How to use a shared printer (win xp 32bit) on windows 7 (64 bit) without 64bit driver?

Hi,

I've connected my Epson EPL-5900L to my desktop-pc (Windows XP 32bit) and
share it in the network.
Now I want to use this shared printer on a Windows 7 (64bit) notebook but
unfortunately there are no 64bit drivers for this printer (not for windows 7
and not for vista).

Is there a way I can use this printer on the notebook?
--> Maybe a "proxy-printer" on the XP-machine where exists 64bit driver f�r
windows 7.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Markus

0
Markus

Post here:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/threads

Or here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/threads
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Markus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've connected my Epson EPL-5900L to my desktop-pc (Windows XP 32bit) and
> share it in the network.
> Now I want to use this shared printer on a Windows 7 (64bit) notebook but
> unfortunately there are no 64bit drivers for this printer (not for windows
> 7
> and not for vista).
>
> Is there a way I can use this printer on the notebook?
> --> Maybe a "proxy-printer" on the XP-machine where exists 64bit driver
> f�r
> windows 7.
>
> Hopefully someone can help me.
>
> Markus

0
PA
8/14/2010 6:42:15 PM
On 8/14/2010 1:44 PM, Markus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've connected my Epson EPL-5900L to my desktop-pc (Windows XP 32bit) and
> share it in the network.
> Now I want to use this shared printer on a Windows 7 (64bit) notebook but
> unfortunately there are no 64bit drivers for this printer (not for windows 7
> and not for vista).
>
> Is there a way I can use this printer on the notebook?
> -->  Maybe a "proxy-printer" on the XP-machine where exists 64bit driver f�r
> windows 7.
>
> Hopefully someone can help me.
>
> Markus

A quick search did not locate any win 7 64 drivers.
I also tried to find the specs, but Epson only listed a 5700i
Perhaps the printer can use either a generic postscript or ESC P/2
driver? The 5700i specs did not mention what the programming and
emulation capabilities are for this printer.
0
Chuck
8/14/2010 7:00:29 PM
I'm not sure if I can use a generic postscript driver.
How can I test it?

Markus

"Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On 8/14/2010 1:44 PM, Markus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've connected my Epson EPL-5900L to my desktop-pc (Windows XP 32bit) and
>> share it in the network.
>> Now I want to use this shared printer on a Windows 7 (64bit) notebook but
>> unfortunately there are no 64bit drivers for this printer (not for
>> windows 7
>> and not for vista).
>>
>> Is there a way I can use this printer on the notebook?
>> -->  Maybe a "proxy-printer" on the XP-machine where exists 64bit driver
>> f�r
>> windows 7.
>>
>> Hopefully someone can help me.
>>
>> Markus
>>

> A quick search did not locate any win 7 64 drivers.
> I also tried to find the specs, but Epson only listed a 5700i
> Perhaps the printer can use either a generic postscript or ESC P/2 driver?
> The 5700i specs did not mention what the programming and emulation
> capabilities are for this printer.

0
Markus
8/14/2010 7:56:07 PM
On 8/14/2010 3:56 PM, Markus wrote:
> I'm not sure if I can use a generic postscript driver.
> How can I test it?
>
> Markus
>
> "Chuck"<cdkuder@msn.com>  schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> On 8/14/2010 1:44 PM, Markus wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've connected my Epson EPL-5900L to my desktop-pc (Windows XP 32bit) and
>>> share it in the network.
>>> Now I want to use this shared printer on a Windows 7 (64bit) notebook but
>>> unfortunately there are no 64bit drivers for this printer (not for
>>> windows 7
>>> and not for vista).
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can use this printer on the notebook?
>>> -->   Maybe a "proxy-printer" on the XP-machine where exists 64bit driver
>>> f�r
>>> windows 7.
>>>
>>> Hopefully someone can help me.
>>>
>>> Markus
>>>

>> A quick search did not locate any win 7 64 drivers.
>> I also tried to find the specs, but Epson only listed a 5700i
>> Perhaps the printer can use either a generic postscript or ESC P/2 driver?
>> The 5700i specs did not mention what the programming and emulation
>> capabilities are for this printer.

Windows Update (From install a printer) Has additional Epson and
postscript drivers available. It may take enough time to update the
driver list that you think it has frozen.
 From this point, it's a matter of picking a likely candidate and see
what happens.
I did not notice any that exactly matched your printer, but there were
various Epson drivers that are sort of generic, and Microsoft drivers
that might work to some extent.
A problem area was the lack of info concerning your printer in the
specs. on the Epson web site.  The Esc P level was not defined, and so
forth. Many of the "early" laser printers were a combination of ASCII
printers, postscript printers, and a Mfrs generic (Esc P), as well as
with some features somewhat unique to a particular printer model.

Epson used to have a printer programming document for each model or
series that was available on request. I haven't had to ask for one in
years, so I don't know what Epson does currently, let alone with a model
as old as the 5700.

0
Chuck
8/14/2010 9:17:42 PM
It seems that the 5900L has no PCL support.
But I've solved the problem with this tutorial:
http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/macosx/winmacprinter/
I just created the postscript-print (in my case a HP LaserJet 4000 Series
PS) and shared this printer.
--> Maybe you someone need to download the HP Universal Print Driver:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=14952&lang=de&cc=de&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25474

Now I use this printer on Win7 and the output of this printer is redirected
to gsprint which prints the output on my Epson EPL-5900L.

It's not nice but works. :-)

> On 8/14/2010 3:56 PM, Markus wrote:
>> I'm not sure if I can use a generic postscript driver.
>> How can I test it?
>>
>> Markus
>>
>> "Chuck"<cdkuder@msn.com>  schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> A quick search did not locate any win 7 64 drivers.
>>> I also tried to find the specs, but Epson only listed a 5700i
>>> Perhaps the printer can use either a generic postscript or ESC P/2
>>> driver?
>>> The 5700i specs did not mention what the programming and emulation
>>> capabilities are for this printer.
>>

> Windows Update (From install a printer) Has additional Epson and
> postscript drivers available. It may take enough time to update the driver
> list that you think it has frozen.
> From this point, it's a matter of picking a likely candidate and see what
> happens.
> I did not notice any that exactly matched your printer, but there were
> various Epson drivers that are sort of generic, and Microsoft drivers that
> might work to some extent.
> A problem area was the lack of info concerning your printer in the specs.
> on the Epson web site.  The Esc P level was not defined, and so forth.
> Many of the "early" laser printers were a combination of ASCII printers,
> postscript printers, and a Mfrs generic (Esc P), as well as with some
> features somewhat unique to a particular printer model.
>
> Epson used to have a printer programming document for each model or series
> that was available on request. I haven't had to ask for one in years, so I
> don't know what Epson does currently, let alone with a model as old as the
> 5700.

0
Markus
8/14/2010 9:40:58 PM
On 8/14/2010 5:17 PM, Chuck wrote:
> On 8/14/2010 3:56 PM, Markus wrote:
>> I'm not sure if I can use a generic postscript driver.
>> How can I test it?
>>
>> Markus
>>
>> "Chuck"<cdkuder@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> A quick search did not locate any win 7 64 drivers.
>>> I also tried to find the specs, but Epson only listed a 5700i
>>> Perhaps the printer can use either a generic postscript or ESC P/2
>>> driver?
>>> The 5700i specs did not mention what the programming and emulation
>>> capabilities are for this printer.
>>

> Windows Update (From install a printer) Has additional Epson and
> postscript drivers available. It may take enough time to update the
> driver list that you think it has frozen.
>  From this point, it's a matter of picking a likely candidate and see
> what happens.
> I did not notice any that exactly matched your printer, but there were
> various Epson drivers that are sort of generic, and Microsoft drivers
> that might work to some extent.
> A problem area was the lack of info concerning your printer in the
> specs. on the Epson web site. The Esc P level was not defined, and so
> forth. Many of the "early" laser printers were a combination of ASCII
> printers, postscript printers, and a Mfrs generic (Esc P), as well as
> with some features somewhat unique to a particular printer model.
>
> Epson used to have a printer programming document for each model or
> series that was available on request. I haven't had to ask for one in
> years, so I don't know what Epson does currently, let alone with a model
> as old as the 5700.

"I'm not sure if I can use a generic postscript driver. How can I test it?"

Basically, you install the driver, and point it to the printer. Your
printer is a parallel port printer, according to the Epson data.
It may also have a network interface, but that was not mentioned.

0
Chuck

Option to select printer B4 printing Payables Checks
Client recently upgraded from 7.5 to 9.0 and they lost the option to select a printer after clicking print. From print payables checks In 7.5 when they would click on print, a window would pop up and give them the option to select a printer to send their checks to. Now it automatically goes to their defaulted printer. How do they set up the option in 9.0? Go to the Named Printers settings, and look at the checkbox to suppress the printer dialog box. This should solve your problem Best regards Mike "TROOTBMI" <TROOTBMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Outlook XP VB Security Issue
Hi There I have a problem between a database program and Outlook. We are using Windows XP, Office XP, everything is service packed. Specifically, when we use the email function from the database program, it prompts as follows: "A program is trying to automatically send email on your behalf. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus ......" Yes, No, Help." The problem here is that when performing an email to potentially several hunderd or even a couple of thousand people, waiting 5 seconds each time to be able to press Y is a major drama. If ...

Why can't I re-import a registry file created by RegSaveKey(...) under Win 9x?
Hello: I was trying to save a registry key to a file say, "mykey" with help of RegSaveKey(...) [not RegSaveKeyEx(...)]. The file can be re-imported with "Regedit" under WinXP if it is produced under Win XP. But for the same program running under Win 98/95, the files created under these OSs cannot be re-imported. These files cannot be re-imported under WinXP. Can anyone tell me why? The exerpted code is listed below: .... char szSubKey[_MAX_FNAME]; char FileName[_MAX_FNAME]; long rc = 0; HKEY hKey; sprintf(szSubKey, "Software\Mykey"); sprintf(FileName,...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Windows in taskbar #2
The windows in taskbar box keeps getting "unchecked" while working in different execel spreadsheets. I re-check it and save/close the box, but it continues to happen. Any ideas to correct this? Richard From a posting by Debra Dalgleish............. There's some information in the following MSKB article: OFF2000: Only One Icon Visible in Taskbar When "Windows in Taskbar" Option Is Selected http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=215816 and the following advice from Dave Peterson '========================== From: Dave Peterson (ec35720@msn.com) Su...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Can't restore Outlook 2003 from the notification area (Windows XP Pro)
If I minimise Outlook to the systray, and then attempt to restore it at a later time I receive the following message in an XP balloon. "Outlook is not responding. If you are using an Exchange server email account you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the notifications area and then clicking Cancel Server Request on the shortcut menu. " I am not using Exchange, therefore I don't have the option to cancel server requests - this is a standalone system - it's not even networked! How do I resolve this? I have to restart the system to get it ru...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

Issues of sharing workbooks
Hi all, When I make the workbook shareable, I found that I cannot use certain features like "Advanced Filter". Why is that, and any workaround?? Use Help and search with word "share" The item "Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks" is informative Tells "what" cannot be done with shared ws; as to "why" you would need to ask Bill Gates. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Frederick Chow" <PleaseRemoveThishkmusc@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O3aspviEGHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP10...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...