Lost notepad

Am running WinXP MCE SP3 and after the latest round of MS updatesappear to
have lost Notepad from the list displayed when you open the accessories
folder from the start menu.

The program still exists as does the shortcut if the accessories folder is
explored but it will not
appear in the list.

Have deleted the shortcut, replaced it and done a system restore all without
any effect.

The latter makes me wonder if Notepad had already disappeared but I had not
noticed.

Used a cmd line file to reregister all .DLLs in case that was missing still
no joy.

Would appreciate any ideas, advice as to possible causes.

Brian
0
btbincase

<btbincase@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Am running WinXP MCE SP3 and after the latest round of MS updatesappear to
> have lost Notepad from the list displayed when you open the accessories
> folder from the start menu.
>
> The program still exists as does the shortcut if the accessories folder is
> explored but it will not
> appear in the list.
>
> Have deleted the shortcut, replaced it and done a system restore all
> without
> any effect.
>
> The latter makes me wonder if Notepad had already disappeared but I had
> not
> noticed.
>
> Used a cmd line file to reregister all .DLLs in case that was missing
> still
> no joy.
>
> Would appreciate any ideas, advice as to possible causes.
>
> Brian

Create a shortcut to it on your desktop, then drag it to the Accessories
folder and see if that works for you.
--
SC Tom

0
SC
12/10/2009 12:31:06 AM
Thats how I put the shortcut to Notepad back by creating a shortcut
in Windows to the desktop and then putting it in Accessories.

Made no difference still does not display.

Brian
0
btbincase
12/10/2009 8:50:54 PM
> Thats how I put the shortcut to Notepad back by creating a shortcut
> in Windows to the desktop and then putting it in Accessories.
>
> Made no difference still does not display.
>
> Brian

If you go to \windows\system32 and double-click on notepad.exe, will notepad
open? If not, do you know anyone you can get a copy of it from?
--
SC Tom

0
SC
12/10/2009 9:20:05 PM
Looks like the problem was one of identity.

While I am sole user and sign on as administrator I also
have an identity on the system

While Notepad is still in the Administrator accessories folder
it no longer existed in my settings and documents folders.

So despite being shown for the last 3 years it suddenly disappeared
and I am now convinced as a result of the latest upgrades.

Ain't MS great.

Will someone please develop an OS that is not bloated, does not need
patching
every five minutes because of vunerabilities and is actually fit for
purpose.

Don't suggest UNIX I was there at the outset and it had it's problems too.

Pity we ended up with MSDOS instead of CP/M

End of rant

Brian
0
btbincase
12/10/2009 9:44:40 PM
That's interesting, since we all have notepad in Administrator and the
same updates and OURS didn't disappear. Perhaps YOU installed something
else that WE didn't? You would prefer security through obscurity perhaps?

btbincase@btinternet.com wrote:

> Looks like the problem was one of identity.
>
> While I am sole user and sign on as administrator I also
> have an identity on the system
>
> While Notepad is still in the Administrator accessories folder
> it no longer existed in my settings and documents folders.
>
> So despite being shown for the last 3 years it suddenly disappeared
> and I am now convinced as a result of the latest upgrades.
>
> Ain't MS great.
>
> Will someone please develop an OS that is not bloated, does not need
> patching
> every five minutes because of vunerabilities and is actually fit for
> purpose.
>
> Don't suggest UNIX I was there at the outset and it had it's problems too.
>
> Pity we ended up with MSDOS instead of CP/M
>
> End of rant
>
> Brian

0
Bob

Lost Formatting When tab is copied
My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my percent formats change to dollar format. This happens no matter what page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or copying. Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot table. Could this have anything to do with it? ...

What was lost is found
Some of you may recall my frantic thrashing around here when I reinstalled my OS (Win XP) and had to reinstall Publisher 98 but could not find the installation disk. With a tweak here and a cludge there I was able to reinstall from the Publisher directory on the drive. (Don't ever install to the Windows/Program Files directory. Give each application its own root directory.) But the reinstall, though good enough to retrieve all my *.pub files and create new ones, lacks a few features, like hyphenation, spellcheck, etc. But today, what was lost is found. The installation disk turned ...

2005 Deluxe
Upgraded from 2003. Seems like I've lost functionality. Can't find how to separate catagory entry between category and subcategory (all one entry now). Also can't find the MoneySide FollowUP Notes that I used to have on the home page. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks. MoneySide has been gone since M04. You are, IIRC, the second person to post here having noticed. As to dual cat lists: see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. BTW, you are supposed to prefer single list. "Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9082426-5...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

Lost security on modified reports
It appears that access has been lost to modified reports. I checked security and access to the appropriate modified reports is selected, but I can not access them, nor can other users. We work in a Citrix environment and all users access the forms and reports from the server, not local workstations. I have unmarked and marked access and logged out and back in, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Have you tried using Advanced Security's Verify Security feature to check that all the security records are correct, valid and undamaged? It is worth a try. PS: You can also use Advan...

Lost Outlook email
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see th results, please visit http://www.outlookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5370 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Question: Am I hosed - YE - PROBABL - MAYB - N ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I downloaded my email from the server, got a message that some of th rest of my mail couldn't be retrieved, closed outlook, re-opened it and the messages I had already retrieved ...

lost portfolio dat
i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? In microsoft.public.money, mark wrote: >i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its >gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? You saved it as *.inv or "my portfolio Backup.mbf"? The group for MSN Money is microsoft.public.moneycentral. ...

lost folders
A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is no Sent Items folder there. Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. Th...

lost authenticity number
I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is there any way to get the number off of my computer? If you mean your Product Key, you can call Micorosft for it. I'm assuming you have to reload Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Amy Gentzyel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ecd01c48d27$cfcdaba0$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is > there any way to get the number off of my computer? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://w...

newsgroup access lost
Hi y'all, I set up access to Newsgroups by adding to the Go Menu as per on-line directions. I used the newsgroup and shut the program. Somewhere along the way it disappeared. I tried to set it up again, but now it's missing (completely). I tried a repair. No good. Any suggestions? Thanks. Robert Do a hard reset on the Toolbar by renaming outcmd.dat to outcmd.old. You should then be able to add it again. Also see the following for more options; http://www.sparnaaij.net/faq/news.htm -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outloo...

upgraded from MS98 to XP pro and lost emails in Outlook Express
I just did an upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows Xp pro. That went fine but when i checked my email in Outlook Express all my old emaisl were gone. How do i get them back? >-----Original Message----- >I just did an upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows Xp pro. >That went fine but when i checked my email in Outlook >Express all my old emaisl were gone. How do i get them >back? >. >I have just upgraded also, I have the problem when I export my mail and import to XP all attachments are gone! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Offi...

Lost Email after Uninstall
I uninstalled Outlook XP, then relized that I forgot to backup my emails. Did I really loose my email or did Microsoft's uninstall program leave the email file somewhere. I have looked for .pst and ..dbx files but can't find any. Thanks, strad Uninstalling never removes your PST file. Keep looking. Make sure you've enabled the display and search of hidden folders. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "strad" <stradwork@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c90a0f78.0310300748.3897db85@posting.google.com... > I uninstalled Outlook XP, then relized that I forgot to backup...

Lost my Newsreader in Outlook 2003
Installed Outlook 2003; everything went fine. Added the newsreader to the standard toolbar...ie. Go>>News by clicking on the toolbars ...customize...go...news. this went fine. Shutdown my computer..brought it home. Opened up outlook NO newsreader !! And it's nowwhere to be found on the customize..commands menu. !!! I tried detect/ and repair. I tried resetting all toolbars. Nothing works. Before I completely remove Office 2003 and reinstall I hope someone might have a solution. Regards, Adam Close Outlook - find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. Reopen Outlook. --� Milly Stapl...

lost data....lost person!
I'll try to keep it simple....I have Windows XP Home Edition...and The Office 2000 suite....I was useing the Excel 2000 program and forgot to save the data, however, I DID NOT close the program. The data I had put in was gone when I went back to do some more entries and save and close the workbook. When I tried undo in the edit menu it said that I Couldn't undo and only after switching from sheet to sheet did it finally show that I could do one undo but it was on a seperate sheet than the one that I had showing when the option was available and I believe that it was informat...

Lost my Original Styles
I somehow lost all of my default/standard Styles in Word! I am left with one that was created for a large document. I have no idea how this happened! Since you cannot delete the built-in styles, this must be a view issue. Note that recent versions of Word allow you to specify exactly which styles to show and which to hide. Which version are you using? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "NeedAnswerForBoss" <NeedAnswerForBoss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C6F845D-5F00-4470-B403-47FA6702E2CC@microsoft.com... >I somehow lost all of m...

Formatting Lost in Bulk Emails
Why is formatting lost when sending bulk email to large lists? I used a template that I created from scratch. I then sent that template to about 600 leads. I started getting responses and I noticed the formatting (carriage returns) were taken out. So there were no spaces between paragraphs, it looked TERRIBLE! When I send that same template to a single lead, all formatting (carriage returns) stays. Why does this only happen to bulk emails? Also, if I send a bulk email out BUT I use a pre-created template, formatting stays. So why is formatting lost when I send a user created tem...

Lost "News" icon from computer
When installing the Newsgroup icon to my toolbar I placed it on the toolbar instead of under the "Go" grouping. So I went back and took it off the toolbar to then place it under the "Go" grouping, but when I go to the "commands" tab in the customize toolbar tool, "News" is no longer there as an option to pick from. How to I get it back as an option to put on my toolbar under the "Go" grouping. I am running Outlook 2007 on that computer. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in 'Control Panel|Internet Options&...

lost all my contacts
All of my contacts have disappeared. the recycle bin is empty and my computer won't retore to an earlier point please tell me how to find them. Tnaks -- the duchess Do a system restore in Safe Mode, see if that will work. To get into Safe Mode, as the computer is booting, tap your "F8 Key" until the startup menu appears. Safe mode should be already highlighted - Press your Enter key at that point. Once in Safe Mode, do a System Restore in the normal way and wait until it notifies you that it has completed. the duchess;1647796 Wrote: > All...

Lost my files
Hello, My laptop dropped and suddenly all my documents were gone! Trash can files are still there... Any suggestions on how to retrieve the files? Thanks! Erik Fuyu wrote: > My laptop dropped and suddenly all my documents were gone! Trash > can files are still there... > Any suggestions on how to retrieve the files? I believe you are not giving all of the story. -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Do a search on Google for retrieving deleted files. I'm suprised on...

lost disk for word 2007?
My computer crashed and wiped. Lost disk for Word 2007. What can I do? Disk was registered with Microsoft. Lou How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246 "foreclosureselfdefense" <foreclosureselfdefense@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43C72184-D7FC-47C3-9447-D31FA70BE0A1@microsoft.com... : My computer crashed and wiped. Lost disk for Word 2007. What can I do? Disk : was registered with Microsoft. : Lou ...

Lost Contacts #6
I am running Office 2003. My contacts list shows up in my Personal Folder but when I click on on Contacts, all of my contacts show up. When I try to send and e-mail, however, and click to add a contact address to my e-mail, I am told that there are no entries in my address book. How can I recover my contacts? Clearly your Contacts are in place, what has occured however is the the Contacts are not shown as an Address Book (which is a filtered view of your Contacts) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287563 "Guy Delaney" <delaney@suddenlink.net> wrote in message news:evo...

Read-only lost when file transferred by email
Vista professional Office Professional 2007 More of a rhetorical question since probably nothing can be done about it... When I transfer via Outlook a Word file set as read-only (i.e., read- only set from the file's desktop icon > Properties, not from within Word), the read-only attribute is lost at the receiving end. I have to remind the recipient to reset the attribute. Why should this be the case? Thanks. Please ignore this. I will repost in the Vista group. Sorry for the trouble. On Aug 20, 11:45=A0am, wal <ress6...@verizon.net> wrote: > Vista prof...

I am lost.
OK I will try to explain this the best I can: I started using Money 2002 on Nov. 24, 2003. I used my online account balance from that day as my starting balance for my account on Money. I then entered the transactions I had for that day and every day from then on. On Jan. 24, 2004 I attemped to balance my account. When Money asked for the statement date, I entered 11/24/03 thinking this was the day I opened the Money account. I guess I did not realize this was for PAPER BANK STATEMENT'S only. I did not have any paper statement in hand, I simply was balancing my account from...

Calendar Organizers Lost after Migration from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2007
After importing pst file from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2007, none of the original meeting organizers are recognized in my calendar so updates cannot be received without re-creating and re-sending the meeting notice. Additionally, all meeting subject fields are include the word "Copy:" at the beginning - editable, but annoying just the same. Is there a graceful way to update? Thank you!. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com What type of email account do you use? Why did you import? You should open the old pst in outlook then move the items to the new pst in outlook. H...

lost login option
OK I had a massive crash after using an update driver utility to update all the drivers on my system. I opted to not back the system up before doing so, confidently feeling that I knew what I was doing and not to worry. Story of my life. Needless to say however, not everything was a complete loss. Upon reboot and after the new driver installation, my only login options were to log in under Administrator. My original named account "YOU" was gone! There wasn't an option to select it since it wasn't there .... it was missing from the login window. So I logged in un...