Image backup/rstore vs. clean install/all-file-backup/restore

A general question:

Chris Quirke writes:
"It's a good idea to make a partition image backup of your XP
installation before you start, using something like BING.  Simply
copying off every file is not enough, because unlike Windows 9x, XP
will not work when copied in this way."

If there is no partitin image, would it be sufficient to do a clean
install of XP Gold, and then copy over the file-by-file backup of, for
example, XP with SP3 installed.  Wouldn't that leave everything
bootable, etc. and give the same results as an image restore?
0
mm

mm wrote:
> A general question:
>
> Chris Quirke writes:
> "It's a good idea to make a partition image backup of your XP
> installation before you start, using something like BING.  Simply
> copying off every file is not enough, because unlike Windows 9x, XP
> will not work when copied in this way."
>
> If there is no partitin image, would it be sufficient to do a clean
> install of XP Gold, and then copy over the file-by-file backup of,
> for example, XP with SP3 installed.  Wouldn't that leave everything
> bootable, etc. and give the same results as an image restore?

No.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
12/12/2009 7:37:53 PM
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:37:53 -0600, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>mm wrote:
>> A general question:
>>
>> Chris Quirke writes:
>> "It's a good idea to make a partition image backup of your XP
>> installation before you start, using something like BING.  Simply
>> copying off every file is not enough, because unlike Windows 9x, XP
>> will not work when copied in this way."
>>
>> If there is no partitin image, would it be sufficient to do a clean
>> install of XP Gold, and then copy over the file-by-file backup of,
>> for example, XP with SP3 installed.  Wouldn't that leave everything
>> bootable, etc. and give the same results as an image restore?
>
>No.

Not even functionally?  Wouldn't it still work the same?

>--
>Shenan Stanley
>     MS-MVP

0
mm

mm wrote:
> Not even functionally?  Wouldn't it still work the same?

Probably not even functional.

Use an imaging utility (free or otherwise), some sort of extrernal
drive/network share and make an actual image if you need to.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan

Excel Applications.AddIns("xxxxx").Installed = True?
Working in MS Access VBA, I can make this work with an unqualified function lib name as in: 2319 theSS.AddIns("Function").Installed = True I'm guessing this looks in the path specified by some Office default or another. But I've got users who have that particular library ("Function"....helluva name for a library, I know.... but somebody else made it up...) in different places - depending, I guess, on the parms supplied when Office was installed on their PC. Seems like something along the lines of: 2319 theSS.AddIns("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Of...

Outlook 2003 vs. Windows 2003 and Windows Xp Login
I've a setup where my clients are asked for login everytime they open Outlook. For some reason the system works different from XP to Win 2k3 When a XP user logs in it stores the Username in hkcu\software\microsoft\exchange And the next time he open outlook i remembers the Username. and asks for password. On 2k3, it dosn't write this, and ask for user and pass everytime. Wich makes login irritating for 2k3 users. Tried manualy to enter this info into registry, but no luck. Is that a limit in 2K3 or is there a "feature" i've not been able to discover. (also tried u...

Dell Quad core. Office 2007. very slow to open a file
When I click on an xlsx or docx file it takes a long, long time for it to come up. This was also true with Office 2003 so I bought a copy of Office 2007. On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 07:45:01 -0800, the Count <the Count@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I click on an xlsx or docx file it takes a long, long time for it to >come up. This was also true with Office 2003 so I bought a copy of Office >2007. Do you have a question, Your Excellency? If you have questions about .xlsx files it might be well to post them in an Excel newsgroup; there are Word groups for .docx file...

Cannot create file error. Cannot open or save tif files...please h
Error I an receiving when trying to open a tif file as follows: Cannot create file:Remittance_advice.tif.right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder I am using windows vista and office 2007 outlook I cannot open or save a tif file. I can open all other file attachments. I can forward to another pc in my office and they can open. they can rename the tif and resend to me and I can open. original name is remittance_advice.tif and renamed is remittance_advice1.tif. this just start...

Can message be directed to file folder and recipient at the same t
Trying to send message to person x and at the same time have it filed in another folder other than the "Sent" folder. Is it possible to do this? Yes it is! Click on the Options button in that email and under Delivery Options there should be a checkmark to "Save Sent Message to" and you'll see that the default displayed is Sent Items. Click the Browse button and select your folder from the list. -- K. Orland Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts - Marcus Aurelius "Jimp...&quo...

How do I convert an Excel file to a CSV file?
I am new to Excel and am trying to learn as I go. I am trying to convert my Excel Spreadsheet to an CSV file. Is there a simple way to do this? File>Save As>Save as Type In 2007 Button>Save As>Other Format>Save as Type You will find *.CSV in the list. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:21:02 -0800, beagleyt <beagleyt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am new to Excel and am trying to learn as I go. I am trying to convert my >Excel Spreadsheet to an CSV file. Is there a simple way to do this? ...

personal backup files
I am trying to export Outlook backup files (.pst) to my desktop so that I can then save them on CD. When I go to open them, a message says this is not a vaild WIN32 application. Am I doing something wrong in the process? Neil Dubin Don't export but simply copy your pst-file to a CD when Outlook is closed. When you want to restore it copy it back to your harddisk and remove the "Read Only" file attribute. Then connect to it by using File-> Open-> Outlook Data File. For more info see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-O...

Importing of files
My computer crashes and I have to install all my OS and software again. All my previous message in the outlook cannot be import back. I back up only the dbx files and did not do any export of message. Is this why I cannot import my message back? I am using outlook 2002 If you're using dbx files, you are not using Outlook "Ian" <muiok@pacific.net.sg> wrote in message news:026701c34e62$3b723d90$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My computer crashes and I have to install all my OS and > software again. All my previous message in the outlook > cannot be import back. I back up ...

document imager
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <i>have microsoft office for mac 2008, student edition, i am trying to scan a document so that i can edit it, older versions of word had something called OCR that would enable you to do this, i cannot find it on my version, how do i do it?</i> What you're referring to is Twain support which requires VBA. Since there's no VBA in Office 2008 there's no Twain support. The only real difference is that you cannot scan directly into your document. You'll need to use the software that c...

Help required on file transfer....
Hi i am Mujtaba working on file transfer application. Application should transfer and recieve files (any file any size). But i don't want to use FTP commands or WinInet classes. Could socket been used? if yes then CAsynSocket or CSocket for files what MFC class CFile of CSocketFile? My this application will run on LAN as well as on WAN. Could anybody please help me... Mujtaba The simplest way to transfer a file is to use the TransmitFile API. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/transmitfile_2.asp But it requires XP or Win2000 or bet...

How do I set up Publisher to find clip art file for border art?
I have Microsoft Office2003 installed with a typical install on a HP pavillion lap top using Windows Vista. When I try to add custom border art I am offered a collection of pictures from clip art, but when I select a picture and try to insert it into the border art I get a message that says "Publisher can not find file. I have exactly the same installation on an older desktop computer running XP and I have no problem. One help file I found says that this results from moving files or installing a new hard drive - but I have done none of these things. Why can't Publisher find...

Error installing outlook client on office 2007/vista
Hi I have run into a problem installing the outlook client on vista / office 2007. Initially the setup program detected the CRM SQL2005 express edition missing (whcih I duely instructed it to install) and incorrectly detected ..NET 1.1 SP1 missing (1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 are all installed on the laptop). The setup program would not install the .NET 1.1 so I eventually reinstalled this manually (despite it being already present). Now if I rerun the crm setup program I recieve the following error after accepting the licence screen: "The type initializer for Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Com...

Vista wont load after windows update installed
Today Windows said I needed to install some items to update but one failed. I clocked try to install again and it suggested I restart. After restarting, Vista would not boot. Only a black screen. I restarted with F8 and got only 2 choices: repair or start normal. Starting normal starts this black screen with a typr of file filtering that says: !! 0xc0190036 !! ###/87982 (filename.dll). I tried to repair, but it goes through and clicking finish, it restarts and the same thing starts over! the black screen with files running. the ### area changes and the filename, but it w...

Document Imaging
I have two issues related to this. First, Document Imaging is not showing in 2010 beta. I have done a complete install, and told the install to run all from my computer. I have Windows 7 64 and I cannot find Document Imaging. A related problem is on my machine also running 7 64 and I have Office 2007, Document Imaging appears but the Document Imaging Printer doesn't appear. Is this a 64 bit issue? If so, why are they making a big fuss that 2010 will be available in 64 bit. Why have the 64 bit if you have reduced functionality? ...

Installation of Publisher 2003
Can Publisher 2003 be installed on a computer running windows 2000 with office 2002 already loaded on it? As long as you have Windows 2000 SP3 you should be fine. "Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1755b01c41825$012b0670$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Can Publisher 2003 be installed on a computer running > windows 2000 with office 2002 already loaded on it? ...

import file problem
I need to import a text file every 30 minutes into SQL. The text file looks like this One, two, three One, two, three One, two, three, four, five, six, seven One, two, three One, two three, One, two, three, four So you see number of columns varies. But the SQL import wizard sets up the number of columns based the very first line of the input file. So the file on SQL looks like this: Column 1 Column2 Column3 One Two Three One Two Three One Two three, four, five, six, seven One two three One two three One two three,four ...

IMAGE
Hello I have set up some stationery but my nice crisp clean company logo looks poor qualiy when I do a test and receive it back in the email. It looks very good in outlook when sending but not so on receiving - does Outlook compress images to a certain quality - can I do something to ensure good quality image? thanks Jeff ...

Cannot access Internet after installing ISA2004 on SBS 2003 R2
Hi I've a clean install of SBS 2003 R2 Premium on a box with two NIC's configured as follows: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : srv-01 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : MyCompany.local Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : MyCompany.local Ethernet adapter Network Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Physic...

office 2007 will not load, missing file SKU011.CAB...Help!
can not install MS Office Standard 2007, error message states that file SKU011.CAB is missing. Previously did install on lap top (windows 7). Will not install on desk top (windows XP). Can someone help? Office 2007 requires at least XP with SP2. If that's not the problem, then take a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818234/en-us -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word Bible Blog: http://word.herbtyson.com Web: http://www.herbtyson.com "Hoot" <Hoot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98013A41-0F20-4CA6-A31D-68C57B3D5967@mic...

Hotfix for KB 969168 fails to install. Now what?
I'm trying to run Office XP on a new cleanly-installed Windows 7 64 bit system. I get the exact symptoms as described in KB article 969168 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969168), concerning the need for the missing Microsoft Agent. So I requested and received the associated hotfix. When I go to install the hotfix, the install fails with "not applicable to your computer." Needless to say, the Office XP problem remains. What do I do next? Also, Outlook does not retain the email account passwords, even though the "remember password" box is checked...

Payroll Install
Hi, Could somebody tell us if there is a way to install payroll so the system does not ask for HRP dictionary? Thank you -- Gilberto Villegas GP Business Solutions partner Gilberto, I guess Payroll get installed by default without having to select the Human Resources Feature in Add/Remove Features while installing the GP if you are registered for the same. Are you getting this error following the same path? -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Gilberto" wrote: > Hi, > > Could somebody tell us if there is a way to install payroll s...

problem outputing a file to CMYK PDF for commerical printing
Hello, My commerical printing store said to give them a CMYK PDF file. My publications contains several large photos mostly in RGB but some in CMYK. Do they all need to be converted to CMYK originally prior to being embedded to publisher. I read in a post that it is best that that I import my images in RGB and allow Publisher to convert to CMYK, can you please verify this. Most importantly I am trying to output a file to CMYK PDF for commerrcial printing but I always get an error at the end of the procedure that reads "failed to print" and no output file. I read this other...

following backup program keeps asking for backup .pst (outlook 2003)
Hi I used the backup feature for the first time on outlook 2003. Since then every time i turn on the program i get the message can not find backup.pst. I then find my .pst file in the outlook folder, but still I get the messages. Any ideas? Thanks Tim ...

Add image over other images
Hey guys, Basically I have two pictures: A map (quite a large picture) A symbol (quite small and to be placed over the map at specified points) Anyone have any idea how I could go about this? Thanks in advance for any help! Am 05.05.2010 05:51, schrieb bourkeyo: > Basically I have two pictures: > > A map (quite a large picture) > A symbol (quite small and to be placed over the map at specified points) > > Anyone have any idea how I could go about this? Take a look at the following classes/methods: 'Bitmap': Constructor and 'Save' m...

How do I set up a tickler file?
I need to be able to set up a tickler file where I can enter a name and discharge date then have the program automatically remind me to take an action in 2 months. I am using office pro 2003.I would like to do this in excel or outlook. Why not use Outlook's calendar function? -- Ken Russell kenrussellyourhat@optushome.com.au Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail .. "moe3rd" <moe3rd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB1A0479-4242-4E05-8BFD-AAB264F948ED@microsoft.com... >I need to be able to set up a tickler file where I can enter a name and > discha...