how to set a assembly's properties without the use of a GUI

I want to set the Description of my .exe file (it is a .NET
assembly).
You know that description that is seen in Windows Task Manager process
tab. Almost every running process has got one. They can be a whole
sentence explaining what the process is about.

I need a way of setting this description of my .exe without any GUI. I
need it to be set from a command line tool or something alike.

Is there a tool like that? Maybe something built into Windows?
0
Marcus

On May 21, 3:31=A0am, Marcus <marcussilf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to set the Description of my .exe file (it is a .NET
> assembly).
> You know that description that is seen in Windows Task Manager process
> tab. Almost every running process has got one. They can be a whole
> sentence explaining what the process is about.
>
> I need a way of setting this description of my .exe without any GUI. I
> need it to be set from a command line tool or something alike.
>
> Is there a tool like that? Maybe something built into Windows?

That information is stored in the executable.

For example in assembly language, a resource file like this is used.
Your programming language should have something similar.

#define APP_VERSION_INFO    1     // {{ define at the top your .RC
file }}

// example version resource
APP_VERSION_INFO VERSIONINFO
    FILEVERSION 1,1,0,0
    PRODUCTVERSION 1,1,0,0
    FILEFLAGSMASK 0x17L
    FILEFLAGS 0x0L
    FILEOS 0x4L
    FILETYPE 0x1L
    FILESUBTYPE 0x0L
{
    BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
    {
        BLOCK "040904b0"
        {
            VALUE "CompanyName", "Siege_Works"
            VALUE "FileDescription", "Delete Windows XP Temporary
Directories"
            VALUE "FileVersion", "1.0"
            VALUE "InternalName", "Del_Tmp_Dirs"
            VALUE "LegalCopyright", "=A9 Quality Home Repairs"
            VALUE "OriginalFilename", "Del_Tmp_Dirs.exe.exe"
        }
    }
    BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
    {
        VALUE "Translation", 0x409, 1200
    }
}
0
Mint
5/21/2010 3:35:25 PM
On 21 Maj, 17:35, Mint <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 3:31=A0am, Marcus <marcussilf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to set the Description of my .exe file (it is a .NET
> > assembly).
> > You know that description that is seen in Windows Task Manager process
> > tab. Almost every running process has got one. They can be a whole
> > sentence explaining what the process is about.
>
> > I need a way of setting this description of my .exe without any GUI. I
> > need it to be set from a command line tool or something alike.
>
> > Is there a tool like that? Maybe something built into Windows?
>
> That information is stored in the executable.
>
> For example in assembly language, a resource file like this is used.
> Your programming language should have something similar.
>
> #define APP_VERSION_INFO =A0 =A01 =A0 =A0 // {{ define at the top your .R=
> file }}
>
> // example version resource
> APP_VERSION_INFO VERSIONINFO
> =A0 =A0 FILEVERSION 1,1,0,0
> =A0 =A0 PRODUCTVERSION 1,1,0,0
> =A0 =A0 FILEFLAGSMASK 0x17L
> =A0 =A0 FILEFLAGS 0x0L
> =A0 =A0 FILEOS 0x4L
> =A0 =A0 FILETYPE 0x1L
> =A0 =A0 FILESUBTYPE 0x0L
> {
> =A0 =A0 BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
> =A0 =A0 {
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 BLOCK "040904b0"
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 {
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 VALUE "CompanyName", "Siege_Works"
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 VALUE "FileDescription", "Delete Windows XP Tempo=
rary
> Directories"
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 VALUE "FileVersion", "1.0"
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 VALUE "InternalName", "Del_Tmp_Dirs"
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 VALUE "LegalCopyright", "=A9 Quality Home Repairs=
"
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 VALUE "OriginalFilename", "Del_Tmp_Dirs.exe.exe"
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 }
> =A0 =A0 }
> =A0 =A0 BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
> =A0 =A0 {
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 VALUE "Translation", 0x409, 1200
> =A0 =A0 }
>

> }- D=F6lj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

Yes, there is such a file it is called AssemblyInfo.cs.
I can set the description in this file before I build the exe file.
I need however some way of inject this info into the exe file without
the need to rebuild the exe

0
Marcus

setting up new outlook mail account

OWA Set Rule problem

Revisit "Close without Saving Changes", please?
I know this has ben dealt with several times on the NG, and I've spent all morning sifting through what I can find (thanks, Ron de Bruin, for your excellent Google search tool!), but I'm either not asking the right questions or not understanding what I'm seeing. I have a workbook on a company-wide server. I'd like to let the users open it, view it, sort, filter, and mangle it at their pleasure, *BUT* close without saving any changes that have been made. I guess that means the SAVE and SAVE AS commands also have to be disabled. If anyone can help me with this, or point me to...

How to set backcolour

Unable to attach emails to business contacts without causing Outlook 2003 to crash!
I have just upgraded Office XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro. I am using the existing Outlook data file as my default mail file. The file appears to work as expected. I then installed Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2003. I imported contact details from a couple of contact folders. I believe inn order to link an email with a contact I should be able to Click on "Link to History" from the toolbar. Choose Business Contacts Choose a contact Then click Next - then Outlook crashes and keeps crashing at this point I tried detect and repair which lost me access to the BCM notes I had ...

using User properties in Inbox Rules
Enviroment: Exchange 2000 SP3 Outlook 2002 SP1 I like to setup a inbox rule based on the User property "department". The problem is, the user properties from the mails in the Inbox are always empty (in my active directory the user property "department" is filled with the correct departmentname. I think in Exchange 5.5 this functionality had worked. Any ideas to solve the requirement? ...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

Reading Pane Settings

How do I use Excel or Access or a combination of both to track an.
I would like to come up with a posting journal using either Excel or Access or a combination of both to track the dues of a non-profit organization. In using this I want to keep track of outstanding balance. I want to be able to use Word to prepare an invoice that I can either mail to the address or e-mail. I would like for the balance adjusted as each payment is made. Once all dues are paid then show it as paid in full. Thanks, Are you familiar with VBA - the office macro language? You can use this to automate word, excel, outlook, access, etc to talk to one another. Your question...

interactive buttons, multiple sets

How do I set OOR

Is it possible to create a crm user without a domain login name?
Is it possible to create a crm user without a domain login name? Isn't domain logon name a required field? I heard somewhere that this was possible? We need to change some account's owners to future domain users. Domainlogname is required field in CRM Like --- (Microsoft\ba) and it means you need to create a user in CRM .Account always has an owner , which is CRM user. would like to hear if someone has some tricks to bypass the domainlogname :=) ------ Aamir Blog = http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ IT is required when you create the user, but once you have created the user, ...

Set Focus

Jet Engine MaxScanRows without an ini file or registry
I'm doing this: oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _ "Data Source=C:\;" & _ "Extended Properties=""text;HDR=No;FMT=CSVDelimited""" I want to set the "MaxScanRows=0" setting, but the only ways I can find to do this are to edit the registry or create a .ini file, and I don't want to do this - I want it all contained within the VBA. I suppose I could set the registry in the VBA and then set it back again, but if it crashes then that would leave a modified registr...

MS Windows Explorer programming using VC++ ???
Hi I am writing a simple application to set up custom button control in MS windows explorer... Its like I shall be clicking on the button control and it shall be activating my custom program on the files/directories currently under selection... Having searched through a lot of MSDN stuff,, i could not find a way good enought to support me in my programming... Kindly suggest what needs to be done.... I am building this application in Microsoft Visual C++ using MFC... Also my platform is X86 with Windows 2000 Thanks in advance.. Regards, a.a.cpp I suggest reading the The Comple...

Publisher 2003 Need to set business card to Avery 5371 setting
I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will print on Avery 5371 business cards Okay.........and your question is? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jonathan" <Jonathan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:187615DD-9EF1-42A2-8436-78E6E6C6ACE4@microsoft.com... >I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will > print on Avery 5371 business cards Page setup, business cards, click change copies per sheet, type > .5 top, .75 side, zero gaps. Avery 5371 is a standard business card s...

Setting the Settings
Really quickly: How (exactly) does one get Publisher to remember the page settings I want. ie. every time I open a new document, I get centimeters, and usually, I'd prefer inches. I have not been able to find a "Save Settings" option anywhere. Can anyone help? thomas In Publisher 2000 it's Tools Options General tab Measurements unit box - select inches. OK That should do it. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in America! "ThomasL" <tlammert@netcom.ca> wrote in message ne...

Print Preview using CPreviewDC
Hi there, I have a problem trying to implement a print preview function. Yet the printing itself is no problem. I have this chart control with a method m_graph.PrintGraph(CDC *pDC) which outputs the data to the CDC object. Now I want to do Print Preview similarly using the CPreviewDC class mentioned in the MSDN Documentation instead of the CDC class. How do I setup the CPreviewDC object without a print dialog? And after I have printed the content into the CDC class how do I display the print preview? ...

Delete records using listbox
Hi, Does anyone know a way of deleting selected records in a multi-selection list box? Thanks On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:19:00 -0800, s4 <s4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: There is no built-in way to do this, so you would have to write the code yourself. Iterate over the SelectedItems collection, and call a Delete query for each record. Alternatively you can replace the listbox by a subform, which supports automatic deletion. -Tom. >Hi, >Does anyone know a way of deleting selected records in a multi-selection >list box? >Thanks Assuming that the bound column of your l...