HOWTO hibernate winXP via a btach file

Hi,

I came to find, in windows XP SP3, that the command,

_-%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe_PowrProf.dll,_SetSuspendState_m2-_
or
_-rundll32.exe_powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState_0,1,0-_

executed at a command prompt, triggers the hibernation process
as hibermation proceeds; I can see the winXP progress bar.

But unfortunately it does not stop their, my machine resumes from
hibernation, within seconds, unless I switch-off the power as soon as
hibernation completes.

The same is the case, when I use the power switch.
Thru the Power Config UI, I have chosen the hibernation option, when I
press the power switch on my desktop, hibernation is triggerred but
still windowsXP, resumes (if not switched off)

Any clues, why winXP behaves this way.
Could I be missing something.

I am using windows XP, SP3

TIA
~ Jeevan (g1)

--
jnsunkersett
0

undisclosed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came to find, in windows XP SP3, that the command,
>
> _-%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe_PowrProf.dll,_SetSuspendState_m2-_
> or
> _-rundll32.exe_powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState_0,1,0-_
>
> executed at a command prompt, triggers the hibernation process
> as hibermation proceeds; I can see the winXP progress bar.
>
> But unfortunately it does not stop their, my machine resumes from
> hibernation, within seconds, unless I switch-off the power as soon as
> hibernation completes.
>
> The same is the case, when I use the power switch.
> Thru the Power Config UI, I have chosen the hibernation option, when I
> press the power switch on my desktop, hibernation is triggerred but
> still windowsXP, resumes (if not switched off)
>
> Any clues, why winXP behaves this way.
> Could I be missing something.
>
> I am using windows XP, SP3
>
> TIA
> ~ Jeevan (g1)

Not a batch file, but Wizmo is a tiny .exe program that can do that as
well a many other functions.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I'm here to question all your answers.

0
Gerald
6/17/2010 12:05:49 AM
On 6/16/2010 7:52 AM, undisclosed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came to find, in windows XP SP3, that the command,
>
> _-%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe_PowrProf.dll,_SetSuspendState_m2-_
> or
> _-rundll32.exe_powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState_0,1,0-_
>
> executed at a command prompt, triggers the hibernation process
> as hibermation proceeds; I can see the winXP progress bar.
>
> But unfortunately it does not stop their, my machine resumes from
> hibernation, within seconds, unless I switch-off the power as soon as
> hibernation completes.
>
> The same is the case, when I use the power switch.
> Thru the Power Config UI, I have chosen the hibernation option, when I
> press the power switch on my desktop, hibernation is triggerred but
> still windowsXP, resumes (if not switched off)
>
> Any clues, why winXP behaves this way. Could I be missing something.
> I am using windows XP, SP3
> TIA ~ Jeevan (g1)

Did you try any of these:

http://jimcofer.com/personal/?p=864
The first line enables hibernation
powercfg /hibernate on
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate

http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php
/t28851.html
http://dx21.com/coding/libraries/rundll32/default.aspx
"RUNDLL32.EXE PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState"

Mike

0
Mike

Sending Pictures Via Outlook
it use to be that when i select pictures, then did file send to as attachment it would ask if i would like to reduce the size or send as orginal size. We were recently upgraded and use Microsoft Windows Professional Version 5.1. Has this option been take away? If not, where is the option? ...

archived files
How do I access the archived files from Outlook if I want to go back and look at the data that was saved (i.e. old e-mails and/or calendar appointments etc.) In OL File/Open/Personal Folders......browse to archive "Yvonne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1a4bc01c41d81$ebb52340$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How do I access the archived files from Outlook if I want > to go back and look at the data that was saved (i.e. old > e-mails and/or calendar appointments etc.) Thanks DL, it worked and I found what I was looking for. Appreciate the help...

Howto create textbox like in powerpoint
Hi Could someone tell me how to create powerpoint type textboxes? Are they windowless rich edit controls? Thanks Sachin They are rich edit control, but they have a window, they are owned by the window that they are being displayed on. AliR. "sachinkundu" <sachinkundu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170062520.486641.43880@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > Could someone tell me how to create powerpoint type textboxes? Are > they windowless rich edit controls? > > Thanks > Sachin > > They are rich edit control, but they have a wind...

create card file from csv file
how can i create card file from a csv What is a "card" file. CSV is a text file. barb60185 wrote: > how can i create card file from a csv > ...

Access front end via ODBC to MySQL
I am trying to migrate membership data from a local Access table to MySQL on the web. I installed ODBC and set up the DSN and was able to export my local data directly to MySQL (*way* cool!). Queries and reports run great, but using a form to access a single record takes forever. When in the form, I click on the member number fiield (which is the key of the record) and then click on "find" to get to the record I want. There are about 4500 records. If I choose one towards the end of the file it takes more than a minute to return that record. What should I be looking...

Publisher Files
I received a Publisher File by email. I try to open it and it says that I can't because it is a different file version. How can I open it so that I can print it. Thank you, Reggie Hi Reggie (rsmith@palmettoofficemachines.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || I received a Publisher File by email. I try to open it || and it says that I can't because it is a different file || version. How can I open it so that I can print it. 1. You need to have Microsoft Publisher in order to open the file. 2. You need to have the same version of Publisher as the person who is send...

Browsing for file now asks for program
Hi, I hope this is the right ng for this question. I am a novice user of Windows XP (and happy to remain novice!) I learn how to do simple things but sometimes the simple things change. Just now I wanted to look for my most recent additions to a certain folder. I do this in a very simple way: Click on My Computer Click down to the appropriate folder Select appropriate View But today this didn't work! Clicking on My Computer, I get a window with a list of programs: which program would I like to use to open My Computer? !!! .... And I can't do the simple thing...

Smtp Authentication
Hi all I'm an IBM Domino administrator.But i have to fix an exchange 2003 server in these days.The problem is; the exchange server was full of spam yesterday because of open relay, i deleted all the spam.Now i want to make an smtp authentication setting on the exchange server. the schema is as that: 1 MS 2003 server (domain controller) with exchange 2003 installed (all fixpacks are included) (192.168.0.1).15 clients (winXP+Outlook 2000/XP/2003 mixed). network adress is 192.168.0.0/24 all the computers access to internet by a dsl router (192.168.0.254), using 192.168.0.1 as DNS server...

"File in use" is incorrect
I have an excel file that user1 will open. Whenever he opens the file and another person tries to open the same file, the "File in use" message pops up with the read only option. The problem is that the notification says that User2 has the file open even though User1 is the actual user. User2 is not listed as the owner of the file, is not the creator of the file, nor does he have any specific permissions to access the file other than being in Group1. Would anyone know why the file notification would be incorrect regarding the user who really has the file open? Hi maybe the...

Error creating .ps file with Publisher 2003
I am trying to create an Adobe PDF file with the PDFx-1a:2001 standard in order to send a book to a commercial printer. I usually do this by doing a Save As to a .ps file and then using Adobe Acrobat Distiller to create the PDF file. I am consistently getting an error when I try to do the save which says Publisher can not save the file. When I look in my document folder there will be a small sized .ps file (ex. 427 KB). If I run distiller on that .ps file I get one page of my document with no way to control which page I get. The file size of the book is huge (99,669KB) and contain...

DLL Howto
Hello everyone, I would like to fill in people who have not made MFC dlls my experiences making them, and how to make DLL creation extremely simple. First you want to create a MFC extension dll, which is important because this specific type of DLL will allow you to export functions and classes without any confusing code. After that, implement any classes to the dll and when the class is being declared include the AFX_EXT_CLASS macro. For instance class CModifyTransaction : public CDialog would become... class AFX_EXT_CLASS CModifyTransaction : public CDialog after that is added any dll ...

Opening Files...
Hi, I'm getting the "Publisher cannot open file from a different version" message when using Publisher 2000. I thought all the files were originally created in Pub 2000 but I guess I was wrong. I've tried installing a copy of Publisher 97 but the same message appears. Is there anyway I can tell from the .pub file what version it was created in?? I also seen this problem reported with Norton Anti Virus, though I have Norton Anti Virus Corporate edition 7.6, which doesn't seem to be affected with this issue. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Rick Your virus pr...

Remove music files from disk, but want to remain in library & devi
Running WMP11 on an XP box with small hard drive. Got a Sony Walkman - been ripping in lossless format and downloading same to device. I want to remove the rather big set of WMA files (from my box) after loading to Walkman to conserve disk space. But, I want to keep albums visible in WMP library and not have songs removed from the Walkman. Don't want to invest in bigger, or external, hard drive as I'm getting a new PC soon. How do I "fool", or configure, WMP so it doesn't remove corresponding files from my walkman after I delete same on hard drive (whic...

message
I cannot now open an EXCEL file I created some while ago. Instead I get a message saying file format is invalid. File name is less than 219 characters. I can see what is in the file using Quick View. How can I restore access to file using EXCEL? Maybe try Inserting it into a blank Excel sheet.........or try opening it in Excel XP, or even MS Word........ Does it for sure have an .xls extention......maybe someone opened it in another program and saved it as some thing else...... hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "robert potts" <annebob@sr82nf.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in me...

Users cannot log in via Citrix to GP9
We deployed a new Citrix environment with 20 presentation servers which users in our UK and India office use to access GP9. They have reported that they cannot log into GP and getting the following message: Login failed. Contact your system administrator. I have checked the ODBC connection on the Citrix servers and it is correct. I can log in as 'sa' with no problems. Users using the app from their local machines are not having any problems. We did not change anything with GP. It is only affecting users who access GP via Citrix. I have created user accounts fr...

HOWTO Force landscape printing with CPrintDialog.
HOWTO Force landscape printing with CPrintDialog. Please help, I have the following code I want to FORCE to print in landscape after the CPrintDialog finishes. This solution must not touch the CWinApp's "m_hDevMode" data member. This solution must only do something to the DC returned from the CPrintDialog, and it must override any possible orientation settings the user may have change while they were inside CPrintDialog. : CPrintDialog CPrintDialog_Temp(FALSE); if (CPrintDialog_Temp.DoModal() == IDOK) { // Do something here to FORCE the print out to be landscape ...

Plugin to open PC Word 2007 file in Mac 2004?
One of my clients just upgraded to Office 2007 and the floodgates of incompatibility opened for them everywhere. I know MS has a plugin for PC users in earlier Office to open these new native docs, but how about Mac 2004? In the meantime, all office workers were instructed on how to save docs back in earlier version. Not a big hit around there... -- To reply by email, remove the word "space" Kurt, If you stop whingeing (we don't work for Microsoft in here), I'll tell you... :-) At www.microsoft.com/mac/ under "Quick downloads", you'll see the second ...

Access 2000 collaboration via email controls
I am wondering if Access has a similar ability to MS Project: Whereby tasks(Project) or rows(Access) can be e-mailed from within Access, the recipient can update fields from their in-box(no need for a copy of Acess here,) return the email, and have the database automatically updated upon opening the note. Is the abilty built-in, or must it be coded? Regards, Barry I have never heard of such an ability. So you would have to code something. -- Joe Fallon Access MVP "Barry" <handy_guy00@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c3cb54cd.0401151639.41f45644@posting.google.com... &g...

Links Causing File Size Jump
It seems that when I paste links the file size jumps a lot. The sheets are laid out like this - all the sheets have "lookup" formulas which reference a master sheet. There are no macros or anything unusual. I wanted to create an easy print sheet which references all of the other sheets (except the master sheet). So I created a sheet, copied the format of the others and pasted a link to them. The file size jumps immediately. All I need is a print sheet, which makes it easy to print 25 other sheets at once. Any ideas? Using CTRL + Click or SHIFT + Click, select...

Cannot get shortcut keys working on batch files
On this XP Pro (SP2) PC I cannot get any shortcut keys to work on the shortcuts made from any batch file. For example, Test-01.bat contains this @echo off pause I assigned it the shortcut <Ctl+Alt+3> (or any keys) as shown here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/BatchProblem.jpg But it doesn't run when I use the keys. It runs fine if I d-click either the original batch file or its shortcut. No difference after a reboot. I installed a little program called Shortcut Key Explorer v1 01 by RJL Software from http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/shortcutkeys/...

How do I keep file sizes small when using multiple pivot tables?
I have a large spreadsheet of data (around 16mb) and I need to do lots of pivot tables from that data. I have moved the pivot tables to a seperate workbook but the file size is nearly 100MB and this makes it pretty unusable. Is there any way to compress data in the pivot tables so you can still see the data but keep the files small? Cheers for any help Hi Jester, What I recommend is that you set up one table, and base the rest of the tables on that one table - this minimises the number of tables caching data. Alternatively, you could send the data out, and automate the creation of the...

Can't send Email from Outlook 2002 sp3 and Winxp pro sp2
Lately I can't send email from Outlook using my broadband connection email setup, I get the following message Sending error report error (0x800CC67), The server responded 421 out009.verizon.net Lost connection to (IP address) I called verizon and they stated this was a problem with Outlook, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this, I tried deleting and reinstalling the email settings, as well as the deleting and reinstalling Outlook ...

Is there a quick way to count how many emails are in my .PST file(s)
Hi Is there a quick way to count how many emails are in my .PST file? (Why? Because I want to know whether GoogleDesktop has managed to spider my archive file properly...) Ship Shiperton Henethe IN OUTLOOK? - Click on the highest level folder Left-click and select properties There should be a button there called "Folder Size" Click it..... "ship" <shiphen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161969600.785376.108820@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Hi > > Is there a quick way to count how many emails are in my .PST file? > > (Why? Because ...

HOWTO: Protecting a Document???
Hi... I'm still using Office XP (Word 2002). I'm just about finished making a FORM document which I plan to turn into a template (.DOT). I've turned on the "Forms Protect"... which moves the user around the "protected text" but I also want to disable anyone from changing the original .DOT itself (this will be a standard form and don't need some smart-ass altering something that I'm, ultimately, responsible for). I'm still GOOGLE'g but... how can I allow a user to OPEN this file to enter data/check boxes into the FORM FIELDS......

merge files in Excel?
I want to merge two different (Excel 2000) files that share a common identifier for each entry (row) and can be sorted by this identifier. In the next step, I will use the =EXACT(cell,cell) formula to identify any changes (FALSE) that occur. My "merge workbooks" (under Tools) is greyed out. How do I merge them by this identifier? Hugh From help on "merge workbooks" Make sure the copies of the shared workbook that you want to merge are all stored in the same folder. To do this, you must give each copy a different name. Open the copy into which you want to merge c...