I need help with windows xp home edition.

I currently have windows 7 prof. installed but I would like to reboot and
install windows xp home edition instead. ( for my own reasons ) I have the
windows xp home edition disk but when I reboot with it in my dvd drive it
just freezes. When I am running windows 7 and I put the disk in, it won't let
me click on install windows xp. If someone can help me, I would greatly
appreciate it. Thanks

you had best check and see if you can locate all the drivers for all your
hardware, using XP, if the pc was supplied with 7, you may be out of luck
trying to get hardware drivers.

"Syikogod" wrote:

> I currently have windows 7 prof. installed but I would like to reboot and
> install windows xp home edition instead. ( for my own reasons ) I have the
> windows xp home edition disk but when I reboot with it in my dvd drive it
> just freezes. When I am running windows 7 and I put the disk in, it won't let
> me click on install windows xp. If someone can help me, I would greatly
> appreciate it. Thanks
Go into the CMOS settings (usually Del or F2 at startup) and change the SATA
disk access-mode from Native or AHCI to Legacy or IDE emulation.

The menu where you find this varies, though it's usually under 'Integrated
Peripherals.'

Also note that you cannot install XP to a Vista/7 NTFS volume. You need to
format. Thus, save any data you need before starting.

Syikogod <Syikogod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I currently have windows 7 prof. installed but I would like to reboot and
>install windows xp home edition instead. ( for my own reasons ) I have the
>windows xp home edition disk but when I reboot with it in my dvd drive it
>just freezes. When I am running windows 7 and I put the disk in, it won't let
>me click on install windows xp. If someone can help me, I would greatly
>appreciate it. Thanks

Either of those things would be a downgrade (WinXP Pro => WinXP Home,
Win7 => WinXP Home), and downgrades are not supported. The only way to
do it would be to wipe the current OS away and install from scratch.
Definitely *far* more trouble than it could possibly be worth.

You might consider dual-boot, or installing WinXP Home in a virtual
machine.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov
Anteaus wrote:

> Also note that you cannot install XP to a Vista/7 NTFS volume. You
> need to format. Thus, save any data you need before starting.

Huh?

0
HeyBub
1/28/2010 9:57:19 PM
Hey boob,

What he is trying to say is that you need to reformat your HD if your
system came with Win7.  XP will not install on a system with Win 7 pre
installed unless you wipe the disk clean (Pig-Bear says with soap and
water but I disagree!).

hth

HeyBub wrote:

> Anteaus wrote:
> >
> > Also note that you cannot install XP to a Vista/7 NTFS volume. You
> > need to format. Thus, save any data you need before starting.
> >

> Huh?
0
ANONYMOUS
1/28/2010 11:10:32 PM

sgopus wrote:

> you had best check and see if you can locate all the drivers for all your
> hardware, using XP, if the pc was supplied with 7, you may be out of luck
> trying to get hardware drivers.

Not necessarily.  Most vendors are still using the old hardware to
install Win7.  For example DELL and HP, the two major vendors we deal
with are shipping their old machines with Win 7 installed.  when I say
old machines I don't mean used or second hand ones.  Old machines means
systems which have been around for some time originally shipped with XP
or Vista.
0
ANONYMOUS
1/28/2010 11:22:01 PM
ANONYMOUS wrote:
> Hey boob,
>
> What he is trying to say is that you need to reformat your HD if your
> system came with Win7.  XP will not install on a system with Win 7 pre
> installed unless you wipe the disk clean (Pig-Bear says with soap and
> water but I disagree!).
>
> hth

Ah, okay. I read his post as being unable to install to a NTFS volume.
Period.

Thanks for explaining it.

> HeyBub wrote:
>>
>> Anteaus wrote:
>>>
>>> Also note that you cannot install XP to a Vista/7 NTFS volume. You
>>> need to format. Thus, save any data you need before starting.
>>>

>> Huh?

0
HeyBub

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Faxing Within Outlook 2003 on WIndows XP
I've always enjoyed the simplicity (and non-bloatness) of the simple Windows fax system that started back in Win95 and Windows Messaging days (or was it even earlier than that?). Nothing realy fancy, but easy to teach anyone to fax who knew how to e-mail. And the added benefit of storing all faxes within an Outlook folder. But no more. It's gone with Outlook 2003 and Windows XP. No more fax sharing using a folder for the share either. No more fax/mail within Outlook. Or is it gone? Does anyone know a simple way to fax within Outlook 2003 and Windows XP? Appreciated. Fax sharing we...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Floating Window
I've got a spreadsheet that comprises about ten worksheets. The spreadsheet allows for about five different scenarios to be reviewed. At the moment to change scenarios, I have to change a cell in a particular worksheet. But what I want to be able to do is have a small window (that always stays on top of the open worksheet) where I can switch scenarios by changing the number in that window. That way I can see the data in the worksheet change. Can SKS help - or suggest an alternative approach. Tx Rob Should have added - it's excel 2007 "RobFJ" <del**eteto**rfj10...

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Cannot shut down Windows 7
I upgraded my HP laptop from Vista to W7. Now Outlook 2007 keeps freezing and has to be killed off using Task Manager. In addition I cannot close down Windows if I am connected to the network. I can restart in safe mode, or if I unplug the network cable but if I am plugged in, it gets to shutting down and hangs. Have left it for an hour or so but nothing seems to help. <http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/WindowsAnswers> -=- "NevilleT" wrote: > I upgraded my HP laptop from Vista to W7. Now Outlook 2007 keeps freezing > and has...

Great Plains Companies should allow window color settings
It would be helpful if Great Plains would allow different window color schemes for each Company. This would be especially beneficial to identify when you are in a Test company. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions...

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

Struggling with Windows Live Mail configuration
Hello, I've been searching on and off here and on the 'net in general, ever since moving to Windows 7 from XP last November. Outlook Express may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it suited my workflow very well. Windows Live Mail is naturally the closest match to OE, but so far I can't get it configured to work as efficiently for me. I do have some preferences which may be at the heart of my troubles with WLM. But I hope someone can help me overcome them. 1. I prefer to request all receiving and sending of email and newsgroup posts manually. So all of ...

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

office pacakge in windows 2000 NT
I have an windows 2000 server and i want to use microsoft office applications in it. what are the requirements for it? please mail me at jojodas50@hotmail.com Thanks & Regards, Jo ...

In Cell Editing
Hi there: Been using Excel for years but haven't asked this question until now... Could have saved myself a few days likely! Anyway, say I type BACON in a cell and press enter or tab - the focus moves to the cell below. If I arrow back up to the cell that has BACON in it, how do I start editing it without double clicking on it with the mouse? I don't want to delete BACON and start again, I want to edit BACON. After I'm done, I want to eat bacon. haha Thanks Press F2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in ...

I need Help

need help badly

Windows 7 automatic clicks
I have moved to Win 7 (64b). Now when I click on a button on a form I have to quickly move the cursor off the button or it will automatically execute another click. How do I prevent this? Thank you Answered in your post 4 hours later. ...

Windows update doesn't finish, why ??
Windows update doesn't go past "loading Windows update doesn't go past 1 of 15" It stays there doing nothing. What do i do?? Provide more details on your system. Operating System. Service Pack Level. Architecture (32 or 64 bit.) Last time you installed updates (15 at once?) successfully. What happens if you boot into Safe Mode. -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html "Jim C." <Jim C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A59395EB-E564-41F1-9A3...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...