Looking for a basic "duplicate file name finder" app.

Does anyone use a free duplicate file finder that they like?

I know there are lots out there but when I went to download.com and
searched, I got 800 hits.  When I tried the "most popular" according
to it's ratings, they turned out to be trial-ware. The most popular
tool seems to do everything *but* find duplicate filenames. It wanted
to "clean up my system".

Thanks.

--
Al Dykes

adykes

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Duplicate-File-Finder.shtml

John

Al Dykes wrote:
> Does anyone use a free duplicate file finder that they like?
>
> I know there are lots out there but when I went to download.com and
> searched, I got 800 hits.  When I tried the "most popular" according
> to it's ratings, they turned out to be trial-ware. The most popular
> tool seems to do everything *but* find duplicate filenames. It wanted
> to "clean up my system".
>
> Thanks.

0
John
4/7/2010 11:44:07 AM
In article <e3Bnkek1KHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
John John - MVP  <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Duplicate-File-Finder.shtml
>
>John
>
>Al Dykes wrote:
>> Does anyone use a free duplicate file finder that they like?
>>
>> I know there are lots out there but when I went to download.com and
>> searched, I got 800 hits.  When I tried the "most popular" according
>> to it's ratings, they turned out to be trial-ware. The most popular
>> tool seems to do everything *but* find duplicate filenames. It wanted
>> to "clean up my system".
>>
>> Thanks.

Very nice and I'll use it but it's missing one feature; when I
said filename I meant filename. I want to seach a huge file system for
all FOO where this can be FOO.jpg, FOO.Crw, FOO.PSD, etc.  Maybe theer
is a way to do this.

I'll sign up to the forums and see if there is some way.

--
Al Dykes

adykes
4/7/2010 12:13:30 PM
Al Dykes wrote:
> In article <e3Bnkek1KHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
> John John - MVP  <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Duplicate-File-Finder.shtml
>>
>> John
>>
>> Al Dykes wrote:
>>> Does anyone use a free duplicate file finder that they like?
>>>
>>> I know there are lots out there but when I went to download.com and
>>> searched, I got 800 hits.  When I tried the "most popular" according
>>> to it's ratings, they turned out to be trial-ware. The most popular
>>> tool seems to do everything *but* find duplicate filenames. It wanted
>>> to "clean up my system".
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>

> Very nice and I'll use it but it's missing one feature; when I
> said filename I meant filename. I want to seach a huge file system for
> all FOO where this can be FOO.jpg, FOO.Crw, FOO.PSD, etc.  Maybe theer
> is a way to do this.

At a Command Prompt:

cd\
dir foo.* /s >c:\foo.txt

look in the c:\foo.txt file for the results.

John
0
John

Looking for a basic "duplicate file name finder" app.
Does anyone use a free duplicate file finder that they like? I know there are lots out there but when I went to download.com and searched, I got 800 hits. When I tried the "most popular" according to it's ratings, they turned out to be trial-ware. The most popular tool seems to do everything *but* find duplicate filenames. It wanted to "clean up my system". Thanks. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail http://www.softpedia.com/get/S...