How do I rename a file extension.

If I try to do this the file ends up with a name such as:
File.exe.sub.

The normal extensions are hidden from view, but is there
some window that will allow a rename of the extension?

Please help, Frank

0
Frank

"Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message
> If I try to do this the file ends up with a name such as:
> File.exe.sub.
>
> The normal extensions are hidden from view, but is there some window that
> will allow a rename of the extension?
>

> Please help, Frank

First off, you should enable viewing of file extensions for known file types
in the settings of XP.  Start Windows Explorer and then click on Tools,
Folder Options, View and then turn off the check for "Hide extensions for
known file types".  Then when you attempt to change the file extension it
will be a lot easier to determine what the new extension will be and the
structure of the extension.  What is happening with the hide extensions
turned on is that you can't delete the extension and the computer just adds
the new extension after the old.

By the way, if you rename an .exe file to something else you probably will
lose the ability to run the program until it is renamed back.  Extensions do
mean a lot to the computer's operating system and should not be changed
lightly.

0
LVTravel
12/14/2009 3:39:43 AM
Check to see if you can change the resolution to 1280x800 as a starting
point. Most older video cards will support this resolution.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message
> If I try to do this the file ends up with a name such as:
> File.exe.sub.
>
> The normal extensions are hidden from view, but is there some window that
> will allow a rename of the extension?
>

> Please help, Frank

0
JS
12/14/2009 5:14:52 AM

"JS" <@> wrote in message news:unO9ixHfKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Check to see if you can change the resolution to 1280x800 as a starting
> point. Most older video cards will support this resolution.
>
> --
SNIPPED Franks post

???? What does changing the video resolution have to do with file name
extensions?  Me thinks you posted to the wrong newsgroup thread!  Should
have been the "next older" thread about wide-screen monitor.

0
LVTravel
12/14/2009 2:22:40 PM
Thanks:
Yep, I missposted to the wrong thread :-(

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "JS" <@> wrote in message news:unO9ixHfKHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Check to see if you can change the resolution to 1280x800 as a starting
>> point. Most older video cards will support this resolution.
>>
>> --
> SNIPPED Franks post
>
> ???? What does changing the video resolution have to do with file name
> extensions?  Me thinks you posted to the wrong newsgroup thread!  Should
> have been the "next older" thread about wide-screen monitor.

0
JS
12/14/2009 10:18:15 PM
"Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message =
> If I try to do this the file ends up with a name such as:
> File.exe.sub.
> The normal extensions are hidden from view, but is there=20
> some window that will allow a rename of the extension?

Move the file to the C:\ folder, then click "Start", "Run", type
"cmd  /c  rename  c:\file.exe  file.sub" into the "Open" box and
click "OK".

Ben
0
Ben

Extract text content from MS office files
Hi, I want to extract text content MS-OFFICE documents like word, ppt, xls... Plz gimme some tips. Regard Jack ...

read binary file into byte[]
What is the most efficient technique to read a binary file ( such as a .dll or .exe ) into a byte[] ? Are there advantages to using a BinaryReader ? Thanks. John Grandy wrote: > What is the most efficient technique to read a binary file ( such as a .dll > or .exe ) into a byte[] ? > > Are there advantages to using a BinaryReader ? BinaryReader is mainly useful for when you are dealing with specific data types _other_ than an array of bytes. As for "the most efficient technique" for reading a binary file, it all depends. But, depending on ...

System.xml.xmlnode class and XSD file
Hello. I'm trying to develop a web comsuming client using VS.NET 2003(VB), .NET Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322, WSE2.0 on a WinXP Pro Sp2 comuter. I've done other web consuming client programs for services that passed datatables. This service i am trying to consume has it's function type as system.xml.xmlnode. When i added the web service, i thought it would generate an XSD for me, but it did not. It did for previous programs. I'm not sure if is supposed to. The service i am trying to consume is at: https://xatanet.net/xatanetwebservice/tripexportservice.asmx...

Trying to build a fixed width file for importing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C48A0A.F421FA30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to build a fixed width file In Excel to import into another = program. The records are 252 (not sure what to call it) bits? of = information long, in several fields. When I build a couple of records = for testing according to the file specs from the program, I am saving = the file as an Excel "space delimited" .PRN file using Courier font. So = far, so good. However, when I open ...

How do I stop styles from changing when I save and reopen the file
I frequently use styles to format my documents. However, sometimes I have noticed that when I save a document, close it and then open it later, the style formats have changed. This most often seems to happen on Headers - for example when I save the file there will be outline numbering applied to Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. but when I open it next time the numbering is gone or the font on the numbering has changed. I've also had my paragraph spacing change - such as I changed a style to only have 4pt after a paragraph and when I reopen the document (or someone else opens it)...

Network deleted file
Hello, Any one can tell me, if i delte the file or folder to network machine, so where the deleted folder will go in which recycle bin,network machin or local machine. Hello Jiwan, None of both, if you delete a file on a network share it is complete deleted. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm > Hello, > > Any one can tell me, if i delte the file ...

Can't restore main Outlook pst file info
After reformatting my hard drive etc. Outlook will not read the information in my main PST file. I have two others, Archive.pst and Hotmail.pst and these read ok. The main Outlook.pst only shows what looks to be the default folders and all are empty. I have tried the "detect and repair" program and tried delecting all the Outlook files and re-copying them from my back up disk. I am sure that the Outlook.pst file is ok, it's just that Outlook won't read it for some reason. Thanks for any help you can provide. ...

Opening Publisher Files #4
I received an email with a Publisher 2003 Flyer attached. I have Pblisher 2000 and are not able to open the file. Is it possible? If so, how? Thanks!!! While waiting for decisions from his 6 university choices, Ed sees a message from Winnie <Winnie@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > I received an email with a Publisher 2003 Flyer attached. I have > Pblisher 2000 and are not able to open the file. Is it possible? Try asking the person who sent you the file to do a File > Save As... > Publisher 2000. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ww...

Resource file problems.
For some reason my resource file changes on it's own. On compiling I get an error as unknown resource for "HIDC_CAPTION_EDIT". I opened the file ran a "replace all" on it to change it back to "IDC_CAPTION_EDIT". Everything works fine the next time I make any changes to my resources I get the same error and it has been changed back again! I know the res file is being updated but where do I look for the cause and fix it? Thanks, Mark If what you are saying is that you have "HIDC_CAPTION_EDIT" defined in the resource.h file, and are changing it ...

Opening a pst file with Outlook...
I sent home my contacts from outlook at work to my home here. The file is contacts.pst which is 761 KB. I went to outlook and clicked "file" "open" then "open data file" but my contacts are not showing. It brings me to a blank page. Does anyone know or have any idea where the contacts may have gone. I need these fiels ASAP as I am now working from home. If you can help please respond or call my cell at 630.532.1773 It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shaun How did you create this PST? It's too small to contain much data. If you opened it and they...

Creating new data file
How do I create a new data file in Outlook. at the moment I have one personal folder that contains every contact and mail in sub folders. I wish to create a business file that is solely for that purpose and is seperate from any of my other contacts. E.G. Business Folder> Enquiries Sales Purchases Orders Pending Shipped Contacts My server TN4 my Client win98 1. How do I create postoffice in server ? (with outlook 2000) 2. how do i create out look 2000 in my client win98? please send me about detail procedur conecting installation in server and client. thank four your attentions ...

In query how to write group into the same minute? Export to text file?
Hi How can I in a Query write the criteria so that it groups the data from witin every minute? For example many trades that are made in the same minute compressed into that minute (and the analysis will be done in other fields, like: first, high, low, last, sum). And how can I export the result from a query into a testfile? Regards Rolf On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:05:00 +0100, "Rolf" <rolfe@algonet.se> wrote: >Hi >How can I in a Query write the criteria so that it groups the data from >witin every minute? For example many trades that are made in the ...

Files opening at start-up
I just got a new computer and was setting up defaults in Excel, and I mistakenly entered 'My Documents' in the Tools/Options/General field for "At startup, open all files in." So when I start Excel it tries to open EVERY file in My Domuments and I have to use Task Manager to kill it. I opened in Safe Mode to change that option, but that doesn't seem to work. (Ie, when I open Excel again in regular mode it goes back to opening every file.) Is there another way to fix this? THanks! Andrew Can you use Windows Explorer to rename that "my Documents" folder, then ...

MAINTAIN pst files
i know that there are 2 utilities that come with office that can scan and do something else to my pst file. i have outlook 2003 and have no idea where i might find those files. can anyone lead me to the right place? Thank You windows xp There is only 1; scanpst.exe For locations see http://www.msoutlook.info/question/77 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Meg" <meg(removeme)@...

Office 2000 (Delay to open Files)
Greetings, I'm having a challenge on a particular computer opening any office documents. If we double click the file to open it (network or local source) it shows the hour glass for what feels like hours - it may eventually open, sometime we give up. Now, if we open the application first (i.e.: Excel) then go to File-> Open and select any file it opens immediately. I've had this problem before, the only solution I could find at the time was wipe the machine and start over. I tried a repair or re-installation of Office, no change. Windows XP SP3 Office 2000 SP3...

How do you copy open PST files?
Does anyone know how you can copy an open PST file? You can't. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:627b01c42e52$5e5fd030$a401280a@phx.gbl... | Does anyone know how you can copy an open PST file? Milly - thanks for your response. OK, another question - is it possible to shut Outlook down via a command prompt? I.e. I'd like to setup a batch file to backup my PST files, but if I can't copy and open PST file, is it possible to shut down Outlook via a...

How do I back up my complete "my document" file?
I do not know how to back up my "my documents" file and would appreciate knowing how. Do you have any sort of large writeable media (writeable CDs, DVDs, etc)? If so you could try copying your My Documents folder on to them "Dougal" <Dougal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DD55FCB-B576-408F-9BFC-B736ABE17CE6@microsoft.com... >I do not know how to back up my "my documents" file and would appreciate > knowing how. The next issue of "Computeractive" will cover this in some depth. "Dougal" <Dougal@discussi...

Retrieve File Names in Directories
Can anyone tell me how or if it is possible to start at a particular directory and drill down to all subdirectories and get the names of files and the associated paths of each? I was thinking you can do this with the File System Object within Excel VBA?? If anyone could point me to good web site that covers this, it would be appreciated. I basically want to start at one directory and follow all paths until no more directories. So drill both down and accross. Hopefully I am explaining correctly. Hi SharonM, What do you want to do with them after you get them? Dan At a...

large doc files were ok for word 200 hange up with 2003
I previously had no problem handeling large word file of 4-6megs using word 2000, with word 2003 word tends to hang up or takes a long time to load the file up to 10 minutes.. I have to do this frequently and it is really slowing things down. iis there a fix for this?? I think it fair to say that Word 2003 is more stable than Word 2000 and that 4 - 6 mb is a relatively small file and well within the capabilities of either version. My guess is that the document is looking for its template and that template is not available in the original location. Or it (or its template) could ...

Which version necessary to open .xls file?
I have Microsoft Excel 4, and use Windows 2000. I was just sent an .xls file that requires a newer version of Excel. How can I tell which version is necessary...I don't want the latest, largest, glitsiest, buggiest version. I just want to use the minimum version required. The Excel 4 I have does work with .xls files, at least it shows that capabilities, so there must be more than one kind. It tries to open this .xls file but gives me the error message that a newer version is required. Can someone point me in the right direction. I can open this .xls file as text but there is a lot o...

Exporting MSWorks files
Hello: On my old computer I had MSWorks 3.0. I created a database in that formula. I got a new computer and on it I got OfficeXP. I now used Excel 2002 for all my dadbase needs. Can you help me: I transfered all my old data files for Excel, Wordperfect, MSWorks, etc. to my new computer. I Have 1 file from Works that if I could export/download it would make life simple. I want to export that Works file with .WDB extension to Excel, without having the MSWorks program on my new computer. Please Help!! Sincerely, Gina Kuhfuss Here is some information that Ken Wright posted Generally yo...

.sxc files
Hi, is there a way to open .sxc files with Excel (2002, SP-2)? Thanks a lot in advance Marcus Hi Marcus if these are OpenOffice files you may download OpenOffice (approx. 60 MB) to convert them to Excel files (www.openoffice.org) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Marcus wrote: > Hi, > > is there a way to open .sxc files with Excel (2002, SP-2)? > > Thanks a lot in advance > > Marcus ...

M06 file locations
Investigating another user's discovery that the registry has the wrong file locations recorded, I looked into my own. Under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Money\15.0 I find references to Jet files being located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2006\MNYCoreFiles. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2006 exists but C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2006\MNYCoreFiles does not. I installed this in parallel to M04, wanting to test without being able to revert easily. Perhaps the installation routines don't handle that very well. Perhaps related, perhaps not: trying to sync to MSN Money fai...

can you create a msg file without outlook installed ?
Hello: I am look for a vb dot.net solution to create a .msg file on the fly (on a server) without having to have outlook installed. The .msg files will be placed in a Document Management repository. Since this is running on IIS7.0 I need a pure dot.net solution. Thanks T The msg-format is described here; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc463912.aspx There might be some 3rd party libraries for this. You might be better of asking this question in a developer newsgroup own the hall. They all start with outlook.program_ -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coautho...

PST File #5
I can find only 1 PST file for Outlook. Is this the only file that I need to save when I do reformat? Thanks Scott Unhide all hidden files and do another search just to be safe, however Outlook does store everything in one PST file "Tech" <tech2@techauto.com> wrote in message news:kaydnSRyyIUJpYzd4p2dnA@centurytel.net... > I can find only 1 PST file for Outlook. Is this the only file that I need > to save when I do reformat? > > Thanks > > Scott > > Actually, it is possible to create multiple .pst files with different names. >-----Ori...