Installing a new HD in a Dell that doesn't have a HD. Was: Who has the license for XP, he or I?

As I said in a previous thread, a friend gave me a DELL Inspiron 9600
without the hard drive.  It has the Product Key on the side, and it
came with XP Pro** SP1, but so far my friend hasn't found the original
OEM Dell reinstallation  CD.

I found one that is for XP Pro, but it's SP2, not SP1.  Will it
still work?

Thanks for your help.

**For some reason I thought it had had XP Home on it.

BTW, I learned a lot in the previous thread about the ease and
difficulties of taking a Dell Ccomputer without a hard drive and
fixing it up.

New questions and possible problems keep rearing their head!

0
mm

The SP2 status is not the issue.
It will work fine if the installation XP Pro CD was issued by DELL.
It may work if the installation CD is a non-Dell OEM version, but I would not count on that.
If you can find a friend with a Dell XP Pro CD (any SP version), you are in fat city.
Dell installation CD's were meant for use when replacing a hard drive.
You won't have the hidden diagnostics partition, but that is a plus, not a negative and you won't
have any of the crapware.

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:bbk976l4ld2jv4mmp4altq986a5743g0ae@4ax.com...
> As I said in a previous thread, a friend gave me a DELL Inspiron 9600
> without the hard drive.  It has the Product Key on the side, and it
> came with XP Pro** SP1, but so far my friend hasn't found the original
> OEM Dell reinstallation  CD.
>
> I found one that is for XP Pro, but it's SP2, not SP1.  Will it
> still work?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> **For some reason I thought it had had XP Home on it.
>
> BTW, I learned a lot in the previous thread about the ease and
> difficulties of taking a Dell Ccomputer without a hard drive and
> fixing it up.
>
> New questions and possible problems keep rearing their head!

0
Richard
8/25/2010 4:41:41 PM
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:41:41 -0700, "Richard in AZ"
<me@mailinator.com> wrote:

>The SP2 status is not the issue.
>It will work fine if the installation XP Pro CD was issued by DELL.

Yes, sorry. The CD is Dell.

>It may work if the installation CD is a non-Dell OEM version, but I would not count on that.
>If you can find a friend with a Dell XP Pro CD (any SP version), you are in fat city.
>Dell installation CD's were meant for use when replacing a hard drive.
>You won't have the hidden diagnostics partition, but that is a plus, not a negative and you won't
>have any of the crapware.

Well that is cool!

Thanks a lot.

>"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:bbk976l4ld2jv4mmp4altq986a5743g0ae@4ax.com...
>> As I said in a previous thread, a friend gave me a DELL Inspiron 9600
>> without the hard drive.  It has the Product Key on the side, and it
>> came with XP Pro** SP1, but so far my friend hasn't found the original
>> OEM Dell reinstallation  CD.
>>
>> I found one that is for XP Pro, but it's SP2, not SP1.  Will it
>> still work?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

>> **For some reason I thought it had had XP Home on it.
>>
>> BTW, I learned a lot in the previous thread about the ease and
>> difficulties of taking a Dell Ccomputer without a hard drive and
>> fixing it up.
>>
>> New questions and possible problems keep rearing their head!

0
mm
8/25/2010 4:55:55 PM
mm wrote:
> As I said in a previous thread, a friend gave me a DELL Inspiron 9600
> without the hard drive.  It has the Product Key on the side, and it
> came with XP Pro** SP1, but so far my friend hasn't found the original
> OEM Dell reinstallation  CD.
>
> I found one that is for XP Pro, but it's SP2, not SP1.  Will it
> still work?

Yes.

Better yet would be a Dell-branded OEM XP Pro installation CD at the SP3
level. ;-)

So make sure you install SP3! Post back if you need pointers. One thing
to consider is that you should upgrade to SP3 *before* upgrading IE6.

And get all your drivers ahead of time!

0
Daave
8/26/2010 1:38:58 AM
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:38:58 -0400, "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote:

>mm wrote:
>> As I said in a previous thread, a friend gave me a DELL Inspiron 9600
>> without the hard drive.  It has the Product Key on the side, and it
>> came with XP Pro** SP1, but so far my friend hasn't found the original
>> OEM Dell reinstallation  CD.
>>
>> I found one that is for XP Pro, but it's SP2, not SP1.  Will it
>> still work?
>
>Yes.
>
>Better yet would be a Dell-branded OEM XP Pro installation CD at the SP3
>level. ;-)

I could buy one for 10 to 20 dollars.  Or I could make one if I could
ever get that slipstreaming to work (please, no suggestions about
that.)

>So make sure you install SP3!

OKay.

> Post back if you need pointers. One thing
>to consider is that you should upgrade to SP3 *before* upgrading IE6.

Okay.

>And get all your drivers ahead of time!

I have them, all 382 megs of them.  I guess I should put them on a CD.
But I can do that anytime since I'll still have this computer.

Thanks a lot.

0
mm

RE-Installing

Also Can't Install Latest Update

Downloading email into Outlook on Windows XP into each person's profile
How do you configure Outlook 2002 so that when you download email, it is accessible to all users, regardless of their pprofile settings (Win XP)? If I download the email while in my profile, my wife cannot see the email I downloaded when in her profile. Why? Because at the moment you are using separate .PST files to store your data. You'll need to set up a shared .PST file for e-mail and put it where each of you can access it from your Windows profile. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olshare1.htm for examples. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail a...

Hyperlink to Open in a New Window
I'm really hoping someone can help me. I've created a web page with hyperlinks. The hyperlinks work, but I need them to open in a new window. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do this, but I'm sure there is a way. Thank you so much in advance. Damon -- mojave250 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mojave250's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=8287 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=1826078 http://www.officehelp.in Reference: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/H...

Value Pak Installer

Installation #4

Copy Excel Custom Menus to New Computer
Hi Can anyone tell me if I can copy my Custom menus from excel 2003 to my new computer and how to do it. regards Iain Will you be doing a full install of Office on your new computer? If not, pick out the parts that pertain to your question(the *.XLB file mainly) You thought this was going to be easy, didn't you?<g> Toolbar and Menu customizations are stored in your xxxxxx.XLB file where xxxxxx is version-dependent name. Excel 97.....username.xlb Excel 2000...Excel9.xlb Excel 2002...Excel10.xlb Excel 2003...Excel11.xlb Note: there may be other customizations you want to...

The New Release of RMS
When is this supposed to be comming...anyone??? I heard that RMS Partners were getting a copy of RMS 3.0 in July...of 07' I am pretty sure that didn't happen! -- Thank You Vince :) I think July of 2007 is when 2.0 was released to the public. I havent even read anything about new features and such of 3.00. "Vince" <Nagarra@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message news:ED6C522B-8E7B-4018-9F23-CD78CE32C500@microsoft.com... > When is this supposed to be comming...anyone??? I heard that RMS Partners > were getting a copy of RMS 3.0 in July...of 07' I ...

Installer for my access application

Fresh install, crystal issue.

Installing XP over Linux

CRM SBS install error

Changing new mail defaults
Hi, I've created & saved some outlook 2003 e-mail templates. We can you them by going new => Choose form but i'm wondering if theres anything i can change to make the new button default to that. thanks, Nick http://www.outlookcode.com/d/newdefaultform.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Nick asked: | Hi, | I've created & save...

License questions
I have 12 servers will be upgraded to Windows 2003 server. I have 200 users. How any copies and licenses I need to purchase? Besides, I need install Exchange 2003 on two servers. I will have 200 mailbox. How any licenses I need? Is there any website I can get those license infomation? Thanks in advance! Lisa Licensing questions are best answered by your software vendor. Here are some links. Pricing and Licensing for Medium Organizations http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/howtobuy/medium.mspx Exchange Server 2003 Licensing FAQ http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/howtobuy/licensingFAQ.mspx...

Export comments to new column
Hi, I have an excel spreadsheet with over 2000 rows, the first column has some text and most of the cells have 'comments'. I need to export this comments to a new column. How can this be done without copy/pasting each one individually ? (The column is to the right of the one that has the text and comments). Thanks Alejandro Saved from a previous post: You can retrieve the text from a comment with a userdefined function like: Option Explicit Function GetComment(FCell As Range) As Variant Application.Volatile Set FCell = FCell(1) If FCell.Comment Is Nothin...

Internet Printing: Printer Installation Failed. The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform
Hi. I have a SBS 2003 machine, I have 2 shared printers set up on it for remote users to print via IPP. Both printers are connected to Windows XP workstations. When I browse to https://servername/printers, I see all the printers. I can use the Connect link to install one of the printers on my workstation however if I select the second printer and click on Connect I eventually get the error: Printer Installation Failed The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform. Please contact your administrator to install proper driver files on the server. I've v...

Issue installing KB916803
Hi, I currently have a problem trying to install the above hotfix. I am trying to test this hotfix with Exchange 2003 server running SP2. I have downloaded the SP2 version of the hotfix from MS, but when I try to run it on my Exchange BE server, I get an error back telling me that the version of Exchange I have is too old, and that I need to install SP2 (even though that is what is installed)! I have tried reinstalling SP2, which didnt fix the problem. I then tried installing on a FE server, which had the same issue. I have now tried this in four different E2k3 SP2 servers, and all ...

client installation
i have installed crm 3 server and it working fine. when i try to install the client i get this message :Action microsoft.crm.setup.client.installabpaction failed exception from hresult:08004010f can you help please gil Gil; What version of windows/outlook is installed? Which version of the outlook client are you installing (laptop or desktop)? Are you installing from the CD, or across a network share? At what point does it fail? Dave "Gil Gilon" <Gil Gilon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07D48A61-81B4-4B1C-BF43-9A45A01C5BB7@microsoft.com... &g...

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO INSTALL SPELL CHECK?
Go to www.c360.com. You can download a small spellcheck "add-on" that works with iespell. It's free and it works well. Regards, John ...

Outlook XP (2002) background image tile
I send email out in HTML format; in only one case the recipient's Outlook XP renders the stationary image incorrectly. Instead of the company's image header appearing in the top left of the email body, it is tiled all over the page obscuring the message. I have not had this problem before even on older versions. The recipient gets emails through MS Exchange (I think so at least. Any help much appreciated. Regards, Purg. If it's only one person getting it wrong, it's likely that person's configuration. I don't think Exchange is the issue (but it might be - thi...

Excel won't start after install
After installing office XP excell goes through the motions but never actually starts...help Jon, Try the following: Go to the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and enter Excel.exe /regserver -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:010701c3aad2$20f75500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After installing office XP excell goes through the > motions but never actually starts...help ...