How to reduce the number of shortcuts/links in the recent documents list?

When I look into the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent

then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed.

How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list?

Cindy

0
cypy

Cindy Parker wrote:
> When I look into the folder:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent
>
> then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed.
>
> How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list?
>
> Cindy

Right click on the Start button and choose Properties --> Customize
button --> Advanced Tab and un-tick (US: un-check) where it says "List
my most recent documents"

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/clear-recent-documents-in-the-xp-start-menu/

Cindy Parker wrote:
> When I look into the folder:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent
>
> then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed.
>
> How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list?
>
> Cindy

0
Bob

cypy@live.com (Cindy Parker) wrote in

> When I look into the folder:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent
>
> then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed.
>
> How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list?
>
> Cindy

Assuming you have XP Pro:

Start->Run->"gpedit.msc"

Then find:
  User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components
      -> Windows Explorer

Then in the right window, double-click on:
  "Maximum number of recent documents".

HTH,
  John
0
John
2/22/2010 8:59:17 PM
Note: The invalid use of the FollowUp-To header was ignored.  The original
set of newsgroups were reinstated in my reply.

Cindy Parker wrote:

> When I look into the folder:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent
>
> then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed.
>
> How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list?
>
> Cindy

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292504
Under the "Windows Explorer" node:
Policy:Maximum number of recent documents
0
VanguardLH
2/22/2010 9:43:32 PM
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:43:32 -0600
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> articulated:

> Note: The invalid use of the FollowUp-To header was ignored.  The
> original set of newsgroups were reinstated in my reply.

Technically, it is not invalid. See: RFC1036 & RFC2076. There are also
MUAs such as Mutt that employ it. It is non-standard though. There was
an RFC proposed for its usage that is still awaiting final approval
which will probably never come.

--
Carmel	|::::=======
	|::::=======
	|===========
	|===========

0
Carmel
2/22/2010 10:27:18 PM
Carmel wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:43:32 -0600
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> articulated:
>
>> Note: The invalid use of the FollowUp-To header was ignored.  The
>> original set of newsgroups were reinstated in my reply.
>
> Technically, it is not invalid. See: RFC1036 & RFC2076. There are also
> MUAs such as Mutt that employ it. It is non-standard though. There was
> an RFC proposed for its usage that is still awaiting final approval
> which will probably never come.

I've seen users use the FollowUp-To header that points to the same
newsgroup(s) to which they posted; i.e., there's no difference in the
newsgroups listed in the Newsgroups and FollowUp-To headers.  Dumb.  I've
see users that are rude by shotgunning their post into newsgroups where they
have no intention on discussing their post, so regulars or visitors to those
abandoned newsgroups get disconnected.  Rude.

So far, the only time that I've seen the proper or *logical* use of the
FollowUp-To header is where one newsgroup is to post exhibits of spam but
discussions of it belong in another discussion group.  I'm not sure what was
the history behind this header but I suspect it was expected for use under
conditions which typical users never consider.

If you use a FollowUp-To header which has a different list of newsgroups
than does the Newsgroups header then you should never have posted into those
other newsgroups in the first place.  All you did (if anyone bothered to
obey your request using that header) was generated NOISE in the other
groups.

Here's my canned rant on the misuse (which is often redundant or rude rather
than proper use) of that header:

--- Rant on inappropriate use of the FollowUp-To header ---

Don't use the FollowUp-To header.  Posting to, say, 3 newsgroups but moving
replies to just 1 of them or to a completely different one means you
disconnect the visitors of those other 2 (or 3) newsgroups from the rest of
the discussion.  If a newsgroup is appropriate for your post then it is also
appropriate for the replies.  Or, converserly, if the continued discussion
of your post is not appropriate in all the newsgroups to which you
cross-posted then you should not have posted to those other newsgroups in
the first place.  You are using the FollowUp-To header to move replies to
YOUR "home" newsgroup but which the users of the other newsgroups may not
visit.  After all, if you cross-post and include your "home" newsgroup then
you'll see all those replies in your home newsgroup and meanwhile all the
other users can still see the replies in their newsgroup where you decided
to also publish your post.

In http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/primer/part1/, it says, "For a
cross-post, you may want to set the Followup-To: header line to the most
suitable group for the rest of the discussion".  Read another way, that
means you disconnect the discussion from all the visitors of the other
newsgroups to which you decided to publish your post.  Why did you publish
to those other newsgroups if you are going to yank the discussion away from
those users and perhaps even from the respondents you were attempting to
elicit?  It is exasperating to post a reply and never see it in the
newsgroup where you read the original post.  If your post was appropriate
for all the groups to which you cross-posted then why wouldn't those same
groups be appropriate for the replies?  To yank away the discussion to your
"home" group is rude since that is probably not the "home" group for your
respondents.  You wanted replies which may require further replies but now
your respondents no longer see the thread in the newsgroup that they visit
to where you published your post.  Also, the respondents may not know if
their reply is appropriate in the "home" group that you happen to choose.
In general, malcontents and spammers use the FollowUp-To header to hide
negative replies to their flame or spam posts, often sending the replies off
to a *.test newsgroup.  Is that the company of users to which you want to be
associated?

There are some cases where FollowUp-To should be used.  For example, say a
newsgroup is supposed to only get used for citing the content of a spam
e-mail.  Discussions about that spam are not supposed to be published in
that citing newsgroup.  Just the exhibits are published there.  If someone
wants to discuss that particular spam, their replies should go into a
different newsgroup meant for those discussions.  I believe that is how some
of the NANAE newsgroups operate but the principle may apply elsewhere, like
for an *.announce group where only announcements are to be made but
discussions about them are to be posted in another group; however, it is
rare few newsgroups where FollowUp-To is appropriate.  For the vast majority
of newsgroups, FollowUp-To is *not* appropriate.  If you do not want
continue the discussion in the other newsgroups then don't cross-post over
there to only then use FollowUp-To to yank away the continued discussion.
If the discussion is not appropriate in those other newsgroups then it seems
you have self-nominated your post to be off-topic and hence spam.

If you do use the FollowUp-To header, you are expected per netiquette to
alert the readers of your post that you used that header.  Be polite and add
a note (at the start of your post) saying that you used the header (ex.,
"WARNING: FollowUp-To was used and points to <newsgroup>".  You might also
want to explain why you consider any further discussion in the other
newsgroups is inappropriate despite your rudeness in posting to those other
newsgroups.  Many times respondents wonder where their reply post went
because they expect to see it in the group they visited and where they read
your post.  Not all NNTP clients alert the user that the poster used the
FollowUp-To header.  Think about it: you post to multiple newsgroups but
yank the replies to a different newsgroup than where your respondents
visited, then you need more help and reply to those replies but which are
now only in your "home" newsgroup, but the respondents won't see their posts
nor will they see your replies to them asking for more help.  FollowUp-To is
not required when you cross-post since your "home" newsgroup should be one
those that were specified in the list of newsgroups.  You'll watch the
discussion in your home newsgroup and the respondents or lurkers can watch
that same discussion in their own newsgroup.  If you don't want replies to
show up in all the newsgroups to which you cross-posted then don't
cross-post over there in the first place!

When crossposting, there are not multiple copies of your post that wastes
bandwidth for each to get them propagated to other NNTP servers and there
aren't multiple copies of your post consuming disk space.  A single copy
gets sent to the other NNTP servers and a single copy resides on each NNTP
server with pointers to it to make it show up in multiple newsgroups.  You
aren't saving bandwidth or disk space by redirecting replies for a
cross-posted message to a single newsgroup.  You are just being rude to the
visitors of the other newsgroups to which you cross-posted but tried to yank
away the discussion.

--- End of rant ---
0
VanguardLH

How do i link from one work book to another?
Sorry to be a pain, i know its more than likely a simple answer but i cant work it out on my own. i have a file with a bunch of worksheets on it and one summary page on the front with all of the totals on it. I also have a seperate file (excel) that has all of my repairs on it. So basically when the boss says why did we spend so much on machine x, on the totals page, i want him to be able to click on a link or something like that, that will take him to the other file with all the repairs listed on it. Thanks For Your Help Right click on the cell>Hyperlink>From the lef...

Linking Check Boxes or List Box to Query
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me out here as I am pulling my hair out. I have a form that has unbound fields as follows Text Box - Start Date Text Box - End Date Combo Box - Call Type and a button that runs the query which includes the fields Call Date - Between [forms]![FrmMarketingStats]![txtCallDateStart] And [forms]![FrmMarketingStats]![txtCallDateEnd] Call Type - [forms]![FrmMarketingStats]![cboCallType] Company (no criteria required) Successful (this is the part I need help with) The available options for Succesful are - Yes, No or n/a I can achieve this by add...

Exporting Customer Mailing List Data From RMS
The objective is to export customer mailing list data in a format useable to a mailing service company. When you use the Mailing Labels option within Crystal Reports, the city/state/zip data is contained within one field. The preferred format is for that data to be in three separate fields, so that ZIP sorting can be performed. Can someone guide me through the process I need to follow to make this happen? Thanks. Do a customer list report (you will have to add the address fields by editing it with a text editor) from the reports menu and export it to CSV or comma seperated. &quo...

reduce document print size
This seems like it should be an obvious answer, but I can't figure it out. I have a 24"x18" sign in Publisher, I want to reduce it to postcard size, or about 6"x4.5". I can't find any print driver setting to allow me to do this. There is a setting for 25% reduction but thats a function of the printer driver. Does publisher have a function to allow me to reduce the print size down to 12.5%? Hmmm.... I suppose I could output to jpg and reduce with photoshop.... surely there is a much easier answer though. Thanks! If there is text involved, the conversion...

Converting numbers to "database" format
I want to convert numbers in excel to a format with a set amount of digits. For example, 1 becomes 001, 12 becomes 012 etc. I have created a special format using 000. This works until I want to work with these numbers, for example by using CONCATENATE. So if I have 01 and 012 and want it to be 01012, it ends up as 112. Any suggestion on how to preserve formatting? hi, with leading zeros i am assuming that these are "text" numbers or numbers you are not going to do math with. so your problem is the excel thing that they are numbers. format them as text and make sure that t...

Linking data from the Internet
Please guide me if I'm in the wrong group, I don't want to cross post unnecessarily. I want to modify a working Spread sheet to pull stock values from the internet and plug them into cells. Has this been done and can someone show me an example? It would save me hours of work each week. Thanks, Doug Sanders 2003 Data>Get External Data>New Web Query 2007 Data>From Web Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:07:52 -0800, Doug Sanders <dougsix@earthlink.net> wrote: >Please guide me if I'm in the wrong group, I do...

Global recipient limit and distribution lists with a lot of member
Hi all, I have to set the global recipient limit to 100 in our Exchange 2003 organization. We have some distribution lists which have more than 100 members, but everybody does not have the permission to send messages to these lists. I set the recipient limit to 5000 at user-level at those users who have permission to send messages. Will it work? Will they be able to send messages to DLs which have 2000 members in spite of the global setting? Will it work with query-based distribution lists as well? Thank you very much, bolo Should work, the user setting should override the global se...

How to reduce table?
I have a table with over 5000 rows. However, only about 2500 rows contain info, the rest are empty rows (one row with info, next empty, etc). I deleted a few rows by clicking on them and holding Ctrl key. But is there a way to delete several hundreds of empty rows at once? If there is, may someone please tell me how to do it! -- Ilya Zeldes Fort Myers, Florida Select a column that has empty cells. F5>Special>Blanks>OK. Edit>Delete>Entire Rows. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:56:51 -0400, "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote: >I h...

how do i set up a group task list?
I want to set up a group task list that can be edited by 3 different people? I know I can share a task list but that means others have read only rights, which isn't enough. All help gratefully accepted. "steelygal" <steelygal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53439470-0622-4084-B941-4EB200A905AB@microsoft.com... >I want to set up a group task list that can be edited by 3 different people? > I know I can share a task list but that means others have read only rights, > which isn't enough. All help gratefully accepted. Share the t...

"How does Money Get These Numbers?"
Hi! I know that there's a link to a rather vague answer for the above question in Microsoft Money, when it comes to how Money calculates existing data to crunch trended/budgeted items or spread a trended budget item across the cash forecast graph. The help entry shrugs it off like "Money uses your existing data." Duh. Does anyone have ideas of EXACTLY how Money totals and divides your existing budget items to create a budget entry? Does it add the value up and total by the number of months you've recorded? (My experiments don't line up close enough for me to be sure that...

Money 2006 Update Brokerages List
Does anyone knows if there is someway to update the brokerage list for Money 2006? I have the Principal Brokerage Investments that shows in 2007 and 2008, but in 2006 I get is Principal Fincial Group(which also shows up in 2007 and 2008)and when I try to log in it says the username and password is incorrect. The password works fine when I add Principal Brokerage Investments in MSN Money. I tried to create a new money file and pull from MSN Money and it pulls all accounts except Pricipal Brokerage. Any ideas? I really want to user Money 2006 since 2007 and 2008 does not provide in...

Tracking Number on SOP Invoice Form
I am trying to get the Tracking number that is entered in the Sales User Defined Fields Entry Window onto the SOP Long Invoice Form. Does anyone know what tables to create the relationship with? I know the SOP10107 table holds the tracking number into and I was able to get the table in the table list but i must have the incorrect relationship because nothing appears on the report when i add the tracking number. -- Thanks Knavas Hello Knavas, If you are on GP 7.5 SP2 or higher you can refer to KB article 874762. If you are on GP 7.5 SP1 or lower you can refer to KB 859212. Both art...

Text box layout settings are changed when the document is closed
I have a text box in my footer. I have set layout settings for it so that it displays in the right place. The wrapping style is Square, the horizontal is aligned right relative to column, the vertical is absolute position .47" below Bottom Margin, and the Options are Allow overlap and Layout in table cell. (Some of these may be irrelevant to the problem, but I'm not sure which.) After saving the document, when I close the file and reopen it, the horizontal and vertical layout settings are changed - horizontal to an absolute position to the right of Page and vertical t...

can I make access remember a last unbound number
I want to 'store' a number (which changes frequently) in an unbound text box, but do not want it stored in any tables. Can this be done? The number is used to reference a user start point, but I want it to still be there when the database is reopened. "efandango" <efandango@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5F6D14E-3B48-4DD5-8A7E-3C6477AE8B01@microsoft.com... >I want to 'store' a number (which changes frequently) in an unbound text >box, > but do not want it stored in any tables. Can this be done? > > The number is...

Reporting Services Lists & CRM
Has anybody tried aligning column headings located outside and above of a Reporting Services' list to their respective fields within the list? Everything lines up fine in Visual Studio's preview of the report. But, when published to CRM, the fields within the list are slightly shifted to the right or left of their intended position below the headings. The accumulative shift can be substantial. I've tried just about everything, including the use of fixed-width fonts. Nothing works, except placing the column headings within the same list... which has the obvious and undesirable ef...

The Distribution List Form
Is it possible to add some column headers to a Distribution List Form (now contains only the Full Name and the Email Address (or Email 1?). If I can add fields with the Field Chooser, it becomes much easier to use. Can it be done, short of VBA which, like the jitterbug, seems to just plumb evade me? Oops; sorry; Outlook 2003, using Exchange Server, on XP. "Jack" wrote: > Is it possible to add some column headers to a Distribution List Form (now > contains only the Full Name and the Email Address (or Email 1?). > > If I can add fields with the Field ...

Help With Numbers To Dates
Hello, I am trying to paste into Excel, columns of numbers (from Word) that are separated by hyphens. Excel is converting most of these numbers to a date format. How can I stop this from happening? I have attempted every Special Paste feature that Excel 2005 has. THANKS Billy Hampton Select the columns in XL that you intend to use to receive these numbers from Word, and *PRE-Format* them to text. Then, simply copy and paste. -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefi...

Reducing the Database
I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the original source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment) and expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new mail server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show 1g as it did on the other server? Thanks Ken Depends :-) What is your Deleted Items Retention policy? If you deleted everything yesterda...

Can I stop links from converting backslashes to slashes?
Hi, We have an application where we launch Excel sheets with a backslash switch. I am putting the same line we use in our applications, into an email. i.e. <file:\\filename.xls /e/test/> When Outlook tries to open it, it converts to \\filename.xls \e\test\ Argh! I've tried the "%5C", and that doesn't work. And "quotes" doesn't work either. I searched for an autocorrect option to turn off, but I see nothing related to hyperlinks. Anyone have an idea? Thanks, Jon well, you need more that the %5C to make it work - you need %20 for spaces too... ...

the viewstate hidden field, how can I reduce it?
hi asp.net 3.5 I see in my page that the hidden field viewstate is relativly very large, and are looking for ways to reduce it. Because I think it can improve ranking. <input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="WJ6eLjF5Grnr80+KngeZIcTDmEbX+zjv6ptIUmMgYaqKCBB/5hAKJ748W52U1l74GfNLHDuTLuwC/O4GQE/Sp+BnQYsW+nJHK+Qkg6xfb467kHRpiCUUl/Uv2tgQssSa2K4sfbMyaL/IIlb03091A3lbQV1wLMDvL7NPqXgwJERA1+Cx2eNlzll2WkbhNQw5Ne0FmtmBXaZysPeDEeQIrl5R2IesEHnCbrG5Mz2otNviv2JKia1yXgAKw3ljDlH7wmYWOF+WXn9lhsF5YElQnMZV2hpzQjJ91O5YARub/ci77gftNaI2Z6FqHjH...

How do I add a number of working days to todays date to get a dead
Hi, I'm looking for a function, similar to NETWORKDAYS, but that will allow me to add a number of working days to todays date to generate a deadline, hopefully I'd like to include Holidays too, just like NETWORKDAYS can, so based on established timescales, I can generate a date the job will be completed by. For instance, If Cell A1 has todays date, and A2 has the number of working days a job takes to complete, I'd like a function for A3 that will work out what the date will be when the job is complete. Try this =WORKDAY(A1,A2,Holidays) A1 and a2 are as you describe, str...

Can't send web link or page by email with outlook
-- Legro See the big white space? Please include some information there so we can help you. Include at a minimum your version of Outlook, exactly what you're trying to do and exactly what error messages appear and at what point. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] http://forums.slipstick.com ...

Problem with maito links
Hi, If I click on a mailto link in a browser a new mail message doesnt open in Outlook. What happens is about 50 new browser windows open with the folowing address: mailto:support@microsoft.com Does anyone know what I can do about this? Thanks for your advice shaun <shaunthornburgh@hotmail.com> wrote: > If I click on a mailto link in a browser a new mail message doesnt > open in Outlook. What happens is about 50 new browser windows open > with the folowing address: > > mailto:support@microsoft.com > > Does anyone know what I can do about this? Repair the &quo...

Determine number of rows with data

Replace Number
I have over 400 entries in a colomn which start with 0015...and then more numbers. how can easily edit on mass so that they now begin with only 015 ??? cheers Hi, To get these leading zeroes there are 2 likely possibilities:- 1. The cells are formatted to show them so simply alter the format. or 2. The numbers are really text and I have assumed this is the case. So if the 'numbers' start in a1 put this in b1 and drag down =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1) Copy this new range and then select the 'old' range and Edit|Paste special - select values - OK delete t...