

My PC only starts with Safe Mode With Networking
This is a bit by bit detail of what it actually does so you can get a good picture of what exactly is happening. For some reason when i downloaded and installed "Easy-Hide-I.P." and turned my PC off. In the morning i got up and turned it on and all it does is load up the intel logo then the windows xp loading screen and then shuts down and turns itself back on and then loads the intel logo again and then go's to the options screen which ask's you if you want to load the PC in: Safe Mode. Safe Mode with Networking. Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Last known Goo...