I killed a friend's computer!!

Please forgive the vagueness of the following description of my problem, but
I don't know any more than what I'm about to write.  Someone gave my friend
a used HP Pavilion computer.  It was running slowly, so she asked me to
help.  The computer had not been used in two or more years and needed an
antivirus program, firewall, etc.  After I installed the Comodo firewall, I
checked the applications that were running in the memory.  I was given the
choice of terminating or of terminating and blocking.  I chose the
terminating option and eliminated about 10 unnecessary applications.  That
did speed the computer up, so I shut it down , restarted it, and checked to
see that those same 10 items did in fact reappear on that list.  Since
terminating them had not affected the computer in any way, I decided to
terminate and block them permanently.  Just as I was clicking on one of
them, my friend came up from behind, and startled me.  I guess my mouse hand
slipped and highlighted the wrong application, and I accidentally terminated
and blocked something that had to do with system32.  A box popped up saying
that the computer was getting ready to terminate the application and restart
in 60 seconds. (I think that was how long)  I tried to stop that termination
but could not find a way to do it.  Suddenly the computer shut off without
shutting down WindowsXP.  When it restarted, it put up the HP logo screen
followed by the WindowsXP logo screen (the one with the little bar that
moves back and forth) that comes up before the computer starts.  When that
disappeared, the only thing left was a black screen with the white mouse
pointer.  I could move the pointer with the mouse.  That's it.  I held down
the power button on the CPU to turn it off, but when I started it up again,
the same thing happened.  The original owner of the computer doesn't have
the XP installation CD.  Is there anything I can do to bring this thing back
to life?  Any help will be appreciated.

0
Pam

On 9/9/2010 4:29 PM,  Pam wrote:
> Please forgive the vagueness of the following description of my problem, but
> I don't know any more than what I'm about to write.  Someone gave my friend
> a used HP Pavilion computer.  It was running slowly, so she asked me to
> help.  The computer had not been used in two or more years and needed an
> antivirus program, firewall, etc.  After I installed the Comodo firewall, I
> checked the applications that were running in the memory.  I was given the
> choice of terminating or of terminating and blocking.  I chose the
> terminating option and eliminated about 10 unnecessary applications.  That
> did speed the computer up, so I shut it down , restarted it, and checked to
> see that those same 10 items did in fact reappear on that list.  Since
> terminating them had not affected the computer in any way, I decided to
> terminate and block them permanently.  Just as I was clicking on one of
> them, my friend came up from behind, and startled me.  I guess my mouse hand
> slipped and highlighted the wrong application, and I accidentally terminated
> and blocked something that had to do with system32.  A box popped up saying
> that the computer was getting ready to terminate the application and restart
> in 60 seconds. (I think that was how long)  I tried to stop that termination
> but could not find a way to do it.  Suddenly the computer shut off without
> shutting down WindowsXP.  When it restarted, it put up the HP logo screen
> followed by the WindowsXP logo screen (the one with the little bar that
> moves back and forth) that comes up before the computer starts.  When that
> disappeared, the only thing left was a black screen with the white mouse
> pointer.  I could move the pointer with the mouse.  That's it.  I held down
> the power button on the CPU to turn it off, but when I started it up again,
> the same thing happened.  The original owner of the computer doesn't have
> the XP installation CD.  Is there anything I can do to bring this thing back
> to life?  Any help will be appreciated.

did you try using an XP CD to do a repair?

0
Mike
9/9/2010 11:49:58 PM
<snip>

> did you try using an XP CD to do a repair?

I should have suggested this first:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration
feature in Windows XP

To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration
feature, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start"
    message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys
    to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings
    that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the
    ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

Will that work?
----------------------

Then you  might want to take a look at this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Autoruns for Windows v10.02

This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of
auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs
are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the
entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones
in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can
configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell
extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications,
auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the
MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.

.....To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. To delete an
auto-start configuration entry use the Delete menu item or toolbar button.
0
Mike
9/9/2010 11:55:07 PM
" Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> wrote in message
> I chose the terminating option and eliminated about 10 unnecessary
> applications.  That did speed the computer up, so I shut it down ,
> restarted it, and checked to see that those same 10 items did in fact
> reappear on that list.  Since

Sounds like a normal behavior.

> terminating them had not affected the computer in any way, I decided to
> terminate and block them permanently.

How? What was your plan to block those running processes?

> When that disappeared, the only thing left was a black screen with the
> white mouse pointer.  I could move the pointer with the mouse.  That's it.
> I held down the power button on the CPU to turn it off, but when I started
> it up again, the same thing happened.  The original owner of the computer
> doesn't have the XP installation CD.  Is there anything I can do to bring
> this thing back to life?  Any help will be appreciated.

Try pulling the power cord. Wait for 30 seconds. Plug it back in.

0
John
9/9/2010 11:56:13 PM
> ...Someone gave my friend
> a used HP Pavilion computer.  It was running slowly, so she asked me to
> help.

Remember your mother saying, "Take that out of your mouth, you don't know
where it's been!"

 Pam wrote:
> Please forgive the vagueness of the following description of my problem,
> but
> I don't know any more than what I'm about to write.  Someone gave my
> friend
> a used HP Pavilion computer.  It was running slowly, so she asked me to
> help.  The computer had not been used in two or more years and needed an
> antivirus program, firewall, etc.  After I installed the Comodo firewall,
> checked the applications that were running in the memory.  I was given the
> choice of terminating or of terminating and blocking.  I chose the
> terminating option and eliminated about 10 unnecessary applications.  That
> did speed the computer up, so I shut it down , restarted it, and checked
> see that those same 10 items did in fact reappear on that list.  Since
> terminating them had not affected the computer in any way, I decided to
> terminate and block them permanently.  Just as I was clicking on one of
> them, my friend came up from behind, and startled me.  I guess my mouse
> hand
> slipped and highlighted the wrong application, and I accidentally
> terminated
> and blocked something that had to do with system32.  A box popped up
> saying
> that the computer was getting ready to terminate the application and
> restart
> in 60 seconds. (I think that was how long)  I tried to stop that
> termination
> but could not find a way to do it.  Suddenly the computer shut off without
> shutting down WindowsXP.  When it restarted, it put up the HP logo screen
> followed by the WindowsXP logo screen (the one with the little bar that
> moves back and forth) that comes up before the computer starts.  When that
> disappeared, the only thing left was a black screen with the white mouse
> pointer.  I could move the pointer with the mouse.  That's it.  I held
> down
> the power button on the CPU to turn it off, but when I started it up
> again,
> the same thing happened.  The original owner of the computer doesn't have
> the XP installation CD.  Is there anything I can do to bring this thing
> back
> to life?  Any help will be appreciated.

0
PA
9/10/2010 1:23:47 AM
 Pam wrote:
> Please forgive the vagueness of the following description of my
> problem, but I don't know any more than what I'm about to write.
> Someone gave my friend a used HP Pavilion computer.  It was running
> slowly, so she asked me to help.  The computer had not been used in
> two or more years and needed an antivirus program, firewall, etc.
> After I installed the Comodo firewall, I checked the applications
> that were running in the memory.  I was given the choice of
> terminating or of terminating and blocking.  I chose the terminating
> option and eliminated about 10 unnecessary applications.  That did
> speed the computer up, so I shut it down , restarted it, and checked
> to see that those same 10 items did in fact reappear on that list.
> Since terminating them had not affected the computer in any way, I
> decided to terminate and block them permanently.  Just as I was
> clicking on one of them, my friend came up from behind, and startled
> me.  I guess my mouse hand slipped and highlighted the wrong
> application, and I accidentally terminated and blocked something that
> had to do with system32.  A box popped up saying that the computer
> was getting ready to terminate the application and restart in 60
> seconds. (I think that was how long)  I tried to stop that
> termination but could not find a way to do it.  Suddenly the computer
> shut off without shutting down WindowsXP.  When it restarted, it put
> up the HP logo screen followed by the WindowsXP logo screen (the one
> with the little bar that moves back and forth) that comes up before
> the computer starts.  When that disappeared, the only thing left was
> a black screen with the white mouse pointer.  I could move the
> pointer with the mouse.  That's it.  I held down the power button on
> the CPU to turn it off, but when I started it up again, the same
> thing happened.  The original owner of the computer doesn't have the
> XP installation CD.  Is there anything I can do to bring this thing
> back to life?  Any help will be appreciated.

Try this first:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

0
Daave
9/10/2010 1:32:05 AM
The owner doesn't have the original XP CD that was used to install XP on
that computer.  Is it possible to use the XP CD that came with my own
computer to try to do a repair?  I've always thought that Microsoft put
something on those CDs to prevent people from using a CD on more than one
computer. Also - if I were to try the Last Known Good Configuration, all I'd
see after starting the computer would be a black screen and a mouse pointer.
Nowhere is there a message about selecting an operating system.
"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
>> did you try using an XP CD to do a repair?
>
> I should have suggested this first:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852
>
> How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration
> feature in Windows XP
>
> To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature,
> follow these steps:
>
> 1. Start your computer.
> 2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start"
>    message, press the F8 key.
> 3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys
>    to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings
>    that worked), and then press ENTER.
> 4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the
>    ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.
>
> Will that work?
> ----------------------
>
> Then you  might want to take a look at this:
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
>
> Autoruns for Windows v10.02
>
> This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting
> locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured
> to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the
> order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup
> folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns
> to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars,
> browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and
> much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with
> Windows Me and XP.
>
> ....To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. To delete an
> auto-start configuration entry use the Delete menu item or toolbar button.

0
Pam
9/10/2010 2:13:12 AM
Shutting down those processes was not the problem.  I had already shut them
down one time, and doing that allowed the computer to speed up and runa
whole lot better.  It was the second time, when I was using the "terminate
and block" option that my hand slipped and I highlighted the wrong process.
Whatever that system32 process was that I accidentally terminated caused the
computer to turn off and not come up on restart.  I tried pulling the power
cord off the back of the CPU.  That didn't work.
"John" <a> wrote in message news:eYq3WqHULHA.456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> " Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> wrote in message
>> I chose the terminating option and eliminated about 10 unnecessary
>> applications.  That did speed the computer up, so I shut it down ,
>> restarted it, and checked to see that those same 10 items did in fact
>> reappear on that list.  Since
>
> Sounds like a normal behavior.
>
>> terminating them had not affected the computer in any way, I decided to
>> terminate and block them permanently.
>
> How? What was your plan to block those running processes?
>
>> When that disappeared, the only thing left was a black screen with the
>> white mouse pointer.  I could move the pointer with the mouse.  That's
>> it. I held down the power button on the CPU to turn it off, but when I
>> started it up again, the same thing happened.  The original owner of the
>> computer doesn't have the XP installation CD.  Is there anything I can do
>> to bring this thing back to life?  Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Try pulling the power cord. Wait for 30 seconds. Plug it back in.

0
Pam
9/10/2010 2:21:29 AM
Thanks so much, guys, for all the help.  I think I'll bring that computer to
my house so that I can try some of these suggestions on the Microsoft web
site without having to print everything.  I'll post back with my results
ASAP.
" Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> wrote in message
> Please forgive the vagueness of the following description of my problem,
> but I don't know any more than what I'm about to write.  Someone gave my
> friend a used HP Pavilion computer.  It was running slowly, so she asked
> me to help.  The computer had not been used in two or more years and
> needed an antivirus program, firewall, etc.  After I installed the Comodo
> firewall, I checked the applications that were running in the memory.  I
> was given the choice of terminating or of terminating and blocking.  I
> chose the terminating option and eliminated about 10 unnecessary
> applications.  That did speed the computer up, so I shut it down ,
> restarted it, and checked to see that those same 10 items did in fact
> reappear on that list.  Since terminating them had not affected the
> computer in any way, I decided to terminate and block them permanently.
> Just as I was clicking on one of them, my friend came up from behind, and
> startled me.  I guess my mouse hand slipped and highlighted the wrong
> application, and I accidentally terminated and blocked something that had
> to do with system32.  A box popped up saying that the computer was getting
> ready to terminate the application and restart in 60 seconds. (I think
> that was how long)  I tried to stop that termination but could not find a
> way to do it.  Suddenly the computer shut off without shutting down
> WindowsXP.  When it restarted, it put up the HP logo screen followed by
> the WindowsXP logo screen (the one with the little bar that moves back and
> forth) that comes up before the computer starts.  When that disappeared,
> the only thing left was a black screen with the white mouse pointer.  I
> could move the pointer with the mouse.  That's it.  I held down the power
> button on the CPU to turn it off, but when I started it up again, the same
> thing happened.  The original owner of the computer doesn't have the XP
> installation CD.  Is there anything I can do to bring this thing back to
> life?  Any help will be appreciated.

0
Pam
9/10/2010 2:27:38 AM
You have to constantly tap the F8 Key as the computer is first booting up to get the "last Known
Good Configuration" option.
You will not be able to use your Windows CD is your disk is a different version that what was used
in the computer (and I bet dollars to donuts it is a different version.)

In that same screen that give you the "last known good configuration" option you will also have the
option to go to the "SAFE MODE".
In the Safe Mode, the desktop look crappie, but you can then use the "System Restore" feature in the
All Programs-Accessories- System Tools folder to set the computer system file back to before you
killed your friend PC.

" Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> wrote in message news:exw522IULHA.2100@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> The owner doesn't have the original XP CD that was used to install XP on that computer.  Is it
> possible to use the XP CD that came with my own computer to try to do a repair?  I've always
> thought that Microsoft put something on those CDs to prevent people from using a CD on more than
> one computer. Also - if I were to try the Last Known Good Configuration, all I'd see after
> starting the computer would be a black screen and a mouse pointer. Nowhere is there a message
> about selecting an operating system.
> "Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:i6bs4q$fhk$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>> <snip>
>>
>>> did you try using an XP CD to do a repair?
>>
>> I should have suggested this first:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852
>>
>> How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP
>>
>> To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
>>
>> 1. Start your computer.
>> 2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start"
>>    message, press the F8 key.
>> 3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys
>>    to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings
>>    that worked), and then press ENTER.
>> 4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the
>>    ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.
>>
>> Will that work?
>> ----------------------
>>
>> Then you  might want to take a look at this:
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
>>
>> Autoruns for Windows v10.02
>>
>> This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any
>> startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and
>> shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your
>> startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns to show other
>> locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon
>> notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility
>> bundled with Windows Me and XP.
>>
>> ....To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. To delete an auto-start configuration
>> entry use the Delete menu item or toolbar button.

0
Richard
9/10/2010 2:29:05 AM
Thanks a million, Richard.  I'm going to give all this a try as soon as I
can get my hands on that computer again.  I feel horribly guilty, because I
know that my actions caused the damage.
"Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>>
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
>>>
>>> Autoruns for Windows v10.02
>>>
>>> This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of
>>> auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs
>>> are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the
>>> entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones
>>> in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can
>>> configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell
>>> extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications,
>>> auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the
>>> MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.
>>>
>>> ....To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. To delete an
>>> auto-start configuration entry use the Delete menu item or toolbar

0
Pam
9/10/2010 3:41:55 AM
" Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> wrote in

> Please forgive the vagueness of the following description of my
> problem, but I don't know any more than what I'm about to write.
> Someone gave my friend a used HP Pavilion computer.  It was running
> slowly, so she asked me to help.  The computer had not been used in
> two or more years and needed an antivirus program, firewall, etc.
> After I installed the Comodo firewall, I checked the applications that
> were running in the memory.  I was given the choice of terminating or
> of terminating and blocking.  I chose the terminating option and
> eliminated about 10 unnecessary applications.  That did speed the
> computer up, so I shut it down , restarted it, and checked to see that
> those same 10 items did in fact reappear on that list.  Since
> terminating them had not affected the computer in any way, I decided
> to terminate and block them permanently.  Just as I was clicking on
> one of them, my friend came up from behind, and startled me.  I guess
> my mouse hand slipped and highlighted the wrong application, and I
> accidentally terminated and blocked something that had to do with
> system32.  A box popped up saying that the computer was getting ready
> to terminate the application and restart in 60 seconds. (I think that
> was how long)  I tried to stop that termination but could not find a
> way to do it.  Suddenly the computer shut off without shutting down
> WindowsXP.  When it restarted, it put up the HP logo screen followed
> by the WindowsXP logo screen (the one with the little bar that moves
> back and forth) that comes up before the computer starts.  When that
> disappeared, the only thing left was a black screen with the white
> mouse pointer.  I could move the pointer with the mouse.  That's it.
> I held down the power button on the CPU to turn it off, but when I
> started it up again, the same thing happened.  The original owner of
> the computer doesn't have the XP installation CD.  Is there anything I
> can do to bring this thing back to life?  Any help will be
> appreciated.

 Having read the other replies, no one has yet come up with what I would
probably do, considering the symptoms. Use your own XP CD to boot up. It
has to be in the drive when you turn the computer on. Hopefully your
friend's computer is set up so that booting from the CD drive is at the
top of the boot priority list. If not, that can be fixed too, but I won't
get into that unless it turns out to be necessary. You will fdirst get a
message that says "Press any key to boot from CD". Make sure to do so
before the message goes away. When the computer finally gets booted up to
a blue screen, one of the options you'll have is "R" for the recovery
console. Pick that option. The screen will go black for a bit and
eventually you'll come to a prompt that will look something like this:
(1) C:\WINDOWS
(2) - There probably won't be a second option
Then it'll tell you to choose which system you want to access.
If option 1 is C:\WINDOWS, the type in the number 1 and press enter. If
C:\WINDOWS is NOT #1, then type in whatever number IS and press enter. At
this point you may come to a prompt asking for a password. If you do,
don't enter anything, just push ENTER. You will then come to a prompt
that says "C:\WINDOWS". At this prompt type in "CHKDSK /P" (without the
quotes). This process can take quite a while. It will hang at 50% and
again at 75% but it'll eventually end. You'll get a summary message will
will most likely include "CHKDSK found one or more errors on this drive.
Regardless of what it says, then type "FIXBOOT" and then "Y" at the next
prompt. When that one is done then type "EXIT" abd push the ENTER key.
This will reboot your computer. Take the CD out whiole it is rebooting.
Cross your fingers. There's a pretty good chance you've got it fixed. If
not, you haven't hurt it any... :-)
I'm sure the people who understand what I'm talking about are probably
amused at my efforts, but I tried. I'm better at understanding it than I
am at explaining it!

--
           --- Hurry before this group goes away! ---
0
"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> that says "C:\WINDOWS". At this prompt type in "CHKDSK /P" (without the
> quotes). This process can take quite a while. It will hang at 50% and
> again at 75% but it'll eventually end. You'll get a summary message will
> will most likely include "CHKDSK found one or more errors on this drive.
> Regardless of what it says, then type "FIXBOOT" and then "Y" at the next
> prompt. When that one is done then type "EXIT" abd push the ENTER key.
> This will reboot your computer. Take the CD out whiole it is rebooting.
> Cross your fingers. There's a pretty good chance you've got it fixed. If
> not, you haven't hurt it any... :-)
> I'm sure the people who understand what I'm talking about are probably
> amused at my efforts, but I tried. I'm better at understanding it than I
> am at explaining it!
>
> --
>           --- Hurry before this group goes away! ---

9/10/2010 2:08:08 PM
> Shutting down those processes was not the problem.  I had already shut
> them down one time, and doing that allowed the computer to speed up and
> runa whole lot better.  It was the second time, when I was using the
> "terminate and block" option that my hand slipped and I highlighted the
> wrong process.

How exactly did you do this? Are you talking about stopping/disabling
services in the Services console (C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.msc)?

> Whatever that system32 process was that I accidentally terminated caused
> the computer to turn off and not come up on restart.  I tried pulling the
> power cord off the back of the CPU.  That didn't work.

No, of course not if you blocked a critical (part of the operating system)
service/process from running. Someone already mentioned the F8 trick to get
to either Safe Mode or Last Known Good configuration. Follow that and let us
know. Good luck.

0
John
9/10/2010 4:57:47 PM
I'm thrilled!  Thanks to you guys, I have the computer back up and running
beautifully.  That trick about tapping the F-8 key did the trick.  I was
able to start the computer in safe mode, go to System Restore, and restore
the computer to the time just before I killed it.  I wish I could give each
of you a big hug!  Thanks again!   .....Pam
> [...]
>> that says "C:\WINDOWS". At this prompt type in "CHKDSK /P" (without the
>> quotes). This process can take quite a while. It will hang at 50% and
>> again at 75% but it'll eventually end. You'll get a summary message will
>> will most likely include "CHKDSK found one or more errors on this drive.
>> Regardless of what it says, then type "FIXBOOT" and then "Y" at the next
>> prompt. When that one is done then type "EXIT" abd push the ENTER key.
>> This will reboot your computer. Take the CD out whiole it is rebooting.
>> Cross your fingers. There's a pretty good chance you've got it fixed. If
>> not, you haven't hurt it any... :-)
>> I'm sure the people who understand what I'm talking about are probably
>> amused at my efforts, but I tried. I'm better at understanding it than I
>> am at explaining it!
>>
>> --
>>           --- Hurry before this group goes away! ---

9/10/2010 6:38:31 PM
Great!

> I'm thrilled!  Thanks to you guys, I have the computer back up and
> running beautifully.  That trick about tapping the F-8 key did the
> trick.  I was able to start the computer in safe mode, go to System
> Restore, and restore the computer to the time just before I killed it.
>  I wish I could give each of you a big hug!  Thanks again!   .....Pam
> " Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> wrote in message
>>I just talked to the lady who owns the computer, and I'm going to get
>>it from her this afternoon.  I'll work on it then and will post back.
>>I'll try everyone's suggestions until I've exhausted them all.  At
>>that point I'll probably just pay someone to fix it.  Thank you so
>>much for your help.
>> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
>>>" Pam" <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> wrote in

>>> Having read the other replies, no one has yet come up with what I
>>> would probably do, considering the symptoms. Use your own XP CD to
>>> boot up. It has to be in the drive when you turn the computer on.
>>> Hopefully your friend's computer is set up so that booting from the
>>> CD drive is at the top of the boot priority list. If not, that can
>>> be fixed too, but I won't get into that unless it turns out to be
>>> necessary. You will fdirst get a message that says "Press any key to
>>> boot from CD". Make sure to do so before the message goes away. When
>>> the computer finally gets booted up to a blue screen, one of the
>>> options you'll have is "R" for the recovery console. Pick that
>>> option. The screen will go black for a bit and eventually you'll
>>> come to a prompt that will look something like this: (1) C:\WINDOWS
>>> (2) - There probably won't be a second option
>>> Then it'll tell you to choose which system you want to access.
>>> If option 1 is C:\WINDOWS, the type in the number 1 and press enter.
>>> If C:\WINDOWS is NOT #1, then type in whatever number IS and press
>>> enter. At this point you may come to a prompt asking for a password.
>>> If you do, don't enter anything, just push ENTER. You will then come
>>> to a prompt that says "C:\WINDOWS". At this prompt type in "CHKDSK
>>> /P" (without the quotes). This process can take quite a while. It
>>> will hang at 50% and again at 75% but it'll eventually end. You'll
>>> get a summary message will will most likely include "CHKDSK found
>>> one or more errors on this drive. Regardless of what it says, then
>>> type "FIXBOOT" and then "Y" at the next prompt. When that one is
>>> done then type "EXIT" abd push the ENTER key. This will reboot your
>>> computer. Take the CD out whiole it is rebooting. Cross your
>>> fingers. There's a pretty good chance you've got it fixed. If not,
>>> you haven't hurt it any... :-) I'm sure the people who understand
>>> what I'm talking about are probably amused at my efforts, but I
>>> tried. I'm better at understanding it than I am at explaining it!
>>>
>>> --
>>>           --- Hurry before this group goes away! ---

--
 -- Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it! --

0
Retired
9/11/2010 2:01:35 AM
Pam,
You've just experienced something akin to an orgasm, i.e. seeing a computer
that you thought you had hopelessly trashed miraculously come back to life.
Nothing quite like that feeling!

" Pam"  wrote in message news:#UcobdRULHA.456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> [...]
>> that says "C:\WINDOWS". At this prompt type in "CHKDSK /P" (without the
>> quotes). This process can take quite a while. It will hang at 50% and
>> again at 75% but it'll eventually end. You'll get a summary message will
>> will most likely include "CHKDSK found one or more errors on this drive.
>> Regardless of what it says, then type "FIXBOOT" and then "Y" at the next
>> prompt. When that one is done then type "EXIT" abd push the ENTER key.
>> This will reboot your computer. Take the CD out whiole it is rebooting.
>> Cross your fingers. There's a pretty good chance you've got it fixed. If
>> not, you haven't hurt it any... :-)
>> I'm sure the people who understand what I'm talking about are probably
>> amused at my efforts, but I tried. I'm better at understanding it than I
>> am at explaining it!
>>
>> --
>>           --- Hurry before this group goes away! ---

bobster
9/11/2010 5:07:49 AM
I hope this is a lesson learned allways back up youre files before trying to
fix a system .
and most importlantly dont mess with what ya don't know for sure about
changeing deleteing ect.
AL'S COMPUTERS

> [...]
>>> that says "C:\WINDOWS". At this prompt type in "CHKDSK /P" (without the
>>> quotes). This process can take quite a while. It will hang at 50% and
>>> again at 75% but it'll eventually end. You'll get a summary message will
>>> will most likely include "CHKDSK found one or more errors on this drive.
>>> Regardless of what it says, then type "FIXBOOT" and then "Y" at the next
>>> prompt. When that one is done then type "EXIT" abd push the ENTER key.
>>> This will reboot your computer. Take the CD out whiole it is rebooting.
>>> Cross your fingers. There's a pretty good chance you've got it fixed. If
>>> not, you haven't hurt it any... :-)
>>> I'm sure the people who understand what I'm talking about are probably
>>> amused at my efforts, but I tried. I'm better at understanding it than I
>>> am at explaining it!
>>>
>>> --
>>>           --- Hurry before this group goes away! ---

Andy
9/12/2010 11:01:03 AM
In news:eB4rXbHULHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
 Pam <per1818@nospam.planttel.net> typed:
> Please forgive the vagueness of the following description
> of my problem, but I don't know any more than what I'm
> about to write.  Someone gave my friend a used HP Pavilion
> computer.  It was running slowly, so she asked me to help. The computer
> had not been used in two or more years and
> needed an antivirus program, firewall, etc.  After I
> installed the Comodo firewall, I checked the applications
> that were running in the memory.  I was given the choice of
> terminating or of terminating and blocking.  I chose the
> terminating option and eliminated about 10 unnecessary
> applications.  That did speed the computer up, so I shut it
> down , restarted it, and checked to see that those same 10
> items did in fact reappear on that list.  Since terminating
> them had not affected the computer in any way, I decided to
> terminate and block them permanently.  Just as I was
> clicking on one of them, my friend came up from behind, and
> startled me.  I guess my mouse hand slipped and highlighted
> the wrong application, and I accidentally terminated and
> blocked something that had to do with system32.  A box
> popped up saying that the computer was getting ready to
> terminate the application and restart in 60 seconds. (I
> think that was how long)  I tried to stop that termination
> but could not find a way to do it.  Suddenly the computer
> shut off without shutting down WindowsXP.  When it
> restarted, it put up the HP logo screen followed by the
> WindowsXP logo screen (the one with the little bar that
> moves back and forth) that comes up before the computer
> starts.  When that disappeared, the only thing left was a
> black screen with the white mouse pointer.  I could move
> the pointer with the mouse.  That's it.  I held down the
> power button on the CPU to turn it off, but when I started
> it up again, the same thing happened.  The original owner
> of the computer doesn't have the XP installation CD.  Is
> there anything I can do to bring this thing back to life? Any help will be
> appreciated.

As with any used computer, the only sensible thing to do is to perform a
clean install of the operating system and all programs that go with it. That
way you not only know how to do it, but you also get rid of the myriad
problems present on someone else's computer and wll only have your own junk
to trouble-shoot. It's the only sane way to set up a used computer for use.
It's also where you'll discover all the things the seller owed you but
didn't give you for disks and having the proper keycodes to go with
everything so you won't be pirating anything.
   Start from scratch: delete/recreated the partitions, reformat all drive,
reinstall all software. Make a record of each and every keycode for every
program you install; you'll be mighty glad you did later on.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne

How do I get my e-mail accounts to open on home, office computers
I have tried to get my office computer and my home computer where they can access all of my e-mail acct.'s. No luck... called server repeatedly and can not get my office computer to receive messages... majority go to my home. Is there anyway of doing this without paying for an additional service? I'm restricted to one company for service at this time... sschmitz <sschmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have tried to get my office computer and my home computer where > they can access all of my e-mail acct.'s. No luck... called server > repeatedly and c...

Kill Excel silently
Hi, I batch file that queries a database and creates a flat file. I want to start Excel, make graph of the data and save it as an htm file. I then want to get out of Excel. I want to do this automatically twice daily (eg at midnight). I use Scheduled tasks and a macro to start Excel and create the graph But Excel won't quit so I've set the ask Scheduler to stop Excel afte 1 minute. Here's the problem ... I get a message saying that Excel has terminate unexpectedly and would I like to send an Error Report to Microsoft?! I cannot turn this message off no matter what Service I st...

Outlook reminder when computer is locked
Hello, I am trying to find a way to make outlook 2003 "ding" for reminders when a computer is locked. Is this possible? I am using OL in a classroom environment where it is neccessary to have a 10 minute lock but also get reminders for cleanup times. Thanks ...

kill
wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kill you right now wo will kil...

Importing inboxes and addressbooks from networked computers both with Outlook
Hello, I just upgraded my computer and currently have my old one and new one networked together. In all the "import" program options, importing from outlook TO outlook is NOT one of the options. What's the simplist way to get my address book and e-mail storage folders to my new computer? Are there specific files I can move to get my address book to the new computer? (where are they, I've looked!) Is there a way to syncronize the two computers, so if my wife sends an email on the 'old' one it would show up in the 'sent' folder of BOTH computers? Thanks...

using Outlook on different computers
I am using Outlook 2003 at home. It is also on the two computers I use at work. Is there a quick, easy way of synching all three so when I log on and open Outlook, I have the same emails in the same folders, and don't have to worry about an email I did at home that is not available to me at work? I have looked at some of the help online but am not sure if I fully understand what would be the easiest way of synching. TIA. All depends on the mail account type that you are using. In your case an Exchange, IMAP or HTTP account might be useful. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] ...

New Computer Do Not Have MS Money Product Key Email
I've recently purchased new computer and have tranferred the Ms Money Plus 08 version to it. I downloaded Money from microsoft-online and the PRODUCT KEY was emailed to me. I do not have that email any longer. How can I obtian that to use the software that I have already purchased? In microsoft.public.money, GatorGreg44 wrote: >I've recently purchased new computer and have tranferred the Ms Money Plus 08 >version to it. I downloaded Money from microsoft-online and the PRODUCT KEY >was emailed to me. I do not have that email any longer. How can I obtian that >to use ...

Friendly Name second request
All I have a need to change how Exchange sends email using friendly names. I know you can disable friendly names, but, I would like to know if there is a way, via AD or somewhere else, that you can modify what exchange uses as the attributes for friendly names. Right now it uses FirstName LastName, could or is there a way we could use say: Custom Attribute #2 ?? The reason I ask this is because, the internal corporate names for some users are not what they want others to read, like full last names for example, others don’t care I need a way to make this happen. Sending only email addresses ...

Important restore a server a ups killed with large amount of data
Hello, A ups died taking out one of my sbs 2003 servers. now there is a lot data on this machine i am talking roughly 3 tb of data. Here is where is sites, sharepoint and sql are toast. completely a uninstall and reinstall don't fix it if anything it broke more. I have a backup from 3 days ago from sbs backup I also have a image based backup from 2 months ago. what is the best way to get this server up and running without taking the whole day tomorrow. can i just use ntbackup from the sbs backup i have and do a restore on the server and tell it to skip the data partit...

Kill Sound Effects
Whenever I switch Outlook folders or switch messages within a folder I get this annoying sound (P-chew with an accent on the chew). I have tried turning off any references to sound alerts in Outlook options. Also went to Windows Control Panel sounds and turned off Office sounds. But I still get the sound. Where is the control for it hiding? Running Outlook 2000 SP-3 and Win XP Home SP-2. ...

What is the correct way to kill a search in progress in Outlook 2007?
I was doing a simple search in Outlook, it didn't find it in the Inbox, so I told it to "Try searching in all mail items". After five minutes I gave up but couldn't find any way to cancel the search. Not CTRL C, CTRL Break, escape, clicking anywhere on the Outllok window, etc. I ending up killing it in Task manager. What is the correct way to kill a search in progress in Outlook 2007? The x to the right of the search field should do it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Cen...

kill process
Hi, With VBS, how can i kill a process which I own and with a name contains a fixed string like 'blabla' Thanks in advance bob123 wrote: > With VBS, how can i kill a process which I own --- <code> --- ' walk the process list demo, using wmi v1.5, jw 09Jul00 ' (note: this demo adapted from msdn mag, Apr 2000, wmi article by ???) ' 12Jul00: modified to demo Process.Terminate Option Explicit Dim sProcList ' as string Dim oWMI, Process ' as objects Dim oShell ' as object Dim sNotepad ' as string ' launch...

How do I connect my laptop to my computer?
Is there a way to connect my laptop to my desktop? Not just to the screen I have. Would the laptop be viewed as a seperate drive like an external usb drive? Does it matter if it has a different OS? I want to do this to more easily transfer files and update my favourites, etc. Methods for networking two computers http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/a/connecttwocomp.htm -- Google is your friend..... "Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B32B9F81-1E59-49E5-A6F6-1FA2B8DEB5C1@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to c...

Outlook copying contacts to another computer
I need to copy my contacts folder to another computer. I am transfering it from a laptop to a desktop. Help. Hi Ken, You can import/ export your information or you should use a synchronization tool. -- Thomas Wetzel www.synchpst.com Synchronize and backup Outlook ...

create a inventory of files on computer in excel
I want to pull up a list of files by folders and copy the details of this files into a inventory list in excel. Thus I can do a assement on Excel of dulicates and outdated files. couple of options here... http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y49E21ECA Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Shanerrs" <Shanerrs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D36C1E65-194E-4232-AA2D-C26744538EF0@microsoft.com... > I want to pull up a list of files by folders and copy the details of this > files into a inventory list in excel. > Thus I can do a assement on Excel of duplica...

New Computer Window 7
Where is the send and receive option? It's it not available on window live. I really miss that option. "joyce" <joyce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F80EEC6C-F30C-4EA8-B2E4-534CEDF23606@microsoft.com... > Where is the send and receive option? It's it not available on window > live. > I really miss that option. It's called "Synchronize" AFAIK. The easiest option is to press F5. When looking at Mail - F5 will send/receive all mail (synchronize). When in Newsgroups - F5 will sync all newsgroups. Colin Bro...

i want to kill xmlreader and all her children #2
please reply via email to this post to x0td0x@hotmail.com i need some code that will generate code to read the xml file it is reading for example input: <book> <bk:title>the wind</bk:title> <bk:content type="text">howl</bk:content> </book>output: (xtw=xmltextwriter) [code:1:b5cc48202f]xtw.WriteStartElement("book"); xtw.WriteStartElement("bk:title"); xtw.WriteString("the wind"); xtw.WriteEndElement(); xtw.WriteStartElement("bk:content"); xtw.WriteAttributeString("type","text"); xtw.WriteSt...

dual computer use
I haven't yet purchased Money. If I do, I'd really like to run it on my computer and on my wife's, then occasionally merge the date into a household summary to track our overall expenses. Does the software facilitate this? If you were to maintain a single Money data file it would be straightforward to generate the desired reports. Within that file you can keep accounts separate. If each computer had its own data file, you would have to go thru some gyrations to export/import data. >-----Original Message----- >I haven't yet purchased Money. If I do, I'd really...

Where to locate or kill these process?
Reading from internet, to remove Tencent.Addressbar etc, I need to stop these process iehelp.dll/iehelp1.dll/iehelp2.dll // ssaddr.dll/ssaddr1.dll/ssaddr2.dll and tbhmain.dll. My question is where do I find these or stop these as I could not find these files as I couls not find them in Alt/Ctl/Delete >Processes. Apprecuate your prompt response as I know this is not the correct place to loo for answers. Thanks The items you quoted are not running processes, but filenames. They may well be associated with a process or application in memory - such as "Tencent Addressbar&...

How to copy my outlook configurations to a new computer
Can someone point me to a link that describes how I can copy the Outlook views that I have configured to another computer. I am using outlook 2003 and I've copied all the data files. When I start up Outlook, I cannot see any of the customized views in the email screen. thanks The views are stored in the pst - you should see them in the views menu unless you imported instead of just opening the pst. Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visua...

Old computer died, and want to transfer old emails and folder
My old computer died (Windows 2k with Office 2K). I purchased a new computer (Windows XP)and want to find my old emails and folders then transfer them into my new computer's Outlook 2k. I have the hard drive out of my old computer, and can access all of the data, I just don't know what fils to move to the new computer. Can someone reccomend an easy to locate the old emails and folders and transfer them to my new computer. Thanks, Don On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:41:03 -0700, "Don" <divancovich@camtekusa.com> wrote: >My old computer died (Windows 2k with Office...

where do i find autoarchive on my computer
I have Winows XP and have no idea how to find the archive file. I used to have an icon on the desk top but that has disappeared. Any help would be appreciated. Your question does not have anything to do with Word. Autoarchiving is a feature of Outlook. Was archiving of mail items that you were thinking of? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Ganga" <Ganga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Slightly OT
I know this isn't really an Access question, but I will be running this from Access VBA. Does anyone know the method for returning the Computer Name of the local machine? Thank You, Sean Mc Actually, you right on topic, and you asked a good question in the right place: You can get the current network logon name with: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm And, the current computer name with: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0009.htm And, if using ms-access security, then currentuser() will return the ms-access logon. I often log all 3 of the above values in some appli...

Auto update kills all office applications
Microsoft Office just autoupdated, and now I can't open any Microsoft Office Programs (use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint). The icon will jump once (in the dock) and then stop. Tried deleting Microsoft preferences Also tried repairing disk permissions Details about my Mac are as follows: Model Name: MacBook Pro 15" Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB Memory: 1 GB Bus Speed: 667 MHz Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B01 SMC Version:...

WMP will not stop searching my Computer.
WMP 11 WMP will not stop searching my Computer. I only want the music i add to it to be in the library. No matter how many times i set it to default folder monitoring leaving those folders empty or with only the stuff i add to it. The library constantly searches my while computer and adds every pic, vidoe and sound bite. If I do not go into it daily and delete everything from the library it fills up and lags very badly. Is there a way to turn that off so it only does music and nothing else? On Nov 20, 4:32=A0am, Cerilian <Ceril...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: &g...