How to replace two system files?

I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7 machine.
The files are:-
c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
....and now I can't boot the XP machine.
How to get back to before I replaced the files?
Thanks.

0
John

"John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7
machine.
> The files are:-
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
> How to get back to before I replaced the files?

System Restore is usually the simplest day to
reboot WinXP in a known good configuration.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
3/31/2010 11:24:02 AM

"John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7
> machine. The files are:-
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
> Thanks.

Boot the machine with a Bart PE boot CD (or equivalent), then replace the
files from your WinXP installation CD. Alternatively you could connect the
disk as a slave disk to some other WinXP PC, then replace the files.

0
Pegasus
3/31/2010 12:05:26 PM

"Don Phillipson" <e925@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote in message
> "John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7
> machine.
>> The files are:-
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
>> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
>> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
>
> System Restore is usually the simplest day to
> reboot WinXP in a known good configuration.
======================
How can I do system restore?...I don't have a system restore CD. I have the
original XP CD if any good - but would like to not have to zap everything by
reinstalling Windows.
Thanks.

0
John
3/31/2010 12:51:29 PM

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7
>> machine. The files are:-
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
>> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
>> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
>> Thanks.
>
> Boot the machine with a Bart PE boot CD (or equivalent), then replace the
> files from your WinXP installation CD. Alternatively you could connect the
> disk as a slave disk to some other WinXP PC, then replace the files.
============================
What is a Bart PE boot CD?...From where could I obtain same...How much would
it cost?

0
John
3/31/2010 12:53:51 PM
On 3/31/2010 3:14 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:
> "John Smith"<JohnSmith@nospam.com>  wrote in message
>
>> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7
> machine.
>> The files are:-
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
>> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
>> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
>
> System Restore is usually the simplest day to
> reboot WinXP in a known good configuration.

There is no garantee this would work and it might have undesirable
consequences, depending on my the OP did on his machine before the
problem became evident.

Both files are located in c:\I386 with a sy_ extension. Expand each file
by using the expand.exe command located in c:\i386.

--
John Doue
0
On 3/31/2010 3:51 PM, John Smith wrote:

> "Don Phillipson" <e925@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote in message
>> "John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced a couple files from a W7
>> machine.
>>> The files are:-
>>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
>>> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
>>> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
>>
>> System Restore is usually the simplest day to
>> reboot WinXP in a known good configuration.
> ======================
> How can I do system restore?...I don't have a system restore CD. I have
> the original XP CD if any good - but would like to not have to zap
> everything by reinstalling Windows.
> Thanks.
boot up the XP CD. It is years since I last did it but you will be
offered very options. Consider them carefully. Restoring the missing
files the way I suggest is certainly the least potentially risky option.

--
John Doue
0
On Mar 31, 6:12=A0am, "John Smith" <JohnSm...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced =A0a couple files from a W7 mach=
ine.
> The files are:-
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
> Thanks.

Why would you put Windows 7 files on an XP system?

If all you did was overwrite two files, there are copies of the
original XP files in other places on your XP system that you can copy
back to where the original ones belong.  It is a simple matter to
replace the improper files with XP files.

You do not need to do a system restore, you do not need to make a Bart
PE CD, you do not have to move the drive to another system, etc.  You
can't make a Bart PE CD without an original XP installation CD anyway
- it is a requirement to even start, and then, what would you do next
even if you had a Bart PE CD?  If you were able to move the drive to
another system as a slave drive, what would you do next?

You can replace the two files easily from the XP Recovery Console.
You can boot RC using your original XP installation CD, or you can
make a new bootable Recovery Console CD (which may come in handy some
other day).  Many folks do not have original bootable XP installation
media, but that is no issue if all you need to do is replace two
files.  Just make a bootable RC disk, replace the files and be on your
way.

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available:

When you afflicted system booted into the recovery console, let us
know and we will give you instructions on how to replace your two
files.

0
Jose
3/31/2010 1:40:58 PM
Jose wrote:
> On Mar 31, 6:12 am, "John Smith" <JohnSm...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7 machine.
>> The files are:-
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
>> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
>> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
>> Thanks.
>
> Why would you put Windows 7 files on an XP system?
>
> If all you did was overwrite two files, there are copies of the
> original XP files in other places on your XP system that you can copy
> back to where the original ones belong.  It is a simple matter to
> replace the improper files with XP files.
>
> You do not need to do a system restore, you do not need to make a Bart
> PE CD, you do not have to move the drive to another system, etc.  You
> can't make a Bart PE CD without an original XP installation CD anyway
> - it is a requirement to even start, and then, what would you do next
> even if you had a Bart PE CD?  If you were able to move the drive to
> another system as a slave drive, what would you do next?

Sheesh!  He would do what you expect him to do in the Recovery Console
but he would do it in a GUI environment rather than at a command line
and he would have way more options available to him than the handful of
commands available in the Recovery Console!

John
0
John
3/31/2010 1:56:42 PM
John Smith wrote:

> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7
>>> machine. The files are:-
>>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
>>> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
>>> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Boot the machine with a Bart PE boot CD (or equivalent), then replace
>> the files from your WinXP installation CD. Alternatively you could
>> connect the disk as a slave disk to some other WinXP PC, then replace
>> the files.
> ============================
> What is a Bart PE boot CD?...From where could I obtain same...How much
> would it cost?

Read about it here:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

Making a PE Disk can be a bit of a daunting task for a novice, if you
want you can download a "pre-made" PE disk here:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/
Welcome to the UBCD4Win.com

Even though you can download a pre-made disk you still have to build the
CD and you still need a Windows XP CD to build it.  Read the FAQ.

John
0
John
3/31/2010 2:04:24 PM
On Mar 31, 9:56=A0am, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

> Sheesh! =A0He would do what you expect him to do in the Recovery Console
> but he would do it in a GUI environment rather than at a command line
> and he would have way more options available to him than the handful of
> commands available in the Recovery Console!
>
> John

If the OP doesn't know how to replace two system files what do you
think the chances are of coming up with an original XP installation CD
that matches his installation, downloading, building and creating a
Bart PE (or equivalent) CD on a functioning system, testing it,
successfully booting the afflicted system using it, navigating some
probably never seen before GUI and successfully locating and copying
two files - and how long will that take.

Will someone volunteer to walk the OP through using a Bart PE CD to
replace those two files?

Or what do you think the chances are of removing the afflicted HDD,
configuring it as a slave drive, moving it to another computer and
replacing the files and putting it all back together again?  How long
will that take?  What if it is a laptop and the drive is not easily
moved?

I also don't understand how to implement a System Restore on a system
that will not boot either, but that would be a good trick too and do
you really think SR will magically replace those two mismatched files
with XP versions?

Once booting into RC, replacing the two files is generally just
entering 2 commands.  If you can type, you can do it with a fraction
of the effort and time.

So far, most people are able to follow simple directions to make a
bootable RC CD and that eliminates the need for any original XP media,
puzzling over some new GUI, or moving any hardware around.  Yes - by
all means compose instructions on how to create and build a Bart PE
and replace those two files.  No link was provided to Bart PE either,
so I will need all those instructions too.  Pretend I know nothing
about any (equivalent) environment and get me started.

But the chances are also pretty good that there is something else
going on besides simply replacing two mismatched files, that is the
easy part.  There is no notice of what provoked this action in the
first place.  After replacing the two files the system still may not
boot and then the original problem can be investigated.
0
Jose
3/31/2010 2:32:26 PM
Jose wrote:
> On Mar 31, 9:56 am, John John - MVP <audetw...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
>
>> Sheesh!  He would do what you expect him to do in the Recovery Console
>> but he would do it in a GUI environment rather than at a command line
>> and he would have way more options available to him than the handful of
>> commands available in the Recovery Console!
>>
>> John
>
> If the OP doesn't know how to replace two system files what do you
> think the chances are of coming up with an original XP installation CD

The OP said in another post that he does have a real Windows XP CD and
the instructions on the UBCD4Win are fairly clear and straightforward.
I have noticed that you often like to take 'pot-shots' at suggestions
offered by others and that these pot-shots sublimely suggest that your
solutions are right and that the others aren't.  By all means when
errors or incorrect and ridiculous advice is given you should point it
out, but just because the other suggestions differ from your preferred
solution it doesn't make these other suggestions wrong or incorrect.
The Recovery Console is one way that the OP can use to restore the file
but it isn't the only way, the suggestion to use a PE disk is just as
valid as yours... and discovering the usefulness of tools like the PE
disks is a valuable lesson for novices.

John
0
John
3/31/2010 3:00:08 PM

"Jose" <jose_ease@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mar 31, 6:12 am, "John Smith" <JohnSm...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7
>> machine.
>> The files are:-
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
>> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
>> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
>> Thanks.
>
> Why would you put Windows 7 files on an XP system?
>
> If all you did was overwrite two files, there are copies of the
> original XP files in other places on your XP system that you can copy
> back to where the original ones belong.  It is a simple matter to
> replace the improper files with XP files.
>
> You do not need to do a system restore, you do not need to make a Bart
> PE CD, you do not have to move the drive to another system, etc.  You
> can't make a Bart PE CD without an original XP installation CD anyway
> - it is a requirement to even start, and then, what would you do next
> even if you had a Bart PE CD?  If you were able to move the drive to
> another system as a slave drive, what would you do next?
>
> You can replace the two files easily from the XP Recovery Console.
> You can boot RC using your original XP installation CD, or you can
> make a new bootable Recovery Console CD (which may come in handy some
> other day).  Many folks do not have original bootable XP installation
> media, but that is no issue if all you need to do is replace two
> files.  Just make a bootable RC disk, replace the files and be on your
> way.
>
> You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
> available:
>
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic276527.html
>
> When you afflicted system booted into the recovery console, let us
> know and we will give you instructions on how to replace your two
> files.
--------
Thanks Jose...ref why did I do it:-

I know I know....!!
Reason was I have an external hard drive that works ok on the W7 machine but
not on the XP.
When looking at Device Manager in W7 it showed that the two files mentioned
were shown as drivers
for the EHD...whereas on the XP machine, although Device Manager doesn't
show a problem, the drivers shown are pretty old...2001..
...hence decided to copy them to the XP machine...WRONG!...

....and now I've used the original XP CD, clicked on R, Recovery Console,
loads of files loaded and I'm now at the C:\> prompt
...instructions as to how to replace back the two files now would be
appreciated.

0
John
3/31/2010 5:00:20 PM

> "Jose" <jose_ease@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Mar 31, 6:12 am, "John Smith" <JohnSm...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7
>>> machine.
>>> The files are:-
>>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
>>> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
>>> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Why would you put Windows 7 files on an XP system?
>>
>> If all you did was overwrite two files, there are copies of the
>> original XP files in other places on your XP system that you can copy
>> back to where the original ones belong.  It is a simple matter to
>> replace the improper files with XP files.
>>
>> You do not need to do a system restore, you do not need to make a Bart
>> PE CD, you do not have to move the drive to another system, etc.  You
>> can't make a Bart PE CD without an original XP installation CD anyway
>> - it is a requirement to even start, and then, what would you do next
>> even if you had a Bart PE CD?  If you were able to move the drive to
>> another system as a slave drive, what would you do next?
>>
>> You can replace the two files easily from the XP Recovery Console.
>> You can boot RC using your original XP installation CD, or you can
>> make a new bootable Recovery Console CD (which may come in handy some
>> other day).  Many folks do not have original bootable XP installation
>> media, but that is no issue if all you need to do is replace two
>> files.  Just make a bootable RC disk, replace the files and be on your
>> way.
>>
>> You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
>> available:
>>
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic276527.html
>>
>> When you afflicted system booted into the recovery console, let us
>> know and we will give you instructions on how to replace your two
>> files.
> --------
> Thanks Jose...ref why did I do it:-
>
> I know I know....!!
> Reason was I have an external hard drive that works ok on the W7 machine
> but
> not on the XP.
> When looking at Device Manager in W7 it showed that the two files
> mentioned
> were shown as drivers
> for the EHD...whereas on the XP machine, although Device Manager doesn't
> show a problem, the drivers shown are pretty old...2001..
> ..hence decided to copy them to the XP machine...WRONG!...
>
> ...and now I've used the original XP CD, clicked on R, Recovery Console,
> loads of files loaded and I'm now at the C:\> prompt
> ..instructions as to how to replace back the two files now would be
> appreciated.

It's just a straight copy command, e.g.

copy e:\i386\disk.sys  c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys

Whether the Recovery Console lets you write something into the Drivers
folder is another question. Many folders remain out of reach while in RC
mode unless you tweak the registry while Windows is still up and running. If
so then you need to use of the methods I suggested in my initial reply.

0
Pegasus
3/31/2010 6:12:07 PM
John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in

> Making a PE Disk can be a bit of a daunting task for a novice, if
> you want you can download a "pre-made" PE disk here:
>
> http://www.ubcd4win.com/
> Welcome to the UBCD4Win.com

I take it you haven't checked that site in a while...
Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows (UBCD4WIN) used to have an .iso image but
now you are required to build it as well.  I think it is a copyright
issue.

HTH,
  John
0
John
3/31/2010 7:57:02 PM
John

What worked and what solved you issue. In alt.24hr,helpdesk they told you something
completely different for the fix and you posted there that it worked and thanked
them. Here in the public.windowsxp newsgroup you did the same but for another fix.
So which one worked. I doubt what BD told you worked or anybody else there worked.
Help me out here and let us know

--
Peter

"John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Jose" <jose_ease@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Mar 31, 6:12 am, "John Smith" <JohnSm...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced  a couple files from a W7 machine.
>>> The files are:-
>>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
>>> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
>>> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Why would you put Windows 7 files on an XP system?
>>
>> If all you did was overwrite two files, there are copies of the
>> original XP files in other places on your XP system that you can copy
>> back to where the original ones belong.  It is a simple matter to
>> replace the improper files with XP files.
>>
>> You do not need to do a system restore, you do not need to make a Bart
>> PE CD, you do not have to move the drive to another system, etc.  You
>> can't make a Bart PE CD without an original XP installation CD anyway
>> - it is a requirement to even start, and then, what would you do next
>> even if you had a Bart PE CD?  If you were able to move the drive to
>> another system as a slave drive, what would you do next?
>>
>> You can replace the two files easily from the XP Recovery Console.
>> You can boot RC using your original XP installation CD, or you can
>> make a new bootable Recovery Console CD (which may come in handy some
>> other day).  Many folks do not have original bootable XP installation
>> media, but that is no issue if all you need to do is replace two
>> files.  Just make a bootable RC disk, replace the files and be on your
>> way.
>>
>> You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
>> available:
>>
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic276527.html
>>
>> When you afflicted system booted into the recovery console, let us
>> know and we will give you instructions on how to replace your two
>> files.
> --------
> Thanks Jose...ref why did I do it:-
>
> I know I know....!!
> Reason was I have an external hard drive that works ok on the W7 machine but
> not on the XP.
> When looking at Device Manager in W7 it showed that the two files mentioned
> were shown as drivers
> for the EHD...whereas on the XP machine, although Device Manager doesn't
> show a problem, the drivers shown are pretty old...2001..
> ..hence decided to copy them to the XP machine...WRONG!...
>
> ...and now I've used the original XP CD, clicked on R, Recovery Console,
> loads of files loaded and I'm now at the C:\> prompt
> ..instructions as to how to replace back the two files now would be appreciated.

0
Peter
3/31/2010 8:12:35 PM
Given the various followup questions asked by the OP,
I suppose it would be way too much to expect him to
have a recent backup of his system, from which he could
selectively restore the two files in question.

0
Anthony
3/31/2010 8:32:23 PM
On Mar 31, 1:00=A0pm, "John Smith" <JohnSm...@nospam.com> wrote:
> "Jose" <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Mar 31, 6:12 am, "John Smith" <JohnSm...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >> I have an XP machine. Have just replaced =A0a couple files from a W7
> >> machine.
> >> The files are:-
> >> c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
> >> c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys
> >> ...and now I can't boot the XP machine.
> >> How to get back to before I replaced the files?
> >> Thanks.
>
> > Why would you put Windows 7 files on an XP system?
>
> > If all you did was overwrite two files, there are copies of the
> > original XP files in other places on your XP system that you can copy
> > back to where the original ones belong. =A0It is a simple matter to
> > replace the improper files with XP files.
>
> > You do not need to do a system restore, you do not need to make a Bart
> > PE CD, you do not have to move the drive to another system, etc. =A0You
> > can't make a Bart PE CD without an original XP installation CD anyway
> > - it is a requirement to even start, and then, what would you do next
> > even if you had a Bart PE CD? =A0If you were able to move the drive to
> > another system as a slave drive, what would you do next?
>
> > You can replace the two files easily from the XP Recovery Console.
> > You can boot RC using your original XP installation CD, or you can
> > make a new bootable Recovery Console CD (which may come in handy some
> > other day). =A0Many folks do not have original bootable XP installation
> > media, but that is no issue if all you need to do is replace two
> > files. =A0Just make a bootable RC disk, replace the files and be on you=
> > way.
>
> > You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
> > available:
>
> >http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic276527.html
>
> > When you afflicted system booted into the recovery console, let us
> > know and we will give you instructions on how to replace your two
> > files.
>
> --------
> Thanks Jose...ref why did I do it:-
>
> I know I know....!!
> Reason was I have an external hard drive that works ok on the W7 machine =
but
> not on the XP.
> When looking at Device Manager in W7 it showed that the two files mention=
ed
> were shown as drivers
> for the EHD...whereas on the XP machine, although Device Manager doesn't
> show a problem, the drivers shown are pretty old...2001..
> ..hence decided to copy them to the XP machine...WRONG!...
>
> ...and now I've used the original XP CD, clicked on R, Recovery Console,
> loads of files loaded and I'm now at the C:\> prompt
> ..instructions as to how to replace back the two files now would be
> appreciated.

Good.

When you boot into RC you should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder - not C:\
so hopefully there is not another problem or some typo somewhere in
your reply.

XP has copies of those files here:

c:\windows\system32\dllcache

You need to copy those two files to the target folder:

c:\windows\system32\drivers

From your RC prompt you would enter two commands:

copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\disk.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\partmgr.sys c:\windows
\system32\drivers

Respond in the affirmative (Yes) when asked to overwrite the existing
file and you will get a message that 1 file(s) was copied.  Do that
for both files replacing them with the original XP versions.

I just tried it from my RC and it works fine.

Reboot and please report back your results or issues.
0
Jose
3/31/2010 8:48:53 PM

> [...]
>
> When you boot into RC you should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder - not C:\
> so hopefully there is not another problem or some typo somewhere in
> your reply.
>
> XP has copies of those files here:
>
> c:\windows\system32\dllcache
>
> You need to copy those two files to the target folder:
>
> c:\windows\system32\drivers
>
> From your RC prompt you would enter two commands:
>
> copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\disk.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers
>
> copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\partmgr.sys c:\windows
> \system32\drivers
>
> Respond in the affirmative (Yes) when asked to overwrite the existing
> file and you will get a message that 1 file(s) was copied.  Do that
> for both files replacing them with the original XP versions.
>
> I just tried it from my RC and it works fine.
>
> Reboot and please report back your results or issues.
-------------------
Yes its c:\> I'm at not c:\windows
from the c prompt did copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\disk.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers
but got the note..the command is not recognised?
How do I change from c to c:\windows?
Could it be that c:\windows\system32\dllcache\disk.sys is niot the same path
as mine.?..how do I check that?

0
John
3/31/2010 9:22:18 PM
John Wunderlich wrote:
> John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in
>
>> Making a PE Disk can be a bit of a daunting task for a novice, if
>> you want you can download a "pre-made" PE disk here:
>>
>> http://www.ubcd4win.com/
>> Welcome to the UBCD4Win.com
>>

> I take it you haven't checked that site in a while...
> Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows (UBCD4WIN) used to have an .iso image but
> now you are required to build it as well.  I think it is a copyright
> issue.

Yes, but it comes pre-assembled with various plug-ins.  With the
downloaded file building the CD is somewhat similar to doing a
slipstream and is easier than assembling the whole thing from scratch.

John
0
John
3/31/2010 9:50:28 PM
On Mar 31, 5:22=A0pm, "John Smith" <JohnSm...@nospam.com> wrote:
> "Jose" <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Mar 31, 1:00 pm, "John Smith" <JohnSm...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >> "Jose" <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

..

You

> >> --------
> >> Thanks Jose...ref why did I do it:-
>
> >> I know I know....!!
> >> Reason was I have an external hard drive that works ok on the W7 machi=
ne
> >> but
> >> not on the XP.
> >> When looking at Device Manager in W7 it showed that the two files
> >> mentioned
> >> were shown as drivers
> >> for the EHD...whereas on the XP machine, although Device Manager doesn=
't
> >> show a problem, the drivers shown are pretty old...2001..
> >> ..hence decided to copy them to the XP machine...WRONG!...
>
> >> ...and now I've used the original XP CD, clicked on R, Recovery Consol=
e,
> >> loads of files loaded and I'm now at the C:\> prompt
> >> ..instructions as to how to replace back the two files now would be
> >> appreciated.
>
> > Good.
>
> > When you boot into RC you should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder - not C:\
> > so hopefully there is not another problem or some typo somewhere in
> > your reply.
>
> > XP has copies of those files here:
>
> > c:\windows\system32\dllcache
>
> > You need to copy those two files to the target folder:
>
> > c:\windows\system32\drivers
>
> > From your RC prompt you would enter two commands:
>
> > copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\disk.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers
>
> > copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\partmgr.sys c:\windows
> > \system32\drivers
>
> > Respond in the affirmative (Yes) when asked to overwrite the existing
> > file and you will get a message that 1 file(s) was copied. =A0Do that
> > for both files replacing them with the original XP versions.
>
> > I just tried it from my RC and it works fine.
>
> > Reboot and please report back your results or issues.
>
> -------------------
> Yes its c:\> I'm at not c:\windows
> from the c prompt did copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\disk.sys
> c:\windows\system32\drivers
> but got the note..the command is not recognised?
> How do I change from c to c:\windows?
> Could it be that c:\windows\system32\dllcache\disk.sys is niot the same p=
ath
> as mine.?..how do I check that?

I am not 100% sure you are in the Recovery Console since if you were
and your system was not otherwise afflicted, you would be in C:
\WINDOWS.  The link I sent has all the instructions so that if you are
not sure what media you have (and it explains that), you will know for
sure when you are done.

The commands are correct and will work from any folder in RC and the
copy command is built into RC, so it most certainly should be
recognized - if you are really in RC and not booted using some other
CD that came with your system.  If you are not sure, make a CD using
the instructions in the link.  It will always work,

I booted RC from my genuine Windows CD and ended up in the C:\WINDOWS
folder, I entered 'help' from the command line and got a list of RC
commands.  I entered 'copy' from the prompt and got a message "The
parameter is not valid..."
so there is something haywire on your end.
0
Jose

Open Excel files linked on web page in Excel instead of IE?
Have a problem I hope someone can help with. Our office Intranet has links to .xls files, but when you click on the link it opens Excel from within IE, and you have to go in and manually select the Excel toolbars to display etc. As these xls files are opened frequently to price out jobs over the phone, it's not practical to have to manually select the nessesary toolbars etc every time the link is clicked on. Is there a way to bypass IE and open the file directly in Excel, or have all the "normal" elements of Excel displayed by default when Excel launches with IE? Thanks for any a...

Problem running .wmv , when a file system filter driver is install
Hi all. We have installed a custom file system filter driver, where we do file-system hooking, (including Fast-IO calls). We are using WinDDK 6001.18000. Now, when the driver is installed on a Vista Business x86 machine, and we try to play a .wmv file with Windows Media Player, it fails to play it. When we disable our driver, the wmv file plays effortlessly. We have gone through the document at the link : http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/archive/2009/04/07/exception-playing-mp3-wma-files-using-embedded-wmp-from-hta-files.aspx Also, we took a sequence of loaded DLLs, i...

Finding two numbers simultaneously.
I select a value (1st number), then I need to find a second value located 5, 10 and 15 readings previous. The information is 90 rows long and 5 columns wide. Because these values don't always show up at 5, 10 and 15 readings apart, I have to keep looking until they do. The readings don't need to show up together in a group. I need one result for 5, then another for 10 and another for 15. I've been using conditional formatting to highlight the two numbers in the range of B2:F91 and counting out manually when the readings show up togetherin the 5, 10 and 15 spans. Readi...

Replace word in sentence function...
I have the following function which replaces a word in a sentence with "....." =REPLACE(I2,SEARCH(E2,I2),LEN(E2),".....") Where the word is E2 and the sentence is I2. At the moment, if the word is "work" and the sentence is "I worked at home" I get the sentence "I .....ed at home". Any ideas how I could capture any remaining letters at the end of the word and get the result "I ..... at home"? I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Chris can you upload example, would be easier to view -- Message posted from h...

find and replace hyperlink?
Hi, I want to globally find and replace the contents of a hyperlink with a new hyperlink. For example, I want this Jul.xls#'Title Page'!A1 to be replaced with Aug.xls#'Title Page'!A1 I can't seem to find a way do it. Is there a way? Thank you, Mike Take a look at David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm look for: Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks) If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm me wrote: > > Hi, I want to g...

unreadable files
Hi. I sent some documents from my office computer to have at home with me. the docs were not created in the new versions of word, excel or power point so when i try and open at home they are a bunch of symbols on a couple of lines. I have read some of the response on converting and compatibility and nothing has worked. I appreciate anyone's help. thanks In news:F919B997-BD2F-409F-9AC7-86AEEF0A3B1D@microsoft.com, amh <amh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi. I sent some documents from my office computer to have at home > with me. the docs were not created i...

Combining two similar worksheets and showing changes
I thought i posted this question yesterday, obviously i have no idea what im doing, because now i can't find it. But anyway, In excel I have two very similar worksheets that started out as the same worksheet. They were copied by someone and now two users have been making changes to them, and i guess its my job to put them back together, and show the changes that both of the users made. if i just copied one to the other i would have nearly five thousand rows of duplicate data. How can i do this? It seems like it would be so simple, I just don't work with excel that much. th...

Replacing Powerpoint 97 SR-2 on M/S Office 97 Pro Edit on Win XP
I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP 97 which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3. I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I already have and still operat...

Mousehook.dll file
Hi I have been using this method to prevent my users using the mouse scroll wheel - as it gives unpredictable results. What I noted yesterday is this. I was working on a new customers database that I am using Mousehook.dll with. Then, another customer came on the phone and caused me to look at another database that did not use mousehook.dll. However, the mouse scroll wheel did not work here either. It must have inherited the property from the first database. I will bear this in mind in future when I try to recreate problems my customers complain of. Stapes ...

Unable to load graphics file
I had a hard drive "repair" and re-loaded Publisher 2000. Now the program won't let me insert .jpgs (or any other graphics file) -- I get an error message saying it can't convert them. I've tried to re-install from the CD, including the graphics section, but to no avail. Any ideas? Maybe your graphic filters are corrupt Look in a folder similar to this C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Grphflt If you cannot insert any image rename the .flt files to something like jpegim32.old and drag a new instance from your CD. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.micr...

Search and replace problem
Hi, I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to mark the cell's "to review". The symbol used was "(*)". I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace", but Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng between brackets. Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to delete the specific characters. TIA Melissa It's because it is a wildcard, you can replace it by preceding it with a tilde ~ which tell Excel to find an asterisk in find what p...

How do I block Outlook from sending a certian file type?
We have an outdated database that is hard coded to send .DBF files to Outlook. There is no way to prevent them from landing in Outlook. We need to figure out how to tell outlook to send the message anyway, but without the .DBF attachments. Any help? techsupport@crownservices.com <techsupport@crownservices.com> wrote: > We have an outdated database that is hard coded to send .DBF files to > Outlook. There is no way to prevent them from landing in Outlook. Create a rule that deletes messages from the address sending them. > We need to figure out how to tell outlook to send t...

File Sharing Error
I have three PC's on a home network, 2 desktops running XP home and a laptop running windows 7. Protection is Norton 2010. All PC's are visible on network including shared folders etc. I'll call the desktop PC's A & B. I can access office files from B while using A but cannot access any shared folder on A when using B. I get not enough permissions ( I am administrator on all 3) or not enough memory on network. Does this relate to PC memory etc or is my broadband hub limited? Also I have a hard drive enclosure attached to B with image files and a seagate expans...

What is a "System Mailbox"
What is a system mailbox and how can I move messages from it to another users mailbox? I would leave any system mailbox alone. Messing around with it unless you are directed by PSS or otherwise troubleshooting could make you very sad. On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:21:02 -0700, "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What is a system mailbox and how can I move messages from it to another users >mailbox? ...

replace a negative result with a zero?
I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is negative. Any help is greatly appreciated. -- Pam Well, what is the formula that you are using? You could try this: =3DMAX(your_formula,0) to replace your_formula. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 19, 5:17=A0pm, Pam2277 <Pam2...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is > negative. =A0Any help is greatly appreciated. > -- > Pam Hi, =if(your formula<0,0,your formula) "Pam2277" wrote: > ...

Offline files #2
I am trying to get Offline files with my .pst file to work correctly. I have followed Q252509 to allow the synchronization of .pst files. I have network share with my .pst and have made it available offline. When i am on the network i can go into Outlook and get access to my personal folder. When i am off the network and try to access my personal folder it says it can't access the file because its trying to retrieve it from the network. I verified that the file has been cached by checking out winnt\cdc. So I'm wondering why the cached file is not used when working offline. How ...

No prior System Restore points
Since 2 days ago when I check System Restore, all it has is the most current restore point. In the past I would show about 2 months worth of prior restore points. A new one would be automatically created each day. Now only todays is there. I checked and the settings still look proper as to what they always were. System Restore is turned ON and it is set at %12 (max). What could have changed and how can fix it to not purge all prior points except the current one? On Apr 10, 3:21=A0am, mkenewbie <mkenew...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Since 2 days ago when I c...

All attached files in mail are sent as zips instead of
All the email the client sends with attachments convert the attached files to zip format. I reinstalled Office 2002 to no avail. The file type settings are set properly as well in my computer. Any ideas? By any chance do you have QuickView Plus installed? I understand that it zips attachments before sending... -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "salvey" <salvey@mc.cc.md.us> wrote in message news:087901c35a97$6f85d830$a401280a@ph...

Selective Replace in Search and Replace
I need to search and replace in a large document. I don't want to replace the entire search term/expression just part of it. In this case I am searching for a paragraph return followed by any letter (not digit) and then want to change that to paragraph/tab but keep the letter. The search looks like this ^p^$ but naturally if replace is ^p^t I lose the first letter of the text string which I don't want How can I construct either search and replace so that ^p Alexander turns into ^p ^tAlexander and not ^p ^tlexander Thanks in a...

trendlines for two phases
Hello. I am working on a line chart that shows 12 weeks of data for homework completion. The X axis is weeks and the Y axis is rate of completion. Weeks 1-6 were baseline and data was collected for completion. Weeks 7-12 were experimental where an intervention was used to influence homework completion. I would like to be able to insert a trend line for weeks 1-6 and a separate trend line for weeks 7-12 on the same graph to compare student performance. Right now, when I right-click on a data point in my grapn to create a trendline, I get a trendline for all 12 weeks of data. Can a...

pst files not reconnecting
I use Outlook at home via a VPN and when I get to work I need to restart the server in order to reconnect to my pst files. How do I fix this? If I understand you correctly, you are accessing a PST file that is stored on your server, remotely via VPN? Note that this is pretty much guaranteed to cause some problems (although I'd suspect more with data corruption in the PST than anything else). MS does not recommend accessing PST files from network drives - and a network drive mapped over a VPN connection is going to have even more serious potential for problems. Re restarting the server...

Replace wildcards with a space
I have a text field with all values containing an asterisk. The asterisk can be located anywhere within the contents. I am trying to replace the asterisk with a space. I will then use TRIM to remove any spaces at the beginning of the text. I have been unable to get an update query to work. When my criteria is like "~[*}", Access says that 0 rows will be updated. When the criteria is [*], I am asked to enter a parameter value. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks - bkh Barbara wrote: >I have a text field with all values containing an aste...

Share workbook size of file?
I have a shared workbook, which is rapidly growing in size! If I save it as a standard excel file it is only 198KB but the same file as a shared workbook is 10,008KB! Why is this? And how do I keep the size of my shared workbook down and stop if from growing and growing and growing!? Thanks It may be growing as it is storing the change history. If you do not need it to do this, unshare then share again. This will clear the history. >-----Original Message----- >I have a shared workbook, which is rapidly growing in size! If I save it as a >standard excel file it is only 198KB...

Replace more characters using replace
Hi I have number of characters in a string, that I like to replace with "nothing". I use a code like this: Sub test() Dim a As String a = "Jan+& Per" a = Replace(a, " ", "") a = Replace(a, "&", "") a = Replace(a, "+", "") MsgBox a End Sub As I have about 15 characters, that all should be replaced with nothing, I am looking ofr another way to it. Something like Sub test() Dim a As String a = "Jan+& Per" a = Replace(a, {" ",...

Instantly Convert Microsoft? Word Document into PDF Files
Convert Doc to PDF For Word is the fast, affordable way to create professional-quality documents in the popular PDF file format. Its easy-to-use interface allows you to create PDF files by simply click the "Save as PDF" button from MS Word, creating documents which can be viewed on any computer with a PDF viewer. Convert Doc to PDF For Word supports Font embedding, resolution, compression and multi-language. Convert DOC to PDF For Word is a Word Addin component/DLL that Convert DOC to PDF, Word document to PDF automatically. And Convert DOC to PDF For Word don't need any software...